Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #1251
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Lotsa victims, only 2-3 lions.
Enjoy the spectacle.

What do you think football is? It's a game played for the enjoyment of fans. Without TV audiences and fans in the stadium, there is no reason for its existence.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:33 AM   #1252
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Do y'all just completely erase the FCS (or lower) playoffs from your minds or something? Last year in the FCS (2019-2020), North Dakota State beat James Madison in the Championship Game to go 16-0 (James Madison ended up at 14-2).
Yep, though NoDak's dominance does support Jon's contention that you'd probably still have the same handful of teams in the final, and that it would both lead to teams resting players and make regular season games much less meaningful. The Clemson/ND games this year are just one example - ND's win over Clemson didn't mean as much because we knew they'd likely play again in the ACCCG, and that ACCCG loss didn't hurt much because it's like, okay, the game next week vs Alabama is still happening.

I'm down with an expansion to 6, or 8, or 16, because I like watching MOAR football (and I loved the FCS playoffs when UMass was in the mix), but the added excitement in December would only be in place of heightened stakes during September-November. I also love the outside chance of a cinderella run, but truthfully it'd probably just be a 2-3 loss Alabama/Ohio State that ever made a run from outside the top 4. (And I 100% would not want to go back to 2 or the old bowl system. I don't think there has ever been a time there was a #5 as deserving as the top 2, but there 100% are examples where 3 power conference undefeated teams show up, or the 1997's where Nebraska & Michigan should have played (or even 1993 where ND & FSU should have gotten a 2nd chance to settle it on the field.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
As I mentioned, the number of injuries at the pro level is the highest. That's why they have active rosters, injured reserve lists, and free agent signings to replace injured players. I suppose they might as well do the same thing in FBS. They've bastardized everything else.
The NFL has 53 player rosters, D1 is 85. They keep roster limits low for competitive balance and to spread the talent out.

Clemson/Ohio State was a hard hitting game, so was UMass vs UNH or App State back in 2006 when I was in school. If you have stats I'd be interested to see them but I just don't think there is any appreciable difference in injury rates between NFL, FBS & high level FCS teams.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:18 AM   #1253
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Nick Saban must be getting bored because he is really upping his difficulty level in rehabilitating coaches. Gase gonna be BC coach by 2024?

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:54 PM   #1254
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
I'm going to respectfully disagree. Before the playoff system, it used to be a big deal for the fans, players and coaches of the Big Ten and Pac Ten teams to make it to the Rose Bowl. Likewise for the SEC champion to make it to the Sugar Bowl. Many people, including Nick Saban have said the same thing. Now, these players hear that these games aren't important anymore, and the playoff is the only thing that counts. They hear it from the media and their fanbases, and it's no wonder that it's sadly been trivialized to the point of being a joke now.
Yup, and it used to be exciting when the circus came to town. My grandma was excited the first time she saw a car. Times change. It used to be that the bowls were the only time many teams got on tv. People used to have to listen to games on the radio. Now there are dozens of national games every week, and every game is at least locally televised. THE GAME IS NOT THE SAME. It is never ever ever going back. Might as well get used to it. WAnt to see more players excited to play after the regular season? The only way to do it is more playoff games.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-04-2021 at 03:55 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:49 PM   #1255
cuervo72
Head Coach

Bring back the Blue-Gray Game! And Notre Dame highlights!
Old 01-04-2021, 11:42 PM   #1256
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
It used to be that the bowls were the only time many teams got on tv. People used to have to listen to games on the radio. Now there are dozens of national games every week, and every game is at least locally televised. THE GAME IS NOT THE SAME. It is never ever ever going back. Might as well get used to it. WAnt to see more players excited to play after the regular season? The only way to do it is more playoff games.

All of the FBS games have been televised at least locally for the past decade, and the majority of them have been televised going back to the early 2000's. The bowls were fine until the four team playoff started in 2014. That's when "they didn't want to be there because they didn't qualify for the playoff" BS started, followed by the opt-outs.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:01 AM   #1257
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
All of the FBS games have been televised at least locally for the past decade, and the majority of them have been televised going back to the early 2000's. The bowls were fine until the four team playoff started in 2014. That's when "they didn't want to be there because they didn't qualify for the playoff" BS started, followed by the opt-outs.
I'm not going to completely deny it, but I think there have clearly been other pushes towards athlete empowerment/understanding their value since then as well.

And if you mean what I think in the last sentence, then I'll definitely argue against that - good teams who thought they had a chance to play for a title but weren't chosen underachieving in bowl games is a tradition dating back much longer than 2014!
Old 01-05-2021, 01:08 AM   #1258
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm not going to completely deny it, but I think there have clearly been other pushes towards athlete empowerment/understanding their value since then as well.

And it's long swung far too far in the wrong direction of letting the inmates run the asylum.

Stop coddling and subsidizing these zero character pricks and let them have a dose of reality: if they're such hot shit then by all means, let them enter the workforce on their own.

I'd rather see it all shut down than continue in the direction its been heading.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:23 AM   #1259
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
And it's long swung far too far in the wrong direction of letting the inmates run the asylum.

Stop coddling and subsidizing these zero character pricks and let them have a dose of reality: if they're such hot shit then by all means, let them enter the workforce on their own.

I'd rather see it all shut down than continue in the direction its been heading.
Because I know you'll give the full answer, let's put a name to it. Ja'Marr Chase looked like a surefire 1st round (/top 10) pick coming into the season. Ignoring the regular season because COVID, if his LSU team had been in the playoff (let's assume) he would have played. And if they were 7-5 & playing in the Liberty Bowl vs Southern Miss he would have sat out because he had already proven enough to be given millions upon entering "the workforce". Would you be upset with him in the latter case, or would you respect that decision?
Old 01-05-2021, 01:26 AM   #1260
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Toss Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields into that mix - if somehow their teams were #5 would you have been upset if they sat the bowl game out, seeing as they are promised millions already & only have the slim chance of a devastating downside?
Old 01-05-2021, 07:13 AM   #1261
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Because I know you'll give the full answer, let's put a name to it. Ja'Marr Chase looked like a surefire 1st round (/top 10) pick coming into the season. Ignoring the regular season because COVID, if his LSU team had been in the playoff (let's assume) he would have played. And if they were 7-5 & playing in the Liberty Bowl vs Southern Miss he would have sat out because he had already proven enough to be given millions upon entering "the workforce". Would you be upset with him in the latter case, or would you respect that decision?
We already know (have had this discussion many times), he would be upset. Ja'Marr would be devastated, but he will happily have his millions to comfort him. I promise you if he had played in that meaningless bowl and got hurt, Jon would not give recoup him the millions he lost.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-05-2021 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:02 AM   #1262
Ksyrup

Quote:
let them enter the workforce on their own.

I second this. Guys should have the right to go pro straight out of high school if they think they can do it. Don't force any athlete to go to college (or wait 1-3 years before being eligible for the pros). Let them sink/swim by making their own choice. If that means CFB loses the top 2% of the talent, oh well.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-05-2021, 08:05 AM   #1263
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I second this. Guys should have the right to go pro straight out of high school if they think they can do it. Don't force any athlete to go to college (or wait 1-3 years before being eligible for the pros). Let them sink/swim by making their own choice. If that means CFB loses the top 2% of the talent, oh well.

I agree with this also, and for the NBA as well.

But not the crazy old man shaking his fists at clouds "shut it all down" shit.

Hearing JiMGa call anyone "zero character pricks" is laughable.

Last edited by Butter : 01-05-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:09 AM   #1264
Ksyrup

..which is why I carefully selected what I quoted. I've just learned to leave that stuff alone.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:15 AM   #1265
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Once CFB decided on a playoff, it diminished the meaning of the non-playoff bowl games.

The only surprising thing is that people were surprised that kids lost the motivation to go to Western Nebraska in January to play in the InterstateBatteries.com bowl or some similar shit.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:16 AM   #1266
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: I just attracted a bot that's going to show up in a day or two to try to sell us all car batteries, didn't I?
Old 01-05-2021, 08:19 AM   #1267
Ksyrup

I don't buy that. If the top 2 teams played for the title, that doesn't change the fact that the rest of the bowl games mean nothing. At best, it just means you likely aren't going to be able to finish in the top 4 now that there's a 4-team playoff. Those games never meant anything. This just happens to coincide with player empowerment and more guys not wanting to risk an injury before they get paid. We'd be seeing guys opting out even if the BCS was still in effect.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #1268
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

That's not very "woke" of you.

Reading the general tone of most of these posts, there probably is no going back to some semblance of college football as a college sport.

If, in fact that's the direction moving forward, additional changes need to be made. First, college football will be recognized for what it is, a farm system for the NFL. Realignment and playoff scheduling should be done to mimic the NFL as much as is practical. This will require the elimination of all of the bowl games and reclassification of players from student-athletes to paid employees of the university. Although attending classes and getting an education will become extraneous, the contracts can be written so those players who wish to do so can also have their books and tutorial expenses paid for by the university.

There will be a salary cap implemented and strictly enforced through financial audits and oversight from the NCFL (National College Football League). Although teams must stay within that cap, they will not be limited to the amount they can spend on recruiting expenses, stadium and facility upgrades etc. Players are not obligated to accept the salary that is offered, and they can hold out for more favorable contracts.

The current transfer portal is a step in the right direction, but remains too restrictive and further changes need to be make to move toward college free agency, more in line with the NFL.

As for scheduling, there will also need to be some significant changes. What used to be known as "rivalry week", the last weekend of regular season games will no longer exist. These particular match-ups (e.g. Ohio State vs. Michigan, Alabama vs. Auburn, etc.) will be randomly scheduled throughout the season instead of the last game of the season. On that final weekend, many of the teams that have already clinched berths in their respective conference championship games will understandably be resting their starters and these games do not need to be devalued any further than necessary.

There are more changes that need to take place in order to move toward NFL-lite, but these will be big steps in the right direction.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 01-05-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:22 AM   #1269
GrantDawg

I think you may be joking Vic, but that is exactly what college football has become. It is a multi-billion dollar industry, but it unfairly use cheap labor to enrichen those at the top. If you want the college game to go back to an amateur sport, the best way to do that is for the NFL to develop a minor league system. The NFL benefits tremendously from the college programs paying to train for their future players .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2021, 10:29 AM   #1270
JPhillips
General Manager

One rule change would make me happy, that every D1 athletic department had to balance the budget with no income from student fees or tuition. If they are self-sustaining, I really don't care what they do. That would end up with a two-tier system of a couple of dozen programs playing professional sports and the rest returning to a more amateur system.

It won't happen, but it could with a pretty simple rule change.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #1271
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Hearing JiMGa call anyone "zero character pricks" is laughable.

I have zero respect for any alleged competitor* who pulls the sit out stunt, that's never been a secret. I'd neither draft them nor hire them to empty garbage cans because, ultimately, they've already shown you that they'll quit. No better than thieves afaic.

*I've already established the narrow & rare exceptions that arise, I feel no need to restate them again
Old 01-05-2021, 06:49 PM   #1272
HerRealName
College Prospect

There are a lot of rumors that OSU is going to have multiple DTs out due to Covid. Not ideal. The DTs are normally one of the best position groups for Ohio State.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:14 PM   #1273
miami_fan
Coordinator

Alabama Crimson Tide wide receiver DeVonta Smith wins Heisman Trophy
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:40 PM   #1274
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That's great. I'd love to hear whatever you're willing to share.

Sorry it took me so long. This game was the one I wanted more than any other one in my career...more than the Rose Bowl...more than the championship game.

We had to be on base at 10am and the game kicked off at 3pm so we had a lot of time to kill. They were filming Game Day across the reservoir and at the practice field behind the stadium so I went and watched some of that as it was happening live.

I got to stand on the field and watch each cadet and midshipmen march on and off the field. Watching it made me proud, and honored to be sharing that field with them. They are all special people with amazing talents. There were cadets and midshipmen in the stands while the march on occurred...I was told those were the ones that were on "detail" and not allowed to march in. Seemed like they were having quite a bit of fun heckling their classmates.

There were a lot of people with a lot of hardware on their chests roaming the sidelines. At my real job I do work on critical components for Navy applications so added a bit of honor in my head because, in some way or another in the future, I will help these men and women do their job as needed.

The sad part was that I was unable to bring my parents, wife, and two children along to be with me. I did however bring my paternal Grandfather's Bronze Star and my maternal Grandfather's Purple Heart with me. I kept those in my pocket as a symbol of my family being with me on that day.

Walking around the field before the game you could notice the SS Snipers on the roof. At one point you could see the one following us with his scope...a bit of an eerie feeling being in someone's cross hairs.

I did get to greet the President and he did say a few words to the crew, telling us we had the most difficult job on the field and good luck. No matter what you think of the man, in my opinion, you respect the Office of the President. It will probably be the only time I will be within arms length of the leader of the free worlds...so that was very exciting to experience.

One funny comment about the President...we were all given game coins to keep. Our referee had to give his to the game manager so that the President could practice flipping the coin. I had to laugh thinking of him sitting in a room in the stadium practicing flipping a coin.

Around kickoff I was more nervous for this game than when I did the Lamar Jackson/Deshaun Watson show down in 2016. It took me about 2 series to settle my nerves and I settled it. For the first time all year it felt like football with the crowd...especially on the Army goal line stand. The fog added to the memory of this event.

To cap it off, I stood and watched each team sing their alma mater. The pride by Navy and Army was just breath taking and again I felt honored just to be sharing the field with them.

There is probably much more that I am forgetting but as I told one of my friends, I likened it to my wedding day. There was so much build up and before you know it, it's over.

I'd appreciate it if no one copies or pastes this anywhere else. I don't really like to share this sort of stuff in a public forum but I thought some of you would be interested.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:56 PM   #1275
GrantDawg

Thanks, Dr. Sak. Great read.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #1276
Butter
Coordinator

Nice, thanks for sharing
Old 01-07-2021, 02:06 PM   #1277
rjolley
College Starter

Very kool, Dr Sak. Thanks for sharing.
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #1278
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Awesome. Congrats on the opportunity

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:20 PM   #1279
miami_fan
Coordinator

That is fabulous. I am happy you got to experience that game close up.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:23 PM   #1280
HerRealName
College Prospect

Congrats! You're going to inspire me to get back into reffing*!

*basketball only, never again football or baseball
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:43 PM   #1281
BYU 14
Coordinator

Great stuff and glad you got to experience this. A once in a lifetime thing!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:33 PM   #1282
tarcone
Coordinator

That is incredible. What an amazing experience.

Hard work pays off.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:43 PM   #1283
JPhillips
General Manager

Thanks for posting, Sak. I'm just up the river and I've been told by many that Army game day is a treat.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #1284
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for posting, Sak. I'm just up the river and I've been told by many that Army game day is a treat.

One of my favorite places to go. Next game I get there I will DM you. Most of the time we have extra tickets and I can leave you some at will call.

We actually stay in Newburgh...right by the airport.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 01-07-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:03 PM   #1285
JPhillips
General Manager

That would be great. I'll buy dinner if you're up for it.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:34 PM   #1286
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That would be great. I'll buy dinner if you're up for it.

No need to...just enjoy the game and the atmosphere.

One of my best memories so far is a video of I have of my kids when my son was 4 and my daughter was 2 running around on the field at Notre Dame stadium chasing the sky cam.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 01-07-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:35 PM   #1287
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Congrats! You're going to inspire me to get back into reffing*!

*basketball only, never again football or baseball

If you get into football let me know. I do a lot of training of High School and Small College Officials in the Pittsburgh area and have a library of training tapes I made for them.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:28 PM   #1288
JPhillips
General Manager

WHat's a game weekend like? Do you come in on Friday? Are there meetings before the game? Do you go home Sat or Sun?
Old 01-08-2021, 07:39 AM   #1289
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

My normal game week (assuming I have a Saturday game) is below. This year for me was different as my employer would not allow me to get on a plane so I had to drive to every game.

Monday: Our first of 2 weekly training tapes comes out. I'll watch this and it will range anywhere between 60-90 minutes long. This is also my weekly massage day. After work I have a 60 minute massage.

Tuesday: The grades for my game are usually out. I'll review them and start to prepare for the upcoming week. I'll find 1 or 2 interesting plays for our Friday pregame as well as scout one of the two teams I have this week. This is also the day I have my 5am personal training session.

Wednesday: Scout the other team by watching film of them.

Thursday: Our second training tape comes out and this one is the plays that the coaches send in. Usually around 30 minutes long. I'll finish packing my bags and make sure I have all my preparations to present my part of the pregame meeting for Friday.

Friday: In a normal year I usually take the first (or second flight out), if flying, or leave real early to drive. I like to get to the hotel before noon that way I can get a workout in and watch more film. For games that kick off at 6pm or earlier on Saturday we have to be at the hotel by 6pm on Friday. For games after 6pm on Saturday, we don't have to be at the hotel till midnight. Mike Pereira usually sends out a tape of some interesting plays Thursday night intended for the media but he'll also send it out to some officials. Our pregame usually starts at 4 or 5pm. In the beginning of the year it is around 2 hours long but as the season progresses it shortens to around an hour. After pregame we will either go out to dinner or have it brought in. I'm an early bird so I like to get to sleep around 830-9pm.

Saturday: I get up early (530-6am) and go to the gym for some light strength training, take a walk outside or on the treadmill. Go to breakfast (love Cracker Barrel since we don't have many in the North)...and depending on the game time take a nap (watch Game Day) or prepare my "meals" of either a protein shake or something light to eat before the game. The van picks us up for the stadium (we are dressed in our uniforms) 3 and a half hours before the game.

An hour before leaving, I have a routine of stretching (yoga or Pilates) that I like to go through. After arriving at the Stadium I kill time by going out on the field and visualizing plays in my head. I'll go through my steps at the pylon and think about every scenario that I can...I'll imagine what a hold is in my head or what pass interference is so that I already draw that line. 90 minutes before the game I have to be on the field to babysit and make sure no one fights or causes issue. As the teams come out I'll go and watch their drills to start getting my mind ready.

Game happens and immediately after we hop in a van and get a police escort back to the hotel. We will review the foul report and on member of the crew will input it into the system. If I can get out, I will catch a flight or drive home, but if it is a late game or I am too far away to drive I will stay Saturday night. If staying, we will usually "fellowship" as my southern friends call it. I refuse to go out anywhere within vicinity of the hotel or school, especially with social media the way it is these days. We'll get pizza and watch games in someone's room

Sunday: Travel home and spend time with the family. I have until 6pm to go into the grading system and add explanation to any of my fouls and add any "specials". Those involve tight plays where I decided to pass on a foul. It's a way to tell your grader that you saw it but maybe your angle didn't allow you to see what really happened instead of them assuming you just didn't see it at all. If I have any plays that I wrote down on my game card that I feel are ones that I either missed or one that I called and wanted to review, I'll do that on Sundays.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:56 AM   #1290
JPhillips
General Manager

That's really interesting. Thanks for taking the time. I didn't even think about transportation issues this Fall. It must have been very difficult.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:05 AM   #1291
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
No need to...just enjoy the game and the atmosphere.

One of my best memories so far is a video of I have of my kids when my son was 4 and my daughter was 2 running around on the field at Notre Dame stadium chasing the sky cam.

Man I was so annoyed that the Clemson/ND game was fan-limited this year. Like, I get it. But I was expecting to be there ever since they announced the game 5 years ago.

Still hoping to get there for the '22 game and see the stadium. That game this year would've been absolutely nuts though.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:13 AM   #1292
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Thursday: Our second training tape comes out and this one is the plays that the coaches send in. Usually around 30 minutes long.

Is this the coaches for the teams for the game you will be covering?

What do they send in? Are they preparing you for possible trick plays they might run?
Old 01-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #1293
Bobble
College Prospect

Very cool, Sak. What are you specifically looking for when you watch tape?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:55 AM   #1294
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's really interesting. Thanks for taking the time. I didn't even think about transportation issues this Fall. It must have been very difficult.

Add in the weekly testing requirements and you held your breath till the day before the game to know if you were eligible to work or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Is this the coaches for the teams for the game you will be covering?

What do they send in? Are they preparing you for possible trick plays they might run?

Coaches like to send in plays from the previous week where they feel we missed things or called them incorrectly. Also, they will send in plays for clarifications. Sometimes teams will send in plays from the team they are playing the following week to highlight items they feel the team does wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Very cool, Sak. What are you specifically looking for when you watch tape?

Alignments, tendencies, problem players...a lot of times you can get tipped off whether a play is a pass or run based on alignments of certain players. Tackles who are slow afoot tend to try to get deeper in their alignment. If I notice a team has a quick DE, that might also cause it too.

How do the DBs react during pass coverage. Are the TEs prone to create contact and push off. When blocking low...do the linemen or RBs also try to grab the ankles or legs of whom they are blocking.

Those are just a few things.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #1295
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Just wanted to think you for a couple of wonderful posts that show the inside of a world we don't know much about!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #1296
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I also have to say my wife is a saint. I started working at this level the same year we had our first child. Having someone who supports what I do and understands the level of commitment it takes is necessary to be successful.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #1297
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Let me join the chorus thanking Sak for giving us some great behind the scenes nuggets.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:10 AM   #1298
Edward64
Head Coach

Don't care much for either team tonight.

If it was some team other than OSU and Clemson, I would root for them over AL. Even though AL is SEC, ready for SEC to be more competitive at the top.

Hoping for a great game.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #1299
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Don't care much for either team tonight.

If it was some team other than OSU and Clemson, I would root for them over AL. Even though AL is SEC, ready for SEC to be more competitive at the top.

Hoping for a great game.
First time I am fully rooting against the SEC team. Enough Bama already. Even worse, I am hoping Fields proves how much of an idiot Kirby was by not playing him. I am still pissed off about that.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-11-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:46 AM   #1300
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
First time I am fully rooting against the SEC team. Enough Bama already. Even worse, I am hoping Fields proves how much of an idiot Kirby was by not playing him. I am still pissed off about that.

Fields arrived in Athens unable to grasp the offense and with more than a little self-entitlement. Assuming that the one Ohio State has is the same one Georgia would have had is an enormous leap.