Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM   #801
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Seems like a move you make with a QB who has 1-2 years left and you're drafting their replacement. But Cousins just signed a 4 year deal with tons in guaranteed money. The team is in win now mode. Just seems like a really bad use of resources.

But it's really structured as a two year deal, with all the guaranteed money up front. And like I said, Cousins is a 36 year-old (by start of season) quarterback coming off Achilles surgery. He's slated to be the third oldest starting QB this season. I don't think you plan on him being your starter come 2026. And they don't plan on drafting this high again in the next two years. So I don't hate the process.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM   #802
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
But it's really structured as a two year deal, with all the guaranteed money up front. And like I said, Cousins is a 36 year-old (by start of season) quarterback coming off Achilles surgery. He's slated to be the third oldest starting QB this season. I don't think you plan on him being your starter come 2026. And they don't plan on drafting this high again in the next two years. So I don't hate the process.

The problem is you pay a dude 100 mil guaranteed you are in win now mode. Instead of drafting a piece that can help him win now you take his replacement. It makes zero sense.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #803
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The problem is you pay a dude 100 mil guaranteed you are in win now mode. Instead of drafting a piece that can help him win now you take his replacement. It makes zero sense.

I’d agree with most of this but the REAL problem is that there was a legit top tier WR prospect sitting there and the Falcons passed on that and instead will trot out an island of misfit toys at WR2 and WR3 this season. If Odunze isn’t available I have less issues with the move.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #804
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
If I am Cousins and see Odunze on the board and instead my team takes my replacement I would be hella pissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I’d agree with most of this but the REAL problem is that there was a legit top tier WR prospect sitting there and the Falcons passed on that and instead will trot out an island of misfit toys at WR2 and WR3 this season. If Odunze isn’t available I have less issues with the move.

Said this yesterday...
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM   #805
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I just don't understand the trade picks and win now mentality combined with the get a future QB mentality. They could have kept their pick and gotten Byron Murphy if they were set on a DT.
If they were going to pick a DL in the first round, it would have been Latu or Turner. They weren't set on DT, they were set on Penix. It is clear the only thing that might have moved them off Penix is if maybe another of the top three QB's were avaible. In the second round, they obviously had Orhorhoro as best avaible, mostly because he looks like a Grady Jarrett style line up anywhere on the line guy.

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM   #806
GrantDawg

Quote:
Said this yesterday...
And I said yesterday, Odunze probably wasn't high on their list because he was too much like what they already have from the old regime, and they need more speedsters.

Last edited by GrantDawg : Yesterday at 11:46 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM   #807
GrantDawg

Quote:
I agree it is a two year deal, but if they were trying to go the "Love" route, they could have used a lower first round pick next year after a good playoff run this year for a QB to sit until Cousins is ready to leave/retire. They instead are claiming to be "all in" to win while burning a high-value pick on player you are hoping to not see the field in the next two to three years. A player that is a guy who should be starting now, not a 21 year old that could benefit from some growth like Love was.

In was a bad move no matter how you color it, unless they somehow win the Super Bowl in the next two years. That wasn't that likely to begin with, but this made it even less likely.
Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM   #808
Atocep
Coordinator

Tarcone instantly becomes a Bears fan.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM   #809
QuikSand
lolzcat

Dolphins trade up to select... a very fast running back. LOL
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM   #810
weegeebored
High School Varsity

This draft may work out for the Bears, but I am still not a fan of Poles. A project OT in the 3rd and a punter in the 4th? Yeah, Gill sucks but I don't understand the pick. There will be UDFA punters available.
Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM   #811
Atocep
Coordinator

I like the tackle pick. They don't really need a starter next year so getting a high ceiling guy that can sit makes sense. There's honestly not a lot in this draft after the 2nd/3rd. This is a very shallow draft.

The punter pick is meh. It's the range some were projecting him to go in and, as you said, Gill sucks. I guess in a shallow draft you're at least getting someone that will contribute this season.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM   #812
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I find it difficult to believe that there isn't a value player drafted after the Bears took the punter. It's not as if other teams are throwing up their hands in disgust at the lack of later round talent and just randomly choosing a guy. I would even argue that a punter has less value for the Bears now as the offense should be much better and will need to rely less on their punter. It seems that for every good move that Poles makes he has a corresponding head scratcher.
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #813
weegeebored
High School Varsity

The Bears trade back into the draft to nab Kansas edge rusher Austin Booker. Gave up a 2025 fourth. I feel much better now.
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM   #814
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
As they made the trade with the Cardinals (i think), I fully support this trade.

hahaha nice
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM   #815
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

wait so they're just picking now? willy nilly? free?

everytime I think I'm caught up, I then don't understand what's going on
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #816
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

so what all this end of round compensatory garbage and special picks?
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #817
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

SPENCER RATTLER IS A SAINT!
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM   #818
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's been deleted, but the Raiders actually posted a "speed kills" tweet for some dude they drafted.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM   #819
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
wait so they're just picking now? willy nilly? free?

everytime I think I'm caught up, I then don't understand what's going on

Pay attention, someone might pick you or I and then we have to start packing up the station wagon.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #820
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Dolphins trade up to select... a very fast running back. LOL

I don’t follow college football so pretty much all of these names are new to me, but based on numbers, Dolphins seem to have beaten the curve in the draft?

They have picked 5 of the top 100 prospects on NFL.com in the first 184 picks.

Whether they are the right positions is another argument, but they seem to have drafted well on the face of it?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #821
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Pay attention, someone might pick you or I and then we have to start packing up the station wagon.

"You're an Atlanta Falcon"

Given the way they've drafted, that feels like a real possibility lol
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #822
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
"You're an Atlanta Falcon"

Given the way they've drafted, that feels like a real possibility lol

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM   #823
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I don’t follow college football so pretty much all of these names are new to me, but based on numbers, Dolphins seem to have beaten the curve in the draft?

Whether they are the right positions is another argument, but they seem to have drafted well on the face of it?

they just got a steal in round 6 with Malik Washington. How he slid so far I have no idea
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM   #824
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

geez....Tom Brady was a late 6th round pick....just wow
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #825
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Everyone: Playing first year quarterbacks is a disservice to the player and teams should give them time to develop on the bench for a year to two without rushing them into games.

Also everyone: What is Atlanta doing drafting a quarterback who they plan on sitting for a few years?

Count me among those who don't hate the process. There were people that were critical of the Chiefs in 2017 when they gave up assets to move up and take their quarterback of the future when they already had a Pro Bowl quarterback on their roster. People were saying they should have improved the defense instead. How did that work out?

Unfortunately, there is really only one way to build a winning team in today's NFL and that's hitting on a superstar quarterback. Every QB that a team drafts is basically like a lottery ticket and you need to hit on one of these tickets if you want to be competitive year after year with a shot at winning Super Bowls. While the addition of Cousins means the Falcons should be a playoff team over the next few years, I don't think anyone sees him as a superstar quarterback.

So if a team really believes they have found their future superstar quarterback, then I don't think there is anything wrong with taking him in that spot, even if you already just signed another guy (who happens to be 36 years old coming off a torn Achilles) for the next few years. Whether Penix is that guy is another question altogether.

I don't agree with most of the ideological absolutes in your post. However, if those absolutes are indeed true then I don't see anything wrong with the process either.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM   #826
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post

The big NFL draft secret is, nobody has actually heard of any of these people (at least after the first round), they just compare what actually happens to ESPN mock drafts and NFL.com rankings. So basically a 10-year old could run a team's draft and score an A+ media evaluation ranking just by strictly following those.

I don't believe for a second that anyone has any clue which Big 10 offensive lineman will be better in the NFL. If it's your full time job for a few months on a team, maybe you can improve your odds some.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM   #827
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
In was a bad move no matter how you color it, unless they somehow win the Super Bowl in the next two years. That wasn't that likely to begin with, but this made it even less likely.

The Chiefs were coming off the third best record in the NFL and could have grabbed Marshawn Lattimore when they were in desperate need of a cornerback. Instead, they chose a developmental QB. Was picking Mahomes there a bad move? They didn't win the Super Bowl in either of the next two seasons and picking Mahomes over someone that could have helped right away certainly negatively impacted their immediate chances.

Let's be honest, the Falcons weren't going to be winning the Super Bowl the next two seasons even if they picked another player there. If Kirk Cousins were to win the Super Bowl, he would be the oldest starting QB to do it in the past 50 years not named Brady, Manning (who was awful that year) or Elway.

So if they are absolutely in love with a player and think they've found their franchise quarterback for the next 10 years, do they:

a. Despite having just signed a 36-year-old starting QB coming off Achilles surgery to a big money deal for the next two years, still pick who they believe is their future franchise QB and let him sit and learn for a year or two; or

b. Pass on the guy and then just pray that they find a guy who they fall equally in love with next year (a class that is supposed to be thin on elite QB talent), while (ideally for them) drafting in the mid-20's?

Also, what suggests the Falcons are "all in"? Just because they signed the highest profile FA QB for the next 2 years? Was this a Super Bowl team last year if only they had a better quarterback? Did they make any other signings indicating they are "all in"?

Basically, there should be two types of teams in the NFL. Those with their long-term franchise QB and those looking to find their long term franchise QB. If you are the latter and think you've found him, then you absolutely have to pick him.

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : Yesterday at 04:40 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #828
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also, what suggests the Falcons are "all in"?

The owner, for one.

from one of the TV sports guys (who had talked to the 81 year old owner)
Quote:
Falcons owner Arthur Blank wanted a succession plan to Kirk Cousins - They are win now mode and don't plan on drafting in the top-20 anytime soon

This is consistent with Blank's previous public comments.

It's also what makes the pick even more glaringly idiotic.

They either wasted a draft pick or they wasted $100m+ on Cousins.

Either way, there's nothing about the move that's a) rationally defensible or b) an indication that anyone in Atlanta has the slightest fucking clue what the hell they're doing
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM   #829
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

so how about that Canadian, eh?
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM   #830
GrantDawg

Quote:
The Chiefs were coming off the third best record in the NFL and could have grabbed Marshawn Lattimore when they were in desperate need of a cornerback. Instead, they chose a developmental QB. Was picking Mahomes there a bad move? They didn't win the Super Bowl in either of the next two seasons and picking Mahomes over someone that could have helped right away certainly negatively impacted their immediate chances.
You answered your own question. It is the same as comparing what the Falcons did to what the Packers did. When you are already a top team, spending draft capital on the future makes sense. When you are a bad club trying to turn the corner, spending a top ten draft pick on someone you don't want to play for 2-4 years is idiotic.

Quote:
Let's be honest, the Falcons weren't going to be winning the Super Bowl the next two seasons even if they picked another player there. If Kirk Cousins were to win the Super Bowl, he would be the oldest starting QB to do it in the past 50 years not named Brady, Manning (who was awful that year) or Elway.
So? Does that mnean it is impossible? Can't be because you just listed three guys who have done it. Something doesn't happen until it does. They didn't sign Cousins to a huge contract to lose.

Quote:
So if they are absolutely in love with a player and think they've found their franchise quarterback for the next 10 years, do they:

But it is not for the "next ten years" because he will not play (hopefully) next year, or the next year, and if Cousins continues to do well the next.....
And then he might, maybe, be a decent quarterback. Or he might, maybe, be a complete bust. The chances of him being a bust are much higher than any other position the Falcons could have taken in that spot. And any other position they could have taken there would contribute to make this team better right now, not hopefully maybe someday. When you have been 7-10 for two years in a row and even worse before that you have to keep improving the team for now. Not maybe hopefully have something in the future.

The Chiefs were a good team that knew Smith wasn't planning on playing much longer. The Packers where a good team that drafted their succession plan on an older quarterback that ended up causing them all sorts of problems afterward. The Falcons are still trying to get to that good team. That's why they spent a huge chunk of money on Cousins to get them over the top. But then instead of helping him, they gave him a big middle finger and drafted his replacement before he took a snap. Stupid, moronic, idiotic move.

Last edited by GrantDawg : Yesterday at 07:10 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #831
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

we'll see fontenot on the street soon.
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #832
Edward64
Head Coach

2 new Hogs in the NFL. Slim pickings.

Kicker to the Jags
OL to the Rams
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM   #833
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

ESPN actually did a really good job breaking down why this is such a head scratcher

Quote:
The Falcons made a massive mistake in the first round and have created a mess

The no-question most shocking selection of the first round was the Falcons' pick of quarterback Michael Penix Jr. at No. 8 overall. And it's not because eighth was a lot sooner than most projections had Penix going.

The reason this pick shocked the NFL was because, just six weeks earlier, the Falcons signed veteran quarterback Kirk Cousins to a four-year, $180 million contract that includes $100 million in guaranteed money. Dropping the proven Cousins into an offense equipped with young stars at wide receiver, tight end and running back felt like the move of a team intending to contend right away, which would lead a reasonable person to believe that team would use the eighth pick on a player (maybe an edge rusher?) who could help the 2024 roster.

Cousins' agent, Mike McCartney, made it clear Thursday night that Cousins was shocked and disappointed by the selection and didn't see it coming. Cousins is the kind of guy who likely will make the best of it, but it still feels like a sudden departure from what the Falcons' plan was six weeks ago. And I think it's fair for Cousins -- and frankly everyone else -- to feel like this could end up being a difficult situation for the Falcons' roster and coaching staff.

Verdict: NOT AN OVERREACTION

Let me be clear right away: The criticism has nothing to do with my, your or the Falcons' evaluation of Penix as a player and prospect. That is irrelevant to this discussion. Penix could turn out to be a star, and frankly, I hope he does. This is about the draft and the Falcons' apparent misunderstanding of its true under-discussed purpose.

In spite of all the time that teams, fans and media spend on scouting the draft, in the end, it is not about scouting. It's about value and resource allocation. In a salary cap league, teams that want to sign and keep their star players as they get more expensive absolutely must get significant contributions from drafted players while they're on their rookie contracts. This is the main reason the Chiefs have continued to win Super Bowls while dishing out huge contracts to Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce and Chris Jones. The Falcons have created a situation in which they cannot possibly get maximum value out of both Cousins' contract and Penix's rookie contract, though.

First off, their combined cash spent on Cousins and Penix in 2024 alone should come out to around $76.8 million when you factor in their respective signing bonuses and salaries. From there, the possible outcomes include the following:

Cousins plays well enough and wins enough to justify the contract the Falcons gave him in free agency. He starts every game in 2024 and 2025. By the end of the 2025 season, Atlanta has paid Cousins $90 million and Penix around $15 million. With only a $10 million 2026 roster bonus left on the guarantees, the Falcons could then release or trade the 37-year-old Cousins and incur a $25 million dead-money charge on their 2026 cap. Penix will be 26 without an NFL start, and the Falcons will get one season to evaluate him as a starter before deciding on his fifth-year option.

Cousins plays the entire 2024 season, but for whatever reason, the Falcons decide next spring that Penix is ready to start in 2025. They could keep Cousins as Penix's backup, but $27.5 million is a lot of money for a backup. Cutting Cousins at this point would result in a $65 million dead-money cap charge. Trading him would cause a $37.5 million dead-money hit. And Atlanta would have paid him $62.5 million for one season.

Cousins gets injured or struggles to come back from his Achilles injury and Penix is thrown into the starter's role after an offseason in which he didn't get starter's reps. This might not be a bad outcome, football-wise, if Penix is pro-ready as his résumé indicates. But if he were to succeed in this situation, it would put the Falcons in a very challenging spot in terms of what to do with Cousins and his contract.

Cousins struggles, leading the fan base (and perhaps the locker room) to want to see the high draft pick play. Whatever the coaching staff decides in this scenario is tough on both of these players (and perhaps, again, the locker room).

Penix could turn out to be great, but that's not the point. The Falcons mismanaged their resources. There's no way for them to get maximum value from both Cousins' deal and Penix's rookie deal. As a result, their roster won't be as good in the coming years as it could have been -- no matter how well or how much either one of them plays.
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM   #834
GrantDawg

Quote:
Penix could turn out to be great, but that's not the point. The Falcons mismanaged their resources. There's no way for them to get maximum value from both Cousins' deal and Penix's rookie deal. As a result, their roster won't be as good in the coming years as it could have been -- no matter how well or how much either one of them plays.

This is it exactly. The Cousin signing is fine, or the Penix pick is fine. Both is nonsense.
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #835
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Bottom Line: You just shelled out big bucks for a QB....now get him an offensive weapon he can use, a lineman to protect him, or a Defensive monster to get him the ball

THEN COusins has a better chance to be worth all that money you just gave him
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #836
Edward64
Head Coach

Who would have thought the Falcons would be the big talking point from the draft.

FWIW let’s come back in 2-3 years and see how Penix works out.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM   #837
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'm already past reading about that...I'm on to things like
What happens to the rookies drafted now? What happens to those not drafted? Is it a freeforall? Will these draftees get cut? What happened to all the draftees from the last 5 years? Are they still on rosters?

There are articles for all of the above
Old Today, 06:54 AM   #838
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Okay Bengals, I give up. Why would you draft 2 tight ends?
Old Today, 07:46 AM   #839
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Keon Coleman apparently did a comedy routine at his Bills press conference.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:09 AM   #840
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote