Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-14-2020, 07:46 PM   #29851
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That 'Hunter Biden's laptop' story was/is falling apart comically mere hours after being reported. It's still like the top 12 stories on FoxNews.com of course.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/man-wh...arre-interview
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 10-14-2020 at 07:56 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:19 PM   #29852
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Post is the trashy outlet that Fox uses to test run and break stories while trying to maintain the high ground for journalism (as much as that exists at Fox.)

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #29853
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

The Real Origins of the Religious Right - POLITICO Magazine

This is a really interesting article. SOme stuff in there on a timeline even before I was politically aware. Where I grew up, Carter was nothing but a punchline to a joke, southerners were totally made fun of. Especially building steam for the Reagan era.

And this was BFE Indiana
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:28 PM   #29854
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
That 'Hunter Biden's laptop' story was/is falling apart comically mere hours after being reported. It's still like the top 12 stories on FoxNews.com of course.

Attention Required! | Cloudflare

I paid good money for Russian disinformation...

and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:53 PM   #29855
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I paid good money for Russian disinformation...

and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.

You didn't dial Yakov Smirnov's 1-900 Russian Joke-a-day number did you?
Old 10-14-2020, 10:06 PM   #29856
thesloppy
Pro Starter

"Mac Isaac said he had a medical condition that prevented him from actually seeing who dropped off the laptop but that he believed it to be Hunter Biden’s because of a sticker related to the Beau Biden Foundation that was on it."
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 10-14-2020 at 10:29 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:27 PM   #29857
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

But Fox News loves them this story - all over the front page.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:54 PM   #29858
Drake
assmaster

So here's my only thought on this Hunter Biden e-mail deep fake or whatever this is:

I see lots of commentators clutching their pearls about Facebook and Twitter banning accounts or fact-checking/suppressing this story.

And I'm like this: if it's okay to make naked displays of raw power on your side (i.e., ramming your Supreme Court justice through), then you also have to allow that it's okay for the other side to do the same. If the liberals control the media and the big tech companies you've come to rely on, that's *your* problem. You put all of your eggs in the political basket and ignored the cultural/tech/media baskets.

If it's okay for conservative business owners to say conservative things or hold conservative positions in their business models and get a pass (lookin' at you, Chik-fil-A), then it's okay for liberal companies and business owners to apply their positions to their business models.

It's like none of these people have ever gone for a Cultural victory in Civ, for fuck's sake.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:35 AM   #29859
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

another email story...hard pass...
Old 10-15-2020, 05:17 AM   #29860
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Mitch McConnell Laughs When Confronted On Senate Inaction Over Coronavirus | HuffPost

I expected his lizard tongue to come zipping out
Old 10-15-2020, 05:31 AM   #29861
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
You didn't dial Yakov Smirnov's 1-900 Russian Joke-a-day number did you?
In Soviet Russia, the emails find you.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:33 AM   #29862
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I guess I am to the point where I am just grasping for silver linings after four years of this. But thanks to Trump being so repulsive and so anti-immigration, support for increasing legal immigration is the highest it has been since Gallup started recording. And, for the first time ever, it is higher than support for decreasing legal immigration.

Leave aside the debate over the cultural impact of increased immigration. (I think that more heterogeneity is great and should be encouraged. But I understand that it a hot button issue for a lot of people).

The economic impact of massively increased immigration is an unalloyed good and could lead to another century of American dominance. Simply put. We. Are. Not. Having. Enough. Babies. In a generation, we will not have enough working age people to support all of us in retirement. GDP will shrivel. Other than climate change, it is the biggest problem facing us that no one want to do anything about. Massive immigration would solve it. Congress could pass one law that would do more to grow the economy than anything else they could do. But they haven't been able to because of all of the "They'll take your job" rhetoric out there confusing people. Now, maybe, hopefully, Trump has poisoned the anti-immigrant position so much that we have a chance of actually doing some real good here.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1660/immigration.aspx

See also Open Borders: The Science and Ethics of Immigration by Bryan Caplan

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 10-15-2020 at 06:33 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:43 AM   #29863
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
In Soviet Russia, the emails find you.

Thank you
Old 10-15-2020, 08:20 AM   #29864
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The speed with which this insane conspiracy about Seal Team 6 and Osama bin Laden has planted roots among conservatives is shocking and deprssing.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:29 AM   #29865
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
The speed with which this insane conspiracy about Seal Team 6 and Osama bin Laden has planted roots among conservatives is shocking and deprssing.

QAnon is an abhorrent wart on the ass of America, but even worse are the idiots that buy a word they say. I hope the source of this trash is identified and rooted out at some point.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:38 AM   #29866
PilotMan
Head Coach

If you want a glimpse into the world of Q and how it hits families, I've been lurking at r/QAnonCasualties. You can get a feel for just how people are being sucked in and families pulverized. It's disheartening, but the support that people have there is very good. This ties in with the fear and longing for a powerful leader article that I posted earlier. This is a very real subset of our society. This isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. It very well could consume the R party and all right leaning media.

Like Steam?

Old 10-15-2020, 09:22 AM   #29867
PilotMan
Head Coach

Nailed it

Like Steam?

Old 10-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #29868
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
If you want a glimpse into the world of Q and how it hits families, I've been lurking at r/QAnonCasualties. You can get a feel for just how people are being sucked in and families pulverized. It's disheartening, but the support that people have there is very good. This ties in with the fear and longing for a powerful leader article that I posted earlier. This is a very real subset of our society. This isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. It very well could consume the R party and all right leaning media.

That is a sad indictment on the ability of so many people in this society to be independent thinkers and apply simple logic and common sense. It is like Jonestown on a national scale.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:26 AM   #29869
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Sounds like Fascism to me.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:33 AM   #29870
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

https://marker.medium.com/forget-shu...y-3062e94c122e

In what should be a surprise to no one who has been paying attention, a bunch of MAGA governors waving their magic wand and declaring their economy "OPEN" didn't do shit.

The economy is crumbling because there's a contagious virus out there that gives people "COVID fog" even if they manage to not die from it, so a bunch of people are rightly choosing not to engage in behaviors that make them more likely to catch it.

Unless and until we get the virus under control, the economy will remain hobbled.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:15 AM   #29871
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I saw yesterday some polling where 70% of people said they were uncomfortable going to movies or using public transportation and 60% said the same about malls and restaurants.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:18 AM   #29872
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

At least the government will support public transportation. Malls, restaurants, theaters - there is going to be some big closures and changes. Things had been trending away from indoor malls to outdoor ones - that may accelerate.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #29873
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
That is a sad indictment on the ability of so many people in this society to be independent thinkers and apply simple logic and common sense. It is like Jonestown on a national scale.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #29874
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Donald Trump Says China Will Pay for Stimulus Bill: 'They're the Ones That Caused This Problem'

I'm sure they'll pay right after Mexico pays for the wall.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 10-15-2020 at 10:39 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #29875
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

When nothing else works keep playing the hits.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:38 PM   #29876
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Ain't no one going to a Trump rally to hear shit off his new album.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:53 PM   #29877
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Ain't no one going to a Trump rally to hear shit off his new album.

Well, he's got a new album to promote, but no new songs yet. But two weeks from now, he's gonna blow your socks off with the greatest song you've ever heard.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #29878
Ksyrup

I'm confused - Trump went out of his way to secure a national TV audience opposite Biden to humiliate him, and now he's back to playing victim about a town hall he asked for and got? Is he having second thoughts about his ability to out-draw Biden? Or did he find out they rejected the campaign's insistence to allow them to choose who sits in the audience?

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #29879
Ksyrup

Also - Sleepy Eyes? Really? That's the best he's got now?
Old 10-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #29880
Ksyrup

He is literally so stupid he doesn't know when to shut up. There are legit questions about the death of Reinoehl and President Moron says this out loud.

Old 10-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #29881
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

There's going to be a huge commercial real estate bust, or, rather, an acceleration of what was already going on. The economy 10 years from now is going to look totally different than it does now in many dimensions - there are going to be far fewer competitors in the few sectors that hadn't already consolidated into monopolies/oligopolies since the 80s. Consumers are going to be totally screwed but it's going to take a while to notice.

Then again, I'm not sure what the economy next year looks like. I'm still a bit concerned with the prediction I saw back in March or April: "The economy is already dead - we just don't know it yet"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #29882
Atocep
Coordinator

It's an incredible time we live in when Barr isn't corrupt enough and is likely out the door if Trump gets a 2nd term.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #29883
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm sure that trump will be super excited to hear this:

Rupert Murdoch Predicts a Landslide Win for Biden

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 10-15-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:43 PM   #29884
molson
General Manager

Somehow my state government has a record surplus, 10 times what was projected before COVID.

I'm sure it won't look as good next fiscal year. And there's certainly been a lot of businesses which have closed forever. But others have adapted (we have new pedestrian-only areas with outdoor dining downtown that they're going to make permanent), real estate in the urban parts of the state is booming, population is increasing, unemployment is back to pre-COVID levels.

We still have restrictions in Boise and most everyone wears masks, though they're rare in the rural parts of the state. New COVID cases are about at their peak (so far), but deaths and hospitalizations are low.

I guess in a state like this we didn't have a lot of regular tourism to lose, or a lot of big events to cancel. Meanwhile tourism from neighboring states to rural areas and small towns here seems to have gone up this year, as people are taking more road trips. Yellowstone just had its biggest September ever. Places like McCall and Sun Valley in Idaho had huge summers too, and it was impossible to find a campground or cabin the state and national parks.

Last edited by molson : 10-15-2020 at 02:47 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #29885
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm confused - Trump went out of his way to secure a national TV audience opposite Biden to humiliate him, and now he's back to playing victim about a town hall he asked for and got? Is he having second thoughts about his ability to out-draw Biden? Or did he find out they rejected the campaign's insistence to allow them to choose who sits in the audience?

He's guaranteed to have a bigger audience. Biden is on ABC and ABC streaming while Trump is on NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, and all those streaming options. Trump's just permanently aggrieved.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #29886
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I saw a prediction from one of the big financial companies that business travel will be back to pre-COVID levels...

in 2024.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:41 PM   #29887
Ksyrup

When big companies have to cut back, travel is always first on the chopping block. And that's not even factoring in a possible ongoing health situation as a reason not to travel.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-15-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:01 PM   #29888
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
When big companies have to cut back, travel is always first on the chopping block. And that's not even factoring in a possible ongoing health situation as a reason not to travel.

My wifes company is booming and they still have not only cut all travel, but also are organizing to go to a work from anywhere model and will save millions on real estate.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:33 PM   #29889
bronconick
College Starter

MSNBC is showing it. TV guide is telling me that Shark Tank is on CNBC
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:35 PM   #29890
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I wonder if Trump expected to hand-pick the audience and NBC insisted on having at least a few undecided/Dem voter ask questions. That might be why he's calling it a set-up.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #29891
Ksyrup

That's what I was thinking. He moved so quick on it that the details were just being ironed out today.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #29892
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I saw a prediction from one of the big financial companies that business travel will be back to pre-COVID levels...

in 2024.

My company is planning for 2023 right now.

Like Steam?

Old 10-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #29893
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Did Christie die yet?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #29894
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
MSNBC is showing it. TV guide is telling me that Shark Tank is on CNBC

Things might have changed. What I posted was the deal from yesterday.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:09 PM   #29895
Ksyrup

When I worked at AIG, I was ahead on the work from home model. I would not move for the job so I lived an hour away and worked from home 3-4 days a week. When Superstorm Sandy hit NYC, AIG learned quickly about remote work. Then they scaled back their real estate leases in Manhattan and had people hotelling in the remaining office space. Many companies are basically going through the same forced realization of savings thanks to Covid. I ended taking a job in downtown Louisville (same drive as AIG which was across the river in Indiana) and I'm doing the same thing here as well.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #29896
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, maybe Trump was right - he set himself up on this Town Hall.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2020, 08:08 PM   #29897
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Man, the first time he gets a tough question he completely talks down to the female moderator.

Last edited by Lathum : 10-15-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:08 PM   #29898
kingfc22
Head Coach

This exchange was all I need for tonight’s belly laugh.

Guthrie then asked Trump why he had retweeted this week a random Twitter user who suggested an unfounded conspiracy that former president Barack Obama and Biden had killed the Navy SEAL team that had killed Osama bin Laden to cover up the fact that it had actually killed a body double.
“I know nothing about it,” Trump said. “That was a retweet. That was an opinion from somebody. I’ll put it out there — people can decide.”
“I don’t get that,” Guthrie replied. “You’re the president, not somebody’s crazy uncle."
Old 10-15-2020, 08:12 PM   #29899
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
There's going to be a huge commercial real estate bust, or, rather, an acceleration of what was already going on. The economy 10 years from now is going to look totally different than it does now in many dimensions - there are going to be far fewer competitors in the few sectors that hadn't already consolidated into monopolies/oligopolies since the 80s. Consumers are going to be totally screwed but it's going to take a while to notice.

Then again, I'm not sure what the economy next year looks like. I'm still a bit concerned with the prediction I saw back in March or April: "The economy is already dead - we just don't know it yet"

SI
But is the economy dead, or is the economy as we knew it dead... - there's definitely a lot of real negative effects, but I think it's also greatly accelerated trends towards work from home/telecommuting as companies that are still by & large run by an older generation are forced to do it & realize oh shoot it's actually not that bad, and even has some benefits!

Definitely would not want to own downtown commercial real estate in major cities, though I think there is an opening there to branch out to whoever jumps on it first. Turn commercial real estate towers in to residential in cities like Boston/NY/SF? Turn low rise development into green space (or better transportation?) COVID is going away, there will always be a market where people want to live in a walkable neighborhood and that was priced out in the bigger cities the last 20-30 years, I wonder if that comes back & you start to see in a Boston where younger/single people live in the city, older people/families live in the suburbs, but even the whitest collar jobs migrate more to the 95 corridor.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #29900
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think the fact that the unemployment rate has gone down five consecutive months and is better now than a lot of predictions thought it would be by the end of 2021 is significant there. We'll see what the winter holds but I think economically we've done much better than I expected.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote