Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Walk On: Ardent leads the Vols

OK, guys, here is what I'll be doing:

Historical backdrop:

For years the Tennessee Volunteers have been very successful. In fact, over the past four years, they've gone undefeated in the regular season, but have never won a national championship.

This success has naturally led to great recruiting, year in and out. Top 100 and Top 10 players throughout the nation want to play for Tennessee Head Coach Phil Fulmer. It's not uncommon for the Vols to have 4 or 5 players of the top 10 in their recruiting class.

Unfortunately, the 2006 offseason leaves the Vols in a very awkward condition.

Tennessee normally carries four scholarship quarterbacks in a season, generally recruiting one of the best in the nation each year. During the 2006 season, however, a quarterback wasn't recruited as all four quarterbacks on the team were due to return.

It's sad it didn't work out that way.

Quarterback Colin Coleman decided to take his chance on the NFL draft, and we can only wish him well. Coach Fulmer may wish something else for him, however.

Frank Beyer decided during the off season it might be a good idea to steal from the book store. Unfortunately, it will cost him a year, as the Syndicate has suspended him for his action.

Malcolm Rivers decided to transfer, since he was going to be the third string quarterback this year; his decision was made, unfortunately, before Coleman or Beyer made their own decisions.

Fourth stringer, redshirt freshman, Chris Brewer was ready to step into the action and claim the starting role, but tore his ACL in spring camp. Coach Fulmer may have been a little rough on the young man.

That leaves us with young Ardent.

Ardent came to UT without hope of playing. He never once thought he'd take a snap at Neyland Stadium...the most he hoped for was to run through the "T" at the beginning of a game.

Ardent, a fifth string walk on senior from Bonne Terre, MO, has emerged as the starting quarterback for the Tennessee Volunteers this season.

This is his story.

Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
Poli
FOFC Survivor

For the technical issues:

This is inspired by a youth football book I believe by Thomas J. Dygard, called "Fourth String", I think. The story is about a kid named Denny Westbrook, who's called into action quickly after injuries and a suspension have been issued. It's a one game thing for Denny, and the book tells about the week up to the game as well as the game itself. I'll be doing this for the whole season.

I'll be using TCY for this dynasty, and have simmed to the 2007 season. During this time, I recruited heavily it talent everywhere except QB. This allowed me to set up the QB who fictionally went into the draft early, as well as the suspension, transfer, and injury of the other three.

Walk ons are all that remain at that position now.

For simplicity sake, I won't be posting his numbers or any numbers, really. Maybe key game type numbers. I'll post the starters, and maybe the top backup at each position as well.

The season has not been simmed yet, and I don't have any intention of setting up a season where Ardent leads the Vols to a National Championship. If Ardent falls on his face, then so be it.

As for Ardent, he's definitely a walk on. I'm not renaming a player I recruited...I'm taking the spot of a walk on QB on the team.

Here's to handing off, I hope a lot.

Last edited by Poli : 01-06-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:49 PM   #3
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

OMG NO WAY!? I read that same book. One of the better books I read when I was younger. I can't remember what the title was, but I think it was something like "Walk-on Quarterback" but damn. Weird....i'll be reading.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 05:36 PM   #4
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I hope this goes as well as your DIII Hattrick season.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:25 PM   #5
nol
Banned

Yes i read that book too... it was Walk-On Quarterback. But good luck with the dynasty before it turns into a book club
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 06:33 PM   #6
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I loved that book.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:45 PM   #7
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I loved the book as well. Denny Westbrook is my hero. Mind you, I read this book over 10 years ago.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:48 PM   #8
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I read it I think 3 or 4 years ago. I remember when kerillini and I went to a Bucks game, and it was night and my mom was driving us home we wanted the lights to be on so we could read the rest of it.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:51 PM   #9
Poli
FOFC Survivor

"Ardent Fever"

I plan on buying the book sometime, somewhere in the future.

I already own the first football coaching manual I ever picked up.

"Coaching the Blockbuster Defense" by Paul S. Hatem, published I believe in 1968.

They don't make 'em like they used to.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:31 PM   #10
Desnudo
Coordinator

How many other walk-ons tore their ACLs before Ardent finally got the call?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:11 PM   #11
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally posted by Desnudo
How many other walk-ons tore their ACLs before Ardent finally got the call?

Ardent did have to fend off a number of incoming walk on freshmen that dreamed the dream.

He won the job quite handily from those kids.

Makes you wonder what the backup situation is like at UT.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:22 PM   #12
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Summer, 2007

It's amazing how things can change in just a year, Last year at this time I was a redshirt junior; a walk on who's claim to fame was that he was captain of the offensive scrub team. I wasn't on anyone's depth chart. No reporters or fans asked about me. In fact, you would have had to be a die hard Vols fan to even know I existed. I wasn't even listed under the alpha or numerical rosters.

In case you're wondering, I wore #15.

Actually, I was the "fourth string" quarterback, but depth charts never go that deep. Fourth string players hate the old saying, "Three deep depth chart". Not that UT even used three quarterbacks on the season. That's why Malcolm Rivers transferred.

I did some checking on teams throughout the country. Only five teams in Division I football used four quarterbacks. UT hadn't used four in a season since Casey Clausen was a freshman.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not in this for the glory. I don't fancy myself as a bonafide college quarterback. I never thought I'd lead UT onto the field at Neyland. I didn't come to UT for that. I came for the experience and to watch and learn from what I believe is the best college coaching staff around.

I've only got an average arm for a high school quarterback, and I fielded exactly 0 offers from schools of any sort. I'm not even all that fast. I'm just honestly not that great of a football player. I'm ok with that; I'm here because I eventually want to coach.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:34 PM   #13
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It's unbelievable how things change.

Even during spring football, Coach Fulmer was busy trying to come up with something. It was obvious he had faith in Chris Brewer, but that was about all.

I was leading the second team offense, and that had never happened before in my life. I actually had the worst weeks of my life this spring, mainly because I was trying to get used to the speed of the second team offense. I was used to the speed of non scholarship scrubs, and I got comfortable with that speed.

Coach Fulmer was upset and really got onto me to pick it up. He even tried using sophomore Keith Grier at quarterback. Keith came from an option high school, and Coach Fulmer turned him into a receiver. Keith played in every game of the 2006 season, but failed to make a reception. Keith looked just a tad worse than me at QB, and was promptly returned to wide receiver.

Things got even worse when Brewer went down.

By that time I had adjusted accordingly to the speed of our team. Fumbling was not an issue; but passing still was. Let's just say I won't make fun of Steve Grogan and his Tecmo Super Bowl passing anymore. My passing isn't much prettier.

Coach Fulmer was so upset he cancelled the Orange and White spring game.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:53 PM   #14
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I continued to work through the spring and into the summer on my passing. Coach had me go to any camp that would take me to help me out. I began throwing often with Terry Castleberry, Steven Everett, and Dennis Harrison our incoming starting receivers. The trio had combined for 65 catches in 2006.

Word began spreading as soon as Brewer was injured that it appeared I would be the quarterback for the Vols in 2007. Media coverage was constant, and now I'm the talk of east Tennessee. I can't go to many places around here without someone wanting to pat me on the back or shake my hand. For the first time, I've even signed autographs.

Summer camp was definitely interesting. It was obvious I had improved quite a bit over the summer, but I still wouldn't be considered a prospect by any D-I school. Ten freshmen tried out to be quarterbacks for the Vols this summer. We even had a guy come out who had played some college football a few years ago, and he was good. Unfortunately, UT found out all his eligibility had been used, and he had to go. Coach Fulmer eventually kept four of the walk ons, and even turned two others into receivers.

Coach Fulmer began stressing the running game early. Fortunately for all of us, J.B. Brewster decided to return to UT rather than turn pro. Brewster, in case you've fallen off the face of the earth, has won the Heisman trophy the past two years and ran for 2,200 yards and 25 TDs. Some feel that given our talent, we should turn to a more run oriented offense, such as the Power I. Coach Fulmer, however, will live and die with the I formation and that has always been his bread and butter.

The Sporting News, in their annual football preview, said that UT will only go as far as the legs of Brewster will carry them. Athlon didn't even rank us in the Top 25. Instead, we were rated #47. Coach Fulmer often let us know that the outside world didn't think the 2007 UT Vols team stood much of a chance.

So, here I am. Just a week away from my first college football game, and I'm a redshirt walk on senior. I'm nervous as can be.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:12 PM   #15
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The 2007 season schedule for the UT Vols:

Code:
Week Opponent 1 CALIFORNIA 2 at (22) Syracuse 4 NORTHWESTERN $$6 at Mississippi State $$7 at Kentucky $$8 (13) FLORIDA $$9 MISSISSIPPI $$10 VANDERBILT $$11 at (10) Alabama $$12 at (9) Georgia $$13 (35) SOUTH CAROLINA Home Games in ALL CAPS $$-Conference Games
Old 01-06-2004, 11:13 PM   #16
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Great idea for a dynasty Ardent! As a Vols fan I can only imagine the trouble this would cause if even half this stuff happened in real life!
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:22 PM   #17
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I often smirk about it, too.

It's a dream come true for one young man, his friends, his family, and SEC opponents.

It's a nightmare for anyone else associated with UT football.

I've actually been mistaken for being on the sideline in 1994. Most of my old high school friends thought I went to UT. I had intended to; I even received a letter from Fulmer saying I could be an equipment manager (through Mike Rollo's approval, I believe) if I attended. However, my financial backing fell through, and I didn't go.

One guy was convinced that he saw me in uniform on the sideline during a game and news spread among my old friends and teammates I was on the UT football team.

Imagine my surprise when I went home for Christmas that year.

Last edited by Poli : 01-06-2004 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:44 PM   #18
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Wheeeeeee!

Step 1: Talk Coach into letting you run the Run and Shoot! Run the ball? HELL NO! Throw it, scrub!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:47 PM   #19
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Power-I baby. Just complete the occasional forward pass and let your backfield ride you to victory!
Old 01-07-2004, 12:35 AM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Aw, screw this. I was expecting a hattie dynasty. Damn you, ardent

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:54 AM   #21
Poli
FOFC Survivor

With a week left to go before we play Cal at home, Coach Fulmer has decided to change his primary formation to the Power I. The only problem is, our team is really unfamiliar with it.

Sadly, we do look better with me running the Power I than we did when I was trying to lead the I. Our passing attack was weak at best, and we don't have a stellar receiver right now. Grier could be something special if given the time to learn the position, but that may or may not happen this year. Besides, Brewster is our leading receiver for the past two years as well.

I can only imagine what the sports writers will have to say when they see us line up against Cal. Some schools have some Power I. But I doubt they run as often as we will.

The starting defense has given our new offense a nickname. NTO, or No Talent Offense.

Well, we do have talent in Brewster, and we'll run him to death.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:25 AM   #22
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

This could turn into a very interesting story... I like the way you're writing it so far, AE. Keep 'em coming...
Old 01-07-2004, 11:05 AM   #23
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We're actually favored to win by 6 points over Cal.

Cal hasn't performed all that well in recent years, posting 4 wins in three of the last four seasons.

It's still unclear how we'll do this season. The scrub defense can't stop us during practice. Then again, over the past three years, first team defenses haven't really been able to stop J.B. Brewster. What worries me is that Brewster hasn't been the only option before. We did have a passing game before.

It seems pretty clear to me that Brewster and the defense will be carrying us through the season. I've heard a thousand times that defense wins championships; well, we'll see.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:21 AM   #24
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Starting lineup for UT against Cal:

QB: #15 Ardent Enthusiast RS SR (0 career starts)
RB: #48 J. B. Brewster SR (39 career starts)
FB: #43 Roman Prescott RS SR (2 career starts)
FB: #32 Willie Jordan SR (0)
TE: #95 Dominic Witt SR (7)
WR: #82 Steven Everett JR (6)
LT: #77 Sammie Lochner SR (26)
LG: #71 Mack Raymond SR (39)
C: #58 Kevin Peters RS JR (26)
RG: #68 Ken Washington RS SO (0)
RT: #62 Bubba Spangler SR (39)

J.B. has over 6,000 career rushing yards and over 1,700 career receiving yards. Neither fullback has ever had a carry, although Prescott did catch 13 passes last season.

RG Ken Washington beat out incumbent Desmond Stephenson for the job.

Overall, we're weak in experience at the skill positions, but solid along the line. I hope this translates into success. J.B. will be running behind a very good and experienced offensive line, while the rest of the "skill" position players try not to get in the way.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:27 PM   #25
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Game time temperature in Knoxville: 93 degrees Fahrenheit. (I hope I spelled that right )

This game will be televised on "TV3".
Old 01-07-2004, 01:29 PM   #26
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Class is calling...I have to go...be back with the game in about 5 hours or so.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:53 PM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Been reading! I'm interested to see how you do in your first start.

Go VOLS!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:02 PM   #28
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It's good to see that the pollsters and such haven't decided to fault my team for their quarterback. We're ranked #5 in the nation at the moment. Cal isn't given the same love; they're ranked #72 overal.

Of course, they don't have Brewster, either.

Team captains J.B. Brewster, safety Melvin Briggs, and kicker Ray Alston return from the coin toss; we won and we'll receive. Apparently, they don't want the defense to win our championship. You'd think we'd start out by kicking off.

I secretly have hoped I would never have to enter the field today. That the defense and special teams would be out there all day. Converting every opportunity into scores and thereby saving me from entering the field.

When Aaron Moser is tackled at the UT32, I realize that dream is over. Coach and the offensive starters gather around. Coach yells in my ear the play. I turn and look back. Coach Fulmer's reaction is plain.

I turn to the huddle of players around me.

"Power I right, split left, option left, on one"

The team heads out onto the field. I walk a few steps, then realize I'm falling behind and then jog out into position. I can't believe I'm really doing this.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:35 PM   #29
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Trip! Trip! Trip!
Old 01-07-2004, 07:41 PM   #30
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The first call was simple enough, but Coach Fulmer did a play change from what we discussed earlier. The first play was supposed to be "Power I right, split left, 21", with Brewster running up the middle.

Why he changed the play to an option, I don't know.

Once I got to the line, I found out.

Turns out Cal had figured we'd be running the ball a lot and showed us an eight man front.

I take the snap and run left. The line has blocked down, but there are still two players left on Cal's team left unblocked. I pitch off to Brewster, who strings the ball down the sideline and picks up 2 yards in the process.

I can't even hear myself think. The noise of the stadium is deafening. Rocky Top is thundering down on me from the band. All 104,100 fans must be screaming at the top of their lungs right now.

Everett runs out and Castleberry comes in with the new play. "Power I left, split right, 23, on 3, on 3, everyone, we're going to try and get them to jump early, ok? Break!"

We get to the line, and the defense hasn't changed, but the safety appears to be coming up to the line.

"Set, Hut!..."

I don't even get to the second hut before a defensive tackle grabs me and nearly throws me to the ground. Fortunately, he doesn't, and we're given a free five yards.

J.B. reminds me that won't work all game.

2nd and 3 now, and the call is for a play action pass. Everett will be the only option, and he's running deep.

I take the snap, and fake right and roll left, but Everett is double covered. What's worse is I didn't fool the OLB for long. I head up field and take what I can get...which turns out to be only a yard.

Prescott comes over to help me with my jersey; the left side is pulled down past my shoulder pad.

"Huddle's this way" he jokes and pats me on the back. I look to the sideline and get the next play. I head to the huddle and break the team quickly.

Brewster takes my handoff through the hole created by the center Peters and gets 11 yards before being hauled down. Our "first" first down of the game, and it keeps the offense on the field.

1st-10 at the Cal 49, and we give the ball to Brewster twice more up the middle and off right guard. He gains 6 on the first play, and 11 on the second for our "second" first down. This takes us to the Cal 32 yard line.

Coach Fulmer now calls for a screen pass, which works as I dump the ball off to the FB Prescott for an 18 yard gain. We go right back to the pass with a play action aimed for Prescott again. Prescott doesn't drop the ball and rumbles ahead for 7 yards after the catch to the 3 yard line before being spilled.

First and goal at the 3 and Brewster gets the ball and goes off right tackle for 2. 1 yard and I can nearly reach the orange and white checkerboard endzone from here.

Washington, the new guy on the O line, attacks his man a little early and we're sent back to the 6.

Coach Fulmer sends Everett in with the play and Everett is smiling.

"Power I right, split right, reverse option on 2"

The play works perfectly, and Everett takes the pitch intended for Brewster along the left sideline and into the endzone.

The poor corner to that side was spilled by our left tackle, Sammie Lochner.

6-0 UT, and I'm so happy I can hardly breathe. The offense heads to the sideline and I receive perhaps a thousand atta boys as the kicking team puts the extra point on the board with 10:01 left on the clock.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:19 PM   #31
tucker342
Pro Starter

Great idea for a dynasty!

I'll be reading
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 10:19 PM   #32
Craptacular
College Starter

Cool idea ardent ... this should be interesting. Break a leg!

Wait, no, don't do that.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:11 PM   #33
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Winston leads the kickoff team onto the field and boots the ball through the endzone for a touchback.

I'm ushered to a phone that's linked to our coaches in the press box who tell me I'm facing a lot of different 8 man fronts and what appears to be quite a bit of zone coverage.

There's not much time for than that as Cal 48 seconds off the clock in going three and out. Cal netted 1 yard in their first drive.

Our returner, cornerback Bart Serra makes a fair catch at the UT40, and I'm going back onto the field with 9:13 left in the first quarter.

On first down, we run our first counter play with Brewster, and we picked up 5 yards on the right side.

The next play is an option to the right side and I quickly get rid of the ball as the DE comes crashing down on me. It left Brewster room to run though and he gained 11 on the play.

1st and 10 on the Cal 44 and we run a play action pass. Most of our routes are fairly short, because I'm more accurate with short stuff than anything else. Everett catches the ball at the 40 and turns upfield for 6 more before getting tackled at the 34.

We try and trap the DT this time on the right side and it didn't work. Brewster has to dust himself off after getting leveled for a 2 yard loss. The long yardage situation leads us to another play action pass. I fake the ball to Prescott and quickly lob it over to Brewster who's in the right flat at the 33. J. B. takes it to the 24 before getting tackled.

Another 1st down, and the call from Coach Fulmer is pretty surprising: Bootleg to the left side. RG Washington pulled in front of me and made an excellent block and I'm finally tackled 10 yards down the field. To think people thought Casey Clausen and Peyton Manning were slow.

We're in the Orange Zone again, and Coach Fulmer shows he's willing to be a little daring again. He calls for the team to shift out of the Power I and into a no back look, to isolate J.B. on someone slow on the inside.

It works like a charm. Cal freaked out when we shifted and I went into the shotgun. Players pointing here and there and I bet half the defense was flat footed when I took the snap and lobbed it to the endzone. J.B. ran underneath it and caught my first career touchdown pass.

This time, I go to the endzone to celebrate with my teammates. I could never have envisioned my season starting like this. Wow.

Alston adds the extra point and Rocky Top never sounded any sweeter.

14-0 Vols, with 5:28 left in the 1st QTR
Old 01-08-2004, 01:37 AM   #34
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wish that I was on ole rocky top,
Down in the tennessee hills.
Ain’t no smoggy smoke on rocky top,
Ain’t no telephone bills.

Once there was a girl on rocky top,
Half bear the other half cat.
Wild as a mink, sweet as soda pop,
I still dream about that.

Rocky top, you’ll always be
Home sweet home to me.
Good ole rocky top,
Rocky top tennessee, rocky top tennessee.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VOLS!!!
Old 01-08-2004, 04:20 AM   #35
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Excellent reading, keep 'em coming...
Old 01-08-2004, 07:54 AM   #36
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm given a little more time on the sideline this time as Cal puts together a small drive. Cal can't keep the ball moving, and are forced to punt. Serra is stopped on the return at the UT33 and the Vol offense is back on the field with 2:08 left in the 1st QTR.

We go with a double tight end look this time, and it forces the Cal 8 man front to even up. So far this game, Cal had been shifting to the tight end side, so maybe this will help things out.

Brewster explodes off the left side for 8 yards on the first play. As Brewster gets up, he signals he's got something wrong with his helmet. He runs off the field and redshirt freshman Brandon Mason runs onto the field for the first action of his UT career.

We get Mason involved early tossing him the ball to the outside to see if he can turn the corner. It doesn't work and Mason gets just 1 yard on the play.

We're in a 3rd and 1 situation now and Brewster comes back in. This is a great time for a dive to our best back, and that's exactly what we do. Brewster gets us our yard, thanks again to a great block by our center Peters.

1st down, and we send Brewster off right guard for 12, which takes us to the Cal 45. Brewster then goes off right tackle for 2. 2nd down is a screen pass to the fullback Prescott, good for 5 to the Cal 38. This kills the rest of the first quarter.

With the 1st quarter over, it's UT 21, Cal 0
Old 01-08-2004, 08:03 AM   #37
Poli
FOFC Survivor

3rd and 3 from the Cal 38, and Coach Fulmer calls a playaction pass.

"Power I right, fake 21, TE pop, on 1, ready, break!"

I take the snap and give a great ball fake to Brewster. Everyone, including the TV3 camera crew, think Brewster has the ball.

I spin around quickly and hit TE Dominic Witt at the 33 with my best shot at a fastball as he's running downfield. A Cal LB finally drags him down 6 yards later at the 27.

We quickly get back to the line and pitch it to Brewster to the outside on a quick audible. It works thanks to an unprepared Cal team. Brewster gains 21 down the left sideline before getting dropped by a safety.

First and goal from the 6, and Coach Fulmer calls for a counter off the right guard again. It works perfectly this time as Bubba Spangler runs over the DT; opening the gaping hole for Brewster to go through.

Alston kicks the extra point and we're up, 21-0 with 13:38 left in the 2nd quarter.

GO VOLS!
Old 01-08-2004, 10:44 AM   #38
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Cal puts together another masterful drive of three plays, and Brewster runs out to take the punt. Brewster doesn't do much better than Serra; returning the ball 5 yards to the Cal 48 with 12:42 left in the first half.

We run an option to the right side. It's slow to develop and I pitch late to Brewster, who gets back to the line of scrimmage. T Spangler ends up getting into it with a Cal defender on the play, and he ends up toppling the Cal player after the whistle. Flags fly from all sorts of directions, and we're now looking at 2nd and 25.

Brewster and I have a few words with Bubba, and Coach Fulmer sends in a replacement for Spangler.

The penalty backs us up to the UT37, and with a 3 TD lead, we're not going to try and be fancy and have a turnover here. We give the ball to Brewster for gains of 7 and 11 off the right side; and then punt from the Cal 45.

Redshirt sophomore Daniel Wheeler drops a nice punt inside the 10, but the short return places the ball on the 10, with 11:24 left in the half.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:22 AM   #39
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The defense heads out onto the field and they're fired up. Cal is starting with their worst field position thus far in the game.

The safety Briggs and DT Chester Murphy, a reserve player, come up with a sack at the 4 yard line. It's followed by a sack by DE Doug Stanton in the endzone. Credit the defense with 2 points, and we're going to have really good field position soon.

CB Mark Billmaier returns the free kick to the Cal 49, with 10:21 left in the half; UT up 23-0.

We start off with the freshman Mason at tailback, and we give him the ball on a trap up the middle. The trap doesn't work and Mason is dropped for a 2 yard loss.

Mason trots off the field and in comes Brewster. We run a toss to the left side for 6 yards; giving us a 3rd and 6 on the Cal 45.

We try to run a screen to Brewster, and it is successful in that it's a completion, but he's stopped 3 yards shy of the first down.

Wheeler comes out to punt again, but this time the punt tumbles into the endzone for a touchback, with 8:45 left in the half.

We go to the sideline and I'm sent right to the phone. I'm instructed to let Brewster know had he turned inside on the screen he would have had a touchdown. Instead, we had to punt.

Two drives in a row that have ended in punts; good thing we're up by 23 and the defense is playing lights out.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:41 AM   #40
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Cal's offense again lacks imagination, and the speed of our defense is top notch.

3 and out once again for Cal, but this time Serra returns the punt 58 yards down the sideline for a touchdown!

We're sitting pretty as the Cal team wallows in self pity.

The extra point gives us 30 so far on the day.

Cal still can't get anything going and again punts after 3 plays. This time Serra is tackled immediately at the UT47 and the first team offense enters the field again with 7:07 left in the half.

Brewster takes the ball up the middle for 5 on the first play, but is dropped for a loss of 3 on the next.

3rd and 8; we run a play action pass. Everett is tightly covered and Witt is too far across the field, so I turn upfield to try and get the first down. The defense clamps down on me quickly and I gain only 2, but the ball squirts out from there!

A mad scramble for the ball results in a Cal lineman recovering the ball and getting to the UT46 before being stopped.

Let's make that three straight drives we've been stopped, and my first turnover in my career. I should have slid instead of going for the 1st down.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:13 PM   #41
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Cal is blessed by my turnover with their best field position of the game, but the defense denies them anything.

3 and out, and Cal sends out the punt team again. Serra has a nice return but is tackled at the UT26.

On first down, we run a play action pass, and it works for 3 yards, but we're called for holding...and we're marked off a rare 11 yards.

So now, we're at the UT15, 1st and 21. Coach Fulmer sends Castleberry in for Everett, and we're going over the top.

"Power I right, split left, fade and post on 1, ready, break"

No fakes. Just a lob to the deep guy.

Cal lines up 8 in the box, and it appears to be bump and run on the outside, which is exactly what we want.

Ball is snapped and all the backs behind me stay into block. Castleberry takes his man deep and I lob the ball out to him.

Complete for 29! Castleberry starts to go down immediately, but the corner strips the ball from him. Both players are on the ground as the ball rolls toward midfield.

The safety covering Witt runs over to scoop the ball up but can't find the handle. Witt has the ball bounce right into his belly and starts rumbling, stumbling, and tumbling to the endzone. the safety nearly trips over himself at what he's seen and hits Witt almost half heartedly. Witt spins and bounces off the tackle with lineman ease. With what seems like 15 seconds later, Witt scores on the return.

Perhaps the happiest man on the field is Castleberry.

The extra point gives us a 37-0 lead with 4:43 left in the half.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:13 PM   #42
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Coach Fulmer gets my attention and lets me know that if Cal doesn't score this drive, then my day is most likely done. He's ready to bring in true freshman walk on Terry Schroeder.

I can understand that. I'm sure he wants to get some experience for his 2nd team QB.

Cal doesn't score, and Schroeder trots onto the field with a mix of starters and reserves.

In fact, I don't get back into the game.

The game gets even uglier as Schroeder has a hard time holding onto the ball, and Cal has an even harder time trying to score.

The game ends with a 61-0 shelling of Cal.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:22 PM   #43
Poli
FOFC Survivor

For those inclined to stats

Code:
Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 48 Brewster 24 162 6.7 21 1 49 Mason 18 84 4.6 23 1 7 Schroeder 5 9 1.8 19 0 15 AE 3 13 4.3 10 0 37 Bedford 2 6 3.0 6 0 82 Everett 1 6 6.0 6 1 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int 15 AE 9 9 113 12.5 29 1 0 7 Schroeder 10 6 83 8.3 24 1 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 43 Prescott 3 34 11.3 35 18 0 48 Brewster 3 29 9.6 15 14 1 32 Jordan 2 16 8.0 11 14 0 95 Witt 2 35 17.5 12 24 0 8 Castleberry 1 29 29.0 0 29 0 86 Witt 1 16 16.0 7 16 0 82 Everett 1 10 10.0 6 10 0 91 Kolodzik 1 16 16.0 26 16 1 37 Bedford 1 11 11.0 1 11 0
Other stats available upon request.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:29 PM   #44
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by ardent enthusiast
Other stats available upon request.

So, uh, how was your punter?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 06:22 PM   #45
Poli
FOFC Survivor

4 punts, 3 inside the 20.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #46
Poli
FOFC Survivor

In the locker room, Coach Fulmer gives the game ball to J.B. Brewster, and it was well deserved. Without J.B., I wonder how our team would have done.

Two things were clear about Cal:[list=1][*]They needed to stop J.B. Brewster, so they ran 8 man fronts all day, and [*]they weren't able to stop him.[/list=1]

I am mobbed by sportswriters who let me know for the first time that I didn't miss a pass all day. I knew I had a good day, but not that good!

Someone mentions that I've had the best debut ever of a Tennessee QB.

That makes me smile, because I geuss I did. Casey, Peyton, and Heath: Eat your heart out.

Of course, I have to put it in perspective. I was playing a very weak Cal team geared towards the run, which wasn't the case of the other three.

The players disperse to the places where they may be from, and I go home to my dorm room to relive the moments I will relish my entire lifetime.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:20 PM   #47
tucker342
Pro Starter

Wow! Great game.

Good way to start your college career
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 09:36 PM   #48
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Thanks, tucker, and thanks to everyone else who posted during the game.

Especially Rocky Top.

Game story aside for a moment, I'm honestly surprised at how well I performed. Cal may not really be that good, but to get rolled over like that?

I would have predicted the defense shutting down Cal, but I think I would have expected a little more of a struggle offensively, especially with the passing game. 9 of 9 is hard to believe for a good quarterback, much less me.

I recall a story I once heard about a qb (Testaverde?) that set a record for completions in a row for a game...and the complaint mentioned that the defense that they played against was poor. The counter was that most qb's can't have a perfect game against "air", much less a defense.

This has definitely been fun to write and play. I am glad I took notes during the game, as the log doesn't tell you the whole story.

I hope you all are enjoying this half as much as I am.

That said, I'm going home for the weekend tomorrow afternoon. I may post a bit of the week leading up to Syracuse, but not a whole lot until Monday evening.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
Old 01-08-2004, 09:50 PM   #49
govols
Mascot

Anyone remember Tee Martin's game against South Carolina in 1998. Tee hit his first 23 passes for over 300 yards before missing on the 24... It was an NCAA record...

Too bad you didn't get a chance to break the record...
govols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:18 PM   #50
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Oh, I remember. The receiver dropped the ball.