Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-03-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Levee Update?

The news has focused (as it should) on the evacuation efforts. Have there been any recent updates on the progress of getting the breaches fixed?

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 11:07 AM   #2
rjolley
College Starter

I thought I read on cnn.com that they had one fixed, but the other 2 weren't. I'll see if I can find a link...

edit: Looks like the flooding has subsided, but the breeches are not completely repaired. http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/kat...ing/index.html

edit 2: I didn't realize how large the breech in the leeves were. Looking at the video associated with the story above, it's massive.

Last edited by rjolley : 09-03-2005 at 11:20 AM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:45 PM   #3
Masked
College Starter

Yesterday water was draining out of the city through the breeches in the 17th ST and Industrial canals. At this point, I think they are waiting to finish repairs until as much water as possible escapes.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked
Yesterday water was draining out of the city through the breeches in the 17th ST and Industrial canals. At this point, I think they are waiting to finish repairs until as much water as possible escapes.

CNN was showing footage this morning of crews working on the 17th st canal. It loooked like they still had a lot of work to do on it.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:36 PM   #5
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked

That's what I've read as well. In fact, they've been talking about creating additional breeches to speed up the outflow of floodwaters from New Orleans back into Lake Pontchartrain. Once the water level stabilizes, then they'll work on filling in all the breeches and starting the pumping.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:06 PM   #6
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Just to be even more specific, an Army core of Engineers general told CNN that the 17th street levy and one other are 70 percent closed, and can be closed within 3-5 hours if needed. But they are using the levees as a way to draw out water. Once that stops, they will close the levees.