Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #2551
gi
College Prospect

Language is lighter than most of my board game nights.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #2552
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

I've gone insane with board games this past month, caught up in some Black Friday Sales and I'm still spiraling out of control. On Black Friday I got:

- Twilight Struggle (Only played 2 games so far, but LOVE it)
- Defenders of the Realm (Played once, not sure I like it - may trade away)
- Pandemic: The Cure (Played twice, really like it!)
- Zombicide (Played twice, think I like it...)
- Dawn of the Zeds Directors Cut Expansion (haven't played yet)

Then I went on eBay to find one game that is not currently available, and an oldie I heard good things about. With shipping, each of these cost me a Benjamin each.

- Field Commander Napolean (only played twice)
- Raid on St. Nazaire (brand new in shrink)

And then there is this one I just ordered when I learned about it on BGG:

- Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident

Finally, I asked for the following for Christmas:

- Warfighter Combo Pack

... and there are still more on my wishlist I'd love to get like:

- Navajo Wars
- Flash Point
- Thunder Alley
- Cuba Libre
- Robinson Crusoe
- Freedom: The Underground Railroad
- Andean Abyss
- A Distant Plain
- Thunderbolt Apache Leader

... to name a few. Ugh!!!
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #2553
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Anybody have any Roman Empire or Roman Republic era war games or along that theme at least they could recommend?

I've played History of the Roman Empire several times and enjoyed it. There's a few rules issues, but BGG seems to have the answers.

History of the Roman Empire | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

It is a four player game, but we've always had 8 players in four teams of 2 with each team having a barbarian and a legionary player.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW

Last edited by OldGiants : 12-08-2014 at 03:55 PM.
OldGiants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #2554
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Damn, Padres. That's an impressive haul. Field Commander Napoleon is a great game.
I have two on your wish list (Navajo Wars & Robinson Crusoe) but have yet to play them. Christmas goal is to catch up and play some games.

Of course, that didn't stop me from snagging a couple of games: Mound Builders & Serenissima.

I also backed Wilderness Empires from Worthington on Kickstarter. Hoping to still get Victory in Europe kickstarter before Christmas.

I can't believe I missed out on the kickstarter for Tiger Leader (Thunderbolt Apache but for Panzers!). Emailed the company to see if they are going to offer the same thing for a bit higher price. I've noticed several companies have done that lately. Worthington did it for New York 1776.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #2555
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Who are these idiots and why are you associating with them?

People on the internet. I was talking about Tabletop at my game night and at least one person had no clue what I was talking about.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #2556
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
I've gone insane with board games this past month, caught up in some Black Friday Sales and I'm still spiraling out of control. On Black Friday I got:

- Twilight Struggle (Only played 2 games so far, but LOVE it)
- Defenders of the Realm (Played once, not sure I like it - may trade away)
- Pandemic: The Cure (Played twice, really like it!)
- Zombicide (Played twice, think I like it...)
- Dawn of the Zeds Directors Cut Expansion (haven't played yet)

Then I went on eBay to find one game that is not currently available, and an oldie I heard good things about. With shipping, each of these cost me a Benjamin each.

- Field Commander Napolean (only played twice)
- Raid on St. Nazaire (brand new in shrink)

And then there is this one I just ordered when I learned about it on BGG:

- Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident

Finally, I asked for the following for Christmas:

- Warfighter Combo Pack

... and there are still more on my wishlist I'd love to get like:

- Navajo Wars
- Flash Point
- Thunder Alley
- Cuba Libre
- Robinson Crusoe
- Freedom: The Underground Railroad
- Andean Abyss
- A Distant Plain
- Thunderbolt Apache Leader

... to name a few. Ugh!!!

That is a haul Al. So did you play these mostly solo? I am curious about twilight struggles if you played it solo especially how it played?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:50 AM   #2557
Galaril
Pro Starter

So anybody play or have Kemet or it's sister game Cyclades? Curious of which would be better for kids to learn and when need be able to solo it?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #2558
cschex
High School Varsity

How old are the kids? They are different games, Kemet is area control/war game with a tech tree and Cyclades is a bidding/resource management game at heart. Both great, though I find Kemet a little easier for folks to grok. However, due to the nature of the mechanics I have a hard time imagining either to be a satisfying solo experience unless someone has posted a strong variant on BGG
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #2559
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
That is a haul Al. So did you play these mostly solo? I am curious about twilight struggles if you played it solo especially how it played?

Hey Dan, yes, about 90% of my board-gaming is done solo. I bought Twilight Struggle mostly for it's #1 ranking on BGG, hoping that I'd be able to talk one of my kids into playing it with me. Luckily, both my 26 year old daughter and 21 year old son were willing participants this past weekend. I let them play the USSR since I read the Soviets are easier to play for new players, and I lost both games at the US. Didn't care though, the game is super cool and I think either of them would be happy to play again.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #2560
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
How old are the kids? They are different games, Kemet is area control/war game with a tech tree and Cyclades is a bidding/resource management game at heart. Both great, though I find Kemet a little easier for folks to grok. However, due to the nature of the mechanics I have a hard time imagining either to be a satisfying solo experience unless someone has posted a strong variant on BGG

Ok so not being solo kills it as that is probably 50% of my gaming. My kids are 7 and 12 plus a girlfriend my age. Probably gaming is 2 or 3 players then and guess either of these would be ok for that number.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #2561
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hey Dan, yes, about 90% of my board-gaming is done solo. I bought Twilight Struggle mostly for it's #1 ranking on BGG, hoping that I'd be able to talk one of my kids into playing it with me. Luckily, both my 26 year old daughter and 21 year old son were willing participants this past weekend. I let them play the USSR since I read the Soviets are easier to play for new players, and I lost both games at the US. Didn't care though, the game is super cool and I think either of them would be happy to play again.

Al, wow you also got great deals on those two for a Benjamin each on ebay. Good for you they being sold now at $150-200 each .........I can't find Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident where did you find it or buy it man?

Last edited by Galaril : 12-09-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #2562
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
I can't find Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident where did you find it or buy it man?

Right here.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #2563
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Ok so not being solo kills it as that is probably 50% of my gaming. My kids are 7 and 12 plus a girlfriend my age. Probably gaming is 2 or 3 players then and guess either of these would be ok for that number.

As I'm not a solo gamer, I don't know if there are decent solo versions that were made for them, but the back and forth between players is a lot of what makes each game. I think Kemet works well with any player count 2-5, Cyclades base game is much better with 3 or 4 than with 2 (if you have the Hades expansion the 2 player game is much more interesting). I do most of my gaming two player, just so you know where my perspective is coming from.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #2564
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

2014 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games | BoardGameGeek

I found the idea of a solo variant for Merchants and Marauders as one way for me to get the game played and for me to learn it.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #2565
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Right here.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #2566
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
2014 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games | BoardGameGeek

I found the idea of a solo variant for Merchants and Marauders as one way for me to get the game played and for me to learn it.

Thank you sir.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #2567
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

If a second interview goes well with a company, I'm gonna have to pick up maybe a couple solitaire games since I will be traveling some.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #2568
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Sentinels of the Multiverse is at $17.39 or 57% off on Amazon. Obviously helps to have Prime as that will get you free shipping.

Link

Last edited by Matthean : 12-11-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #2569
Thomkal
Head Coach

On Tabletop-For those with families:

Catan Junior: Emily Anderson, Brett Baligad, and Adam Chernick join Wil Wheaton on TableTop S03E03 - YouTube

Wil plays Catan Junior with 3 kids.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #2570
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
On Tabletop-For those with families:

Catan Junior: Emily Anderson, Brett Baligad, and Adam Chernick join Wil Wheaton on TableTop S03E03 - YouTube

Wil plays Catan Junior with 3 kids.

I'll definitely try to watch this as Catan Jr will be under the Christmas tree.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #2571
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sentinels of the Multiverse is at $17.39 or 57% off on Amazon. Obviously helps to have Prime as that will get you free shipping.

Link

So this is a great deal and thanks.............So before I buy this I was looking at reviews and alot of them say things like the game has mostly cards that give powers that either cause damage and more damage and that is it? They often say that there is "no actual game here" and it is "simply picking the best card and little strategy. No real big decisions and it devolves to just doing math;-(
I wonder if I should instead grab Cosmic Encounters.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #2572
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So this is a great deal and thanks.............So before I buy this I was looking at reviews and alot of them say things like the game has mostly cards that give powers that either cause damage and more damage and that is it? They often say that there is "no actual game here" and it is "simply picking the best card and little strategy. No real big decisions and it devolves to just doing math;-(
I wonder if I should instead grab Cosmic Encounters.

You should pick up Cosmic Encounters anyway.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #2573
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

To follow up, I do think it is on the family/gateway side, so if you are looking for even medium depth it won't be there. The book keeping is a well known issue.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #2574
Galaril
Pro Starter

Thanks I am going to pass on them all I think for various reasons and continue the search.

Last edited by Galaril : 12-12-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:46 AM   #2575
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

It is a whole different game, but Sentinel Tactics has been great. I picked up a copy from the Jack Vasel auction, and played it last weekend. Everyone had a blast. It is a miniatures game, well the base set doesn't include miniatures but they are available, the miniatures are purely optional. The game play so far has been great. It was fantastic with 3, but admittedly dragged a little with 5, just too much down time between turns. But that was a first play, and with a couple of teenagers who are known to drag turns and games out.

Sentinel Tactics includes the same heroes as the Multiverse card game, but I really like the miniatures version. The card game didn't do it for me.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #2576
cschex
High School Varsity

The card game of Sentinels is my favorite game, but admittedly not for everyone. However, the reviews that say there is no game there are selling it extremely short. It is the type of game that gets better with multiple plays and knowledge of each hero's cards and deck opens your eyes to more possible combos and synergies with their teammates. I love the minis game as well and I think it specifically is a good choice for those who liked the theme of the card game but not the gameplay
Old 12-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #2577
Grover
Pro Starter

Bought King of Tokyo last night. Really looking forward to trying it tonight.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #2578
rowech
Pro Starter

Wife bought a game called "Rise of Augustus" for $9.98 off of Amazon. It's nothing unbelievable but we've enjoyed it. Quick playing, some small decisions to be made, a little luck, etc.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #2579
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Bought King of Tokyo last night. Really looking forward to trying it tonight.

Great choice for just a fun game, especially with a lot of fun people.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:05 PM   #2580
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I picked Sentinel Tactics as the superhero game to play. I did a partial walkthrough for rules and it looks like it fill the need I want from it. I just need it played in a group. I keep fighting off SotM. I have a feeling as soon as I get a tablet that's one of the first games I get.

Taught a friend Taluva, and he said he liked it better than Carcassonne, which I do as well. It was interesting to play against somebody and see how they did some strategy. Gonna try and get it played at game night and play it with more people. It plays better with two, but I still want to see it with more.

Also played Glory to Rome. I've come to the conclusion I'm not fond of teaching it to someone in a two player game. So far those games have gone way long to the point I was wanting to remind my friend he could end the game by starting to build to purple buildings, and since he was way ahead of me in influence, he had no real threat from losing the game. I could have won if it kept going, and I was able to play a card, but I was so screwed for resources pretty much the whole game, so that's part of the reason it dragged so much. I learned to never play the game passively.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #2581
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Won my first game (out of 3 tries) of Twilight Struggle this weekend. (Using the Wargames card on Turn 10). What a fantastic game. Highly recommend it.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #2582
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Won my first game (out of 3 tries) of Twilight Struggle this weekend. (Using the Wargames card on Turn 10). What a fantastic game. Highly recommend it.

Not solo I assume?
Old 12-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #2583
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Not solo I assume?

Correct, not solo. I can get my daughter to play a game every now and then.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #2584
Galaril
Pro Starter

Cool I am weighing getting Twilight Struggle that I could play with my girlfriend but also believe there is a solo variant on BGG or Combat Commander:Nimitz that is strictly solo but I love the WW2 Pacific.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #2585
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I went Star Wars: Imperial Assault, Troyes, and Star Realms expansion bundle. I can't really complain about getting stuff related to games in BGG's Top 100 or one that will be.

Despite being told by the publisher on the 11th that the Star Realms expansions will be out very soon if they aren't out already in certain parts, my e-mail I got back from Cardhaus today said they aren't even at the distributor level.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #2586
cschex
High School Varsity

That's a bummer. After watching the reviews/unboxing, I'm actually glad they sold them in different packs as I'm mainly just interested in the Events deck
Old 12-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #2587
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Publisher posted a pick on FB showing they got them in yesterday, so there's zero chance the expansions go from them, to distributors, to stores, to customers in five days. I know stuff happens, but one would think having them in customers hands before the 25th would be a good thing.

Game night last night. Finally got Samurai played last night versus another person. I won in a landslide. I had 4-4-3 in terms of game pieces. I went after the main city, Edo?, collecting all of the pieces there and pretty much stream rolled the rest. I do want to play it with more since it will make things more contested I think, and it gives boats more options. I still think this is one of the tile tile placement games out there. It also makes me want to get T&E down and get that played.

Had my 10th play of Suburbia. I think I played as well as I could and still lost. One public goal was most airports and only one ever came out. My secret goal scored 10 and my opponent's scored 20. If the game had lasted maybe two more rounds, I could have pulled it off because I was way ahead until goal scoring was factored in.

Finally got a play of Walnut Grove in. Not sure on how many plays it might offer in the end, but it is a quick euro styled game that I like. People say it is similar to Agricola and Carcassone. There's not that much stress in it compared to Agricola. That's not the point I don't think. It plays in 30 minutes and is on the lighter side. The fact that you play 8 years with three of the 4 seasons all being simultaneous action means there almost no downtime which is nice. Once you get the game down, it is going to play rather quick. And yes I won.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #2588
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Wife bought a game called "Rise of Augustus" for $9.98 off of Amazon. It's nothing unbelievable but we've enjoyed it. Quick playing, some small decisions to be made, a little luck, etc.

Ah yes Gamer Bingo!

It is one we enjoy with the kids, well and without them actually. It seemed ripe for expansions after the spiel de jahres nomination and all, but haven't seen any.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #2589
tarcone
Coordinator

Had a game day a few weeks ago. 5 of us at the beginning then 4 midway thru.

We started with Struggle of Empires. What a fun game. Very interesting mechanics. Everyone really enjoyed it.

The a game of DC deck building. With the new expansion. I got killed. It was a runaway win. The guy had cards coming out every turn.

Then one guy left. We pulled out Galactic Emperor. Sort of TI3 lite. But not really. Still, a very fun game. Me and another were tied for the win at the end. The tie breaker is to gather all your ships on the board and have one last battle. I was out gunned. But almost pulled it out. Came in 2nd.

Then we ended the night with a game of Thunder Alley. This is one of my favorite games. And my experience shows thru on most games. I got that win.

A great day of gaming.

Tuesday, 4 of us are gathering for some COIN gaming. Probaby A Distant Plain.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #2590
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Game day at a store. Played Castles of Mad King Ludwig. I'm honestly not sure what people are thinking that this so obviously fires Suburbia. It does some stuff better but some stuff worse. There were two points where I wondered how this game was firing Suburbia. It is a solid game but no way something that is suppose to be clearly better than another.

Next up was Imperial Settlers. This was an honest surprise I guess although I'm not sure why. It played so smooth. While card draw can be an issue, the guy who was talking about his slow start due to lack of production cards ended up winning the game. I had huge amounts of production, but I might have come in last. I did play the Japanese who are suppose to be hard and the guy who won owns the game so maybe with more plays I could have done a lot better.

Last game was El Grande. I still think this is the best new to me game of the year. Still continuing my streak of ending up in dead last. Someday it is going to click for me.

Last edited by Matthean : 12-20-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #2591
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Correct, not solo. I can get my daughter to play a game every now and then.

Curious how long did Twilight Struggle take you to play? I think my GF would enjoy this but am hoping for something under 3 hours.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #2592
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I am about to play a game of Power Grid against 3 robots. My wife and I have played Power Grid against 2 robots and had fun, but this is my first time trying to do this game as the only human player. If I do not win this game, I am never going to show my face anywhere in the world ever again, Bye, Felicia. And by Felicia, I mean me.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #2593
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Curious how long did Twilight Struggle take you to play? I think my GF would enjoy this but am hoping for something under 3 hours.

It takes 2 full games to get a good grasp of everything, and if those learning games go the full 10 turns, you could easily be pushing 3 hours. However, my impression is that once you get into the flow, you would be looking at 90-150 minute games on average.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #2594
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
It takes 2 full games to get a good grasp of everything, and if those learning games go the full 10 turns, you could easily be pushing 3 hours. However, my impression is that once you get into the flow, you would be looking at 90-150 minute games on average.

Thanks Al and happy holidays.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:58 PM   #2595
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

For BGGers.

BoardGameMenu.com
Old 12-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #2596
tarcone
Coordinator

That is cool. What a great addition to game night that would be.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #2597
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Last game was El Grande. I still think this is the best new to me game of the year. Still continuing my streak of ending up in dead last. Someday it is going to click for me.

After 10 years of owning this, it still does not get old for me. It is an absolute gem.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #2598
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Sentinels of the Multiverse finally made it to Steam, $14.99. Hopefully Summoner Wars follows.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #2599
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
For BGGers.

BoardGameMenu.com

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #2600
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
For BGGers.

BoardGameMenu.com

Whoa! Now I may just have a reason to update my collection. It is woefully out of date, but this is pretty cool.

Actually I think there are apps out that do this for IOS devices, because I've seen people use them. But I'm not sure if those apps were hitting their bgg accounts.