Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2004, 05:06 PM   #51
samifan24
Pro Starter

Ok, chief, I'm all set to go for those evergreens on the far right. Will I have any support behind me? Should I just poke my nose in there and see what's up or do you want me to hold the position while we advance?

samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:30 PM   #52
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
Ok, chief, I'm all set to go for those evergreens on the far right. Will I have any support behind me? Should I just poke my nose in there and see what's up or do you want me to hold the position while we advance?

Hop on my tanks, or if you have your own transport, I'm heading that way too as long as my plan was okay with DK.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:48 PM   #53
kingfc22
Head Coach

I'll keep my assault guns close to the tucker's halftracks and Dk's truck in a support role just in case that they get heavy resistance from the Ruskies. Don't want our infantry getting smacked before they can set their feet on the ground.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:17 PM   #54
RainRaven
High School JV

I am throughly enjoying watching the planning unfold since I have Combat Mission just have't picked up the two after the orginal yet since so many good games always seem to be coming out Advance forward and may you kick some Russain ass!
Old 01-21-2004, 02:43 AM   #55
pskov
Mascot

I am willing to take my PzIII's to support the pioneers advance (take them for a ride?). As long as we have the ability to concentrate our amrour at one point of the enemie defences later on I think splitting them for now is acceptable.
pskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 06:28 AM   #56
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Thanks, RainRaven. Please feel free to comment throughout the battle.

Okay, I've shifted pskov's two Pz-IIIhs to the north, to support the pioneers (that sound of long exhaling was Travis ). I think it's wise to have a bit more armored punch over there, but pskov you'll need to be wary of those wide open firing lanes and lack of hills.

I've added a new north set-up map. Note the rocky terrain (bad for movement) and the tree reference points.

Also, a reminder for everyone: there are three types of "woods" in the game. Pine woods (very good cover, vehicles cannot enter); woods (good cover, vehicles cannot enter), and scattered trees (moderate cover, vehicles CAN enter but move slow).

Last edited by WSUCougar : 01-21-2004 at 01:59 PM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:01 PM   #57
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Dola

Okay, the new northern setup map is up (thanks, Tasan).

Waiting on input from tucker342 and DeToxRox. I'd also like some details from pskov on where you want to go, what speed, etc.

We should be ready to roll soon.

Last edited by WSUCougar : 01-21-2004 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:14 PM   #58
pskov
Mascot

The direction I am thinking of going is first at a reasonable speed toward N-1, then toward N-2, trying to maxximise the use of the trees to cover the advance. I would like to advance at speed, but not with a gung ho attitude, if you know what I mean.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:29 PM   #59
DataKing
Pro Rookie

samifan24: Yes, the idea was to ride armor up there, so support should be readily available. Also, we don't have enough direct support troops to have anyone following you up, but kingfc's Stugs and Blade6119's HMGs are just a phone call away.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:39 AM   #60
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Interesting beginning.

First off, we have advanced to our initial locations and haven’t spotted any Russians. There was a bit of a traffic jam that slowed down the half-tracks up north (which was my fault for bunching them too closely in the set-up), but given the terrain it won’t be an issue getting them aligned quickly and how the pioneers would like them. The next jump of movement will be significant, I think, so be clear about your intentions.

North:

From pskov’s tank:

Two of sachmo71’s armored cars have good hull-down viewpoints on the small hills near the road and haven’t seen anything. It might be worthwhile keeping watch from these two spots for another minute.

Center:

Views from armored cars:

Then there’s the south. The good news: most elements advanced to their targeted terrain features and are ready for the next advance. The bad news: the Russians dropped a pre-plotted artillery barrage on our jump-off spot in the wheat field. Poor Blade had two of his three squads get clobbered (they are in command range of DataKing, who may want to stick around to get them settled down before moving up).

A nasty surprise!

We suffered no other casualties or damage, however, which is fortunate – it was a heavy batch o’ hurt.

It’s likely that the Soviets recognized the attractiveness of this area as a jump-off point and nailed it for that reason, but it’s also possible that they have a hidden artillery spotter somewhere who can see us.

South:

Some views from the lead elements:

Please give me your movement instructions. Remember the different types of movement, and that vehicles cannot go through woods. Ask any questions!

Last edited by WSUCougar : 01-22-2004 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:45 AM   #61
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

dola

Are some of these screenshots too dark to see?
Old 01-22-2004, 09:58 AM   #62
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Lead scout car will crest the hill and enter those woods at a the base of the hill, or next to them if we can't move in. 2 & 4 will hold and watch. The scout on the road will advance cautiously to the next terrain feature.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:38 AM   #63
Blade6119
Coordinator

i cant really do much as long as im riding with dataking, so wherever he goes im going with...i trust his judgement...though making a kamikaze run prob. not the best idea...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:55 AM   #64
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Pioneers

RealDeal

Since you are hunkering for a showdown, you get point. I'd like you to make a run for the treeline of N-2 or if you are really bold N-3, but I'll leave that to you.
I don't want us obstructing the pskov or travis's armor. I would leave to your discretion speed, but the quicker the better as we may be able to pinpoint enemy positions for the rest of the team.

Thoughts, suggestions, rebuttals?

GoldenEagle

Since RealDeal is taking point I'd like you and I to be his support. I want my track to hold where they are for now. The rocks next to treeline N-2 will force us left as well, but I want to be sure none of us are running into anything big

Thoughts, suggestions, rebuttals?

Also I want to take into account pskov and Travis' movement so we don't jam up any further.

Sound Good? Plausible?
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:57 AM   #65
pskov
Mascot

I would like to take the panzers down the left of the wheatfield ahead of us in order to keep on the higher ground with a view of moving towards the very large concentration of trees past the field. Moving at a cautious speed.

Quik, GoldenEagle, RealDeal: Do you want my panzers directly with you or just loosley near you in order to provide support if necessary?

Last edited by pskov : 01-22-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:16 PM   #66
Blade
College Prospect

Ouch!

Sir, we are under attack! Need to regroup squads 1 and 3!

I think that sqaud 2 should continue to head for the trees up ahead, before disembarking. As for the other squads, they need to regroup and find cover!

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 02:32 PM   #67
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I would like to go up the tree grove directly east of my location, but am unsure whether or not I want to be north edge of them, or if I want to run down the corridor that goes SE. Any suggestions?
Old 01-22-2004, 02:47 PM   #68
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Afoci
I would like to go up the tree grove directly east of my location, but am unsure whether or not I want to be north edge of them, or if I want to run down the corridor that goes SE. Any suggestions?
I'd recommend the southeastern route. It's less open, the Pz-IVds have blazed the trail, and you've got precious cargo to deliver before you get too frisky.

But it's up to you...
Old 01-22-2004, 02:52 PM   #69
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Head SE then.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:30 PM   #70
RealDeal
High School Varsity

I'm going for N-3. Don't go in a diagonal. Go straight to the left and then up to get there. When I'm done I want to be facing due South to provide some cross fire for the tanks.
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 03:42 PM   #71
kingfc22
Head Coach

I would like to go due East ending up sitting in right behind the 2nd tree line from my location.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:51 PM   #72
Calis
College Starter

Looks like I've got a ways to go still before hitting my destination, so I'll probably just be riding it out this turn.

If there is time, I'd do as planned..just have my boys dismount and set up in that group of trees.

Just as an aside, the pics aren't too dark..but the text you added in is about impossible to read when it's over the fields. No biggie, but I might've ruined my eyesight by trying to figure out which of my squad's was where. Might just be my monitor though, so don't sweat it.

We'll also have to reconsider what to do with Blade's boys, looks like they're stuck in the middle of a rather nasty place, and their ride wasted no time hauling butt out of there.

Do we want to just set up shop at our appointed positions and wait for them to catch up? Or do we press on with that weakness in the Center and use Blade's boys as a reserve to place wherever it's needed?

Heh, I'm just trying to come up with questions to ask..not sure how much we wanted to rush this Southern assault.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 04:15 PM   #73
DataKing
Pro Rookie

My mistake guys. I didn't consider the possibility of a pre-plotted bombardment. Hopefully Blade's boys are just shaken up, and not actually too bloodied.

Platoon commanders, continue towards your assigned objectives. I'll take the trucks over towards Blade's troops and try to rally them. Then we'll load them into the trucks and catch up with the middle group (and this time, let's circle around that wheat field rather than go right through it. If the Russkies realize they've done some damage, they may keep hammering that area).
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 01-22-2004, 04:21 PM   #74
Blade6119
Coordinator

hey data...do you have room for blade's troops if im already riding with you?
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:47 PM   #75
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing
Hopefully Blade's boys are just shaken up, and not actually too bloodied.

Unfortunately, they got hit hard. Blade's two squads (1st & 3rd) took 5 and 9 casualties respectively. That leaves the 1st at half strength (although it does retain its two LMGs) and the 3rd with one very freaked out rifleman.

They are currently in DataKing's command range. I would not advise taking a truck into that wheatfield, either, since shells were still falling. And blade6119's point is valid - the HMGs are 6-man teams, plus the two-man section leader (blade6119) team and DataKing's HQ squad.

It sucks, I know. In terms of game immersion, however...wow. Nothing like sitting with the ground level camera view and having it shake as the shells explode everywhere. Brutal.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:50 PM   #76
Blade
College Prospect

Alright, it sucks, but it looks like my guys are on their own...if they can be rallied, I think they should move on towards the middle...

First battle, and already my troops are dying left, right, and center!!!

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 06:48 PM   #77
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I will wait and let Real Deal get a feel for the Russians as qwikshot suggested. We will bail him out if neccesary.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:03 PM   #78
tucker342
Pro Starter

unless someone has a better idea, move me to the next set of trees directly ahead of my location(north?)
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:14 PM   #79
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker342
unless someone has a better idea, move me to the next set of trees directly ahead of my location(north?)
tucker342, you and samifan24 might want to discuss details - you are carrying his infantry, and your halftracks are a bit spread out. I believe that stand of pines in front of you is samifan's initial objective. Not sure if he wants to dismount there.

North is left on the "South" map, by the way. East is toward the top.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:36 PM   #80
Tasan
College Starter

okay, straight in front of my pziv's there is a field, and to the left of it a tree line and to the right a tree line, and to the very right a nice long open section. Can I make a dash across to the trees to the right of the field, and have my gunners watch down that open section? is that something that can be done, or should I check down there, then go across?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:09 PM   #81
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan
okay, straight in front of my pziv's there is a field, and to the left of it a tree line and to the right a tree line, and to the very right a nice long open section. Can I make a dash across to the trees to the right of the field, and have my gunners watch down that open section? is that something that can be done, or should I check down there, then go across?
Well, at present, your lead tank and certainly SirFozzie's two tanks have a good look down that open corridor, and see nothing. That's not to say nothing is there for certain, but you've got several sets of eyes already probing it.

What about your passengers?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:14 PM   #82
Blade6119
Coordinator

ive gotten the feeling that many of us infantry boys riding along on vehicles are getting forgotten about quite easily...
Demotivation
Old 01-22-2004, 11:09 PM   #83
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Well, at present, your lead tank and certainly SirFozzie's two tanks have a good look down that open corridor, and see nothing. That's not to say nothing is there for certain, but you've got several sets of eyes already probing it.

What about your passengers?

oi

I forgot about my passengers, guess I shouldn't put the peddal down ;- )

get a good creep across the gap to the trees, that might be a good offload point anyway.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:40 AM   #84
kingfc22
Head Coach

Alright boys. I'm going to be off snowboarding and will not return until Sunday night. I will leave my assault guns in the trusty hands of DK's until my return. Good luck and let's make those Ruskies pay for their sneak attack.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:09 AM   #85
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan
oi

I forgot about my passengers, guess I shouldn't put the peddal down ;- )

get a good creep across the gap to the trees, that might be a good offload point anyway.

Works for me.

Remember, infantry. You hold em by the nose, and we'll kick em in the ass!
Old 01-23-2004, 06:07 AM   #86
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Works for me.
Remember, SirFozzie, that your passengers (Blade's boys) had to bail during the artillery barrage. You are thus able to maneuver free and clear.

Also, note that the tanks have several smoke rounds apiece which can be used to help screen the advance.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:11 AM   #87
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

ah ok. Time to pop some of the smoke stuff. Who needs hangers on
Old 01-23-2004, 09:27 AM   #88
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
ah ok. Time to pop some of the smoke stuff. Who needs hangers on
Hey SirFozzie, can you clarify what you want your tanks to do, exactly? They are an integral part of the southern advance and I want to be clear about your intentions. Please be as specific as you can.

Edit: By the way, the smoke can be targeted anywhere with line-of-sight (they are rounds for the main gun).

Last edited by WSUCougar : 01-23-2004 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:13 AM   #89
DataKing
Pro Rookie

OK. Since shells are still falling in the area, I'll stick around for another minute and see if we can rally what's left of those two squads, but as far as transportation goes, they're on their own for now. After a minute, whether or not they've recovered their wits, Blade6119's machineguns and my command squad are moving forward. We can't afford that much of a delay, and I don't relish the thought of sitting still in open terrain like this.

After that minute is up, the trucks will put the pedal to the floor and get us caught up with Blade's remaining guys in the center. Once we get into those woods, Blade6119, I'd like your machineguns to set up at the edges. You should have a pretty good field of fire from their, and can provide covering fire for the entire company.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 01-23-2004, 01:59 PM   #90
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

WSU.. I'm going to place the smoke rounds along our line of advance where it opens up, to where the Russians could conceivably see us, and advance behind it.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:25 PM   #91
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
WSU.. I'm going to place the smoke rounds along our line of advance where it opens up, to where the Russians could conceivably see us, and advance behind it.

I think I want to pop smoke down that corridor to my left as well, no need to catch an anti tank round in the side, plus I'm sure the infantry would be greatful.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:24 PM   #92
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I'm processing turn 2, so orders are closed.

Update:

At von Kleist's HQ, "Radio message from the front, sir. Elements of the 11th Panzer Division are advancing despite a heavy artillery bombardment. They have just made contact and been engaged by what appears to be light Russian armor."

Last edited by WSUCougar : 01-23-2004 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:33 PM   #93
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Turn 2 Results & Turn 3 Orders

Turn 2 Results:

As we advance across the map, the armored cars spot our first adversary and come under fire. Smoke rounds are fired to cover some open lanes in the south, while the infantry dismounts and occupies their first objectives. A few in-action shots:

Blade’s boys still catching hell from Soviet artillery. Note the flying debris.

A look from the point of the upper south section. In the foreground is a Pz-IIIh with one of Calis’ squads still mounted and one running alongside. Those are Stug-IIIbs in the right background and Pz-IVds on the left.

Both Pz-IVds (SirFozzie up front, Tasan behind) have just fired smoke rounds. Samifan24’s infantry has dismounted from tucker’s halftracks in the background.

Turn 3 Orders Phase:

General game note: Once orders are given, they can carry over to the next turn(s); this is frequently true of any firing and long movement orders. You can countermand any order, but there will be a short lag time (dependent on command) for any new orders. I will try to indicate what your men and vehicles are currently doing so you can make decisions accordingly.

North:

Pskov: Both Pz-IIIhs are in the midst of moving up the left side of that field to the east. Be advised that those are scattered trees immediately to their front, which means you have a great field of view through them, but so do any Russians that may be watching. Also, you might want to get on the radio with sachmo’s armored cars.

RealDeal: Your halftracks are moving north prior to cutting east and heading toward the trees at N-3. It takes halftracks some time to rotate direction, which is why they are not as far along as you might’ve hoped.

Qwikshot/Golden Eagle: Your halftracks are all stopped, awaiting orders.

Travis: Both of your tank-hunters are stopped in good positions with decent fields of fire, but they’ll have to move up to cover much of value.

sachmo71: You’ve got the ball, Chief! What appears (unconfirmed) to be a T-26 (a thin-skinned, obsolete light tank with a 45mm gun) fired at your command car and has been spotted, hull-down, on the low ridge between the two major objective flags. Your command vehicle sees him (though hindered by the scattered trees right in front of you), but you have virtually no chance of a hit. You’re also in the midst of moving into those trees, and were targeted (thus spotted). AC #3 is hull-down on the road with a decent shot (41%). ACs #2 & #4 cannot see the Russian.

The command vehicle.

Got the drop from the road!

The upper southern section:

Calis: Your 2nd and 3rd squads are deployed in the woods of their initial objective, but are currently out of command; the other two squads (HQ & 1st) are riding forward on the Stug-IIIbs.

The view from Calis’ 3rd squad, peering out of the woods.

DeToxRox: Pz-IIIh #5 is in place among the trees, next to Calis’ two advanced squads. Panzer #6 is positioned in scattered trees.

kingfc22: Your two Stug-IIIbs are advancing at speed toward Calis’ objective trees.

The lower southern section:

The Afoci & MrBug708: All four halftracks are in the midst of advancing toward the next group of trees, as ordered.

Blade: Your HQ & 2nd squads are deployed at their objective. 1st & 3rd are reduced to one man each and are routed.

SirFozzie: Smoke was fired as ordered. Pz-IVd #12 is the forward-most unit in this section; panzer #11 is back farther behind the trees.

The view from the point Pz-IVd:

Tasan: Smoke was fired as ordered. Both of your tanks are in support positions in the middle of the deployment area.

samifan24: Your 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Squads are deployed in their wooded objective. HQ & mortar is approaching in their halftrack.

Looking out from the woods:

tucker342: All but one of your halftracks have dropped off the infantry and are free to maneuver.

DataKing & blade6119: The truck drivers must’ve been nervous about the continuing barrage, because they moved the trucks ahead without orders to do so. The two bloodied squads are pretty worthless now, anyway.

Last edited by WSUCougar : 01-23-2004 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:39 PM   #94
Blade6119
Coordinator

well...i guess i still have to do whatever dataking wants, but im saying we continue with our previous plan of movement to a position where i can be unloaded to give some cover for the rest of the team...but im sure data will have a much more detailed plan...
Demotivation
Old 01-24-2004, 09:41 AM   #95
Travis
Pro Rookie

If I need to move up, then keep on keeping on until I can get to a good firing position, then let 'em have it.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:09 AM   #96
Calis
College Starter

Great job with the pics Cougar, this is REALLY making me want to fire up Combat Mission again.

I think I'll just be sticking around waiting for the remainder of my troops to unload and get into position.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 11:39 AM   #97
Tasan
College Starter

I'm going to continue on my previous course, try to get these hangers on some cover....
Old 01-24-2004, 11:50 AM   #98
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Keep on trucking!
Old 01-24-2004, 07:13 PM   #99
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Damn Russian Arty!

Looks like the truck drivers have got the right idea. Sorry Blade, but your boys are borsht. I'll tell the truck drivers to get us caught up with Blade ASAP.

Blade: Sit tight, we're coming.

Calis, samifan24: Continue to secure your objectives. I leave the fine points up to you guys.

Blade6119: As soon as we get caught up with Blade, set up those MGs in the best possible firing position. We'll need you for spot-on covering fire when it comes time to move forward. Lean more towards the right side, since the Stugs should be able to support Calis' troops on the left.

Onward!
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 01-24-2004, 08:01 PM   #100
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Coug,

Command vehicle will radio contact info to all units, and then back down off of the hill, putting the terrain between it and the Russian. Car 3 on the road will fire two shots, and then head full speed toward that house to put it between us and the Russians. If we have somke, I'll pop it after we get our shots off. 2 & 4 will hold position for now.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote