fantastic flying froggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:49 PM   #52
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

The Iceman Returneth!

Kuhn inks new deal, escalates
war of words with El Paso DT

Free Agency Stage 2, 2007

Portland, OR (ESPN) – In one fell swoop yesterday, the Oregon Ice re-signed their starting quarterback and fanned the flames of a bitter rivalry.

“Who the hell is Derick Javier?” Oregon QB Thomas Kuhn asked rhetorically at a team press conference announcing his new three-year pact with the Ice. “The only people who make comments like that are rookies and idiots.”

Kuhn was referring to El Paso defensive tackle Derick Javier’s assertion last week that he looked forward to “punishing” Kuhn this season. “I was pumped up about getting my new contract done, but this just gives me more incentive when we play El Paso. I’ve already got the date circled on my calendar.”

That date will be Week 3 this season when the Ice visit the Rockets to avenge a one-point loss to El Paso in 2006. “I’m gonna throw for 300 yards and four touchdowns in that game,” Kuhn predicted. “Javier won’t even lay a finger on me, assuming he even plays--I hear he needs to sit out when he gets a paper cut.”

The usually humble Kuhn was anything but that on this day, ecstatic with the team’s long-term commitment to him. “I’ve dreamed of this moment my whole life,” said Kuhn, who will be going for his third Ring of Ice division title in a row this year. “Oregon is where I want to finish my career.”

Kuhn most likely will under the terms of his deal. The contract includes a $540,000 signing bonus and base salaries of $1.04 million in 2007 and $1.52 million in 2008. The final year of the contract calls for a $12 million base salary, but both sides expect that a new deal will be renegotiated or Kuhn will retire.

“He’s the best bargain in the CFL,” Oregon general manager Jack “Grid” Iron said of the quarterback who threw for 2,132 yards, 20 touchdowns and 9 interceptions with a 61% completion rate in just seven games last year. “We’ve got something special here and Tommy is going to help us keep it going.”

Author's Note: Thanks FFF for the "Iceman" idea! Awesome!

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-06-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Grid Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:54 PM   #53
JeeberD
General Manager

Oh my...I can't wait to hear what Derick is going to have to say about this!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:11 PM   #54
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid Iron
Author's Note: Thanks FFF for the "Iceman" idea! Awesome!

My pleasure, if it helps improving even just slightly an already great dynasty!

But to completely truthful, it wasn't really my idea. If you go to the FOFC front page right now, you will see this :

Today's Birthdays
EightOfEight (37), iceman04uk (28)
That's where I got the idea...
Old 05-05-2005, 08:59 PM   #55
JeeberD
General Manager

Javier responds to Ice QB's attack

Darren Hunt
Rockets Beat Writer

In a press conference yesterday to announce his signing, Oregon Ice quarterback Thomas Kuhn went after Rockets defensive tackle Derick Javier, calling him an "idiot" and claiming that he'll throw for four scores and 300 yards in this year's Week 3 match-up.

“Who the hell is Derrick Javier? The only people who make comments like that are rookies and idiots. I’m gonna throw for 300 yards and four touchdowns in [Week 3],” Kuhn predicted. “Javier won’t even lay a finger on me, assuming he even plays--I hear he needs to sit out when he gets a paper cut.”

Kuhn was over-reacting to a press quote from Javier after he saw a photo of himself applying pressure to Kuhn in last year's game against Oregon. Javier said that he had "punished" Kuhn on that play.

"The facts are that I DID punish Kuhn on that play. He may have gotten the ball into the air before I hit him, but I still drove his punk ass into the turf," said Javier. "And later in the game, I sacked his ass. Don't hear him saying anything about that in his lame ass quotes."

"As far as my being an idiot, I graduated from TCU Magna Cum Laude. Where did Kuhn go to school, Arizona State? The school that serial killer Franklin Noble Brown graduated from as Valedictorian? Do I need to say anything more?"

Javier also responded to Kuhn's claims about the Week 3 game. "He says I won't lay a finger on him...good luck with that. Yeah, I know we just lost my great player in my buddy Pierre [Hinson], but we got back a nice player in John Moody, and our line is going to be as strong as ever. If Kuhn gets any time to throw the ball at all I'm going to be very disappointed."

"Man, the only people who give predictions to the press are rookies and idiots," said Javier with a wink.

Old 05-06-2005, 12:02 PM   #56
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

The CFL Network

CFL Total Access Transcript

Free Agency Stage 3, 2007

EISEN: Welcome back to CFL Total Access, where it’s football season every day of the year! I’m Rich Eisen, and joining me tonight on the show is the recently retired, and always outspoken, Chester Brumley, who was the 2003 Offensive Player of the Year.

BRUMLEY: Thanks Rich, good to be here.

EISEN: Now, we’re going to turn on the Ice Cam for a talk with Oregon QB Thomas Kuhn, who recently signed a new three-year contract. Welcome to the show, Tommy.

KUHN: Hey guys, thanks for having me on the show.

EISEN: So, Tommy, it must be exciting to get free agency out of the way.

KUHN: It is, Rich. Oregon is where I wanted to be, so I’m really happy we got the contract worked out so quickly.

EISEN: Now, I read the terms of the deal and you’re due for a hefty pay raise in year three, correct?

KUHN: Yeah (laughing), $12 million. But I think we’ll either renegotiate a new deal by then or I’ll be retiring.

EISEN: Maybe $12 million will be a bargain for your services by then.

KUHN: I sure hope so, but I’m not getting any younger.

EISEN: What a break out year you had in 2006. Over 2,000 passing yards, 20 TDs and just 9 interceptions in seven games.

KUHN: I had a good year, but a lot of the credit goes to the receivers. Having Matt Brunner, Alden Roy and Newton Begin makes it a lot easier.

BRUMLEY: So, Tommy, I hear you’ve gotten into a bit of a war of words with Derick Javier of El Paso?

KUHN: That’s putting it mildly, I guess

BRUMLEY: Have you read Javier’s most recent comments?

KUHN: Yeah, what a joke.

BRUMLET : Derick says that last year in the Ice-El Paso game, he sacked you, and drove your “punk ass” into the turf. What’s your response to that?

KUHN: Uh, I guess I would say he’s an idiot. I wasn’t even playing for Oregon when the Ice played the Rockets!

EISEN: He might have been thinking of Maurice Brown, who was the starting QB for Oregon in that game.

KUHN: What did he say, that he graduated Magna Cum Laude? Sounds more like Magna Cum Loud Mouth to me.

BRUMLEY: (laughing) I know I’ll be looking forward to Week 3 this year. Maybe you two can finally settle this once and for all.

KUHN: You bet, I’m gonna be a little more fired up than usual.

EISEN: Thanks, Tommy for joining us on Ice Cam!

BRUMLEY: Good luck, TK!

KUHN: Thanks for having me, guys!

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-06-2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:32 PM   #57
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

They're Baaack!

Ice trade back into first round, stockpile 15 draft picks

Free Agency Stage 4, 2007

Portland, OR (AP) – After pulling off a blockbuster trade that sent both of Oregon’s first-round draft selections to the Chicago Hitmen just six weeks ago, the Ice are back into the first round after last-minute trade with the Durham Bulldogs.

The deal nets the Ice four more draft picks: the Bulldog’s first (30th overall), second (62nd overall), fifth (159th overall), and seventh (223rd overall) round selections. That brings the total number of Oregon draft picks this year to an incredible 15, including two second-rounders, two third-rounders and four seventh-rounders.

In exchange, the Bulldogs get Oregon’s four remaining draft picks for 2008: first, second, sixth and seventh round selections.

“This is a great deal for both teams,” said Oregon GM Jack “Grid” Iron. “It made sense for us to get as many picks in this draft as possible because this group is very deep in our areas of need.”

Sources say that Oregon traded back into the first round after a private workout with Iowa State tackle Quentin Castillo. “Oregon needs to add a big, strong tackle in this draft, and Castillo would be a perfect fit,” said CFL Network draft analyst Kerry Herod, who played right guard for the Ice during the team's 2003 championship season. “This was a brilliant move. . . so long as Castillo is still on the board when the Ice are on the clock.”

Castillo, who stands 6’7” and weighs in at 322 pounds, ranks as the strongest offensive tackle in the draft, chalking up 35 repetitions in the bench press. He’s also quick, recording the third-fastest 40-yard dash time among offensive tackles with a 5.12 second mark.

“He’s gonna make some team very happy,” said a cagey Oregon Coach Kendrick Upshaw of the All-Big 12 lineman, who didn’t allow a sack and recorded 40 key run blocks in 80 chances in 2006. “We’d love it if he fell to us, but we’re keeping our options open.”

Castillo, nicknamed "Monster" by his teammates, is just hoping to go in the first round. "It's always been my dream to play in the CFL, and to be a first-round pick would be icing on the cake," he said from his Hamilton, Montana, home. "I'm definitely think I can contribute immediately, no matter who takes me."

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-07-2005 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:28 PM   #58
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

The Messy Sock Drawer:

Oscar Madison's CFL Draft Analysis

First Round, 2007

New York Herald sportswriter Oscar Madison is closely following the CFL draft pick-by-pick. Below is Oscar’s take on Oregon’s first-round selection, Southern Methodist University nose tackle Gilbert Penman. Oregon’s next pick is number 27 in the second round.

You can catch all the 2007 CFL draft action here.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-12-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:30 AM   #59
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

The Messy Sock Drawer:

Second Round, 2007

New York Herald sportswriter Oscar Madison is closely following the CFL draft pick-by-pick. Below is Oscar’s take on the first of Oregon’s two second-round selections, Kansas State offensive right tackle Marty Covington. Oregon’s next pick is number 30 in the second round.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-12-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #60
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Hey, I thought Oscar had stopped posting at around 1.15...

How come you get special attention?

(those are awesome btw)
Old 05-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #61
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic flying froggies
Hey, I thought Oscar had stopped posting at around 1.15...

How come you get special attention?

I know people in low places. . .
Old 05-12-2005, 08:31 PM   #62
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

The Messy Sock Drawer:

Second Round, 2007

New York Herald sportswriter Oscar Madison is closely following the CFL draft pick-by-pick. Below is Oscar’s take on the second of Oregon’s two second-round selections, Iowa cornerback Warren Allen. Oregon’s next pick is number nine (9) in the third round.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-12-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:15 PM   #63
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

The Messy Sock Drawer:

Third Round, 2007

New York Herald sportswriter Oscar Madison is closely following the CFL draft pick-by-pick. Below is Oscar’s take on the first of Oregon’s two third-round selections, Notre Dame cornerback Alonzo Bishop. Oregon’s next pick is number 11 in the third round.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-12-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:18 PM   #64
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

The Messy Sock Drawer:

Third Round, 2007

New York Herald sportswriter Oscar Madison is closely following the CFL draft pick-by-pick. Below is Oscar’s take on the second of Oregon’s two third-round selections, Tennessee wide receiver Cornelius Webster. Oregon’s next pick is number 27 in the fourth round.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-12-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:25 PM   #65
JeeberD
General Manager

Bah, Webster is by far the less talented of the two receivers named Cornelius...

Old 05-13-2005, 09:31 AM   #66
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Bah, Webster is by far the less talented of the two receivers named Cornelius...

Are you trying to incite another war of words?

How long 'til Week 3 anyway?

We need to settle this smack talk once and for all. . .

Old 05-13-2005, 11:03 AM   #67
JeeberD
General Manager

Probably should keep my mouth closed after the way I made a fool of myself last time...

Old 05-16-2005, 08:15 PM   #68
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

The Messy Sock Drawer:

Fourth Round, 2007

New York Herald sportswriter Oscar Madison is closely following the CFL draft pick-by-pick. Below is Oscar’s take on Oregon's fourth-round pick, Kentucky fullback Bubba Sweeney. Up next will be Oscar's draft grade for the Oregon Ice.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:47 PM   #69
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

The Messy Sock Drawer:

Oscar Madison's CFL Draft Grades

Post-Draft, 2007

Oregon Ice: B+

The Ice failed to get a top-tier running back, the team’s only pressing need, but added tremendous depth up and down the roster. NT Gilbert Penman (1.30) and FB Bubba Sweeney (4.27) both have All-League potential, while RT Marty Covington (2.27) and WR Cornelius Webster (3.11) project to be solid starters. FS Geoff Gerhardt (5.28) is a developmental project, but could eventually win a starting job. RB Dan Treadway (7.28) could get a lot of carries this year, while RB Luke Blades (6.28) might see some time as a situational third-down back. CB Warren Allen (2.30) and CB Alonzo Bishop (3.11) should see time in nickel and dime packages. WR Ted Bibla (7.12) projects to be the team's new punt returner.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: After the draft, I had a great surprise as FB Bubba Sweeney, my fourth round pick, went from 30/57 to 51/80! FS Geoff Gerhardt, who I took in the fifth round, improved from 17/49 to 21/54. The biggest bust was CB Alonzo Bishop, a third round selection, who dropped from 10/52 to 0/21.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-16-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:16 PM   #70
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

The Cornelius Chronicles

Training Camp, 2007

Former Tennessee wide receiver Cornelius Webster will be documenting his first season as a pro for the CFL Network! Check back often to hear latest from Oregon's trash-talking rookie!

What up peeps? If you don't know me, you should. I'm the latest, and soon to be greatest, wide receiver in the CFL! My name is Cornelius Webster, but everyone calls me "Spiderman." I'll be checking in every now and then to fill you all in on my rookie season!

Now that the draft is finally over and my contract is signed, I've been able to get down to doing what I do best--playing football. Training camp was tough, adjusting to the speed of the pro game. I thought I was fast, but so are most of the guys on my team.

The coaches worked me hard, and I think I did pretty well. I only dropped one pass, and made a few one-handed catches. Learning from Matt Brunner and Roy Alden is one of the best opportunities a rookie wide receiver could ever have. Those guys are two of the best in the game.

I funniest thing about training camp was how much everyone was talking trash about El Paso, and how the team is really gonna be up for that game in Week 3. I'm already dreaming of catching an 80-yard touchdown on the final play to win the ball game. We're comin' for ya, bottle rockets!

Life as a rookie hasn't been that bad. My agent got me a three-year $2.2 million deal with a $780K bonus, so I bought a Hummer H2 and used the rest for a down payment on my new crib--a penthouse in downtown Portland.

Well, I gotta go but check back soon when I report on my performance in the preseason!

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-24-2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:41 PM   #71
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

2007 Season Preview

Expectations could not be higher this year, as the Oregon Ice make a push to get deeper into the playoffs. Coming off a successful 11-5 division winning campaign last year, the Ice got the defensive line help they needed in the offseason, and kept the team’s high-octane offense intact.

The big question will be whether starting quarterback Thomas Kuhn will be able to repeat his incredible performance from 2006.

Opening Day Roster

Player               #   Pos   Start Exp  Rating
Kuhn, Thomas 11 QB QB 13 36/36
Creveling, Walter 9 QB 3 12/47
Upshaw, Jesse 8 QB 1 11/28
Thomas Kuhn was one of the best in the league over the second half last year.
Saunders, Richard    22  RB          6    29/32
Treadway, Dan 49 RB RB 1 25/34
Malone, Alan 47 RB 1 26/35
##Blades, Luke 24 RB 1 19/29
Savoy, Emanuel 42 FB 10 57/57
Sweeney, Bubba 21 FB FB 1 53/79
Rookie Dan Treadway will get the starting nod, but the Ice backfield will be running back by committee this year. Rookie FB Bubba Sweeney will get a lot of carries.
Begin, Newton        89  TE    TE    14   65/70
Montgomery, Jerry 13 TE 1 18/36
Brunner, Matt 87 FL FL 10 58/58
Webster, Cornelius 85 FL 1 31/48
Bibla, Ted 5 FL 1 16/36
Dillon, Kendrick 83 SE 9 27/29
Roy, Alden 86 SE SE 14 55/58
The Ice are loaded at receiver and rookie WR Cornelius Webster has star potential. Given Oregon's wide-open offense, everyone should get plenty of balls thrown their way.
Ludwig, Korey        54  C     C     10   67/71
Elliott, Kendall 58 C 5 27/43
Honeycutt, Kim 77 LG LG 9 87/91
Stoy, Deon 79 LG 1 10/34
Eaddy, Richard 75 RG RG 7 42/49
Wynn, Andre 73 RG 4 20/47
Klein, Chris 68 LT LT 12 51/51
Harris, Dominic 69 LT 1 12/34
Stallings, Marvin 62 RT RT 4 27/43
Covington, Marty 64 RT 1 28/48
Perennial All-League LG Kim Honeycutt should improve the running game and cut down on sacks.
Shehee, Jay           7  P           4    94/94
Schanding, Craig 1 K 3 94/94
The best kicker-punter combo in the league, hands down.
Diggs, Fredric       97  LDE   LDE   8    60/63
Flannery, Wendell 91 LDE 3 29/43
Zwillinger, Kerry 92 LDE 1 22/34
Vanegas, Brian 76 RDE RDE 13 71/76
Weatherly, Floyd 98 RDE 2 38/48
Munro, Everette 90 NT NT 5 50/64
Penman, Gilbert 78 NT 1 33/53
This group is very solid and could develop into one of the best in the league this year.
Pinard, Jerrell      50  SILB  SILB  11   60/63
Molloy, Damon 95 WILB WILB 16 54/58
Thompson, Terrance 93 WILB 1 21/39
Macaluso, Brian 53 SLB SLB 9 55/69
Beane, Daniel 51 WLB WLB 8 67/71
Lance, Ken 99 WLB 12 34/38
Gunn, Calvin 56 WLB 1 17/35
This group isn't flashy, but gets the job done.
Pilcher, Orlando     33  LCB   LCB   12   69/69
Trippi, Craig 31 LCB 2 21/39
Adrine, Brant 41 LCB 1 12/27
Reagan, Tommy 30 RCB RCB 9 43/43
Allen, Warren 44 RCB 1 18/40
Jefferson, Wally 38 RCB 1 12/31
Twombly, Alphonso 35 SS SS 9 77/77
Clarkson, Matthew 46 SS 12 47/47
Lerma, Donnell 26 FS FS 17 53/53
Huth, Rodney 23 FS 9 44/44
Gerhardt, Geoff 37 FS 1 25/51
The Ice look solid at safety, but due to cap constraints and poor draft picks the team is again in trouble at right corner.

Salary Cap Status

Salary Cap: $92,600,000
Cap Room: $1,380,000
Maximum for New Player: $1,380,000
Cap Room Lost (to old contracts): $9,630,000

Cap Room Lost Next Year (to old contracts): $3,970,000
Cap Room Required Next Year: $94,260,000

Schedule

The Ice schedule this season is going to be particularly brutal.

The team plays nine of its 16 games against clubs that finished last year with at least 10 wins, and must also play a greatly improved Anchorage team that could challenge for the division title.

Moreover, Oregon must play the reigning CFL champions, the Honolulu Blue Pacific, as well as the Eastern Conference champion Detroit Vampires, on the road.

Here is the complete 2007 schedule:
Week 1    at Anchorage Wolfpack
Week 2 CHICAGO HITMEN
Week 3 at El Paso Rockets
Week 4 TUCSON TOROS
Week 5 at Honolulu Blue Pacifi
Week 6 at Las Vegas Rounders
Week 7 at Boise Stampede
Week 8 ANCHORAGE WOLFPACK
Week 9 ARIZONA OUTLAWS
Week 10 OPEN
Week 11 at Seattle Thunderbirds
Week 12 ALBANY (NY) CROWS
Week 13 SACRAMENTO DRAGONS
Week 14 at Cleveland Flats
Week 15 SEATTLE THUNDERBIRDS
Week 16 at Detroit Vampires
Week 17 BOISE STAMPEDE

Author's Goals

Given the difficulty of the Ice schedule, I have just one goal this year: make the playoffs. Another division title would be sweet, but that’s a bit of a reach.

I’m hoping I can get a wild card with a 10-6 record, which is a realistic possibility if I don't have any major injuries.