Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2003, 05:52 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Poppies From The Terrace...A Different CM4 Dynasty

I once saw someone here undertake this, but they didn't get far. I thought at the time that it was a brilliant idea, so to whomever first came up with it, my nod to you.

Now here's the deal. I'm going to do a Kettering Town dynasty. But it will all be done from an outside perspective. I will use fan perspectives (both at the ground and in any number of other areas--at the home by the radio or watching the telly, at the pub, who knows where), radio and TV accounts from a listener/watcher's perspective, and newspaper/Internet accounts.

There will be no inner thoughts of managers and chairmen except what gets out to the public (through various channels); no ratings by the number (those don't exist in real life--just qualitative measurements); and what information is followed is essentially chosen by the fans/newspapers/sources accounted for in this dynasty--who are all clearly biased to local and national football only.

The primary fan I will center on will be a 34-year-old booking agent named Peter Tenford, born and raised in Kettering Town and a Poppies' fan for life.

For those of you not aware (given most of you will be Americans, so probably most of you ), Kettering Town was just promoted to the Nationwide Conference from the Southern League, a lower non-League (note the capitalization) table. The Poppies actually stayed there just a year, after being relegated from the Conference in 2000-01. Prior to that relegation, Kettering had been a regular member of the Conference for 30 years. They have never won promotion to the League.

Kettering Town is about 130 km northwest of London, more north than west. It's an hour by rail, and about an hour-and-ahalf to two hours by auto.

You'll meet Peter next.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 06:55 PM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

June 13, 2002

Greetings, all.

My name is Peter, and I am a Poppie supporter. I was born and raised right in this very home in Kettering Town. Apart from doing some schooling in the City, I have lived here the whole of my life. In fact, the Tenford name (that's my surname) in the area goes back to at least the 15th century, or at least that's what my great-aunt says.

I make my living as a booking agent at the local Wicksteed Park. For those of you blokes who aren't aware of it, Wicksteed is a leisure park nearby here. In fact, it was the first of its kind, opened in 1921. It's for the kiddies for the most part, although we have some stuff for the parents too. I'm responsible for scheduling events at the park. You know, Kidney walks, Old Folks' Days and the like. I do a lot of Poppie promos, of course, but I never seemt o talk to anyone over there besides their PR department.

Kettering is a nice, small town, just the way I like it. Northampton isn't too far away, and it has some size to it, and the City is an hour away by rail. We're close enough to not be in the middle of nowhere, but far enough away to not be affected too much by big city life. We're just north of the Midlands area, and it's simply beautiful here, I think. Plenty of unspoilt countryside, and good, earnest people.

And we're all footy fans, particular of the Poppies, the local club since ole Queen Victoria had dark hair. The Poppies started up in 1872, and my great-great-granda was a fullback for those early squads, to hear tell of it from my own late granda. My father's father was a funny man. He said his grandda was a lean, fierce man and a hell of a player by all accounts. But years of marrying fatty wenches from Northant (that's Northampton) have deprived us Tenford males of our more skilled physical attributes, leaving us mostly a dumpy lot. I couldn't disagree-- I am dumpy looking, too.

I was practically born in the terraces of Rockingham Road. Literally. My mum went into labor at a 1968 home match with Bromsgrove. My granda said my father confided that he would donate me to an orphanage if Kettering lost that match, and set me up for life if the Poppies won. It was a draw, of course, so da never knew just what to do with me.

Rockingham is the home ground of the Poppies, in case you didn't figure that out. It's old now, but it's holding together okay, after a few revisions over the years. I spent much of my formative years there, and when I returned from London to take on my current job, I went pubbing with some of the younger players, and bought my first season tickets. I have been a ticket holder since, and am a 29-year member of the Kettering Town Poppies Supporter Trust (my da signed me up).

The name of Peter has been a bit of a curse for me of late. It turns out that bloody wanker Peter Morris, the old manager that got us relegated last year, shares his name with me, much to my horror. And to heap it on, the chairman, Peter Mallinger, or The Mallingerer as I and others have taken to calling him, is also sharing my name whilst running the club into the ground. This is his 9th year as club owner. So, many of my closest fellow Poppies fans have taken to calling me Tenford instead of Peter. Given there are about 7-8 male other male Tenfords, including my da, in the area, that can be a problem, but I have learned to deal with it. I just blame The Mallingerer and that bastard Morris.

The Poppies have just returned to the Conference, the top semi-pro league, after an exciting run in the Southern League this past season. Unfortunately, despite that success, the club is ina muck right now, because former player-manager Carl Shutt had a falling out with The Mallingerer and got himself sacked. It's very upsetting, because he was a leader both on the pitch and off. He singlehandedly turned around Morris's side and got us back to the top.

Now I am left to wonder just who they think will do a better job at this point. The season is fast approaching, and we need a manager.

Peter Tenford

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-10-2003 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:58 PM   #3
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Why do I keep reading Poppies as Poopies?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 07:35 PM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
Why do I keep reading Poppies as Poopies?

That's your problem, iilini.

CR

Old 05-10-2003, 07:55 PM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

June 13, 2002

I was nursing a Guiness after work when Bobby Radcliffe sat down across from me at the pub.

"Pete," he said--he was one of the few that still called me by my first name," have you heard the news?"

"What's that?" I asked, ready for some Radcliffe tale that blows things way out of proportion with their actual merit.

"You know Murray Chatham, the caretaker's assistant at the Rock?" he asked, with some excitement.

"'Course. What of him?"

"Well, he was sodding some new grass by the east end of the ground, when he saw The Mallingerer and some of his flunkies show up," Bobby said, before his eyes narrowed mischieviously, "and they had someone with 'em he didn't recognize."

"Really?" Hmm, maybe Bobby had something after all. "A new manager?"

"Murray didn't know, but the new guy was definitely getting a grand tour of the facilities," he said. "The Mallingerer didn't introduce him to Chatham, of course."

"Murray is practically a charter member of the Trust, and he's seventy-something years old. Are you sure he didn't recognize the chap?" I asked, surprised. "Ida thought there wouldn't be a single manager or coach above the Southern and Midland leagues that he didn't know by face."

"He said he didn't, Pete. Maybe the guy isn't a known name."

Touché, Bobby.

"I guess we'll have to wait until the announce something before we figure out what's going on," I lamented. "Those buggers working for the Malingerer are tighter on things like this than old Arse's D."

Peter Tenford

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-10-2003 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:27 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

June 14, 2002

Bloody Hell!

Northampton Chronicle & Echo

Poppies Hire Unknown Manager

KETTERING-- Kettering Town FC board chairman Peter Mallinger announced late last night that Matthew Kieta, a relative unknown in the football world, would be taking over the reigns of the Poppies for this upcoming season.

"We are very pleased with this hire, and think that the supporters will be pleasantly surprised at the quality of job Matthew Kieta will bring to the position," Mallinger said in a phone interview.

Kieta himself was not made available for comment, but Mallinger said he is in town and will be introduced to the townfolk and media at a news conference scheduled at 2 p.m. today in front of Rockingham Road's main entrance.

The hire was announced with an evening hour press release, before the nightly news could get it, but Mallinger insisted the late announcement was merely a coincidence and was in no way an effort to shirk the media spotlight that normally accompanies such a move.

Mallinger said a factsheet would be distributed detailing Kieta's experience at the press conference.

Well regarded midfielder Shaun Murray, reached at his offseason home in Newcastle, wouldn't commit to an opinion on the new manager.

"I haven't heard of him," Murray said. "But I am willing to give him a shot. We need a manager, with Carl [Shutt] gone now, and I have to think this late in the season, the pickings are slim. I'll meet the man and then we'll see."

Murray is expected to be a field leader for the Poppies this year, especially with Shutt having been sacked. Shutt led the Poppies back to the Conference last year as a player-manager, but reportedly had a falling out with Mallinger near the end of the season that led to his firing.

Supporter Trust chairman Dave Tailby could not be reached for comment at the late hour.

What on Earth is going on?

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-10-2003 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:42 PM   #7
Radii
Head Coach

Nice I'll be reading with interest!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 09:18 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, Radii. I hope I can keep it interesting. BTW, to any and all readers, I'm not above taking suggestions about what to reveal. If you want to know something, and I don't have a better reason to keep it quiet, let me know and I'll get it leaked to the dynasty somehow.

Chief Rum

Old 05-10-2003, 10:46 PM   #9
RonnieDobbs
High School JV

Excellent idea CR. I personally prefer it being done straight, with no reference to things an average fan would know. It'll then be like following a real team; you wouldn't know your striker is a 16, for example (oh god I hope that SAAP guy doesn't read that ), you'd only know that he's considered one of the best strikers in the division or something.

Very excited to keep reading, as I find most CM dynasties to be very intriguing (including your past effort).

Proud Manager of the BOSTON WYCKYD SCEPTRE
Also attempting to Right The Ship with the Clippers
RonnieDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 11:13 PM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by RonnieDobbs
Excellent idea CR. I personally prefer it being done straight, with no reference to things an average fan would know. It'll then be like following a real team; you wouldn't know your striker is a 16, for example (oh god I hope that SAAP guy doesn't read that ), you'd only know that he's considered one of the best strikers in the division or something.

Very excited to keep reading, as I find most CM dynasties to be very intriguing (including your past effort).

Shhh...best we not get Mac excited that someone might actually agree with that his approach to the game is more realistic.

But, yeah, that's the point. A fan wouldn't know that stuff. Neither would the news reports. Heck, technically, the coaching staff wouldn't know it unless they set up some sort of classification system. That's the idea.

Chief Rum

Old 05-11-2003, 12:06 AM   #11
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

June 14, 2002

Kettering Press Conference

A sampling of media and a good-sized group of standers-by gather under a canopy near the front entrance to Rockingham Road. Underneath the canopy, a small stage and a podium have been set up, as well as a side table of refreshments. A handful of watchful security guards are keeping the more unruly townfolk from the canopy, although their biggest test is between the fans and the table off to the side. Apparently some have utilized their lunch breaks to attend the occasion. The media is almost all newspaper and Internet reporters. There is a representative from the local radio station that broadcasts Kettering games, but no TV cameras.

A side door leading from some team offices under the stands opens, and Peter Mallinger walks out with several of his closest underlings, assistant coach Chris Swift, and an unknown man who all figure can only be Matthew Kieta himself.

Kieta is a youngish looking sort, which isn't a surprise given that Mallinger said he is just 30 years old. He is blond, soft looking, short and dumpy like the Tenfords. The spectators groaned at the sight of him.

Mallinger spoke for a few moments to introduce Kieta, calling it "a new era in Poppie football". Then he stepped aside and allowed Kieta to approach the pdium.

Kieta: Thank you all for coming. I'm really excited for this opportunity. The organization is a great one, and there's nothing better than English ball. I think there are some good players here in Kettering, and together we can do great things. I look forward to the good townsfolk of Kettering Town joining with us in what will doubtless be the beginning of a strong march to the top. And thank you again to Mr. Mallinger, who was kind enough and wise enough to give a guy like me a chance to really turn the Conference on its heels. I know and believe that we can do that. Now, are there any questions? (Gallery buzzes. Kieta points to a hand near the front.) Yes?

A reporter: Who the bloody hell are you?

(The gallery buzzes with laughter, which Kieta takes in stride, grinning and laughing at the wit with the media.)

Kieta: Fair question, I guess. Did you arrive late and not get my resumé? (More laughter from the gallery.) Seriously, though, I don't know what more I can tell you than what we have there. I played football in the States, for the University of California at Los Angeles. As you are all probably aware, the Americans have a very advanced collegiate system that serves somewhat like a reserve system for them. UCLA is one such school--in fact, it is rather reknowned there in the sport the Americans call "soccer".

(Snickers from gallery at the idiocy of Americans. Kieta allows the buzz to die down.)

You'll find me on some roster sheets for the Bruins in the early-to-mid-90s, but I wasn't very good. (More laughter.) I made a good impression on the coaches there, though, and was hired on as an assistant after my schooling was completed. In three years, I moved up to the top assistant's spot there, before I was offered the chance to head coach--that's basically a manager's position--at Cal Poly Pomona, a California school playing Division II footy. UCLA plays Division I. In my five years at Cal Poly, I amassed three CCAA championships--the CCAA was the local Division II table--and last year won a national championship for D-II. I guess that's like the American reserve equivalent to a Champions League championship, although on a much lower level, of course. (Winks at the crowd; the reporters and even some of the townsfolk are warming to his personable approach and glibness.)

The first reporter: Boy, that's a mouthful!

laughter

Kieta: I'll say. Now go get the darn fact sheet, so I don't have to repeat myself. (more gallery laughter) You sir?

Second reporter: It says here you're English?

Kieta: By birth and some of my early years. I was born in a borough just outside of Manchester and lived there for five years. Then my father had an opportunity in the States, and we moved to California on the far west coast of North America. I grew up there, but played footy the entire time. I have always loved the sport. I still maintain dual English and American citizenship. (looks for another question) Yes?

Third reporter: Why you? (some laughter)

Kieta: Why did Mr. Mallinger pick me? Well, you'll have to ask him that, although I can guess that he must feel I was the best for the job. And I agree with him. (That last done deadpan. More chuckles from the crowd. After the buzz dies down, Kieta goes on.) I'm sure that more apparently (stesses this last) qualified candidates might have suited some people better than an unknown name from America, but I am confident I'm the right choice for the job. Mr. Mallinger was very exacting in how he wanted this job performed and the qualities he wanted from a manager, and quite frankly, I believe I suited them to a tee.

Third reporter again: So you think you would have been hired in April in the same situation?

Kieta: Well, technically, I understand that the search for a manager has been ongoing since April, so I was hired from a process that began then. That said, were the decision made in April, I'm sure that the longer list of candidates available then would have cut into my chances a bit. Fortunately, it did not end up happening, and here I am. You in the back?

Fourth reporter: Have you spoken with any of the players?

Kieta: Some. I spoke with a few of the guys last night and this morning by phone. I have also met Craig Norman, who lives here in Kettering. I also spoke with former manager Carl Shutt to get an early read on the returning players. (Winks conspiratorially at the crowd.) I got the chairman's permission for that one. (Laughter from the gallery.) I will try to contact all of the players by the end of tomorrow, and preseason drills will began in a couple weeks, when I will meet with all of the players. Yes?

Second reporter again: Care to make any predicitions?

(Kieta just grins. The media crowd laughs at the pause.)

Kieta: I don't think that I'll have a good idea of that just yet. We'll have to see when I meet with and train with the players. The Poppies won the Southern League last year, but as you are all well aware, the Nationwide Conference is another matter entirely. I'm going to carefully examine the talent that we have, and if I can't make it work with the parts that are here, I'll go out looking for what I need.

Second reporter again: Does that mean you have a transfer budget?

Kieta: Actually, I currently do not know, although Mr. Mallinger has assured me that I will have the financial support when I need it. (The townsfolk in the distance give an audible groan, since they are familiar with The Mallingerer's promises in this respect. Mallinger silently turns beet red, but maintains his composure behind Kieta, who doesn't notice.) But I have a budget I think I can work with. But first things first. I need to see if any changes need to be made before I go and make them. Yes?

Fifth reporter: Mr. Kieta, will you be playing for the Poppies?

Kieta: Don't you want the team to get better? (Gallery erupts in laughter.) No, I don't think you want a soft dumpling like me in the backfield. Besides, we already havce some solid, young kids on defense. As for offense, I can't shoot a lick. (More chuckles) Well, everyone, I really must be going. I have to get started, and I intend to do so without delay. Thank you for your time, and if you ever need to reach me, just call our fine PR department, and I will get back to you. Thank you and good day.

(Kieta strides off of the stage and back through the door into the Rock's stony underbelly, leaving more questions behind him.)

Chief Rum

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-11-2003 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:37 AM   #12
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Koolness. Keep it up
Old 05-11-2003, 12:58 AM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by SirFozzie
Koolness. Keep it up

I plan to.

CR

Old 05-11-2003, 01:44 AM   #14
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

CR - great so far and looking forward to more updates.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:32 AM   #15
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Chief, you know you write great dynasties, and they are very detailed, but a soccer one.....I don't know if I can stick with it.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 02:48 AM   #16
tucker342
Pro Starter

Good stuff so far CR!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 09:39 AM   #17
condors
College Starter

very nice writeup.
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 10:23 AM   #18
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Hey, neat idea.

As somebody still dipping his toe into the shallow end of the vast pool of CM4, I'm going to read this one with relish.

Stu
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 03:20 PM   #19
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the responses, all.

GoldenEagle: I'm working up the next update, but I probably won't get it up in time. I have to work tonight. But I will probably get it up later tonight.

Marmel: Give it a shot. You never know.

tucker342: Thanks!

condors: Thanks! (broken record... )

WussGawd: I have been known to increase game sales with my dynasties. You are forewarned.

Seriously, though, I just try and write what I find interesting and fortunately enough for me, others seem to find it interesting as well. Glad you like it so far. I hope to get an update up tonight.

See you around the ground, guys.

Chief Rum

Old 05-12-2003, 03:00 PM   #20
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

July 10, 2002

Northant Evening Telegraph

What's Going On With The Poppies?

by Roger Terndon

In all my years of covering Northant sports, I'm not sure I have ever seen the confusion that abounds regarding those Poppies up the road. It must be driving the Kettering folk mad.

The practices are closed. No one can get in. The players are under lock and key. There was even a report that the club bus was seen leaving the Rock a couple weeks ago, purportedly to some unknown location to practice away from roving eyes.

But we know they haven't added anybody. No transfers or loans have been announced. Other managers are saying that new manager Matthew Kieta has not gotten back to them as of yet on some of their offers, or even on congratulations for acquiring the job. Kieta reportedly hasn't even added anyone to his staff yet. And we're even hearing rumors filtering out of the team offices that the players might not be match-ready, although that is certainly not a surprise here in early July.

This entire affair just drubs me up wrong. The strange hire of this unknown manager. The secrecy. The fact that this side, for all of its achievements in the Southern league last year, is missing components of that team, like the sacked Carl Shuttm that, without whom, will certainly put it in a fight to stay above relegation this year.

What is The Mallingerer and his new henchman up to? Do they even care about this club anymore? Or the good folk of Kettering? My guess is that Mallinger is just looking to sell the team and avoiding taking on any big contracts at the moment. It’s patently obvious this new manager is just another one of his yes-men. Saints be with us if Mallinger hasn’t figured out that a Conference side is worth a heck of a lot more than a Southern League semi-pro hack squad.

Actually, it seems to me that the townsfolk are inordinately optimistic, considering what we have heard so far. You have to feel for these people, putting up such a good face in a situation like this. Part of that is how well this Mr. Kieta has handled himself in his few scrapes with the media thus far. Part of it is the Southern League championship and the return to the Nationwide. Part of it is just that sense of every new season being a new opportunity as well.

I pray that their faith is well-founded, but I fear otherwise. Mayhaps we shall discover what kind of lot these Poppies are in five days—when they play their first friendly against Bournemouth.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-03-2003 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-31-2003, 01:54 AM   #21
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm back!

I had some issues with how the game was going to run, and I also ran out of time. Some other things came up, like Avlis, that got in the way. But I have always been itching to give CM4 a good run, so I am back to keep this dynasty going.

If you have been following my CM threads in General Discussion, you know that I have ARSEd my copy. I have also switched over to a large database with fewer leagues, for the simple reason that I hear it is very hard to find the kind of free transfer players I'll need as a Lower League Manager with the smaller databases. Since I'm going to be writing as I go along, of course, speed should not be an issue.

Go Poppies!

Chief Rum

Old 05-31-2003, 08:41 AM   #22
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

What do you mean ARESEd your copy?
Old 05-31-2003, 11:38 AM   #23
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Woohoo! Looking forward to it Chief!
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 06:56 PM   #24
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

July 12, 2002

Radio show intro music dies away...

Announcer Tommy Ridgely: Well, welcome again, footy fans to our weekly addition of Popping Off, where we bring you all the news, highlights, rumors and interviews about your favorite local side, the Kettering Town Poppies.

Today, we have a special treat for you. Yes, indeed, as advertisaed, we have none other than the up until now evasive new manager of the club, Mr. Matthew Kieta, sitting right here to let us in on what has been happening with the team.

We'll get to Mr. Kieta in a second. First I wanted to remind folks to tune in right here for Monday's season-opening friendly against the Cherries of Bournemouth! It's always nice to start off the season by Popping a Cherry!...Okay, maybe that went to far...my producer is giving me the evil eye, although Mr. Kieta seems to enjoy it.

Back to the game. It's at 7:30 folks, this coming Monday, July 15, and while it is at ther Rock, I know plenty of you will be tuning in from work or from the stand itself, so be sure to check in here to listen to the Poppies' return to the pinnacle of semipro footy after a year away beating up ont he dregs of the Southern League.

Now let's return to the matter at hand. Mr. Kieta, welcome to Popping Off.

Kieta: Thank you, Tommy. Please call me Matt. I have been looking forward to the opportunity of letting the fans know how things are going with the Poppies.

Ridgely: Indeed, sir. And how are they going?

Kieta: They are well. The guys are working hard to get ready for the season. We still have a lot of preseason to go, though, and I am looking forward to seeing how they play together in a live match.

Ridgely: Matt, you're just 30 and up until now, you have been dealing with American kids in their teens. What's it like now having to handle the personalities of a group of grown men, a few of whom are older than you? I mean, your keeper is 36!

Kieta: I will admit, it is a learning experience. But perhaps not as much as you would think. Back Stateside, I always made an effort to treat the kids with utter respect and as adults. I expected them to act like adults, and they expected me to treat them as such. I find that approach works just as well here, with the difference being that for much of the squad, there is no doubt these are grown men. I expect a certain standard of professionalism, and I am happy to say that the team, to a man, has been very open to what I am trying to do, and have been working quite hard.

Ridgely: No complaints at all about any of the individuals on the team?

Kieta: (laughs) Well, as with any group of individuals, there are varying levels of efforts from different players. And it varies as time goes by as well. But, no, I don't have any complaints at all about this group. They have been very consistent, and I am quite proud of the progress they have made.

Ridgely: Will the side be ready for Monday's match in Bournemouth?

Kieta: They will be as ready as any squad at this point. Most of them aren't ready to play a full 90 yet, so we will likely throw most of the men out on the pitch at some point. We have five more friendlies after that, so I need to keep the guys as rested as I can.

Ridgely: How have you been getting along with everyone?

Kieta: Very well. As I said before, the players all know what I am trying to do, and we are all working toward the same goal. We want to make this team competiive in the Nationwide this year. I don't plan on living ont he edge of relegation all season.

Ridgely: Is that a prediction?

Kieta: (laughs) I thought you might say that. No, it's just a goal. Do I think the team can do it? I think so. We have some good players on this squad. If we can get them to buy into the system, then I think we can make something happen.

Ridgely: Ah, the system. Last year, Mr. Shutt used a wide-open attacking plan to dominate the Southern League, partly, of course, because he was one of those attackers. Will that work at the Conference level? Or do you have another plan?

Kieta: I have a lot of respect for what Carl did with this side last year, and on some levels, that attacking style will work. I admire it myself and would love to have a team that could use it at a high level like the Nationwide. But I just don't think we have the horses up front just yet to make it work. This team has a strong defensive backbone, and that is what I am basing my system on.

Ridgely: So you'll be playing "boring" ball then?

Kieta: I would hardly say that. It's just more realistic. We aren't deep up front, and we can't afford to tire the shooters out. Defense is a team effort, and even the guys up front are a part of that effort.

Ridgely: So what exactly is the system you will be using?

Kieta: We're going to throw a lot of men in the backfield. A standard 4-4-2, maybe a 4-5-1, with some variations, to start. We'll do a lot of closing down in our own end, and we may employ a counter attack. On offense, we'll use all ends of the pitch to advance the ball, but in the end, we'll rely on the quickness of our front people to give us an advantage in front of the box. If I can acquire some more depth at forward and int he midfield, we might be able to expand to some more offensive formations somewhere down the fixture a bit.

Ridgely: So you are looking for help? The lack of rumors from outside the Rock has been a constant source of discussion among my callers.

Kieta: Oh, yes, of course, we are always looking for that key addition. Not to say that we aren't satisfied with the team in place, but like any side, we have our weaknesses, and I don't know if we can adequately fill those weaknesses from within right now.

Ridgely: Anyone in particular? Any areas?

Kieta: Depth up front and in the midfield. Maybe some taller players and some quick wingers. And we need a lot of depth on a reserve and youth teams as well.

Ridgely: So Peter Mallinger has released the purse strings a bit?

Kieta: Well, I haven't tested the limits of Mr. Mallinger's openess on this subject just yet. He has assured me that if a move needs to and can be made to improve this side with a little extra cash, then he will give it high consideration. I have the highest confidence that the success of this club is his most earnestly-desired interest.

Ridgely: Hmm. So, if you go with the 4-4-2, who starts? Who are the leaders on this squad?

Kieta: There are plenty of standout players here. Ian Bowling is a certain starter in the net, and it's nice to have a veteran keeper like that to serve as the backbone of the defense. I will be relying on him a lot, I think, and he has been very upfront in helping me with that.

Ridgely: And in front of them? Will Howarth start in the center again?

Kieta: Oh, yes, Lee will be a key part of our centre backfield. He is another tough veteran defender, and I truly believe it will take a strong offensive team to beat both him and Bowling when they are on their games. I am also particularly excited about young Danny Holyoak, brought over here from Mansfield. He's just 18, but he can already play a strong backline in the Nationwide.

Ridgely: Word is Wayne Diuk has had some run-ins the past with Mallinger. Where does he fit in to the picture?

Kieta: Well, what's past is past and that does not concern me. Mr. Mallinger, per our agreement prior to my hiring, has been very hands off, and has not given me any instructions beyond the very basics for how to run my side. He has made no comment on Wayne whatsoever, to my knowledge. As for Wayne himself, he has been a model citizen, and will remain a key part of the Poppies' defensive midfield.

Ridgely: Speaking of the midfield, I am thinking that beyond Shaun Murray, we have a lot of questions there. How do you see the midfield coming together?

Kieta: This is going to be a much more direct team in terms of moving the ball. There will be a lot of short passing and quick moves, because I don't quite feel we have the strength up front yet to runa consistent air game in front of the opposition's net. So I am placing a premium on guys who can move and who can pass. And we have some solid options there.

Ridgley: Anyone in particular?

Kieta: Well, for one, Murray is probably our best offensive player, and I plan to utilize him as much as possible. But he will be closer to the net, where we can use his on-ball skills and his nose for the goal. The theme at midfield seems to be Irish. We have brought back Niall Inman, who will likely start on one wing. He was on that last Kettering nationwide team, you know, but he stayed up here with Dover, while the Poppies were in the Southern league. I suspect there will be some resentment from the fans about his decision to stay up here, but Niall will win them over with his play. Davy Williamson is probably our lead man in the center.

Ridgley: You're playing a 4-4-2. Ther ehave to be others, of course.

Kieta: Well, of course. But it's early yet. I am waiting for the match play to see who steps up. The intriguing wildcard in this rotation is Scott Goodwin. We brought him over from Hereford, and it looks like he can play a key role for us. He's a natural left fullback, but I think he can play a little wing as well. I have little doubt he'll be in the lineup. I just haven't decided where yet.

Ridgely: So Murray is up front?

Kieta: Oh, yes, and he will be playing a very important part. He will be the bridge to the box. Murray is such a talented player, that we will be relying on his many skills a lot on the pitch. He can pass and shoot. He's smart. he's veteran, but still relatively young at just 31. He can bring it up, and he can keep it up, too. So he'll be playing somewhat of an attacking midfield spot.

Ridgely: Will Itonga man the other spot? The fans have been very excited about the Arsenal import from Africa.

Kieta: And they should be. Carlin is a natural goalscorer, and he learned well playing for the reserves for Arsenal last year. And kudos to their scouts for picking him up out of the Congo as well. He just knows how to put the ball in the net. He and Murray will be working together a lot.

Ridgely: Quite exciting. I'm looking forward to it already. Well, I fear we have run up to the end of the program. Mr. Kieta--Matt--thank you for stopping by and letting us know what's going on with the Poppies.

Kieta: Thank you for having me. I do hope the fans will come out in force and be that twelfth man we need in the terraces on Monday. Even in a friendly, it's always fun to have a packed stadium.

Ridgely: Well, we'll be there for sure. Good luck to you then, and we'll see you on Monday.

Kieta: Thank you, Tommy. And good day.

Ridgely: Thank you, fans, for listening to another edition of Popping Off with your host, Tommy Ridgely. Be sure to tune in again to Monday's friendly with the Cherries of Bournemouth, visiting our little humble abode of Kettering at the Rock at 7:30. Come see the Poppies return to the highest level of semipro football. And listen to us on your handsets. It will be fun for all

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-01-2003 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:06 PM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
What do you mean ARESEd your copy?

I added the command ARSE to it.

It's easier for me to link to a previous explanation I mad ethen to do it again. So just click the link below and read near the end of the thread.

Link To My Explanation of ARSE

Chief Rum

Old 06-02-2003, 04:36 AM   #26
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

July 15, 2002

"Tenford! Did you read the Telegraph?"

Peter turned in his seat and saw his best friend Andrew Trellis walking over toward his seat, a paper clutched in his hand. He handed him the paper as he settled into his seat beside Peter.

"No, I ran late at the park and had to come here straightaway to catch the match," Peter said. He unfolded the crumpled paper as Andy scanned the pitch for the first time. "What's so big in the paper?"

"I think that must be him," Andy said, pointing at a shorter man standing near Manager Kieta, who was squinting intently at a clipboard. "That must be the new assistant manager!"

"Hmm...?"

"Read the paper, Peter! On page 2. It says the Poppies have hired some Irishman named Tony Brien to be their assistant manager," Andy said, as he reached over and turned the page for me. Peter read the small piece quickly, a newswire bit that obviously just made the press cutoff. "You ever heard of him?"

"No, I haven't," Peter grumped. He didn't like a lot of the moves this new manager had made yet. "What's with all the Irish? Our whole midfield, practically, is from that island, and now here's another, and an unknown to boot, getting an important position like this."

"You got the time?", Andy asked.

"It's just after seven. Match is gonna start soon. You know where William and Randall are?", Peter asked, looking at the two other empty seats on Andy's other side. The four had been season ticket holders for the Poppies for years now.

"I don't think they are making it. Willy had to work late, and you know how Randall's woman is," Andy said, making a face. "She's a shrew if ever I saw one, and you know it would be just like her to hang him up for a night out on the first night of footy in two months. If he was gonna make it, he would have been here by now."

"Oh well," Peter said, surveying the sparsely-crowded stands. "It doesn't seem like much of a crowd is turning out for this one anyway."

"Well, you know how the friendlies are. Everyone hates to come out for the meaningless ones," Andy said.

"True enough. The match is going to start in a few--what say you go grab us a couple pints of Bass, so we can christen this event rightly..."

Halftime

"Good God, have I ever been more bored in my life, Tenford?" asked Andy, incredulously. "It's not that it's scoreless, but we hardly even saw any chances! I'm not even sure the Poppies came into the Cherries' half of the pitch."

"Yes, I know what you mean," Peter said. "It was rather dull, but then, what do you expect from a friendly? It's obvious both sides are pulling their tackles and playing it easy."

"True," Andy admitted. "What did you think of the team?"

"Well, they seem to play well on the defensive end, though we'll have to see how that plays out when they face some real pressure," Peter said. "The offense doesn't really seem to be getting anything going, although Murray has looked good."

"Yeah, he has, but that dark fellow Itonga hasn't even taken one good look at the net yet," Andy groused. "Wasn't he supposed to be the new striker on this side? Eye for the net, my arse."

"Give him a little time, Andy," Peter said. "The Poppies don't even seem to be trying on offense just yet. Maybe Mr. Kieta is just using this match to guage the defense."

"We better hope so," Andy said. "Look, they're coming back out."

64th Minute

"Well, half the starting side is on the bench now. It looks like this one is going to wind up like most friendlies, with a lot of reserves getting what little playing time they will," Andy said. He watched as two more of the Poppies' starters walk off the field.

Whistles go off as play begins again. The Cherries throw the ball in from the bench side on their half of the pitch, and Poppies' midfielder Stefan Dancy approaches a Cherry as he prepares to accept the throw-in. The ball shakes loose a bit in the tumult, and the Cherry shoulders into Dancy to get to the ball. Dancy catches a little shoulder in the face and reacts angrily, shoving the player to the ground. Whistles go off again, as play steps.

"Oh no," Peter groans. "I can see this one coming from a mile away..."

Referee Bob Pollack steps up to Dancy and holds the red card up high. The expression on Dancy's face goes wild as the 18-year-old steps up to the referee to maybe give him a push, too. Shaun Murray intervenes before the young midfielder can reach him. Dancy's cursing can be heard from the stands.

"Quite a mouth on that one," Andy observed. "Now I see why he didn't get much playing time the past couple years."

"Well, he's just a kid, Andy," Peter pointed out. "That's to be expected. Still, to get tossed from a friendly--Good Lord! I mean, look at Kieta. You can just tell he's pissed off right now, and I don't think he's pissed at the ref, if you know what I mean."

"Aye, you're right," Andy said. "Look, he's motioning for Murray to escort Dancy to the bench. I guess we'll have to play this one out short one then. As if we need an excuse to get even more defensive."

"Dancy's gonna miss Thursday's match for this one, maybe more," Peter said. Andy just nodded in agreement as play resumed.

A couple minutes passed in silence, as the Poppies surprisingly pushed deep into Cherry territory. After a scrum near the box, the ball squirted out to the left side of the box. Bournemouth's keeper scrambled to reach the ball, as Murray raced to beat him to it.

"Look at that!" Andy said, rising to his feet. "That Cherry keeper is to far out!"

Peter rose, too, hoping for a score, something, anything to add some excitement to this match.

"Looks like Murray's going to beat him to it, but the keeper has him cloed down."

Murray collects the ball, switches feet and knocks a short flier to the other side of the box. The few fans in the stands get a little louder as Murray's intent becomes clear. Bournemouth's keeper turns and stares for a second in seeming disbelief before scrambling back toward the net.

The ball drifts down on striker Mike McKenzie's foot near the right corner of the box. Defenders are closing in on him, and a fullback has drifted back to the net line, but the keeper is still out of range and McKenzie has an open shot. He rares back and blasts it at the far left corner. The defender, frozen by the shot, can only watch helplessly as the ball sails into the net with a satisfying whump. The stands erupt into cheers and hurrahs as the Poppies mob McKenzie briefly in front of the net.

Andy and Peter are hooting and hollering as well, big smiles on their faces.

90th minute

"No starters left in this one but Bowling," Andy said.

"Yes, and with Mckenzie's goal standing up, it looks like we might take this one," Peter said. But did he speak too soon? The Cherries were keeping the ball well away from the Poppy defenders, playing a short passing game just over the halfline.

Finally, one attacker seemed to find a hole. He was quickly closed down, but not before he curled a tailing shot toward the upper right bar.

"Oh no," Andy groaned. Peter felt it, too. This one was going in. They both rose to their feet in helpless anticipation.

Even from here, they could see Ian Bowling's eyes go wide. His reaction was instantaneous, as he gathered himself for what would have to be an amazing leap. He threw himself toward the ball, hands outstretched, even as the ball moved away from him. It was nearly across the line, when his fingers brushed it off and sent it flying into the bar. It ricochetted back out beyond the box, where another Cherry gathered it up, but was quickly closed down and forced to give it away.

"Unbelievable," Andy croaked. "I can't believe he got his hands on that one! Call me a git for doubting the man. How often has Bowling come through for this squad in the past years?"

Peter merely nodded his agreement, himself struck dumb by the amazing save.

Two minutes later, the refs blew the whistle and this friendly was in the books.

"Well, I'll be!" Peter said. "We beat a solid team here, albeit in a friendly and just a D3 side."

"Yeah, I was surprised, too," Andy said. "We didn't get much offense going, but we did when we had to. We even won shorthanded. And they couldn't crack our defense either."

The two men gather their things and prepare to leave, even as the team gathers by the bench, patting each other on the back. The small crowds are sporadically streaming toward the exits.

"Will you be here Thursday?" Andy asked.

"Likely, though, Peterborough isn't going to be easy," Peter said.

The two men drifted toward the exit.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-02-2003 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:56 AM   #27
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

July 16, 2002

Dancy Receives One-Match Ban

KETTERING-- The Nationwide Conference Football Association has suspended Poppies' midfielder Stefan Dancy for one match for his red card dismissal in Monday's friendly match with AFC Bournemouth.

Dancy received the card after pushing the Cherries' striker Steven Fletcher to the ground in the 64th minute of the match at Kettering Town's Rockingham Road stadium. Dancy appeared to be reacting to a physical scrape with Fletcher over a throw-in.

Despite the infraction, the Poppies went on to defeat the Cherries, 1-0, playing shorthanded, in new manager Matthew Kieta's first match at the head of the club.

Dancy, 18, is expected to play a key role in the Poppies' midfield this season. He will miss Thursday's friendly against Peterborough at the Rock.

Kieta had little comment on the matter when reached at the team offcies. He said he will not appeal the ban, and that any other disciplinary action, if any, would be "internal only".

The Poppy players had the day off, as per a common post-match tradition.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-02-2003 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:16 AM   #28
condors
College Starter

good stuff

looking forward to Peterborough match
Old 06-02-2003, 11:22 AM   #29
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Keep it up! I look forward to more.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:47 PM   #30
wbatl1
High School Varsity

I love the press conferences and briefings. Great Job.

WB
Old 06-02-2003, 10:30 PM   #31
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

At the risk of turning this into a love-fest, I'd like to add my praise. Great work Chief!
Old 06-03-2003, 04:17 AM   #32
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, guys. I'm running the Peterborough match right now, although I haven't decided how to present it yet. Keep on reading.

Chief Rum

Old 06-03-2003, 06:02 AM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

July 19, 2002

Poppy Victory Comes at a Price

KETTERING-- A grievous injury overshadowed an otherwise thrilling night for the Poppies of Kettering.

Irish winger Niall Inman, 24, broke his right leg late in the first half of the Poppies' 1-0 victory over Division Two side Peterborough United at Rockingham Road Thursday night. Inman is epxected to be out until at least January.

"This is a tough blow for Niall, and for the team," new Kettering manager Matthew Kieta told reporters after the match. "It was a very painful injury for him, and we need to be there to support him and get him back to us as soon as he can safely return."

The injury was just one of those freak occurrences that happen often in football. In the 38th minute, Peterborough winger David Farrell was coming up the left side of the pitch with the ball when Inman attempted to close down on him. Inman attempted a slide tackle, but one of his cleats caught in the turf, breaking his leg with his forward momentum. Midfielder Mark Cartlidge replaced Inman, who had to be carried off on a cart in obvious agony.

Cartlidge, as it turns out, would play a key role in the tight defensive match. In the 70th minute, he intercepted a pass from Posh defensive midfielder Dennis Pearce near the midway point of the left flank. He passed forward to a streaking Shaun Murray, who split two defenders to the left corner of the box. Posh keeper Mark Tyler attempted to advance onto Mouuary, but the veteran forward lofted a volley over Tyler's head and into the net for the lone score of the match.

The Posh pushed forward aggressively all game, but only managed five shots on the net, manned ably by the Poppies' reserve keepers William Gourlay and Simon Ward, who combined for the shutout.

The Poppies used a variety of heady defensive play and some questionable tactics to keep the Posh off-center, limiting Peterborough's chances despite spending almost the entire match defending their own end.

Peterborough United, a Division Two side, is conventionally considered to be far more talented than the Conference-bound Poppies.

After the match, Kieta said he had no idea yet how he would replace Inman, but he allowed that Cartlidge would likely get first shot at the right winger's spot.

Poppy Notes

Gourlay and Ward are competing for the backup keeper spot behind incumbent starter Ian Bowling. Gourlay, playing behind a mostly first team defense, faced just one shot in the first half of the Peterborough United match. Ward had to be much more active, facing off four shots in the second half, including one on goal.

Kieta said the two were neck-and-neck at the moment in the competition, and that he didn't expect to make his final choice until just before the season starts.

Bowling got the night off after shutting out AFC Bournemouth on Monday in Kettering's first friendly. The Poppies have yet to allow a goal in the preseason.

Kieta waved off concerns about the side's offense as being "premature this early in the preseason."

The Poppies managed just two shots on the net Thursday, after taking just two against Bournemouth.

When pressed for comment, Kieta responded, "Well, two of them went in, didn't they?"

Midfielder Stefan Dancy was allowed to play in the Peterborough match after all.

Dancy was sent off for a push in the Bournemouth match and had received a one-match ban from the Nationwide Conference Football Association. The association clarified just hours before the Peterborough match was to start that the ban applied to the regular season and not to further friendlies.

As such, Dancy will be forced to miss the Poppies' season opener against fellow Conference foe Burton Albion, to be played at the Rock on August 17.

Dancy made a late appearance in the Peterborough match, but did not distinguish himself.

Next match: Wednesday, July 24, Vs. Notts County (Division Two) at Rockingham Road in Kettering Town. Match starts at 7:30 p.m.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-03-2003 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:42 AM   #34
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

July 24, 2002

"That was utter shite!"

Peter was still pissed at what happened, even though what set him off had occurred almost a half hour before.

"Relax, Tenford," his friend William Averby said, patting him on the back. "It's just a friendly."

"Besides, that ref is a ninny, and we all know it," Andy offered.

"I suppose so," Peter said. They were right--it is just a friendly, and that ref had been making odd calls all night.

"I am just satisfied that we came away with another solid performance from the side," Randall Wallace, the fourth member of their crew, said. "That's two D-Two sides now that we stood up to and came away unbeaten."

"True enough," Andy said. "I'll take a scoreless draw against these guys any time."

"It could have been so much more, though," Peter protested. "That shot by Dancy was in!"

"Well, no one is disputing that, Tenford," William said. "The point is the lineman blew his tooter before Dancy got the shot off. Asombang hadn't a saved it from the goal line before giving it off."

"According to the ref!" Peter gruffed. "I didn't see that ball cross the line, and it was a beautiful pass, even if I think 'Bong was aiming for McKenzie on the other side, and not Dancy. Left the Magpies' keeper flat-footed, it did."

"That it did," Andy agreed heartily. "He was rooted. It all would have mattered not a whit if Murray's shot earlier had gone in. He was off tonight, I think--that one should have been in all the way."

"Hell yeah it shoulda!" Randall said. "He had the break, and their keeper broke the wrong way. If he hadn't tailed it too much, it would have been in the back, easy as pie. Instead he missed it wide left."

"Don't be too harsh," Peter said. "He was our savior in the first two friendlies. Notched one against the Posh, and he created the entire scoring chance for us against Bournemouth. If it wasn't--"

"Hey, guys. Look there," Andy interrupted. He had turned back toward the pitch. "Look at the team walking to the clubhouse. Brien is supporting Goodwin,a nd he's limping pretty bad."

Peter turned, a crestfallen look overtaking his features.

"Oh, Heaven's sakes, not another injury to our wingers!" he said. The others reacted similarly, with groans of despair.

"We're short enough as it is on the wing," Randall said. "Inman's gone for the rest of this year. We can't afford to keep taking hits like this."

"Bloody Hell!" Peter swore. "Let's get this blooming friendly schedule over with before the whole team's in medical!"

"There's only one more friendly, the one against Kidderminster in a couple weeks," William said. "Maybe Goodwin's injury is light--two weeks should be enough to set him up right."

"We better hope so," Andy said.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-04-2003 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:17 PM   #35
Calis
College Starter

To add to the redundancy, great dynasty! I really love the style, very interesting take.

Can't wait to read more!
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:39 AM   #36
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

(Thanks, Calis )

August 7, 2002

Poppies Shoot Blanks

KETTERING-- The offense was active at Rockingham Road last night. The Poppies were aggressive and the shots were flying.

And nothing changed.

Despite a seemingly rejuvenated offensive effort that had yet to be seen in the preseason, the Poppies played the Division Three Kidderminster Harriers to a 0-0 draw Thursday night.

In a match that was much more exciting and tense than the final tally would indicate, the Poppies and Harriers tested each other's defensive mettle with 13 shots on goal, including 8 on target.

Kettering's eight shots was three more than they had accounted for in their other three friendlies combined. Likewise, in a much more wide open game, the Harriers' five shots, all on target, matched by themselves the total that Poppy keepers had faced int he previous three matches.

It was exciting from the get-go, when Kettering's starting keeper, young William Gourlay, faced down three shots in the opening 24 minutes of the match. On one play at the 17th minute, Harrier striker Matt Lewis advanced on the net line, drawing the Poppy defense in deep and pinning Gourlay to the right post of his net. Lewis turned and fired a sharp box-crossing pass to midfielder Nick Heath, charging into the box. Heath had an open shot and blasted it toward the low left corner, but Gourlay made an amazing post-to-post run to get in the way of Heath's shot and held it.

The Poppies themselves ratcheted it up a notch when they used a couple corners in the 21st minute to take pot shots at Kiddermister's keeper, Stuart Brock. Brock was forced to make three saves, including a brilliant finger save on a header by striker Carlin Itonga.

The second half did not lack for excitement either. The Poppies brought in keeper Simon Ward, competing with Gourlay for the backup spot on the first team, and he was tested immediately. He had to leap high to get his hands on a top corner shot by Lewis in the 53rd minute. He was just able to deflect it up and off the cross bar.

Near the end of the match, Kettering midfielder Davy Williamson freed himself for a run toward the left side of the box, and blasted a shot toward the low right corner that went wide of the post by mere inches.

In getting to the end of the friendly with a 0-0 draw, the Poppies pulled off the amazing feat of keeping two Divison Two and two Division Three sides from scoring in four friendlies this preseason. That notable feat may be matched, however, by the concerning offensive production, a mere two goals in the four matches altogether.

Poppy Notes

Kettering Town manager Matthew Kieta would not divulge who had won the competition for the backup goalkeeper spot, although he said a decision would come soon.

"Both William [Gourlay] and Simon [Ward] have shown that they have the ability to make it in this league," Kieta said. "Either way, we will get them both into action."

Gourlay, the 17-year-old keeper of the Poppies' U-19 squad, is considered a decent young player and perhaps the future of the team in net. Ward, a more veteran 21 years of age, is making the most of his first opportunity with a top semi-pro club.

Either way, neither is a threat to longtime starting keeper Ian Bowling, one of the team's best players.

Left winger Scott Goodwin, recovering from a strained ankle suffered on July 24 against Notts County, missed the Kidderminster match and is questionable for the August 17 Conference season opener against Burton Albion.

"Burton Albion is questionable right now, but we're hoping to have Scott back for Morecambe," Kieta said.

The Poppies play at Morecambe three days after the Burton Albion match.

Stefan Dancy, who is more of a midfielder than a winger, started in Goodwin's place. Dancy, however, is suspended for the Burton Albion match due to an red card infraction earlier in the preseason.

Kieta said he hadn't decided who would start at left winger against Burton Albion if Goodwin couldn't go.

Kieta said he and his staff are continuing to explore options for getting some depth for the squad's depleted midfield and forward crews.

"Our scout is checking out some options right now," Kieta said.

Kieta warned not to expect any quick fixes, though, as it would take a while for any newcomer to work his way into playing shape and to get used to the tactics the Poppies use.

"We're probably going to just be winging it early on," Kieta quipped to groans.

The Poppies' friendly fixture has been completed, with a final record of 2-2-0. The home and Conference season opener against Burton Albion is set for 3 p.m. at the Rock on August 17.

Old 06-05-2003, 11:42 AM   #37
CK#12
n00b

Chief Rum,

Would you like any local knowledge?
I lived in Kettering most of my life.

The football ground is very near where I lived and you could hear the crowds on Matchdays if you left the windows open.
CK#12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:12 PM   #38
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hell yeah, CK. What luck. Tell me anything you can.

Chief Rum

Old 06-06-2003, 05:58 AM   #39
CK#12
n00b

Chief Rum,

You are welcome to PM anytime.

I've only ever been to 2 Poppies matches, I actually support Nottingham Forest.

Kettering Town's big rivals are Northampton Town and Rushden & Diamonds.
Rushden have a lot of money because they had a wealthy chairman called Max Griggs (a multi-millionaire) who bought the club and he has helped them rise through the divisions and they are now in the 2nd division.
Northampton being a lot bigger town have had more success than Kettering but have fluctuated between the 3rd and 2nd division.
If Kettering ever beat either of these teams (maybe when you get promoted ) then the fans would go crazy.

Kettering Town has had it's good times but at the moment the club is in financial uncertainty and the team has just not been playing well. We have had to sell our best players just to balance the books.

Despite the problems Kettering still get about 2,000 fans for most home games which is pretty good for a non-lague team.

You've obviously done quite a bit of research into the area, I 've been really impressed.

A few local things for your dynasty.

If any of your players go out for a good time, the local nightspots are a club is called "Club XS" which is on the outskirts of town & "Chicago's" which is in the middle of town.
The best pubs are the "Sportsman", "Wayfarers" or "The Rising Sun".

Local retuarants are pretty crap but there is a nice italian in Burton Latimer which is a village just outside of Kettering.
I can't remember what it's called though.

Anything you need just ask.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:34 PM   #40
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, thanks for all the great information, CK. Please, any time you can add anything else, I would appreciate it. And what you have already given me here is gold.

No doubt some of you may have noticed thatthis dynasty stopped cold last week. Well, if you spent any time in the GD forum, you probably know that I suffered a hard drive breakdown last week. I had to buy a new hard drive, and, unfortunately, this dynasty is on that hard drive.

So I started a new one after re-installing CM4, with pretty much the same everything. Starting from scratch, of course, presents some problems with the story, as most of the things which have occurred have in fact NOT occurred now, thanks to the fact that that dynasty in its initial form is lost to me now.

I have what I think will be a good segue into what happened the "second" time around, though. So I hope you'll bear with me. Just remember that most of what you have read up to this point is, unfortunately, no longer valid.

Chief Rum

Old 06-11-2003, 05:17 PM   #41
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 7, 2002

Peter awoke with a start and a yelp, breaking the stony silence of the darkness around him.

He breathed hard, his thoughts still possessed by the events of his dreams. They were so real, he thought.

Gradually, a dull pain in his head began to seep through his stupor, burning it away and gripping his temples in a vice.

"Ooowww...", he groaned, reaching his hand to his head. He noticed he felt hot and clammy, and that the air was suffocatingly stuffy. His mouth tasted foul, like he had been asleep for days.

He recognized the symptoms right away--he was hungover.

"Good Lord," he muttered under his breath. "This musthave been quite the ringer..."

He swung his legs out from what he determined to be a couch, and settled his feet--still wearing his shoes--on the carpet below. The very motion made him feel a little sick, although he had been drunk often enough to know that his time for worshipping the porcelain god was past.

All was dark, but he finally began to pick out the details of the room he was in, including a steadily brightening line of pink dawn out the window at the far end.

He was in Andy Trellis's den. He must have passed out here.

Suddenly, the thought of Andy screamed at him through the veil of slumber.

"The Poppies!", he gasped. He leapt to his feet, bringing another wave of nausea and sharp stabbing pains to his head, but he ignored them as he rushed int he direction of Andy's bedroom.

"Andy," he whispered harshly to Andy's closed door as he approached it. It did not open, but it had been left slightly ajar. He pushed it open lightly and peeked inside. He could just make out the form of his friend in his bed. Peter steadied himself on the door jamb as the effects of the alcoohol swarmed over him again.

"Andy!" he whispered again.

The mound moved with a groan, and Peter knew he had been heard.

After a few seconds of twisting on the bed, his friend Andy finally peeked out at Peter from under the covers.

"Go to bed, you arse!" he said throatily. "It's hours yet until ee must be up."

"I'm sorry, Andy," Peter whispered, though he knew not why--Andy lived alone. "I had a weird dream and I need to ask you some things."

The mound gave out another muffled groan of despair, before a hand snaked out and turned on the small lamp on Andy's bedside table. For all its compactness, the light had the glare of the sun to Peter's eyes, as he squinted against it and the waves of pain it sent rolling through his skull.

He steadied himself a moment again, as Andy through back the covers and moved up into more of a sitting position.

"Peter, this better be bloody important, or I'm gonna fetch my cricket stick and break it on your arse!" Andy warned. It was patently ridiculous, of course, since Andy is a smallish lout of a man, but Peter knew him to have a fierce enought emper when he got going.

"Well, I don't know tis all that important but I have need of ease of mind," Peter said. "I dreamt of the Poppies."

"What a shocker," Andy replied mockingly. "Was it the Champions Cup one again, or the one where you lead the Poppies to promotion to the Premier with an extra time win over Rushden?"

"Neither," Peter said, solemnly. "This was far more real. Or it felt like it, anyway."

"Well, then, get to it," Andy said. "What happened?"

"Well, I dreamed a month or two, it felt," Peter started. "It wasn't a day-in, day-out thing, but more of a leaping vision of all things Poppy. I dreamt of four friendlies and other things."

"The Poppies have played six friendlies," Andy said. "The last one was last night, after which we both got blithering drunk, remember?"

"Well, sorta...", Peter admitted. "Who did we play again?"

"Did you just drink the Bass, or did you slip something heavier into that mix," Andy asked. "You have been wiped, I think. We played Leyton Orient, last night, and we lost 2-0. It was a bloody horrific match."

"2-0...ah, yes, that is coming back to me a bit," Peter admitted. "Did we allow any goals int he other friendlies?"

"Well, of course, we did, Peter, don't be daft," Andy remarked. "You don't get through two Level Four, two Level Three and a Level Two side without giving up some goals."

"Hmm, in my dream, we didn't give up a goal, and that was to some strong opponents as well," Peter said, lamenting his loss.

"Well, then you know it was a dream, don't you?" Andy asked in frustration. "No way in hell we get by without allowing a score in six or four friendlies."

"Did we perform well?" Peter asked. "I am befuddled at the moment, and cannot recall."

Andy rolled his eyes.

"Well enough, I suppose," he said. "The defeat last night was a bitter pill, but we came through the rest with a draw and four victories, for what good friendlies do ya. Tenford, surely you recall the Derby match?"

Visions of swarming masses went through Peter's head as he thought of that one.

"Yes, I think I do," he said. "Last week, Derby came down to the Rock, and the place was swamped, as it generally will be when the a D-One side comes to town. Standingr oom only in the terraces, and Randy complaining all that team that that bleating whore in front of us kept standing up during the match."

"So you do remember," Andy said, grinning for the first time. "I was beginning to fear for your sanity. That was a good win for us, friendly or not. And you The Mallingerer had to be happy with the box recepits on that one."

"Aye, true," Peter said. "Is Inman well? And what of Brien?"

"Inman? The Irish on the wing?" Andy asked, eyebrows going up. "What of him? He's fine enough, although i think he should be playing harder than he has. And who the bloody hell is Brien?"

"So Inman isn't sporting a broken wing," Peter asked hopefully. "He isn't done until past the festive season."

"No, you fucking twit," Andy said. "He's just fine. Now who the hell is Brien?"

"Tony Brien, the Irish assistant," Peter said.

"What is it with you and the Irish, Tenford," Andy asked in exasperation. "I have never heard of a Brien. Our assistant is the old defender Steve Thompson. A fine enough hire, I suppose."

Peter breathed a sigh of relief.

"I'm finally beginning to believe all this, Andy," Peter said. "I feared I had lost my wits."

"I'm still fearing it," Andy asked suspiciously.

"I'm just glad we aren't coached by some bloody nobody from the States," Peter said, ignoring his friend. "That was the most unbelievable part of it all."

"Peter, have you lost your mind," Andy asked. "We did hire an American, or an Englishman who emigrated there anyway. Does the name Matthew Kieta ring a bell?"

Peter stared at his friend in horror for a moment before responding.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Old 06-12-2003, 12:32 AM   #42
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 10, 2002

They Came Back For This?

by Roger Terndon

A year ago, we were lamenting that the Poppies of Kettering Town were about to start their first year in the lower semi-pro leagues since 1972.

Now they are back in the Conference and one week away from embarking on a new season. But is there really a difference between this year and last? Last year, there was hope they could return to the Nationwide. This year, there is fear they won't stay.

So the goal remains the same: to play in the Nationwide Conference next year.

Can we expect it? The pundits aren't sure. Most seem to think this team will be lucky to end up in the middle of the table. I'm hard pressed to disagree with them.

After two months on the job, new manager Matthew Kieta has added just one new face to the roster--assistant manager Steve Thompson. Not one addition was made to the playing roster, and it seems to most that this new manager must be in over his head.

This was not one of the best offensive sides in the Dr. Marten's League and barely escaped that league to win promotion as it is. From that roster, the Poppies have removed former manager and top scorer Carl Shutt, making them even more impotent on offense.

Now here we are approaching a new season, and we have a hodge-podge of new players from whom we have no idea what we'll get. Certainly, few of them have proven themselves on this level before.

Dag & Red seems to be the favorite, as well they should be after finishing just short of promotion last year. Third-placed Yeovil Town and the Rovers of Doncaster will be there, too. Barnet, Farnborough, Morecambe--all look like solid teams. And, though, they suffered relegation last year, Halifax Town has to be considered a strong team by virtue of having played in the League last season. Toss in the few surprises you have every season, and that makes for a top ten table that will be hard to crack.

But the Poppies don't need to be in the top half of the table just yet--they just need to beat three teams, and two of them--Gravesend and Burton Albion--are new additions to the Conference, just like the Poppies.

Can they do it? The friendly schedule gives hope. Kettering Town played well in its preseason fixture, posting four wins and a draw in six matches. The team played a strong defense with Lee Howarth and Ian Bowling forming an impermeable wall, and the offense was decently productive as well. But this team also saved its worst for last, falling in miserable fashion to Leyton Orient earlier this week. Was it a bad night? Or was it finally facing a side which was putting all of its starters out from the first whistle?

The oddsmakers place the Poppies' odds at 33-1 to win advancement to the League. I think it would do more good to know what the odds are the Poppies will be relegated at the ended of the year--because avoiding it will be the real championship for Kettering Town fans.

After all, what good is promotion if you're relegated the season afetr that? The Poppies will need to beat this second test to prove they are back for good.

Old 06-12-2003, 01:14 AM   #43
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 13, 2002

Kieta Names Starters

KETTERING-- The Poppies' manager Matthew Kieta named his starters Tuesday for this weekend's season-opening match with Conference opponent Barnet, and said they would likely remain his core starters for the time being.

The opening lineup will feature seven new starters, most of whom are new additions to the Kettering Town roster.

Veteran keeper Ian Bowling returns at goalkeeper for his third season with the Poppies. The 36-year-old is easily the top keeper on the club, and is a leader on the field, too, where he is expected to be the captain. This will be his third season with the Poppies.

"I expect Ian to be a critical part of our team this season," Kieta said after he announced the keeper's position. "His performance will very likely determine the direction this season goes."

The critical man on defense will be centre defender Lee Howarth, who will play his first Conference ball with Kettering Town after transferring to the Poppies from Boston United last year. The 34-year-old commanding fullback was a centerpiece of the strong defense which won the Poppies' their promotion back to the Conference last year. He will be joined by Rushden import Brett Solkhon, who will have to play strong ball to avoid becoming a target of the Rushden-hating fans of Kettering.

The wingbacks will feature an addition from Conference foe Hereford United in Scott Goodwin, a solid defender with some midfield skills, and former backup Martin Matthews on the right. Matthews, in his third year witht he poppies, won his starting spot over Mark Haran.

The big surprise on the back line was the demotion of longtime center stalwart Craig Norman. Norman, who has been one of the Poppies' better defenders for years, is the club's elder statesman in years with the cllub. The 27-year-old has been playing with the Poppies since his football debut in 1995.

"Craig is still a key part of this team," Kieta said. "This move is not because of anything related to Craig or his skills--he remains as dedicated as ever. The fact of the matter is that we are just a very deep team on defense. Craig will see plenty of time, with a heavy fixture and four spots to fill each match."

Two Irish imports will be a key to Kettering's midfield this season. Speedy young centreman Davy Williamson will take the forward midfield spot and do much of the same ball advancement he did with Northern Ireland's Bray Wanderers last year. Williamson has come along further from his early days, which included a brief stint on loan with the Poppies in 1998. On the right wing, fellow Irishman Niall Inman returns to the Poppies. Inman was with the Poppies in 2001 when they were relegated from the Conference, but elected to stay in the league with Dover Athletic.

Four-year veteran Wayne Duik has been moved from his traditional defensive midfield spot to the left wing, where Kieta feels his aerial abilities and ball movement skills will be of particular use to the team.

"I have people who can defend the center of the pitch," Kieta said. "But my system calls for more attacking along the wings, and Wayne fits in perfectly with that role."

The last midfield spot will be handled by Mansfield transfer Danny Holyoak, who will handle much of the defensive midfield responsibilities for the side.

Up front may be the very key to the team's success, where the offense is expected to be often slow in coming. Fortunately, one of the two up front will be Shaun Murray, in his third year with the Poppies. Murray, a natural attacking midfielder, was moved to the left froward spot because of a lack of depth there, but it could eb a diamond move, as Murray is well-known for his creativity on the pitch. The other forward spot will be manned by Arsenal reserve and African Congo import Carlin Itonga, who's primary skills are related to his quickness with the ball.

The season opener against Barnet will be played at 3 p.m. this Saturday at Rockingham Road in Kettering Town.

Old 06-12-2003, 01:16 AM   #44
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Nice maneuver, Chief!
Old 06-12-2003, 06:14 AM   #45
condors
College Starter

glad to have updates again
Old 06-12-2003, 09:47 AM   #46
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Excellent stuff, Chief. I love the format. I'll be reading.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 11:22 AM   #47
CK#12
n00b

Chief, Good to see a little hard drive failure didn't destroy your Kettering Dynasty.

If this is anything like real lofe then your season will indeed be a struggle.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:15 PM   #48
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Fonzie: Thanks. I had to come up with something.

condors: Me, too. I hate it when I get into something and I have to wait for computer problems to get fixed to get it going again.

DataKing: Thanks, DK. My fear is that I won't be able to keep it fresh. After all, it's going to be hard not to be repititious after a while, with so many games to present in one way or another. I do want to use some of the same formats over, because it's easier and there is value in the familiarity of a similar format as well, but there is an accompanying risk of it getting old. Maybe after a while, I'll ask you guys which ways of presentation you prefer (interviews, radio commentary or play-by-play, news conferences, newspaper articles and commentaries, spectator testimonials, maybe even narratives from on the pitch themselves, who knows...).

CK: That's not a coincidence. I'm well aware of Kettering's suckiness in the real life version of this season (for those of you who don't, Kettering Town finished in dead last in the 2002-03 season--by a lot). Interestingly enough, I also followed the same route with my Stalybridge Celtic and then to Welsh teams CM01-02 dynasty last year, having noted that in the 2001-02 season, the Celtic finished in dead last.

It might be noted with grimness here that I failed miserably with Stalybridge in that dynasty (although I had better success in Cwmbran Town in Wales), but hopefully I have picked up a few tricks to help me with the game in general.

Game One is coming!

Chief Rum

Old 06-13-2003, 01:24 AM   #49
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 17, 2002

Tommy Ridgely: Welcome, Poppy fans, to the return of Kettering Town football to the Nationwide Conference. I am your host Tommy Ridgely, and it excites me to be able to bring to you the first big match of the season here.

Today, at the Rock, your Poppies will take on the Bees of Barnet, in what should prove to be an exciting opening to a great season of Poppy football!

The Rock is filling up even as we speak. The stands are nearly full, and the terraces are beginning to look crowded, too. It looks like the Poppies will have a raucous home crowd to support them today.

This will be the Conference debut for several new Poppies, including the man-in-charge himself, our new manager Matthew Kieta, in his first season in both Kettering Town and in English football period.

These Bees won't be an easy match to start, though. Picked by many experts to be among the top five sides in the league, the Bees bring talent and experience at both ends of the pitch. The name to watch? New and exciting striker addition Junior Agogo, who is expected to become one of the hot newcomers to the Conference this year. Agogo is known for his eye for the net, and our own Mr. Kieta should know him quite well--the Ghanaian was an offensive catalyst for the American San Jose Quakes last year, where he played behind none other than the Americans' exciting recent World Cup star Landon Donovan!

It looks like the rounds are about wrapped up, and this match is mere minutes away from starting. Let's get to the starting lineups...

7th minute

...Williamson steps in at the midline and intercepts the ball. He dodges to his left toward the touch line as Gower pursues. Williamson is too fast for him, though, racing down the flank like a demon. Excellent defender Pope is up and on him, but he's coming too slow as well, as Williamson keeps it alive down near the corner. Willaimson is swiveling and sends a shot at the box...OH! Murray just couldn't get an angle on that one! Too close to the post and he sends it over the net. Nice play by Williamson, too bad the Poppies couldn't capitalize. We're still notched up at zeros, and Naisbitt will prepare for the goalkick...

8th minute

...Goodwin is playing keepaway from the Bees just outside the box. He's looking for a dumper, and he finds Williamson to his right. Williamson steps toward the box...several Bees closing on...he lets out a hard shot. And Naisbitt clutches it to him! Williamson is really being the catalyst today as he's forcing young Naisbitt to sweat a little, but this one went a little too straight at the keeper...

[i]26th minute[i]

...Pope reaches the ball near the corner of the box and unleashes a long clear out to the Poppies' side of the pitch. The Poppies have been pressing, but--OH! Matthews with the nice interception at the midline and he moves it forward to Williamson. Williamson runs it on, and he has a man! Itonga is out in the open, and Williamson places it at his feet into the box! Naisbitt is moving out...Itonga dodges--OH! he blasted a hard one, but Naisbitt got his hands on it and knocked it away. Pope retrieves it and sends it away. Itonga had just Naisb--oh, but Goodwin has another fine interception and he slides it over to Duik on the left flank. Gower closes down on Duik...he puts a nice floater over to Itonga again. Itonga and Pluck go up for it...oh, a good call but the official that was clearly a push by Pluck. The Poppies will get the freekick...Holyoak setting up his shot from the left spot...he sends a floater down the far side of the box, and Naisbitt can't reach it...oh, but neither can the Poppies as it bounces out for the goal kick. Duik broke too late...Kettering missed a dynamite opening here, Itonga should have put that one in before...

29th minute

...Yakabu with the throw-in...Cook intercepts and knocks it back to Yakabu. The Poppies are pressing--Inman is in Yakobus' face as the midfielder maneuvers for room. He gets a leg in there, but Yakabu retrieves and pushes it back to Cook. Cook digs a little and volleys it toward the box...Agoga has a step on Howarth as he moves under it and--WHAT IS THIS, Bowling out of the box! He's not going to get there, Agogo steps right and fires it! GOOOAAALLLL! Agogo has capitalized on a grievous mistake by the Kettering keeper and has put it in the net! Good Lord, that was as rookie a mistake as I have ever seen from Bowling...What compelled the man to rush out on Agogo that far?...The Bees lead it 1-0...

36th minute

...Pope with the throw-in to Brown. Brown moves it forward--but, wait! An excellent tackle by Goodwin, who sends it out to Duik on the left flank...Oh, a beauty of a pass by Duik...HE"S FOUND MURRAY ON THE RUN! Murray has it and he's charging toward the box, Yakabu desperately on his heels...Naisbitt moves out to intercept--OH!, but a nice sidestep--a SHOT!!...Oh, Good Heavens, it's off the post! Itonga looks to move in...Solomon closing, the ball skirts out...again, oh to the net! NO! Yakabu digs it out with a great lunge! And the ball is in the air! Yakabu reaches and clears...OH MY, the Great Poppy in the Sky has left us dry! To come so close...Murray with the brilliant move, but his shot goes off the far post...he had it free and clear...and Itonga's move was mere inches from the goal, before Yakabu made an amazing save for his keeper! The Poppies are in the bx, but they just haven't pushed it across...

Half Time

...There you have it, folks. We're at the halfway point, and the Poppies are down a goal after a fierce and exciting first half of chances. To come so close...

57th minute

...Inman with the corner...He sends it toward the far side...Agogo and Itonga jump...and Agogo clears it with a header!...Oh, but Inman reaches it on the left. He turns toward the line and is looking for a cross...it flies...OH! And Itonga has it--he shoots! OH! But Naisbitt takes the shot hard and knocks it away...Yakabu has it and he clears long...Matthews intercepts at the midline,a nd he swings it long back to Inman...Inman is racing to the ball int he corner...oh, but Brown will get ther first, and he fends off the midfielder...another missed opportunity for the Poppies...

61st minute

...Naisbitt clears into the Poppies' side...Solkhon leaps up and heads it back...Itonga gathers it up and moves forwarf...he has Murray open and racing! Murray moves on--he's splitting Pluck and Yakabu--THE SHOT! OH! Off of Naisbitt and behind for a corner. That was a strike by Murray! But right at Naisbitt...Inman with the corner...he sends it near post...Murray is close, but Naisbitt reaches it and clutches...

90th minute

...Diuk clears long, deep into Bee territory...The Poppies are coming forward...Naisbitt runs out anc kicks it forward...Brown runs under it and redirects! It's forward on a header to Oshitola--OH! A brilliant move by Oshitola to shake Colley...he's got a step into the box...But Goodwin with a brilliant tackle...only Oshitola to recover, though...he sidest--AND SHOOTS! GOOOOOAAAAAALLL! The Bees have locked this one up for sure!...The Poppies got caught too forward, and Bowling could do nothing to stop that shot! The Bees go up, 2-0...

Full Time

...Well, Poppies fans, it is a frustrating start to the season, as the Poppies had their chances. They just didn't capitalize on them. If they can get it into the net and cut off the defensive lapses, they just might be able to turn the corner and get this side going strong...

Old 06-13-2003, 07:25 AM   #50
condors
College Starter

great writeup as usual, i thought after the first half you would earn some points in the second half, still a good game as barnet is usually a good squad