Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-18-2004, 01:13 PM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Arrow The Prytian Quest (RPG)

This is one of two threads devoted to a narrative role-playing adventure. The character framework utilizes AD&D 3.0 but the “system” is free form. It is set in a fantasy world of my own creation, called Crella. This thread tracks an adventuring party from the kingdom of Prytia. The other thread, which is entitled The Cranstonian Expedition, deals with a rival group from neighboring Cranstone.

Feel free to comment throughout the thread, but please do not threadjack. The idea is to continue the thread as a narrative role-playing adventure. Also, if you wish to participate as a secondary character, there is a waiting list so just drop me a PM.

All out-of-character (OC) posts should be made in the regular font and color. Questions, comments, etc. All in-character posts (IC) should be made in sienna, the color which I will initiate below.

Posting in character should be done in third person past tense, using the name of your character or appropriate personal pronouns. A very simple example: “Sol moved into the cavern” should be used instead of “I move into the cavern.” When your character speaks, set it apart with quote marks. Try to be tidy with grammar and spelling so things are clear to the other players. You can assume and therefore interact with typical surroundings (i.e., if you’re in a tavern, you can order an ale without prompting), but do not “power game” events or surroundings that have substantial impact on the characters and plot. That’s my role. It may take awhile to get the hang of this narrative style of RPG, and I may step in to correct you or ask you to edit portions of your post, but it’ll flow well soon enough.

Primary players, as we begin take the opportunity to describe your character and his thoughts going in. Be descriptive, and interact with one another.

The primary characters in this thread include:

A Zanthan/Corpidaran dwarf (sachmo71)
A Prytian bard (MikeVic)
A Prytian paladin (Breeze)
A Prytian/Kashan wizard, Baldar (SplitPersonality1)
A Cross-Kir monk, Puli (mordheim)
A wemic ranger (daedelus)

Last edited by WSUCougar : 06-18-2004 at 03:04 PM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 01:14 PM   #2
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

It seemed from all accounts as if the nobleman was usually quite agitated, but he had stormed from the room and called for one of his captains immediately upon the receipt of some ill news. Now the five who had joined on this curious quest stood alone in the room, a cozy side chamber in Lord Pelspin’s border village dwelling. A fire still crackled upon the hearth of a sizable fireplace, but the hour was late, and shadows dominated the corners of the room.

Prior to his exit, Lord Pelspin had just been saying that the party would soon meet up with their 6th member, a wemic, somewhere close outside the village. That left the three Prytians, the foreigner dwarf, and the aged monk alone to their own devices for the moment. It was a peculiar gathering, and the silence was awkward.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:00 PM   #3
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

"Perhaps we should follow the captain and see if we cannot learn more information about the wemic we are to meet?"

Soriun moves to the door from which the captain exited, but waits for the rest of the party before leaving.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 06-18-2004 at 02:01 PM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 02:18 PM   #4
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

The door promptly creaked open, and an elderly servant dressed in the gold-patterned livery of the Pelspin noble house peeked his balding head in through the crack.

"Your pardon, gentlemen. Lord Pelspin asked me to beg your patience, and to indicate that you are to remain here for the moment. I will have food and drink brought in shortly."

Not waiting for a reply, the servant withdrew his head and pulled the heavy wood door closed.

Last edited by WSUCougar : 06-18-2004 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:18 PM   #5
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
This thread tracks an adventuring party from the realm of Cranstone. The other thread, which is entitled The Cranstonian Expedition, deals with a rival group from neighboring Cranstone.

Geography lessons around there must be interesting . . .

Nitpicks aside, I'll be reading with interest.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 02:19 PM   #6
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
Geography lessons around there must be interesting . . .

Nitpicks aside, I'll be reading with interest.
Heh. Perils of copying an intro paragraph. Thanks for the catch.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:26 PM   #7
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

"Well that settles that, eh?" The dwarf smiled as he moved over to a comfortable chair near the fire and sat down heavily. "I could use a bit of drink." He looked over at the silent group of strangers. "Since we'll be traveling together for a while, I suppose introductions are in order? I am Soriun Keystone, war priest of Clangadin Silverbeard! Don't let that bother you, though. I'm sure he will be good enough to spare a little grace for all of you while we travel together!" At this, the dwarf let out a deep, hearty laugh.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 06-18-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:56 PM   #8
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

The wizard looked over at the dwarf with obvious disdain and scowled. "I am Baldar. A wizard." It was painfully obvious to all of those present, that this wizard was not the smiling type.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 04:13 PM   #9
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

The dwarf nods to Baldar, still smiling. "What god do you follow, wizard?" the dwarf asks.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:16 PM   #10
mordhiem
Mascot

"You may all call me..... Puli"

The elderly male, clearly a monk of somekind by his clothing, stood in the corner of the room, carefully observing the others. Obviously not terribley chatty.
mordhiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 07:30 PM   #11
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

The dwarf laughed his booming laugh again. "Lively bunch we've got here! I just hope you fight better than you make conversation, or I'm going to be asking Clangadin for a lot of healing power!"
Old 06-19-2004, 08:32 PM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

"So... you guys are my newest found friends? Pleased to meet the lot of ya," said the Prytian bard. "I've seen many different people throughout my short life, travelled many paths, and experienced many things. I know quite a few things, and I don't know some," continued the bard, who looked around the room wide-eyed, hands out, and slouched over.

"One thing I do know is it's a smart idea to get acquainted with new friends. I thank Mr. Keystone over there for getting the ball rolling, and I wish for Baldar and Puli to express more information." The bard glanced over at the wizard and the monk as he said this, and then looked at the various items around the room.

"Now, you must be thinking: 'Who is this teller of tales standing before us?' Today is your lucky day, for I will reveal three things about myself..." The bard slightly stuck his hand out and raised his index finger.

"Number one: my name." The bard raised his middle finger. "Number two: a small piece on information about my past." The bard rasied his third finger. "And number three: what I would like to eat before we meet with our sixth friend." The bard smiled at the other heroes in the room, and continued to talk.

"They call me Mavirr. Not pronounced Mah-Vur, nor May-Veer, but instead May-Vur. I do not have a last name, nor do I care for one. There is only one Mavirr like myself in these lands, and that's what sets me apart from any other folk that share my name." Mavirr looked around the room, and nodded to every other hero.

"I do not know who my parents are, and I feel like some ale and thick steak once we are done with this Lord fellow here! If you have any questions, I will answer them in due time. Now, how long are we expected to wait here?"

Mavirr sat down on a chair by the fireplace, nodded at Soriun Keystone, and continued to look around at what was in the room.

Last edited by MikeVic : 06-20-2004 at 04:09 PM.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 04:22 AM   #13
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Baldar the wizard slowly turned toward Mavirr's direction and shook his head the way an instructor does when a student speaks out of turn. After a slight pause, he finally spoke.

"I hate to crap all over your happiness speech, sir bard, but I must confess that I choose not to...", he paused seaching for the right word. "divulge any information about myself that I deem unnessesary to the task at hand. I am here in the capacity of a wizard. This means that I will use magic to gather information, to heal and to blow things apart. That is all you need to know at this time. If the situation calls for it, I will speak more. Until that time, leave me in peace."

Baldar then addressed Soriun.

"Dwarf. Earlier you asked me which god I follow. Well, which of your gods is the patron of fine wine? He or she would be the one I follow at the moment for I am thirsty and my cup is empty."

With that, Baldar turned to face the hearth.

Last edited by SplitPersonality1 : 06-20-2004 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:30 PM   #14
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Down the hall and but a few thick doors removed from the members of the quest, hands clenched tightly behind his back, Lord Pelspin paced edgily about the broad reaches of a brightly-lit chamber. A Prytian of some high standing, he was known in noble circles for his wayward ideas, a smoldering temper, and deep ponderings of olden history. All three familiar notions held true to form now.

“Stolen! The damn copy has been filched from this very residence! And we’ve no idea who’s responsible…Rhyllans…Cranstonians…common thieves…I know not.”

Vasheliave shifted in his chair, trying to keep the mud on his riding boots from spreading any further to the luxurious wine-colored carpet which graced most of the floor. A trusted captain and jack-of-all-trades long in the service of House Pelspin, he had been summoned from the principal estate deeper in central Prytia to this border residence in the middle of the night. He was tired and sore, but he knew from his liege-lord’s mood that he’d get little rest until an investigation was begun.

“I will start an inquiry immediately, my lord,” Vasheliave said tentatively. This was not the only concern, of course. The adventurers housed elsewhere in the building were another, perhaps greater one, and he knew this was a potentially-touchy subject to broach. He hesitated before finally asking, “A delicate point, my lord, but…can we trust the company that’s assembled for the quest?”

Lord Pelspin halted in his paces, placed his hands on his hips, and exhaled deeply. This was not the angry outburst of emotion Vasheliave had feared, and he, too, exhaled a bit to himself in relief.

“I’ve no choice, Vash,” the nobleman said quietly, using a familiar name for his captain-of-arms. “The old Kir monk brought the whole matter to me, so I’ve no reason to doubt him, and the Prytians I’ve no real qualms with; Mavirr, the bard, has a local reputation of sorts, Baldar is a wizard but seems true to his native blood, and the paladin was hand-picked for this task. The dwarf, however, is a foreigner and a definite unknown…his origins might well be shady. And then there’s the Wemic. Whatever you wish to say about Wemics, I can’t see them conspiring with the enemies of Prytia in such a manner. And he has yet to even make contact with the quest…”

Vasheliave stood to address his lord directly. “I take it, then, you’ve committed to do this thing? To undertake the quest?”

“Aye,” said Pelspin, with the tired suggestion of a smile. “They must leave forthwith, however. I had hoped for more preparation, more time, but this…this debacle forces my hand. They will depart in the morning and make contact with the Wemic. See that they are prepared. I will speak to them first. They are probably getting restless as we speak.”

Last edited by WSUCougar : 06-20-2004 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:48 PM   #15
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

The adventurers' room was quite small, forcing a bit of rather undesirable closeness to a gathering of strangers. The bard, Mavirr, took in the various details with a sweeping glance. The room was plain, but the features were fine enough to indicate the wealth of their owner. A large wooden table dominated the center of the room, and it as well as the half-dozen chairs around it were ornately carved. Other than the aforementioned cups, a pitcher of water, and a plain wooden candle-holder, the table was clear.

Two sconces flanked the one doorway, and smoke from their oily flames added a stuffiness to the air that was not helped by the fire in the hearth. Mavirr noted the carved mantle, which depicted a burbeast head...burbeast herds were the source of much wealth in this region of Prytia. The walls of the room were polished wood, but bare. The room was apparently nothing more than a holding pen.

A servant, much younger than the last, opened the door and shuffled in, placing a glass carafe and a wooden platter upon the table. Slices of meat, white cheese, and a few meager pieces of fruit were on the platter; the carafe held a dark liquid of some kind.

"Burbeast tenderloins...and the wine is eastern, from Merryay," said the servant. He looked bored. "Lord Pelspin will return forthwith."

With that said, he was out the door and gone.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:23 PM   #16
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

"Wine from Merryay", thought Baldar. "Our host has exquisite taste."

Baldar stood up and walked over to the food-laden table. He poured himself a glass of the full-bodied wine and breathed in the sweet aroma. This was very good wine. After carefully choosing two pieces of the famous tenderloins, one piece of cheese and one piece of fruit, Baldar returned to his seat next to the fire.

"Is anyone else going to eat?", said Baldar. "Lord Pelspin's servants have left and the food doesn't appear as if it will serve itself." He looked around the room at the rest of the adventurers and settled his gaze upon the paladin.

"Eat something sir paladin, I'm sure that your muscular frame requires quite a bit of fuel."

As Baldar sat back in his seat to wait for the paladin's reply, he attempted to cast a detect magic spell to see if there were any objects of interest to a mage within the room.

Last edited by SplitPersonality1 : 06-20-2004 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:02 PM   #17
MikeVic
Head Coach

After Baldar finished talking, Mavirr jumped out of his chair and headed over to the plate of food.

"Now this is what I was waiting for! Not as juicy-looking as a fine, thick steak, but these Burbeasts sure know how to keep their meat." Mavirr licked his lips and picked up a handful of the slices of meat. He ate them quickly, and picked up an apple. After Mavirr polished it, he put it in one of his pockets.

"I sure hope you friends don't mind me taking some food along for the road. I don't like beginning an adventure with empty pockets," said Mavirr as he grinned at his fellow adventurers. He then poured himself a very small amount of the wine and walked back to his chair. Before he sat down, Mavirr turned to his new friends and said:

"It's too bad no one here has a recorder for me to play. It would help pass the time by while we wait for this Lord to come back. Oh, what wonderous songs I can play on that fine instrument!" Mavirr sat down in his chair, but did not take a sip of the wine. Instead, he closed his eyes and nodded his head as if he was playing a song for himself.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:53 AM   #18
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

The Paladin, who had been silently observing the people present, forming initial impressions and determining areas of concern, finally decided to speak up:

“Gentlemen, sorry for not having introduced myself earlier, I was a little preoccupied. The name is Benton Gale. You may recognize the last name because my father is a high ranking Cleric in the city, and my brother is also a Cleric rapidly rising in the religious order.”

“I am here because my presence was requested. Lord Pepsin’s station in the city has allowed him to interact with my father on numerous occasions. While I wouldn’t call them friends, they have some common interests, especially with regards to the Prytian religious symbols and restoring our lost history. I’m not as religious as my father or brother, but I am very interested in reclaiming our lost glory. When Lord Pepsin asked my brother and me to join his quest, I offered my services immediately."

“Now if you don’t mind, would someone pass that meat this way.”

Last edited by Breeze : 06-21-2004 at 08:51 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:19 AM   #19
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Soriun took a seat at the table. Before helping himself to the bounty laid out before him, he reached under his shirt and removed his holy symbol of Clangadin; a sliver dwarven war axe on a simple braided rope. Clasping it tightly, he prayed to his god, "Clangadin, Defeater of Darkness, Gatherer of the Dwarven Clans, please smile on the feast set before your humble servant. I pledge to use the strength that this food and drink will give me to carry out your will, even in these foreign lands."

The dwarf immediately reached for the wine, and laughed.
"While I prefer a nice dwarven mead, wine will do!"
He filled his goblet and took a healthy pull from it.
He turned to the paladin.
"It's nice to see a holy warrior amongst our troop, but I do not recognize the symbol of your god. What god do you follow, paladin?"

Last edited by sachmo71 : 06-21-2004 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:45 AM   #20
mordhiem
Mascot

Puli decided not to sit and remained standing, but edged closer towards the others from the corner he had been in. He took a few pieces of fruit and chomped them in a methodical, gradual manner, then sipped some of the wine but clearly found it not to his liking and placed it back on the table. Puli broke his silence to enter one of his customary lectures:

"Hmph, wine and mead... and all this meat and cheese slavishly prepared. It is totally unnecesary. Water, fruit and a few token vegtables is more than enough for anyone."

After he had satisfied his hunger, if not his thirst, Puli again sloped back to his isolated position and continued to listen to the conversation whilst observing the members. Nothing worthy of comment had passed yet and he would, as always, remain silent until such an event did.

Last edited by mordhiem : 06-21-2004 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:15 AM   #21
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

The dwarf turned to look into the corner into which the monk had faded. "More for us then!" he shouted, and grabbed another slab of meat.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 06-21-2004 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:38 AM   #22
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Benton laughs at the Dwarf's comment to the monk, then turns to the Dwarf and says, "I respectfully follow Elyash, the ancient Javadan god of prosperity. He is the central figure in Prytian religion and the teachings of the order have been pounded in my head from my early years. My father had hoped that My two brother's and I would follow his lead and become powerful Clerics, but I decided to take a different path."

Turning to Puli, "Please, honorable Monk, take no offense at my laughter. It was more from the comment itself rather than at your expense."
Old 06-21-2004, 11:06 AM   #23
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Once more the heavy wooden door creaked open, but instead of another reticent servant, in walked the lord of the house. A few steps behind him walked a rather dirty-looking individual, obviously a military man by his bearing and the inherently wary look of his eyes.

Lord Pelspin was a sizable man, barrel-chested with a ring of graying hair encircling his otherwise bald head. He strode into the room with the confidence of a nobleman on his own ground; the inset lace and finery of his tunic sparkled in the flickering light from the fireplace. His gaze was sharp as he scowled about the small room, taking stock of the men at hand. He nodded a gruff greeting to Benton Gale, the paladin.

“As you may have ascertained, we’ve had some trouble. It seems a scroll map – a copy of the original which is still held in the possession of Puli there – has been stolen from these very premises. Frankly, I cannot understand how anyone would have known of this in such a short time, unless someone has tracked Puli here for that very purpose. But what’s done is done. By necessity, the timetable of this quest must be altered. You will leave in the morning.”

The lord paused for a moment, looking into the faces of the five men as if seeking an answer to an unasked question. He noted that wizard Baldar seemed to be concentrating on something else.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:16 AM   #24
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Soriun took one last pull from his wineglass, then stood up. "In that case, gentlemen, I suggest we retire for the night. We'll need to be off early in the morning."

He turned to Benton. "We should talk more of this in the morning, sir. Elyash is indeed a powerful god. How many holy regiments follow your diety?" he asked as he walked toward the door.

"Where should we bed down, my lord?" he asked Lord Pelspin. "Have our belongings already found their way there?"
Old 06-21-2004, 11:17 AM   #25
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

"Lord Pepsin, is the Ranger aware of the timetable change, or would you like me to attempt find him?

Last edited by Breeze : 06-21-2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:18 PM   #26
MikeVic
Head Coach

Mavirr listened to everything that transpired in the room while his eyes were closed. Once Benton finished talking, Mavirr got up and put down his wine glass.

"Well then! Now we know what must be done, and I can't wait to go adventuring with you friends. I'm sure there will be story-worthy experiences involving intrigue, theft, and the slaying of monsters."

Mavirr pondered this for a moment, and said the next line to himself more than to the occupants of the room: "If we don't have some great adventures, I can at least tell the story of the religious group of heroes that met in a bald Lord's room and ate some fine burbeast tenderloins..." Mavirr snapped out of his train of thought, and continued to speak to the room.

"I hold the same question as Mr. Keystone, however. Where should we sleep? If we must leave in the morning, I'd like to get to bed as soon as I can!"

Mavirr stood in front of his chair, and looked in the direction of Lord Pelspin.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:03 PM   #27
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

The wizard Baldar let the room fade away as he focused in on any magical energies that were in the room. There. Something of note nearby, but exactly what and where he did not know.

His concentration wavered a bit at the exclamations of the loud bard and the much-too-jolly dwarf. He redoubled his efforts to get a read on the aura that he sensed was present nearby.

Almost......Almost......Hmmmm.....I think it is coming from......

Upon the gaze of Lord Pelpsin, Baldar's focus slipped once again. The wizard scowled as the eyes of the two men met; the spell was lost completely.

"Lord Pelspin", said Baldar, "Will the recovery of this scroll-map be an additional task in our current quest? Also, you seem surprised that its whereabouts were discovered so quickly." Baldar looked directly at the wary military man that accompanied the nobleman. "Do you completly trust everyone in your employ?"

Last edited by SplitPersonality1 : 06-21-2004 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:32 PM   #28
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Given the prompt responses of those in the room, Lord Pelspin grinned in spite of himself.

“My friends, sleeping quarters will be provided shortly, as well as any equipment and supplies you might need. Recovering the copy of the scroll-map is irrelevant. It only bodes ill because it means that others have the same information at hand that Puli has on the original scroll, and which he brought to me and which thereby prompted this quest. Whoever has stolen it in all likelihood will pursue the quest themselves, if they know what they have.”

The nobleman sighed heavily, the sound of a massive bellows releasing air.

“We are seeking artifacts of great power, great import. If found, they must not fall into the hands of the wicked. Puli’s scroll map points to the last known retreat of the Candle Mage of Javada.”

The last words were said with an almost reverent tone, and then the lord fell silent.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:30 PM   #29
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

"Please, my lord, tell us more of these artifacts, and the Candle Mage. As you may have surmised," he chuckled, "I am not from your land, and so am at a disadvantage when it comes to your lore. It might help me a bit to know what I am looking for before I set out to find it!" The dwarf chuckled again.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 06-21-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:35 AM   #30
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

"Yes, give us as much information as you can spare. And if we are now in a race to obtain the Candle Mage then we should consider leaving immediately. I would hate for a powerful historical relic to fall into the evil hands."
Old 06-22-2004, 11:59 AM   #31
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

The dwarf chuckled, with a sound reminiscent of a hyena on helium, or a dying cow.

Errr...sorry.

*shrug*

Last edited by sachmo71 : 06-22-2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:50 PM   #32
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Lord Pelspin walked to the table and picked a small plum up from the platter. He observed it for a moment, and then popped it into his mouth, chewed it deliberately as he composed his thoughts, and then swallowed. He lowered his eyes to meet those of the merry dwarf.

“The Candle Mage was a wizard of great power who flourished in the high period of the ancient Javadan Empire. His was a unique craft, unlike any other recorded use of magic. Dusty old texts in the library of our royal city, Kerryana, describe some of his mighty spells, and bits and pieces of related clues. Obviously, candles had a principal role in his art, and it is surmised that many of these remain, though their location has been an unanswered question for ages, just like the eventual fate of the mage himself.”

“We Prytians are descendants of Javada, though the bloodline has a long and circuitous route. Our nearer ancestors were the people of Britau, who were scattered when their kingdom was consumed in a vast war with Rhylla, which ultimately ended in a magical conflagration. The haunted ruins of Britau are known mainly as Wootmerry throughout the world.”

Lord Pelspin looked around the room as he continued. “The scroll in Puli’s possession suggests that the Candle Mage escaped the internal strife that doomed Javada, and re-emerged in Britau. Seeking out what remains of his legacy, as well as recovering any extant candles, is the purpose of your quest.”

“Someone has stolen a copy of this material, and I am led to believe that they realize its import. I shudder to think what might occur if any such objects of power fell into the wrong hands.”

He looked again to the dwarf. “Prytians value our ancestry…these are more than mere relics to me, and to this realm, and to the royal family. Retrieve them, and learn what else you can, and you will be well rewarded by all of us.”

Last edited by WSUCougar : 06-22-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:20 PM   #33
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Soriun's face grew serious. "My reasons for joining this quest are my own, but it is a quest that I cannot refuse. I will do my part to help the Prytians recover what is rightly theirs, and punish those who would seek to deny you your heritage. I swear by the axe of Clangadin that I will not fail in my task." With that the dwarf pulled his battle axe from it's sheath across his back, knelt down before Lord Pelspin and put his forhead to the blade, muttering a string of prayers to his god. When finished, he reslung his axe, stood up and smiled. "Now, about that bed..."

Last edited by sachmo71 : 06-22-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:58 PM   #34
MikeVic
Head Coach

Mavirr once again sat down in his chair, and looked back and forth at the various people in the room.

"Given my knowings of local history and culture, even I haven't heard of this Candle Mage before. His magic must be important if we're going on a scavenger hunt for it, and thieves are, at this moment, narrowing in on it." He stood up out of his chair and continued talking:

"I have one question, however. Do you think these thieves knew about the scroll and the Candle Mage prior to stealing the copy? Or do you think this was just some coincidence? Maybe a thief was looking for something to steal, and took this scroll as his prey?" Mavirr walked around his chair once, and continued to look back and forth at everyone in the room.

"As much as I would like to go out at this moment and find the Mage's history, magic, and candles... I think it would be best if we slept for at least a few hours before we get started." Mavirr grinned at Lord Pelspin and Soriun Keystone. "So, where are these beds for us to sleep on? My mind, mouth, and matter need some rest."

Mavirr once again grinned, but this time to every single person in the room.

Last edited by MikeVic : 06-22-2004 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:41 PM   #35
mordhiem
Mascot

"I suppose you want to see the scroll then..."

Puli took his rucksack off his shoulders and unbuckled it, removing a small rolled up parchment that had clearly seen better days, not much larger than a tablemat. This he unfurled and placed on the table in front of everyone.

"I acquired it on my travels in a tavern just north of Boltath from a needy fellow in exchange for some bandages and a few slices of bread. Well, not necesarily in exchange, I was going to give the man what he asked for regardless, but imparted the scroll upon me as a parting gift. He said he was a collector of various artefacts and trinkets, but had decided to retire and had no use for this map any longer. I thought little better of it until happening across this quaint village and decided to have it examined by someone who may be able to inform me as to its usefulness. The expert I approached was the very Lord Pelspin before us now. Apparently it has significane for the Prytians, but I am not terribley concerned with that. After all, what is the petty history of a land many miles away from mine?"

As if suddenly realising he had been talking for a significant amount of time, Puli abrubtly halted and waited for others to continue the discussion. He however did not retreat to the corner as before, this time standing near the map. Almost guarding it is from as yet untrusted individuals. He may not openly claim so, but his body language shows that Puli is very much attached to the scroll, for whatever reason.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:10 AM   #36
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

The Candle Mage and his relics. Baldar was very impressed. This was truly a quest of great significance. As a mage and a student of history, he had heard of this great wizard of legend, but had relegated many of the old stories as myth. The knowledge and power that could be gleaned from such ancient artifacts was nearly beyond comprehension. Baldar could not let any of the Candle Mages's secrets fall into the hands of any, other than Prytian wizards

"I, too, pledge my services to you Lord Pelspin and will do everything in my power to make this quest a successful one."

Last edited by SplitPersonality1 : 06-23-2004 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:01 AM   #37
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Benton did not know what item he was tasked with finding until this very moment, but knowing Lord Pepsin, he relized the artifact would be of significant importance even before the explaination came. After hearing the name, and remembering the history taught to him by his father, Benton began to worry over the stolen scroll. This powerful object was now being sought by another group, and to Benton's Paladin way of thinking, obviously an unscrupulous one at that.

Prytian's are known for their love of their ancestors and the ancestors history, and as a Paladin, Benton added the love of returning that glory to his city, and the thought of completing this quest truly inspired the adventurer in him. Benton was pleased to see the others quickly buy in to the importance of this job before them. Having been on enough of these adventures, Benton knew that the groups dedication to the task was paramount for success and in this case where the group would be racing against an unknown adversary it may prove even more vital. Listening to the other's comments and their pledges of dedication, a smile began to form on the big man's face...until Puli stated...

"Apparently it has significane for the Prytians, but I am not terribley concerned with that. After all, what is the petty history of a land many miles away from mine?"

...this quickly wiped the smile away. Benton's passion and heritage, caused his face to redden, teeth to clinch and eyes to narrow into a scathing glare. He stood and said, "I realize that Monks typically only care about making the present a better place for all, but to ignore history is folly. In this case especially. Lord Pepsin has already stated that a war with Rhylla distroyed the Britau where the Candle Mage flourished, and Rhylla would have no quams about using such an item to further expained their area of influence. If it's peace you want, you better hope the Rhyllians or some other historically aggressive race doesn't locate the Candle Mage first and find a way to exploit it's powers for their own gain."

With that Benton sat down. As he cooled off he realized he may have been a little harsh with the old Monk, and in fact, he felt a little embarassed at his outburst. Benton knew the Monk probably cared more about the "petty history of a land many miles away from mine?" than he let on. In fact, Puli probably cared significantly about finding this item if only to preserve the peace...else he wouldn't have approached Lord Pepsin with the map. Benton then resolved to appologize to Puli as soon as he could speak with him in private.

Last edited by Breeze : 06-23-2004 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:42 AM   #38
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Everyone is doing well, but Breeze's post above is an outstanding example of free-form narrative RPG writing. Great job!
Old 06-23-2004, 11:03 AM   #39
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Lord Pelspin nodded with satisfaction at the various gestures of support. He then directed his attention to Mavirr.

"We've never had a problem with thievery that I'm aware of, Mavirr. We will conduct an investigation, of course, but I firmly believe that someone knew what the scroll had upon it, and targeted it for that reason."

The nobleman moved toward the doorway as if to leave, then turned back for a few more brief remarks. "My servants will see to your sleeping quarters. We have two rooms for the five of you to share, but how you wish to split them up is for you to decide."

He looked sideways at the dwarf, and almost chuckled.

"I trust that you have most of what you need already, but if you require anything else - be it equipment, weaponry, or what have you, I will do what I can to acquire it before your departure in the morning. Speak with Vash here about it. I must also see to the sixth member of the quest, who will be an important guide into what was once Britau. Good night, gentlemen."

At this point you should do the following:

> Discuss equipment and supply needs IC (in character) with Vasheliave, OR simply make a list of what you wish to bring on the quest and PM it to me. I will give you ample leeway here, but don't get too out of hand (i.e., no "Holy Hand Grenades of Antioch").

> Discuss sleeping arrangements IC with your fellow adventurers, OR just await the next morning. You'll need to pick which spells to prepare for the morrow (PM me if you need that explained further).
Old 06-23-2004, 11:10 AM   #40
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

"Dwarves snore. Who wants to share a bed?"
Old 06-23-2004, 11:58 AM   #41
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Benton gets up from his seat, glaces over at Puli to see if any annomosity exists following his ridiculing statement, but as is typical of a Monk, there are no signs of emotion either way.

He walks over to Vasheliave and says, "I'll take the same equipment you provided me on our last quest."

Then Benton moves toward Puli's corner, hoping that the other group members would pair off quickly, allowing him to get the apology out of the way, in private, before the journey begins.

Last edited by Breeze : 06-23-2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:58 PM   #42
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Those Cranstonians are kicking our collective arses!
Old 06-24-2004, 05:27 AM   #43
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Benton, realizing his hope that the party would retire quickly, allowing him to apologize to Puli wasn't going to happen, resigned himself to trying again later.

"Good Soriun, I've slept in mud puddles with bugs the size of small birds chewing on my flesh, your snoring will not affect my rest."

"Gentlemen, unless your heart is set on looking at each other for the rest of the night, I suggest you retire for the evening. Trust me, you'll have ample oportunity to look at and talk to each other when we are in the wilderness. Unless I miss my guess - it won't take long before you'll wish to see anything other than the people currently around you. In additon, this will be your last chance for quite a while to sleep in a comfortable bed. The ground where we are headed won't be nearly as accomodating."

With that - Benton, knowing the way to the bedrooms headed for the door.

"Come Dwarf, let us rest while we may."
Old 06-24-2004, 05:32 AM   #44
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Coug,

I have a question regarding skills:

If the skill is one that is intuitive or a something that is done naturally, will we have to state - "I am going to attempt to determine which direction we should go (intuit direction)" or "I am going to use my sensative hearing to see if I can hear anything (listen)"

or

Is it something you'll PM us and say: - "your listening skill has heard something unusual to the right" or "You intuition is telling you to take the right fork"
Old 06-24-2004, 06:27 AM   #45
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze
Coug,

I have a question regarding skills:

If the skill is one that is intuitive or a something that is done naturally, will we have to state - "I am going to attempt to determine which direction we should go (intuit direction)" or "I am going to use my sensative hearing to see if I can hear anything (listen)"

or

Is it something you'll PM us and say: - "your listening skill has heard something unusual to the right" or "You intuition is telling you to take the right fork"
Good question, and the answer is "all of the above." I will do my own checks based upon your skills and potential encounters for the group, but I'll also expect you guys to work this into your posts. An example would be you posting: "At the the top of the hill Breeze paused on the trail for a moment, something he often did as an opportunity to utilize his keen senses of sight and hearing." That'll serve as a trigger for me.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:53 AM   #46
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Baldar smiled a bit at Benton's comments regarding his past outdoor sleeping accomodations. In past adventures, he too, had slept in less than optimal conditions. The smile quickly faded when he realized the choice he had to make regarding sleeping quarters; a snoring dwarf or a chatty bard. Not an easy decision.

"Sir paladin, Dwarf, I will share a room with the two of you." With that said, he followed the Benton and Soriun to the door.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:58 PM   #47
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm still in this, I'm just waiting for a PM answer from Coug...
Old 06-26-2004, 04:40 PM   #48
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Divied up as they were, Baldar, Soriun, and the paladin made their way to their room, leaving Mavirr the bard with Puli, the old Kir monk. All of the men found their accomodations simple but comfortable.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Interact as you wish, or post that your character is asleep. We will then proceed to the following morning.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:40 PM   #49
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Soriun sleeps. Loudly.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:29 AM   #50
MikeVic
Head Coach

Mavirr looked around his sleeping arrangements. "Well, Puli, looks like it's just me and you tonight! I sure hope you aren't loud loud in your sleep. You look like the type that is." He snickered at Puli and then walked over to his bed. After he fluffed one of his pillows, Mavirr sat down on his bed and looked at Puli.

"You must tell me of your adventures one day. A monk like yourself has to have some interesting stories to share! I'll play my recorder and trumpet in exchange for some of your stories, what do ya say?"

Mavirr stared at the monk for a bit, then turned his attention elsewhere. He placed a tome called 'Heroic Adventures in Ancient Britau' on his bed-side table, and slowly took a rapier out from the inside of his right pant leg. Mavirr then put the rapier on the floor beside him, and rolled up his sleeves. He unstrapped a long, sharp-looking blade from each forearm, and placed those on the opposite side of the floor where the rapier was.

"Tell me, Puli, do you believe in using bladed weapons, or do you believe in bludgeoning people with mallets? Or do you believe that weapon use does not hold a place in this world? I've travelled with one other monk before, and he didn't believe in using weapons. He even tried getting us to throw away ours! He wasn't bad with his fists, though." Mavirr grinned at Puli and went back to getting ready for bed.

He fished some lock picks out of his pockets, and placed them in a drawer in his bed-side table.

"I'm all ready to get my rest. We should continue our talk tomorrow morning, on our journey to pick up that ranger. Good night!"

Mavirr laid his head down on his pillow and closed his eyes. He must have been tired, since he fell asleep almost instantaneously.

Last edited by MikeVic : 06-27-2004 at 02:31 AM.