Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #29751
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I don't think so. I think they can successfully argue to the American people that the two seats are to balance GOP hypocrisy with Garland and Barrett. Any more than that just looks like a power grab.

In fact, I'd argue they should make the number of seats 11 and propose a Constitutional Amendment capping it there to prevent further funny business. Maybe throw in a clause that a SCOTUS nominee can't be denied an up and down vote?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #29752
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I don't think so. I think they can successfully argue to the American people that the two seats are to balance GOP hypocrisy with Garland and Barrett. Any more than that just looks like a power grab.

In fact, I'd argue they should make the number of seats 11 and propose a Constitutional Amendment capping it there to prevent further funny business. Maybe throw in a clause that a SCOTUS nominee can't be denied an up and down vote?

You'd have to do something about funny business getting them out of committee, too.

Also, wasn't it when FDR proposed packing the courts that some of his wild popularity started to wane (though that may have corresponded with fatigue around the Depression or just because he got stymied in Congress not necessarily with the public, at large)?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:24 PM   #29753
kingfc22
Head Coach

Yes. If they keep the house and win the Senate and WH, they need to do everything the R’s would and have done in recent years. And then pass legislation preventing those same shenanigans moving forward.

Hypocritical. You bet it is but that’s the game the R’s under McConnell have been playing and the rules they have laid out to follow.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #29754
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
You'd have to do something about funny business getting them out of committee, too.

Also, wasn't it when FDR proposed packing the courts that some of his wild popularity started to wane (though that may have corresponded with fatigue around the Depression or just because he got stymied in Congress not necessarily with the public, at large)?

SI

I think if there was an up and down requirement, that would by definition guarantee they get out of committee.

The Dems took some heavy hits in the 1938 midterm elections after the court packing plan was defeated, but FDR did end up winning two more presidential elections.

The difference is that FDR was packing the court because it was ruling against his legislative proposals. Also, he was trying to increase from 9 to 15. This is why I think the Dems should avoid going for more than 11, because at 11 they can at least directly tie the 2 seats to the Republican hypocrisy on Garland and Barrett.

Old 10-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #29755
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

My problem with two is that some Dems are going to demand less than what was proposed. Demand four, settle for two.

And I'm not sure how much of the 1938 election you can pin on the court plan. There was a nasty drop in the economy that certainly impacted more people.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:36 PM   #29756
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:54 PM   #29757
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

https://twitter.com/mtsw/status/1315...698481665?s=19

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #29758
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
My problem with two is that some Dems are going to demand less than what was proposed. Demand four, settle for two.

And I'm not sure how much of the 1938 election you can pin on the court plan. There was a nasty drop in the economy that certainly impacted more people.

There's no "less than 2" that makes sense. No one is going to argue for an even number of 10 justices.

I fear if the Dems go for 4, they'll lose the public sentiment right away. This will cause reluctant Dems to drop support for any increase.

I guess I could perhaps see 4 working if they agreed to make it 2 now and 2 after next presidential election. But arguing for 4 right away will almost certainly backfire.

Old 10-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #29759
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421
I think they can successfully argue to the American people that the two seats are to balance GOP hypocrisy with Garland and Barrett. Any more than that just looks like a power grab.

I'm on board with this. I think two is where it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
If they keep the house and win the Senate and WH, they need to do everything the R’s would and have done in recent years. And then pass legislation preventing those same shenanigans moving forward.

Hypocritical. You bet it is but that’s the game the R’s under McConnell have been playing and the rules they have laid out to follow.

The problem with this is there's nothing to stop the escalation we've seen since at least the early 1980s from just continuing. Whatever legislation you want to put in place, the other party can just repeal it when they get back in power. At some point somebody has to be an adult and decide to put the brakes on the escalation for the long-term health of the Republic, or there's no end to it. It's obvious the Republicans have no intentions of doing that anytime in the forseeable future, which leaves only one party who can. This is why they are getting my vote this cycle.

If they don't govern responsibly, they won't get it again. I'll just go back to voting third party.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:12 PM   #29760
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

That person was Obama and the GOP said, "Fuck You!"

One side adhering to norms without holding the other to account only makes them more brazen. I don't want the Dems to do anything they can get away with, but I'm all in favor of them breaking norms in an effort to restore majority rule. In the long run, that is the only way to bleed off some of the extremism. As long as 40% can control the government, there isn't any electoral need to moderate policies.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #29761
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Republicans in the Senate under Obama continued the escalation in dealing with judicial nominees after it had been escalated by Democrats under Bush, which came after previous escalations, etc. This issue isn't about who the president is; it doesn't matter who the president is if the Senate doesn't behave itself. That's where the norms have to come into play if any semblance of responsible governmenet is to return.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:32 PM   #29762
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

What stops the GOP from doing what they are doing now if Dems are "responsible"? That's what happened with Obama. Dems went back to the blue slip rule and the GOP refused to accept any nominees from TX. Obama nominated the exact person they said would count as a moderate and they wouldn't even meet with him.

One side following norms while the other doesn't only encourages that side to break more and more norms, knowing there is no consequence.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:38 PM   #29763
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It's probably also worth pointing out again that it isn't 40%, it's never been 40%, that's just a false number. Trump had 46% of the vote in 2016 and over the last three elections comprising the current Senate, Republicans have gotten 52%, 42%, and 39% of the vote, which averages to 44%. In '18, they got 45% for the House (and lost it). If those numbers hold they'll lose the Senate and the Presidency and we'll have a unified Democratic government.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-11-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:44 PM   #29764
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
One side following norms while the other doesn't only encourages that side to break more and more norms, knowing there is no consequence.

I'm not saying Democrats should just follow norms. I'm for them breaking them by packing SCOTUS by two seats as a corrective. I'm also saying they are the only chance the country has right now to put responsible governance on the ballot. That means they need to not go too far with it, which was the point of my initial response to another poster.

I think the logic you are using bends the other way just as easily. I.e., if they take breaking norms too far, they are only encouraging the GOP to up the ante next time they are in power. And if national history is any guide, there will be another time and it won't be that long. A decade at most.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #29765
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'd go right now for a SCOTUS appointment every two years and term limits. That probably takes an amendment, though, so I don't see it happening.

If the GOP sees adding 2 justices as a reason to add more, fine. Each seat currently is too consequential, so a 99 person court is fine with me.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:15 PM   #29766
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Bet online one of the big offshore books just moved the line to Biden -220/ Trump +180.

Last edited by Lathum : 10-11-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:56 PM   #29767
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

If Clinton Wins, Republicans Suggest Shrinking Size of Supreme Court : NPR

wild huh
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:41 PM   #29768
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

And still they see no hypocrisy
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:45 PM   #29769
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

You are asking people with no shame to have shame.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #29770
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Bet online one of the big offshore books just moved the line to Biden -220/ Trump +180.

Not a gambler can you translate for us dumb asses that don’t know what that means? Is this good for Biden or is he losing according to this.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:09 PM   #29771
PilotMan
Head Coach

-220 means that you'd have to bet $220 to win $100

+180 means that if you bet $100 and win it pays out $180 (+150 would be 3:2 odds by horse standards).

This type of line signifies a clear cut favorite, but not one so far ahead that it couldn't swing the other way.

Anything closing in on -400 (as in you have to bet $400 to win $100; or 1:4 odds with horse racing and such) and lower people are basically saying that yeah, that other guy doesn't stand much of a chance.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #29772
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
-220 means that you'd have to bet $220 to win $100

+180 means that if you bet $100 and win it pays out $180 (+150 would be 3:2 odds by horse standards).

This type of line signifies a clear cut favorite, but not one so far ahead that it couldn't swing the other way.

Anything closing in on -400 (as in you have to bet $400 to win $100; or 1:4 odds with horse racing and such) and lower people are basically saying that yeah, that other guy doesn't stand much of a chance.

Thanks Pilotman!
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:17 PM   #29773
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

If you want some free money right now, you can bet $1,245.28 on Biden at -165 and bet $687.29 on Trump at +191, and you’ll pocket $67.43 regardless of who wins the election.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #29774
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

He is crazy unhinged this fine morning
Old 10-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #29775
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
If you want some free money right now, you can bet $1,245.28 on Biden at -165 and bet $687.29 on Trump at +191, and you’ll pocket $67.43 regardless of who wins the election.

I will not abide this Jo Jorgensen slander.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:23 AM   #29776
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
He is crazy unhinged this fine morning

The ACB hearings should be some generally good press for his campaign. If he stayed quiet, the news narrative would basically remind his base about the importance of judges with a hint of "crazy Dems might pack the Court!"

This is the perfect week for him to go radio silent and let the news cycle help him out.

But he can't stand to not be the center of things even when it is good for him.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:06 AM   #29777
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

From the "seeing consequences from this Administration's pettiness" department:

Apparently there was an Executive Order last month to halt any sensitivity training in the government. It had this doublespeak title of "Executive Order on Combating Race and Sex Stereotyping" :
Executive Order on Combating Race and Sex Stereotyping | The White House

One of my family members who works for a government institution received an email this week that they had to get rid of the following at their workplace (pending review by the legal department):
  • Removed any racial sensitivity training (and this person had a scheduled class cancelled "until further notice")
  • Removed Tweets talking about racial diversity
  • Removed any past newsletters about diversity
  • Removed resource links for things like Hispanic Heritage month, Black Lives Matter, and disability awareness
SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-12-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #29778
BYU 14
Coordinator

In what should come as absolutely no surprise technical issues with the polls in Fulton County Georgia. How many times have we been down this road in that state?
Old 10-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #29779
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
In what should come as absolutely no surprise technical issues with the polls in Fulton County Georgia. How many times have we been down this road in that state?

too many.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #29780
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
From the "seeing consequences from this Administration's pettiness" department:

Apparently there was an Executive Order last month to halt any sensitivity training in the government. It had this doublespeak title of "Executive Order on Combating Race and Sex Stereotyping" :
Executive Order on Combating Race and Sex Stereotyping | The White House

One of my family members who works for a government institution received an email this week that they had to get rid of the following at their workplace (pending review by the legal department):
  • Removed any racial sensitivity training (and this person had a scheduled class cancelled "until further notice")
  • Removed Tweets talking about racial diversity
  • Removed any past newsletters about diversity
  • Removed resource links for things like Hispanic Heritage month, Black Lives Matter, and disability awareness
SI

That was not reported nearly enough if it slipped past you, considering how damned obviously backwards that is. It's classic strawman (might not be the right term here) to frame sth identifying and avoiding discrimination as "stereotyping". We are all happy little bunches of atoms to be treated equally so long as we don't insist on being different.

Part of a broader attack as well (see that bill by Cotton for example or Trumps speeches over the summer), trying to create a narrative that racism wouldn't be an issue if people would only stop talking about it or studying it.

Good thing is it will only last a few months hopefully, bad news it is emboldens those in power at institutions to not only make that particular call themselves going forward but also in a host of other areas.

It's basically censorship, too.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #29781
miked
College Starter

Quote:

I'm sure there are no issues in Gilmer, Fannin, and the other non-urban counties.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #29782
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
That was not reported nearly enough if it slipped past you, considering how damned obviously backwards that is. It's classic strawman (might not be the right term here) to frame sth identifying and avoiding discrimination as "stereotyping". We are all happy little bunches of atoms to be treated equally so long as we don't insist on being different.

Part of a broader attack as well (see that bill by Cotton for example or Trumps speeches over the summer), trying to create a narrative that racism wouldn't be an issue if people would only stop talking about it or studying it.

Good thing is it will only last a few months hopefully, bad news it is emboldens those in power at institutions to not only make that particular call themselves going forward but also in a host of other areas.

It's basically censorship, too.

Proclamation on Columbus Day, 2020 | The White House

His Columbus Day proclamation is similarly hateful. Stephen Miller must be really proud of himself for that one.

SI

Old 10-12-2020, 01:22 PM   #29783
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Proclamation on Columbus Day, 2020 | The White House

His Columbus Day proclamation is similarly hateful. Stephen Miller must be really proud of himself for that one.

SI

Of course he is. he wrote and Trump never got past the first paragraph reading it.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:08 PM   #29784
RainMaker
General Manager

5 hour waits in "some" communities in Georgia to vote today.

Last edited by RainMaker : 10-12-2020 at 04:09 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #29785
RainMaker
General Manager

lol

Old 10-12-2020, 05:06 PM   #29786
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
lol

Jesus Christ, apparently Webster's is soliciting more definition examples of hypocrisy.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #29787
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Given that the abortion doctor never does the research, I guess fetal tissue research is okay now.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:14 PM   #29788
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The best part (which we'll never know) will be if it turns out that it was actually an abortion that Trump demanded after getting someone pregnant.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:16 PM   #29789
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Given that the abortion doctor never does the research, I guess fetal tissue research is okay now.

I have a feeling it will be bad again real soon.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #29790
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I have a feeling it will be bad again real soon.

But, wait, that would be hypocrisy!
Old 10-12-2020, 05:33 PM   #29791
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
How they are registered to vote, not how they voted. In some states you register for a party, so you can vote in closed primaries (primaries only open to those declared "Democrat" or "Republican").
In some states (NC and SC among them...didn't check when I lived in Georgia,) you can see if they voted in a primary, and if so, which one.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:05 PM   #29792
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

The President Of The United States of America

Old 10-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #29793
Atocep
Coordinator

About halfway through I thought there was about a 50% chance he was going to mention pussy grabbing.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #29794
spleen1015
Coordinator

I don't even know what to say. SMH.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:24 PM   #29795
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

He sounds like a drunkard trying to relive his days as the guy who peaked in high school
Old 10-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #29796
tarcone
Coordinator

I refer back to what someone posted earlier in one of the political threads "Remember, when a candidate lost because if a scream?"

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:53 PM   #29797
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

He loves the rallies.

He's not really trying to win anymore. He's just gonna go on a tour around the country getting adulation.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:57 PM   #29798
BYU 14
Coordinator

He will be the first President in history who continues to hold rallies after he is defeated.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:02 PM   #29799
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He will be the first President in history who continues to hold rallies after he is defeated.

I had never thought about this. But you may be right.

SI

Old 10-12-2020, 10:15 PM   #29800
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

Or Trump rallies Big Corporations, Big Pharma, Big guns, and Big insurance and becomes Chairman of the Board for the USA Corporation and they strangle the country and Trump rallies his base and they cut off the cities, and shit hits the fan?

Thats a scary scenario,

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote