Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #1
AnalBumCover
College Starter

What Are You Reading? 2020 Edition

It seems the reading threads are a biennial occurrence here. So I thought why the heck not create one for 2020.

Full disclosure: I am not a reader. I've hated reading since I was a kid. Unless the context is compelling, I cannot maintain attention for a half a page before my thoughts start to drift off. It would take me months, even years, to finish a book... if I ever DO finish a book.

But my daughter loves to read. So this year, I made it a point to sit with her during her 30-minute daily reading with books of my own. I gave myself a GoodReads challenge of a modest, and very doable, 10 books. So going into March, I'm right on pace with two books completed.

Dooku: Jedi Lost by Cavan Scott - More of an audio drama, than an audio book. But I'm counting it. This is the backstory of Count Dooku we never asked for, but are glad we got.

Homeland (The Dark Elf Trilogy #1) by R.A. Salvatore - I found the three book series in excellent condition at a used book store, so I decided to buy them. Way behind the times, but I'm glad I finally got into this series.

Currently reading:
A Clash of Kings (ASOIAF#2) - George R.R. Martin (about 3/4 through)
The Drawing of the Three (Dark Tower #2) - Stephen King (about 1/3 through)

Want to read:
The other two Dark Elf books
The Greatest Game Ever Played - Mark Frost
The Pillars of the Earth (Kingsbridge #1) - Ken Follett
House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski (I started this a long time ago, and been meaning to pick it back up)

AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
spleen1015
Coordinator

I tend to read in spurts, read for a couple months, take 6 or 7 off.

I picked up the Stormlight Archive again at the beginning of the year. Had them all on the nook, but I decided to read physical copies this time.

I am currently about 1/3 of the way through the 3rd book. This was my third time reading the first book, second time reading the second and third books.

The second book, Words of Radiance, is the best book I think I have ever read. It is one of those books that I never wanted to put down. Everything about this book is great.

There is a certain part of the third book that I didn't really like. I am interested to see if I feel the same way this time.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #3
Groundhog
Coordinator

Currently reading The Mongol Empire: Genghis Khan, his heirs and the founding of modern China by John Man. Fairly light history and the Genghis Khan stuff is a bit familiar having read a few books on him already, but I'm not as familiar with Kublai Khan outside of the attempted invasion of Japan, so it has become a lot more interesting since about the halfway mark.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I recently read two great shipwreck books

Into The Raging Sea- The story of a cargo ship el Farro. Really crazy tale about a ship that sunk in 2015 after the captain made every bad decision you could.

In the heart of the sea- The story of the Whaleship essex that Moby Dick is based off of.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I tend to read in spurts, read for a couple months, take 6 or 7 off.

I picked up the Stormlight Archive again at the beginning of the year. Had them all on the nook, but I decided to read physical copies this time.

I am currently about 1/3 of the way through the 3rd book. This was my third time reading the first book, second time reading the second and third books.

The second book, Words of Radiance, is the best book I think I have ever read. It is one of those books that I never wanted to put down. Everything about this book is great.

There is a certain part of the third book that I didn't really like. I am interested to see if I feel the same way this time.

I've had the third book since it came out, also got a third of the way through. Really need to get back to it again. I've also read the first two books multiple times. 3rd just hasn't grabbed me as much. I think more Shallan and less Kaladin has been my issue.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:23 PM   #6
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
I've had the third book since it came out, also got a third of the way through. Really need to get back to it again. I've also read the first two books multiple times. 3rd just hasn't grabbed me as much. I think more Shallan and less Kaladin has been my issue.

Kaladin's story in the book is the problem I had with it. I'm having the same feeling so far, but there is one specific aspect that I really didn't like before and I haven't gotten to it yet.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

I find Shallan more and more annoying as the books go on. It seems like it would be exhausting to be around her for any length of time. And Kaladin has had a few long stretches of time where he had nothing to do and it was a grind to get through.

This year, I read Before They Are Hanged, book 2 of the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, and went right into book 3, Last Argument of Kings, which I'm ~ 40% of the way through..

Last edited by sabotai : 03-05-2020 at 08:28 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:30 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

I finished reading Book 3, The Last Argument of Kings. I'd give all three books in the First Law Trilogy a 3.5 out of 5. Solid, good fantasy books, IMO, filled with grey characters. In the same sub-category of fantasy as ASoIaF, though I didn't enjoy it as much.

In ASoIaF, characters truly get punished for their bad decisions. In the First Law trilogy, characters seemed to get bailed out a lot. He also over does the foreshadowing, to the point that how the storylines for a few of the characters ended I saw coming a mile away.

On the plus side, most of the characters are very interesting. Sand dan Glokta was a fantastically written character, as was Ferro. The rest were good as well, but those two stood out to me.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #9
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Debating on whether I should start up Stephen King's The Stand in light of current world events.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:59 AM   #10
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I finished reading Book 3, The Last Argument of Kings. I'd give all three books in the First Law Trilogy a 3.5 out of 5. Solid, good fantasy books, IMO, filled with grey characters. In the same sub-category of fantasy as ASoIaF, though I didn't enjoy it as much.

In ASoIaF, characters truly get punished for their bad decisions. In the First Law trilogy, characters seemed to get bailed out a lot. He also over does the foreshadowing, to the point that how the storylines for a few of the characters ended I saw coming a mile away.

On the plus side, most of the characters are very interesting. Sand dan Glokta was a fantastically written character, as was Ferro. The rest were good as well, but those two stood out to me.

I read this trilogy a while back and I didn't quite understand why I didn't love the hell out of it. It's...totally fine. But that's about it. It checks a ton of the boxes that I love about the genre, like you mentioned - lots of grey characters, not a ton of fairy-tale happy ending stuff - but for whatever reason it never clicked with me despite those things. 3.5/5 is a perfect grade for it.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #11
sabotai
General Manager

Brandon Sanderson - YouTube

Brandon Sanderson uploaded the Prologue and chapters 1-16 of the audiobook for Rythm of War to his YouTube channel. He's also been posting the chapters to tor.com
Old 11-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #12
spleen1015
Coordinator

Rhythm of War next week. I am really looking forward to it. Read a review that makes me really excited to get this book.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:56 PM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

I've been rereading Chris Crutcher novels because a lot of them are in my classroom from the previous teacher. Really entertaining YA author.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:12 AM   #14
cuervo72
Head Coach

Huh. Change a few words there and you could wind up with a review of The Luminaries.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:22 AM   #15
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I recently read two great shipwreck books

Into The Raging Sea- The story of a cargo ship el Farro. Really crazy tale about a ship that sunk in 2015 after the captain made every bad decision you could.

In the heart of the sea- The story of the Whaleship essex that Moby Dick is based off of.

Lathum,

You and I must have been on a book binge on shipwrecks...the El Farro fascinated me when it occured.

William Langewische wrote in Vanity Fair this article:

“The Clock Is Ticking”: Inside the Worst U.S. Maritime Disaster in Decades | Vanity Fair

He has written on other incidents, notably the Air France Crash and the Brazilian Air Collision...

The most frightening thing on El Farro was that they all knew they were going to die but couldn't face their captain who simply refuted facts for his own personal gain (seems to mirror politics), and it was all being recorded on a black box.

I just finished "The Blessing Way" by Tony Hillerman...it was a brisk read, about 3 hours in one sitting. It was a pretty interesting lead novel on a mystery, I have Dance Hall of the Dead lined up.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #16
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I am in the process of reading The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin. I am really enjoying it too. How people that can control stone are treated in a world with a bunch of natural disasters. Definitely worth a read.

Next is Book 2 of Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastard series.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:56 AM   #17
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
I am in the process of reading The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin. I am really enjoying it too. How people that can control stone are treated in a world with a bunch of natural disasters. Definitely worth a read.

Next is Book 2 of Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastard series.

I read The Fifth Season, because of the buzz around it and the author, but it just didn't grab me. I see she has a new series set in New York City that has intrigued me, but haven't checked it out yet.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:26 PM   #18
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I am finally going to attempt to read the DiscWorld series.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:31 PM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Lathum,

You and I must have been on a book binge on shipwrecks...the El Farro fascinated me when it occured.

William Langewische wrote in Vanity Fair this article:

“The Clock Is Ticking”: Inside the Worst U.S. Maritime Disaster in Decades | Vanity Fair

He has written on other incidents, notably the Air France Crash and the Brazilian Air Collision...

The most frightening thing on El Farro was that they all knew they were going to die but couldn't face their captain who simply refuted facts for his own personal gain (seems to mirror politics), and it was all being recorded on a black box.

I just finished "The Blessing Way" by Tony Hillerman...it was a brisk read, about 3 hours in one sitting. It was a pretty interesting lead novel on a mystery, I have Dance Hall of the Dead lined up.

The book was an amazing read. It really does show the stubbornness of people in the face of being proven wrong or potentially making a mistake.

thanks for the link, I'll check out the article.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #20
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I read The Fifth Season, because of the buzz around it and the author, but it just didn't grab me. I see she has a new series set in New York City that has intrigued me, but haven't checked it out yet.

The one with five people being the soul of the various boroughs? Yea, that sounded pretty good too!