Originally Posted by FrogMan
How do you like the read so far?
Good reading.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 02:23 PM   #102
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Manager Mind Games
I have not played with the Manager Mind Games much, except exchanging very positive comments with Andy King, Swindon's manager, at some point at the beginning of my first season. Since then, he usually makes a comment about me whenever our team play each other. We play them in our next match, and true to history, King makes a comment about me in the press. He basically comments that I'm a good manager and that I deserve every success with the Hatters.

As soon as I saw that comment, I went to see if it had created any reaction from my players, and yep, there they were. Three players (Steve Howard, Chris Coyne, Mark Goodlad) all believe in the wake of King's comment to the media that the team cannot fail to perform under my guidance. Nice

Another player, Richard Johnson, is pleased that I'm getting the praise I deserve. Pretty cool, huh?

On a sidenote, while reading their comments, I see that three of the four players (Coyne, Johnson, Goodlad) think that the club should retain the services of Steve Howard. Hmmm, I'll have to keep this in mind...

I respond to King's comment, basically saying that Swindon can be very proud of their manager.

Loan News
Not too surprising, Peterborough withdraw their loan bid for Joyce.

Playing Time News
270yo forward, James Pinnock is unhappy to have been relegated to the reserve team. I had acquired Pinnock on a Bosman transfer in the offseason, when I was still a rookie with offseason signings, leading me to sign about 7-8 different players. Turned out, some players looked better than others when we started playing games, and Pinnock was left out of the mix. I hesitated between him and Roscoe D'Sane when I needed a 6th forward for the stretch of 4 games in 10 days. I'll move D'Sane back to reserve and will give Pinnock a chance at first team play for a while...

Transfer News
Not unexpectedly, Portsmouth have rejected the 100k part exchange for Rowan Vine. I'll wait before trying somthing else...

Contract news
Steve Howard
is now open to negotiating a new contract. He's asking $6000 per week for the next 2 years, a signing fee of $18k, and a slew of other clauses, namely: $380 per goal, $220 per assist, a minimum release fee of 850k, a promotion wage rise of 10%, and a relegation wage drop of 10%. My assistant says he believes Howard is an essential member of our first team and he recommends an offer of $6000/wk, which is the max our team board will allow me.

Howard is currently earning $6800 per week. This is weird, since the board won't allow me to offer more than 6000. I probably signed him to 5600 last year and he had a percentage wage rise in the contract, pushig him over the limit. Anyway, I pounce on the opportunity and offer the contract as it is.

FM
Old 12-24-2004, 03:01 PM   #103
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

January 21, 2006
home vs Swindon (currently in 5th, only 3 points behind us)
S: Showunmi/Howard/Tarachulski
AMC: Jones
DMC: Johnson/Keane (with up arrows)
D: Davis/James/Coyne/Foley (full backs with up arrows)
GK: Goodlad

Swindon player a 4-3-3 very similar to ours (out arrows on the outside strikers, but with the 3 middies on a line in the middle of the field) in their last match. However, they make a switch to a 4-4-2 with moderate push from the wings as we get to the game. We've had fairly good success against this kind of 4-4-2 lately.

22nd minute: We get a free kick right outside their penalty box. It's Steve Howard versus a 5 man wall. He kicks it over the wall, top corner from 20 yards out! We're up 1-0.

We kept knocking at the door all game long, but we missed many chances.

83rd minute: Another set piece play is the source for our second goal. This time, it's a great corner kick from Marc Bridge-Wilkinson that's aimed straight to the penalty spot. Chris Coyne is there to head it home, it's now 2-0. This late in the game, that goal is the killer. This is the final score.

Final Score: Luton 2, Swindon 0
Shots (on target): Luton 17 (8), Swindon 4 (0)
MoM: Chris Coyne, with a ratings of 8, 1 goal, 26 of 35 passes and winning 6 of 6 headers.
Possession: (us/them)
our zone: 15/11
middle: 20/26
their zone: 15/13

Tony James gets a ratings of 7 and an assist in his first game with us. However, our physio, in his after match evaluation, tells me that James is in need of a rest. Darn it!!! I hope we have not just acquired a lemon...

FM
Old 12-24-2004, 03:11 PM   #104
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Manager Mind Games
Following our win over his team, Andy King praise me as his friend. While I appreciate the comment, I switch the talks to my boys, saying that I'm satisfied with my players' effort in our recent match.

International Callup
Chris Coyne is called up by the Australain manager for their Oceania Nations Cup squad. That's a cup I had never heard about in the past. From a quick look at the fixtures list, seem like they'll play at some point in February.

Transfer News
West Ham appears interested in Steve Howard. We better hurrry getting him signed.

Contract News
Speaking of Howard, he rejects our offer, but is willing to negotiate. When I go try to offer him something else, he's now saying he's not interested in renewing with Luton, but might be tempted if the offer is too good to refuse... Hrm, looks like him and his agents are not talking too often... Anyway, I offer him $6000 per week, but I up the signing fee to $24k and the goal bonus to $440 per goal.

Achievement News
Marc Bridge-Wilkinson
is named on the League One Team of the Week. This is weird as he only played 39 minutes of our Swindon match, subbing for Mark Jones. He got a ratings of 8, but still, it's kind of weird...

FM
PS: I'm done for today, as guests will arrive later on. I'd like to wish a Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays to all of you who read this tale of a frog
Old 12-25-2004, 02:36 PM   #105
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

January 24, 2006
LDV Vans Trophy South Semi Final

away at Watford (currently 8th in League One)
S: Hammond/Blinkhorn/Pinnock
AMC: Mansell
DMC: Robinson/Chambers (Robinson with up arrow)
D: Carbon/Williams/Davies/Foley (full backs with up arrows)
GK: Beckwith

Watford is now playing in League One, although they were in the Championship just last season. We will be playing many subs, as we played on the 21st and have another league game on the 28th. For some reason, given the great run we're having in league play, I don't view this competition as highly as I view league play right now... For that one reason, I give the start to forward James Pinnock and keeper Rob Beckwith.

Watford seem to play a very interesting 3-4-3, we'll see how we match up against it.

40th minute: PENALTY!!! Rob Beckwith gets called as he goes up to clear a ball in front of our goal. Kick comes AND HE SAVES IT!!! It's still 0-0...

46th minute: In injury time, they play a great corner kick to our 6 yard box and they convert it easily, we go down 0-1...

49th minute: They get a free kick right outside our penalty box. The kick gets deflected going through the wall, Beckwith can't do anything. We go down 0-2...

58th minute: Following a great exchange in the middle, they feed the ball to one of their man, on our penalty spot. Beckwith comes out, blocks the first shot but can't get to the rebound, down 0-3. That will be the final score.

Final Score: Luton 0, Watford 3
Shots (on target): Luton 5 (2), Watford 15 (8)
MoM: Watford's Heider Helguson with a ratings of 8 and great stats accross the board.
HoM: Elvis Hammond with a ratings of 7, 27 of 29 passes, and 5 of 9 headers.
our zone: 11/27
middle: 12/23
their zone: 13/10

Simply looking at possession numbers we never were in that game. Losing possession 40/60 is pretty bad, but I don't care much, as long as we keep doing well in league play, I'll be happy...

U18/Loan News
Gillingham now want 16yo Kevin Joyce on a 3 month loan. I counter offer with the same 500k fee that I had asked of Peterborough.

Contract News
Enoch Showunmi is now down for $2400 per week and a signing fee of $12k. I play hard ball and offer him $2000 per week and a $8k signing fee.

U18/Loan News
As Gillingham withdraw their loan bid for Joyce, Barnet is now asking to have the youngster in loan for a period of 3 months. I ask the same thing of them, 500k fee, or no loan...

Contract News
Steve Howard
rejects our latest offer and still says he is not interested of renewing but would listen if the offer is too good to refuse... I can't up the weekly wage, so I add 4k to the signing fee and I offer him that.

Also, I learn that the Show must go on, as Enoch Showunmi signs a new deal with the club, deal that will keep him with us until June 30, 2009.

FM
Old 12-26-2004, 02:09 PM   #106
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

January 28, 2006
away at Rushden & Diamonds (currently in 17th with 31pts, we have 51pts)
S: Showunmi/Howard/Tarachuslki
AMC: Bridge-Wilkinson
DMC: Robinson/Johnson (with up arrows)
D: Davis/Williams/Davies/Chambers

Rushden promoted from League Two this season, and they were the team that ousted us from the FA Cup last season, although we beat them in league play earlier this season. They played a 4-4-2 with moderate push from the wingers in their last match.

Good news as I get ready for the match, as I see that overall, the players' morale wasn't too badly affected by the recent loss.

16th minute: RED CARD!!! One of their player kicked the ball toward Steve Robinson after they'd been awarded a free kick for offside. They switch to 4-4-1 with no push from the wingers.

19th minute: Enoch Showunmi shows me why I had to resign him, as he makes a great center, to Steve Howard's head for th 1-0 goal.

That will be the final score, in a game way too close for comfort. We could never get chances to score, despite being one man up on them. They finished the game in a very offensive 2-4-3 formation. At least we got the win.

Final Score: Luton 1, Rushden 0
Shots (on target): Luton 6 (3), Rushden 6 (2)
MoM: Steve Robinson, with a ratings of 8, winning 5 of 8 tackles, completing 16 of 18 passes, 3 of them key passes. It's his first MoM award this season.
our zone: 20/14
middle: 25/18
their zone: 10/13

We move within 1 point of Sheffield Wednesday and the 3rd place with the win. Sheffield lost 1-3 to Boston Utd.

Weird thing following the game, my physio tells me again that Tony James needs some rest, even though he only played 28 minutes. And on James' profile page, it says he is match fit. When I ask a report from my two physios, they both say he's not been with the club long enough for them to comment...
FM
Old 12-26-2004, 02:13 PM   #107
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Contract News
Steve Howard
rejects our latest offer, we move up the offer to 6000 per week, with a 36k signing fee, per goal bonus at 460 now, and assist up to 400 per assist...

February 1st, 2006
The transfer deadline passes without us making a move.

Contract News
Well the dance has started with Steve Howard as he rejects our offer once more. We up the signing fee to 40k.

Team Board News
With the new month comes the confidence update, the Team Board say they are delighted with how the team is going. I come in second for the second month in a row, for the Manager of the Month award, to Cardiff City's David Platt. Cardiff is currently in first place of the League.

FM
Old 12-26-2004, 02:34 PM   #108
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

January 1st, 2006
home vs Blackpool (currently 7th, 3 pts under the playoffs line, 9 pts behind us)
S: Pinnock/Howard/Tarachulski
DMC: Keane/Chambers (with up arrows)
D: Davis/Williams/Carbon/Foley (full backs with up arrows)

They played a 4-4-2 with big push from the wingers, but when I get to the game, I see that they have reduced the push from the wingers to a moderate push.

5th minute: Bartosz Tarachulski has an amazing start of the game. Marc Bridge-Wilkinson passes the ball right Steve Howard sitting right outside the box, who then flicks it on to Tarachulski inside the box. He fires a bullet for the 1-0 goal.

13th minute: A shot from James Pinnock gets deflected all the way to the right, right where Tarachulski was waiting. He charges on toward the goal, alone with the keeper, scores his 5th goal of the season. We're up 2-0.

26th minute: A great pass from Keith Keane to Steve Howard's head is how our 3rd goal happened. It was Howard's 100th goal as a Hatter. We're up 3-0.

31st minute: Keane is again the source of a Hatter goal, as he pumps a ball to Tarachulski on the right. Tarachulski then centers it to Howard, who's all alone on the penalty spot. He won't misse it for his second of the game and we're up 4-0.

54th minute: We lose our clean sheet as they center a ball from the right smack in the middle of our 6yard box, heading it in. We're still up 4-1.

75th minute: We let them operate and what had to happen happened. Mark Goodlad is not having is best game, as he's the only one showing a 6 for ratings. We're still up 4-2, and we'll keep it that way.

Final Score: Luton 4, Blackpool 2
Shots (on target): Luton 12 (7), Blackpool 8 (5)
MoM: Steve Howard, with a ratings of 9, 2 goals, 4 shots on goal. Bartosz Tarachulski also has a nice game, with a ratings of 8, 2 goals, also winning 13 of 16 headers.
our zone: 15/14
middle: 19/28
their zone: 10/14

We move to 3rd as Sheffield Wednesday drops one, 0-1 to Swindon. We now have won 11 league games in a row and have played 19 league games without losing.

Adam Chambers will be suspended for one match, as a results of picking up his 5th yellow card.

Marc Bridge-Wilkinson will miss 5 days with a sprained thigh.

FM
Old 12-27-2004, 02:30 PM   #109
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Player Praise
I praise Steve Howard for his great recent form. The reaction I get from the fans tells me I should everything that is possible to resign him.

Contract News
And speaking of Howard, he reject our offer once more, but remains willing to nefotiate. I up the signing fee from 40k to 52k and make a new offer.

Scout watches Redhead
That's what one of my news message said, for a moment, I was "what the heck, go watch players, not the ladies at the club!!!" Turned out it was a bad striker with a last name of Redhead, hehe

February 4, 2006
home vs Port Vale (currently 5th, 6 points behind us)
S: Showunmi/Howard/Hammond
DMC: Robinson/Johnson (with up arrows)
D: Davis/Williams/Davies/Foley (no arrows)
We are still in 3rd, now 3 points behind second place Millwall and 6 points behind first place Cardiff. These guys are not dropping many games, we have to keep fighting.

Many games in few days force me to go in depth. Also, Chris Coyne is still on international duty, Adam Chambers is suspended and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson is injured. To keep my full backs fresh, I take off the up arrows on them for this game.

24th minute: They center the ball to our 6 yard box. Curtis Davies is there to head it out, but he hits it weak and the ball stay in the penalty box, where they take it and score. Down 0-1.

35th minute: Mark Williams is getting burned so bad I have to take him off. Tony James comes in.

61st minute: Richard Johnson gets his second yellow card of the game and is sent off. With only ten men and behind by one, this is not going to be easy...

92nd minute: Two minutes into injury time, Steve Howard plays a free kick short outside their penalty box. Mark Jones is the recipient. He tries to force is once, but it's blocked by a defender. The ball gets right back to him, he dribbles it to position himself better and fires a 25 yard strike for the equalizer!!! 10 men and we tie them!!!

Final Score: Luton 1, Port Vale 1
Shots (on target): Luton 9 (2), Port Vale 8 (3)
MoM: Port Vale's Steve Rowland with a ratings of 8.
HoM: Mark Jones with a ratings of 8, the tying goal. He also completed 16 of 21 passes in only 28 minutes on the field.
our zone: 8/12
middle: 22/27
their zone: 19/12

We remain in 3rd, now tied with Sheffield Wednesday who won their match. The good news is that both Millwall and Cardiff drew their match.

Richard Johnson will be suspended for one match for having been sent off.

FM
Old 12-27-2004, 02:42 PM   #110
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Scouting/Transfer News
One of m scout reports to me that he has found a D/DM with some potential. The player is named Shola Oyedele, is 21yo and currently plays for the reserve team of MK Dons. I take a look at his skill set and he's interesting. Valued at 16k, I offer 10k now and 4k more when the player will have had 20 appearances for us.

U18 News
16yo Kevin Joyce is a commanding presence in Luton U18 squad 3-2 qin over Millwall's U18 team. He had a ratings of 8, winning 12 of 13 headers, 6 of them key headers.

Transfer News
The offer for Shola Oyedele is accepted. We go into contract negotiation mode. He want $1250 per week while my assistant thinks it would be reasonable to got as high as $1500, since he seems to have considerable talent for his age. I offer him $1000, considering he's making way less than that right now, and I see him more as a long term project. The offer is for a contract good until June 30, 2010.

Contract News
Steve Howard once more rejects our offer but is still open to negotiate. This is getting old. I up the signing fee to 60k and add a 5% yearly wage rise clause to the many clauses already there.

Loan News
Deep, deep backup Sean Ridgeway goes on loan to Northwood. He says he's looking forward to playing first team football. Good luck my friend...

Contract news
Shola Oyedele
agrees to term and signs a contract that will keep him with the Hatters until June 30, 2010. He says he can't wait to break into the first team setup at Kenilworth Road. I may put him in as my backup defender of defensive middie, then, maybe not.

FM
Old 12-28-2004, 12:24 PM   #111
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

February 11, 2006
home vs AFC Brounemouth (currently 12th with 40 points, we have 58 points)
S: Showunmi/Howard/Blinkhorn
AMC Mansell
DMC: Chambers/Robinson (with up arrows)
D: Davis/Carbon/Davies/Foley (full backs with up arrows)

7th minute: Sol Davis is injured and has to leave the field.

42nd minute: What looked like a crazy back pass from Matthew Blinkhorn all the way back to Curtis Davies turns out quite fine as Davies pumps the ball back to Blinkhorn who immediately centers it in the 6 yardd box, where Lee Mansell is there to apply the finish. We go up 1-0.

79th minute: The move the ball all over the field, until we leave a man open in the box. They get him the ball and we're back to square one, 1-1.

Final Score: Luton 1, Bournemouth 1
Shots (on target): Luton 8 (2), Bournemouth 4 (1)
MoM: Matt Carbon with a ratings of 8 and 11 interceptions.
our zone: 12/12
middle: 19/30
their zone: 14/12

We stay in 3rd place after the draw.

Matthew Blinkhorn reaches the yellow card limit and will be suspended for one match.

Sol Davis' injury turned out to be a strained wrist and he will miss one week.

FM
Old 12-28-2004, 12:39 PM   #112
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Contract/Transfer News
Steve Howard
rejects yet one more offer from us. We up the signing fee from 60k to 70k and up the yearly wage rise from 5 to 10%.

Among other Howard news, Sheffield Wednesday make it publicly known that they may come after Howard. I have a chance to respond and my comment goes to the effect that I will only sell him for the right price.

Following these comments, Howard goes to the media and says he owes it to himself to look seriously at moving to a bigger club. Son of a gun...

January 14, 2006
away at Walsall (currently 13th with 40pts, we have 59 pts)
S: Pinnock/Howard/Tarachulski
DMC: Wilde/Johnson (no up arrows)
D: Carbon/Williams/Oyedele/Keane (full backs with up arrows)

39th minute: A great counter-attack, launched by Marc-Bridge-Wilkinson with a 45 yards pass over the defender line, straight to the feet of Steve Howard is the source of our first goal in the game, as Howard brilliantly finishes it. We're up 1-0.

60th minute: They score on a crazy bending kick, from 25 yards out. Tied 1-1.

66th minute: Quick double salvo, as they take their time setting the perfect center that leads to their go ahead goal. Down 1-2.

85th minute: Elvis Hammond has plenty of speed in him, after replacing Bartosz Tarachulski. He uses it to go clean around a defender, into the box. He takes a first shot, but it's block by their keeper. Howard is there for the rebound and is second goal of the game. Tied 2-2.

They have a couple of amazing chances of killing us in the 92nd minute, but we hang in there for the draw.

Final Score: Luton 2, Walsall 2
Shots (on target): Luton 7 (5), Walsall 15 (5)
MoM: Walsall's keeper Dean Watts with a ratings of 8.
HoM: Steve Howard with 2 goals and a ratings of 8.
our zone: 8/37
middle: 18/23
their zone: 10/4

As you can see, we got completely eaten alive on possession in that game...

We remain in 3rd place as Sheffield Wednesday didn't play today.

Mark Jones suffered a stubbed toe in the game and will mis 5 days.

We now have a 22 games unbeaten streak going on.

FM
Old 12-28-2004, 01:13 PM   #113
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Contract News
Seems to me like I could do a copy/paste, as Steve Howard rejects yet one more offer from us. We up the signing fee to 80k, but I'm starting to believe we'll never sign him...

Loan News
Peterborough wants keeper Rob Beckwith and defender Kevin Joyce on loan. I have a feeling I may need Beckwith, so I ask for a 14k fee and I ask for a 400k fee for Joyce.

Transfer News
I try one last time for Rowan Vine. I offer Enoch Sowunmi and Elvis Hammond with 180k for Vine.

Loan News
Peterborough withdraw their loan bid on both Kevin Joyce and Rob Beckwith.

Contract News
Steve Howard reject our offer once more. I up the signing fee to 100k, that's my definite last offer.

January 18, 2006
away at Millwall (currently 2nd, 4 points ahead of us)
S: Tarachulski/Howard/Hammond
DMC: Johnson/Chambers (with up arrows)
D: Carbon/Davies/Oyedele/Foley (full backs with up arrows)

We have a rough stretch of games coming up. First we'll play second place Millwall, and then four days later, we get to play first place Cardiff City.

On top of these games, Chris Coyne is still away on international Duty (Oceania Nations Cup). He's been away for like 2 weeks, even though Australia wasn't part of the qualification stage.

Millwall played a pretty basic 4-4-2 in their last game, but they show a darn 4-2-4 as we get to the game. Darn I hate this formation.

14th minute: They move in from the left and cross the ball all the way to the other side. The kick comes in, the ball hits right inside the post, we go down 0-1.

22nd minute: Shola Oyedele leaves his centreback position and is way too adventurous. They center the ball into the hole he left open. The finish is easy. Down 0-2.

37th minute: Wo, we're getting killed. They go around Matt Carbon, center it, another seemingly easy goal. Mark Goodlad is having an awful game as we go down 0-3.

42nd minute: A long pas from Curtis Davies to Steve Howard leaves Howard alone behind their defensive line for an easy goal. He's alone for a reason, he was offside, goal is disallowed.

64th minute: A short corner kick is given back to the corner kick taker, who switfly centers it, we go down 0-4.

81st minute: It's getting seriously ugly. Nothing we do is going right. A free kick over a 6 man wall, top corner, is their fifth goal of the game. Down 0-5 and I can't wait for it to end...

Final Score: Luton 0, Millwall 5
Shots (on target): Luton 7 (5), Millall 22 (10)
MoM: Millwall's Jody Morris with a ratings of 9. Their whole team is all 8's except one 7 and two 9's.
HoM: NOBODY!!!
our zone: 10/23
middle: 19/28
their zone: 10/10

We remain in 3rd despite the loss, now tied with Swindon.

FM
Old 12-28-2004, 08:16 PM   #114
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Player News
Dani Rodrigues
goes to the media to complain. He wants first team football. He's the same kind of player that James Pinnock was, however, he lacks any real special skills, like the free kick and corner kick ability that Pinnock has. He also was acquired in the offseason spree we made, but I doubt I'll have a spot for him in the senior squad anytime soon.

Transfer News
Our Rowan Vine bid has been rejected. We lack the fundage to make an adequate bid -they are asking 650k for Vine- without a part exchange, so I may as well stick a fork in him...

Contract News
Steve Howard rejects our final offer. To hell with him, he'll play somewhere else next Fall... He now doesn't believe Luton has the resources to meet his demands, well F**k you mister, I don't know how, but we'll do without you next season. Now, I feel much better

February 22, 2006
home vs Cardiff City (currently 1st, 9 points ahead of us)
S: Showunmi/Howard/Pinnock
D: Davis/James/Williams/Keane (full backs with up arrows)

10th minute: James Pinnock launches a beauty of a free kick, from just outside their penalty box, just inside the post for the 1-0 goal.

35th minute: They catch Mark Goodlad napping, as they score on a 25 yards strike. Back to square one, 1-1.

51st minute: Darn it! Another long ball gets the better of Goodlad as we go down 1-2.

63rd minute: Pinnock powers another free kick, this time through the wall, where it gets deflected. Their keeper jumps the wrong way as the ball goes in. We tie 2-2.

We hang on, I'm very happy with this draw.

Final Score: Luton 2, Cardiff 2
Shots (on target): Luton 6 (2), Cardiff 8 (3)
MoM: Cardiff's James Collins with a ratings of 8
HoM: James Pinnock with 2 goals and a ratings of 8.
our zone: 11/13
middle: 17/30
their zone: 16/13

We drop to 4th as Sheffield Wednesday won.

U18/Loan News
Ipswich and Gillingham both want Kevin Joyce on loan. I ask the mandatory 400k fee...

FM
Old 12-28-2004, 08:31 PM   #115
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

February 25, 2006
home vs Watford (currently 9th with 49 points, we have 61 points
S: Hammond/Tarachulski/Blinkhorn
AMC: Jones
DMC: Wilde/Chambers
D: Carbon/Davies/Oyedele/Foley

I send a strong message to the team by criticizing and benching starting keeper Mark Goodlad for his very average play of the last few games.

Two games in three days is always tough, and because of that, I'll have many reserves in the game.

They played a 3-5-2 in their last game, but they show a 3-4-3 as we get to the game.

4th minute: Their right full back launches a long pass to their right forward, who then proceeds to center it right on the penalty spot. They convert easily. Down 0-1.

42nd minute: Rob Beckwith punches the ball away, a few feet from Matthew Blinkhorn who turns around and leave the ball to their midfielder who turns around, send it into the box where they convert a second goal. Down 0-2. I'm so pissed, I have to pull Blinkhorn from the game. Steve Howard comes in.

Some ugly passing from us happens in the second half, woah, not good... It also seems we're always second on the ball, there again, not good.

81st minute: Strangely, striker Steve Howard find himself way back in our zone, from where he launches a beautiful ball forward, to Adam Chambers who flicks it to Marc Bridge-Wilkinson. He move forward and does what he has to do when he gets alone with the keeper. still one down, 1-2.

87th minute: We pushed hard and that left some holes in the back, as they center a ball to the 6 yard box. Beckwith stops the first shot, but he can't do anything against the second one. 1-3

Final Score: Luton 1, Watford 3
Shots (on target): Luton 10 (4), Watford 23 (10)
MoM: Watford's Darren Garner with a goal and a ratings of 9
HoM: goalkeeper Rob Beckwith with a ratings of 8

We drop to 5th place. Next game is only on March 4th.

Injury News
Following the game, I learn that Steve Howard will miss two weeks with a groin strain and Tony James will miss one week with a sprained wrist.

Achievement News
James Pinnock makes the League One Team of the Week, thanks to his two goals on free kicks earlier in the week.

Loan News
Gillingham and Ipswich both withdraw their loan bid for Kevin Joyce.

FM
Old 12-28-2004, 10:00 PM   #116
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying reading this.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:40 PM   #117
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I think Howard really, really wants to train to be a goalkeeper while filling the bench on the reserve team.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 07:27 AM   #118
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying reading this.

thanks

I'm getting frustrated though. Being off from work, I don't have the coffee/lunch breaks to do my writeups. Each and every breaks, i.e. when kiddo is sleeping, is devoted to me playing the game and writing down what happens on paper, with no time, or should I say, no discipline to take the time to write it in here... I got about 14 pages of notes to post in here, so keep coming back

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 07:28 AM   #119
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
I think Howard really, really wants to train to be a goalkeeper while filling the bench on the reserve team.

hehe, maybe, maybe. He's been a goal scoring machine for us, maybe he could become a goal stopping machine, who knows

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 07:33 AM   #120
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

*chuckles*, Howard's new nickname has to be Sicknote, he's always at the physio's

(Ah, the days when I was immature enough to punish players I hated that screwed up by giving them goalie training, completely ruining their value to other teams...

Ah, I'm still that immature I think, I just haven't found anyone that I hated THAT much yet )
Old 12-29-2004, 08:23 AM   #121
Dawgfan1980
H.S. Freshman Team

Keep up the good work, from this lurker turned Author, although I can't compete with your success, or pretty pictures!
Old 12-29-2004, 09:32 AM   #122
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
*chuckles*, Howard's new nickname has to be Sicknote, he's always at the physio's

(Ah, the days when I was immature enough to punish players I hated that screwed up by giving them goalie training, completely ruining their value to other teams...

Ah, I'm still that immature I think, I just haven't found anyone that I hated THAT much yet )

funny, I think I'm pretty immature myself, heck my wife says she has three little boys on her hand, even though we only have two sons, guess who's the third little boy But I never thought about screwing him, I guess my mom raise me the right way

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 09:33 AM   #123
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan1980
Keep up the good work, from this lurker turned Author, although I can't compete with your success, or pretty pictures!

Thanks, always nice to hear that others are reading, and appreciate the read

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 09:44 AM   #124
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Team Board News
The Luton Team board is still delighted with my work as a manager of the club, as are the fans with the progress the team has been making.

Achievement News
We're not mentionned anywhere in the many monthly awards, although two of the three goals of the months happened against us. Pretty much the story of the last month if you ask me, people getting lucky against us and us not converting anything when we had the chance...

March 4, 2006
away at Chester (currently 24th with a goald differential of -60)
S: Showunmi/Tarachulski/Blinkhorn
DMC: Robinson/Chambers (no up arrows)
D: Davis/Carbon/Davies/Keane (full backs with up arrows)

This may be our chance to get back on track.

BUT! The whole game goes and nothing, NOTHING happens!!! Final score is a boring 0-0 draw... Even more disheartening is that we only fire one shot, and it's not even on goal... bleh.

Final Score: Luton 0, Chester 0
Shots (on target): Luton 1 (0), Chester 5 (0)
MoM: Chester's Richie Humphreys with a rating of 8
HoM: left full back Sol Davis with a ratings of 8, the only player with more than 7.

our zone: 15/15
middle: 11/22
their zone: 12/16

We remain in 5th with the draw. The morale of the whole team is down the dump. We better win some soon or else we could be in trouble...

Transfer News
Brighton seems interested in Elvis Hammond so I take a moment to offer him around to many teams, including Brighton. I ask 100k for him, while he's valued at 110k.

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 10:07 AM   #125
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

March 7, 2006
away at Barnsley (currently 19th with 40pts, we have 62pts)
S: Tarachulski/Hammond
AMC: Pinnock/Mansell
DMC: Wilde/Johnson
D: Davis/Williams/Oyedele/Foley

I'm trying some new formation in this one, I want to make something happen. It's a 4-2-2-2, based off my usual 4-3-3. I drop down James Pinnock in a AMC position, but with an arrow that leads him to the middle striker position. Here, see for yourself:

I want to be able to generate some balls to my forward because I'm getting the feeling we're getting beat in possession, especially in the middle and we can't feed the ball to the forwards as much as we were able to. I have three very capable AMCs, and Pinnock is sort of my ace in the hole, as he's a F C. We'll see how this goes.

They are playing a diamond 4-4-2, so this one may end up being a fight in the middle of the field.

12th minute: Sol Davis commits a cynical foul and gets sent off. What is that?!? The ref can't take any kind of comment about his wife or his manhood anymore? Sheesh... That ref has already given 2 yellows, 1 red and numerous warnings already, this may be a looong game...

13th minute: They play the corner kick short, passed back to the corner taker who centers it inside the box where they finish it. Down 0-1 with 10 men on the pitch, that's gonna be a toughie...

81st minute: 10 men Luton squad do it again!!! Enoch Showunmi move the ball to the left to Mark Jones who passess it to Lee Mansell. Mansell exchange a back and forth 1-2 with Jones and fires it toward the goal. It goes in off the post for Mansell's 5th goal of the season. Tied 1-1.

87th minute: Richard Johnson gets his second yellow of the game and is sent off. We switch to a 3-2-1-2 and not only we hang on, but we even put some pressure...

Final Score: Luton 1, Chester 1
Shots (on target): Luton 20 (7), Chester 6 (3)
MoM: keeper Rob Beckwith with a rating of 9 and a few important saves

our zone: 14/24
middle: 19/21
their zone: 14/8

The 4-2-2-2 wasn't all bad, as it helped us getting many shots, but we were not able to convert them, and the red cards kind of threw a wrench in the whole thing. Pinnock didn't seem to like that new position too much as he had a very low form rating and was eventually subbed out, replaced by Mark Jones. The jury is still out...

We drop to 6th with the draw and we are clearly in a slump. We've not won in our last 8 league matches.
Sol Davis and Richard Johnson will both be banned for a match for being sent off. We appeal of the Davis ban, with little hope I must say...

Transfer News
Nobody wants of Elvis Hammond, he must be overweight and near the end of his career. I'm getting ready to ship him to Memphis...

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 10:07 AM   #126
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

That new formation looks like it has too little width, FM.

Goof Dynasty.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:40 AM   #127
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
That new formation looks like it has too little width, FM.

Goof Dynasty.

assuming the goof meant good, thanks

I agree with the formation and I'm not sure it will have a long life with my squad...

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 11:52 AM   #128
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Discipline News
The FA thinks that we did not have valid grounds for our appeal against the one match ban for Sol Davis. I guess he was very cynical when he made that unfortunate gesture...

Contract News
We release right defender Daniele Fortunato and goalkeeper Dino Seremet on free transfers. Fortunato's cost 14k, while Seremet's cost us 18k. This is going to save us over 2000 in wages per week.

March 11, 2006
home vs Bradford City (currently in 15th with 45 points, we have 63 points)
S: Showunmi/Tarachulski
AMC: Bridge-Wilkinson/Mansell
DMC: Keane/Chambers (with up arrows)
D: Carbon/Williams/Oyedele/Foley (full backs with up arrows)

A second try with the 4-2-2-2. We're currently 8 points ahead of 7th place Watford.

19th minute: It's a pretty even game so far, with us getting the bulk of the chances, but we have not been able to convert yet. They get a rare chance and convert it on a freak center headed in. Down 0-1.

79th minute: It's a game of pong in their penalty box following a corner kick from Marc Bridge-Wilkinson. They try to get it out, but we keep it in the box until Adam Chambers gets his foot around it and converts is for his 1st ever Luton goal on a half volley. We tie 1-1.

Final Score: Luton 1, Chester 1
Shots (on target): Luton 9 (5), Chester 5 (1)
MoM: Marc Bridge-Wilkinson with a rating of 8, completing 35 of 44 passes.

our zone: 12/13
middle: 19/26
their zone: 15/15

The new formation isn't really giving us the control of the ball in the middle, even though it's giving us more chances.

We're still in 6th, now tied with 5th place Port Vale who lost 1-3 against Millwall. Our next match is only in a week, on March 19.

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 12:25 PM   #129
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

International Roundup
Chris Coyne
is getting a lot of playing time with Australia as they crush their opponents in the Oceania Nations Cup. He's been away for a while now, but should be back with us shorlty, as the final is only supposed to be played in December 2006. Australia and New Zealand advanced to the final.

Achievement News
Marc Bridge-Wilkinson
is named on the League One Team of the Week.

March 18, 2006
away at Oldham (currently 12th with 49 points, we have 64 points)
S: Showunmi/Howard/Tarachulski
D: Davis/Davies/Coyne/Foley (full backs with up arrows)

Pretty much everybody is rested up. We go back to the 4-3-3 with the return from injury of Steve Howard. Oldham shows a 3-4-3 with the outside strikers taking it wide.

The first half goes and despite us getting 7 shots, 4 of them on goal, we can't convert. Meanwhile, Oldham has not had one shot toward goal in the whole half.

49th minute: DAMN!!! On their very first shot on goal, coming after a very long pass, they take a first shot, blocked, but they score on the second shot. Down 0-1.

65th minute: They're doing everything they want, and are lucky doing it as it seems every little break falls their way. We go down 0-2.

83rd minute: PENALTY!!! Tony James trips one of their strikers. He must have been clear to the goal, as James gets the red card for professional foul. Luckily, the penalty is blazed over the bar for no goal.

91st minute: They score one final goal on a crazy center from the byline to the 6 yard box. Down 0-3.

Final Score: Luton 0, Oldham 3
Shots (on target): Luton 13 (6), Oldham 9 (5)
MoM: Oldham's Adam Griffin with a rating of 9.
HoM: Marc Bridge-Wilkinson with a rating of 7, completing 28 of 33 passes, 6 of them key passes, and shooting 3 ties on goal.

Keeper Mark Goodlad has another average showing in his return to first team play. We stay in 6th place, but we're now only 3 points ahead of Watford.

Tony James will be banned for one match following his red card. We appeal the ban, even though I don't think we have much of a chance.

Loan News
Oxford wants keeper Rob Beckwith on loan for 3 months, but with the way Mark Goodlad has been playing lately, I reject the offer. Beckwith may be called upon a bit more in the coming matches.

Discipline News
As expected, the FA thinks we didn't have valid grounds for the appeal. Has anybody ever won an appeal?

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 12:26 PM   #130
Tellistto
College Prospect

I had a few appeals go through on 03/04 but don't know about this game. Used to if you appealed too much the FA would get a low opinion of you, or give a touchline ban(which doesn't mean a thing in the game that I know of). Good read, Froggie, keep it up!

Tell

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:02 PM   #131
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

appeal is useless for one game bans but sometimes works for longer bans (but most of the time you don't know the length of the ban except for the automatic one match).
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:45 PM   #132
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Transfer News
Getting pissed with the bad playing of my two keepers, I decide to scour the transfer lists. I search only for players that are transfer listed as sometimes, bargains can be found for players that are unwanted by their current team.

I find a 24yo keeper named Joe Murphy, currently playing with the Coventry Reserves. He shows great handling skills and reflexes asn is very brave. They are asking for 40k for him, even though he's valued at som 180k. I offer 36k. Since we're in the final week before the transfer deadline, we get a response in the same day. The offer is accepted!

On to contract negotiation with Murphy. He wants $4000 per week + a 6k signing fee. He currently earns $4200 per week. My assistant thinks that he would become a useful memeber of our first team and that we could offer him up to $4200. I play hardball and offer him $3600 +6k signing fee, and a bonus of $150 per clean sheet, for a deal that would run through to June 30, 2009. He accepts the deal and signs with the club within two days.

Loan News
Peterborough again want Kevin Joyce on a 3 month loan. I ask for a 340k fee.

Transfer News
Out of curiosity, I check to see if Steve Howard has changed his mind about us not having the resources to meet his demand. HOLY MOLY!!! He was right. He's asking for $11500 per week!!! I decide to take a chance and I offer him around, since we're in the last week before the deadline for transfers.

Having signed a keeper, I also decide to offer Rob Beckwith around.

Injury News
Shola Oyedele suffers a damaged neck in training. He'll be out for 2 weeks.

Loan News
Maidenhead wants striker Calvin Andrew for a 3 months loan. They offer to pay his whole salary so I accept the offer.

Transfer News
Sheffield United offers $280k for Steve Howard. Considering I will not get anything for him at the end of the season, since I won't be able to resign him, I make my mind to accept the offer. In fact, I have no choice but to accept the offer, as it meets an active release fee clause on Howard's contract. (the "reject offer" button is even greyed out) That's a first for me, as I had never seen this clause go into effect. Good to know how it works

Among other transfer news, Chesterfield makes a bid for Rob Beckwith. They offer 28k and 50% of the next sale. I don't like this kind of bid very much to be honest, mostly since I don't control the next sale. I like more money up front, so I counter with an offer like 36k now and 25% of next sale.

Loan News
Calvin Andrew accepts to go on loan at Maidenhead.

Transfer News
Steve Howard signs a contract with Sheffield Utd and YOWZA!!! $11000 per week, $650 per goal and 340 per assist, craziness I tell you, craziness... Anyway, bye Howie, was nice when you were with us, good luck in the Championship...

Rob Beckwith's transfer to Chesterfield is cancelled as the transfer deadline date passes.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 12-29-2004 at 01:47 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:51 PM   #133
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

April 1st, 2006
With the beginning of April, I get a slew of reminders about contracts that will expire in 3 months. I look at a few of them and release a bunch of young players on cheapo contracts.

With the going away of Steve Howard, thus freeing the team of $6800 on wages per week, and a few minor free releases, I have brought the team wages to only $650 over our weekly wage budget. What I just see is that with the sale of Howard, the team board increased our wage budget from 61k to 65k per week, nice. The same kind of thing happened when I sold Kevin Nicholls for 750k earlier in the season. I guess they like it when you make a big sale.

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 01:52 PM   #134
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellistto
I had a few appeals go through on 03/04 but don't know about this game. Used to if you appealed too much the FA would get a low opinion of you, or give a touchline ban(which doesn't mean a thing in the game that I know of). Good read, Froggie, keep it up!

Tell

Thanks for the good words and for the comment on bans. I guess I'll stop appealing each and every one of them for a little while

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 01:54 PM   #135
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreizhManu
appeal is useless for one game bans but sometimes works for longer bans (but most of the time you don't know the length of the ban except for the automatic one match).

makes sense. I tried appealing when Bridge-Wilkinson got his 2 extra games, but it didn't work then. Would probably help if we had a good explanation of the foul that occured, so we could know if there's any reason to appeal...

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 02:12 PM   #136
Tellistto
College Prospect

Just so you know, the reason your wage budget went up is because you had more money in the bank. Wage budget is directly related to available cash. So, the more cash in the bank, the higher wages you can offer.

Tell

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:03 PM   #137
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellistto
Just so you know, the reason your wage budget went up is because you had more money in the bank. Wage budget is directly related to available cash. So, the more cash in the bank, the higher wages you can offer.

Tell

ahh, sort of makes sense. Does this mean that if I go out and break the bank to buy that one player I really need with the 400k I have in transfer budget, that my wage budget will go down? hrm, not good if so...

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 04:22 PM   #138
Desnudo
Coordinator

I think appeals only work when it's really obvious the ref made a mistake. Like when you read the report and it says that the call was a dubious decision.

Reading through your match report on loss to Millwall's 4-2-4 gave me the jitters. I can't stand playing that formation. It's like a magic formula for the AI. Same with the 2-3-5 that the AI goes to late in games. I hope SI sorts it out in a future patch because I think it's over the top.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 05:43 PM   #139
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Reading through your match report on loss to Millwall's 4-2-4 gave me the jitters. I can't stand playing that formation. It's like a magic formula for the AI. Same with the 2-3-5 that the AI goes to late in games. I hope SI sorts it out in a future patch because I think it's over the top.

AHH!!! Good to know I'm not the only who feels this way about the dreaded 4-2-4. I hate that formation, can't seem to do anything against it.

I'll try going super defensive next time, hoping next time will be as far away in time as possible

Thanks for reading!

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 06:55 PM   #140
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

April 1, 2006
away at Chesterfield (currently 8th, only 8 points behind us)
S: Showunmi/Pinnock/Tarachulski
DMC: Johnson/Keane
D: Davis/Williams/Coyne/Foley
GK: Murphy

Everybody is well rested, the after Howard era can begin... Sad thing is it will begin with about everybody's morale in the dump, following this streak of 10 games without a win. Chesterfield's morale is superb all around...

66th minute: A goal kick by their keeper is headed right back to Marc Bridge-Wilkinson by Sol Davis. Bridge-Wilkinson moves past two defender and scores on a lovely strike. We're up 1-0.

87th minute: Stupid, stupid, stupid quick throw in by Kevin Foley. Almost looked like the ball was burning his hand as he makes the throw with nobody, and I mean NOBODY from our team around him. They take the ball, quickly center it and they score. Tied 1-1.

We hang on, even though the 3 minutes of injury time appeared to last some 25 minutes instead...

Final Score: Luton 1, Chesterfield 1
Shots (on target): Luton 4 (1), Chesterfield 11 (3)
MoM: Chris Coyne with a rating of 8, winning 10 of 11 headers, 5 of the key headers.

Joe Murphy gets a solid rating of 8 in his debut with Luton. The whole back line played solidly, all getting 8's.

We remain in 5th and even gain 1 point over Watford as they lost 1-5 over Millwall.

The away draw seems to have boosted the troup's morale a lot, this is good to see.

Achievement News
Sol Davis
and Chris Coyne are name on the League One Team of the Week

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 07:44 PM   #141
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

April 5, 2006
home vs Torquay (currently 23rd with 39pts, we have 65pts)
S: Showunmi/Blinkhorn/Tarachulski
D: Davis/Williams/Coyne/Foley (full backs with up arrows)

That 23rd place for Torquay feels weird and make me nervous. They used to be at the top last season, giving us trouble...

32nd minute: Kevin Foley is too aggressive, getting way out of position pursuing one of their wingers. That leaves a man wide open behind him, they score, we're down 0-1.

46th minute: Start of the second half, great play by Matthew Blinkhorn as he takes the ball forward into the box, centers it to Marc Bridge-Wilkinson who makes the finish for his 5th of the season. We tie it 1-1.

49th minute: Free kick for us right outside their penalty box. Chris Coyne plays it short to Blinkhorn who tries for the goal. The kick is blocked and deflected to Bartosz Tarachulski who nails it. We go up 2-1.

91st minute: Bridge-Wilkinson finds a lost ball right outside their box and fires a long one, from 25 yards out. Finds the back of the net for his second of the game.

Final Score: Luton 3, Torquay 1
Shots (on target): Luton 20 (11), Torquay 12 (4)
MoM: Marc Birdge-Wilkinson with a rating of 10, 2 goals. I know goals can boost a rating, but he also completed 43 of 56 passes and placed 5 of 8 shots on target, almost half of the whole team shot totals...

our zone: 16/14
middle: 21/21
their zone: 13/14

We're in 6th, but only because of a tiebreaker. Technically, we're tied in 5th with Port Vale. This win is a great way to break that streak of 11 games without a win, a great morale booster.

With 5 games left in the season, we're now 7 points clear of Watford.

Here's the league table after 41 of 46 games played:
PosTeamPldWonDrnLstForAgG.D.Pts
1stMillwall4129579035+5592
2ndCardiff41241346526+3985
3rdSheff Wed41228117042+2874
4thSwindon412011105641+1571
5thPort Vale41171776042+1868
6thLuton41171776650+1668
7thWatford411613126259+361
8thChesterfield411512145557-257
9thBlackpool411511155958+156
10thBoston Utd41168175257-556
11thOldham411413145048+255
12thWalsall411410174245-352
13thBradford City411116145054-449
14thWrexham411310184551-649
15thHuddersfield411310185360-749
16thBournemouth411213165260-849
17thCheltenham41139194872-2448
18thBarnsley411017144350-747
19thStockport411114165059-947
20thColchester41138204454-1047
21stRushden411110203448-1443
22ndDoncaster411011204972-2341
23rdTorquay41815184766-1939
24thChester4197253672-3634

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 07:59 PM   #142
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Contract News
We resign 35yo centreback Mark Williams at a very reduced rate of $1800 per week, compared to his current wage of $3400 per week. I had not planned on keeping him, but he's a good insurance policy. This move finally puts us under the wage budget line. woohoo!

April 8, 2006
away at Huddersfield (currently 15th with 49pts, we have 68pts)
S: Showunmi/Hammond/Pinnock
DMC: Robinson/Chambers (with up arrows)
D: Davis/Davies/Coyne/Keane

They played a 3-5-2 with 5 on a line in their last match, but they show a 4-3-3 as we get to the game.

2nd minute: They hit us on the counter attack, a 50 yard long pass is at the source of the goal. Down 0-1.

15th minute: After a shot from James Pinnock that's block by their keeper, a defender tries to clear the ball toward the back but kicks it right in, it's an OWN GOAL!!! Tied 1-1.

56th minute: Very frustrating goal, as we have everybody covered around our penalty box. The one player with the ball spins around once, then twice, then kicks it toward the goal from 30 yards out, it goes in... Down 1-2.

We try and try again, but it's a very even game and we can't connect...

Final Score: Luton 1, Huddersfield 2
Shots (on target): Luton 9 (5), Huddersfield 10 (6)
MoM: Huddersfield's keeper Jacob Giles with a rating of 9.
HoM: Sol Davis with a rating of 8.
our zone: 16/21
middle: 19/20
their zone: 15/9

I hate card happy refs. We end the game with 5 yellows, they have 4... Watford didn't play, so we're still in 6th, up by 7.

Achievement News
Marc Bridge-Wilkinson
and Bartosz Tarachulski are both named on the League One Team of the Week. Always nice to see more than one player being named in one week...

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 08:19 PM   #143
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Luton Midfielder in quit threat
Here's hit me in my inbox today: "Rumours that Luton midfielder Keith Keane wants to leave the club and has requested a meeting with the club's board are true, according to a local newspaper. Keane is understood to have finally decided that his future lies away from Kenilworth Road and that he needs to move to a bigger club to further his career."

Well, that was a shocker. Keane is a Luton born fellow, 19yo, now valued at $1.65M. He's a very versatile, well rounded D/DM RC that is averaging 7.22 for rating this season, playing sometimes at right full back, sometimes at defensive middie. I say I didn't expect it, and I didn't, not at all. But looking back, this kind of crazy value probably means he'll be a star someday, and maybe he's right, maybe Kenilworth Road is too small for him... He's currently earning $1350 per week and when I try to offer him a new contract, I see he's asking for keey player money, in the $5400 range. I'll let the season end and will probably transfer list him at the start of next next, at his value, not a bit lower, so I could make a nice sale and get a new defensive middie to take his place...

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 08:27 PM   #144
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

With 4 games to go, we're still in 6th place with a tiny 4 points lead over Watford, for what would be the last playoff spot.

Here's who we'll play in these last 4 games:

Doncaster at home, they're 22nd right now
Colchester at home, they're 16th right now
Stockport away, they're 20th right now
Cheltenham at home, they're 18th right now

Let's hope we can build some momentum and possibly boost the team morale for some possible playoffs...

Contract News
I offer a contract extension to Sol Davis, at his current wage rate, but extending him from until June 30, 2007 to June 30, 2009.

Useless News
Game status says I've been playing this career for 3 days, 10 hours, 11 minutes. My addictedness rating says that "turning your underwear inside out saves on washing"... hrm not sure the FrogWoman would approve of that...

FM
Old 12-29-2004, 08:54 PM   #145
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

April 15, 2006
home vs Doncaster (currently 22nd, more below)
S: Showunmi/Tarachulski/Blinkhorn
DMC: Johnson/Chambers
D: Davis/James/Coyne/Foley

They are only 6 points from getting out of the relegation zone, while we're only 4 ahead of the 7th place Watford. Watford plays 5th place Port Vale who's only 1 point ahead of us. Very important games all around...

I'm trying something different in this game, trying to bring a bit mor width to the formation. A picture is probably the best way to explain it, so here goes...

I'm not too sure what it will give, it's a try... The DMC going out is something that Desnudo posted about in this very dynasty, early on, the forwards on the outside going in is my idea. The thing I'm unsure about is that by moving them outside, they become FR and FL and the two guys I'm playing there are straight SC... We'll see.

They played the dreaded 4-2-4 in their last game, but show a more manageable 4-4-2 with moderate push from the wings as we get to the game.

Well that was a boring one. NO GOALS, some chances, but not much. Our inability to convert is frustrating me...

Final Score: Luton 0, Doncaster 0
Shots (on target): Luton 6 (3), Doncaster 5 (0)
MoM: Doncaster's keeper Martyn Margetson
HoM: Marc Bridge-Wilkinson with the only tating above 7, a 8.

our zone: 12/14
middle: 23/23
their zone: 16/12

Port Vale beat Watford, so we gain a point on them there, but we're now 3 points behind Port Vale and the 5th place.

Kevin Foley damaged his shoulder in the game and will miss 5 days. Our next match is only in a week, so hopefully he'll be back for that one.

Contract News
Sol Davis
agrees on contract extension and signs a deal that will keep him with Luton until June 30, 2009. Sol has been a fixture in the back, often playing in back to back games and most of the times getting good ratings.

Incidentally, the player I had acquired to play left full back, Matt Carbon is now unhappy for a new reason. He once was unhappy because he said I wasn't playing him in his best position, while I was playing him at left full back and he's a D LC. Now, after he got injured for a long while and Sol Davis has established himself as the man at left full back, I decide to move Carbon to the reserve team to give him playing time and he cries that he wants first team play... hrm, I'll let him wait there for now...

FM
PS: this is it, I'm all caught up. I will now play game by game and try to report after every game I play. Way I did it for that long stretch was to play, take notes, play some more, take more notes, then I reported it all here... Three games and possible playoffs to come... GO HATTERS!!!
Old 12-30-2004, 10:12 AM   #146
mrkilla22
High School Varsity

Nice job Frogman! Go Hatters!
mrkilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #147
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Transfer News
With the season dwindling down, with the wages now sort of under control, and with still maybe some good players available through Bosman signings, I have set my sights on possibly finding a replacement for Steve Howard as my target man. I'm looking for a strong guy with possibly good finishing and heading.

I'm ashamed to say I offered a contract to a player that I don't remember. Said player is Ivan Kaviedes, currently playing for Barcelona. I remember that he refused our first offer and that he accepted the second time I offered him the exact same thing. I don't remember the offer, but I assume it was the max the Team Board would let me give, which would be $6600 per week, since he's currently earning $9000 per week. He's got some amazing skills all around, except 3 things that worry me a little: little accelerating, little pace, and little stamina. But he's scored 12 goals in 13 games this season, this has got to mean something. He's currently awaiting a work permit.

Among other transfer news, I offer Elvis Hammond around, as I see that some teams seem interested in him. His value has soared in the last 2-3 weeks, from 100k to 160k. I ask 70k for him, as his contract comes to an end on June 30, and I don't plan on signing him.

FM
Old 12-30-2004, 02:37 PM   #148
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

April 22, 2006
home vs Colchester (currently 17th with 50 points, we have 69 points)
S: Showunmi/Hammond/Tarachulski
D: Davis/Coyne/James/Keane (full backs with up arrows)

Curtis Davies suffered a chest injury in training and will miss 5 days. Not too worried about it, as he would have only possibly been a backup.

Colchester played a 4-4-2 with moderate push from the wingers in their last game and make no changes as they get to our game.

37th minute: I don't like that. Neither the match stats (shots) nor the ball control figures suggest this, but each and every highlights that have been shown so far have been of them moving the ball around our goal...

41st minute: As I finish writing the above sentence, I get shown another highlight of them in our zone. They move in, get two kicks, both blocked, but they score on the third one. Down 0-1.

And this is the final score as we can't generate anything up front!!! They don't get many shots on target, but they converted the one they got.

Final Score: Luton 0, Colchester 1
Shots (on target): Luton 8 (4), Colchester 12 (2)
MoM: Colchester's defender Liam Chilvers with a rating of 8
HoM: Nobody really stands out. We get a bunch of 7's and even 2 6's, one of them to keeper Joe Murphy.

our zone: 11/16
middle: 21/22
their zone: 13/16

We remain in 6th place, now with only 4 points over Watford, as they drew their game against Bournemouth. Two games left and one win from us, or one loss from them will clinch the playoff spot for us.

Elvis Hammond suffered a facial injury (thorn eyelash? scratched cheek? ) and will miss 3 days.

Bartosz Tarachulski twisted his knee and will miss a week. That one I'm a bit more concerned about...

League One News
Millwall have won League One and gained promotion to the English Championship.

Cardiff have clinched 2nd place and promotion to the English Championship as well.

FM
Old 12-30-2004, 02:55 PM   #149
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Special News
To show you how good a job Eaglesfan27 has been doing with Harrogate Town in 2005-06, I just learned that they just got relegated from the English Conference North in 2005-06 in my career...

Injury News
Richard Johnson suffers a groin strain in training and will miss 3 weeks. That's a blow to my midfield as Johnson is one of the anchor at defensive midfield.

Work Permit News
Ivan Kaviedes' work permit has been asked for. A decision should be made by May 7th.

Transfer News
Three teams are interested in Elvis Hammond and all make bids of $70k: Swindon from League One, Coventry from the Championship, and Swansea from League Two. At first I'm tempted to reject the bid from Swindon, since they're in 4th place in League One and I may play them in the playoffs if we get there, but I see this weird tidbit. All the bids are for next available date, and that date is June 7, which is well after the playoffs are done in League One. Hammond's contract end on June 30, he's 25, wouldn't he fall under the Bosman ruling? Wouldn't the team be better to approach him to sign a contract effective at the end of his current contract? Maybe it was because contract this season was only for one season, don't know. If anybody knows, help me understand...

Reserve News
Okay, here's a weird one for you. I have set my assistant manager to be the one controlling the Reserve and U18 teams, as I don't really feel like watching their games. I have recently moved Rob Beckwith to the reserve team, since I now have two starting caliber keeper on the senior team. I'd assume that Beckwith would be the one getting the starts on the reserve team, but no! Take a look at this player compare page and tell me how my assistant manager can think it's a better idea to consistently play Zac Barrett over Rob Beckwith...

Even if you say that Barrett is much younger than Beckwith, he doesn't have the potential than Beckwith has, and Beckwith isn't so much older, he's 21 for crying out loud!!!

I also always assumed that taking over the reserve and U18 teams meant I had to watch their games. Can I take the control off from my assistant manager, assign lineups and not watch their games? That kind of things is not making me happy. It's also what is happening with Matt Carbon, the unhappy fellow I mentionned earlier. He's not even getting playing time, even in the reserve team, while some unsigned young kids are playing, some U18 guys are playing in both squads... Anyway, not that big a deal, but not making me happy either...

Scouting News
I send scout Jon Lock to Sweden, to try and scout some young talents.

Transfer News
Elvis Hammond signs a contract with Swindon. The transfer will go through on June 6. I guess getting 70k is better than not getting anything of him. I had signed him among my many Bosman ruling in the last offseason. He gave me a fair season, and now I sell him, I consider this a sound investment

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 12-30-2004 at 04:28 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 04:38 PM   #150
Desnudo
Coordinator

The assistant manager, for lack of a better word, sucks in this game. It's really very buggy. I've had problems with him playing some of my 1st team in a Wed reserve match so they're tired come Saturday. Really annoying. Nevermind that he doesn't like any player I try to sign so I can't offer proper wages.

This has long been complained about to SI, going back to prior versions, but they don't seem to either understand the problem or intend to fix it.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote