Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2004, 12:42 PM   #101
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Alston places the kickoff in the endzone, but this time the returner brings the ball out to the NU22.

Wow, their best field position.

This time I get to thank Briggs for the turnover before he heads out, and then I quickly head back over to the offensive coordinator.

NU goes 3 and out, but delivers a good punt. CB Bart Serra returns the punt 10 yards to the UT34; our worst field position of the game, with 7:02 on the clock.

Our first play of the drive is a bit of a trick play; a screen pass to the TE Witt. It works, sort of, for a gain of 2, but I'm leveled after the play and FB Roman Prescott has to help me up off the ground. The cheer that results isn't because I got up, but from the late flag from the referee. A late hit penalty puts the ball on the Northwestern 49.

Coach calls for a pass; a post pattern by Witt specifically. The ball is tipped away, as their safety makes a good play. Second down and we go option right. Brewster takes the pitch down the sideline for a gain of 5 to the NU44. Third and 5, and we get 8 on a trap off the right side.

It worked well, so we run a trap up the middle on first down, but only get a yard. You know what is coming. Play action. This time to the FB Willie Jordan, who gets the needed 9 yards for a 1st down at the NU 26.

Option right is the play called and the DE crashes down on me. A quick pitch to Brewster should get us solid yards, but instead J.B. slips on the grass and is stopped for a loss of 2. Dang it. Second down and Coach Fulmer calls for a fade to the endzone. Witt and Everett go to opposite ends and I lob the ball to Everett. Everett fights for the ball and makes the catch in the endzone, Touchdown Tennessee!

Alston adds the extra point.

21-0 UT with 4:00 left in the 1st quarter.

3 touchdowns in the 11 minutes. Wow.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:48 PM   #102
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Alston doesn't kick the ball off as deep as usual, and the NU returner brings the ball all the way to the NU33.

Northwestern actually silences the crowd as they beat Serra on a fade and are inside the UT20 yard line. S Briggs picks off an errant pass in the endzone and the crowd comes back to life.

Our ball at the 20, with 2:24 left in the 1st quarter.

A trap off the left side gets Brewster 9, and a slant pass to Everett nets 10 and a first down.

Brewster gains 4 off right guard, and I'm called upon to run a bootleg right. The NU defenders are fooled initially, but the DB's quickly gain ground on me and I end up losing a yard in the process.

It ends the first quarter.

At the end of the 1st quarter, it's UT 21, Northwestern 0.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:57 PM   #103
Poli
FOFC Survivor

3rd and 7 on the UT42, and we run an old fashioned sweep left. It works to perfection and Brewster gains 12 before stepping out of bounds. We come back with a sweep right and gain 8 yards on the other side of the field as well.

Brewster plunges over the right side for 3 and another first down. We try and get fancy and I throw the ball to a wide open Brewster, but I end up missing him completely. No one said I had accuracy.

2nd and 10 on the NU35, and we run a sweep right. It nets 4 and sets up a 3rd and 6. RB Brandon Mason comes in to spell Brewster and catches a screen pass. He gets the first down and more with a total of 17 yards on the play.

Brewster returns and we run option left. The DE crashes and Brewster takes the quick pitch upfield instantly. He's stopped at the 2 yard line and once again we are in the Orange Zone.

Brewster plunges up the middle for 1 on first down, and gets the touchdown on a plunge on 2nd down.

Touchdown, Tennessee!!

Peters crushed a linebacker to give Brewster the needed room. Alston adds the extra point.

28-0 UT with 11:05 left in the half.

Last edited by Poli : 01-21-2004 at 12:57 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 01:06 PM   #104
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The kickoff by Alston goes into the endzone, and the returner brings the ball out to the Wildcat 19, where he's tackled by my roommate, Aaron Moser.

NU can't put a drive together and punts the ball away. Serra comes away with a 15 yard return, and we go back out onto the field at the NU38 with 9:33 left in the half.

Brewster gains 10 over the left guard for a first down, but slips on the next play for a loss of 1. Second and 9 at the NU29. The call is a play action pass, but Witt and Everett are well covered. I head upfield along the sideline and get 7 yards before a safety forces me out of bounds.

A drop back pass on 3rd and 4 results in a first down as I hit Mason for 8 yards. 1st and 10 at the NU14 and we run option right. Again the end crashes down and again I get rid of the ball quickly to Brewster. He's finally brought down at the 3 yard line.

A dive up the middle nets 2 for Brewster, and we run play action on 2nd and goal from the 1. The result? Witt makes another easy TD catch, and Alston adds the extra point.

Touchdown, Tennessee!

35-0 UT with 5:44 left in the half.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:09 PM   #105
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm told as I get to the sideline that if Northwestern doesn't score on this drive, that I'm done for the day.

I watch as the Wildcats go to their number 2 QB as well and go 3 and out.

My day is finished.

Neil Schneider finishes the game at QB, but is hardly impressive.

The defense returns an interception for a score, and Schroeder runs an option in as well.

Alston hits a field goal, but misses one as well.

Northwestern nearly scored at the end of the game, as the UT defense was in prevent.

Final score: Northwestern 0, Tennessee 52.

Last edited by Poli : 01-21-2004 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:59 PM   #106
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Gooooooooo Orange!
Old 01-21-2004, 07:47 PM   #107
tucker342
Pro Starter

wow... that was pretty ugly

Good win
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 08:41 PM   #108
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Back in the locker room, Coach Fulmer awards J.B. Brewster his second game ball of the season. Finally I can get dry after watching just over a half of football from the sideline.

It's dawned on me that in the 3 games this year, I've haven't quite played 2 whole games. Neil Schneider, another walk on freshman, played this week.

Another off week provides our team with some more R & R. We play Mississippi State at Starksville in two weeks.

Lady luck is on our side, as no one reports any injury of consequence.

Last edited by Poli : 01-21-2004 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:53 PM   #109
Poli
FOFC Survivor

3 UT players are again recognized as players of the week. Again, I'm named one of them.

Running backs J.B. Brewster and Brandon Mason are recognized as well.

This week's numbers:

Code:
Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 48 Brewster 29 127 4.3 19 2 49 Mason 19 93 4.8 20 0 15 AE 3 12 4.0 7 0 6 Schneider 3 9 3.0 8 1 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int 15 AE 11 9 89 8.0 28 3 0 6 Schneider 13 6 66 5.0 20 0 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 95 Witt 4 24 6.0 29 17 2 32 Jordan 3 21 7.0 11 12 0 82 Everett 3 48 16.0 35 28 1 49 Mason 3 30 10.0 27 17 0 8 Castleberry 2 32 16.0 14 20 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 2 Wheeler 2 80 40.0 40 1

It's hard to be more consistent than Wheeler.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:08 PM   #110
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Season stats through 3 games:

Code:
Player Pos Team GP GS Att Cmp Pct Yards Avg Lg TD Int Sk Yards Rating AE QB TENN 3 3 49 38 77.5 444 9.06 29 7 0 1 5 200.7 Schroeder, Terry QB TENN 1 0 10 6 60.0 83 8.30 24 1 0 2 10 162.7 Schneider, Neal QB TENN 1 0 13 6 46.1 66 5.07 20 0 0 0 0 88.7 Player Pos Team GP GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD Brewster, J.B. RB TENN 3 3 93 431 4.6 21 3 Mason, Brandon RB TENN 3 0 39 185 4.7 23 1 Schroeder, Terry QB TENN 1 0 5 9 1.8 19 0 AE QB TENN 3 3 10 27 2.7 10 0 Schneider, Neal QB TENN 1 0 3 9 3.0 8 1 Everett, Steven WR TENN 3 3 2 9 4.5 6 1 Bedford, Terrell RB TENN 3 0 2 6 3.0 6 0 Player Pos Team GP GS Targ Ctch Yards Avg YAC Lg TD Witt, Dominic TE TENN 3 3 15 10 140 14.0 101 28 3 Prescott, Roman FB TENN 3 3 10 8 85 10.6 69 18 0 Everett, Steven WR TENN 3 3 10 8 97 12.1 63 28 3 Jordan, Willie FB TENN 3 3 8 7 53 7.5 32 14 0 Brewster, J.B. RB TENN 3 3 6 5 56 11.2 25 15 1 Mason, Brandon RB TENN 3 0 8 5 47 9.4 35 17 0 Castleberry, Terry WR TENN 3 0 11 4 72 18.0 17 29 0 Witt, Monty TE TENN 2 0 1 1 16 16.0 7 16 0 Kolodzik, Thomas TE TENN 3 0 1 1 16 16.0 26 16 1 Bedford, Terrell RB TENN 3 0 2 1 11 11.0 1 11 0 Player Pos Team Punt Yards Avg Lg In20 Wheeler, Daniel P TENN 6 241 40.1 51 4

Wheeler is the model punter. 40 yards and it's almost a lock to be inside the 20.

What surprised me is that we didn't throw the ball to fullback Prescott against Northwestern. He was our leading receiver going into the game. Now it's Dominic Witt. Who says we don't throw to the TE at UT?
Old 01-21-2004, 11:39 PM   #111
Crim
College Benchwarmer

A 200 rating?!? I'm starting walk-on QBs in TCY from here on out!

Good reading, AE, keep it coming. First time in my life I've ever rooted for UT! (big Gator fan, ya know...)

Crim
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 11:47 PM   #112
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

AE has the heisman pose.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:24 AM   #113
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim
Good reading, AE, keep it coming. First time in my life I've ever rooted for UT! (big Gator fan, ya know...)

Crim

Wow, that has to be rough. I'm not sure I could ever root for the Gators. That's a very big compliment; thank you. I know full well what that means.

Mizzou: I sure hope I'm not striking that pose. I don't want the Vols getting cocky. The two easy wins were against bottom feeders...and I didn't know that when I scheduled them. I schedule based on getting home games and to try and get space through the early part of the season.

Cal accepted immediately for the opener, and then Northwestern offered at week 4 to come to Neyland. Seeing as that was the week I wanted to fill, it fit perfectly.

Syracuse was a tough game, and by all accounts, we were lucky to win that one. Our defense was scored on often, and had I not had a mythical performance I doubt we would have won it. If any team can score on us, we'll be in trouble, I have a feeling.

We had great field position in the NU game. Our average start was on the UT42. ON AVERAGE. The first two drives started inside the NU40. Unbelievable.

This team is built pretty well. Especially if a walk on of my caliber can succeed.

No injuries so far has been a blessing so far as well. Not a one. Wow. With SEC games the rest of the way and little time off, I doubt that lasts very long. Still when other teams are hurting and you're at full strength...that's a good feeling.

What I found interesting was the assistants moved Schneider in ahead of Schroeder for the Northwestern game. I didn't notice it until I posted the stats. The names were so close I didn't even catch it for a while. I wonder if I'll have a fight for the #2 job through the year.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:52 AM   #114
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The off week passes too quickly, and before I know it, it's Saturday again. The Game of the Week is Purdue vs. Ohio State, but we'll be watching MSU at South Carolina as well.

Ohio State beats Purdue 27-17, and MSU shocks #20 South Carolina, 28-14.

We may have a game on our hands, boys.

Mississippi State is 2-1. They started the season off with a loss to Virginia, but have rebounded with wins over Memphis and South Carolina.

Teams appear to have a better time passing than running on the Bulldogs, and that appears to be how the Cavaliers defeated them. South Carolina had 39 yards rushing; Memphis had 8. Third down percentage is the key to the Bulldog success, with just 27% conversion against their defense.

Something's got to give.

MSU has three very good linebackers which may present some problems for us. They also have a terrific corner and a good defensive tackle. I think this defense may be better than Syracuse's.

On the injury front, their top reserve defensive tackle will miss the game with an elbow injury. On the offense, their starting quarterback is questionable and a starting receiver is out.

It sounds like our defense may shut them out...so we may just need one or two scores in this game.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:02 AM   #115
Poli
FOFC Survivor

During the practice week, the latest polls come out:

Code:
School Record Conf Rank Ohio State 4-0 B10 1 **Tennessee 3-0 SEC 2 Nebraska 4-0 B12 3 Georgia 2-0 SEC 4 Georgia Tech 3-0 ACC 5 Oklahoma 3-1 B12 6 Stanford 3-0 PAC 7 Arkansas 4-0 SEC 8 Florida State 2-1 ACC 9 Arizona State 4-0 PAC 10 South Florida 3-0 USA 11 Colorado State 3-1 MOU 12 Washington 2-1 PAC 13 Alabama 2-1 SEC 14 UCLA 3-1 PAC 15 Virginia 3-0 ACC 16 Miami 3-1 BEA 17 Syracuse 3-1 BEA 18 North Carolina 4-0 ACC 19 Oregon 3-1 PAC 20 Florida 2-1 SEC 21 Texas 1-2 B12 22 UNLV 3-0 MOU 23 Kansas State 2-1 B12 24 Utah 2-1 MOU 25
Old 01-22-2004, 09:12 AM   #116
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Neil Schneider has apparently locked in the #2 job behind me. It's a bit of a surprise considering Terry Schroeder had a better game against Cal than Neil had against Northwestern.

The game plan really hasn't changed all that much for the week. We're trying to get Mason the ball a little more, but we know we'll win or lose depending on how J.B. Brewster performs.

This will be our first SEC game, and Coach Fulmer is making sure we all know it. MSU opened their SEC play with a surprise win over South Carolina...so you know they'll be gunning for us.

Tennessee received a big commitment this week from the #1 high school player in the nation, a quarterback. The kid from Ohio threw for more than 2000 and ran for over a 1000 in just nine games. I bet he starts next season.

With no injuries, our lineups remain the same for offense and defense. I only wish we could have Wheeler kick field goals because Alston is really struggling this year.

The weather forecast for the game in Starksville is good: 63 degrees and clear skies. The game is one of two SEC games of the week; the other being Georgia at LSU. The game will be shown on TV3, which basically means if you live in the south, you'll get to see the game.

Sorry, Frog, you'll have to listen on the radio again.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:11 AM   #117
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Beautiful weather in Starksville, and a sold out stadium to boot. It'll be a great day for football.

We lose the coin toss again and Mississippi State elects to receive. K Ray Alston sends the ball down to the 1, and it's returned to the 28. In on the tackle was my roommate, Aaron Moser. Moser is a walk on just like me, so it's great to see him playing on special teams.

MSU comes out on fire and everyone on the sideline is stunned. Runs, passes, whatever. Everything working well for the cause of the Bulldogs. Our best corner and returner Bart Serra went down with what appears to be a serious injury after one completion. That is really going to hurt.

The Bulldogs drive all the way downfield to our 1 yard line. Coach Fulmer sends out our goal line defense and the team responds. Back to back 3 yard losses on running plays makes it 3rd and 7. The MSU is hit as he throws the ball, and MLB Mitch Briggs of Stone Mountain, GA grabs the ball in the endzone. Touchback, and the Vols have somehow denied the MSU offense.

Wow, that's all I can think as I buckle up the chinstrap and head out onto the field with half the 1st quarter over (7:37 left in the first).

Once again Coach Fulmer wants us to bait the defense into thinking dive on the first play. The first play is a fake to FB Roman Prescott. I scan the defense, it's a 50. We had success against it last week, hopefully we will today as well.

Prescott plunges forward and I look deep downfield to WR Steven Everett. He's not open so I dump it off to RB J.B. Brewster for 10 yards and the first.

So far, so good.

The next play is option left. The Bulldogs over compensate for Brewster and leave me alone. I cut upfield behind TE Dominic Witt's massive block and gain 11 before being tackled. 1st down UT at the UT41.

Play action off the dive again and this time the ball goes out to Prescott in the flat. It's good for 9 yards. We send Brewster over right tackle on the next play, but he loses 2 yards.

What do we always do when a team stops a running play? Play action. We run play action from the off tackle play...looking for Prescott again. I find him in the flat and throw it out there...but it's tipped away. It sets up a 4th and 3 at the UT48 and the punt team comes onto the field.

Wheeler gets off a wicked punt. A 46 yard punt to the MSU6, and the returner dances around, only to be dropped for a yard loss.

0-0 with 5:41 left in the 1st quarter.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:30 AM   #118
Poli
FOFC Survivor

On the sideline I talk to the offensive coordinator about our last drive. 5 plays, 3 passes, 2 runs. Not good. Not good at all. We need to get the ball to Brewster. We did, once. Loss of 2. I'm concerned that MSU is forcing me to win this game; they went all out to stop Brewster on our option play.

I'm told to buckle up, because we're heading right back out. MSU went 3 and out. A short punt and 5 yard return by CB Marc Billmaier gives us a first down at the Mississippi State 34 yard line with 4:21 left in the first quarter. We need to score from here.

The play call is a drop back pass with Everett and Witt running slants and the backs going to the flats. I drop back but I'm flushed from the pocket and unload quickly to Prescott. I miss him completely thanks to the pressure and it's 2nd down.

We motion Brewster out of the I and send him into the slot beside Everett on 2nd down. He runs a post pattern and I hit him for a 10 yard gain before he's taken down. 1st down, good guys.

Option right is the next call and again the defense over compensates for Brewster. This time, however, I can only gain a yard as the defense was all over me. 2nd down and I hit a wide open Everett on an out pattern, but Steven drops the ball. To my knowledge, my first pass that's been dropped. 3rd down and 9, I find Witt over the middle, who rumbles forward. He barely crosses the marker with a 10 yard gain.

1st and 10 on the MSU13, and we run a trap up the middle to Brewster for no gain. On 2nd down we motion Brewster out of the backfield into the slot again. I pump fake to Brewster as he goes across the middle and the defense bites. Brewster spins around, running the post corner route, and I find him just inside the endzone for a touchdown.

Touchdown, Tennessee!

Alston adds the extra point.

7-0 UT with 2:13 left in the first quarter.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:41 AM   #119
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Again on the sideline the offensive coordinator and I talk strategy. MSU has completely stopped Brewster so far on the ground. We haven't really tried to get him the ball much, though. We resolve to force the ball to him on this next drive, which comes up rather quickly as well.

MSU goes 3 and out for the 2nd time in a row, but this time gets off a good punt. Billmaier makes the fair catch at the UT35 with 13 seconds left in the first quarter.

Despite our resolution, we run playaction on the first play from the scrimmage. I lob the ball over to FB Willie Jordan, but it falls short of its mark. 2nd down. Option right, and I bring the ball down the sideline. MSU is all over Brewster, but I pitch it to him anyway. He heads up the field, but is still dropped for a loss of a yard as the first quarter expires.

End of the first quarter.

7-0, UT.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:53 AM   #120
Poli
FOFC Survivor

3rd and 11 on the UT34, and the MSU defense substitutes in their dime package. We're content to run the ball, calling another option right. The DE is in rush mode and comes straight at me, which allows Brewster to spring free. He runs freely through the defense for 13 and a first down.

We come back with option left and Brewster gets 5 up the sideline. We pound the ball up the middle with Brewster for another 6 and a first down at the MSU48. Finally, some breaks.

Option right and the defense smothers Brewster again. I gain 3 before being dropped. 2nd down and 7, and we go with a play action pass. MSU brings the blitz and Prescott doesn't stop his defender. I'm dropped for a loss and out squirts the ball.

A big pileup ensues, but MSU has recovered the ball at the UT49.

Man, we had something going there, too.

12:36 left in the half, UT 7, MSU 0.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:06 AM   #121
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Fortunately, penalties force MSU back and they have to punt. Billmaier gets a nice return to the UT39, but a holding call sends us back to the UT26 with 11:27 left in the half.

The first play we call is option right and MSU is all over us. I pitch to Brewster quickly out of desperation, who nets only a yard on the play. 2nd down, and we give to Brewster over left guard for 4. 3rd and 5, I hit Witt on an out pattern for the 1st down and more...for a gain of 10.

1st and 10 at the UT41. Brewster goes up the middle on two straight plays, getting 7 and 2 yards, respectively. The ball is on the 50 with a 3rd and 1. We give it to Brewster again up the middle and he gets 2 more and the first down.

Now seems like a good time for a reverse, and we run it with WR Terry Castleberry. Terry gets 2 before the defense gets to him. Brewster goes off tackle on 2nd down for 4, setting up a 3rd and 4 at the MSU42.

Play action and my receivers are covered. I head back upfield but I'm forced to slide to the ground at the line of scrimmage.

Wheeler comes into punt and kind of shanks it. Give him 24 yards on the punt, but it is a fair catch at the MSU18. I guess technically it's a good punt since it's inside the 20.

MSU takes over with 6:09 left in the half, UT7, MSU 0.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:26 AM   #122
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The Bulldogs go 3 and out again, but a booming 58 yard punt goes out of bounds at the UT15 with 3:51 left in the half.

Brewster gets a carry, but is stopped for no gain. Another carry over left guard nets 8. 3rd and 2, and we call a sweep play for Brewster, which gains the 2 yards we need.

1st and 10 and Brewster gains 9 on a toss play, but it's called back for holding; an 11 yard penalty. We throw on first down and it's tipped away from Everett. 2nd down and we run the reverse with Castleberry again. It works wonderfully. Castleberry gets 22; just past the first down marker with 1:20 left in the half.

We're on the UT36, and the call is option left. I tell the offense we'll go on the hard count this time, and MSU jumps offside. 5 free yards to the UT41. We run option left, but Brewster is smothered again and I can only gain a yard.

2nd and 4 with 1:01 left, and the call is for fade routes. Everett is double covered, but I try to force the ball in anway. It's knocked down at the line, fortunately.

3rd and 4, and Mason converts a screen pass into a 5 yard gain and a first down. I get the referee's attention and call time out quickly.

1st and 10 with 42 seconds left in the half. We discuss the next play on the sideline. We'll look for Witt over the middle. Back on the field; Witt's open on the play and I feed him the ball, but somehow he drops it.

2nd and 10; 35 seconds in the half at the UT47. It's not looking good for us. We give the ball to Brewster, hoping to surprise the defense. It works, and J.B. gets 12 before falling. As he tries to get up, he's slammed back to the ground and a flag flies in: Personal foul against MSU. With the penalty, we get the ball at the Bulldog 26 with 27 seconds left in the half.

We decide to play it safe and move the ball to midfield with two carries (followed by time outs) by Brewster for 3 yards a piece. It sets up a 34 yard FG attempt by Alston, who converts the attempt to give UT a 10-0 lead with 2 seconds left in the half.

We have to kick off, despite the time, and Alston kicks it short to the 4. The returner fumbles the ball and it's recovered by the UT coverage unit...but time has expired.

At the half, it's UT 10, MSU 0.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:02 PM   #123
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The locker room is a somber place. Everyone files in and it's certainly not an all smiles situation like the Northwestern game.

Offensively, we go over what we need to do better. We have to get the ball to J.B. We know that, but we have to open some holes for him as well. It's almost as if no one is blocked when we run the option.

The receivers have to focus. We can't afford to have dropped passes. Not today. Not ever.

Defensively, after the shocking first drive, we held the Bulldogs in check. We're doing well, despite news that Serra might be gone for most of the regular season.

Coach Fulmer speaks to us. He reminded us that no one picked us to win the SEC. That MSU is sitting in their locker room thinking that they can win this game in the second half. We need to show them what pride is all about.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:17 PM   #124
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

For halftime celebration, the Fargo Midget Llama squad. They will be performing their award winning act, hide the smelly, poop covered midget in the llamas ass! Enjoy!
Old 01-22-2004, 06:14 PM   #125
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The Vols take the field for the second half, and it doesn't take a scientist to tell we're fired up.

Billmaier takes the kickoff back to the UT20, and the starting offense takes the field.

Brewster dives up the middle but the Bulldog defense was all over it. Brewster is tackled almost as soon as I give hime the ball; a 3 yard loss. We send him off the left guard, this time for 4 yards. 3rd and 9, and a screen to Jordan narrowly gives us a first after a gain of 9.

1st and 10; I underthrow a wide open Everett. 2nd down; Brewster goes out of the game, and in comes Mason. Mason in motion to the split end side, and once again it opens up the defense. Mason makes the catch and gets 15 before being hauled down.

Back to Brewster, over the right guard for 3. Time to run a play we haven't called in a while, the option reverse. We head left and I pitch out to Everett heading right. The defense isn't fooled and Everett has nowhere to go and is dropped for a loss of 3 at the UT45. 3rd down and I see Witt open over the middle but in my attempt to lob it over the defender I overthrow the tight end.

In comes the punter, and he snaps off another good punt, this time to the MSU 16 yard line. The returner once again dances around, this time fooling a few defenders. He doesn't stop there and loses ground in hopes of a bigger return. He should have stopped when he was ahead. He loses 6 yards on the return...giving the Bulldogs 1st and 10 on their 10 yard line with 10:53 left in the 3rd quarter.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:52 PM   #126
tucker342
Pro Starter

Looking pretty good at the moment.... hopefully you can keep the lead
Old 01-22-2004, 07:38 PM   #127
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Mississippi State comes out with a good drive that gets them into field goal position. Fortunately for Vol fans, a holding penalty and a sack by DE Doug Stanton push them back across the 50. A horrible punt is fielded by Billmaier at the UT32, who called for a fair catch with 7:01 left in the 3rd quarter.

We come out with our motion set play. Brewster motions out and I hit him across the middle for 11. First down and Brewster carries off right guard for no gain. Mason comes in and we go back to the motion play again. We went to the well once too often and a Bulldog linebacker picks the ball off. The linebacker returns the ball to the UT45 before being tackled by Mason.

My first interception. I'm finally looking like a walk on.

5:52 left in the 3rd quarter, 10-0 UT.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:03 PM   #128
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Fortunately, the defense stands tall and MSU doesn't gain a yard in 3 plays. The Bulldog punter tries to drop the ball in, but the punt lands in the endzone...no harm, no foul. Neither of my turnovers thus far have resulted in points for Mississippi State.

We run our first counter play on first down, and Brewster nets 3 yards. We try option right on second down. The DE collapses on me, and I pitch quickly. A LB fills quickly, though, and Brewster is dropped for a yard loss. 3rd and 8 and I hit Everett on a fade route for 19. Play is momentarily stopped as a MSU defensive lineman appears seriously injured.

First down, and Brewster rumbles off right guard for 4. 2nd down and I short arm a pass to Witt. 3rd and 6 on the UT45 and we run up the middle with Brewster. It nets 3, and we're forced to punt again.

Wheeler trots out and drops a 39 yarder to the MSU returner at the 13. A fair catch is called at the 13 with 2 minutes left in the third quarter.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:11 PM   #129
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Mississippi State finishes out the 3rd quarter with the ball, but is forced to punt again with 14:19 left in the game. A fair catch is called for at the UT 34 yard line.

Play action is the call for first down and my receivers are covered. I work hard to get upfield and get some yardage...netting 2 before the defense forces me down. On second down we run a trap up the middle; Brewster is stopped after 3. 3rd and 5 at the UT39, and I throw to Everett on stop and go. The ball is picked off at midfield and returned to the UT32 before he is spilled along the sideline. Meanwhile I was busy getting pounded by a linebacker who pretended to be blocking me.

My third turnover of the game.

With 12:52 left in the game, it's 10-0 UT.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:16 PM   #130
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I am probably the biggest supporter of our defense outside of our defensive coordinator. 3 plays, 7 yards, and MSU is stopped at the Tennessee 25 yard line. The Bulldog place kicker comes out, and nails the 42 yard field goal.

It could have been far worse, and my three turnovers have now yielded 3 points in the game. I may love our defense, but I doubt our defense loves me.

With 11:14 left in the game, it's 10-3 UT.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:14 PM   #131
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The crowd here at Scott Field is louder than it has been all game as the kickoff floats deep into the endzone. Moser downs the ball for a touchback.

The Volunteer offense heads out onto the field, hoping to protect their slim seven point lead.

I come out throwing, despite my lack of success this half. I hit Castleberry over the middle on a deep post for 14 to get things rolling.

Two carries over right guard for Brewster net us 4 and 3 yards, and makes it 3rd and 3 at the UT41 yard line. A quick slant to Castleberry gains 9 and the coveted first down.

Brewster gains 3 off a trap up the middle, but I'm more concerned that Everett has to limp off the field. We send Brewster over right guard next, but he's stopped at the line for no gain.

Third down and we go to the play action. Prescott makes a crucial catch and makes the first down by three yards. First down, Tennessee, at the MSU37.

Brewster heads off the field and in comes Mason. We run option left and the defense strings us out. The defense finally forces me to pitch and Mason cuts upfield, but there's no one there to stop him. Mason sprints down the sideline 25 yards until a safety finally pushes him out of bounds! First down, Tennessee!

Mason stays in and we go with option left again. This time the defense flies to Mason and I turn the ball upfield. I see the endzone, I smell the endzone, but I'm stopped short by 5 yards.

2nd and 3 at the 5 yard line, and Mason takes a pitch around right end for a touchdown! Alston adds the extra point, and the crowd is silenced.

With 6:01 left in the game, it's 17-3 Tennessee. The MSU hope of an upset has most likely ended.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:40 PM   #132
Blade6119
Coordinator

finally caught up, but a little dissapointed that a missouri boy is backing UT...but i see you are trying to run them into the groud so its alright

Your doing great, and great dyansty so far!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:40 PM   #133
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Alston sends the kick to the 1 yard line, where it's returned to the 26.

MSU runs 2 plays to get some yardage, but throws the ball deep on third down, where Billmaier intercepts the pass. He's tackled immediately and it's our ball again at the MSU 47 with 5:16 left in the game.

This just about seals the game.

Brewster runs off the right side for 2, and I hit Witt over the middle for 10 yards and a first down.

Option right, and I can sense the fight is gone from the Bulldog defense, the pursuit isn't as great as it was earlier. I pitch the ball out to Brewster and he gains 18 before being hauled down at the MSU 17.

Brewster runs up the middle, but this time is stopped for a 2 yard loss. We try our motion pass play with Mason, but the ball is tipped away. The defense looks pretty familiar with that play now.

3rd and 12 on the 19, and we go option right. The end crashes down and the pitch is given to Brewster who gains 8 to the 11 yard line. The Bulldogs call a desperation time out.

Alston lines us for a 28 yard field goal and hits it.

20-3 UT with 2:27 left in the game.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:42 PM   #134
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
finally caught up, but a little dissapointed that a missouri boy is backing UT...but i see you are trying to run them into the groud so its alright

Your doing great, and great dyansty so far!

Couple of reasons for this. When I first started watching football, I lived just outside of Knoxville, in Lenoir City, TN. I then moved to Missouri where the college football atmosphere isn't half what it is there.

Second, ever try and make Missouri a national power in TCY?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:49 PM   #135
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Alston sends this kickoff deep into the endzone, but the returner brings it out. He gets to the 21 before he's taken down.

2 plays later Mark Braun, the senior cornerback who recovered the fumble before halftime, makes an interception. He's tackled at the MSU 18 yard line with 1:49 left in the game.

I'm about to head back out onto the field when I get a hand on my shoulder pad. It's Coach Fulmer.

"We're sending in Schneider. You're done for the day, son."

I take my helmet off and watch as Schneider takes the first snap and lofts a touchdown pass to Castleberry. Alston adds the extra point to make it 27-3.

MSU sends out their second team QB for the final drive and he has success, just enough to make the game final.

Final score: Tennessee 27, Mississippi State 3

But is there a quarterback controversy at Tennessee?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:51 PM   #136
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Couple of reasons for this. When I first started watching football, I lived just outside of Knoxville, in Lenoir City, TN. I then moved to Missouri where the college football atmosphere isn't half what it is there.

Ill give you that...the game over-does how much talent differential there is between the states...Mizzou is on the lacking side for prospects...

Out of curiosity, which state do you like better, and which team do you follow the most?
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:57 PM   #137
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Ill give you that...the game over-does how much talent differential there is between the states...Mizzou is on the lacking side for prospects...

Out of curiosity, which state do you like better, and which team do you follow the most?

You won't like the answers here, either.

I love Tennessee, both the state and the team. I'd live there and coach there in a heartbeat. I'd jump to live there in a microsecond.

I know the depth chart of UT extremely well. I keep well versed on the real walk ons as well.

Mizzou, well, I like them. I know the starters, but not much more than that. I didn't see any of their games, but Mizzourah will take care of that next season.

Missouri? It's nice; I met my wife there and she'll make sure I spend the rest of my life there as well. But we live in the "Lead Belt". Draw your own conclusion as to whether that is a good thing or not.

I just like Tennessee better. Beautiful country out there. Cades Cove. You want to go there. Wow.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:17 PM   #138
Blade6119
Coordinator

hey...i love missouri, but i like the actual state of Arizona better...im just a mizzou sports fan...along with the st.louis teams...so dont worry about me not liking the answer

As for UT, as long as they beat UF and the other "evil south-eastern" schools im happy with them(though i have never been a clausen fan).
Demotivation
Old 01-22-2004, 11:33 PM   #139
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
hey...i love missouri, but i like the actual state of Arizona better...im just a mizzou sports fan...along with the st.louis teams...so dont worry about me not liking the answer

As for UT, as long as they beat UF and the other "evil south-eastern" schools im happy with them(though i have never been a clausen fan).

I wasn't thinking along the Cardinal terms...my dad played minor league baseball for them in 1957 and 58. I'm a huge Cards fan. I was sworn in on the field of Busch Stadium. My first day of boot camp was at the game.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:21 PM   #140
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hey, I'm only ranked 47th this year!

Baseball? Do the Cardinals have a team this year? ...just kidding, I actually think they might surprise many people...

Keep up the dynasty!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:58 PM   #141
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Bench Ardent. Wait until they get some real competition, they won't stand a chance.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:07 PM   #142
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The game ball is awarded, again, to J.B. Brewster, though I'd have given that to Mason after his 25 yard run and his touchdown. That took the wind out of MSU.

Everyone seemed excited on the trip home. A 27-3 victory looks a lot better than 10-0. Everyone has happy; everyone but me.

I had a terrible game; my first of the year. Three turnovers and I missed wide open receivers left and right. Couple that with Schneider's one play: a touchdown pass. I'm definitely looking over my shoulder.

What coach pulls their starter in a 20-3 ballgame? I'm not feeling very confident about my job security, that's for sure.

Sunday morning

I am woke up by Aaron who tells me to take a look at the paper.

Ardent or Neal?

The headline was just what I expected.

The writer wasn't one of my favorites, but most likely had no axe to grind about me.

Ardent or Neal?

UT Must Decide Quickly Who Will Start Against Kentucky

John Adams, Knoxville News Sentinel

I was there. I saw the game. Maybe you didn't. Maybe you're happy with a 27-3 shelling of the Mississippi State Bulldogs. The same Bulldogs that whipped a ranked South Carolina squad. Maybe you're happy enough with the victory that you won't look at the box score. Maybe you think our walk on quarterback is doing just fine. We'll cruise through the season undefeated and win that elusive national championship.

This column isn't for you. You see, QB Ardent Enthusiast wasn't very good Saturday. Three turnovers. If it wasn't for a superior UT defense, this game could have very well went the other way. Throw in his ability to miss wide open receivers, to get intentionala grounding flags, and the simplified offense that UT must run to keep the Enthusiast on the field, and we've got a recipe for disaster.

Enthusiast often looked outmatched by the MSU defense, and don't let the 27 points fool you. Most of these points came almost directly from the defense giving the offense the ball almost in the endzone, and Enthusiast still only netted 20 of the points.

Enthusiast was so bad in the game Coach Phil Fulmer sat him down near the end of the game and backup Neal Schneider went in. Schneider played superbly; netting a touchdown pass on his only throw. At least Schneider appeared confident. Enthusiast has looked lost on the field at times.

Unfortunately for UT, the Bulldog defense will not be the best defense they face all year. We face Florida at home in two weeks, and later in the season we have back to back road games against Alabama and Georgia.

Thank goodness we don't have to play the Razorbacks this year.

Why would Coach Fulmer pull Enthusiast from the game? Was he concerned the walk on senior wasn't getting the job done? Perhaps the senior has lost the confidence of his coach. Maybe the freshman surprised the coaches with his ability to grasp our relatively simple offense.

Whatever the case, Coach Fulmer isn't speaking. Neither he nor the rest of his coaching staff were available for comment following the game.

One thing is for certain: If we're to beat Florida, we'll need a better performance at quarterback. The only question is who will it be.

Last edited by Poli : 01-25-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:19 PM   #143
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The news made my heart sink. I got over it quickly enough; you have to. One day you're the hero, the next day you're the goat. No sense in crying over spilled milk.

Later that afternoon the team gathered to review Saturday's game film. Coach Fulmer played my mistakes over and over again. I got the point.

Coach Fulmer didn't mention anything about the damaging article in the paper, but I'm fairly certain we had all seen it. I had to wonder if there was a small contigent in the room that thought we may need to switch quarterbacks.

In our preparations for Kentucky, Coach spoke about our offense and to me specifically like he always did. This time, however, he wanted to make sure Neal Schneider had his ears open. Kentucky (1-4, 0-2) hasn't had much success this season, and we figure to beat them easily. Perhaps Coach knows we'll both end up playing because of a lopsided score.

CB Bart Serra's injury will keep him out for some time. The final diagnosis was a pulled quadricep, and he's not even dressing out for practices right now. He's not expected to be full strength for the rest of the regular season.

Neal is a nice guy. Just an eighteen year old kid from a local high school trying to live his dream, just like me. I can't fault him for that. Still, I got to believe this is my time; this is my chance. Tennessee is just another turnover or injury from yours truly from possibly making him the starter, so we have to make sure he's prepared as well.

Last edited by Poli : 01-25-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:00 PM   #144
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Monday's paper...

Grier Deserves Shot

John Adams, Knoxville News Sentinel

QB or WR; Grier has talent

Keith Grier is a true sophomore on the UT football team. You may remember when we was recruited two years ago out of Pittsburgh, PA. An option quarterback with speed to burn, his projected position in college was at running back, receiver, or defensive back. At 6-2 and over 200 lbs, he’d be a force anywhere on the field.

Grier signed with UT two years ago hoping to develop as premier receiver and returner for a nationally ranked team. Unfortunately for UT and Grier, that dream has yet to be fulfilled.

Grier played in every game last season as a true freshman, learning the receiver position as the season went along. His main contribution was on special teams; the only time he touched the ball in a game all season went for a 26 yard kick return.

Many wondered what type of player they would have had if had redshirted. Many still wonder.

Then came the debacle known as the quarterback situation, and Grier was invited to return to his high school position. Grier, so focused on learning a new position, had obviously grown a little rusty at his old position. He didn’t fare well, playing below the level of walk on Ardent Enthusiast. After a two attempts to make him a quarterback failed, Grier was permanently returned to the receiver corps.

Problem is, this season he’s not playing. Why is that? Grier played anywhere and everywhere last season; is there no spot for him this year? Why not red shirt the young man if that’s the case?

Instead UT and Coach Philip Fulmer have played Grier already this season. In one game, for one play. Excuse me if I didn’t notice immediately.

Grier still has unbelievable potential, and the recently horrible game by Enthusiast makes you wonder if maybe Coach Fulmer has other plans still for Grier. Grier, given enough time, could be a fabulous receiver. He certainly wouldn’t be worse at quarterback than Enthusiast was against Mississippi State.

We need to find a way to get our playmakers on the field; Grier is a playmaker. Let's not make this into another Gerald Riggs, Jr., story.

Last edited by Poli : 01-24-2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:21 PM   #145
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Let's shoot John Adams.....I mean......talk to him......err....yeah.....
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 12:06 AM   #146
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Smile

Phone calls from friends and family have poured in all week to offer their support.

Nearly everyone in the state of Tennessee has an opinion about the quarterback situation. The News Sentinel continued to publish articles suggesting I would be replaced.

Practice against Kentucky went well, as the team tried to focus their attention on the Wildcats. The Wildcats have one only one game and are ranked in the bottom 100 of the country. The only team that the Cats have beat, NC State, is currently ranked lower than they are.

The Wildcat defense is horrible. Questionable scholarship offers to fringe players and the decision to redshirt nearly everyone in the incoming freshman class have left numerous walk ons in the position to start. At last count 3 start on defense and 2 on offense. The biggest threat on defense, DT Clay Van Pelt, is out for the game with an injury. Two other contributors on the defense are injured as well, but may play.

I'll be trying to avoid the starting corners, as they're the best players on the Kentucky defense; but I'm not that afraid of them.

Offensively, UK runs a run and shoot offense, which means this game could get really, really, ugly. I'm confident our defense will shut them down quickly and efficiently, but with no chance for time consuming drives out of the Wildcats, could we be looking at a 70-0 game?

Both Neal Schneider and Terry Schroeder took snaps this week with elements of the starting offense. I can tell Coach Fulmer would like to see both get in the game. He's said nothing about being concerned about my play. Nothing of the sort out of the offensive coordinator or my quarterback coach, either.

Last edited by Poli : 01-25-2004 at 10:34 AM. Reason: blasted KU to UK reference
Old 01-25-2004, 12:43 AM   #147
tucker342
Pro Starter

Damn that John Adams! couldn't he "accidently" fall off a building or something?
Old 01-25-2004, 01:55 AM   #148
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Nearly everyone in the state of Tennessee has an opinion about the quarterback situation. The News Sentinel continued to publish articles suggesting I would be replaced.

You forget, over in West Tenn we do not care.

I can not under, any circumstances, root for UT. Sorry.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 02:49 AM   #149
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

KU is Kansas damnit. Get it right: UK! :P

Oh yeah... Tennessee sucks.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 04:42 AM   #150
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
KU is Kansas damnit. Get it right: UK! :P

Oh yeah... Tennessee sucks.

I was going to point this out but figured no one else cared (why again are we KU when we are the University of Kansas)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote