Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-22-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Tivo Complaint/Rant

Some months ago I decided to pick up a tivo after hearing all the raving, while I won't say it's 'revolutionized how I watch tv' cause I don't really watch that much tv to begin with, it's been a nice lil item. I picked up the 40 hour with the DVD burner on it for $300 at the time, no big deal. Til recently ...

The credit card I had on file for the 12.95 monthly fee expired and I thought no big deal, I'll get it reactivated and situated tomorrow... til I realized exactly how useless this thing is without the paid subscription - not because it's crap without their subscription but because they restrict the entire box from recording anything even if you try to manually record something without a subscription.

Oh, and not to mention the nifty little info box that displays your channel information turns into an annoyance that tells you your box is deactivated EVERYTIME YOU CHANGE THE CHANNEL.

All that had me wondering whether I really wanted to keep this thing but against my better judgement I figured I'd go ahead and reactivate it... Then I saw this little gem....

Quote:
WITH RESPECT TO ANY NEW TIVO SERVICE SUBSCRIPTION ACTIVATED ON OR AFTER SEPTEMBER 6, 2005, YOU AGREE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TIVO SERVICE FOR NO LESS THAN 12 MONTHS (THE "SERVICE COMMITMENT"). IF YOU FAIL TO MEET THE SERVICE COMMITMENT BY CANCELLING YOUR SUBSCRIPTION TO THE TIVO SERVICE (OR IF TIVO TERMINATES YOUR SUBSCRIPTION TO THE TIVO SERVICE DUE TO A BREACH OF THIS AGREEMENT), YOU AGREE THAT TIVO MAY CHARGE YOU A $150 EARLY TERMINATION FEE, AND YOU AGREE TO PAY ANY SUCH EARLY TERMINATION FEE.

Now, I've also heard if you buy the lifetime subscription (at the lovely price of an addition $299 ) and your box decides to die on you and they have to replace it - your 'lifetime' subscription is null and void on the new box.

Maybe I'm sounding cheap at this point - but I figure if I pay 300 dollars for a DVR, I'll at the very least be able to record with it manually without me absolutely having to pay a 13 bucks a month for it to be any use other then pause and rewind.

And if I reactivate it (since I was pre september 6th 2005) I guess if it ever goes inactivate again, they're going to rob me of another 150 bucks?

I'm starting to wonder why I didn't just pick up one of those DVRs with the free 14 day guide and manual recording...

/end rant

Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

What Cable/Dish service do you use?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
What Cable/Dish service do you use?

Have Cox Cable.. They have the DVRs you can get but I usually end up spending quite a few months traveling (and usually in a different cable area) so I wanted something I would be able to switch locations with.

Mainly I'm just surprised at how much of a blatant rip-off they look like when you have alternatives.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
st.cronin
General Manager

When tivo was first created, I thought it sounded fantastic, but every time I talk to a salesman or read about it, it sounds like such a fishy, un-consumer friendly business model, I end up not buying it.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
Have Cox Cable.. They have the DVRs you can get but I usually end up spending quite a few months traveling (and usually in a different cable area) so I wanted something I would be able to switch locations with.

Mainly I'm just surprised at how much of a blatant rip-off they look like when you have alternatives.

When you use the cable company DVR,typically it's just a monthly fee with no up-front payments (and for Timewarner, at least, it's less than the TV monthly fee).

The downside is that you have to have the digital cable, and not just basic or standard.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:26 AM   #6
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I ran into that to. But I got a $150 mail in rebate with a minimum 1-year subscription. I figured that's how they got that money back if you cancel early, so I was cool with it. Pretty crappy if you're not eligible for the rebate though.

Quote:
When tivo was first created, I thought it sounded fantastic, but every time I talk to a salesman or read about it, it sounds like such a fishy, un-consumer friendly business model, I end up not buying it.
They get worse the more they cozy up to advertisers and the networks, but they are still head and shoulders above the competition. It's not to difficult to make one of these boxes, a lot of people make their own. Sooner or later a worthwhile competitior will come.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #7
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I think you can get around the early termination fee by just sending back the equpiment. I know this is true with Directv. What use is the DVR/Tivo if you don't have the service anyways? I am not sure about the $300 model though, mine was free.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
MJ4H
Coordinator

heh, I'll pass.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:50 AM   #9
Subby
lolzcat

How does a DVR work without a guide or subscription? Do you just wait until the show starts to record it? That would be teh suk.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:55 AM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder why I didn't just pick up one of those DVRs with the free 14 day guide and manual recording...

Me, too. Sounds like a better fit for your needs.

There are plenty of TiVo customers/subscribers who are quite happy with the product and service. Sounds like that's more than you need, for whatever reason. I don't think, however, that any of these "revelations" about their contract commitment or the like are exactly hidden -- they are pretty forward about what you're buying. Service companies are interested in getting you to pay for their service -- that's kinda what they do.

Best of luck with it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:57 AM   #11
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
How does a DVR work without a guide or subscription? Do you just wait until the show starts to record it? That would be teh suk.

I'd assume it works like a VCR. Program it and it'll record whatever you program, you just don't have a guide and pick the show to record but go by the hour the show's on...

FM
Old 01-23-2006, 10:39 AM   #12
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand

There are plenty of TiVo customers/subscribers who are quite happy with the product and service. Sounds like that's more than you need, for whatever reason. I don't think, however, that any of these "revelations" about their contract commitment or the like are exactly hidden -- they are pretty forward about what you're buying. Service companies are interested in getting you to pay for their service -- that's kinda what they do.

Best of luck with it.

Yup. This doesn't sound like a problem with TiVO to me so much as you buying something without being informed that it totally didn't fit your needs. TiVO is still the most well-made DVR out there by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:07 AM   #13
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

besides, there are alternatives to the Tivo provided guides.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #14
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand

Best of luck with it.

I like the service, I thought it was useful - especially some of the automatic 'tivo' recording, I just thought it was kind of shabby that the thing is useless without a subscription, but I figured okay, that's fine - whatever. I can chalk that up as not really giving it much thought concerning not being able to even manually record (still surprised though)

Til I seen the early termination fee, and I guess more so that is where I'm uninformed and a little confused. My box itsself was purchased and 'activated' before september 6th, I didn't purchase it via informicial or via a secondary company, I bought mine off the shelf at best-buy.

Anyway, so the confusion comes in at - if I reactivate my subscription now, am I obligated to subscribe for a minimum of 1 year, or am I exempt from that claus since mine was originally activated around July?

I don't have an issue with paying for the subscription, I just don't like purchasing a product then * months afterwards* having to sign a contract that wasn't apart of the deal for it to be useful again.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:34 PM   #15
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I pay $10 dollars a month for my DVR from Comcast (which is also my HD box so I'd have to pay for it anyways) and I have never seen anything Tivo offers that justifies the extra upfront cost on top of a more expensive subscription fee. It seems silly to me.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:05 PM   #16
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
I don't have an issue with paying for the subscription, I just don't like purchasing a product then * months afterwards* having to sign a contract that wasn't apart of the deal for it to be useful again.
From what you've said it sounds like you let your subscription lapse by defaulting on payment (leaving an expired credit card on file). I bet if you had contacted them before your credit card expired you would have kept the original subscription and not required a new one with a contract. It sucks, but it doesn't sound to me like its really TiVo's fault in any way...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:13 PM   #17
primelord
Pro Rookie

I heart Tivo
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote