Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-13-2003, 11:01 PM   #51
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, condors, I thought we might get one across with the way we were pressing them and getting action in their half of the pitch, but it just didn't happen. I know sometimes that's how it is, especially with a tough team like Barnet.

Wish me luck from here on out.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 11:20 PM   #52
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

VOIDED--THIS DIDN't HAPPEN

August 21, 2002

Northampton Chronicle & Echo

Poppies Zeroed Again

STEVENAGE-- Two matches into the season, and the Poppies have yet to score a goal.

After being shut out by Barnet Saturday, the Kettering Town Conference side was shut out again, 1-0, by Stevenage Borough at Broadhall Way in Stevenage on Tuesday--and it wasn't really that close.

The Boro' dominated the match, putting constant pressure on the Poppies' defense and on goalkeeper Ian Bowling. They took 13 shots, including nine on net, to the Poppies' two. They also had an amazing 16-1 advantage in corners.

The Poppies did well to limit the Boro' in the first half, allowing just five shots on net. But the Boro' came out strong in the second half, when they were constantly in the Poppies' half of the pitch.

In the 48th minute, Barnet midfield import Leon Bell drove a spectacular drive through a gaping hole in Kettering's defense, forcing Bowling to make a hard save on the shot. That left him in poor position for the followup, though, as striker Justin Richards stepped up to knock in the rebound for the match's only score.

The Poppies' best chance came just before Richard's score. Striker Carlin Itonga made a brilliant tackle on sweeper Jason Goodliffe to free up the ball in the Boro' end of the pitch. Itonga had a free run to the net, but appeared to take too long to commit to a shot. Stevenage defender Barry Laker came around and knocked the ball away from itonga before he could get a shot off.

Kettering next plays Scarborough at Rockingham Road on Saturday.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-16-2003 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:22 AM   #53
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Wow, I just found this thread now.

Great job so far Chief, keep it comin'.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 11:37 PM   #54
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, Neuq. If I didn't keep having computer problems, I would be keeping it coming pretty steady.

Herte's the latest--the week since the Barnet game has been eliminated, because the game froze up on me before I saved it. This actually happened the same night I posted the Stevenage article, of course, but I didn't have the heart at the time to mention it. I also had some things I was trying to do go belly up with it (although they are small and reproduceable things).

Anyway, the whole Stevenage loss was lost and I am back to August 17, just after the Barnet match. So please ignore all that followed (basically the Stevenage match), as I begin anew.

CR

Old 06-17-2003, 12:58 AM   #55
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 18, 2002

Nationwide Conference Wrap Up

Dag & Red 2, Telford 0 Welsh keeper Tony Roberts got Dag & Red off to a nice start with a shutout of Telford in Dagenham. The defense was exceptionally tight, as Telford failed to get a single shot off. Dag & Red, picked by many as the favorite to win the Conference this year, got scores from reserve striker Mark Stein and midfielder Paul Terry.

Doncaster 2, Leigh RMI 0 The Rovers ran roughshod over Leigh RMI in a shutout victory Saturday in Doncaster. The game featured a tight Doncaster defense which allowed Leigh RMI just two shots on the net, and an active offense with 14 shots by the Rovers. Andy Warrington got the zero, while exciting Scottish forward Jamie Paterson scored a goal, along with striker Robert Gill. The match was particularly brutal, as three yellows and a red card were pulled. The red was used on Leigh RMI defensive midfielder Nei Fitzhenry, who took Gill out from under a floating pass with a hard tackle.

Farnborough 1, Northwich Vics 1 The Vics and Farnborough played to a draw after 90 minutes of stunted play in the mid-zone in Farnborough. Neither team gave much leeway to the other in its own end. The Vics got a score in the 29th minute from Carlisle striker import Johnny Allan, but couldn't hold on, as Farnborough's old St. Lucian striker Ken Charlery notched it up in the 70th minute.

Forest Green 1, Morecambe 0 Quick Nigerian striker Kayode Odejayi beat Morecambe to half time with a score in the 45th minute in a defensive match in Forest Green, and longtime Rover keeper Steve Perrin made sure it stood up with a shutout on his end. Just seven shots were taken in the minor upset, 5 of them by Morecambe, which was picked by many to contend for the Conference title this season.

Gravesend & Northfleet 5, Woking 2 The Fleet sent notice to the Conference it wasn't going to just be another lacking recent promotee with a smashing defeat of Woking in Northfleet Kent. The back-and-forth game featured 19 shots on the net, and an own goal by Cardinals defender Dean Austin in the 84th minute. The goal gave The Fleet a 4-2 lead after the two sides had failed to advance a 2-2 tie since the 26th minute of the match. Woking just missed being relegated last season.

Halifax 0, Burton Albion 0 Last season, Haifax Town wss in the Third Division, and Burton Albion was in the lower Unibond League. This season, though, they are rivals in the Conference, and surprisingly, the once lower Brewers of Albion did most of the shooting--5 of the 6 shots--in the match. But it was all for naught, as veteran Lee Butler and Sheffield Utd. import Matt Duke matched each other with shutouts for the draw in Halifax.

Hereford 3, Chester 0 Hereford's Rushden import striker John Grant greeted the Conference with an acclaimed performance, notching three for the hatttick, before the 30th minute was struck in a hot and rainy match at Hereford. Chester got off just 3 shots to Hereford's 16, and lost going away.

Barnet 2, Kettering 0 The Bees survived injuries to starting striker Ben Strevens and halfback Lee Flynn, a fierce attack by the Poppies, and an unfriendly Kettering home crowd to come away with the victory in this one. New Ghanaian striker Junior Agogo, come to the Conference by way of the States' MLS league, scored in his debut, and young forward Tony Oshitola settled it with a score in the 90th minute. The Poppies outshot the Bees 7-4, but failed to get the rock by Bee keeper Daniell Naisbitt. On a far more serious note, Strevens' injury, a broken leg, will put him down for four months, depriving one of the Conference's top sides of one of their best scorers until January.

Margate 3, Southport 0 The Gate used a penalty score, an own goal, and a regular notch to beat up on Southport in Dover. The Gate, expected to be one of the better sides in the Conference this season, got on the board with a penalty kick by Sierra Leonan international midfielder John Keister in the 34th minute, and then doubled it with a score by longtime striker Phil Collins in the 42nd minute. In the second half, Southport's own defender John Moss accidentally knocked a shot into his own net to seal the deal in a dominated match.

Yeovil 3, Nuneaton Borough 1 Yeovil won a much tougher match than it would appear in Nuneaton, using two penalties in the second half to account for the difference. Yeovil took a 1-0 lead off of an early forward Gavin Williams' score, and a man advantage, courtesy of a red card to Nuneaton's veteran midfielder Mickey Brown. Nonetheless, Nuneaton fought well, and even tied it in the 51st minute with a score by former Yeovil striker Carl Alford. But scrambling to overcome their missing eleventh, Nuneaton was forced to play it tight, and that resulted in penalty kicks in the 54th and 90th minutes, both converted by Yeovil striker Adam Stansfield.

Stevenage 1, Scarborough 0 Scarborough got more shots off, but they weren't good shots, in a tight loss to Stevenage in Scarborough. The two Boros combined for just 10 shots, and the only one that went in was a 56th minute score by Stevenage striker Charlie MacDonald. French keeper and Cambridge import Lionel Perez was good to keep Scarborough out of the net in his Conference debut.

Old 06-17-2003, 01:32 AM   #56
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 18, 2002

Northant Evening Telegraph

Poppies Courting Houghton?

KETTERING-- Kettering manager Matthew Kieta is still looking to fill out his staff.

Is Ray Houghton available?

Rumors abound that the Conference Poppies have made an offer for the former Irish international midfield star to join the coaching staff. Houghton, a former coach of Crystal Palace after 20-year career which included top turns with Liverpool and Aston Villa, has been interested in re-entering the coaching ranks since his dismissal from Crystal Palace last season.

Kieta could not be reached for comment, and the team offices at Rockingham Road were closed Sunday.

Houghton, reached at his home in Glasgow, Scotland, would not comment on any offers he had received.

The Poppies hired Steve Thompson last month to be the side's assistant manager, but Kieta has often expressed a desire to expand the coaching and scouting staffs.

Old 06-17-2003, 01:43 AM   #57
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 19, 2002

Poppies Sign New Coach--But Not Houghton

KETTERING-- The Kettering Town Poppies announced Sunday they had hired well-regarded coach Shaun Reid to help with team training and match preparation, even as rumors were flying throw the soccer world that the Conference side was actually pursuing former Irish midfield star Ray Houghton to serve ina similar capacity.

Reid, 36, has served with several lower level clubs in recent years, after a playing career of little note ended a decade ago.

Confusion abounded when the team announced the hiring, since reports Sunday indicated they were pursuing Houghton, who starred for Liverpool and Aston Villa in the early 90s, and was a stalwart of Ireland's national team for much of the last 20 years.

Kieta refused to comment Sunday, and the team offices were closed, so little hint has been given on whether the Houghton reports are false or were mixed up with the Reid hiring.

One team source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the Houghton offer was real, and wholely separate from the Reid deal. This source also indicated that Kieta was heavily in the midst of a large round fo both staff and player moves, many of which will be announced over the next few days.

Old 06-17-2003, 02:01 AM   #58
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 20, 2002

Northhampton Chronicle & Echo

Kieta Confirms Houghton Interest

KETTERING-- Kettering Town manager Matthew Kieta confirmed that the Poppies have made an offer to former midfield star Ray Houghton to serve as a coach with the side this season.

Getting Houghton, 40, would be a public relations coup for the financially frugal Poppies, as his presence would likely garner much further interest in the club. Houghton, who has coached with Crystal Palace, is better known for his playing days with Liverpool and Aston Villa in the 1990s, and for his turns with the Irish national side.

"Handling a club this large is time consuming, so I need the help," Kieta said. "I have a healthy respect for the experience and leadership abilities of a man like [Houghton]."

Kieta said he has spoken to Houghton, currently at his home in Glasgow, Scotland, on the phone and that the interest is mutual if financials can be arranged.

There are rumors that if Houghton were hired, he might be given Steve Thompson's assistant manager spot, a position Thompson was hired for just last month. Kieta denied the rumors, though, saying he "made the right choice the first time" with Thompson.

Houghton, as a former Division One coach and having such reknown in the British Isles, is expected to be a costly hire for any club below the top levels, but Kieta said that both sides were aware of the Poppies' financial situation and were trying to work a way around it.

Kieta gave no timetable for when a decision might be reached.

Houghton could not be reached for comment, nor could team chairman Peter Mallinger.

The Poppies also hired a new coach, Shaun Reid, on Sunday, contributing to a confusing media storm surrounding the rumors on Houghton. Kieta said Reid would be of immense help with a lot fo the fitness-based coaching, as he has physio experience and is a noted workout feind from his playing days.

"If anyone can help my trainers get our guys into shop and still playing in top form, Andy can," Kieta assured.

Kieta refused to comment on any further staff movements, or rumors of player movements as well.

Old 06-17-2003, 02:19 AM   #59
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 20, 2002

Northhampton Chronicle & Echo

Match Day

KETTERING-- By the time you read this, the Poppies will already be on their way to Stevenage for their first away match in the Conference this season. The match will be played tonight at 7:30 p.m. at Broadway Hall, the Boro's home ground.

The Kettering-Stevenage is just one of a full slate of Conference matchups tonight, as the full table will be in action.

Kettering lost its home opener to Barnet, 2-0, on Saturday, while Stevenage beat Scarborough on the road, 1-0.

Although Kettering did well on offense early in its preseason friendly, it has failed to score in its last two matches, including the friendly-fixture-ending shutout loss to Leyton Orient on August 6. It is also regarded as a team that is not too deep nor talented up front.

Kieta said he might do some lineup tinkering tonight.

"Don't hold me to it, though," Kieta said. "Or expect me to stay consistent. As a side, we are still trying to find the best lineup and tactic that works well together, and you will likely see me tinkering with this for a while yet. I also like to make regular rotations, and few of the guys will be playing in most of the matches this season, as I try to keep everyone fresh."

Kieta said centre back Bret Solkhon would not be available tonight, as he is still recovering from a tough Barnet match, which hit the Poppies' fullbacks hard.

Other Conference Matchups

Match of the Night: Doncaster at Morecambe-- These two teams are both expected to be among the best sides in the Conference this year, although they got off to different starts on Saturday. The Rovers rolled over Leigh RMI, 2-0, at home Saturday, but the Shrimps of Morecambe fell in a tough defensive battle at Forest Green, 1-0.

Also tonight:

Forest Green at Barnet
Gravesend & Northfleet at Burton Albion
Margate at Chester
Dag & Red at Leigh RMI
Halifax at Northwich
Nuneaton Borough at Southport
Kettering at Stevenage
Hereford at Telford
Scarborough at Woking
Farnborough at Yeovil

Old 06-18-2003, 04:38 AM   #60
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 21, 2002

Poppies Punchless In Defeat

STEVENAGE-- For all the lively news this side has generated in the papers the past few days, the players themselves might as well be comatose.

Stevenage defeated the Poppies, 1-0, in a match that wasn't nearly as close as it would seem Tuesday night. The Boro' dominated the ballplay, and never let the Poppies get a sniff at the goal, allowing just one wayward shot in the net's general direction.

The Conference match at Stevenage was the Boro's home opener, and both teams' second match of the season, which opened Saturday.

The Poppies were fortunate to escape with just a 1-0 loss, as the Boro' had a goal by striker Anthony Elding disallowed for an offsides in the 37th minute, and home team peppered Kettering's keeper Ian Bowling with 11 shots, five on target.

The difference maker came early. In the 18th minute, Elding, who was sharp all match, got a breakaway from a long pass and broke toward the box. He dished off to his forward partner Charlie MacDonald, and Bowling was unable to cross over in time to stop the close up MacDonald's blast into the lower right corner of the net.

Both MacDonald and Elding were extremely active in front of the net, getting several good chances. Elding gained reknown as an exciting striker with Boston United last season, the side which would eventually win the Conference and move up to the League.

The Poppies seemed to be stunted by an inability to pass, as Stevenage's pressure system and able passing limited Kettering's ability to move the ball effectively or take it back from the Boro'.

The offensive lethargy is likely to bring some heat on new Kettering manager Matthew Kieta, who's side has failed to score in its first two matches of the season, and hasn't scored in a match at all since its second to last friendly on August 1.

The Poppies have been garnering national attention for their pursuit of former Irish international-Liverpool-Aston Villa midfield star Ray Houghton for their coaching staff.

Kieta refused comment after the match, and refused to allow the media to talk to the players.

Old 06-18-2003, 05:34 AM   #61
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 21, 2003

Barnet 3, Forest Green 0 This one was over before the Bees' fans got their first buzz. Exciting midfield import Lee Cook from Watford continued to display the terrific ball play he showed against Kettering on Saturday, scoring two goals in the first 12 minutes of the match in Barnet's home opener. Bee keeper Daniel Naisbitt got his second shut out of the young season, although the credit for this one goes to the active Barnet defense, which allowed just one shot on goal.

Gravesend & Northfleet 2, Burton Albion 0 The Fleet put up five goals and 13 shots against Woking Saturday. On Tuesday night, though, they managed just three shots against felow promotee Burton Albion on its home pitch. But they made the most of their chances. In the 44th minute, forward Mark Bentley scored to get the first goal on the board. The Fleet then held on behind solid defensive play, limiting Burton to a matching three shots on goal. In the 90th minute, the victory was sealed by an own goal by defender Stuart Reddington.

Chester 2, Margate 1 Continuing a seeming trend early in this Conference season, Chester used a goal from an unexpected source to prove victorious on its home pitch against the well-regarded Gate of Margate. Chester was knocking on the door for much of the match, but the Gate's keeper Phil Smith proved to be too tough to take--until he kicked it in himself! In an odd and egregious error, Smith misplayed a ball that was kicked back to him by his defenders in the 53rd minute, and the ball accidentally crossed over the touch line for the score. It would prove the difference in the end.

Leigh RMI 2, Dag & Red 1 This match is proof for why they always play the games. Leigh RMI was dominated by Doncaster Saturday, and Dag & Red was picked as the favorite to win promotion to the League this year. So, of course, the Railway Men play the strong side on their home pitch, and jump to a 2-0 lead by the 24th minute, before the Daggers even get going. Strikers Keith Scott and Scott Fitzgerald got the two scores that would eventually be the key in a minor upset.

Doncaster 3, Morecambe 1 Were the pundits too quick to name Morecambe as one of the Conference's better sides? Or is Doncaster just this good? Rovers' striker Robert Gill scored for the second match in a row in the 5th minute, setting the tone early on. Doncaster's side did well to shut down Morecambe's attack, but didn't put the match away until a penalty score by Northwich striker import Greg Blundell in the 56th minute. Morecambe, playing its home opener after showing feeble form in a loss to Forest Green Saturday, managed just four total shots, and didn't score its goal until the 85th minute.

Northwich 2, Halifax 1 Carlisle import Johnny Allan scored a final minutes goal to clinch a hard home victory over visiting Halifax. In a defensive match, the two sides remained tied at 1-1 for much of the way. Not all was good for the Vics, though--Man United midfield import Andy Taylor broke his wrist in the 73rd minute, and will liekly be out until mid-September at least.

Southport 3, Nuneaton Borough 0 Former West Bromich and Preston striker Lee Ashcroft just missed the hat, as he notched up two goals in a strong victory for Southport in its home opener. The match was a defensive one, but Nuneaton resorted to too many risky tactics, earning them two penalty fouls. Ashcroft kicked both, converting the first in the 31st minute and missing the second in the 37th minute. He also put Southport up to the early lead in the 16th minute, and Southport had three goals by halftime.

Stevenage 1, Kettering 0 Stevenage dominated play ont he pitch in their home opener, allowing the Poppies just one shot at the net. The Boro' pressed strongly and had several good chances on the net before accepting the closer-than-reality one goal victory.

Telford 3, Hereford 0 Striker Paul Smith didn't wait long to make a statement at Telford's season home opener. He set the tone for a blowout with a quick 1st minute score to put the Bucks up. They never looked back, domianting play on the pitch and putting up a 3-0 lead by halftime. Bulls' striker John Grant, who scored a hat against Chester Saturday, was limited to just one errant shot.

Woking 4, Scarborough 0 The prodigal son returns. Former Woking striker Warren Patmore, who was a leading scorer with Woking two seasons ago, returned from a stint with Rushden in style, scoring a hat trick to blitz Scarborough before the halftime whistle. All four Woking goals came before the midpoint, as they made good on just five shots.

Yeovil 0, Farnborough 0 For the second straight match, Farnborough showed it isn't too big on offense. Fortunately for the Boro, Yeovil wasn't any better. The defensive match featured just seven total shots--five by hometown Yeovil--before succumbing to the draw.

Old 06-18-2003, 04:03 PM   #62
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 21, 2003--midafternoon

Tommy Ridgely: And now for your daily Poppy news...

Many of you have expressed displeasure about the lack of scoring ways your Poppies have exhibited yet int his young season, but have no fear, Mr. Kieta hears you!

Even as we speak, Kettering Town has acquired the loan rights to three separate upper division players, including two strikers. And they are also horning on yet another coach and a couple more scouts.

But the big news comes from Glasgow! Sorry, folks, but Ray Houghton is NOT coming to Kettering Town. He gave a brief interview out front of his home in Scotland earlier today, announcing his decision.

Sound bite, Houghton: "I have decided to turn down Mr. Kieta's offer to join Kettering, after much thought on it. I feel I am more suited to upper division ball, and the Poppies just aren't there yet, although I have confidence they will be there one day."

Is this a bitter blow for Poppies, coming off their miserable performance last night? Or does this just mean more monies for other ends?

Houghton, who delighted us with creative play on the pitch from the grounds of Liverpool and Aston Villa, and whom we hated as a leader of the Irish national side, is regarded as a potential future manager. Did the fact he wouldn't be assistant manager at least figure into it? Houghton wouldn't say, but my gut says yes.

No word yet on who the players or the coaches are that the Poppies are bringing in, but Kettering has announced a press conference tomorrow at the Rock at noon to discuss the moves and the Poppies...

Old 06-18-2003, 04:22 PM   #63
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 21, 2003

Poppies Without Pop--On Offense

by Roger Terndon

On an uncharacteristically chippy July night, the Poppies were well-matched with the cold Tuesday at Stevenage. Well, at least they were on the rare occasions they ventured into the Boro's half of the pitch.

In their own end, they were as lively as ever--because they had to be. Stevenage was all over the place, and no one on the back line could keep up with strikers Charlie MacDonald or Anthony Elding.

The frustration on the Poppies' faces was palpable, and it registered itself with an ugly sort of match that I hope I have tow itness again few times in the future. The Poppies were nailed for 17 fouls, and I wouldn't argue too much with the officials in their calls either.

Not that that stopped the Poppies from doing so. At several points during the match, it was clear the Poppies were at odds with the whistle blowers. Wayne Duik got a dressing down. Danny Holyoak argued with a ref in the first half, and got a yellow card in the second. Niall Inman argued with a ref. Davy Williamson scored a yellow. It was just a brutal ugly match.

And through it all, the Poppies got just one shot off, by Shaun Murray, and they needed a free kick to get a chance at it (Murray shot it wide right).

If rigor mortis is the theme of the offense this season, and bitter in-fighting and ugly fouls is the standard on defense, than this is going to be a long, long season for the Poppies.

Will Saturday's match end the scoring drought for this side? It will be at the Rock, where the Poppies played much better against Barnet, and Scarborough is no Barnet Bees. We can only hope so.

At least it is now clear that manager Matthew Kieta is aware of the problems--we couldn't be too sure before. Word is he has worked out loan agreements for three upper division players, and all the talk this week has been about his filling out his coaching staff.

We'll meet the players and new staff tomorrow, but we won't know their impact for a bit longer, I fear

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-18-2003 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:16 PM   #64
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 22, 2002

Poppies Bring In New Blood

KETTERING-- It appears that Kettering manager Matthew Kieta is finally filling out his coaching staff--just a month later than expected. And maybe he has found some help for the lagging offense as well.

Kettering announced last night that they had successfully negotiated the loans of three new players--striker Chris Thompson from First Division Grimsby Town, forward Ryan Trudgian from the Second Division Plymouth Argyle, and fullback Andy Dowie from none other than the Rangers of Scotland.

They also announced the hiring of their second coach of the week in Raymond Starrett, and of two new scouts in Ian John and Chris Lynch.

The club also confirmed that they had failed to bring Ray Houghton into the Kettering coaching staff, as was reported by numerous media Wednesday and by Houghton himself. Houghton, of Liverpool and international Irish midfield fame, has been considering a return to coaching in recent weeks.

Thompson, 20, is described as a strong striker with a nose for the net and a defensive mentality on the ball. As such, he should be ideal around the box, and tough to kncok off. He has played with the Grimsby Reserves for the past two seasons, before debuting with Liverpool's U-19 squad in 1999.

Trudgian, 18, isn't as developed as Thompson but has some skills that Thompson lacks, including being a tall striker. He is very adept on crosses and can outreach most players, which should make him an ideal target for strong winger crossers like Niall Inman and Wayne Duik. He has played with the Plymouth Reserves and youth squad for three seasons.

The Scotsman Dowie, 19, comes to Kettering as a defender, but early indications are that he will play a more forward position, like defensive midfielder. Dowie is a bit of a hot head at times, by reports, but he is a speedy racer with great foot skills and an eye for the pass. He is also left-footed, which is a rarity on this side. He has been with the Rangers' reserves for two seasons.

All three will return to their teams at the end of the 2002-03 season, barring a future transfer. This fills up three of the Poppies' four allowed slots for loan players, as per Nationwide Conference rules.

The Northern Irish-born Starrett, 35, is considered to be an up-and-coming coach, and both young John, 30, and the veteran Lynch, 52, are considered to be excellent scouting hires for a Conference side.

Kettering has scheduled a press conference at noon at Rockingham Road to announce the moves.

Old 06-18-2003, 07:12 PM   #65
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 22, 2002

Kettering Press Conference

(The scene is similar to the press conference where Matthew Kieta was first introduced. It is under a canopy near the team offices in front of the ground. Both local media and a couple radio reporters are on hand, as well as a healthy grouping of fans, held back by security. A podium sits at the team end of the canopy. At exactly noon, the team offices door opens, and Kieta emerges with his entire coaching and scouting staff, new and old. No players are present, nor is chairman Peter Mallinger, although several representatives of the club's public relations department are present and running the show. Kieta walks up to the podium, as his staff takes some chairs set out behind the podium.)

Kieta: Thank you for coming, ladies and gentlemen of the media. Before we begin, I would like to read a prepared statement about our latest moves, and introduce our new coaches and scouts. Then I will open the floor to questions. And don't be too harsh--the players are at lunch inside and they can hear you all--they are really quite a sensitive bunch...(grins, the media chuckles...)

Kieta: Okay, then let's get to it. {Looking down at a card before him on the podium) I am proud to announce the hiring of two new coaches and two new scouts to the Kettering Town staff, including Shaun Reid (turning and presenting to the appropriate person in turn, each of whom stands briefly), Raymond Starrett, Ian John and Kevin Lynch. I can't say enough about the character and abilities of these four men. I am certain they will make fine additions to what I believe is already as top notch a staff as any in semi-professional football. I also wanted to confirm that we made an approach to Mr. Ray Houghton for a position on the staff as well, but unfortunately, we were unable to agree to terms. I wish Mr. Houghton all the best in what I am certain will be a brilliant career in coaching football. We have also come to loan terms with forwards Chris Thompson of Grimsby Town and Ryan Trudgian of Plymouth, and with defensive midfielder Andy Dowie of the Rangers, whom, of course, are a noted power of the Scottish Premier League. They are still en route to Kettering today and couldn't be here for this press conference, but they will be in uniform on Saturday. It is my belief that every single move today will pay vast dividends to the Poppies and our faithful fans in the future, in the form of both victories and, God willing, promotion to the League. I will know open the floor to questions...Yes, Roger?

Roger Terndon: Can you detail for us how the Houghton negotiations went? And how it came to be that a Conference side like the Poppies would be in the running for a football personalit of his reknown?

Kieta: Sure thing. It really started off as a shot in the dark, Roger. I had heard through the coaching grapevine that Ray was an able coach, and I already know from his playing days that he is a great leader. When he got dismissed from Crystal Palace, I think it was a bit of a shock for him, because he didn't want to leap back into the fold. So he missed out on some of the early openings. Now that we're so far past the preseason, he has probably gotten that itch to retuirn to football in some capacity, even if it's for a Conference side like us. I contacted him, and found that there was some mutual interest. Unfortunately, we weren't able to go much further beyond that.

N C&E beat reporter: Why was that?

Kieta: I'm sure money entered into it a little bit. Right from the beginning we knew we could only offer Ray a fraction of what he could get from a higher division club. But in the end, that mattered little to Ray, I think. As he said yesterday, the fact we weren't at a high enough level was the main stumbling block.

N C&E beat reporter: Did the Houghton negotiations have any effect on your other coaching decisions?

Kieta: Not at all. Shaun was hired before we even got into serious negotiations with Houghton, and Raymond here was going to be hired no matter what, as he will be handling an entirely different area of the coaching staff responsibilities than what I had planned for Ray Houghton.

N.E.T. beat reporter: Could you give us a run down of what those responsibilities will be and how they will be delegated?

Kieta: Sure. Steve is my assistant manager, of course. His main responsiblity is to run the reserve squad and watch over player development, as well as other off-field responsibilities. He is my right hand man. Chris Swift is the guy the players know, from his days coaching under Carl Shutt. He brings us invaluable coaching experience with this side, and is a strong field coach himself besides. Shaun is going to help Steve with the outfield coaching, and is just brilliant at getting the most out of these guys. And Raymond is my personnel and tactical evaluator. I have met few men who can pick out the talent Raymond can, and if there's a person in the Conference who understands the nuances of the various tactics as well as Raymond, I have yet to meet him. Peter Lake and Chris Palmer are my trainers and handle the physical training and keep my players fit. Then Darren Davis, Ian and Chris will handle my scouting.

Roger Terndon: Do you think these new players will kickstart the offense?

Kieta: Honestly, I think we're just going through a bad stretch of form right now. That said, I would imagine that all three will contribute a lot to the offense. What it gives us now that we didn't have before is some depth. I will no longer have to rely on a small number of players to create offense, and I will also have a lot more options for lineup matching. And most important is that the addition of Thompson and Trudgian will allow me to move Shaun Murray back to the midfield, where I think he can be more effective. And Dowie will take some of the pressure off of Murray, Davy Williamson and the wingers to be playmakers.

Tommy Ridgely: There has been talk of Dowie being a difficult player to handle. What have you heard, and how will you handle it?

Kieta: Well, rumors are rumors. No one comes to this club with a reputation, at least not in my book. It's what you do here that matters, and Andy Dowie wil come with a clean slate. I have spoken with Mr. McLeish from the Rangers, and he assures me that, while Andy is passionate and active, he has a fiery heart and a dedicated footballer. I would say that's a pretty good testimonial from a man who would know.

N.E.T. beat reporter: Will all three start?

Kieta: They will get looks, and as with the rest of the players, some will start more than others. It will be the play on the pitch and in practice that determines it, though. I have said before that I will be using a lot of lineup rotation, and that is still true. This season will be a complete team effort, from the most well-respected player to the last reserve on the youth squad.

Mallory Walken, N C&E soccer columnist: Will you be changing your tactics at all to try and generate more offense?

Kieta: That's almost a certainty, Ms. Walken, although I assure you it would likely change as much even with two victories and ten goals to start the season. I have always felt that when you stick with one tactic, the opponents who know you well will learn to break it and beat it. It is inevitable. So I plan to vary my tactics, so opponents won't be able to prepare for us so easily. I won't say what other tactics I am considering, though, since, well, Scarborough might be listening on, you know (winks at the crowd, and smiles)

N C&E beat reporter: Are you concerned at all about starting the season off so poorly? And what about some of the brutal play we saw in Stevenage the other night?

Kieta: I am as concerned as anyone, of course. But I have every confidence in this side. We will get there. We just need to work at it, and I know I have the quality of man I need on this team to make that happen. As for the fouls, I lectured the team about that after the match. I'm not against a little rough housing, but we had way too much arguing with the refs. When you're in a tight match like Tuesday's, you can't afford having the officials run against you as well as the other side. You have to understand, though, that it was a very frustrating evening. I have to hand it to the Boro--they took us out of our game. Only I can be to blame for that--I should have had the players better prepared. Next time, they certainly will be. And, now, folks, thank you for your time, but we must be off. The afternoon practice is going to begin ina few minutes, and my staff and I have yet to hit the lunch line. So thank you again, and be sure to attend our match this Saturday against Scarborough. Good day.

(Kieta walks away from the podium for the team office, leaving the media behind and leading his itinerary of coaches with him.)

Old 06-20-2003, 02:16 AM   #66
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 23, 2002

London Times

Arsenal Purchase DaCourt From Leeds

LONDON-- Seeking some new blood at the back end of their midfield, Arsenal agreed to a £4.2 M transfer fee for the rights to well-regarded French midfielder Olivier DaCourt. DaCourt, in Italy, agreed to join the club soon after the transfer was announced.

DaCourt, 27, had been about to start a loan stint with Roma of the Serie A league in Italy. He was recalled Thursday and is returning to London.

The defensive midfielder was a fixture of Leeds' midfield in 2001-02, but his play became more limited last season. When it became clear that he wasn't going to get more playing time this season, Leeds put him on loan, which led to the brief move to Roma.

DaCourt joins a side which is well-known for its French stars. Striker Thierry Henry, attacking midfielder Robert Pires, and fellow defensive midfielder Patrick Vieira all applauded the decision to bring in their countryman Thursday.

"Olivier is a dedicated and hard-working player," Thierry said. "He will bring new life to this side, and give us excellent depth behind Patrick."

DaCourt has seen some very limited action with the French national team in recent years, appearing three matches so far.

Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger said he had long sought to bring DaCourt over to the Arsenal.

"He belongs here," Wenger said. "Leeds wasn't using him anyway."

Old 06-20-2003, 02:44 AM   #67
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 24, 2002

Northampton Chroncile & Echo

Match Day

KETTERING-- Today brings to conclusion what has been an intriguing week for the Kettering Town Poppies.

They started it last Saturday with a hard fought 2-0 loss against Barnet at Rockingham Road. They also lost an ugly match at Stevenage Tuesday night. And in and around the matches, they made other news.

Kettering's and manager Matthew Kieta's name appeared in national papers most of the week for the Poppies' pursuit of famed Irish midfield star-turned-coach Ray Houghton for a coaching position with the team. Although the venture was unsuccessful, it was notable for being attempted at all by a Conference side.

The failure to land Houghton didn't stop the Poppies from hiring two other coaches in Shaun Reid and Raymond Starrett this week. They also added two well-regarded scouts in Chris Lynch and Ian John.

Finally, the Poppies addressed the team on the pitch, working out loan agreements for three players expected to help the club generate more offense. Striker Chris Thompson from Grimsby Town, forward Ryan Trudgian from Plymouth, and midfielder Andy Dowie from the Rangers are all with the team and are set to make their debut in today's match.

Scarborough comes into the Rock to become the first side to face Kettering with the new additions in place. Scarborough, like Kettering, has yet to score in the Conference season, opening with a 1-0 loss to Stevenage at home last Saturday, and a 4-0 obliteration on the road against Woking.

Other Conference Matches

Match of the Day: Barnet at Doncaster-- The Rovers are rolling right now, having dominated Leigh RMI, 2-0, at home last Saturday, and then following it up with an even stringer 3-1 defeat of Morecambe on the road. The defense has been spectacular, allowing just six total shots in the two matches. The Bees have been nearly as dominant. They did well to come out of Kettering with a 2-0 victory last Saturday, and then they waxed Forest Green, 3-0, in the home opener. Both teams were picked to be among the best in the table prior to the season.

Also tonight:

Woking at Burton Albion
Morecambe at Dag & Red
Southport at Farnborough
Stevenage at Forest Green
Northwich at Gravesend & Northfleet
Yeovil at Halifax
Leigh RMI at Hereford
Scarborough at Kettering
Telford at Margate
Chester at Nuneaton Borough

Old 06-20-2003, 05:21 AM   #68
condors
College Starter

ouch tough start so far
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 05:42 PM   #69
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yes, condors, it has been. Hopefully we can make up for it, though. It's still just two matches, and we were competitive in the Barnet one.

CR

Old 06-20-2003, 07:07 PM   #70
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 24, 2002

Tommy Ridgely: Poppy fans, the start of the match is just seconds away, as the players come on the pitch.

It looks like all three new additions will be in the lineup this week. Chris Thompson will be at Itonga's normal spot, and Ryan Trudgian will be at Murray's. Shaun Murray was pushed back to an attacking midfield spot ina new tactic, which will get to ina bit. Scotsman Andy Dowie will man one of the midfield spots. Also, Brett Solkhon will return to the lineup today after missing the Stevenage match with soreness from last Saturday's Barnet match. Solkhon played strong ball against barnet, and the defense definitely missed him in Stevenage.

Now, for the big news. As Mr. Kieta said he would, he is tinkering with the lineup and the tactics, and today, it appears his men will march out in a three-defender set, mostly huddled in front of the box. Howarth and Norman are back in the center with Solkhon as company.

In front of them will be a full five midfielders, including Murray. Niall Inman and Scott Goodwin will take the wide spots. Dowie and Dany Holyoak will form a defensive midfield middle. And Murray will take the advance position and play the free role that has been thrust upon him so far in this young season.

And, as mentioned, the front crew will feature the Poppies' two new striker additions, Thompson and Trudgian. Will it be TNT, the new powerful striker explosion we have envisioned in our dreams? Or will it be a dud? Only time will tell.

While I am certain both will use any and all means in their disposal to score, Mr. Kieta assured me that Thompson is meant to be the creator, the guy with a iron shot blast, while Trudgian is the air man, the target for those wicked crosses by Inman and Goodwin.

The Boro played a tight match at home against Stevenage last Saturday before falling, 1-0. Tuesday, though, they were absolutely obliterated by Woking on the road. So this is not a hot team by any means. The first goal scored will be the first for either side, assuming one is scored at all, of course. May the Good Lord spare us from a 0-0 slugfest.

The players look set, and the ref is about to blow his whistle. Scarborough will start with it, so let's go to the match...

1st minute

...Campbell cuts it back to David Holdsworth to start it up. Holdsworth has Thompson near him. He moves down to the right wing--still not across the mid line. Thompson approaches...Holdsworth lofts the ball toward the left end of the midline and Dryden. Dryden collects it under pressure--OH! But a sharp interception by Inman! He's got a clear pitch down the right wing, Dryden in pursuit. Woods is moving over...Inman is closing to the corner and turning to the net...Dryden still behind. TNT are approaching the box! Thompson a step on Holdsworth! Inman with the cross...to Thompson!....GOAL! He blasted it passed Woods! And the Poppies are no longer scoreless this young season! What a debut kick for Thompson! Woods was on him, but he just couldn't handle the sheer strength of the Thompson's kick. It flew past him with nary a move toward it, right in the back of the net!...

3rd minute

...Gilroy sets up for the free kick. This one is just outside the box. Bowling is set. He steps up, looks like a shot coming...oh, but he shoots it too high! That shot was nowhere near the net, way over the bar!...

29th minute

...Goodwin with the throw in...Holyoak knocks it back to Norman on the line. Fatokun applying the pressure...but Norman shoots it forward, ricocheting off of Baker...and finds Thompson alone near the box! Thompson is trying to run onto the ball as Henry and Jordan close down, but he gets there...Thompson turns and lifts a floater into the goal box...There's Trudgian! Oh, but a soft header just falls into Woods' hands. Trudgian was well put off by Ridler there, but a nice setup by Thompson...

31st minute

...Inman with the corner...he sends it spiralling high throught he goal box--It's Fatokun with the head clear...Norman leads the mass and reaches is first...still a mass in the box...Norman centres it...Trudgian! Scores! GOOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLL! What a beautiful play, and, oh, the Boro are playing bad defense. How that pass wheedled its way in there I'll never know. There must have been four Boro defenders near Trudgian when he got to that one...he simply turned and powered it to the net, and he was too close for Woods to react in time! The Gods are similing on Mr. Kieta today! Both of his striker adds have scored in their debuts, and the Poppies have a 2-0 lead! Oh, the terraces are swaying...

Halftime

...Well, well, what a difference a loan makes, eh? Kettering holds a commanding 2-0 lead over the Boro, who seem completely unable to get any offense going. The trio of Howarth, Norman and Solkhon have been dominant in the air and with the clear outs, and Norman even nabbed an assist on the Trudgian score. TNT have been fantastic, each scoring today already!...

53rd minute

...Trudgian brings the ball down on his feet in the box! Back to the goal, but turning...OH! Here comes Baker with a nice steal, and Holdsworth clears it to the right...Goodwin comes down with it and advances toward the middle...not under pressure...he turns and knocks it foward, but Woods intercepts and holds!...That was rather weak all around...the defenders were nowhere near, but Goodwin's kick was as soft as a baby's blanket...Woods wasn't even really near the goal...that should have been the Poppies' third notch of the day...

83rd minute

...Goodwin throws it in...he overshot Thompson a bit, Holdsworth is on it...he sends it far up the right wing...Norman collects it with his head...he moves it forward to Goodwin...under pressure...ditches off to Murray in the middle. But Holdsworth takes it and moves down to Jordan...A brilliant push up by Dowie...Trudigan through on goal! Just Woods to beat...to the letf...OH! But he never saw Hotte! A great save by Hotte and he clears it...Wow, but Trudgian read that one well! He saw Dowie go for the tackle and he was right in place to get the rebound...too bad he never saw Hotte, who undercut the ball from the corner before Trudgian could bury it...

Final whistle

...Well, folks, there you have it. The Poppies take a well-played victory from this match, winning 2-0, against slumping Boro side from Scarborough. Thompson and Trudgian both score on a banner day for Mr. Kieta's new additions, and the Boro are fortunate to escape a worse score. Will this be a vision of things to come?...One can only hope...

Old 06-20-2003, 09:59 PM   #71
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 25, 2002

Nationwide Conference Wrap Up[/b]

Burton Albion 2, Woking 1 Christian Moore may not be too well known a striker just yet, but he's working hard to change that. Burton's new striker, who at 29 has never played as high as the Conference, scored two goals early to put the home team up. Burton's early lead and a strong attack helped to put Woking off of it's game, which had been a strong offensive unit to this point in the season. Warren Patmore scored his fourth goal of the season late in the match to close the gap a little.

Dag & Red 3, Morecambe 2 Morecambe must be trying to make up for a much poorer than expected start, because the Daggers, the preseason favorite, had all they could handle on their own pitch to fight the Shrimps off. Dag & Red dorward Danny Shipp did well in a rare start at striker, scoring two goals, both of which broke a tie. The Shrimps' Robbie Talbot, one of the leading returning scorers in the Conference last season, broke his scoreless draught and put in his first goal of the season in the 69th minute to tie it up at 1-1, only to watch Shipp put the Daggers ahead with his second goal in the 79th minute. Daggers' striker Adam Williams put a nail in it with a follow up score in the 82nd minute, although the Shrimps did get another score before time ran out.

Doncaster 3, Barnet 0 The Rovers continue to prove they are the real deal. They solidify their table-topping turn by beating a solid Barnet team, albeit in Doncaster. The match was more tightly contested than it would appear--the Bees just couldn't solve Rover's keeper Andy Warrington, who has conceded just one goal in three matches. Paul Barnes gave the Rovers the lead in the 34th minute, and Greg Blundell and Andy Watson put it away with two goals just three minutes apart in the second half. It was Barnet's first loss of the season, and also the first goals they have allowed.

Farnborough 3, Southport 0 The Boro showed they aren't all about defense after all, as they racked up three scores in dominating the 'Port in a home ground match. Farnborough had scored just one goal up until this match, and had drawn twice, with 0-0 and 1-1 scores in the two matches prior to this one. Veteran Ken Charlery continues to play like it doesn't matter how old he is, putting the Boro up early in the 12th minute with a goal. Attacking midfielder tossed in another in the 42nd minute, and the Boro never looked back. The 'Port got just one shot off all match, and Farnborough ranks among league leaders in defense, having allowed just one goal so far this season.

Stevenage 2, Forest Green 1 The surprise of the season kept on rolling. Stevenage, playing far better than experts figured it would, took its second road match and third straight victory, dominating Forest Green on their own pitch. Charley McDonald continues to make an impact, open the scoring with his third goal of the season int he 43rd minute. In the 50th minute, tough Stevenage pressure figured into an accidental own goal by Rovers' defender Jon Richardson. The Rovers did move within one with Nigerian striker Kayode Odejayi's second gaol of the season int he 56th minute, but in reality, this one was all Boro, with a 12-to-three shot advantage.

Northwich 3, Gravesend & Northfleet 2 Say what you will about the Fleet, but they certainly make for an exciting watch. Neither Gravesend nor Northwich were picked to be among the Conference's best, but they have both used strong offensive attacks to make early names of themselves. The Vics of Northwich made a statement by defeating Gravesend on its own pitch. The match was notched at one apiece going into the final minutes of the game, when Northwich's exciting Carlisle import Johnny Allan scored two in quick succession to put the Vics up for good. True to form, Gravesend got within one before falling in a tightly-played match.

Yeovil 2, Halifax 0 Yeovil keeper Chris Weale has played about as well as anyone so far, and Saturday's road match against former D3 side Halifax is no excpetion. Weale faced off nine shots, including six on target, to keep the Shaymen out of the net. Weale and Yeovil are tied for the Conference league lead with just one goal conceded, and are among the league leaders atop the table at the moment. The Glovers got off strong when striker Adam Stansfield, who is doing very well, scored his third goal of the season in the first minute of the match! Thanks to Weale, that's Yeovil would need.

Hereford 2, Leigh RMI 0 Leigh was so dominated by the Bulls of Hereford, that even a penalty kick and a man-advantage would go for naught. Striker Keith Scott missed a penalty kick in the 73rd minute, and Bulls' defendre Andy Tretton was sent off in the 71st minute, but the Railway Men could still only muster two off-target shots all match. Meanwhile, the Bulls delighted the home ground crowd with two scores in the first half, and ten shots on the net all match.

Kettering 2, Scarborough 0 The Poppies finally got on the board after acquiring a couple new faces to add to their attack. New strikers Chris Thompson and Ryan Trudgian both scored early to put Kettering up, with Thompson getting ont he board with a quick first minute score. The Boro were punchless, and have yet to score this season--their attack whithered in front of a strong Popy defense, and got off just one shot in the road match. Scarborough have the embarrassment of being in dead last in the Conference after three matches.

Margate 1, Telford 1 The Gate were lucky to escape their own pitch with a draw Saturday. They applied the pressure to Telford, but the Bucks were the ones to score first, and they almost made it stand up. Striker Peter Smith scored his second goal of the season in the sixth minute, and Margate struggled to get the equaliser for most of the match. Finally in the 60th minute, Phil Collins scored his third goal of the season to tie it up. Collins, coming off of a miserable season, beat his goal total last year and seems to have returned to the form that made him a leading Conference goal scorer for the Gate in previous seasons.

Nuneaton Borough 1, Chester 1 The Boro did everything but score to beat Chester in their match in Nuneaton Saturday. The Boro put 11 shots on the net to the Blues' three, but they could only come away with a draw. The scoring was over with early, when the Boro's defensive midfielder Barry Williams opened the scoring the 16th minute. Chester's striker Ryan Sugden tied it right back up, though, with a goal int he 17th minute. And despite the Boro's heavy pressure, that was it for the match.

INJURIES & BANS

Chester's attacking midfielder Michael Twiss broke his arm in the match against Nuneaton and will miss about a month.

If Scarborough is to become a better offensive team, they will have to do it without starting striker Neil Campbell for a while. Campbell broke his wrist in the match against Kettering Saturday.

Hereford defender Andy Tretton and Halifax's attacking midfielder Phil Clarkson were both sent off with red cards, and will consequently receive automatic single-game bans.

Old 06-20-2003, 10:33 PM   #72
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 29, 2002

London Times

Man U, Celtic Move on, Newcastle Falls In Champions Cup

CHAMPIONS CUP QUALIFYING-- Manchester United defeated Georgian club Kutaisi 4-0 Wednesday in the former Soviet republic to take a two-leg 8-0 victory and advance to the group stage of the Champions Cup. The Celtic beat FC Flora Tallin of Estonia 1-0 in Glasgow to take their leg 5-1, and also move on.

Newcastle United, however, was not so fortunate, despite a 3-0 defeat of Norway's Rosenborg in Newcastle Wednseday. They lost the leg on aggregate, 4-3, to the Norwegian club, thanks to a 4-0 defeat in Norway last week.

Among some other big name clubs that earned advancement via the qualifying yesterday was Germany's FC Bayern, Barcelona of Spain, AEK Athens of Greece, and Inter of Italy.

Newcastle was not alone in missing out on the group stage. Serie A AC Milan heavyweight also lost its leg yesterday, as did Auxerre of the French First League.

The group stage for the Champions Cup, which features the best European clubs of 2002-03, will start on September 9 in various venues.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-20-2003 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:27 PM   #73
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 31, 2002

Match Day

WOKING-- This week wasn't nearly as noisy as last week.

Kettering will play Woking today at Woking's home ground, the Kingfield Sport Ground, in the side's first action in a week. All Conference teams had the week off, with no midweek match.

Kettering last played last Saturday, when it defeated Scarborough, 2-0, at Rockingham Road in Kettering. Woking is coming off of a 2-1 road loss to Burton Albion.

Both teams have a win and two losses early in the season, although Woking gets the edge with an even goal differential, one better than the Poppies' -1 difference.

Woking has been one of the more exciting clubs to watch in the Conference in this early season. They rank among the league's leaders with seven goals already, but they also are among the league's worst defensively with a matching seven allowed.

The big man to watch is former Yeovil and Rushden star striker Warren Patmore. Patmore has four goals already in just three matches, which is twice as many as all of the Poppies together have scored as a team in the same period.

Other Conference Matches

Match of the Day Doncaster at Stevenage-- This one was easy. The schedule has nicely conspired to give us a matchup of the only two undefeated, un-tied sides in the Conference. The winner's manager probably gets the first Manager of the Month award for the season. The loser gets nothing, of course. For all their record similarities, these teams are coming from two different directions. The Rovers of Doncaster were picked to be a domiannt team this year, and they are proving so every match. They haven't been involved in a close one yet. Stevenage has been likewise dominating ont he pitch, but they haven't been rolling over opponents with their offense, scoring just four goals in their three wins. But Stevenage gets this one at home. Winner takes the spoils.

Also today:

Dag & Red at Barnet
Farnborough at Chester
Margate at Leigh
Hereford at Morecambe
Burton Albion at Northwich
Forest Green at Scarborough
Halifax at Southport
Nuneaton Borough at Telford
Kettering at Woking
Gravesend at Yeovil

Old 06-21-2003, 05:14 AM   #74
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 31, 2002

London Times

Real Madrid Takes The Super Cup

MONACO-- Spanish First Division heavyweight and Champions Cup holder Real Madrid won the 2003 European Super Cup with a dominating 3-0 victory Friday over Dutch Premier Division side Feyenoord.

Forward Raul and French midfield star Zinedine Zidane got Real Madrid off to a strong start with a score each in the first 24 minutes of the match, held on a sunny afternoon in front of 10,995 at Stade Louis II.

Argentinian midfielder Santiago Hernan Solari sealed the deal with a goal in the 61st minute.

Feyenoord, who won the right to play for the Super Cup by winning the UEFA Cup last season, was never really in this match, with Real Madrid dominating the ballplay with its bevy of stars. The Spanish side had 14 shots, including eight on target, to the Dutch club's six and four, respectively.

Real Madrid's French defensive midfielder Claude Makélélé had to leave the match in the eighth minute with an injury, but it turned out to be minor.

Old 06-21-2003, 05:51 AM   #75
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

September 1, 2003

Poppies Win Going Away

WOKING-- The Poppies made a statement with their 3-1 victory over Woking yesterday--this offense is here to stay.

An aggressive offense saw the Poppies overcome the recent past, an early goal, and a hostile home crowd of Woking supporters to take a home a much needed confidence booster.

Scary striker Warren Patmore didn't make it easy, though. He has been exceptional early in the season, leading the Cardinals' strong attack with four goals in three matches. Just four minutes into this one, he was at it again. Forward Chris Sharpling set Patmore up with a fine cross after drawing attention with a run down the right wing. Patmore slipped in behind defenders Lee Howarth and Andy Dowie to get on the ball and put it past keeper Ian Bowling, who had almost no chance at it, for his fifth goal of the season.

The Poppies would not return the favor for a good while, as they pressed, but failed to break Cardinals' keeper Anthony Tucker. Even when they finally did, it was started by a broken freekick attempt by Woking, and went through a number of chances before coming through. In the 40th minute, Boardman blasted a long freekick into the box, but defender Danny Holyoak got to it and booted it forward to forward Carlin Itonga at the midline. Itonga almost lost it under pressure before giving it to backwards midfielder Davy Williamson. Williamson turned the ball down toward winger Wayne Duik on the left wing, but Duik misplayed the ball and almost let it skip out of bounds. Finally, Duik turned around and found Itonga and striker Ryan Trudgian leading their defenders toward the box. A sharp pass to Itonga in the center, was soon followed by a ditch off to Trudgian, who got both Boardman and Tucker to bite on a move to the left before burying a blast into the upper right corner of the net.

It remained tensely knotted at one until the 62nd minute. Once again, this one was started by a Woking freekick gone wrong. Cardinals midfielder Ian Hamilton misplayed a freekick short pass right onto Duik's foot and a clear pitch ahead. Duik immediately took off down the pitch, with Hamilton and the Woking defense desperately trying to catch him. Such was their attention to his end-to-end run that they failed to cover striker Chris Thompson charging into the box. Duik turned near the line and found him for an easy shot past Tucker and the go-ahead goal.

The Poppies had to hang on after that, as Woking was very consistent with pressure, especially with Patmore lurking. Woking would outshoot the Poppies 10-8 in this one.

In the 90th minute, the Cardinals were pressing for a score. Sharpling put a good run into the right corner before turning and blasting a fine crossing pass into the far end of the box. Dean Clark collected it and blasted it toward the left end of the net. Bowling had to make a brilliant save to knock it out left, and Holyoak then cleared it. The ensuing clearing, however, found the Cardinals out of position, and eventually Itonga was able to blast it into the upper right corner for his first score as a Poppy, and thus sealing a hard-fought victory.

The striker combination of Thompson and Trudgian, dubbed "TNT" by some of the local media and fans, each scored for the second match in a row. Itonga was playing for Shaun Murray, who was scratched from starting earlier in the day by a gash to his leg in training. The injury was not expected to impact Murray's availability beyond today's match.

Midfielder Michael Boyle-Ching, however, also suffered a cut to his leg, and it was far more serious. He will be out for a week. Kettering manager Matthew Kieta refused to be specific, but apparently there was an accident on the practice pitch involving a collision between Murray and Boyle-Chong, which resulted in the injuries. Boyle-Chong was not anticipated to play in the match.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-21-2003 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:16 PM   #76
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

September 1, 2002

Barnet 1, Dag & Red 0 Near-freezing temperatures and gale-like winds couldn't stop this match, held at Barnet's home ground in London. And the Daggers eventually failed to stop Barnet from reaching the net. Surprising scorer Craig Pope put one in in the 41st minute for the Bees, finally moving Barnet ahead after a half full of lost chances. Barnet handled Dag & Red, the preseason Conference favorite, pretty well, dominating possession. This was a critical match for both teams, with Barnet anxious to prove ts worth against a quality opponent, and Dag & Red trying to keep up with hot starts by Doncaster and Stevenage.

Chester 2, Farnborough 1 Last year, Irish striker Daryle Clare was a brilliant striker for eventual promotion-winner Boston United. Thus far with his new team, the Chester City Blues, though, Clare has been scoreless--up until Saturday, that is. The end of Clare's three-match scoring draught came in fine fashion, as he netted two goals back-to-back in the 67th and 68th. His offensive explosion broke a tense defensive battle and proves to be the difference for the hometown Blues.

Leigh RMI 1, Margate 0 It seems fitting that a brutal ugly match that featured no less than eight yellow cards, 30 fouls and a major injury should be decided by a penalty shot. Railway Men striker Ged Courtney, brought over from relegated Stalybridge, put a penalty shot past Gate keeper Phil Smith after the Gate's midfielder James Virgo tripped Ben Woods in the box in the 43rd minute. It proved to be the only score in the match. Surprisingly, no one was sent off, despite the rough play. The Railway Men did suffer a blow, though, when starting midfielder Phil Salt hurt his hamstring in the 30rd minute. It was later diagnosed as a torn hamstring, and he will miss at least two months.

Morecambe 2, Hereford 1 Young striker Danny Carlton is doing all he can to get on to the Shrimps' first team. He scored two goals to key a comeback in the second half of Morecambe's home match against the Bulls of Hereford Saturday. Carlton has now scored four goals in three matches, one of which wasn't even a start. Hereford had the advantage when their own striker put one in in the 45th minute, but they were undone by some rough play, as defensive midfielder Robert Sawyers was sent off with his second yellow card shortly after Grant's goal. The man disadvantage proved to be impossible to avoid with carlton playing so well.

Northwich 2, Burton Albion 1 Striker Johnny Allan is making the most of his personal relegation to the Conference. The former Division Three sider opened the scoring for the Vics with his fifth goal of the season in the 20th minute. Fellow striker David McNiven would then score his first goal in two years to put the Vics up 2-0 and coast to the victory. Brewers' striker Christian Moore scored his third goal of the season to get Burton within one, but it was too little, too late in a match played at Northwich.

Scarboroough 3, Forest Green 1 In the end, it was a reserve striker which finally got the Boro out of their offensive doldrums. Young Gary Cohen scored a hat in only the second start of his career to lead the Boro to victory over the Rovers in a home match at Scarborough. The three scores were the first by the side yet this season, which was held scoreless in its first three Conference matches. Vet Rovers striker Neil Grayson got Forest Green the early lead with a notch in the 20th minute, but they were unabl;e to hold onto it.

Southport 2, Halifax 0 It's becoming clearer and clearer that not only was Halifax undeserving of being a Division Three side, but perhaps the Conference is too much for them as well. The Port dominated the Shaymen, limiting their shots to just two, and rooting in Halifax's half of the pitch, in a match at Southport. Still, it remained just a one-goal match for most of full time. Midfielder Steve Soley scored a penalty in the 14th minute, after defender Alistair Asher backed into him in the box. It looked to be the only goal until the Port's reserve striker Paul Wheatcroft scored one in the 83rd minute.

Stevenage 3, Doncaster 0 Rovers who? The Boro showed they are for real in a home match between the only two undefeated, untied sides left in the Conference. Stevenage got an unlikely score from sweeper Jason Goodliffe, before striker Charlie MacDonald scored twice to put this one away by halftime. The match was actually must closer played than it seemed, as the Rovers nearly matched the Boro shot-for-shot (four to five shots on net), and the Boro spent as much time defending their own end as pressing, but it was the Boro that converted on their chances. With this one, Stevenage, who wasn't picked to do squat this season, has moved into a clear position atop the league table, and is the only undefeated, untied club left in the Conference.

Telford 2, Nuneatopn Borough 0 The Bucks dominated this match, held on their home pitch in Telford, holding Nuneaton to just two shots on goal for the match. The difference maker was Welsh striker Peter Smith, who scored both Telford goals for his third and fourth goals of the season. One of the goals was a penalty, which he was rewarded after Boro defender Jon Dyson tripped him up in the box while both were pursuing an errant pass.

Kettering 3, Woking 1 The Cardinals failed to capitalize on the fifth goal of the season by their exciting striker Warren Patmore, and lost a hard-fought offensive showdown with the Poppies on their own pitch in Woking. The two sides combined for 18 shots on net, but after Patmore's score in the fourth minute, the Cardinals couldn't solve Kettering keeper Ian Bowling. Newly acquired strikers Ryan Trudgian and Chris Thompson both scored to give the Poppies the lead, and then forward Carlin Itonga put int he game-clincher in the final minutes. Woking actually outshot Kettering 10-8.

Yeovil 1, Gravesend 1 The matchup of the Conference's best offense and best defense went more toward Yeovil's philosophy--but Gravesend & Northfleet got the important road draw, and almost came away with a victory. Backup forward Welshman Kevin Gall managed to put a floater in over the head of the Fleet's keeper Paul Wilkerson to tie it up as the final minutes dwindled in Saturday's match at Yeovil. The clutch Gall was a long time in coming, as the Glovers seemed to be the stronger team for much of the match, despite being downa goal. Gravesend's goal came early, on a forward Mark Bentley score in the 27th minute. Yeovil had to survive playing with a man disadvantage after Jimmy Aggrey was sent off shortly after Gall's goal with a tough tackle-turned-trip. They also faced down an open-pitch challenge and a couple corner kicks by the Fleet before holding on to the draw they had just earned.

INJURIES & BANS

While there were several players who left Conference action today for minor injuries, the only major injury was to Leigh midfielder Phil Salt, who tore a hamstring in the 30th minute of their match with Margate. Salt will likely be off the pitch until at least November.

Yeovil Town defender Jimmy Aggrey was sent off for a professional foul for tripping in the Glovers' draw with Gravesend & Northfleet, and Hereford's defensive midfielder Robert Sawyers acquired two yellows before being summarily booted from his side's loss to Morecambe. Both will miss at least the automatic one-match that accompanies any red cards.

Old 06-22-2003, 07:36 PM   #77
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

September 1, 2002

London Times

Champions Cup Groups, Fixtures Set

LONDON-- Four United Kingdom clubs discovered their destinations for the vaunted Champions League competition Saturday when the group stage was announced.

Arsenal will play in Group A, Manchester United in Group B, Liverpool in Group F and the Celtic of Scotland in Group H. None will have an easy road to the Champions League playoffs.

Arsenal may be in arguably the toughest grouping, where they are grouped with thw top two sides from France and Germany in Lens and FC Bayer, respectively.

Manchester United, who had to win through the last qualifying round to get in, will have to face off with Deportivo from Spain and Leverkusen of Germany, among others.

Liverpool has AEK Athens and Lyon from France, and they may end up with UEFA Cup holder and Dutch side Feyenoord, too--Feyenoord faces off with Lithuanian club Kaunus in a Super Cup delayed qualifying match on Wednesday to determine the last member of the group.

Celtic, which, like Man Utd, had to win their way into the competition, get no favors from the draw, with powerful top Italian side Juventus in their grouping, along with top Russian club Spartak Moscow and Norway's Rosenborg--which defeated Newcastle in two qualifying legs to get this far.

Outside of the groups holding British sides, the most oustanding appears to be Group E, which includes top Spanish side and defending Champions Cup holder Real Madrid, powerful Italian club Inter, and top notch PSV from the Dutch Premier Division.

All four British clubs will play their first matches on Thursday.

Arsenal's first match will be a road tilt with FC Bayern in Munchen, Germany. Manchester United gets Latvian side Skonto at home. Liverpool will host AEK Athens. And Celtic goes to Trondhiem to play Rosenborg.

Here are the groupings:

Group A-- Racing Club Len (France); Arsenal (England); FC Bayern München (Germany); SK Sturm Graz (Austria)

Group B-- Bayer 04 Leverkusen (Germany); R.C. Deportivo de la Coruña SAD (Spain); Manchester United (England); FK Skonto Riga (Latvia)

Group C-- AFC Ajax (Netherlands); Valencia C.F. SAD (Spain); Fenerbahçe SK (Turkey); FC Partizan Belgrade (Yugoslavia)

Group D-- AS Roma (Italy); Olympiakos Piraeus (Greece); Sporting Club de Portugal (Portugal); Lokomotiv Moscow (RUS)

Group E-- Real Madrid C.F. (Spain); PSV (Netherlands); Internazionale (Italy); Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine)

Group F-- Liverpool (England); Olympique Lyonnais (France); AEK Athens (Greece); Feyenoord (Netherlands) or FB Kaunus (Lithuania)

Group G-- Borussia Dortmund (Germany); Galatasaray SK (Turkey); F.C. Barcelona (Spain); Slovan Liberec (Czech Republic)

Group H-- Juventus (Italy); Spartak Moscow (Russia); Celtic (Scotland); Rosenborg BK (Norway)

Old 06-22-2003, 07:59 PM   #78
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

September 1, 2002

Conference Awards Announced

LONDON-- The Nationwide Conference announced the winners of the league's monthly awards for August, the first of the new season.

Woking striker Warren Patmore received the Player of the Month award, after scoring five goals and assisting on another in four matches. He received two Men of the Match in August.

Morecambe's striker Danny Carlton, 18, earned the Young Player of the Month award, with an explosive four goals in just two matches, one of which wasn't even a start.

In a surprising move, the Conference gave the Manager of the Month award to Barnet's Danny Mason. Barnet won three of its first four matches with shutout victories, but the Bees also were dominated by Doncaster, 3-0, in their loss.

Meanwhile, Doncaster's manager David Penney put up essentially the same record, but in more dominating fashion and his side defeated Barnet directly. And, of course, neither Penney nor Mason would have been expected to receive the award over Graham Westley, the manager of table-topping side Stevenage, the only undefeated, untied side in the league, and owner of a 3-0 defeat of closest rival Doncaster on Saturday.

"I think that's a shame," Kettering manager Matthew Kieta said. "Not to take away from Mason, but Westley deserved that award more than anyone I know."

Kieta's side was itself handily defeated by Stevenage in the teams' second matches of the season.

Old 06-23-2003, 01:22 AM   #79
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

September 1, 2002

Tommy Ridgely: "Welcome, Poppy Fans, to another edition of "Popping Off", the one and only local radio show dedicated to bringing you the news and highlights you want to hear about your favorite side, the Kettering Town Poppies!

Tonight we will review the Poppies' fantastic win over the Cardinals of Woking yesterday, including interviews. We will also have an update on the conditions of Shaun Murray and Michael Boyle-Chong after an accidental practice collision between the two in pre-match drills Saturday deprived the team of their services for the Woking match and maybe more. And, of course, we will field calls so, you, our callers can voice out your praise, or more likely, your frustration with the way the Poppies play the fine game of football.

But as always we have some news to report.

Yes, as expected the Conference did name its August awards today, but this is even bigger. What would be Kettering fans' biggest fear come true, even worse than relegation? That would, of course, be anything that might eliminate the Poppies from existence.

Well, share your prayers for the fans of Hereford, folks, because the Bulls' creditors have called out the wolves, and their fans may be realizing that same deep fear we all fear for our own favorite sides. After weeks of bankruptcy, the club has been forced to call in receivers, whom have taken over the club and are at this moment peering over mounds of financial statements and asset assessments, in order to come up with the cash to pay off their debt.

The exact details of the debt were not given out, and Chairman Graham Turner refused comment when approached about the bankruptcy today.

All transfer funds have reportedly been taken away from the club, and, as those of us who follow football know, it is often free reign on the players there, who are sold off at bargain basement prices to get the club back in the black.

I'm sure my listeners are not happy that this has befallen Hereford, but the fact of the matter is that this can help our Poppies in a couple ways.

First off, since financial health is unlikely to be achieved by the end of this year, it seems like a given that one of the three relegation spots for the Conference will have to be given to Hereford, which will probably not be able to meet the financial requirements to stay in the league, regardless of where they end up in the table. With one less relegation spot available, plenty of lower end sides, as the Poppies were once predicted to be, can breathe a little easier about their ability to remain in the league for at least one more season. Of course, given the sharp play on the pitch yesterday, I am certain many of are at this very moment scoffing at the notion we might be relegated. Well, remember, everyone, it's a long season, and two victories a season do not make.

The second reason, of course, is one which will have already occurred to you all. And that is, are the Poppies interested in acquiring any of Hereford's suddenly available talent? How about striker John Grant, who scored a hat trick in a match a couple weeks ago? Or young Danny Williams, with four assists in four matches? Or speedy Portuguese forward Albano Correia? Or fine young winger Paul Perry? Or will someone else step in and take them instead?

It should at the very least be a topic of debate as the season progresses. As of yet, we don't even know if Chairman Peter Mallinger has any plans to make any transfer funds available, or even if he has already. So anything to be said now can only be speculation. But I certainly hope that if there is someone good there to be had--and it seems likely there is--that they take them before the rest of the Conference comes in and tears them apart.

And, now, to our next bit of news...the fraud that is the Conference Manager of the Month award...

Old 06-23-2003, 01:31 AM   #80
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

September 5, 2002

London Times

Feyenoord Beats Kaunus To Champions Spot

KAUNUS, Lithuania-- Feyenoord of the Dutch Premier Division defeated Lithuanian side FB Kaunus, 2-0, on its home pitch, the Darius ir Gireno sc, Wednesday tyo advance to the Champions League group stage.

Feyenoord, who holds the UEFA Cup from the 2002-03 season, had to delay the match when the Champions League qualifying round conflicted with last week's Super Cup, the annual early seaosn match up between the Champions Cup and UEFA Cup holders.

The victory gave Feyenoord an overall 5-0 lead after two legs. The Dutch side will now be a part of Group F int he Champions League group stage, which, among others, contains top English side Liverpool.

The group stage opens up tonight for most clubs.

Old 06-23-2003, 01:39 AM   #81
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

September 5, 2002

Asombamg Hurt In Training

KETTERING-- Backup striker Victor Asombamg hurt his toe practicing defensive maneuvers in training Wednesday. The stubbed toe will likely put him down for a week, and force him to be unaavailable for next Tuesday's match with Forest Green, and even possibly the Doncaster match on September 14.

The injury is not considered serious and should not limit Asombamg at all once he is healed, trainer Peter Lake said.

In other injury news, midfielder Shaun Murray seems to be completely healed from his minor collision with fellow midfielder Michael Boyle-Chong in prematch drills Saturday. Murray and Boyle-Chong both suffered leg gashes int he accidental collision, although Boyle-Chong got the worst of it. The collision made both unavailable for Saturday's win over Woking, and might cost Boyle-Chong any shot at playing against Forest Green as well.

Old 06-23-2003, 02:40 AM   #82
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Friday, September 6, 2002

London Times

Arsenal Falls To Bayern In Champions League

MÜNCHEN, Germany-- Arsenal fell, 2-1, to powerful German club FC Bayern in a tough opener for Champions League Group Stage A.

Arsenal received a score from star Dutch striker Dennis Bergkamp, but two goals by top veteran midfielder Mehmet Scholl proved to be enough to beat the English side in a tight match. Scholl's second goal didn't break the tie until the 76th minute had gone by in Münchner Olympiastadion, FC Bayern's home ground.

In other Champions League action, Manchester United blasted Latvian side Skonto, 3-0, at Old Trafford in Manchester to open Group Stage B. Dutch striker Ruud van Nistlerooy scored in the 11th minute to get the scoring going, and Man Utd put a frightening 20 shots on goal, compared to just one by Skonto. Paul Scholes and Daniel Nardello also both scored for Manchester United.

Liverpool was similarly strong at Anfield in Liverpool, defeating AEK Athens, 3-0, even without top scorer and striker Michael Owen, who tore a groin muscle in training Wednesday and will miss about a month. Liverpool had its three goals by the 16th minute, two of which were scored by striker Emile Heskey, whose time has been cut short by the presence of Owen and whom will likely see more pitch time.

Scotland's Celtic got a measure of revenge for United Kingdom football fans when they slammed Norwegian side Rosenborg, 3-0, in Trondheim, Norway. Rosenborg eliminated top English side Newcastle from Champions League contention in the qualifiers last week. Dominant Swedish striker Henrik Larsson got the ball rolling against his fellow Scandinavian opponents with a goal in the 22nd minute. Celtic then added two more via Alan Thompson penalty shots, as Rosenborg resorted to questionable moves to try and limit Celtic's runs into the box.

The Phase 1 Group Stage now underway will continue until mid-November, when the top two sides in each grouping will move onto the Phase 2 Group Stage.

Football Notes

Liverpool's reserve defensive midfielder John Welsh, 18, told media Thursday after the match that he was disappointed with his current pay.

Welsh, a well-regarded up-and-coming prospect who has yet to see any time with the first team, currently makes £24,000 per year, but the contract runs out on January 10, before the current Premier League fixture even wraps up.

"I just feel I am worth more than this," Welsh said. "I will need to have a significant raise if Mr. [Gérard] Houllier expects me to remain at Anfield."

Houllier refused to comment on Welsh after the match, prefering to speak about Liverpool's win over AEK Athens in the Champions League group stage opener.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-23-2003 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:17 AM   #83
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Sunday, September 8, 2002

London Times

Real Madrid Brings On Deco

MADRID, Spain-- World reknowned club power Real Madrid added to its legacy some more with a move which will likely send shockwaves throughout La Liga and in football around the world.

On Saturday, the club arranged for the £9 millon transfer of stellar playmaker-midfielder Deco from Portuguese club Porto. Deco is regarded as one of the most creative players on and off the ball in the world.

Deco, 25, is currently recuperating from a torn groin muscle suffered in late July, but is expected to be back by the end of the month.

Deco scored 13 goals for Porto in the Superleague last season, although he is much more known for creating the goals of others. He joins midfield and forward line which are already stocked with stars like Raul, Renaldo, Figo and Zidane.

Old 06-23-2003, 09:50 AM   #84
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Fantastic stuff Chief. I am enjoying this thoroughly. I really like the addition of news from the Champions League and the like. It reminds us that the Kettering dynasty does not exist within a vacuum, but there is other football going on in the world as well.

I do have a question for you. I realize it's early in the season yet, and CM4 has lost its printing capabilities, but do you have any intentions of including the conference table, once per month or so? With 22 (right?) sides in the Nationwide, I think it might help us to follow along and see how our beloved Poppies are doing in the standings.

Table or not, this is excellent stuff Chief. A great read. Thanks.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 03:28 PM   #85
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, yes, DataKing, I do plan on including tables. In fact, I was already thinking about setting up the first one for after the Doncaster match (September 14). I wanted to get a little into the season, so the table would have some meaning at least, and I figure six matches ought to do the trick.

BTW, I will also be covering the English national team and the UEFA Cup, in addition to the Champions League. I am still deciding how far to take information about the EPL and the sub-divisions, although I am leaning to doing regular updates of sorts on the goings on in at least the top two leagues as well. I am a little more iffy on doing D2 and D3 info right now, as well as the other UK leagues (although Scotland First might be an exception). But I am playing it by ear on those.

And, of course, if something major in the football world happens, I plan on telling you all about it in some form or another.

Thanks for the kind words, and keep reading.

Chief Rum

Old 06-24-2003, 06:48 AM   #86
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Tuesday, September 10, 2002

Match Day

FOREST GREEN-- It seems like the entire English football world take the last week and change off to start up the Champions League.

Well, now that the top European club competition is under way, it's time for the rest of the teams to get back to business--which for Kettering means a visit to The Lawn, home ground of the Forest Green Rovers.

The entire Conference is back in action tonight after not playing since August 31.

Kettering manager Matthew Kieta said he expects no hangover from the long layover.

"That's why we train as hard as we do," Kieta said Monday. "There are odd breaks like this throughout the schedule, but we're professionals. We just deal with it and move on."

The two sides meeting tonight at 7:30 at the Lawn seem to be otherwise moving in opposite directions. Forest Green opened the season with an impressive victory shutout victory over one of the preseason favorites in Morecambe, but have since lost three in a row--while Morecambe has itself been proving itself to be more of an underachiever than a contender.

Meanwhile, the Poppies appear to be in the midst of a turnaround after losing the first two matches of the season. They have won the two matches since, including an impressive road match against Woking in their last visit to the pitch. Nonetheless, road matches are never easy at any level of English football.

Midfielder Shaun Murray, who missed the Woking match with a gashed leg, is healthy and available tonight. Backup midfielder Michale Boyle-Chong, though, is still out with a similar injury, and backup striker Victor Asombamg is also unavailable, due to a stubbed toe suffered in tarining last week.

Other Conference Matches

Match of the Night: Stevenage at Dag & Red-- A month ago, you might have laughed at a Stevenage visit to Victoria Road as being a highlight match of the fixture. Well, that's why they play them out. Stevenage is currently sitting atop the Conference table all by its lonesome, after handing the only other undefeated, untied side, Doncaster, a nasty defeat on August 31. Stevenage has won all four of its matches so far, and most in impressive fashion. Meanwhile, preseason favorite Dag & Red, while playing solid ball, has proven more vulnerable, losing tight one-goal matches to Barnet and Leigh RMI in its two road tilts. One team will be seeking to further prove its skills and move further ahead of the pack, while the other will be trying to reassert itself as the top contender for promotion.

Also tonight:

Yeovil at Burton Albion
Scarborough at Doncaster
Telford at Farnborough
Kettering at Forest Green
Southport at Gravesend
Chester at Halifax
Barnet at Hereford
Morecambe at Margate
Woking at Northwich
Leigh RMI at Nuneaton Borough

Old 06-24-2003, 11:12 PM   #87
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

September 10, 2002

Tommy Ridgely: Welcome, Poppy fans, to a dry cool evening of football here at the Lawn in Forest Green. Your Poppies of Kettering will try to keep up the run of good form they have displayed in their previous matches by going against the Forest Green Rovers tonight.

The Poppies have seemingly rebounded from a bad start to the season by winning two matches in a row, including a well-played road win over the Woking Cardinals on August 31, smacking them 3-1.

The difference seems to be the TNT crew that manager Matthew Kieta brought in on loan to score for this bunch. I'm speaking of new strikers Chris Thompson and Ryan Trudgian, who each have two goals int he two matches they have played. Thompson from Grimsby Town has amazed with his nose for the net, and Trudgian from Plymouth has been one hard worker, playing tall in the box.

But a road match is never an easy thing in the Conference, so this should be another fight for the Poppies. The Rovers have lost three in a row, but they have looked good in spots, and can be very dangerous. The man to keep an eye on? Nigerian striker Kayode Odejayi! He's fast and he can finish, and in any league that makes him lethal. He has two goals in the first four games, including the difference in Forest Green's only win, a 1-0 count over Morecambe in the Conference season opener last month.

Ian Bowling gets another start in the net tonight. Lee Howarth gets the night off--nothing to worry, folks, just time for him to sit, says Mr. Kieta--so Craig Norman is in the middle of a three-centreback line. He is flanked by Martin Matthews, in his first action of the season, and Brett Solkhon, who has been so impressive early on here. Scott Goodwin returns on the left wing after sitting out the Woking match, and Wayne Diuk moves to the right, as Niall Inman will have the night off as well. Davy Williamson gets the nod in the middle, where he will paired with first time starter Mark Cartlidge. At the critical forward midfield spot, the versatile Shaun Murray returns to the pitch. He missed the Woking match after a minor training injury resulted in a cut to his leg. It is all healed, though. Murray's return allows Mr. Kieta to rest Trudgian, so he does. Congo-man Carlin Itonga will start up front, where he is paired with the exciting Thompson.

That is your starting lineup, Poppy fans, and the action is about to begin, so let's get to it...

14th minute

...Matthew Russell has it under pressure and it moves back to Langan across the midline...but Langan misplays it and it goes by! And Itonga is on it! He's got it and is racing down the wing! Langan on his heels...Itonga turns and fires a great pass to Murray in the middle...Wow, Murray is open...he's charging into the box. Jones and Russell closing...To the left, and he fires! GOOOOAAALLLLLLLLL! Murray with the vicious high kick! It blasts past Steve Perrin for the first goal of the game! Russell and Jones almost closed him down, but Murray had the angel, and he just shot it right over Perrin and into the top of the net! 1-0, Poppies! On Murray's first goal of the season...

27th minute

...Duik with a short toss in to Williamson...Williamson moves it up to Thompson...Thompson being crowded near the midline...he sends it forward...OH! Itonga has a step! And Thompson found Itonga! It's just Itonga and Perrin...Itonga into the box...kicked high...GOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLL! The Poppies score again, on a miserable defensive breakdown by the Rovers! Itonga simply slipped in behind Russell and Jones, and he had the whole pitch in front of him! A brilliant pass by Thompson to find him, too! As for Perrin, he just misplayed it...he guarded the open night to the left, but left just enough near corner for Itonga to hit it high...And Itonga has scored his first goal ever as a Poppy...

35th minute

...Langan with the high toss in to Russell...OH! But Murray squeezes in and beats him in the air! He moves it up far to Itonga! Itonga has the step on Jones again! He's been beating him all day. He centers it to Thomspon...to Willaimson...nice tackle Foster...but it's to Murray and he's into the box...shoots...a brilliant save by Perrin! The ball bounds to the goal line...but Itonga's going to get to it first! He fires...into the side netting! No goal! It would have been tough from that angle anyway....back to the save...an absolutely brilliant one by Perrin...he moves out on Murray, but Murray gets the shoit off before he can close...he stays in front solid and knocks the ball off to the side...Of course, Itonga almost caught him watching his own handiwork...Rovers with the goalkick...

38th minute

...Russell with the freekick from his own pitch...he lofts a long one up there, this will fall close to the box...Solkhon with the nice header back into the middle of the pitch...Jones reaches it before Norman...sends a sharp pass down toward the left line...but Duik is there and he lifts it forward into the Rovers' side of the pitch...Thompson and Itonnga are racing to the ball, with company...but Thomspon gets there, and he's into the box...the shot...GOOOOOOAAAAALLLLLL! Thompson with the floater over a flailing Perrin, who came forward a little too far! The Poppies now hold a commanding 3-0 lead! Once again, Perrin is burned by his own defense...Russell was with Thompson the whole way until he fell off near the end. If he stays on him, that's not an easy shot for Thompson...as it was, Perrin was Poppy-fodder...

45th minute

...McLaughlin with a long toss toward the box...Grayson and Norman jump...and Norman with the nice header clear out...well, that's clear into Rover territory...and again! Thompson is on it! Foster is on his heels...but itonga is free int he box...Thompson blasts the pass...Itonga...OH! Off Perrin...race to the ball...no, Perrin has it. So close for the striker from the Congo! Thompson put that cross right on Itonga's foot, but Perrin was ready for the rebound, sending it off left...then he beat Itonga to it to stop the play...So close...the Poppies almost went into the half up four...

Halftime

...Kettering is blasting Forest Green! They have the 3-0 lead on the Rovers, with big goals by Murray and Itonga, their first of the season. And, Thompson, oh Thompson! If this is what we can expect for him, I'll pay his transfer fees myself, I think! He scores his third goal of his young young Poppy career, in less than three matches...The Poppies' defense is spot on right now...they haven't let the Rovers even get a shot off on Bowling, but Steve Perrin is breaking a sweat on the other side, defending against eight shots...

63rd minute

...Jenkins collects the ball near the left wing line and sends a long shot into the action...Grayson and Norman up with it...Grayson gets it, but he sends it to Foster...but Matthews intercepts it and blasts it right!....at McLoughlin! The kick! Bowling leaps out and bats it away left! Solkhon to it first, and he sends it away long...Nice play by Matthews, but what on Earth was he thinking to hit it cross like that...Good thing, Bowling was awake...

81st minute

...Langan to Russell on the toss...but Murray gets int he way and it's to Goodwin...he sends it forward long...Thompson might have it in the circle...no, it bounds past him...a misplay by Thompson...Jenkins reaches it...he turns...and he sends it long toward the box...Grayson and Norman again...Grayson with the header...OH! A nice save by Bowling, as he turns it away for the corner...No, it's an offside! Grayson was too far foward after all...Nice save by Bowling all the same...

Full Time

...What can I say, everyone? If you have been paying attentiuon you know what has happened. The Poppies appear to be ona roll and playing as fine a game of football as I have yet sene from them in recent seasons. Well played, Poppies, as Kettering takes the big road match 3-0 over Forest Green...

Old 06-25-2003, 12:33 AM   #88
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

September 11, 2002

Mallinger Praises Club After Win

FOREST GREEN-- Kettering chairman Peter Mallinger said he was very pleased with the club's performance after a 3-0 win over Forest Green Tuesday night.

"The guys are playing very well right now. Mr. Kieta really seems to have them playing in good form," Mallinger said at the Lawn, Forest Green's home ground. Mallinger tries to attend as many road games with the club as possible.

Mallinger has for the most part kept his silence since he hired the heretofore unknown Matthew Kieta as the new manager of the Kettering Town Poppies. He has weathered the complaints from fans and media when Kieta did little to improve the team from outside, and he stayed silent throughout the Poppies' early troubles in the Conference season.

Now that Kieta seems to have turned the side around, though, Mallinger is ready to support his choice.

"I think we can safely put that start behind us right now, and move on to a fruitful Conference season," Mallinger said. "I have never had a doubt that Mr. Kieta was the right choice for the job, but it's always nice when your convictions proive true."

With the 3-0 win over Forest Green, the Poppies moved into a tie for sixth place with Yeovil Town and Dag & Red, with nine points. The Poppies have won three in a row, including two straight road matches over the Rovers and Woking.

Kieta was more guarded in his enthusiasm.

"The guys did play well tonight, but we're just five matches into the fixture," Kieta said. "There's a lot of season left to go. I'm sure we're going to have bad stretches, too, and I would prefer to hold judgement until the end of the season. But I am happy that the recent play has pleased Mr. Mallinger and the fans."

The Poppies blitzed the Rovers Tuesday night, getting three goals before the first half was up and riding the lead to an easy victory in the second half.

Midfielder Shaun Murray, returning to the lineup after missing the Woking match with a minor injury, got the ball rolling when he knocked in a sharp left-footed shot in the 14th minute. He was set up beautifully by striker Carlin Itonga, who freed up room for the shot with a wing-spanning pitch run.

It was not long before the Poppies were knocking on the door again. In the 27th minute, striker Chris Thompson laid forward a beautiful pass to a streaking Itonga, who had slipped behind the defense as the pass was lofted. Itonga took it into the box and put the shot into the upper right corner of the net, leaving Rovers' keeper Steve Perrin to stare at it.

Then in the 38th minute, winger Wayne Duik lifted a long pass forward into Rovers territory, and Thompson just flat out beat the defense to it. Perrin tried to come forward, but Thompson lofted it over his head for a floating score and a commanding 3-0 lead.

The Poppies outshot the Rovers 8-0 in the first half, although the game-ending tally was 8-4. Kettering went into a defensive mode in the second half and just held onto their lead.

Defender Brett Solkhon, in particular, was dominating in the Poppies' own end and figured in several key defensive plays. It was his header which would eventually set up the third goal. His performance was so strong in fact that he was awarded the Man of the Match, over both Thompson and Itonga, who had a goal and an assist each.

Not all was good news for the Poppies, though. Shortly after the match, Kieta revealed that Thompson had picked up a knock, and hurt his neck.

"It's just one of those things," Kieta said. "A header gone awry. [Trainer] Peter [Lake] says he will be fine with some rest for a couple weeks, but he's not going to be available for matches during that time."

Thompson, the Poppies leading goal scorer with three so far, will likely be very missed with a key home match against table-topping Doncaster coming up this Saturday.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-25-2003 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:35 AM   #89
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

September 11, 2002

Burton Albion 1, Yeovil 1 Yeovil pressed hard against the Brewers of Burton, but in the end they fell just short of what could have been a key Conference road victory. Striker Adam Stansfield scored his fourth goal of the season in the 10th minute, and Yeovil kept Burton off the net for much of the rest of the match to try and make it stand up. Unfortunately for the Glovers, forward Andy Ducros finally managed to get in close in the 67th minute, and he scored it to tie it up. Also, longtime Yeovil midfield starter Nick Crittenden suffered a serious calf strain near the end of the match that will likely put him down for the rest of the month.

Dag & Red 3, Stevenage 1 They're human after all. The Boro received a shock when the Daggers pushed two across in the dwindling injury time at the end of their match at Dagenham Tuesday. Striker Steve West scored his second goal of the game and the tie-breaker just seconds into extra injury time after the 90th minute. A minute and change later, midfielder/striker Danny Shipp scored his third goal of the season, knocking in a long shot that seemed to catch Stevenage keeper Lionel perez by surprise. Both of the late goals actually hit Perez and were either misplayed or rebounded into the net. The Daggers showed some resolve, playing the table-topping Boro at home, as they fell behind 1-0 on a Justin Richards score early int he second half after a tight, defensive first half. West tied it up with his first goal int he 70th minute. Only eight total official shots were taken in the match. Players for Dag & Red, the preseason favorite to achieve promotion, said that the match was a statement game, what with surprising Stevenage being the only remaining undefeated untied side in the Conference.

Doncaster 1, Scarborough 0 The Rovers dominated the Boro of Scarborough defensively, limiting them to just two shots for the match Tuesday in Doncaster. Much of the match was played in front of Scarborough's goal, although Doncaster finished with just seven shots on the goal itself. It was almost for naught until the 54th minute, when Scottish forward Jamie Peterson scored his second goal of the season. It proved to be the difference, as the Rovers used the victory to vault back into a tie with Stevenage atop the Conference table.

Farnborough 1, Telford 0 It's maddening to play solid defense all match, only to fall in the final minutes. But then, with as many shots as the Boro peppered the Bucks' net with shots, it seems fitting they should finally manage to get the win, as they certainly earned it. St. Lucian striker Ken Charlery pushed across his third goal of the season in the 89th minute of the match, held on a gusty cold night in Farnborough. The Boro had nine shots to the Bucks' two, and neither of the Bucks' shots were even on target.

Kettering 3, Forest green 0 Kettering continued its good run of form of late by pasting the sad Rovers of Forest Green on their own pitch. The Poppies scored three goals by halftime and coasted to the victory, their third in a row. The Rovers, meanwhile, have now lost four matches in a row. The first two goals were scored by well-respected midfielder Shaun Murray and Arsenal import forward Carlin Itonga, before the noted loan striker Chris Thompson finished things off with his third goal in three matches. The Poppies did get some bad news when Thompson suffered a neck sprain which will likely remove him from matches for at least two weeks.

Gravesend 0, Southport 0 Two matches ago, the Fleet were as strong an offensive side as any in the Conference. But their performances of late are shedding doubt about that. After scoring nine goals in their first three matches, they have now scored just one in two matches, including getting shutout by Southport's keeper Steve Dickinson in Northfleet. The Fleet got seven shots off, including four on net, but failed to solve the keeper and settled for the scoreless draw.

Chester 3, Halifax 1 Exciting irish striker Daryle Clare is quickly reminding everyone of what an exciting goalscorer he proved to be with the since-promoted Boston United last season. He scored two goals to lead the Blues to a critical road victory over the Shaymen of Halifax Tuesday night. It is Clare's second straight two-goal match. Halifax moved a little closer in the 79th minute when reserve striker Ian Fitzpatrick scored his first goal of the season on a penalty kick, but reserve midfielder Ben davies iced the win for the Blues with his first goal of the season in the dwindling minutes of the match.

Hereford 1, Barnet 1 The Bulls showed they weren't going to let bankruptcy or Bees get in the way of a key match. They played tough Barnet to a standstill at home Tuesday night, and almost came away with the victory, just two days after it was reported they had been placed in receivership. Welsh midfielder Paul parry, perhaps trying out for other clubs, scored his first goal of the season to put Hereford up in the 30th minute. Unfortunately, the Bees kept pressign and finally got the equaliser when reserve striker Toby Oshitola scored int he 76th minute.

Margate 2, Morecambe 1 The Gate wasted little time getting a lead in this one. Striker Phil Collins scored his fourth goal of the season in just the fourth minute, and his frontline partner, French striker Jean-Michel Sigere, scored his first goal of the season just two minutes later to give Margate a lead they would never relinquish. They didn't score the rest of the match, but ti certainly wasn't for lack of trying, as the Gate piled up 12 shots to the Shrimps' five. Morecambe did move within one in the 73rd minute when striker Robbie Talbot scored his second of the season, but it was too little, too late.

Northwich 0, Woking 0 Neither side could get much offense going in a tight defensive match at Northwich Tuesday night. Only nine shots total were taken in the match, and both defenses proved up to the challenge, despite the fact that seven of the shots were on target. The Vics' keeper Ben Connett was particularly spectacular, saving five shots on net to preserve the shutout and the home draw.

Nuneaton 4, Leigh 1 Nuneaton did all the scoring tonight, even going so far as to score for Leigh when Leigh itself couldn't solve the Boro's defense. Scottish defender Paul Brown's accidental own goal in the sixth minute actually gave the Railway Men the early lead, but when a side gets just one off-net shot in an entire match, good things are not likely to happen to them. Nuneaton, in a strange display of offensive explosion--they came into the match with just two goals in their first four matches--blitzed Leigh's defense and scored four goals on ten shots. they were led by forward Mark Quayle, who had two tallies, including the early game-equaliser. Quayle had been held scoreless on the season coming into this match, so it is a good thing for the Boro that the Telford import who did so well last season has finalyl shaken the doldrums he found himself in. The other goals in the Nuneaton home match were scored by striker Carl Alford and midfielder Mickey Brown.

INJURIES & BANS

Burton midfielder Aaron Webster was sent off with an injury early in the Yeovil-Burton macth Tuesday night, straining a chest muscle that will keep him out for a week. A much more serious injury, though, happened later in the same match, when Yeovil forward Nick Crittenden suffered a calf strain in the 90th minute. Crittenden will miss three weeks.

Kettering striker Chris Thompson also strained his neck during the Forest Green-Kettering match, although he continued to play. The injury was not announced until after the match was complete. Thompson is expected to miss about two weeks with the injury.

The boys were good last night. Or the officials were in good moods. No red cards were handed out last night.

Old 06-26-2003, 04:29 AM   #90
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wednesday, September 11, 2002

London Times

English League Cup Begins Play Tonight

LONDON-- All across England, nearly every club higher than the Conference and lower than the Premier will be in action today, all with one goal in mind: to advance to the second round of English League Cup.

One of four open cup competitions given throughout the year here in England, the English League Cup is the earliest, and will eventually give every side above the Conference a chance to win it.

It's a winner-take-all competition in the early rounds, which currently includes every side except for Third Division Boston United, which lost a preliminary match in August to fellow Third Division side Bristol, and has thus already been eliminated. Premier League clubs get byes from the early rounds.

The draws are wide open, as is home field advantage, so a club may find it can be playing just about anywhere in England and facing an opponent as low as Third Division runt Cambridge or as high as Division One table topping Derby County.

No less than 35 matches will be played tonight. Here are the top matches in the draw:

Wolverhampton Wolves (15th in D1) at Brighton and Hove Albion (9th in D1)
Millwall (13 in D1) at Stoke City (17th in D1)
Wimbledon (14th in D1) at Walsall (21st in D1)
Wrexham (2nd in D2) at Leicester City (7th in D1)
Reading (19th in D1) at Plymouth Argyle (11th in D2)
Crewe Alexandre (4th in D2) at Preston North End (20th in D1)
Portsmouth (22nd in D1) at Wigan Athletic (3rd in D2)

Of course, there are also not-so-great matchups. The award for "Unofficial Bye In The First Round" goes to Division One Crystal Palace, tied with Derby for the table lead. Tonight, they get the enviable pleasure of hosting Division Three Rochdale--the second worst side in the lowest division. It could get ugly.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-28-2003 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:58 PM   #91
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Chief,
Will this dynasty be lost when EP4 comes out? Also, how many leagues are in the background? Can you give more info on scouting missions and that. Always curious to see where you sent out the scouts and what they are seeking.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 12:37 AM   #92
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

No, this will remain as is. EP4 is save-compatible, according to the fine folks at SIGames.

28 total divisions, not sure how many leagues (8 or9 or so).

I can't tell you about what my scouts are doing because that's something the average English fan wouldn't know about. You can assume like most fans they are out looking for talent.

CR

Old 06-28-2003, 02:04 AM   #93
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thursday, September 12, 2002

London Times

Seven Division One Sides Fall In English League Cup First Round

LONDON-- There are few things big club fans hate more than being eliminated from cup competitions by smaller clubs.

So this year's English League Cup First Round will not be a fond memory for fans of Watford, Reading, Bradford Coty and Portsmouth. All four Division One clubs lost to smaller clubs yesterday.

Counting three more Division One clubs--the Wolves, Stoke City, and Walsall--which lost in matches featuring two D-1 sides, seven total clubs from the highest English league in action lost their matches yesterday, along with 28 other English clubs.

The winners of the Wednesday's 35 matches will move on to the second round, in which they will either play each other or an English Premier club. The EPL first joins the competition in the later round.

The second round will be played on October 2 at various grounds across the nation.

The top matchup Wednesday was one of three Division One meetings. The Wolves of Wolverhampton fell in a close match to Burton & Albion, 2-1. Milwall overcame Stoke City's home crowd to win a high-scoring 3-2 affair, and Wimbledon likewise took a road match from Walsall, winning on penalties in a 1-1 match that may have been the most exciting of the day.

Few remember if you win in the first round, though--at least not if you're a Division One side. And they never forget if you lose.

Watford was upset on penalty kicks by Division Two Colchester City. The home team won the match on kicks after a scoreless 0-0 full time.

Bradford City, currently fifth in Division One, may have eben the upset of the day. Division Two Oldhman Athletic, which is on the verge of a relegation slot, stunned the bigger club at home, shutting them out 2-0.

Division Two Plymouth Argyle defeated Division One Reading at home, 3-2, as did Division Two Wigan Athletic over Division Portsmouth. The latter wasn't much of an upset, however--Portsmouth is dead last in Division One, and Wigan is third in Division Two.

There were a handful of Division One teams that squeaked into the second round with a scare.

Division Three Wrexham nearly had the upset of the day when they went into Leicester City, one of the best sides in Division One, and forced them to extra time. Unfortunately, they fell short on penalty kicks in the 2-2 match.

Division Sheffield Wednesday required extra time to defeat Division Three Macclesfield, 3-2, on the road, and Preston North End needed similar measures to top Division Two side Alexandra Crewe, a club they might be facing in Division One next season, in a 2-1 match.

Even table-topping Derby County had its problems with visiting Division Two side Cheltenham Town. The match went to extra time before Derby scored two goals to seal it.

Fellow Division One leader Crystal Palace coasted to an easy 3-0 home victory over Division Three Rochdale, table-wise the worst ranked side in the entire field.

Old 06-28-2003, 02:38 AM   #94
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Friday, September 13, 2002

Did We Jump The Gun?

By Mallory Walken

Are columnists human?

Judging by some of the fan mail I have received since I became the football columnist here at the NC&E, it would appear there's a fair lot of you who have your doubts.

Well, if it is human to err, then it may be high time for me to allow that I am indeed human--and I may have erred.

The Poppies of Kettering Town up the road have ever been a difficult side to root for. They have a fine ground and a devoted fan base in the township. They have had their share of success on their own level.

And yet they always seem to fall short. And things have been getting much nastier in recent seasons, with many of the townsfolk openly hostile to chairman Peter Mallinger, maligned now for his frugality whereas once he was regarded as the savior of a club drowning in debt. The crowds have been dwindling and the Poppies were actually relegated from the Conference in 2001, the first ime that had happened since 1972.

The Poppies did indeed return to the pinnacle of semi-rpo football this season, but right from the start, their decisions appeared odd. The firing of Carl Shutt, who led the team to the Southern League championship last season both on and off the pitch. The hiring of virtual unknown Matthew Kieta to replace him as manager. The dearth of any signings of note whatsoever throughout the preseason fixture, despite a readily-acknowledged lack of talent on the roster and in the staff room.

It was easy to leap on the bandwagon, to point out the flaws. It was more obvious than ever that this side was heading nowhere but back to the lower leagues. The first two Conference matches, featuring absolutely no Kettering offense in two losses, seemed only to confirm the facts at hand.

And then something happened. Kieta awoke. Mallinger's purse strings loosened. The club started making moves that made sense.

They signed a full staff, and brought in three exciting offensive players on loan in Chris Thompson, Ryan Trudgian and Andy Dowie. They switched up tactics and are playing a much more attractive pressing game. And they are winning now. Tuesday's 3-0 road victory over the Rovers of Forest Green was Kettering's third in ar ow, and don't look now, but five matches in and the Poppies are sitting just a shade outside a promotion slot.

That's right, folks--promotion.

Do I think they will keep it up? No. They still have some talent and depth issues in the midfield and upfront, and it will be a wonder if veteran players like Lee Howarth and Ian Bowling can hold up against the rigors of an entire season. Thompson is hurt now, even as we speak. And the sides they have most recently defeated aren't exactly lighting the Conference afire.

But the point is that a week or two ago, this side looked like it had already mailed in for relegation. The turnaround has been sharp and appalling, as many of you have noted in your kind letters to me.

So I'm going to take a different tack: optimism. That's right, I think this side will not only avoid relegation, but even stay safely in the middle of the table at least. They might even make a run at the playoffs, although that would indeed be jumping the gun.

Until the Poppies finally reach the League, their past of failure will never be forgotten. But at least there is life here again.

Old 06-28-2003, 01:30 PM   #95
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Chief,
I am about to launch my own dyansty in the Welsh Premier League. Just wanted to know if I could borrow your format of dynasty-writing.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 07:50 PM   #96
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hey, do what you want. Just be sure to give credit where credit is due.

I played the Welsh Premier League in my old CM01/02 dynasty, first playing with Llanelli and then Cwmbran Town. It can be a fun league, although I much prefer to stay in the English leagues (that dynasty started with me in Stalybridge in the Conference, before I was summarily sacked... ).

CR

Old 06-28-2003, 10:08 PM   #97
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Saturday, September 14, 2002

Match Day

KETTERING-- It's no doubt that many bigger matches will come Kettering's way as the season progresses. But it seems clear that, given the Poppies' recent return to the Conference--tosay's match may be the most critical match the side has played in two years.

Today, the Rovers of Doncaster come a-calling on the Poppies, and with them an interesting divserion: which is better, the talented team near the top of the table, or the hot team with two easy road victories on its fixture?

The Rovers came into the season as one of the favorites to contend for promotion from the Conference this season, and they haven't disappointed. They have won four of their five matches, and three of them by more than one goal. They have some of the best numbers on both offense and defense. They have been rolling over teams. Their only loss is to Stevenage, the hottest team in the Conference, and that was a road match. Goalkeeper Andy Warrington is one of the Conference's best netminders, and striker-forwards Paul Barnes, Jamie Paterson and Greg Blundell have few equals. Midfielders Andy Watson and Robert Gill are also among the best in the league at their positions.

Against this will run a hot Kettering squad that has won three in a row after a disappointing start. And in attendance will likely be a sizable crowd of Poppy fans, who will see their side again for the first time since two weeks ago, when pre-winning streak gloom and doom was at its peak for this club.

The only bad news for Kettering in this match to prove it belongs is that it will have to play without sudden star striker Chris Thompson. Thompson suffered a neck injury in the 3-0 win over Forest Green on Tuesday, and will probably miss at least two weeks of play. Thompson has three goals in three games.

The match will begin at 3 p.m. at Rockingham Road in Kettering

Other Conference Matchups

Match of the Day: Doncaster at Kettering-- We won't go into this again--just read above. Simply, no other Conference matches compare to it today. For one side, it is a chance to stay up with Stevenage. For the other, it is proof it is legitimate.

Also today:

Margate at Barnet
Gravesend at Chester
Farnborough at Leigh RMI
Nuneaton Borough at Morecambe
Dag & Red at Scarborough
Burton Albion at Southport
Hereford at Stevenage
Halifax at Telford
Forest Green at Woking
Northwich at Yeovil

Old 06-29-2003, 04:46 AM   #98
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

September 14, 2002

"It looks like a busy one today," Andy said, surveying the gradually filling stands from his seat.

"Well, as it should be," Peter responded. "This is a big match."

"True enough."

"Where is Randall with the chips and ale?" Peter asked, looking around.

"Probably trapped in a long line with this crowd, or talking it up with some hot number," Andy said, grinning salaciously. "If I had his battleaxe of a wife, I would be fanning out for better options myself."

Peter chortled at the jape--an old joke among mates, since half the time Randy's wife never even lets him near the ground.

"Ah here they are," Andy said.

Randall had appeared out of the crowd, with William in tow. Rich red ale in short cups abound in the hands of both.

"It looks like we'll get this one off right," Peter said.

"Bloody hell!" William exclaimed as he collapsed into his seat. "What a line! Half the park looks to be filled if that line's a guess."

He handed over one of his beers to Andy, as Randall finally settled in.

"We haven't seen a crowd this big for a regualr season match since '01," Randall said. "Course, Derby was quite a sight bigger--we had a full house for that one. But what do you expect with a Division One side. And look at them now--looking like they will be headed to the premier next season. Imagine that!"

Andy looked at the pitch as he passed a beer to Peter.

"Is Thompson going to play," he asked hopefully.

"No, you bloody oaf, he is done and gone for at least two matches," Peter said. "Wish we had seen the Scarborough match two weeks ago."

"I spoke to some chaps who went," Randall said. "They say he's the real deal. That Trudgian kid, too--serious height on that one, they said. He won every header sent his way."

"We'll see soon enough about that," Andy said. "It looks like the match is about to start."

A few game minutes later

"Hmm...we seem to be pressing well," Peter commented. "I like the look of this tactic. It's much more exciting than the drab set we ran against Barnet."

"Yeah, but press all you want," William said. "If you don't score it doesn't matter..."

23rd minute

"Shite! Watson got it on the wing," Andy excalimed. The crowd was getting rowdy as the midfielder moved down the left--and near--side of the pitch.

"Watson, give it up, you testy bugger!" Andy screamed at the player. Dowie closed in on him before he moved it to center.

Winger Gareth Owen stepped up and passed it back toward the streaking Watson.

"Oh, bloody obvious, but Dowie is fooled," Peter groused. Dowie tried to catch Watson from behind asd the midfielder approaches the line.

"Watch for Blundell!" Peter screamed suddenly, rising in his seat.

Watson turned and moved a pass into the box--and right at Doncaster striker Blundell, camping out in front of the net.

Williamson steps in, though and knocks it away.

Before the guys can react, though, it's on Peterson's foot. They watched in silent horror as the Scottish striker bruies it past Bowling up close. The keeper never had a chance.

Peter groaned as the four men sat, Andy with his head in his hands.

"Off the rebound, for Heaven's sake," Andy lamented. "That was a fine interception by Williamson. Too bad he couldn't control it."

"We'll get it bacl," William said optimistically. "We have been in their face all day so far. I just know we can push it across."

"We had better hope so," Randall responded...

Halftime

"Well, so much for offense," Andy said disgustedly.

"Now, now, we are on the doorstep," William said, keeping his spirits up. "That Warrington is a tough one to beat. But if we keep on them we can get one by."

"These Rovers may be a tough squad, btu they don't look that tough," Peter said. "I think we can still take them. We had good control of the ball, and their goal was luckily scored."

48th minute

Howarth reaches the goal kick and heads it forward to Diuk. Diuk then turns and fires a pass toward Trdugian near the box.

"Oh! Nice pass!," William said.

"Look, he's got Itonga!" Peter said, pointing.

Itonga moved left into the box, a Doncaster fullback trying to close him down. Warrington moves forward in anticipation.

"He's shooting!" Randall said, rising.

Itonga unleashes a shot on net from just inside the box. It is a high shot. Warrington is going to have to jump for it. He extends forward and up as the ball, looking good, sails high toward the net...

...but Warrington just reaches it and sends the ball flying over the bar for a corner.

"Oh, shit! So close," William bemoaned. "Itonga should have angled it a bit."

"Well, he only had one real good angle, and he knocked ti goos," Peter said. "Warrington is just on today."

"Here's the corner," Andy said.

Itonga rears back and sends a hanger into the center of the box. Several players leap, but Wayne Diuk rises above them and heads it toward a corner of the net.

"Oh!" thew four exclaim!

Not quite, the ball bounces off of Watson, who tried to deflect it away, and it bounded off for another corner.

"Damn!" Andy said in a huff. "I thought that was in."

"Here's another chance at least," Peter said.

Itonga sends another one into the box, although this one is a little further out. Some players collide as the ball squeaks through untouched.

Whistles blare.

"What's this?" Peter asked, frowning. Andy starts praying aloud for a penalty.

The official waves off play, and signals a foul on Trudgian.

"Sonofa...that ref is daft!" Peter exclaimed. But the call stands. Doncaster gets a free kick, after Trudgian is ruled to have backed into a defender.

51st minute

Bowling clears the ball deep into the Doncaster pitch-side.

"Come on Poppies, let's get it going!" William yells from his seat.

Miller rises above the Poppy players and heads it back across the midline.

"Oh no," Peter said. "Blundell's under it!"

Blundell does a little ditch to the right, but Howarth doesn't bite. His avenue to the box closed, Blundell lifts a sot floater toward the net.

"Come on Bowling!" Andy said.

Andy need not have worried--the soft shot falls easily into Bowling's hands to end the opportunity.

58th minute

"Williamson has it! Come on Davy!" Randall said.

The midfielder moves it up to Dowie, who punches it forward to Murray.

"They have a man up on the charge!" William said, pointing.

William was right. Murray, Trudgian and Itonga were all advancing on the net and just two defenders. Murray moves a quick pass forward to Trudgian, who sidesteps and sends it down to Itonga. Itong ahas the step!

"Come on, score!" Peter yells, as Itonga fires...but it goes right at Warrington, who clutches and grabs the hard shot.

"Shit! That was right at him!" Andy said. "We can't very well score if we keep hitting at the guy."

Peter nodded his agreement.

68th minute

"I'm beginning to get desperate, guys," Peter lamented. "This one is getting close to the end."

"Shut up, Tenford," Randall said. "You'll jinx the boys."

Doolan has the ball at midfield, and he moves it up to Watson as he approaches the box from left and out.

Watson is attracting attention from a bevy of Kettering defenders, but he moves inside. Using an effective swing charge, he finds a hoel and charges into the box.

Peter fears he knows what is coming next. How did he get intot he box?

Watson unleashes a shot at Bowling, firing at waist level to Bowling's right. Bowling slides over nicely and deflects he hard shot into the ground and to behind right...but...

"Shite! The ball didn't clear!" Peter yelled. Players from both sides converged on the ball, which was sitting just inside the goal line not more than a couple feet from the left net post.

Solkhon gets to it first, and unleashes a clearing shot in the obly direction he has time for, sending the ball into the terraces beyond the left wing.

"Oh, that was a great get by Solkhon," William said. "That could have been a score."

"way to keep us in it, rook!" Andy called.

78th minue

"Itonga's got a step on him," Peter said. Itonga was clearly going to reach a long ball before the Doncaster defender would get there.

"into the box with you, Itonga," Randall said. Like a mind reader, Itonga turns and puts in a floater right onto the front end of the net. Trudgian and his man leap up for the shot, but the other guy wins...

"Damn...but wait!..." Randy continues. Trudgian moves it back to Dowie, who immediately puts out to Duik on the right wing.

Warrington raced over to get the shot...and Duik buries it right into his hands.

"Oh come on!" Peter said. "Guys, you have to hit it toward the open part of the net!"

Full Time

"Well, that's that," Peter said in disgust. "They just couldn't beat the guy."

All four were getting up and grumbling at the nature of Poppy football.

"So much for all that offense," Andy moaned. "I guess Thompson is our offense--without him, we're nothing."

"Well, we did seem to dominate the abll play, and I wasn't keeping track, but I am certain we beat them on shots," Randall said. "We just didn't put it in the net. We'll get them next time, when we have Thompson."

The four join the throngs heading for the exits.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-29-2003 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:08 AM   #99
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

September 15, 2002

Rovers Edge Poppies Behind Hot Warrington

KETTERING-- It's always hard to beat a good keeper when he's on. And the Poppies ran into one Saturday afternoon at the Rock.

Despite eight shots and several good scoring chances, including six on net, the Poppies couldn't solve Doncaster's star keeper Andy Warrington, who was exceptional through the 1-0 win.

It was Warrington's fourth shutout in six matches, and Doncaster clearly has one of the best defenses in the Conference.

"Warrington was on," Kettering manager Matthew Kieta said. "I thought we would get him, but we just didn't bury our opportunities."

The Poppies dominated ball play, especially in the second half when the Rovers fell into a defensive tactic. The ball was in Doncaster's third of the pitch for an equal third of the match time, and most of the rest was spent fighting off Poppy drives in the middle.

The Rovers got their goal with simple workmanship, beating Kettering keeper Ian Bowling--who himself was pretty solid Saturday--in the 18th minute.

Winger Andy Watson intercepted a pass near midfield on the wing and used a give-and-go pass with midfielder Gareth owen to set him up along the left goal line. His pass to the box was deftly deflected by Kettering midfielder Davy Williamson, but Williamson and a crowd of others in the box appeared to limit Bowling's vision of where the ball went.

Unfortunately for Poppy fans, the ball rebounded to Scottish striker Jamie Peterson's foot, and he jammed it home just before Bowling could cycle over to get there, hitting it in off the post as if he were emphasizing the tightness of the shot. It was Paterson's third goal of the season.

Nevertheless, the Poppies continued to press. Their best opportunity was in the 51st minute. Striker Carlin itonga got free for an open shot into the box after a nice set of passes from midfielder Shaun Murray and fellow striker Ryan Trudgian. Warrington just barely reached Itonga's high shot with his fingertips to force a corner.

Two ensuing corner kicks produced no scores, including a Wayne Duik header that was deflected away from net before it could cross the line.

The victory was a huge one for the Rovers, who moved back into a tie for first place in the Conference with Stevenage. Kettering, which had a three-matchw in streak snapped, fell to ninth in the league standings, where it is tied with Yeovil Town and Leigh RMI.

Old 06-29-2003, 06:24 AM   #100
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

September 15, 2002

Barnet 3, Margate 1 The Bees overcame an early deficit to pull out a closer match than the final tally indicates on their own pitch. Gate striker Phil Collins scored his fifth goal in six matches in the 21st minute to give Margate the early lead, and the side generally held its own under Barnet pressure most of the match. The Bees tied it up on Irish forward Lee Feeney's first goal of the season, but they didn't take the lead until a penalty by midfielder Lee Cook, who scored his third goal of the season on the play. Top notch reserve striker Toby Oshitola sealed the victory with a 90th minute score, also his third of the season.

Gravesend 3, Chester 2 The Fleet got some scoring from some unlikely sources to surprise Chester City on the road Saturday. The Blues got on the board quickly, moving from the kickoff circle to a quick strike score by forward midfielder Jon Brady, his first of the season. Gravesend quickly responded, though. Striker Simon Parker got his first goal of the season in the twelfth minute, and midfielder Ben White added his second to give the Fleet a lead they wouldn't relinquish. Defender Justin Skinner finished up the scoring in the 69th victory and sealed the victory as well. One bit of bad news for Gravesand--Simon Parker hurt his foot and will miss two weeks.

Doncaster 1, Kettering 0 Doncaster proved its worth with a big road win over the hot Poppies of Kettering, and allowing to move into a tie with Stevenage for first atop the Conference table. Irish striker Jamie Paterson scored his third goal of the season in the 18th minute to give the Rovers the edge. Superb play by the defense and by keeper Andy Warrington allowed the Rovers to survive a consistent Poppy attack that had several opportunities to score.

Leigh RMI 2, Fsrnborough 0 You just knew it wasn't going to be Farnborough's day when midfielder Gary Butterworth had to leave the match with knee problems in just the third minute. Sure enough, the Boro struggled against Leigh's defense, taking just two shots the whole game. Meanwhile, Leigh piled up nine, and pushing across scores by striker Scott Fitzgerald and midfielder Milligan.

Morecambe 3, Nuneaton Borough 1 The Boro's striker Mark Qualyle continued his hot play of late, scoring his thrid goal in two games Saturday. Unfortunately for Nuneaton, there was little else to cheer for. Morecambe striker Robbie Talbot scored his third and fourth goals of the season--including one just in the second minute of the match--and fellow striker Wayne Curtis scored his first goal of the season as well to give the Shrimps a strong home victory.

Scarborough 0, Dag & Red 0 Scarborough may be near the bottom of the standings, but try telling that to preseason Conference favorite Dagenham. The Daggers tried, but could not beat Scarborough keeper Andy Woods on his own pitch. The two sides traded five shots each, but neither could get a goal across. The Boro gain some respect points for holding out against a more talented club, and Dag & Red--the runner up in the Conference last season--continues on its way in what has been a hot-and-cold start for them so far this season. Scarborough got some bad news when forward midfielder Anthony Ormerod broke his arm in the 60th minute. He will be out for 4-5 weeks.

Southport 2, Burton Albion 2 The Port have to be tremendously disappointed to not come away with the win on this one. They dominated play, with 10 shots to Burton's three, but they couldn't stop Brewers striker Christian Moore, who scoed twice to keep his side apace with the home team. Moore has scored five goals in four matches now, with two two-goal matches. He gave the Brewers the early lead, but the Port came back to take the lead on goals by striker Robert Pell and midfielder Steve Soley. Finally, in the 76th minute, Moore scored his second goal and eventually forcing the draw.

Stevenage 2, Hereford 0 Stevenage regained some of its moxie in this home match after losing its first game against Dag & Red Tuesday. The Boro once again relied on super-striker Charlie MacDonald, who pushed acorss his sixth and seventh goals of the season to lead the scoring. His first goal came in the 18th minute to give the Boro the lead, and his late goal in the 88th minute, selaed the deal. Hereford managed just four shots against Stevenage's defense.

Telford 3, Halifax 0 The Shaymen were shut out for the fourth time this season already, this time by the Bucks of Telford. The Shaymen's pathetic offensive showing has resulted in just two goals on the season. Telford beat that mark in this match alone. Bulls striker Peter Smith did most of the scoring, getting his fifth and sixth goals of the season. His first goal was a penalty in the eighth minute. Midfielder Jacque Williams also scored, his first of the season. Halifax did not get one shot off on net--not a single one.

Woking 3, Forest Green 0 The Cardinals jumped to a 2-0 lead by halftime in their home match against Forest Green and never looked back. Midfielder Ian Hamilton and forward Chris Sharpling did the dirty work, each nabbing their second goals of the season. Star striker Warren Patmore put the finishing touches on with a second half goal, his sixth of the season. The Rovers barely got any shots off, putting two on net against the Cards' defense.

Northwich 3, Yeovil 0 Well, how about that? The Vics went into tough Yeovil and came out with a strong victory. Northwich dominated play, despite being the road side, holding Yeovil down to just two shots in the match. Striker Johnny Allan, who had a four-match sscoring string snapped Tuesday by Woking, returned with a flourish, nothcing two scores in qucik succession late in the first half. From there, the Vics rolled to an easy victory.

INJURIES & BANS

The most serious injury goes to Scarborough midfielder Anthony Ormerod, who broke his arm in the match with Dag & Red. He will be out until at least mid-October. Gravesend & Northfleet will have to do without the services of striker Simon Parker for a couple weeks after he hurt his foot in their victory over Chester City. Farnborough midfielder Gary Butterworth had to leave the match against Leigh RMI, but he is only expected to miss about a week with what was diagnosed as a mild knee sprain.

Maybe good behavior clauses in contracts actually work. For the second straight match day, no one was sent off for professional fouls or accumulating too many yellow cards in Conference action.