Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2020, 03:58 PM   #651
molson
General Manager

Looks like both of our upcoming trips are in big jeopardy. Denmark got hit hard the last few days and is taking aggressive measures.

Anybody doing anything fun with time they took off for trip plans that are now cancelled? There's probably a bunch of Airbnb cancellations, maybe we'll try to find something drive-able that would be fun to do with the dogs. My girlfriend suggested we do some deep spring cleaning, so I need to come up with a better idea fast.

Last edited by molson : 03-11-2020 at 03:58 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #652
spleen1015
Coordinator

The dominoes are starting guys.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #653
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Am I crazy for wanting to keep about 10K in cash around the house in case I need quick money?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #654
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
The dominoes are starting guys.

Kind of my thoughts as well. The next couple weeks could be really, really interesting.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:08 PM   #655
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Trump to address the nation at 9pm.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #656
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Am I crazy for wanting to keep about 10K in cash around the house in case I need quick money?

Why? I don't see any indications that banks will collapse (yet).
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:12 PM   #657
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Trump to address the nation at 9pm.

I saw him on TV with a bunch of Wall St. and Financials folks. If he didn't have all the baggage, thought he did okay other than at the end when he refused to take a CNN reporter's question ... "CNN, fake news, we're done".
Old 03-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #658
tarcone
Coordinator

The University of Iowa has shut down. Virtual classes only after spring break.

Washington University in St. Louis has shut down.

If Universities start shutting down, Im not sure how they have any of the Winter sports final tourneys.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:38 PM   #659
Edward64
Head Coach

Flattening the curve graphic

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/scie...fight-n1155636

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-11-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #660
tarcone
Coordinator

Just saw that March madness games will have no fans. Just family and essential staff.

NCAA: March Madness will be played without fans in attendance | ksdk.com

Old 03-11-2020, 04:47 PM   #661
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm surprised the Secret Service hasn't stepped in at these events yet. Maybe they've tried to no avail but considering his age, seems dangerous as hell.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #662
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Why? I don't see any indications that banks will collapse (yet).

Can't get money if all bank employees are sick. What if I need to pay someone off for something?
Old 03-11-2020, 04:49 PM   #663
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Can't get money if all bank employees are sick. What if I need to pay someone off for something?

Venmo or Cash App may do. Unless you want to keep it super quiet, in that case, you'd have the cash on hand anyways.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:56 PM   #664
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I saw him on TV with a bunch of Wall St. and Financials folks. If he didn't have all the baggage, thought he did okay other than at the end when he refused to take a CNN reporter's question ... "CNN, fake news, we're done".
The tone of his tweets changed fairly dramatically this afternoon as well. Makes me wonder if the medical folks finally got through to him.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:57 PM   #665
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Not something I've thought about or that I've read of anyone in my social circles thinking about at all. That doesn't necessarily mean you're crazy, its just nowhere near my radar yet. I can go from my Discover Online Banking to my local bank to the ATM in just a couple days.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #666
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Not something I've thought about or that I've read of anyone in my social circles thinking about at all. That doesn't necessarily mean you're crazy, its just nowhere near my radar yet. I can go from my Discover Online Banking to my local bank to the ATM in just a couple days.

Can't get money from an ATM is the people who stock it and service it are sick, or if there is no power.

I am talking real societal breakdown shit, not just cash on hand. That being said cash won't mean much if society breaks down. Medicine and guns would likely be the new currency. I floated the idea to my wife of getting a handgun and she wasn't on board.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #667
tarcone
Coordinator

BUY GOLD! BUY GOLD! BUY GOLD! AND TOILET PAPER!

Old 03-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #668
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
The tone of his tweets changed fairly dramatically this afternoon as well. Makes me wonder if the medical folks finally got through to him.

I don't think we've seen any evidence that this kind of thing would last for more than an afternoon for him, if Fox & Friends contradicts his medical experts tomorrow morning, all bets are off. Absolutely terrified letting this guy address the nation to try to encourage awareness/some action but discourage a panic.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:05 PM   #669
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I don't think we've seen any evidence that this kind of thing would last for more than an afternoon for him, if Fox & Friends contradicts his medical experts tomorrow morning, all bets are off. Absolutely terrified letting this guy address the nation to try to encourage awareness/some action but discourage a panic.

Every time he opens his stupid mouth he makes it worse.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #670
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

BITCOIN!!!
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:10 PM   #671
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Actually, some would say silver is better. But definitely toilet paper!
Old 03-11-2020, 05:13 PM   #672
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
I confess, I don't understand all these closures and cancellations and general panic.

Reasons being:

1. The flu is potentially deadly, especially to the elderly and those with underlying conditions. Tens of thousands die from the flu in the US every year. So just how much MORE deadly is this strain? That to me is the single, most important piece of info, and I'm shocked that after searching for a while online, I couldn't find that info front and center.

2. California just announced 3 TSA workers tested positive. That, to me, seems like the last straw. This thing isn't contained and can't be, no matter how much stuff we cancel. So, what good are we really doing by cancelling flights and events and stuff?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist skeptic, just confused. I don't understand why this genie, which appears to be inescapably out of the bottle, is any more scary than the other genies that are already walking around every day.

The best case numbers we've seen puts the fatality rate at 0.7% while on the high end the rate is somewhere in the ballpark of 3%. The swine flu was twice as deadly as a normal flu and had a fatality rate of 0.2%

We do not have vaccines to help break the spread of this so it's best to get out in front of it rather than wait for it to become too widespread to contain. Why wait until millions are infected to start canceling events when we have medical professionals all over the world strongly recommending the steps cities and event organizers are taking? These aren't precautions being taken blindly. We have scientists and medical experts that are dealing with this in other countries making suggestions.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #673
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

He's apparently waiting for Kushner to read up on it to make a decision about it.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #674
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
He's apparently waiting for Kushner to read up on it to make a decision about it.

Kushner has to figure out how to profit off it first.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:21 PM   #675
Ben E Lou

Quote:
To be clear, by "got to him," I'm thinking "Oh no, it sounds like if I don't do something I could lose the election."

Another out-of-character tweet a few minutes ago...

Old 03-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #676
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Can't get money from an ATM is the people who stock it and service it are sick, or if there is no power.

I am talking real societal breakdown shit, not just cash on hand. That being said cash won't mean much if society breaks down. Medicine and guns would likely be the new currency. I floated the idea to my wife of getting a handgun and she wasn't on board.

I think you’re overreacting somewhat.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:23 PM   #677
RainMaker
General Manager

Not trying to downplay this but this isn't some plague wiping out half the population. It sounds like the death rate will be between 1-2%, and that is primarily elderly people who aren't exactly stocking the ATM machines. And from what I've read, young people seem to handle this fairly well outside of a small percent who have complications.

Below are the numbers out of South Korea. The rates of death for people under 50 are right around flu levels.

This is a virus that really fucks up older people.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-11-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:26 PM   #678
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Okay, I see the scenario you are painting.

Cash for maybe some last minute spending before it all really breaks down. If you really think society can break down for an extended period of time, sure get some cash (but the value is questionable), and I would also suggest you make sure you have enough food & water, medicine, plan for immediate family, maybe pay off several months of bills, get to know your neighbors if not already, and then get a weapon.

Let me reiterate that you need to be a responsible gun owner. This means training, gun safe etc. and always be conscious (and accountable) for your actions.

As someone else pointed out, there are sheep (BAAAA-den - don't agree with the characterization but was kinda funny) and there are wolves, especially more so when society collapses for a while. Katrina is my use case but I don't think we are close to that extreme.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-11-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:28 PM   #679
miami_fan
Coordinator

Per the BBC website,

Juventus have announced that Italy centre-back Daniele Rugani has tested positive for coronavirus.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:28 PM   #680
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
BITCOIN!!!

Unfortunately, Bitcoin is taking a dive too right now.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #681
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Am I wrong that I'm beginning to think the country is overreacting to the virus?
Old 03-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #682
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Am I wrong that I'm beginning to think the country is overreacting to the virus?

You think? Jesus H Christ FOFC, get a grip!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:43 PM   #683
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

No. It's a virus at least 10 times deadlier than the flu that spreads easier and has no vaccine.

Some of the conservative estimates are putting deaths at 300k.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:50 PM   #684
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Well its pretty much a yearly trend since social media became huge that something big is going to wipe out a large portion of the planet. It appears to be overreaction but I guess we wont know until later. Better to be safe than sorry!

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-11-2020 at 05:52 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:51 PM   #685
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Two weeks from tomorrow, I'm scheduled to chaperone my daughters' school's annual 5th grade trip to DC. 3 buses. 5 hours each way. What could possibly go wrong in a confined space with 120 10-year-olds for 10 hours???

I'm saying 20% chance that they go ahead with the trip.
We just got the call. Cancelled.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:54 PM   #686
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
You think? Jesus H Christ FOFC, get a grip!

So you and NobodyHere care to share what you think are overreactions?
Old 03-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #687
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
We just got the call. Cancelled.

Our band/choir trip to Boston -- for Apr. 23 -- has been canceled.

Of course I'm the music booster treasurer, so I'm going to have to figure out refunds for everyone assuming we get money back from the travel company.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:02 PM   #688
PilotMan
Head Coach

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #689
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Has anyone got information on the impact on kids? I've seen some higher death rates for older people, but I haven't seen much data on the impact to kids.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:09 PM   #690
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Has anyone got information on the impact on kids? I've seen some higher death rates for older people, but I haven't seen much data on the impact to kids.

See post #550. Basically kids are around .2% assuming no pre-existing conditions. Not sure how precise the % is but it's accepted that kids and young adults are at much lower risk.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:13 PM   #691
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This is a virus that really fucks up older people.

I am aware of how fucked up this sounds, but the end result of this could be a net benefit for some governments by the reduction of population from these age brackets in terms of sustainability of federal social security programs, pensions, etc. as well as long-term medicare/healthcare costs.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:13 PM   #692
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Literally just watched this, scary stuff from someone who seems credible.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #693
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post

Preliminary data shows kids are at less risk and as of right now science can't explain why. IIRC, even in China, there hadn't been a death reported of any child age 9 or younger.

Access Denied

Quote:
Why Are Kids at Lower Risk?
Dr. John Swartzberg, clinical professor emeritus of infectious diseases and vaccinology at the University of California—Berkeley School of Public Health, adds a note of caution. Yes, he says, “the preliminary epidemiological data suggest that children don’t seem to get as sick as adults, but I want to emphasize that this is very preliminary data out of China.”

However, the CDC reports that this is consistent with data from past coronavirus outbreaks, such as severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus, or SARS-CoV, and Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus, or MERS-CoV, where infection among children was “relatively uncommon” in those outbreaks.

The reasons for this remain a mystery. “Nobody understands why,” Murphy says. “It just appears not to be impacting them to any significant degree compared to teens and adults.” Swartzberg is willing to speculate, though he says, “these are only guesses. There is no science to support it.” One guess is that the virus first entered adults and has mostly spread from adult to adult, so it may be genetically predisposed somehow to affect older people. Another guess is based on the fact that other forms of the coronavirus are very common in children. “About one-third of all coronavirus infections are in children, so the idea is that maybe children are getting these other coronaviruses and that may be some protection. But again, this is all conjecture.”

Swartzberg also stresses: “We don’t even know for certain that (children) are getting less disease. There are less than two months of data. We don’t know, in children and adults, how many are infected and don’t even have any symptoms. There could be a lot of us walking around with (what seems like) colds who have this, or they may be asymptomatic.” That, of course, would make the disease and death rates even lower than already thought.

Last edited by Atocep : 03-11-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #694
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Unfortunately, Bitcoin is taking a dive too right now.

True, but it’s still up 6.75% ytd and up 97.05% for 1-yr. Slightly better than the Dow.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:34 PM   #695
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So you and NobodyHere care to share what you think are overreactions?

Well shutting down the economy because of a virus that is mainly lethal to the elderly with complications does seem like an overreaction to me.

The recession that our reaction is going to cause may be more troublesome than the virus itself.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:44 PM   #696
miami_fan
Coordinator

The elderly still the most consistent voting bloc in the country, right?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:54 PM   #697
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Preliminary data shows kids are at less risk and as of right now science can't explain why. IIRC, even in China, there hadn't been a death reported of any child age 9 or younger.

Access Denied

Has there been a movie or TV series where a virus kills off all adults, leaving all the children in the world to figure it out? I'd watch that.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:03 PM   #698
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Has there been a movie or TV series where a virus kills off all adults, leaving all the children in the world to figure it out? I'd watch that.

The Tribe (1999 TV series - Wikipedia)

It was young adult sci-fi from New Zealand, and it was gloriously bad.

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-11-2020 at 07:05 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:12 PM   #699
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
The Tribe (1999 TV series - Wikipedia)

It was young adult sci-fi from New Zealand, and it was gloriously bad.

Well, I know how I’m spending our upcoming quarantine.

Edit: Holy crap - 260 episodes? Never mind, quarantine won’t be long enough.

Last edited by bob : 03-11-2020 at 07:22 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #700
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Well shutting down the economy because of a virus that is mainly lethal to the elderly with complications does seem like an overreaction to me.

The recession that our reaction is going to cause may be more troublesome than the virus itself.

I feel like people would be OK with a recession over seeing half a million people die.