Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #1701
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Not buying cards

Pretty much the obvious house rule - I like the game setup enough that I will probably give this a go at some point, but I don't really expect it to be fun or rewarding. Frustrating, as the game is constructed very well.

What I think the game really would benefit from is what it's missing from Monopoly -- the palpable sense of anxiety when a player enters a "trouble zone" (or an opportunity zone, I suppose). I love the notion of investing in the ability to alter your landing spots -- that's a great addition -- but whether it's the computerized pace, the lack of compelling colors/visuals, or just the lack of bundled properties -- I never feel that way. Occasionally, I look ahead and mutter that I hope I spin a 3 to get a new car -- but it's rarely a major investment, and without that, the game will always be lacking to me.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #1702
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It took me a while but after playing the maps (esp NYC) so many times, I can anticipate the trouble spots - not only the high basic rents but the big built up ones as well. I had a NYC game recently where there were 5 mid-town properties in a row (around the Chrysler building) where the ai had $100+k rents. That was a deadly zone that I was lucky to avoid and it did knock me out eventually. There were no choices I could make to prevent that just lucky or unlucky die rolls, which makes for a roller coaster game but pretty much lacking in skills needed.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #1703
Raiders Army
Coordinator

The War on Terror Game is free right now: War on Terror for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

It's an interesting Risk type game. I don't think the AI is very difficult and there's no pass'n'play mode (just single player)...however, it was entertaining for about an hour for my first game. Especially for free.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #1704
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Keep them coming.. just received my ipad mini. Going to check out:

The Room
Beat Sneak Bandit
Mikey Shorts
Blast A Way
Catch 22
Spin Up
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #1705
SegRat
High School Varsity

Someone here must play bike race? If you do hit me up, looking to get as many races as I can.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #1706
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I've been getting into Great Big War Game, which I picked up recently for $0.99. It is IGN's 2012 Strategy Game of the Year and here's part of a review that talks about what it's like a little bit:

Quote:
The aptly titled Great Big War Game proves that deep strategy and engaging gameplay can fit into a few dozen megabytes and less than five inches of display.

A turn-based strategy created by UK-based Rubicon Development, GBWG puts you in command of an army of diverse land, air, and sea units, each with its unique strengths and abilities. Rubicon made good use of the old paper-rock-scissors principle, and came up with a deep, refined gameplay, without making the game too complicated. This is a mobile title after all.

Like its 2011 predecessor, Great Little War Game, GBWG doesn’t take itself too seriously. The graphics are lighthearted, the characters cartoonish, with oversized heads and ridiculous personas. The central character of the story is the generalissimo, a hapless commander that tries to impress Candy, an equally hapless junior officer. The simple, yet hilarious story is mostly conveyed through cut-scenes between campaign missions. While the storyline is anything but deep, it does tie the game together, and it’ll make you laugh from time to time.

The campaign mode in Great Big War Game offers no less than 50 missions, enough to keep you busy for more than forty hours.

In most missions, you will have to destroy the enemy command center, but you will also be tasked with protecting your general, securing an objective, assassinating an enemy officer, or acquiring resources. Overall, there’s enough variety to keep you glued to your device.

For instance, in one of the early missions, you will have to protect your general against an enemy hit squad. Unless you lay down landmines with your Technicians and capture a rocket launcher with an Engineer, you will fail the mission, time and again. In another one, you will have to land on a fortified beach, D-Day style, which requires quite a bit of planning. If you just rush ahead with a few units, you’ll fall victim to enemy snipers and artillery. To succeed, you’ll need to stage a coordinated landing, using Ferries and a combination of infantry and tanks.

Great Big War Game is never boring, thanks to clever elements such as the fog of war (Scouts are a must), limited fuel and ammo (keep those supply trucks close) and structure capturing. In fact, one of the most important units in the game is the Engineer, that lets you steal enemy buildings, including the crucial money-making Oil Rigs.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #1707
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Played The Room last night.. fantastic puzzle game.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #1708
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Played The Room last night.. fantastic puzzle game.

I generally agree although I feel ripped off that it's not even a complete game.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #1709
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I generally agree although I feel ripped off that it's not even a complete game.

Can't disagree here.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #1710
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone play Battle of the Bulge?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #1711
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Anyone play Battle of the Bulge?

So tempted to but what I read the game lacks a lot of replay value. Doesn't seem many think it's worth the price tag despite people being a huge fan of the game.

Last edited by rowech : 01-01-2013 at 02:00 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #1712
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So tempted to but what I read the game lacks a lot of replay value. Doesn't seem many think it's worth the price tag despite people being a huge fan of the game.

Bill Abner had a nice writeup about it and calls it his #1 iOS game of the year.

We have like $180 worth of iTunes gift cards, so I'm going to check it out. Heck, $10 seems like peanuts to the $60 per game I spent my Gamestop giftcards on.

Dungeon Story is a decent little time waster.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #1713
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

I have it and like it a lot. Very professionally produced. If you like fairly simple war / area control board games, I'd recommend it.

The replay value depends on whether you are willing to play multiplayer (either asynchronous or hot seat). Playing solitaire against the AI (which is well done IMO) can get a bit old just because the map is somewhat limited. So after a while you can anticipate the AI moves. Playing multiplayer, you never know what you're going to come up against.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #1714
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
Someone here must play bike race? If you do hit me up, looking to get as many races as I can.

My brother in law was playing it a lot over Christmas. What IS it, anyway?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #1715
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
I have it and like it a lot. Very professionally produced. If you like fairly simple war / area control board games, I'd recommend it.

The replay value depends on whether you are willing to play multiplayer (either asynchronous or hot seat). Playing solitaire against the AI (which is well done IMO) can get a bit old just because the map is somewhat limited. So after a while you can anticipate the AI moves. Playing multiplayer, you never know what you're going to come up against.

Let's play sometime.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #1716
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
I've been getting into Great Big War Game, which I picked up recently for $0.99. It is IGN's 2012 Strategy Game of the Year and here's part of a review that talks about what it's like a little bit:

Bucc - I played the lite version on my android and the first 3 missions were very easy. I won on the first try on hard difficulty. Do the missions get more difficult?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #1717
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
My brother in law was playing it a lot over Christmas. What IS it, anyway?

/tk

It is kind of like excite bike meets words with friends. The game is great. Just about everyone that I am friends with is playing around here. It is a very simple, yet very fun game. Your turn take only a couple of minutes.

Last edited by SegRat : 01-02-2013 at 06:28 AM.
SegRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #1718
Buccaneer
Head Coach

henry296, good question, I don't know yet as I am on the third mission myself. I would think these are tutorial-like missions.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #1719
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:

i'm your huckleberry

just added you on GC.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #1720
SegRat
High School Varsity

I think I can only invite you through email or Facebook.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #1721
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
I think I can only invite you through email or Facebook.

mutter vile evil things. /mutter

PM sent

Last edited by finketr : 01-02-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #1722
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just discovered Plague over the holiday, really fun addictive game. Currently stuck on fungus. tried a bunch of different combos and nothing works so far, they keep curing it. I think I spend my DNA points to fast, need to be more patient.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #1723
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Bucc - I played the lite version on my android and the first 3 missions were very easy. I won on the first try on hard difficulty. Do the missions get more difficult?

I finally got around to start the 4th mission and it appears to be much harder. You start off with 3 Grenadiers surrounded by 11 enemy units with no barracks or oil derricks under your control (thus, no income). You have 3 combat units plus 3 engineers some distance away on the other side of the enemy lines. Looks like that's all I got to hold off the opponent, which unlike the earlier missions, these will be attacking and not standing around. But you'll never know how it plays out.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #1724
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Has Big Win Basketball (or football) been brought up in this thread yet? I've been playing the basketball one quite a bit lately. There is a 'friends' trophy and I was wondering if FOFC ever got into this?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #1725
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Has Big Win Basketball (or football) been brought up in this thread yet? I've been playing the basketball one quite a bit lately. There is a 'friends' trophy and I was wondering if FOFC ever got into this?

I think the Hockey and Soccer game were played a bit when they came out.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #1726
finketr
College Prospect

i've seen them come up in advertisements but i haven't downloaded them as of yet.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #1727
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

FIFA 13 on the ipad mini is one fantastic game! Stayed up until 2am playing that one last night.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #1728
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I finally got around to start the 4th mission and it appears to be much harder. You start off with 3 Grenadiers surrounded by 11 enemy units with no barracks or oil derricks under your control (thus, no income). You have 3 combat units plus 3 engineers some distance away on the other side of the enemy lines. Looks like that's all I got to hold off the opponent, which unlike the earlier missions, these will be attacking and not standing around. But you'll never know how it plays out.

Mission 4 took about 2 hours to do and mission 5 a little less. Before going on to other 45 missions, I'm going to start over and play on Hard.

FWIW, I play Trade Mania about 4 times a week and got it to where I would lose about half the time. Not being able to avoid the huge tax hits and enormous rents can wipe out $2m very quickly. I also won a game where the opponent had $2m to my $50k.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #1729
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
FIFA 13 on the ipad mini is one fantastic game! Stayed up until 2am playing that one last night.

Is there a career option or simply exhibition games? How are the controls?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #1730
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Is there a career option or simply exhibition games? How are the controls?

There is a career option, haven't started yet, getting used to the controls.

Speaking of the controls, they are really pretty nice, at least with the ipad mini, virtual joystick on the left and buttons on the right.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #1731
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I am on a HUGE soccer kick right now, just purchased FM 13 and I'm engrossed. In fact, I actually understand most of it, unlike the pc counterpart.

I love my xbox, but I can see the handheld market really booming as games are much cheaper and easier to jump in and out of.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 01-13-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #1732
SegRat
High School Varsity

Just downloaded HeadCoach football. It's like uno type game but football style. It is buggy right now, but hopefully with some updates this game could be really fun. Best of all its free.

Last edited by SegRat : 01-14-2013 at 11:35 AM.
SegRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #1733
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Here is their website, looks like it could be a fun game!

http://www.headcoachfootball.com/
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #1734
SegRat
High School Varsity

Playing some more with the game. It is a really fun game, minus a few bugs. I'm surprised it is free.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #1735
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

For anyone who likes card building type games, Playdek has all of their IoS stuff on sell in the apple store for 99 cents this weekend it appears. This includes in game purchases of add on packs or bundles too.

Ascencion, Penny arcade, Fluxx, Nightfall, Food Fight, Can't Stop and Summon War (I think thats it and I am not forgetting anything).

Some pretty good deals in there if you like some of these (including the everything bundle in Summoner Wars which is normally $8.99 for only 99 cents)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #1736
finketr
College Prospect

angry birds rio seems to be free at the moment.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #1737
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Temple Run 2
Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #1738
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
angry birds rio seems to be free at the moment.

I downloaded this game tonight. I played for a few minutes before my son started asking to play. So I give him the phone and he buys an in app purchase for 39.99!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #1739
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I downloaded this game tonight. I played for a few minutes before my son started asking to play. So I give him the phone and he buys an in app purchase for 39.99!!!

That's why you only do itunes cards and leave your credit cards out of it.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #1740
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You can block in app purchases in ios
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #1741
britrock88
Pro Starter

Let's hope you'll become the king of Rio!
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #1742
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Rio was the first Angry Birds version I played (even finishing it all) and after playing some of the other versions (like the original and Seasons), I liked Rio a whole lot better. Rio made better use of gravity and placement better than many of the Seasons ones.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #1743
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post

One more post about GBWG. I started over to play on Hard and when playing Mission 5 last night, I got beat badly. I approached the final area apparently with too few units and they all got wiped out and any new units I built, got wiped out quickly too. Probably did that one a little too aggressively and will start that mission over and shouldn't have any problems adjusting my tactics. Just goes to show that it does get harder. My brother, who recommended the game, has played into the 20s and said it got too hard that he had to go down a difficulty level.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #1744
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Two apps I've found...interesting...lately.

First is Pixel Defenders Puzzle. It's kinda a match-3 game, but it's also a strategy-ish game. I can't really describe it properly. TouchArcade has some gameplay footage, should you want to check it out. Basically, you have a target you're trying to defend (a person that moves around the board on their own, one block at a time). You match-3 to build either a defender or BETTER defender (match 3 blocks to make 1 level-1 defender; match 3 level-1 defenders to make a level-2 defender; match 3 level-2 defenders to make a level-3 defender). Each time you place a tile, you get "action points" (well, fractions of action points). Each action point allows your defenders to attack the wave of baddies trying to attack your target. It's kinda fun...but I always forget which is the level 1 or the level 2 and stuff, so I keep mis-placing my tiles. I think if I played more regularly I'd remember more. Anyway, it's 99 cents and I've gotten 99 cents of entertainment out of it. It was updated today for GC support and stuff, too... TouchArcade info, in case you're interested...

TUAW pointed me to the "Official Crock-Pot Recipes" app today. If you have a slow-cooker and want recipes, the app is $3.99. I bought it, it looks pretty good. It's like the official book, but it's searchable (filters such as ingredients, difficulty, calories...). There are add-ons that can be purchased...but I think from what I've seen so far, it would end up cheaper than the actual print book. And it apparently has some interfaces that can be used with voice only, so if you're in the kitchen trying to use it...anyway, if you like to use a slowcooker (and I do), it seems like it might be useful...

/tk
Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #1745
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Been playing a lot of Dungelot over the weekend. It's a "rogue" type game where you flip tiles over on a board and explore a dungeon's multiple levels.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #1746
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I second both recommendation for Pixel Defenders Puzzle and Dungelot.

gameplay for PDP is a lot similar to Triple Town if that means anything to anybody. Fun game.

Like law90026, I have been playing a lot of Dungelot since Friday. VERY simple gameplay of the rogue type but quite fun. Hope they do put in a way to save games though as I can see games getting too long before you die that you can't always play it on one sitting and it sucks when the games resets between playing sessions and you restart progress on your game... But otherwise a very fun game that was first selling for 1.99 but is now down to 99 cents for the time being.

FM
Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #1747
TLK
Pro Starter

This is my future brother-in-law's app. I'm not sure if anyone here would make use of it, but if nothing else it's a free time waster.

Mental Math Cards:
App Shopper: Mental Math Cards (Education)
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #1748
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for posting about Dungelot, fantastic time waster!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #1749
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
Been playing a lot of Dungelot over the weekend. It's a "rogue" type game where you flip tiles over on a board and explore a dungeon's multiple levels.

*shakes fist* at you and FM.

I blame staying up way too late 2 days in a row on you.

/tk
Old 01-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #1750
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
*shakes fist* at you and FM.

I blame staying up way too late 2 days in a row on you.

/tk

I'm laughing uncontrollably at the fact that you are blaming me while quoting someone else's post.....

FM