Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-18-2004, 09:14 AM   #451
Lokugh
Mascot

GB,

Just a thought I had...have you considered building PSI facilities in Africa and SAMCOM? That way while the new folks are sitting around waiting, they could also get their PSI training done.

Lokugh
Lokugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:15 AM   #452
Blade
College Prospect

Wow! I get another mission just like that??? I think I may be pressing my luck!

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:28 PM   #453
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Skyranger Transmission

This just in from our EU COM Skyranger...

Skyranger Pilot: Hellooo? Mister X-COM? This is Dory. Um, Commander Bingo told me to call you. He—

X-COM Command: It’s Kodos, Dory. Kodos. Not Bingo.

Skyranger Pilot: Huh? Yes, anyway. Commander Elmo asked me to call you and tell you that—(loud bang) Aaaaah! What was that noise? Someone’s shooting at us! Aargh! Oh my God!

X-COM Command: Calm down there, Dory. Tell us what’s going on. Relax.

Skyranger Pilot: Hello? Can I help you?

X-COM Command: Dory?

Skyranger Pilot: Yes? What do you want?

X-COM Command: Dory, you called us. Tell us what’s happening outside. What did Kodos tell you?

Skyranger Pilot: Oh, I called you? What did Frodo tell me? Oh, I see. Um, what did he tell me? Aha! I remember now. It was about aliens. Yes! That’s right! Aliens! (pause) Does that make sense?

X-COM Command: What about the aliens, Dory?

Skyranger Pilot: (loud boom) Aaargh! There it goes again! That noise! What is that? Heyyyy, look at that. Why is there a man sleeping in the back of the Skyranger? Ew, what’s that red stuff? Oh my! Is he bleeding? Yes, I think he is. There’s someone bleeding all over the back of the Skyranger floor!

X-COM Command: Dory! Tell us what Kodos told you!

Skyranger Pilot: Kodos? You mean Chico, the Commander? (Huge boom) Wow! Look at the fireworks! Pretty! I like fireworks. (pause) Whoa! What was that? Suddenly I felt dizzy and then I wanted to speak Sectoid! Did you know I can speak Sectoid? Maybe I should go out and tell them to stop fighting us. I could say “Weeemuck doooooooo chaaa gofooooo baaaaaa dugga dugga!” Can you speak Sectoid?

X-COM Command: Dory! Listen to me! Tell me what Kodos told you!

Skyranger Pilot: Yes. Ok. I remember! Hey, I remember! He said, “P. Sherman. 42 Wallaby Way. Sydney.” That’s what he said. I remembered! Heyyyy, was that a leg I saw flying by the window? Whoa! Look, it is a leg! What’s that doing there by itself? Looks like someone forgot something, that’s for sure. Better head right out and pick that up. Don’t want to be leaving those things lying around where someone could trip over them. I could use a leg. Get rid of these fins. Heyyy, if I look out the window, I can see another guy lying down. Shouldn’t he be working? Heyyyy you! (tapping on window) Mister soldier! Time to get up! Do these guys get enough slee—

(Transmission terminated by X-COM Command)

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 02-18-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:30 PM   #454
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Right. Is it the end of the month yet?
Old 02-18-2004, 01:31 PM   #455
revrew
Team Chaplain

hehe. Very nice. Dory. I like it. Sounds like a skyranger pilot. But one question. Is our pilot a lesbian, too?
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:33 PM   #456
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The conversation reminded me of Douglas Adams.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:34 PM   #457
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I feel for the poor saps with Dory, but damn that was funny!
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:36 PM   #458
Kodos
Resident Alien

Classic SkyRanger pilot! No mention of tentacles, so I should be okay!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:45 PM   #459
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
Skyranger Transmission

This just in from our EU COM Skyranger...

Skyranger Pilot: Hellooo? Mister X-COM? This is Dory. Um, Commander Bingo told me to call you. He—

X-COM Command: It’s Kodos, Dory. Kodos. Not Bingo.

Skyranger Pilot: Huh? Yes, anyway. Commander Elmo asked me to call you and tell you that—(loud bang) Aaaaah! What was that noise? Someone’s shooting at us! Aargh! Oh my God!

X-COM Command: Calm down there, Dory. Tell us what’s going on. Relax.

Skyranger Pilot: Hello? Can I help you?

X-COM Command: Dory?

Skyranger Pilot: Yes? What do you want?

X-COM Command: Dory, you called us. Tell us what’s happening outside. What did Kodos tell you?

Skyranger Pilot: Oh, I called you? What did Frodo tell me? Oh, I see. Um, what did he tell me? Aha! I remember now. It was about aliens. Yes! That’s right! Aliens! (pause) Does that make sense?

X-COM Command: What about the aliens, Dory?

Skyranger Pilot: (loud boom) Aaargh! There it goes again! That noise! What is that? Heyyyy, look at that. Why is there a man sleeping in the back of the Skyranger? Ew, what’s that red stuff? Oh my! Is he bleeding? Yes, I think he is. There’s someone bleeding all over the back of the Skyranger floor!

X-COM Command: Dory! Tell us what Kodos told you!

Skyranger Pilot: Kodos? You mean Chico, the Commander? (Huge boom) Wow! Look at the fireworks! Pretty! I like fireworks. (pause) Whoa! What was that? Suddenly I felt dizzy and then I wanted to speak Sectoid! Did you know I can speak Sectoid? Maybe I should go out and tell them to stop fighting us. I could say “Weeemuck doooooooo chaaa gofooooo baaaaaa dugga dugga!” Can you speak Sectoid?

X-COM Command: Dory! Listen to me! Tell me what Kodos told you!

Skyranger Pilot: Yes. Ok. I remember! Hey, I remember! He said, “P. Sherman. 42 Wallaby Way. Sydney.” That’s what he said. I remembered! Heyyyy, was that a leg I saw flying by the window? Whoa! Look, it is a leg! What’s that doing there by itself? Looks like someone forgot something, that’s for sure. Better head right out and pick that up. Don’t want to be leaving those things lying around where someone could trip over them. I could use a leg. Get rid of these fins. Heyyy, if I look out the window, I can see another guy lying down. Shouldn’t he be working? Heyyyy you! (tapping on window) Mister soldier! Time to get up! Do these guys get enough slee—

(Transmission terminated by X-COM Command)

Finding Nemo, classic...where's Marlin?
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 02:48 PM   #460
jfbbis
n00b

2 large UFO ? hmmmm.....
jfbbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 03:10 PM   #461
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Just keep shooting! Shooting, shooting shooting! Just keep shooting!
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 03:15 PM   #462
Blade6119
Coordinator

hey godzilla...can we see who are on the other two skyrangers? And did i heal before you launched?(Prays that he did since its only a downed UFO and not a large one)...please?
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 03:56 PM   #463
Blade
College Prospect

Oh no...please let me not die!!!

Old 02-18-2004, 04:10 PM   #464
kingfc22
Head Coach

So close to November...
Old 02-18-2004, 04:14 PM   #465
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That was great, GB!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 04:49 PM   #466
tucker342
Pro Starter

lol

This could be an interesting mission...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:04 PM   #467
Swaggs
Coordinator

I hate that damned Sectoid!
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:05 PM   #468
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I will live!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:50 PM   #469
PsychoCop
Mascot

Smell the carnage. I think PsychoCop II will finally be moving up from SAMCOM... unfortunately it will be at the price of the lives of other X-COM members.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:09 PM   #470
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think that XCOM will remain casualty free until the last mission the way GB is playing these days...
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:11 PM   #471
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
I think that XCOM will remain casualty free until the last mission the way GB is playing these days...

Well, you just jynxed it. Someone's gonna die soon. *hides in lab*

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:14 PM   #472
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I hate that damned Sectoid!

You sectist pig!
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:33 PM   #473
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoCop
... unfortunately it will be at the price of the lives of other X-COM members.

It's an unfair price that some must pay, but Kingfc22 will be there to back them up with a plasma shot to the head.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:17 PM   #474
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

PsychoCop: You already have been called. You're on your way to an active base right now.

Sterling: Thanks!

Blade: I'm trying to keep you alive. A bit tricky out there this time, though.

Blade6119: Don't have the game handy right now, but I know that you're on the USA COM Skyranger. I remember waiting until midnight, until you were cleared for duty. You're back in action.

Wolfpack: LOL! A new motto for the men of EU COM!

ardent: Funny you should mention Douglas Adams. Our new ASIA COM Skyranger pilot mentioned that he had been in a book of his.

Lokugh: I've been building the other two bases with defense in mind, so that means I only add a module or two at a time. The PSI modules take about 20 days to build, I think, so I might try to get some built for the start of December. The only thing is, if we need troops from AFRICA or SAM in December, I've got to move them out, thereby cancelling the PSI training. If we don't need them, then we'll have plenty of good men for Mars. I might build them just in case though. Who knows how long this thing will last if we lose a base between now and then.

Tasan: No problem. Sorry, I had to launch. It was your turn to go, and I figured you wouldn't want to stay out of combat because of something Sectoid Leader says.

Mission 86 is looking good for tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:22 PM   #475
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Ford Prefect?
Old 02-18-2004, 09:34 PM   #476
Tasan
College Starter

Marvin the Paranoid Android I'm afraid.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:51 PM   #477
AStott
Mascot

hee hee! Nice radio transmission there!
AStott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 11:12 AM   #478
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Death Threat

Quote:
We will kill you in your first three missions.

A PM from the Sectoid Leader.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:24 AM   #479
JeeberD
General Manager

They're going to kill you in all of your first three missions? I didn't realize that you were related to Lazarus.

Looks like the Sectoid Leader needs to take some english lessons...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 02-19-2004 at 11:24 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 01:49 PM   #480
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

"Blood is the price of victory"—Karl von Clausewitz

86th Mission: Madness in Germany

The EU COM Skyranger makes the short jump to Germany. Once over German airspace it circles and waits for the dawn. Just as the sky begins to brighten, the green light comes on and the craft begins to head down to combat. Another day, another big fight for the proud men of EU COM.

Commander Kodos will take the troops in.

Our men:

Left Side:
1. Jfbbis (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
2. Kodos (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
3. Japherwaki II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
4. Tasan (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
5. Coffee Warlord II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)

Right Side:
1. Blade III (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
2. Breeze (Blaster Launcher, Power Suit)
3. The Time (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
4. Naiwf (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
5. Sachmo III (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)

The Skyranger drops down through the grey dawn to the battle field below. We’ve got a typical rural landscape today: fields, fences—you know the drill. We can see the massive UFO off to the right of where we’ll exit, but up by the nose of the Skyranger. We can also see two two-story buildings off from the exit of the Skyranger. One lies about 25 yards away to the right rear; the other lies straight out from our exit, about 50 yards away. The areas to the left of our exit and towards the nose of the Skyranger appear to be simply flat fields.

The Skyranger touches down. The ramp falls away and lands with a dull thud that shatters the still morning air. Red lights and alarms! Hot landing! Our tank picks up a Cyberdisc in the field in front of us, about 30 yards away, and a Sectoid on the roof of the house to our right rear, about 30 yards away!

We roll our tank halfway down the ramp. We spot another Sectoid, about 50 yards away, in a second floor window of the house straight back from our exit! Blade III rushes to the top of the exit and opens fire on the Cyberdisc. Plasma slams into the thing, but it stays up! Breeze, with the Blaster Launcher, breaks left inside the Skyranger. Jfbbis breaks right to clear him a firing lane. Breeze plots a course for the Sectoid in the house straight back from us and pulls the trigger. The missile screams out of the Skyranger bay and heads straight into the second story window of the house, where it explodes, blowing apart the second story and killing the Sectoid instantly. Jfbbis then rushes around Breeze to the edge of the ramp, drops to a knee, and opens fire on the Sectoid on the roof of the house off to our right. Plasma streaks toward the Sectoid as it lines up a shot on our Skyranger bay. After some rare misses, Jfbbis finally connects, hitting the Sectoid in the head. It screams, claws at its melting face, and falls to the roof of the house. X-COM 2, Aliens 0.

Kodos and Japherwaki II rush to positions behind Blade and Jfbbis, but they can’t get a shot off at the Cyberdisc. Our tank slams back into action, and heads for the bottom of the ramp, but before it gets there, multiple plasma blasts come flying at it from the nose of the Skyranger! The tank takes two quick hits and explodes, sending shrapnel and flames in all directions.

The Cyberdisc in the field opens fire on our Skyranger bay. Plasma comes streaming at Blade III and Jfbbis, but slams harmlessly into the smoldering tank body. Then another Sectoid, about 25 yards away, in front of the house off to our right! It drops to a knee and opens fire. Plasma comes screaming at our Skyranger and flies into the bay. Blade catches a blast in the left arm that pushes through his armor and rips the arm off at the socket. Blood explodes out of the shoulder joint, splattering Jfbbis and the interior of the Skyranger. Blade III drops his Heavy Plasma, topples over screaming, and frantically claws for his lost arm. Jfbbis twist his aim at the Sectoid, but it has ducked behind a low stone wall just in front of the house. Jfbbis quickly shifts aim to the Cyberdisc and opens fire. Plasma slams into the disc’s hull. One shot penetrates the armor and the thing explodes, taking a chunk of the field up with it. X-COM 3, Aliens 0.

Kodos pulls the injured Blade III farther back into the Skyranger bay. Japherwaki II rushes the exit and steps out. Incoming missile from our right! Kablaam! The missile hits Japh in the right side and explodes with a loud bang. Stun gas! The force of the hit throws Japh sideways off the ramp. Japh lands to the left of our craft in a heap. His can’t see straight, but twists his head to look toward the nose of the Skyranger, expecting to come face to face with the alien that knocked out our tank, but there is nothing here? Huh? He struggles to his knees and turns to look over the ramp at the area the right of our exit. There are two Sectoids. One——the one who hit Blade—is looking over the stone wall in front of the house; the other is lying in a field about 20 yards away, and must be the one that fired the missile. Japh cuts back under the Skyranger and stumbles to the right landing gear, where he tries to gather his addled brain.

Sectoids wait for X-COM troops. October, 2003. X-COM Archives Photo

Back in the Skyranger, Kodos lets go of Blade, then sprints to the exit ramp, drops to a knee, and opens fire on the Sectoid in front of the house. His first shot catches the Sectoid in the head, popping it like an eggshell. Green goo comes squirting up from the neck. The alien falls backwards, dead. Tasan and The Time charge out of the Skyranger exit, dive right, and come up firing at the Sectoid that has the stun blaster. Tasan’s shots, from less than 15 yards away, are some of the worst I have ever seen, as most of them rip up the ground less than halfway to the Sectoid. Maybe the “death call” that Sectoid Leader made has shaken his aim? The Time, however, is right on the money. The Sectoid cringes as plasma chews up the earth around it. An instant later, a plasma blast from The Time hits it in the shoulder, blowing a chunk of the creature’s torso off and killing the alien instantly. Kodos jumps left, off the Skyranger ramp, and takes cover behind the left landing gear. X-COM 5, Aliens 0.

Incoming fire, from up by the nose of the Skyranger! A plasma blast screams under the Skyranger, punches through Japh’s right shoulder armor, and sends a curtain of red onto the landing gear and underside of the ramp. Japh slumps to the ground, blood gushing out of his tattered shoulder. Kodos and Tasan spin towards the front of the Skyranger just in time to see a Cyberdisc slide out of sight around the backside of the UFO. Damn it! They’re everywhere!

Kodos yells for Breeze to open fire on the backside of the UFO. Breeze slams a shell into the Blaster Launcher, plots a quick firing course, and pulls the trigger. The missile roars out the Skyranger bay, curls back over the Skyranger, and whizzes around the backside of the UFO. It slams into the back wall of the craft and sends a massive fireball kicking back into the nearby field. A fraction of a second later we hear a second explosion: Breeze got the Cyberdisc! Boo yah! X-COM 6, Aliens 0.

Back in the Skyranger Coffee Warlord drags Blade to the rear of the Skyranger bay and slaps a Medi-Patch over the gaping hole in his shoulder socket. Blade has passed out from the shock, but he’s still alive.

Back outside, Japh—stunned and bleeding profusely—stumbles to his knees and starts crawling around to the Skyranger ramp. Jfbbis, still at the top of the ramp, scurries down, grabs him, and pulls him up the ramp. Once there, Coffee comes forward and slaps a Medi-Patch on his right shoulder. Japh stays conscious, but he is most likely done for the day: his right arm is next to useless.

While this goes on, Tasan and The Time move forward to a low stone wall about five yards off to the right of our exit. Once there, they set up firing positions. Kodos keeps an eye on the back corner of the UFO. Naiwf and Sachmo III exit the Skyranger. Naiwf heads straight into the field in front of our exit and scans the distance for signs of alien movement. Sachmo III takes up a position at the right landing gear.

Incoming fire! From the house off to our right! Plasma blasts come streaking towards Tasan. One shot slams into the side of his helmet and snaps his head to the side. His vision blurs, then blurs again as a second shot hits him in the same place, but Tasan stays up! Outside of blood trickling from his nose and ears, he’s ok! Whew! The Time and Tasan turn towards the source of the fire, just in time to see two Sectoids scurry back into the interior of the house. This side of the house has large chunks missing from its outer wall from some of the earlier errant shots, but even so, the two men lose sight of the aliens in the dark interior. Sachmo III crawls to the stone wall, and spots one of the Sectoids deep in the house. He opens fire as Tasan and the The Time quickly prep and toss grenades for the interior of the house. Sachmo’s shots miss the alien, but the two grenades explode with crashing booms that tear chunks out of the right side of the house. A Sectoids scream drifts out of the house! We got at least one of them! X-COM 7, Aliens 0.

X-COM troops locked in a firefight with Sectoids dug in a German farm house. October, 2003. X-COM Archives Photo

But just as quickly, Tasan picks up more movement in the smoky interior of the house. There’s still at least one live Sectoid in there! Tasan trains his Heavy Plasma on the motion and pulls the trigger. Plasma tears into the dark interior of the house and slams into the moving figure. It screams and drops to the ground! Yes, Tasan got a kill! Tasan lowers his Heavy Plasma…and catches movement out of the corner of his eye, off to the left side of the UFO…

Cyberdisc, 40 yards away, advancing on our position! There is a tall hedge near the disc that blocks Sachmo and The Time’s view, so Tasan is on his own. He jerks his Heavy Plasma up and opens fire as Sachmo tosses a grenade into the path of the Cyberdisc’s advance. Both Tasan and the Cyberdisc open fire at the same time. Tasan drills the Cyberdisc with two hits, but these things are tough, and it just keeps coming. Before Tasan can get hit it again, the Cyberdisc finds the range and nails Tasan in the stomach with a shot that blows clear through his armor and comes out his back. Tasan looks down at the massive hole in his torso, looks left at Sachmo, and then topples over the stone wall, dead. Sachmo’s grenade goes off with a roar, but still the thing keeps coming at us! Coffee Warlord charges out of the Skyranger, breaks right, and scurries to take Tasan’s place along the wall. He opens fire on full auto as the charging Cyberdisc. He connects with two quick hits, and the Cyberdisc erupts in a ball of flame! X-COM 9, Aliens 1.

While this goes on, Kodos makes his way to the front of the Skyranger, where he keeps a wary eye on the back corner of the UFO. We can hear whirring doors, and can expect something around that corner at any moment. Breeze exits the Skyranger, breaks left, and sets up a firing position with the Blaster Launcher in an open field on that side of the craft. Naiwf keeps an eye on the terrain in front of our exit. Back inside the Skyranger, Japh walks back to check on Blade. Once there, he notices the Medi-Patch has slipped off Blade’s shoulder! There is blood streaming onto the floor of the Skyranger bay. Japh picks up the patch and tries to reapply it. He gets it in place, then checks Blade’s pulse: nothing. Crap. Blade is dead! X-COM 9, Aliens 2.

Back outside…Another alien! The Time spots a Sectoid moving behind and to right of the house off to our right, but before The Time can get a shot off, the alien slips out of view behind the house. Breeze plots a quick firing course and opens fire with the Blaster Launcher. His missile soars over the house and then straight down. It twists and hits the back wall, where it goes off with a crashing roar. The back side of the house goes up in flames, and we hear the death wail of the Sectoid as it burns. X-COM 10, Aliens 2.

A German battlefield. October, 2003. X-COM Archives Photo

We’ve got to get away from the Skyranger. We’re sitting ducks here. Sachmo III breaks away from the wall, cuts behind Coffee Warlord, and heads towards the nearby side of the UFO. He makes it ten yards from the wall when a plasma blast comes tearing in from his left—from the left side of the UFO as we face it—and hits him in the left knee. The shot blows the front half of his knee off in a splash of red. Sachmo crumples to the ground and screams. Blood is gushing out of the stump of his thigh; his lower left leg is held on by an inch wide sliver of flesh just above the knee. Coffee Warlord and Kodos turn toward the source of the fire…

Another Cyberdisc, bearing down on our position, about 40 yards away! Kodos opens fire on the thing. Coffee rips out his Medi-Patch and scrambles for Sachmo, who is clearly only seconds away from death unless someone can get to him. Incoming plasma blasts rip up the earth around Coffee and Sachmo. Kodos drills the oncoming Cyberdisc with hot plasma but it keeps on coming and keeps on firing. Coffee makes it to Sachmo, pulls out his combat knife, slices the piece of skin off that was holding Sachmo’s lower leg on, and slaps Medi-Patches on the top of the severed stump and the bottom of Sachmo’s thigh. Coffee then throws severed leg back towards the Skyranger ramp and starts to drag Sachmo back behind the stone wall. A plasma blast from the Cyberdisc hits Coffee in the thigh, sending bolts of pain up his spine, but still he keeps tugging on Sachmo. The Cyberdisc is 20 yards away, spitting death and closing fast, when Kodos catches the thing in a plate joint with a plasma blast that penetrates the thick armor and blows the disc up in a flash of orange and yellow flame. Pieces of metal clatter down on Sachmo and Coffee as Coffee drags Sachmo the last few yards to relative safety behind the wall. Sachmo is glassy-eyed but alive. Coffee is ok. Our mission, however, is a friggin’ mess. X-COM 11, Aliens 2.

Fortunately, we get a lull in the action and take stock of the situation. We’re down to six men—seven if we can get Japherwaki back into action. We can’t cover all directions effectively with this few men. If were going to succeed in the mission, we’ll need to take some risks. Time to go on the offensive. We’ll move forward instead of sitting here and letting the aliens pick us off one by one. We’ll form two groups of three—two men moving forward with one behind them keeping an eye out for aliens coming up from behind. Naiwf, Jfbbis, and The Time will form one group (Squad 1) and head alongside the long, left side of the rectangular UFO. They’ll loop around and come at the exits from the far side. This UFO has a two-story central section with small one-story exit stations tacked on to both ends, which means that our men should be able to gain entrance through the far end if they can swing around the far side. Kodos, Coffee, and Japh—who is fit enough for action now—will form the second group (Squad 2). They will swing around the near end of the UFO and try to get in from this end. They have a much shorter distance to travel.

Things stay quiet as Squad 2 forms up under the Skyranger and Squad 1 forms up at the remains of the battered stone wall. We then move out. Japh leads the way for Squad 1. Before he gets 5 yards from the Skyranger nose, a blast of plasma tears right for him and slams into an intervening fence post, blowing it apart. Cyberdisc, 20 yards away, coming around the corner of the UFO! Damn. Kodos yells at Breeze, who opens fire as Squad 1 hits the dirt. Breeze’s missile sails over the Skyranger and slams into the Cyberdisc, blowing the thing to pieces and scattering debris over a 30-yard radius. Relieved, the men get up, shake of Cyberdisc debris, and continue their advance. Within a couple of minutes they swing around the near corner and set up a firing position on the first UFO exit, which has a huge hole blown in it from one of Breeze’s earlier missile shots. X-COM 12, Aliens 2.

X-COM troops prepare to assault a Sectoid UFO. October, 2003. X-COM Archives Photo

The Time and Naiwf lead Squad 2’s way, with Jfbbis covering the rear about 15 yards back. They make it to the far side without incident and get ready to swing around on the exit. Suddenly, A Sectoid and a Cyberdisc come around the corner in front of them, only 5 yards away! Both sides appear to have surprised each other, but the Sectoid gets the first shot off. A plasma blast flashes across the gap and drills Naiwf in the faceplate, snapping his head back, shattering the faceplate, and driving hot pieces of glass back into Naiwf’s face. One large shard knifes into Naiwf’s left eye, slices it in half, and embeds itself two inches deep into his head. A fraction of a second later, The Time disembowels the Sectoid with a plasma shot, then twists to fire at the Cyberdisc.

A fierce pain tears through Naiwf’s skull, but he shakes his head…and stays up! Both agents open fire on the Cyberdisc, whose first shot sails just over The Time’s head. Stunned by the force of the blow and down to one working eye, Naiwf’s shots go wide, but The Time slams a shot into the Cyberdisc’s armor, sending an explosion of sparks shooting from the underside of the craft. The Cyberdisc pivots and starts to retreat around the corner, but The Time keeps pummeling it with plasma. Just before it goes out of sight, The Time nips it with one more shot, and the Cyberdisc explodes. Less than 10 yards away, both men are blown backwards by the force of the explosions. They land hard on their backs and grind to a stop. They regain their focus, quickly scramble to their feet, and watch the corner for more signs of aliens. After a moment, Naiwf reaches up with his hands, grabs hold of the piece of glass sticking out of his eye, and pulls. Two inches of Crappy glass come out of the socket, and blood streams down Naiwf’s face and into his armor. A wave of black nausea washes over him, but he stays on his feet and bites through the pain. The Time opens a Medi-Kit, pulls out a patch, and rips it into quarters. He drops three of the pieces, and then carefully sticks the remaining one over Naiwf’s shattered socket. The whole procedure takes less than a minute. Naiwf gives a quick thumbs up as the pain killers stream into his head. The two men continue their advance. Boo yah! X-COM 14, Aliens 2.

Naiwf and The Time make it around the corner of the UFO, and now we’ve got both squads set up outside the UFO doors. We’ll all go in at the same time, on three. Japh will lead one assault; Naiwf will lead the other. Everyone takes a deep breath…one…two…three.

Japh and Naiwf charge their respective entrances. Japh’s entrance area is empty of aliens, but as Naiwf opens his door, he sees a Sectoid, about 5 yards inside the entrance room. Both combatants reach for their weapons at the same time, but Naiwf is a fraction faster. A stream of plasma blows the Sectoid backwards in a smoking heap, killing it instantly. X-COM 15, Aliens 2.

An X-COM agent comes face to face with a Sectoid. October, 2003. X-COM Archives Photo

And that’s it! The last alien! My God, what a mission. They really had us there for a while.

As the assault teams return to the Skyranger, Breeze hurries to Sachmo to check his status. He reaches down to feel for a pulse: none. Sachmo is dead. Crap. No wait! There is a pulse! Sachmo is alive! Kodos is the next to the spot, and he and Breeze carefully carry Sachmo back to the bloody bay of the Skyranger. It’ll be close, but he might survive the ride back.

Within minutes, the men have loaded Tasan’s body, picked up Sachmo’s leg, and gotten the craft airborne. Fortunately, the ride back is a short one, which gives Sachmo a better chance of living. We’ll come back later to cannibalize the UFO.

As they head back, they get word from X-COM Command. The ASIA COM Skyranger is heading in for the second UFO. The beat goes on. Let’s hope Sachmo’s heart does too.

Kills: Jfbbis, 1; Kodos, 1; Breeze, 5; The Time, 3; Naiwf, 1; Coffee Warlord II, 1; Tasan, 1.
KIA: Blade III; Tasan.
Wounded: Sachmo (critical); Japherwaki II (16 days); Naiwf (6 days).
Attribute Improvements: Jfbbis, Kodos, Breeze, The Time, Naiwf, Coffee Warlord II, Sachmo III,
Final score: 425. Good score.
Mission Notes:
Damn it. Two deaths. One agent critically wounded. Two more men wounded. Damn it, damn it, damn it. Too expensive. Too friggin' expensive. I can’t friggin’ believe it. 50% casualties. Aaargh.

Note to self: I think I could have saved Blade III if I cycled men across the front of the Skyranger bay instead of having the first two there expend all their APs shooting. I might have taken out the Cyberdisc and been able to leave someone there with enough time to react to the Sectoid that opened fire from the right. I don’t know how I could have prevented the other casualties, as we had so little cover and were getting shot to shit from all directions. Tough mission. Such a shame to lose two, maybe three, good men.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 02-19-2004 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:09 PM   #481
JeeberD
General Manager

Sectoid Leader is psychic!!!!!!!!!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 02:38 PM   #482
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Dang it.

Rest in peace, fellas.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:27 PM   #483
jfbbis
n00b

I can't believe that I survived this one. I don't know why, I would have bet everything that it was my last one. My condolences to Blade III and Tasan families. They will be avenged.
jfbbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:56 PM   #484
Blade
College Prospect

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Well, all three Blades will be cheering you guys on from Heaven...

Old 02-19-2004, 04:03 PM   #485
NAIWF
College Prospect

What a brutal mission. I lost an eye, two people ended up dead and two others were injured. At least I've got a 6 day vacation while they fix me up with the latest in optical technology. Looking like RoboCop might be pretty cool
NAIWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:13 PM   #486
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Do I get to keep Sachmo's leg as a new alien fighting weapon?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:14 PM   #487
AStott
Mascot

Wow! Brutal mission... My attack on the scout ship will be awfully dull by comparison...
AStott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:18 PM   #488
kingfc22
Head Coach

Damn cyberdiscs and Tasan, what a way to go out. Having the sectoid leader call you out and finish the job. Scary.

On the bright side, I'm just that closer to getting a chance to prove my worth to the X-Com commanders.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:45 PM   #489
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Jeeber D: Damn that Sectoid Leader. Psychic or not, he will pay. We're coming to his house soon. We'll get him.

Blade: Sorry about your death. I think if it happened again, I might have been able to save you. I'm not sure though. They had about ten aliens set up to waste us as we got off, and they were all spread out. The aliens on the UFO had quick access to us as well. I think I could play that mission a dozen times and I'd still lose at least a couple of men. I'm actually kind of thankful we didn't lose more. Our streak of "no-casualty" missions was bound to end sometime.

Jfbbis: Yeah. It was pretty wild for a while there. We were all huddled up around the Skyranger, taking heavy fire. Everytime we moved, something shot us. Japh is one really lucky bastard, though. Knocked off the ramp on the way out, shot in the shoulder later, and survives a charge into the UFO.

Ardent: You're communicating with Sectoid Leader? Careful. They can get in your mind before you know it. Have you been humming Barry Manilow lately? Don't worry about his threat, though. I'll protect you. Oh, wait. That didn't work so well with Tasan. Maybe I should shut up. Um, good luck?

Naiwf: Tasan and Blade have got some eyes they don't need. You've got your pick. Not sure if they'll match your color, but hey, nothing's perfect.

Coffee: Crappy and his men are trying to save Sachmo III's life as I write this. If he survives, your quick work will probably allow them to reattach his leg. They can use Tasan or Blade's knee if they can't find enough of his original one. All is good.

AStott: Dull is good. I like dull.

Kingfc: The phones'll be ringing shortly!

Coming up...
Friday: Sachmo III's fate. Lead in to Mission 87.
Saturday: Skyranger Report
Sunday: Mission 87

Still aiming for a Sunday/Thursday mission posting from now on.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:56 PM   #490
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Rock on.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:57 PM   #491
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Ring Ring Ring

We need eight men for guard duty! We'll call ten. The first eight to reply are in the game. We've got a bit of time before the first of the month, but I'd like to get you all set so we don't have to hold up the game once we hit early November. After a couple of days, if we don't have eight reply, we'll call Fantastic Froggies, Blade IV, and Tasan II.

Calling: Joker Ace (2nd Call), Ardent Enthusiast, Peregrine, Raven Hawk II, Northwood DK, Shorty II, Lokugh II, BYU II, Kingfc, and Barkeep.

Regarding the move up from active duty, we still needed one more person, so I moved up Vince from guard duty to active duty even though he didn't reply yet. This dynasty is his idea, and so he's getting a free pass into action.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:58 PM   #492
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm freaking there, dude. No need to call me.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:00 PM   #493
kingfc22
Head Coach

I proudly answer the call of the great X-Com general GB. I will stand guard waiting for any sectoids.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:04 PM   #494
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz

Ardent: You're communicating with Sectoid Leader? Careful. They can get in your mind before you know it. Have you been humming Barry Manilow lately? Don't worry about his threat, though. I'll protect you. Oh, wait. That didn't work so well with Tasan. Maybe I should shut up. Um, good luck?

I'm married. Aliens don't get more mind controlling than women. My mind is mush as is.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:58 PM   #495
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Dang it.

Rest in peace, fellas.

Nice try, ae! But we know how you really feel!

That was a hellish mission. Sad to see 2 good men die, and others get serious wounds. But we must fight on. This is a war that we cannot lose, no matter who dies.

And Sectoid Leader: We will be coming for you soon.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:19 PM   #496
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
Nice try, ae! But we know how you really feel!

What, hold your tongue, infidel!

I'm being consoling!
Old 02-19-2004, 06:21 PM   #497
Kodos
Resident Alien

You're a cat who has already revealed his stripes, my friend.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:23 PM   #498
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
You're a cat who has already revealed his stripes, my friend.

I am no cat. I have no stripes. I am no alien.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:25 PM   #499
Kodos
Resident Alien

We'll see about that when you're spouting Sectoid right before your head gets blown off, son!
Old 02-19-2004, 06:48 PM   #500
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Reporting for duty, sir!