Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2004, 11:09 PM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Arrow Combat Mission II: Interactive Dynasty

This is an interactive dynasty using the game Combat Mission II and the various FOFC members listed below as participants. Feel free to comment and ask questions. If you'd like to be added to the waiting list, drop me a PM or post here.

= = = = = = = = = =

The FOFC Battle Group:

(4) Pz-IIIH medium tanks [2 Coffee Warlord, 2 blade6119]1 knocked out
(4) Pz-IVD medium tanks [2 SirFozzie, 2 Tasan]
(4) PSW 222 armored cars [sachmo71]2 knocked out
(2) Sturmgeschütz IIIb assault guns [kingfc22]]1 knocked out
(2) Panzerjäger I tank-hunters [Travis]]1 knocked out
(1) Infantry Company [DataKing = company commander], consisting of:
a. HQ, Section Commander, 2 HMGs
b. (3) Infantry platoons, each consisting of HQ, 3 squads, 50mm mortar [Blade, Calis, samifan24]]Blade's platoon roughed up
(1) Pioneer (engineer) Platoon, consisting of HQ, 6 squads, 3 flamethrowers, 7 halftracks [RealDeal, GoldenEagle, Qwikshot]]1 halftrack knocked out
(3) 81mm mortar teams [MrBug708]
(8) Halftracks [4 DataKing, 4 The Afoci]

= = = = = = = = = = = =

It is late June, 1941. Elements of the 11th Panzer Division, part of von Kleist’s 1st Panzer Group in Army Group South, strike eastward into Russia…

= = = = = = = = = = = =

The Random Draw:
By random selection, we drew an Axis probe in farmland with moderate tree coverage and slightly rolling terrain. There has been some moderate prior combat (shell holes and such). “Axis Probe” means the objectives are on the Russian side of the map and the force strengths are relatively equal, but the enemy units will not be entrenched.

In addition to the units you guys have, I acquired an artillery spotter (105mm) and some tactical air support. The air support (Stuka dive-bomber and strafing Me-109) is not under our control, but the artillery is. Feel free to request some as the need arises. It’s best if the spotter has a line-of-sight to the target, and then it takes 2-3 minutes to arrive, so keep those two things in mind.

Map:
I’ve captured some overhead images of the map, but it might be tricky piecing things together due to the sizes. First, take a look at the overall view.

North is the left map edge, we approach from the west (bottom) edge, and the Russians from the east (top) edge. The gray [ ? ] flags are the objectives of our probe. The (4) large ones are worth more victory points than the (3) small ones. Most of the objectives are wooded areas.

Note that there is a gray road cutting down the left-middle of the map. Nice for moving quickly, but the Russians will know that, too.

Now the interesting part. The terrain is gently rolling, which shields our advance but also shields the Russians. This could be wild! I’ve taken a ground-level view from just inside our start-up area (the large rectangular green box across the west edge), looking up the road, to give you an idea.

You panzer boys will want to use that terrain for hull-down positions (where you can peak over the crest without fully exposing yourselves).

The bulk of the map is covered by stands of trees, wheat fields (the tan patches), a few scattered buildings, and a few other features (ponds, rock outcroppings, etc.).

Then we’ve got a zoomed in north map and south map. Note that the perspective has rotated 90 degrees from the overall view.

North:

South:

There is a strip of map on the south edge that I did not include, but it is more of the same.

Set-up:

We’ve got what amounts to a battalion-strength battle group. There is no overall commander, so cooperation between the various forces will be dependent on you guys. DataKing is the company commander of the regular infantry, with Blade, Calis, and Samifan24 in charge of his three platoons, and blade6119 in command of his heavy machine gun section (this is a necessary change due to the way the unit points played out – I hope that’s cool, blade6119!). Sachmo71 is platoon commander of his four armored cars (their command range is excellent, by the way, approximately 450 meters, which means your ACs can roam a bit without losing command contact). The Afoci is platoon commander for his four halftracks (with 37mm guns), which also have a good command range. Qwikshot is platoon commander of the pioneers, with RealDeal and GoldenEagle commanding sections under his command. The rest of you have individual control over your units, which means they move independently of command (a positive thing), but also don’t have a commander to benefit from (a negative).

The engineers are mounted in their own halftracks. I’ve got the regular infantry tentatively mounted on the tanks (Pz-IIIh & Pz-IVd) and in tucker342’s halftracks, BUT we need to keep in mind that if/when the tanks start to split up this will force the infantry apart as well (which hurts in terms of command & control). DataKing and the tank commanders might want to discuss this before we start. They don’t have to ride in on the tanks, but let me know.

DataKing, blade6119, and his HMGs are in two trucks. MrBug’s mortars as well as the artillery spotter are riding in The Afoci’s halftracks.

Okay, for starters, everyone please discuss amongst yourselves how you wish to deploy. I will adjudicate things in the final decision but I’d like as much input/interaction from you guys as possible without dragging the game down. Also, feel free to ask any questions about armaments, tactics, game mechanics, whatever.

We’re goin’ in, boys!!!

Last edited by WSUCougar : 02-28-2004 at 03:09 PM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:26 AM   #2
RealDeal
High School Varsity

Do I have to obey Quikshot's orders? No offense, but he may be incompetent and cowardly. The way to beat these Russians is to take the fight to them. Glory is not for the faint of heart.
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 07:10 AM   #3
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDeal
Do I have to obey Quikshot's orders? No offense, but he may be incompetent and cowardly. The way to beat these Russians is to take the fight to them. Glory is not for the faint of heart.

That's Qwikshot! Where's my Luger Actually, before this I was going to give you and GoldenEagle as much freedom as long as we stayed within communication distance...

We still have to figure out where to position ourselves to aid the rest of the group.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 07:17 AM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I think my tanks would be a good flanking force. up one side of the field, leap frogging with the mounted infantry, trying to keep hull down, until we make contact with the enemy.

Let our infantry control them and pin them in place, and then blitzkrieg them with our panzers.

I await your commands, herr OberstGeneral....
Old 01-17-2004, 09:51 AM   #5
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

What is the armament of the halftracks in my group, are they simply transport? or are they adequate as scouts...

I believe my unit is strong enough to engage dug in troops.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:00 AM   #6
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
What is the armament of the halftracks in my group, are they simply transport? or are they adequate as scouts...

I believe my unit is strong enough to engage dug in troops.
Your halftracks are SPW 251/1's, armed with machine guns.

Edit: Your pioneer squads, though smaller (6 men), have a rifle grenade and two satchel charges to go along with 4 rifles, an SMG, and an LMG. Plus the flamethrowers. A word of warning: the flamethrowers are kick-ass at close range, but they draw a lot of enemy fire and move very slowly.

Last edited by WSUCougar : 01-17-2004 at 10:05 AM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 10:32 AM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'll let Dataking decide what he wants to do with my tanks if he feels anything nessecary for him
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 10:34 AM   #8
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Are my halftracks an assault type vehicle or more of a transport type? 37mm guns seem big to me, but I don't really know. Maybe we should ghostride one of them down the road and wait for the enemy to shoot it. Then call in the big guns.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:41 AM   #9
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Afoci
Are my halftracks an assault type vehicle or more of a transport type? 37mm guns seem big to me, but I don't really know.
Both.

At this point in the war, a 37mm gun is decent for taking on obsolete armored vehicles, but don't get into a slugging match with a T-34 or KV-1 (the Russian heavy tank). And certainly not at long range - get in close (with cover) if you can. You've got a lot of high-explosive (HE) rounds for anti-infantry and buildings, too.

By comparison, the Pz-IIIh has a 50mm gun and the Pz-IVd a short 75mm. The PSW 222 armored car has a 20mm.

And keep in mind, your armor is very thin. It won't hold up against much.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:46 PM   #10
pskov
Mascot

The first and most essential desicion we must make as a group (battalion?) is do we go far a methodical, cautious approach or a good ol' Deutsch Blitzkrieg? If the first then we should relegate the panzers to a primarily infantry support role, using the infantry to make the ground and clea all the wooded areas. If the second the panzers should be concentrated in one area of the map and sweep towards the enemy positions at speed, but not recklessly, with the infantry following behind mounted in halftracks. I personally prefer the Blitzkrieg option, after all if we wanted slow and methodical we would have chosen the Russians right?

If we Blitz we should keep in mind that the terrain looks much less wooded to the north (left on the top map). That means that area is probably where our panzers would prove more effective given the improved sight (less likley to be ambushed by a hiding AT team) and speed that comes from clearer terrain. The Pz-III's are quicker than the IV's (right, Cougar?) so they should probably take the position nearer the flank with the IV's inside them so that they from and echelon right formation by the time we contant the enemy (echelon right is a sloped line with the furthest forward vehicle on the left and the furthest back on the right, so the line 'faces' to the right. It means that firepower is more effectivley concentrated to the right of the formation, but poorer to the left). The StuG's should of course stay with the infantry as support regardless of whether we blitz or use more caution, they are basically motorized artillery with a bit of armour and can be deadly to enemy infantry packets and also buildings.
pskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 02:09 PM   #11
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Good thoughts, pskov.

A few comments to add. The Pz-IIIh and the PZ-IVd have an identical top speed, but the kicker is the Pz-III has more pop than the IV (which has a short barreled gun). While I don't deny the appeal of a blitz approach in the open terrain, keep the infantry in mind. You'll need to drop them off at some point, and you don't want them hanging in the open. The trees are a both a blessing and a curse (what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander!); they can mask enemy units, but ours as well. There's enough gaps that speed won't be too much of a concern.

Regarding the left (north) flank, that large rectangular wheat field to the north of the road and a bit beyond our green deployment box centers on a decent rise in the terrain. That would probably mask the approach and might provide a good hull-down spot, although it's unknown how close the Russians will be beyond that (they may be out of range).
Old 01-17-2004, 02:33 PM   #12
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Is the road raised enough that if we were to stay to the south side of it, we would be hidden from the North? If so, maybe I could load up some human shields...I mean soldiers and go for the minor victory points in the South.

Does the more important victory points in the North mean that it is more likely to have better resistance?
Old 01-17-2004, 02:40 PM   #13
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Afoci
Is the road raised enough that if we were to stay to the south side of it, we would be hidden from the North?

Does the more important victory points in the North mean that it is more likely to have better resistance?
Answer to Question #1: Not exactly, but there are several rises in the terrain that would mask the view from that area, including one just in front of the major objectives near the road. The ground is up and down quite a bit in that direction you are referring to.

Answer to Question #2: Probably.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:45 PM   #14
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

The scouts are ready to head in first, and see what's cooking. We'll take the point of what everyone decides as the axis of advance. Maybe on up the road, two flanking and one trailing the first one at a good distance?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 06:53 PM   #15
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I wouldn't mind trying to go after the southern victory points, so we can flank the more heavily guarded northern ones. But I am open to other(better) ideas. I just want to blow something up.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:15 PM   #16
MrBug708
Head Coach

Such a shame my mortar will take out everything beforehand
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 01:11 PM   #17
Calis
College Starter

Well my first idea was to say send the Infantry from the North towards the big objectives. We can hopefully draw most of the Russkie forces to us and keep them occupied while our armor approaches from the South and begins attacking up their flank.

But, tree cover looks a lot more dominant along the Southern portion of the map, so I think maybe we could move the infantry that way, and possibly if we led with us grunts, we could get the Russians to pull some of their heavy forces from the big VP's thinking our main thrust will be from the South. Then we could strike head on with our armor.

As for riding or footing it, if us grunts are to attack more head on, I would probably vote for on foot. If we decide to move in from the South, I'd say we could hop on some transports and haul ass there, as I think there'd be a much lower chance of us getting blown all to hell on the way. I think a swift attack on their Souther flank will throw them for quite a loop.

Pretty basic ideas there, nothing overly analytical, I'm not much for strategizing. I do think our best bet is to use us Infantry as a bit of a decoy, make them commit to one thing while we do something else. So I'm definitely up for anything, be nice if our Commander would show his face and give us some instruction!
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:21 PM   #18
Blade
College Prospect

I agree with what Calis said...I just loaded the demo and gave it a try, so now I have a better handle on how the game works. I the we should take advantage of the tree cover and take us that way, looking to draw the Russian forces.

I know, no original ideas there, but I am not much for strategizing either, and I think Calis' idea is sound.

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:12 PM   #19
tucker342
Pro Starter

Me neither... I think we should go with what Calis said
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 11:05 PM   #20
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Here’s a possible plan of advance, based on what you guys have mentioned thusfar. We’re still waiting on input from several others, though, so this is just tentative.

The main advance will be to the south. Pz-IIIs, Pz-IVs, the regular infantry, halftracks, mortars, & assault guns. We’ll use the large clusters of trees to shield the advance, dismount the infantry in the trees, and then move out from there on the minor objectives first. The armor can slide toward the middle of the map while kingfc22’s assault guns, the halftracks, and Bug’s mortars help the infantry deal with Russian resistance in the south.

Meanwhile, sachmo’s armored cars push forward across a broad front along the road and north of it, trying to get a feel for the Russian defenses without getting creamed. Travis’ tank-hunters can follow up – there is a good hull-down spot for one just before the road jukes southeast. Maybe the other can support the pioneers, who advance in their halftracks along the extreme north edge of the map, aiming for the clusters of trees in front of the pond as their preliminary goal. I’m a bit concerned about the open area leading up to there, and what the Soviets might have waiting, but who knows.

Comments?
Old 01-18-2004, 11:27 PM   #21
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

We do not know how strong the Russians are. If we take them on guns a blazin we may get slaugthered. Do we know how strong the Russians are?
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 11:45 PM   #22
RealDeal
High School Varsity

What skills do my guys have?
Old 01-19-2004, 01:15 AM   #23
Travis
Pro Rookie

I like WSU's plans, mostly because he found a nice hiding spot for me
Old 01-19-2004, 07:32 AM   #24
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

GE:
In a "probe" type of battle the two sides are roughly equal. However, the burden of advance is on the Germans, since the objectives are on the Russian side of the map. Hopefully, a cautious but steady advance will avoid a slaughter.

RealDeal:
You have two SPW 251/1 halftracks (with MGs), two pioneer squads (each with 4 rifles, a sub-machinegun, a machine gun, grenades, a rifle grenade, and two satchel charges), and one flamethrower team.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:47 AM   #25
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Word. Let's get us some Ruskies!
Old 01-19-2004, 01:57 PM   #26
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ready when you are. Got my ammo loaded and am ready to smack some Ruskies around.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:06 PM   #27
Blade6119
Coordinator

not sure where my heavy machine guns are in that plan(im cool with the switch), but it sounds like a good plan to me.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:37 PM   #28
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Alright, gentlemen. We can't wait any longer for DataKing, and I'm sure he'll pick things up when he checks back in. We should have the map set-up images uploaded tomorrow, so be ready to direct your forces from that point.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:25 AM   #29
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Turn 1: Orders Phase

Tally-ho!

Remember, the game is turn-based and acted out in one-minute increments. Post any specific tactics you want to use (formations, speed, targets, specific terrain features you want to use, etc.), or you can defer to my judgment. I’d like to get at least some kind of input from everyone every turn, however, to add to the flavor of the dynasty (even if it’s just chatter).

Infantry are all mounted on vehicles at this point – you infantry guys be sure to talk with whomever is transporting you so you’re on the same page!

A couple last issues in terms of our deployment:

(a) It’d probably be a good idea to reinforce the pioneers up north with a tank or two. Any volunteers? The infantry being transported can be carried by the assault guns.
(b) The artillery spotter and MrBug’s three mortar teams will need a good line-of-sight of the enemy positions, preferably without exposing them to enemy fire. The Afoci, that’s your cargo, so be advised.

Our main southern elements are depicted here:

The armored cars, one of Travis’ tank-hunters, and the road:

The pioneers up north:
Old 01-20-2004, 08:39 AM   #30
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Ok, scouts will move toward that copse of trees to the east (?) of the first hill. If it's clear, we would recommend that Travis move into that position as it will afford him some cover. I will take my car and crest the first hill on the way to the trees and see what I can stir up. We will fall back at the first sign of heavy resistance. The scout on the road should try to stay within visual range of the rest of the platoon at all times.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:04 AM   #31
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Well if RealDeal wants to lead, he's given the green light. But I want him close in case I need to bail him out with support.

GoldenEagle is also free to advance.

I want my group to position itself near the first set of trees as long we don't interfere with Travis' panzer (I don't want to be blocking his line of fire).
Old 01-20-2004, 09:15 AM   #32
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I think that I should try to get up to the second group of trees directly in front of me. From there, it should give us a better view.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:49 AM   #33
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I think we are on a flat terrian, so having a good defensive position is not really an option. It looks the Russians have two battle gropus close by. What would be the strategic impotance of taking the "Open and dangerous" field if any?

I second the notion for reinforcments. WSUCougar, I am a little bit confused about the maps. I see my position and the position of Traivs, but it does not add up. Is the image flipped? Am I also missing the road that Traiv is nearby? Does he have two divisions?

I would like to report to Qwikshot (and I hope he tells the higher-ups) that to me, getting the two hills that we scouting comin' in are criticial. If we can get artillery forces up there it would benefit the enitre regiment.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:18 AM   #34
Blade6119
Coordinator

the top pic is just rotated a little if im not mistaken...and since dataking has my guys in his trucks, im looking for what he wants to do...but he hasnt reported in yet, so if he doesnt i say we move up behind some of the other troops as a reserve unit and can be quickly moved where needed.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:01 AM   #35
Blade
College Prospect

Well, if I am seeing things properly, I am with Tasan and SirFozzie, so I am not sure what they want to do...I would say take advantage of the tree cover until we see what the Russians have planned...I would definitely prefer to get out of the vehicles into tree cover, instead of open ground!

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:14 AM   #36
Calis
College Starter

I'm just along for the ride.

One thing though, as it stands now am I out of command? Just curious, if we're moving forward in a fairly straightforward manner, I wouldn't want to be ooc when the Russkies open up on us.

Looks to me like our best bet is to hit that first crop of trees and see if we get blasted.

Best situation would be if we could get to that large group of trees in front of the minor victory locations without getting hammered, but I seriously doubt that'll happen..and I don't want to be stuck on a tank when the firing starts.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:05 PM   #37
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Thanks for all the input, guys! I will add some better reference markers for future maps,

sachmo71: My fault, I should add a compass to the maps, too. On the image with the armored cars, east is at the top and south to the right. Given the tree layout, I think your intention is that bunch of trees just south of the closest hill. Correct?

Qwikshot: By “first set of trees” do you mean the ones directly in front of Travis’ vehicle?

GoldenEagle: Yup, Travis has two tank-hunters. Sorry about that. The game’s camera is totally adjustable, so the angles are different. Refer back to the initial maps higher back up the thread if that’ll help.

Calis: You are a platoon leader so you are in command for your 3 squads, mortar team, and yourself.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:06 PM   #38
RealDeal
High School Varsity

I want to move at full speed to the circle of trees almost immediately norht of travis's starting position and use them for cover. If I see any Russian troops, I want to open fire on them full tilt.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:11 PM   #39
Travis
Pro Rookie

Best bet for myself would be a slow advance using as much of the local terrain for concealment as possible until we've spotted some Russians, then I can get the proper ammo ready, move into firing position and let 'er fly.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:14 PM   #40
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

WSUCougar - ok I have the map down now.My position is close to the lake. Do you see that open field as being of any strategic importance? I really do not. If the pioneers can defeat the two russian battle grous in the north and some one can attack on the south, then we can flank them and weaken their middle defense. I dont know, I guess it all depends on where they are the strongest. We are pretty much even across the board, correct?
Old 01-20-2004, 12:29 PM   #41
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Do you see that open field as being of any strategic importance? I really do not.
Nope. However, the question lies in the approach to those objectives. There's good cover up past that open/dangerous slot - if it can be safely navigated, a northern flank attack might work well. Tending in toward the middle may draw more enemy fire. Perhaps wait for sachmo's scouts to see what's cooking?

Quote:
We are pretty much even across the board, correct?
In terms of points to spend on units, yes. But the make-up of the enemy force is unknown.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:23 PM   #42
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Cougar...

yes, the trees south of the hill. But I'll take my car to the top of the hill first and then come down. That way we can be sure that it's clear and if it's suited to be an alternate firing position for the panzerjager.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:32 PM   #43
Tasan
College Starter

Okay there are trees, a lake then trees again in front of my tanks. I want to skirt the first set of trees, then the lake, and take up position at the second set of trees to prepare to dash northeast.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:42 PM   #44
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Gah! Sorry lads, I wasn't expecting this to get started so quick, and the last few days have been...interesting. :P

I'll take a look at the situation and have my orders/suggestions ready this evening. Promise.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 03:50 PM   #45
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

we'll advance to the first set of trees, does the infantry want to dismount there?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:28 PM   #46
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Okay, I'd like to be able to cover as much ground as possible, while still remaining relatively safe, before we have to dismount and slog it on foot. The first objective for the infantry is to take the 2nd "line" of trees. By this I mean the following three groups of trees.

1. On the far right (south) past the pond, the group of evergreens. Securing this group of trees is assigned to samifan24
2. In front of The Afoci's halftracks, the 2nd group of trees. They look to be a mixture of evergreens and deciduous. Taking this area is assigned to Blade's platoon.
3. To the front and slightly to the left (north) of Calis' group, the small group of deciduous trees, roughly in line with the first two. Securing this area falls to Calis and his platoon.

I request that the current mechanized groups (The PzIIIs, PzIVs, and tucker's halftracks) transport our troops up to those points. The objective areas are still a ways back yet, so I do not foresee us encountering a lot of resistance before we reach those objectives. That being said, at the first sign of enemy resistance, I want you guys to dismount ASAP. After we reach those objectives, assuming you haven't already, dismount and secure good firing positions. (I reserve the right to try to beg, plead, and cajole my way into more transportation from the tanks and halftracks later, however. ).

Blade6119's machinegun teams and my command squad will follow directly behind Blade's infantry up the middle. (Makes mental note to clearly distinguish between Blade and Blade6119). I'd like to request that kingfc22's Stugs stay close...those things are damn handy, and I'm sure we'll be calling on them at some point.

I leave individual platoon formations and the like up to my platoon commanders. I'd also like to state right now that if any of my platoon commanders have a recommendation or suggestion to speak up. I'm not (too) arrogant and am always open to suggestions and weighing other options.

And I'll try to be more timely with this thing from now on. Now mount up, boys! Time to kick some Russkie ass!
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 01-20-2004, 04:35 PM   #47
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

That's my boy! I knew we voted him captain for some reason.

DataKing, with your approval I'd like to pull at least one and possibly two of the Pz-IIIhs over to support the pioneers' advance. Any of your rousted infantry can be transported by the assault guns.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:45 PM   #48
Calis
College Starter

Yay! Our Commander arrives. Glad someone is here that can tell me how to do things.

Sounds like a plan to me. My only concern is after securing that first point, my boys are stuck with a rather large open area to advance through. Unless we plan on having my boys move to South to the 2nd group of trees after we secure our area. Not sure what you have in mind.

Seems like a sound plan though.

As for placement when we get there, I'd like to have 2 squads in the group front group of trees I'm assigned to, pointing towards our objective. I'd like the 3rd squad to be place in the rear grouping of trees facing NW? towards the larger objectives, to see if we can't sneak a peak at their forces there. Mortar team and myself will also be cowering in the back half of the trees.

Heh, I like this..I might not be the worst Combat Mission player in the world by the time this dynasty is over..should be a good primer.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:56 PM   #49
DataKing
Pro Rookie

We voted?!?!

So long as there's enough armor and halftracks to transport and support the infantry, then I'm all for it. And we can't leave those brave (read: more heavily armed than my guys) pioneers hanging out in the breeze, now can we?

Calis: We're all going to have some open ground to cover after the first objectives, but I have a sneaking suspicion that we may encounter our first real resistance at the edge of those trees. I'd very much like to keep some advancing/scouting Russians out in the open, rather than getting caught ourselves.

And as far as crossing that open ground goes...what do you think the armor, halftracks, mortars, and machineguns are for? Why, to make the job of us infantry a Sunday walk in the park...what else?
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 01-20-2004, 04:59 PM   #50
Calis
College Starter

Good enough for me.

Heh, I managed to complete abstract the tanks into nothing more than buses for us, realized after I posted..hey, those guys can help us out.

Good point though, don't want to start the fight getting shot at while exposed on the tanks.

Damn't, now I want to play Combat Mission..you're going to end up putting a damper in my Dominions 2 time Cougar!