Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #501
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

In fact, if we must destroy the entire eastern portion of the state, starting with about Columbia and going eastward to the Mississippi, I am willing to make that sacrifice for the good of all.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:16 PM   #502
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
In fact, if we must destroy the entire eastern portion of the state, starting with about Columbia and going eastward to the Mississippi, I am willing to make that sacrifice for the good of all.

SI

Hey now!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:06 AM   #503
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Cards-Tigers twin bill Thursday postponed

Cardinals-Tigers doubleheader postponed | MLB.com

Maybe the Cardinals should use Strat-O-Matic, to play their games.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:16 PM   #504
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Ain't nobody gonna remember that when Kelenic is making his HoF entrance speech.

I'm hoping the Mariners panic and call him up this year so I don't have to watch him at Rainiers games next year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #505
JPhillips
General Manager

lol

32 games and 7 double headers for the Cards in September.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #506
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #507
JPhillips
General Manager

More goodness with the Cards. They are now scheduled to play ten games at Wrigley while the Cubs play zero in StL.

Last edited by JPhillips : 08-14-2020 at 01:35 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #508
PilotMan
Head Coach

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:42 AM   #509
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why weren’t the Cards/Marlins/Reds? forced to field a roster made up of random players in their organization? If the games must go on, tough shit if you’re starting Korean league level pitchers.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:36 AM   #510
Ksyrup

Yeah I don't know why a double A roster is more of an integrity issue than forcing the ML roster to play 55 games in 45 days - with the possibility of more positives or injuries.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-15-2020, 08:07 AM   #511
JPhillips
General Manager

The Reds didn't cancel any games, they played without four players.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:53 AM   #512
Ksyrup

The better comparison would be the Marlins. They fielded a makeshift team a lot sooner than the Cardinals. Not sure what the difference is.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #513
spleen1015
Coordinator

I thought the whole purpose of building these 55 man reserve rosters or whatever you want to call them was so that they would have guys to fill in when people test positive.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:07 AM   #514
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The better comparison would be the Marlins. They fielded a makeshift team a lot sooner than the Cardinals. Not sure what the difference is.

I think the Cardinals continued to have another person test positive while the Marlins all seemed to happen within a few days. I'd have to go back to look and see the time from last positive test to first game.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #515
JPhillips
General Manager

Now the Reds have apositive test, so they may cancel tonight and who knows after that.

edit: And now tonight's game has been cancelled.

edit: And Sunday's game as well. If this gets bad, the Reds might lose their four game series with StL. lol

Last edited by JPhillips : 08-15-2020 at 01:05 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #516
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I thought the whole purpose of building these 55 man reserve rosters or whatever you want to call them was so that they would have guys to fill in when people test positive.

Yeah, this is my question as well. Almost feels like MLB and the owners aren't really that invested in finishing the season to teach the players a lesson.

The Clevinger and Plesac thing is wild as well. Basically sounds like they had a clear the air session with the whole team and it ended up them both sent away from the team back to the minors. To be honest I'd be pissed if I was a teammate of Clevinger with an at risk family member too.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #517
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Now the Reds have apositive test, so they may cancel tonight and who knows after that.

edit: And now tonight's game has been cancelled.

edit: And Sunday's game as well. If this gets bad, the Reds might lose their four game series with StL. lol

That's OK, the Cards' schedule will be revised so that they play 52 games in 26 days.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:05 PM   #518
Atocep
Coordinator

I'd take half a bucket of used baseballs for Amed Rosario right now.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:12 AM   #519
miami_fan
Coordinator

I learned a new unwritten rule today.

Padres' Fernando Tatis Jr. angers Rangers with late grand slam in rout
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:32 AM   #520
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

I love how so many news articles purposely distill the exact wrong fact in the headline to get clicks. He swung at a 3-0 pitch late in a blowout is what pissed them off - which is a pretty stupid unwritten rule, as they all are. At that point, I assume you're just supposed to let the dude throw a strike to get it to 3-1 - or take the walk and RBI.

I learned something new from that article too - the Padres' manager's name.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:19 AM   #521
spleen1015
Coordinator

You don't want me to hit a grand slam on a 3-0 pitch in a blow out win? Don't give me the opportunity.

You'd think this was a 10u B tournament or something.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:59 AM   #522
PilotMan
Head Coach

I mean, if I'm a pitcher, facing Tatis in the exact same situation, the next time I'll just bury it in his ribs and take the outcome. Not that I was pissed about the HR, but because it's a safe gamble and does the job.

I'm guessing in addition to 'gentlemenly rules' there were other reasons for why some things exist.

Like Steam?

Old 08-18-2020, 09:47 AM   #523
spleen1015
Coordinator

More to this Tatis BS.

Texas had their chances. They walked the 2 batters before Tatis.

ROFL to anyone having issues with Tatis.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:55 AM   #524
JPhillips
General Manager

Your contract is based on individual stats. When you start paying more for obeying unwritten rules, fine.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #525
Ksyrup

Something like that would probably come up in an arbitration hearing. Sure he hit 30 HRs, but one was a 3-0 pitch up 7 runs in the 8th!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-18-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #526
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fred McGriff prob wishes he swung on 3-0 about 7 more times in his career.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:23 AM   #527
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Something like that would probably come up in an arbitration hearing. Sure he hit 30 HRs, but one was a 3-0 pitch up 7 runs in the 8th!

And in baseball the X0 marks are overly important. The guy with 40 HRs is thought of much differently than the guy with 39.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #528
molson
General Manager

Not that anybody should ever be criticized for hitting a home run ever, but 7-run leads are not insurmountable. You should still keep trying to play regular baseball at that point, subject to maybe using some lower-leverage pitchers to save the better arms for another day.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:12 PM   #529
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Not that anybody should ever be criticized for hitting a home run ever, but 7-run leads are not insurmountable. You should still keep trying to play regular baseball at that point, subject to maybe using some lower-leverage pitchers to save the better arms for another day.

#allarmsmatter

Like Steam?

Old 08-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #530
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
More to this Tatis BS.

Texas had their chances. They walked the 2 batters before Tatis.

ROFL to anyone having issues with Tatis.

No shit, it's not like he can 'decide' he is going to hit a HR, it is ridiculous to get upset with him for swinging at a pitch 3-0 or 3-1, no difference, maybe don't assume and groove a pitch down the middle. It's not like he stole a base with a 10 run lead and at the end of the day, it's the pitchers job to get him out regardless of the situation, not his to pull it back.

I am sure the Cubs wished they had had a 3-0 pitch to hit out with an 8-0 lead in this game.
1929 World Series Game 4, Chicago Cubs at Philadelphia Athletics, October 12, 1929 | Baseball-Reference.com
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:20 PM   #531
spleen1015
Coordinator

On the segment where they talked about this on MLB Network this morning, they showed video from last season. The Rangers 1B intentionally dropped a foul pop up so that the pitcher would get another chance to strike out the batter for his 200th K of the season.

He hit a low and outside pitch opposite field for a grand slam. It was a hell of a hit. We should be talking about how great one of the young players is. Instead, he's apologizing for being great.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #532
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You don't want me to hit a grand slam on a 3-0 pitch in a blow out win? Don't give me the opportunity.

You'd think this was a 10u B tournament or something.

When my son was playing hockey, they were losing a game, the opposing team was celebrating and the kids didn't like it. The coach said you're not happy about that? Work harder and beat them, and then you can be the ones celebrating.

Same with this.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #533
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
On the segment where they talked about this on MLB Network this morning, they showed video from last season. The Rangers 1B intentionally dropped a foul pop up so that the pitcher would get another chance to strike out the batter for his 200th K of the season.

He hit a low and outside pitch opposite field for a grand slam. It was a hell of a hit. We should be talking about how great one of the young players is. Instead, he's apologizing for being great.

was just coming to post this

MLB: Rangers ripped for helping Mike Minor could get 200th K
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:49 PM   #534
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tatis is just killing baseballs. If I were the Padres I’d desperately be trying to make an unprecedented deal at this point. 10 years 225M maybe?
Old 08-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #535
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Tatis is just killing baseballs. If I were the Padres I’d desperately be trying to make an unprecedented deal at this point. 10 years 225M maybe?

Amazing he was traded by the White sox for James Shields.

Imagine him on this current White sox team, jesus...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:52 PM   #536
lungs
Pro Rookie

Has anybody really complained besides the Rangers' manager? Opinion has seemed pretty unanimous.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:00 PM   #537
Ksyrup

Old 08-18-2020, 01:04 PM   #538
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

When people get concerned about how baseball isn’t seeming to gain that many younger fans, I’d imagine this mentality behind unwritten rules doesn’t help at all.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #539
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Has anybody really complained besides the Rangers' manager? Opinion has seemed pretty unanimous.

Padres manager called him out too but is sort of backtracking now. Let that guy be an animal at the plate.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #540
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Padres manager called him out too but is sort of backtracking now. Let that guy be an animal at the plate.

I thought that was more about him ignoring the sign to take. Which I would also say don’t give him the take sign. But I can see the not paying attention to signs being a point to make to him - but not in the media.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #541
spleen1015
Coordinator

The Padres GM and manager worked for the Rangers for more than 10 years. I think they wanted to be nice to their friends.

You are right ISiddiqui. What other major sports has news cycles dominated by unwritten rules BS many times in a season?

MLB is not what it was in 1924. The players are different. Let them be who they are.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #542
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Next time in that situation he can't complain if somebody sticks a baseball in his ear hole then.

And I don't necessarily have a personal hangup about this particular unwritten rule however if it's a thing within the major league fraternity then that's between him & the rest of the league.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:22 PM   #543
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Let them be who they are.

That rationale accounts for why I've watched a total of two innings -- and not voluntarily -- of this entire "season".

A bird in the hand and all that.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:00 PM   #544
spleen1015
Coordinator

Another stupid unwritten rule. The Rangers feel disrespected so they throw behind Machado. Now that pitcher is out 3 games and the manager 1.

It's just sour grapes.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:17 PM   #545
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Amazing he was traded by the White sox for James Shields.

Imagine him on this current White sox team, jesus...

Yeah that lineup is going to be crazy some day. Once Robert figures out he should be amazing. I’m sure the switch will flip soon.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:11 PM   #546
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

1. If Tatis walks with the bases loaded and a 3-0 count they bitch as well right?

2. Also saw on twitter that the current Rangers manager Chris Woodward hit a grand slam up 10-4 in the 9th.

3. The Rangers hold the major league record for runs scored when they won a game 30-3.

Basically... fuck the Rangers.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:19 PM   #547
Atocep
Coordinator

Pitchers are generally the whiniest and most easily offended guys in baseball. They're always looking for something to take attention away from the fact that they didn't execute in some way. They also look stupid every time they go to the media with something like this.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:48 PM   #548
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
1. If Tatis walks with the bases loaded and a 3-0 count they bitch as well right?

2. Also saw on twitter that the current Rangers manager Chris Woodward hit a grand slam up 10-4 in the 9th.

3. The Rangers hold the major league record for runs scored when they won a game 30-3.

Basically... fuck the Rangers.

Yeah, in a sport that has a litany of stupid unwritten rules, this one, which I was not aware existed until today, is in the running for the trophy of dumbest.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:44 PM   #549
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It's funny because it kinda conflicts with the unwritten rule about no hitters. In those cases, you're supposed to make it easier for the pitcher to get a milestone. In this case, the hitter isn't allowed to go for one. I get that a grand slam isn't as rare as a no hitter, but it's still a cool accomplishment for a young major leaguer, and now a bunch of assholes have tried to make him feel bad about it.

Maybe the unwritten rule should be that pitchers should groove pitches in these situations. I mean, under the theory that the Rangers had zero chance to win (which is wrong, but the only way the unwritten rule makes sense), then they might as well just let the batter get the grand slam.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:19 PM   #550
JPhillips
General Manager

Thom Brenneman was caught on mic saying "one of the fag capitol's of the world."

And started game 2, but was replaced and apologized before he left the air.