Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-27-2007, 01:56 AM   #1051
CaLiKrAzY
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Even though I've gotten better at using the UI, there are issues with it that I can't get past. Like the fact that the way you view your team on the roster/rotations/lineup screens are all customizable. That sounds great in theory, until you try it in practice. If I go to my roster screen, I'd like to see an overview of my players, so I leave it on the default settings. When I go to my rotation screen to see my pitchers, that same default view is there - including my batters. Why do I need to see my batters on the rotation screen? So I change the defaults to see just my pitchers and their current year's stats. Great. Now I need to make lineup changes, so I go to that screen, and what do I see? My pitchers. I then have to make another set of changes to the "defaults" so that I can see hitters and make the lineup changes I need. Whoops, I forgot I wanted to make a couple of changes to my middle relief. Back to that screen. Wait, all I see are my hitters; gotta change the defaults again to see my pitchers.

I've been trying to point stuff like this out over and over again but I don't think I got this one across good enough.

Please post this again over in tech support because this is essentially how It's suppose work and the way it works now might not change if we aren't heard.
CaLiKrAzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:05 AM   #1052
scoman
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Rather than waste bandwidth by trolling here, simply go play Markus' latest abomination. Or go suck his dick. Or whatever floats your boat.
But try to do the world a favor and be sure to die before you breed.

But if you venture over here & act like a typical sack of shit fanboy, you can bet your ass you're going to be called on it.

Speaking of wastes of bandwidth,your the king,skippy.
scoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:44 AM   #1053
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

What's the name for someone that tries to combat supposed trollish behavior with trolling behavior of his/her own, inevitably just making the situation worse by dragging the discourse even further into the gutter?

I think it's ironic that most of the OOTP problems that I hear are problems that I have always had with FOF: too many clicks to get places, bad computer roster management, etc.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:44 AM   #1054
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

For all of its problems, I'm enjoying OOTP2K7 overall. For me, more of the problems are design-related as opposed to issues tech support can fix. That said, I haven't touched the game since earlier this week, so we'll see if I'm starting to lose interest or just had a busy week. But calling this game an "abomination" is way off-base - not to mention the other stuff.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-27-2007 at 06:44 AM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:51 AM   #1055
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaLiKrAzY View Post
I've been trying to point stuff like this out over and over again but I don't think I got this one across good enough.

Please post this again over in tech support because this is essentially how It's suppose work and the way it works now might not change if we aren't heard.

Honestly, I've lost interest in posting over there. I feel like a voice in the wilderness. The tech staff takes the bug reports and is doing a good job with them, but stuff like this doesn't seem to be getting any attention. I understand it's not really a bug and it doesn't affect how the game is played, so maybe it gets lower priority, but I just get the feeling that people don't care. I posted a number of things in the "how many clicks does it take..." thread, and maybe one person agreed with me on something I posted. The rest completely ignored obvious issues like this.

Someone who gets paid by SI needs to sit down with this game, look at all the duplicate screens and default info settings on the various screens, and make a list of inconsistent and poorly-functioning problematic areas. I don't have the time to do it - I tried posting them piecemeal over there, and didn't feel like people (granted, I'm talking players and not staff) cared enough for me to continue pointing out the obvious.

The kinds of things I'm seeing probably wouldn't get interest until the game is 6-8 months old, and by then, I'll probably be on to another game. And then, if there's a 2K8, I'll probably see them again next year. I've read enough over there to get the idea that Markus is wed to his design decisions (like refusing to consider allowing us access to the quick-sim screen when not simming). And that's fine, but it dampens my enthusiasm for making suggestions.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-27-2007, 07:57 AM   #1056
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Rather than waste bandwidth by trolling here, simply go play Markus' latest abomination. Or go suck his dick. Or whatever floats your boat.

But if you venture over here & act like a typical sack of shit fanboy, you can bet your ass you're going to be called on it.

If this guy isn't banned for a remark like this, then banning shouldn't even exist.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:05 AM   #1057
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

another frustrating day in the completely sucky life of JiMGA, I see.
don't hold back, let it all out big boy. it's going to be all right.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #1058
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
another frustrating day in the completely sucky life of JiMGA, I see. don't hold back, let it all out big boy. it's going to be all right.

Nothing out of the ordinary, that's for sure. Although honestly that was probably about 1% of what I really felt, 2% at the most, so the "hold back" version is probably better for the more sensitive out there.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #1059
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
If this guy isn't banned for a remark like this, then banning shouldn't even exist.

Riiiiiiiight. Gracious, we certainly wouldn't want some fanboy troll getting their wittle feewings hurt or anything.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:40 AM   #1060
spleen1015
Coordinator

Yikes.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:57 AM   #1061
BigPapi
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoman View Post
Oh what a shock,being called a fanboy by someone who has no idea of my gaming background or gaming experience,always pretty easy to resort to the troll card when you really have nothing valid to say,nice job skippy, 12,000 posts and thats the best you got,pretty typical of the crap I've seen posted.Bottom line,fanboy has nothing too do with it,hated 2006,just calling a spade a spade,sorry you can't handle it.

I understand all the obvious assumptions concerning post count- but I swear I will never understand those who apparently think post count is synonymous with sperm count....Quick, somebody call me a troll.....
BigPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:59 AM   #1062
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Someone who gets paid by SI needs to sit down with this game, look at all the duplicate screens and default info settings on the various screens, and make a list of inconsistent and poorly-functioning problematic areas. I don't have the time to do it - I tried posting them piecemeal over there, and didn't feel like people (granted, I'm talking players and not staff) cared enough for me to continue pointing out the obvious.

I agree 100%. I have stopped reading the OOTP forum because it's a waste of time. SI knows that they purposely designed many different kinds of games in v2007 and not all combinations are going to work well. From what little I have seen and read, esp. from you, it appears the game does do its job but it so needlessly cluttered, redundant, etc. that for historical simmers, it is like going back in time with all of today's SABR books and computers. What they need to do is to split Ma OOTP into Baby OOTP, each with its own interface, from minimal to full. And, of course, to redesign the reports so they are more clear, concise and readable.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:01 AM   #1063
MJ4H
Coordinator

haha Jon is nothing if not entertaining.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:26 AM   #1064
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
haha Jon is nothing if not entertaining.

There's actually the one thing that does sort of bother me about this mini-tempest, probably the reason that I reacted to the troll at all much less with a certain amount of emotion.

I click this thread for the same reason I click all threads regardless of my interest - so they won't remain in bold because of new posts. I haven't bought OOTP & won't be buying it for my own reasons. My interest is limited & so any posts I've made in the thread have been of the generally speaking variety as there have been a couple of interesting tangents along the way. So far, I've done no fingerpointing, no snide observations, no I-could-have-told-you-so's, I've pretty well stayed out of it. Trying hard to play nice as it were, although I'll admit to having been tempted on occasion.

So when I clicked through last night & noticed the troll, it was more than I was in the mood to tolerate. Given the feelings I have about the subject, if I can manage to play nice then AFAIC anybody else damned well ought to be able to. And if they can't then I'm probably not going to be inclined to sit silent when they don't.

I'm happy enough if it entertained you in some way, but that really wasn't/isn't my goal. I just don't see any margin in giving their typical fanboys free reign without reserving the option to respond.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #1065
Swaggs
Coordinator

I am starting to understand some of the complaints folks have with OOTP2007.

I set up a fictional league and enjoyed it for several seasons, but it got a little too easy for me and I tried to expand and it seemed as if about 40% of the players taken were from my system, as I guess I had it pretty stacked. No biggie, as I had a good understanding as to how to play and was ready to try with real players.

So, I try to set up a universe with the Lahman database and it made me feel like I was in the Butterfly Effect movie.

I got everything set up the first time and all is cool--it brings in the entire history from the beginning of MLB and we're ready to go. I try to set up a Japanese League so that I can import talent and I get a crash. I reload, set up the Japanese League and it works. I then add a Cuban League and it crashes. I reload and get the Cuban league setup, sim a few days and it crashes and I run into a dead end. Net time on this is probably 90 minutes.

A few days later, I give it another try. I again import the Lahman database and forget about the Japanese and Cuban Leagues. I get my scouts set up to scour the nation, so that I can rebuild the putrid Pirates' system. Two months go by and, with 80% of my scouts searching for new talent, I have yet to see them uncover anyone new (which was uncommon in my previous fictional universe). So, I spend about 20 minutes searching through the various setup screens and finally see that I do not have the "create and find new talent" (or whatever its in-game name is) box checked AND, awesomely enough, you cannot retroactively turn this feature on for some reason. So, this league is scrapped after roughly two hours of setup with a short amount of play time.

A few days pass to last night, and I try it once again. Lahman database imports with the entire league's history, once again. Everything going well, so far. I search through millions of screens and find the "create and find new talent" and am pleased to see that I can turn it on, as I thought maybe it could not be used together with a historical setup and it is one of the more fun "game-like" features in OOTP2007. I briefly consider setting up a Japanese and/or Cuban League, but decide not to press my luck. I begin my game and, for some unknown reason, this time I have a Major League Baseball-like setup with no freaking minor league teams in place. So, I basically have a 40-man roster with the big league clubs only and I guess I unchecked something that was checked in the other two universes or forgot to check something (although I don't recall doing anything out of the ordinary to create minor league teams the previous two times). So, another 1:15 minutes down the drain there.

So, like the Butterfly Effect, I feel like I keep going back and just cannot get things right and I am noticing more and more days between having the desire to try and set it up again, since I have spent close to 5 hours trying to get things set up in the past 10 days or so and have nothing to show for it.

I'll probably try once more in the next few days or so (I would have liked to give it a go this weekend during the draft, as I'll have a good bit of idle/computer time) and if I can't get it right this time, I'll probably shelf it until someone creates a good quickstart.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #1066
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm happy enough if it entertained you in some way, but that really wasn't/isn't my goal. I just don't see any margin in giving their typical fanboys free reign without reserving the option to respond.

Oh, I know it wasn't your goal. Your genuine passionate feelings are what are entertaining to me. I understand your frustration believe me. I occassioanlly feel it is misplaced, but I do empathize with you at times and seeing you bust it out like this always makes me smile at the very least.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #1067
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapi View Post
I understand all the obvious assumptions concerning post count- but I swear I will never understand those who apparently think post count is synonymous with sperm count....Quick, somebody call me a troll.....

I'd respond to your post, but I can't read what you said. I've set my filters up to skip any messages by members with fewer than 1000 posts.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #1068
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

While understanding and sharing your distaste for fanboyism I think it's a bit unfair to slap the label on this guy unless you have further proof that he is indeed a fanboy. I'm not going to look up his other body of work in other forums so maybe there is a precedent here and if so then I apologize and have at him but innocent until proven guilty I think.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #1069
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Respond, fine. But "I hope you die before you breed" is the stuff of 14 year old boys and pretty uncalled for too.

Last edited by Oilers9911 : 04-27-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #1070
Drake
assmaster

I'm pretty sure that "you should post your complaints over at OOTP rather than just bitching" counts as fanboyism in most of our books. FOFC is the center of the text sim universe as far as I'm concerned. This is as valid a place to objectively discuss and evaluate a text sim game as any on the net.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #1071
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I am starting to understand some of the complaints folks have with OOTP2007.

[edit out many many words you all already read above]

I ran into the same sort of stuff. I'd spend an hour or two getting the league set up only to find out that the quick start was bad and would make the league crash at the all-star break. I finally managed to get my league set up properly, but it took a lot of trial and error...and a lot of waiting for the computer to create a new league...and a lot of shuffling around through menus and trying to remember the exact order of the process so that I don't accidentally fuck stuff up and need to redo it all over again.

too much work to be enjoyable. I can see that the game is layed out a bit more intelligently than 2006, but it still is way too much of a cluster fuck for me to spend the hours I need to figure everything out.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:33 PM   #1072
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
He was banned a month or 2 ago.
Why would they ban GForce? The guy has been one of the best assets to the game and boards over the years. While I don't read every post he makes, he put out some of the best roster sets the game has ever seen.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #1073
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Most people could care less about so called real rosters. A very small percentage of people have not bought the game based on ,no so called real rosters.

Another thing I find very odd is,if you have OOTPB 2007 and have complaints,why do you post them here on Front office football forum,of all places.

Why don't you fellas create so called real rosters and post them.

Oh wait a minute,I know,its easier to bitch and moan about it.
Apparently you haven't read the thread on the OOTP forums where the majority of people say that the reason they haven't purchased the game is because of the lack of roster sets.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #1074
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I have no complaints. For what I like to do, it is very much a dream game.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #1075
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I'm pretty sure that "you should post your complaints over at OOTP rather than just bitching" counts as fanboyism in most of our books. FOFC is the center of the text sim universe as far as I'm concerned. This is as valid a place to objectively discuss and evaluate a text sim game as any on the net.

Exactly. Who really cares where we post it? Markus as well as the SI team visit this place quite frequently, so what does it matter?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #1076
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

This is me, too. I do get some crashes that bug me, but I believe those are all known issues that should be resolved in the future.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #1077
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

Same here.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #1078
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
A few days pass to last night, and I try it once again. Lahman database imports with the entire league's history, once again. Everything going well, so far. I search through millions of screens and find the "create and find new talent" and am pleased to see that I can turn it on, as I thought maybe it could not be used together with a historical setup and it is one of the more fun "game-like" features in OOTP2007. I briefly consider setting up a Japanese and/or Cuban League, but decide not to press my luck. I begin my game and, for some unknown reason, this time I have a Major League Baseball-like setup with no freaking minor league teams in place. So, I basically have a 40-man roster with the big league clubs only and I guess I unchecked something that was checked in the other two universes or forgot to check something (although I don't recall doing anything out of the ordinary to create minor league teams the previous two times). So, another 1:15 minutes down the drain there.

If you're using the historical template to start your league, one of the 5 or 6 screens it takes you through is where you choose how many minor leagues you want. If you leave that unchecked, the default is a reserve roster. That's probably what happened here.

Typically, what I do is set up everything on those screens then exit out to the advanced settings before hitting the "create league" button, fix all of the other settings I need set the way I want them, and then create the league. If you forget to create a minor league, you can always add one later, but you'll get a crash and then you'll have to do it again. For me, the crash always happens on the first try and never again, so I create a dummy league to go through the crash, then I create the real league and put time in to changing names, settings, etc. I don't know why, but that's the way it works.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #1079
scoman
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Why would they ban GForce? The guy has been one of the best assets to the game and boards over the years. While I don't read every post he makes, he put out some of the best roster sets the game has ever seen.

From what I understand,it was one too many warnings. But I did read somewhere that he is still working on a alltime great roster set,and will have someone else post it when it is finished.

Last edited by scoman : 04-27-2007 at 02:37 PM.
scoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #1080
CaLiKrAzY
n00b

Quote:

I completely agree with you.

It's more like add this and that instead of just fixing the damn interface already. Trying to lobby for a more natural feel or the way things were with 6.5 is really becoming a PITA.

It's a shame the way it works now and I've made a few interface requests (one being the way you suggested being the way it's suppose to work in the game) and wouldn't mind making more of the same just so they get it right.

This bothered me before patch one and still does because it's still not the way it's suppose to work.
CaLiKrAzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 02:37 AM   #1081
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Why I haven't bought the game...(a short story)

I read the first few pages of this thread during the days following the release. Things looked quite good. The reports of complexity seemed to be more than offset with the people having fun generating excellent baseball histories for their leagues. Interesting stuff.

I made a mental note to come back and check on things after a patch or two, as I didn't have time at that time to handle a complex learning curve and there were other things to play.

So tonight, I come back with the intent of purchasing the game. But as I read through the last five pages in this thread, I was struck by the volume of posts dealing with people trying to get their leagues working right. Things like unchecking such and such a button on such and such a screen to allow unlimited A-ball rosters, and setting age limits on minor leagues to force the AI to dump players, which may or may not actually be even in the game.

Swaggs' excellent post about making several attempts and taking several hours to get a league set up brought flashbacks to my first attempt at playing OOTP 3.0. I remembered taking about ten hours and making a half dozen league startups to get the financial system working the way I wanted it in that game. By the time I got it all somewhat working, I was tired of the game and went on to something else. Although certainly the current game is vastly improved, the gamer's experience sounds eerily similar: there is a significant chunk of time that must be invested in OOTP before you can actually play the game. I want to buy a game I can play now, not a game that I have to decipher for five hours or more before I can start to enjoy. And so I go back on the fence to wait to see if things might change after another patch or two.

Bottom line is that I don't feel the fun in OOTP in this thread anymore. The complexity of the game seems to drown the essence of the game, which should be baseball. Where are the stories of drafting a pitcher in the fifth round of a draft and watching him become an All-Star that leads your team to three World Series titles? Or the stories of season-ending series where your team squeaks into the playoffs by winning three of four games from your rivals? This is that stuff that makes me pull out my credit card.

I'd also have to say that all the world league options sound great, and part of me dreams of setting up a World League of Baseball with oodles of leagues and players, but it doesn't mean enough to me to want to spend a few hours getting it all working right.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 04-28-2007 at 02:51 AM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:33 AM   #1082
bselig
n00b

One thing I'd like to see in the future is the MVP award getting more a lot more random. As it stands now in my game, Ted Williams has lead the majors in VORP every year he's been in the league, so he's won 10 consecutive MVPs. Which might be sensible, but doesn't remotely aproximate how the award works in MLB
bselig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:02 AM   #1083
Ksyrup

If you want, you can manually choose the MVP. But for fast-simming, or just to allow te AI to do it, you're right.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:07 AM   #1084
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz View Post
Bottom line is that I don't feel the fun in OOTP in this thread anymore. The complexity of the game seems to drown the essence of the game, which should be baseball. Where are the stories of drafting a pitcher in the fifth round of a draft and watching him become an All-Star that leads your team to three World Series titles? Or the stories of season-ending series where your team squeaks into the playoffs by winning three of four games from your rivals? This is that stuff that makes me pull out my credit card.

I'd also have to say that all the world league options sound great, and part of me dreams of setting up a World League of Baseball with oodles of leagues and players, but it doesn't mean enough to me to want to spend a few hours getting it all working right.
I've never bought a OOTP before, but I set up a universe with 5 minors levels, Japan, Korea, Venezuala, Mexico, and Cuba, and it took like a half hour. I made a bunch of mistakes, but corrected them as I went along and never had to restart. I've spent hours playing three seasons. Financials are working fine, I've made some good deals when my amazing hitting scout found some gems before the teams realized how good they were, and some deals that didn't work out because the guy busted. I've had players sign for less than market value to stay with the team, and some players want insane contracts.

Last year I got to game 7 of the World Series. My number 3 starter got hurt in game 3, so I had to choose between my a starter who had been in AAA most of the year and who had been my long reliever all playoffs, or my old #4 starter who had pitched great until midseason when he hurt his elbow and was just now eligible to come off the DL. I went with the guy off the DL, and he pitched 5 solid innings and left with the lead, then my bullpen who had been my Achilles heel all year, gave up 7 runs in 4 innings and I was gone. It was a great playoff run, in the ten games I won there were 3 walk off homeruns.

There are a couple of things I don't like about it, but I'm having a great time playing it.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #1085
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

After two weeks with the game now I am still loving it. My one problem is managing in the minors pretty much is pointless to me, since every time my major league GM moves guys up or down, my depth charts and lineups are reset to how the AI wants them. That means if I want things my way then every game I am redoing this stuff because the retard of a GM is moving guys up and down every day almost. No fast simming a week or two unless you want to just hope the computer does ok for you. Lucky for me it did ok but it seemed pointless while I was doing it.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #1086
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bselig View Post
One thing I'd like to see in the future is the MVP award getting more a lot more random. As it stands now in my game, Ted Williams has lead the majors in VORP every year he's been in the league, so he's won 10 consecutive MVPs. Which might be sensible, but doesn't remotely aproximate how the award works in MLB

Previous versions of OOTP have had numerous threads complaining about the "wrong" player getting the MVP. Its really a no-win situation for Markus and he probably just decided to give it to the guy with the best season rather than making it subjective and getting a lot more complaints on the issue.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #1087
MrBug708
Head Coach

Jon's from Georgia, banning is outlawed down there
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:22 PM   #1088
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

You just see things in this game that always make me question what is going on under the hood.

I just saw a player in A ball who didn't have a defense rating on the report. The AI keeps putting this 1st baseman who is rated a 4 out of 20 defensively at Catcher where he is not rated. Ok, whatever you want to turn this lousy first baseman into a catcher, that is fine.

The scary part is this in his history:

Won the Gold Glove at C in 2009

Umm... ok, so a player who isn't rated at C won the Gold Glove there......
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #1089
Ksyrup

Was that in the same year - you mean the Single A GG Award?
Old 04-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #1090
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Was that in the same year - you mean the Single A GG Award?

It was the Florida State League Gold Glove. He's never gotten out of A ball, he still catches every day, still has no rating at catcher but he's got that shiny FSL gold glove...
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #1091
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
It was the Florida State League Gold Glove. He's never gotten out of A ball, he still catches every day, still has no rating at catcher but he's got that shiny FSL gold glove...

At least gold gloves in the game are worth about as much as they are in RL.

Its something that should never happen, but you know if its posted on the OOTP forums you're going to get every example of poor gold glove choices in MLB history (not by Markus, but by the fanboys there), which entirely misses the point...
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #1092
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Why I haven't bought the game...(a short story)

I read the first few pages of this thread during the days following the release. Things looked quite good. The reports of complexity seemed to be more than offset with the people having fun generating excellent baseball histories for their leagues. Interesting stuff.

I made a mental note to come back and check on things after a patch or two, as I didn't have time at that time to handle a complex learning curve and there were other things to play.

So tonight, I come back with the intent of purchasing the game. But as I read through the last five pages in this thread, I was struck by the volume of posts dealing with people trying to get their leagues working right. Things like unchecking such and such a button on such and such a screen to allow unlimited A-ball rosters, and setting age limits on minor leagues to force the AI to dump players, which may or may not actually be even in the game.

Swaggs' excellent post about making several attempts and taking several hours to get a league set up brought flashbacks to my first attempt at playing OOTP 3.0. I remembered taking about ten hours and making a half dozen league startups to get the financial system working the way I wanted it in that game. By the time I got it all somewhat working, I was tired of the game and went on to something else. Although certainly the current game is vastly improved, the gamer's experience sounds eerily similar: there is a significant chunk of time that must be invested in OOTP before you can actually play the game. I want to buy a game I can play now, not a game that I have to decipher for five hours or more before I can start to enjoy. And so I go back on the fence to wait to see if things might change after another patch or two.

Well said and I think you mirror the thoughts of a lot of people. The old boards were riddled with great stories of the game and stuff that has happened. The online leagues were rocking. Now the boards have the feel of a software development site with people trying to fix a game they actually paid for. They lost the focus of what made the great and look to be on the verge of destroying a great franchise.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #1093
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Well said and I think you mirror the thoughts of a lot of people. The old boards were riddled with great stories of the game and stuff that has happened. The online leagues were rocking. Now the boards have the feel of a software development site with people trying to fix a game they actually paid for. They lost the focus of what made the great and look to be on the verge of destroying a great franchise.

Which, again, why I went back to v5. I was too anxious to start playing again, to see my career unfold (I'm in my 5th season after 3 weeks), that I knew I would be frustrated in trying to find my game with v2007. I really do believe, however, that this new version will work eventually - given patches, time, experience and familiarity, even if they did mess up some the good reports and screens we had in the past.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #1094
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Which, again, why I went back to v5. I was too anxious to start playing again, to see my career unfold (I'm in my 5th season after 3 weeks), that I knew I would be frustrated in trying to find my game with v2007. I really do believe, however, that this new version will work eventually - given patches, time, experience and familiarity, even if they did mess up some the good reports and screens we had in the past.
My problem is that I like playing with the current rosters too much. So I have to stick to 6.51.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #1095
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
I've never bought a OOTP before, but I set up a universe with 5 minors levels, Japan, Korea, Venezuala, Mexico, and Cuba, and it took like a half hour. I made a bunch of mistakes, but corrected them as I went along and never had to restart. I've spent hours playing three seasons. Financials are working fine, I've made some good deals when my amazing hitting scout found some gems before the teams realized how good they were, and some deals that didn't work out because the guy busted. I've had players sign for less than market value to stay with the team, and some players want insane contracts.

Last year I got to game 7 of the World Series. My number 3 starter got hurt in game 3, so I had to choose between my a starter who had been in AAA most of the year and who had been my long reliever all playoffs, or my old #4 starter who had pitched great until midseason when he hurt his elbow and was just now eligible to come off the DL. I went with the guy off the DL, and he pitched 5 solid innings and left with the lead, then my bullpen who had been my Achilles heel all year, gave up 7 runs in 4 innings and I was gone. It was a great playoff run, in the ten games I won there were 3 walk off homeruns.

There are a couple of things I don't like about it, but I'm having a great time playing it.

Stories like these make me wonder if it's a vocal minority that is complaining and a quiet majority that is simply playing the game and having a great time.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #1096
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hey GB, long time no see. Hope you're doin well
Old 04-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #1097
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
My problem is that I like playing with the current rosters too much. So I have to stick to 6.51.

so is doing the lahman import to end-of-season 2006 rosters not good enough? that's good enough for em when I want to play using real players (though I normally play fictional)
Old 04-28-2007, 08:41 PM   #1098
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
so is doing the lahman import to end-of-season 2006 rosters not good enough? that's good enough for em when I want to play using real players (though I normally play fictional)

Does it have a decent batch of minor league players? I don't need full minors, but I'd want atleast the top 10 prospects for each team. If that's possible, I'll try that.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #1099
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Stories like these make me wonder if it's a vocal minority that is complaining and a quiet majority that is simply playing the game and having a great time.

Perhaps. But sales are down and the boards are dead. My guess is that people just didn't bother.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #1100
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Does it have a decent batch of minor league players? I don't need full minors, but I'd want atleast the top 10 prospects for each team. If that's possible, I'll try that.

it has all players who played at the major league level in 2006, so since that is more than can fit on an active 25 man roster, you will have some guys in the minor leagues, but these are typically not 'top prospects' but rather scrubs who came up in 2006 for a cup of coffee.

still might be something to at least try out.