Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #851
bob
College Starter

Supposedly Atlanta closed schools for 2 weeks but unsure of others. Cobb as well.

Might as well close down for four weeks at this point. Being out 2 weeks to come back for 1 just to go on spring break seems dumb given the circumstances.

Last edited by bob : 03-12-2020 at 04:03 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #852
RainMaker
General Manager

Biden's idea to set up mobile hospitals seems like a good idea.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #853
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Supposedly Atlanta closed schools for 2 weeks but unsure of others. Cobb as well.

Might as well close down for four weeks at this point. Being out 2 weeks to come back for 1 just to go on spring break seems dumb given the circumstances.

Fulton closed until further notice. Very short email to staff that said more detail forthcoming in official communication.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #854
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
After making fun of people for freaking out about it and purposely touching things to make a point.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:32 PM   #855
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I'm in Dekalb, so the only thing that matters is who paid the BOE members more.
#Facts
Old 03-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #856
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Um... holy shit.

I just got off the phone with my doctor. The guidance she's getting is that for folks who are immuno-compromised. (I am, two medicines I take are immune supressants) are to avoid gatherings of more than 20 people, and I'm not to come in for scheduled follow-ups if the situation is fairly stable (of course, I have to report any symptoms IMMEDIATELY if not sooner).

This is going to be a crazy couple months.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #857
spleen1015
Coordinator

Good luck man.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #858
Atocep
Coordinator

Washington announced all public schools in King, Pierce (that's me), and Snohomish counties are to close by March 17th and are scheduled to reopen on April 24th.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #859
RainMaker
General Manager

What was the reasoning behind cutting the pandemic response team a couple years ago? Doesn't seem like deficits matter much to Trump so it seems like a silly thing to cut.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #860
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What was the reasoning behind cutting the pandemic response team a couple years ago? Doesn't seem like deficits matter much to Trump so it seems like a silly thing to cut.

Trump said it was a waste of money and he can get them back together if needed (spoiler: he can't).
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:16 PM   #861
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Basically: "Obama created it? Get rid of it."
Old 03-12-2020, 05:18 PM   #862
MIJB#19
Coordinator

At least until April 1st, we (The Netherlands) will be in some sort of semi lockdown. All 17M inhabitants are asked to avoid social gatherings as much as possible (everything of 100+ people is completely out of the question) and working at home is heavily encouraged (mandatory with any kind of symptoms of the flu). Curiously, all schools through the age of (+/-)18 are asked to stay open. Restrictions and requests are somewhat differently for those working in the cure and care sector (I'm in the later), as they're asked to stay available as much as possible, but we'll have to see where that goes for people just strictly working at the office (like me). Traveling abroad is discouraged (even forbidden for people in my area of business). Containing is the word now, it's clear that this is the only way to avoid widely fast spreading this thing.

A discouraging thing is that until about a week ago, all positive tests were said to be linked with people having returned home from (Northern) Italy (perhaps sample size issues at work here?), but that's no longer the case. Finding out where it started looks no longer possible. Too many people from across the country have been at massive social gatherings in the last weekend of February in the largest province of the country, which is also where the highest percentage of positive tests has been. A large test amongst hospital employees showed 4% tested positive in that province, regardless of whether they had any symptoms of the flu.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #863
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 03-12-2020, 05:25 PM   #864
RainMaker
General Manager

Has there been an explanation for the lack of tests and testing? Is it a supply issue? Coordination issue? It really seems like South Korea is doing an amazing job handling this. Their death rate is remarkably low compared to other areas of the world.

Coronavirus in South Korea: How 'trace, test and treat' may be saving lives - BBC News
Old 03-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #865
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Has there been an explanation for the lack of tests and testing? Is it a supply issue? Coordination issue? It really seems like South Korea is doing an amazing job handling this. Their death rate is remarkably low compared to other areas of the world.

Coronavirus in South Korea: How 'trace, test and treat' may be saving lives - BBC News

Coronavirus Test Kits | Covid-19 Test Kits | Coronavirus Testing

(bit from the article)

There's a massive shortage of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) test kits in the U.S., as cases continue to skyrocket in places like Seattle and New York City. This is largely due to the failure of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to distribute the tests in a timely fashion.

But it didn't have to be this way. Back in January and February—when cases of the deadly disease began aggressively circulating outside of China—diagnostics already existed in places like Wuhan, where the pandemic began. Those tests followed World Health Organization (WHO) test guidelines, which the U.S. decided to eschew.

Instead, the CDC created its own in-depth diagnostics that could identify not only COVID-19, but a host of SARS-like coronaviruses. Then, disaster struck: When the CDC sent tests to labs during the first week of February, those labs discovered that while the kits did detect COVID-19, they also produced false positives when checking for other viruses. As the CDC went back to the drawing board to develop yet more tests, precious time ticked away..

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-12-2020 at 05:29 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #866
PilotMan
Head Coach

All the NKY schools are closed starting Monday subject to change.

I'm flying to Newark tomorrow to hang out at EWR for 7 or 8 hours, subject to an assignment (for the 3rd time this month.)

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 03-12-2020 at 05:33 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #867
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

It seems we are too greedy and need to squeeze a buck out of anything even citizens suffering.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:36 PM   #868
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm guessing all schools around the country will be closed soon. I know that helped a lot with the Spanish Flu. I guess the twist is that this virus doesn't seem to really be hitting kids.

They are the prime carries and transmitters I bet. I got five school age kids and my wife is a fifth grade teacher.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:37 PM   #869
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
The Tribe (1999 TV series - Wikipedia)

It was young adult sci-fi from New Zealand, and it was gloriously bad.

I am going to watch at least two episodes of this over the weekend and report back.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:44 PM   #870
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I am going to watch at least two episodes of this over the weekend and report back.

I will hold you to that! It is sooo bad, but I watched the whole series.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #871
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I still don't see it.

I was wrong. The numbers are still the same and I was wrong. I just wasn't seeing the bigger picture and underestimating the rate of spread, as well as the unreported rates.

The biggest issue right now is that there are no tests, hospitals have to assume that anyone with symptoms even close have it, and some of them are looking at the Italy situation and rightly freaking the fuck out.

It is what it is, and it's going to be a really rough year.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:53 PM   #872
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I will hold you to that! It is sooo bad, but I watched the whole series.

It can't be that bad, right? 260 episodes!
Old 03-12-2020, 06:03 PM   #873
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So I have a blood disorder that requires periodic phlebotomy and follow up. It is called hemochromotosis if anyone is interested.

I had a check up today to have a blood draw done and meet with my hematologist. I am fine and not really at higher risk, despite having Type 2 diabetes caused by this disorder.

When I have my blood drawn they do it right at the office, which is in the hospital in the oncology wing. Prior to even being allowed in the elevator they had a cop verbally screening people.

While in the exam room the phone rings and the guy doing the blood draw answers. It was the hospital phone, not his cell.

I obviously can only hear half the conversation but he is obviously exasperated, and saying things like

" wasn't she screened"

"didn't she have a masl"

:are you kidding me!"

There is a full lab downstairs on the first floor. turns out someone went to the lab who was systematic. The protocol is they immediately mask them and tell them they need to go home and call the health department for guidance. Turns out not only did they stay, but removed their mask and hung out for a while.

We are all so screwed.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #874
JPhillips
General Manager

If we shut down for a month or so it would make a huge difference, but I don't think we're going to be willing to do that until there are a lot of dead parents and grand-parents.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #875
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Stores out/shortage of TP?
No problem just buy multiboxes of kleenex/nose tissue.
Some brands may be fragranted, but it works works just as good.

Last edited by tucker rocky : 03-12-2020 at 06:46 PM.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #876
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post

Tell that to the sewer line.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:09 PM   #877
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

If you are forced to stay home...just use the shower. Damn I don't get the TP hysteria...or use paper towels and a trash can like a large portion of the world.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #878
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Kleenex ain't strong enough for my shit.

But I got in early so have 2 months to Charmin extra strong TP and not sweating it.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #879
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow so Ohio head of state health department says they have over 100000 infected.
In Italy they have had to start with battlefield triage. For anyone who has not been in the military and especially combat that means they focus on those who can be saved and not spend resources or time on those who are unlikely to survive. Just make them comfortable and focus on those they can save. I saw a head of a hospital chain in New Rochelle they have to at least be prepared to d9 the same if too many get sick.
In Iran there is satellite evidence of them dig mass graves for the dead.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:25 PM   #880
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
If you are forced to stay home...just use the shower. Damn I don't get the TP hysteria...or use paper towels and a trash can like a large portion of the world.

This. If needed you can you old cloth and wash it. Lack of TP isn't the end of society.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:30 PM   #881
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Wow so Ohio head of state health department says they have over 100000 infected.
In Italy they have had to start with battlefield triage. For anyone who has not been in the military and especially combat that means they focus on those who can be saved and not spend resources or time on those who are unlikely to survive. Just make them comfortable and focus on those they can save. I saw a head of a hospital chain in New Rochelle they have to at least be prepared to d9 the same if too many get sick.
In Iran there is satellite evidence of them dig mass graves for the dead.

100,000?
Have you got any link for that?
That's the kind of fear mongering I just don't understand.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:34 PM   #882
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Disney World closing starting March 15th through the end of March. Crazy to think I was there just last week.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #883
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
100,000?

I saw similar.

It is less than 1% of their population. Do you really think thats such a large number?
Old 03-12-2020, 07:40 PM   #884
tarcone
Coordinator

Okay this one is strange. I called my daughter telling her to be prepared when they shut her school down (Southeast Missouri St.). An hour later she calls me back and tells me it is shut down. But weirdly enough, the dorms and Greek houses are staying open. WTF?

Whats the point of shutting down classes if you are not shutting down the dorms.

Then I ran into a girl that played ball with my daughter. They shut her school down during spring break ad wont let students back until April 6. She packed 4 days of spring break. WTF?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #885
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Ohio Department of Health believes 100,000 Ohioans are carrying coronavirus
Old 03-12-2020, 07:45 PM   #886
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I stopped at Albertson's grocery store early this afternoon to pick up some chicken to throw on the grill. Normally, the parking lot is about 10% full at this time. I had trouble finding a space. First thing I see is some lady coming out with a shopping cart full of toilet paper and jugs of water.

When I get inside, there are "sheeple" with overflowing carts lined up 12 deep at each cash register, and the self-serve kiosks have about 20 people standing in line.

The irony is that if these idiots kept to their normal shopping patterns, they would be LESS likely to be at risk than packing themselves together like sardines.

I said "Fuck it" and went through the El Pollo Loco drive thru.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #887
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Little League International just contacted our local board and recommended that we shut down all baseball activities for Little League until April 6. Man, we don't even get local Little League, ugh.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #888
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Okay this one is strange. I called my daughter telling her to be prepared when they shut her school down (Southeast Missouri St.). An hour later she calls me back and tells me it is shut down. But weirdly enough, the dorms and Greek houses are staying open. WTF?

Whats the point of shutting down classes if you are not shutting down the dorms.
Many schools are leaving the dorms and a "student union" eating spot open to accommodate the international students. If you are studying in Boston, but are from India, what would you do if they shut the dorms down for 2 weeks? You could fly back to India, but good luck getting back here when schools open back up (plus the expense of it all).
Old 03-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #889
spleen1015
Coordinator

Got the call tonight.

My daughter's school district is closing Monday for 2 weeks then it is spring break.

So, 3 weeks then we'll see how it goes.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #890
tarcone
Coordinator

This is the most confusing thing ever. Does anyone really know what is going on?

I mean, one girls college shuts them out, another lets them live on campus.

What is going on? Italy is shut down, No news out of CHina recently. WTF?

This is the dumbest disease ever.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:56 PM   #891
Edward64
Head Coach

It's snowballing. Daughter's and wife's school systems are shut down for "indefinitely" right now. There is a school meeting to figure out for how long and how to do remote classes tomorrow.

My son also let us know today that college said shut down for a while, remote classes, and don't come back to the dorms after spring break (exception for foreign students). Not a big deal for my son, he is on an off-campus apartment.

Looks like many schools & universities are going to temporary shutdowns and remote classes.

I wonder if part of this is fear of being sued?

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-12-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:59 PM   #892
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I stopped at Albertson's grocery store early this afternoon to pick up some chicken to throw on the grill. Normally, the parking lot is about 10% full at this time. I had trouble finding a space. First thing I see is some lady coming out with a shopping cart full of toilet paper and jugs of water.

When I get inside, there are "sheeple" with overflowing carts lined up 12 deep at each cash register, and the self-serve kiosks have about 20 people standing in line.

The irony is that if these idiots kept to their normal shopping patterns, they would be LESS likely to be at risk than packing themselves together like sardines.

I said "Fuck it" and went through the El Pollo Loco drive thru.

I went to Costco today. Bruh...
Old 03-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #893
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
100,000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I saw similar.

It is less than 1% of their population. Do you really think thats such a large number?

Ohio Health Department Director Believes at Least 100,000 Ohioans Are Already Infected With Coronavirus

Not fear monger if true. I actually saw it reported on Faux News. Lol
Old 03-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #894
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I saw similar.

Considering it’s almost equal the confirmed number of cases globally ...yeah I think it’s pretty irresponsible.
It’s pretty much yelling fire in a crowded theater.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 03-12-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:08 PM   #895
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Considering it’s almost equal the confirmed number of cases globally ...yeah I think it’s pretty irresponsible.

Why is that irresponsible. That very likely is the case. This thing has a R factor of 2or 3 which means it spreads like compound interest works.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:10 PM   #896
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Dola - to be clear I’m not suggesting it’s not an issue. It needs to be taken seriously and has been handled poorly, globally.

But it’s also not insta death end of the world stuff either.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:11 PM   #897
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

But it isn't.

It is no secret we haven't been testing. Confirmed cases mean nothing.

If you look at the rate of transmition, exponential growth, etc...it isn't hard to fathom 1% of a states population could be carrying this.

Honestly I think the far more irresponsible thing is to pretend it isn't this bad and claim things are being blown out of proportion. Look how thats worked out so far.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:15 PM   #898
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Why is that irresponsible. That very likely is the case. This thing has a R factor of 2or 3 which means it spreads like compound interest works.

There are 5 confirmed cases in Ohio.
With a true r3 that’s 9 orders of magnitude. 9 Levels of r3.

South Korea who has done more tests than anywhere and has been dealing with this for much longer, before it contagious level was known ....has roughly 10% the number of infection in the entire country you suggest the state of Ohio has.

And that’s without taking into account hygiene and technology and density advantages Ohio would have.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:24 PM   #899
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

But we are better than a large part of the world, we must use TP. And not that cheap shit either.

I don't get the TP hysteria either.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:30 PM   #900
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Ohio has now banned 100+ gatherings.

so much for my genesis recreation band concert at the end of the month. Several plays cancelled.

i was sick anyway so like....just every day for me sitting here
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote