Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #30451
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Trump supporters showed up to William Barr's house to protest the fact that he hasn't locked up Joe Biden yet.

We're nearly guaranteed to see serious violence if Trump loses and Trump is going to stoke that violence as much as he can. It's going to be interesting to see how the rest of the GOP in Washington handles it.

We've already seen serious violence, and we've seen a potential kidnapping of government official.

My only hope is God takes Trump on election day when he has a meltdown that he's going to lose, finds out he cannot steal the election and the incoming bills for his debt come to roost.

I do think that if he does lose, he'll destroy everything in the next three months. He'll then go on a rally circuit to create disruption and foment insurrection. Then he'll have to be taken down by the gub'ment.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #30452
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep
We're nearly guaranteed to see serious violence if Trump loses

Based on what? I think they'll whine and complain a lot, which is pretty much par for the course. You'll have isolated incidents, probably some protests but this strikes me as just like all the predictions that Trump was going to start a nuclear war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
We've already seen serious violence, and we've seen a potential kidnapping of government official.

What serious violence? People make plots against government officials all the time. A lot of the time it barely makes the news. At the end of Obama's term as just one example. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ooting-n577701. Reagan was shot, there's been incidents at the White House or similar for every president of my lifetime so far as I know.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-01-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #30453
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Based on what? I think they'll whine and complain a lot, which is pretty much par for the course. You'll have isolated incidents, probably some protests but this strikes me as just like all the predictions that Trump was going to start a nuclear war.

Just this weekend we had Trump supporters try to run a Presidential campaign bus off the road after stalking them across the country. When was the last time a campaign shut down multiple events out of fear of escalating violence from the other side?

The most partisan AG I can remember is being protested by his president's supporters for not being partisan enough.

Hundreds of Trump supporters shut down traffic in New Jersey.

That's just this weekend and Trump and his family are cheering it on. Do you think it's going to get better after an election loss that Trump said is only possible if the Dems cheat and that 80% of Replicans believe he's going to win?

Our own government says right wing domestic terror is the biggest threat to our country and I don't think that's going to go away once they see an illegitimate president that's going to cancel Christmas, turn us into a communist country, and ban Christianity take over.

You can drive fear and partisanship as much as the GOP has been going for the past decade plus and have people just shrug when the things they fear start to become reality in their mind.

Edit: also see the election thread where KSyrup posted about Trump planning to claim victory on Tuesday night.

Last edited by Atocep : 11-01-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #30454
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
When was the last time a campaign shut down multiple events out of fear of escalating violence from the other side?

They attempted to stop the bus, which was a terrible and wrong action. I hope they are arrested and prosecuted for it. It was not violence. You can't have escalating violence until you have actual violence acts to begin with. The reporting I've seen mentions only one event being canceled (in Austin).

Quote:
The most partisan AG I can remember is being protested by his president's supporters for not being partisan enough.

A protest is not violence.

Quote:
Hundreds of Trump supporters shut down traffic in New Jersey.

Also not violence. We're now into 'protest, but not that way' territory here.

Quote:
Do you think it's going to get better after an election loss that Trump said is only possible if the Dems cheat and that 80% of Replicans believe he's going to win?

No. Irresponsible people do irresponsible things regularly after elections. I expect the modern pattern of that escalation to continue. I don't think we're going to have any violence that will even be noticeable as compared to the background, typical levels of violence in the country. There's no indication at all of that happening.

Quote:
also see the election thread where KSyrup posted about Trump planning to claim victory on Tuesday night.

Yet another in the nope-this isn't violence category.

Quote:
You can drive fear and partisanship as much as the GOP has been going for the past decade plus and have people just shrug when the things they fear start to become reality in their mind.

You mean like say, the fear of a second Trump term regularly exemplified on this board (and elsewhere to greater degrees?) I'm full-on against fearmongering but there's lots of blame to go around on that front.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-01-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #30455
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Trump supporters showed up to William Barr's house to protest the fact that he hasn't locked up Joe Biden yet.

We're nearly guaranteed to see serious violence if Trump loses and Trump is going to stoke that violence as much as he can. It's going to be interesting to see how the rest of the GOP in Washington handles it.

He came out and took photos with the fascists.

Attorney General Bill Barr Meets With Radical Right-Wing Activist Dave Daubenmire | Right Wing Watch
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #30456
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
They attempted to stop the bus, which was a terrible and wrong action. I hope they are arrested and prosecuted for it. It was not violence. You can't have escalating violence until you have actual violence acts to begin with. The reporting I've seen mentions only one event being canceled (in Austin).

Also not violence. We're now into 'protest, but not that way' territory here.

No. Irresponsible people do irresponsible things regularly after elections. I expect the modern pattern of that escalation to continue. I don't think we're going to have any violence that will even be noticeable as compared to the background, typical levels of violence in the country. There's no indication at all of that happening.

Yet another in the nope-this isn't violence category.

You mean like say, the fear of a second Trump term regularly exemplified on this board (and elsewhere to greater degrees?) I'm full-on against fearmongering but there's lots of blame to go around on that front.

I'd argue with you further but I just can't dumb it down to your level of ignorance.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:34 PM   #30457
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's interesting (sad) to me that we have video with license plates clearly visible and yet no arrests have been made currently. The FBI is "investigating" (FBI investigating 'Trump Train' swarming of Biden bus in Texas)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #30458
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Events were canceled in Austin and Pflugerville.

And I'd say ramming another vehicle on a highway is violence. YMMV

Quote:

No but they can be precursors to violence. My general point is the amount of anger his supporters are showing heading into an election they expect to win, a president and his family continually praising violence, along with the fear that's been stoked for over a decade is a recipe for violence.

Quote:

This is bothsidesism at its best. One side spends over a decade telling its supportors the Mexicans are coming to rape our daughters, the Dems want to take away your religion, the Muslims are taking over our government, and the Dems want to turn us into a communist state, but fearmongering a Trump 2nd term is equally bad.

Last edited by Atocep : 11-01-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:24 PM   #30459
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This is bothsidesism at its best. One side spends over a decade telling its supportors the Mexicans are coming to rape our daughters, the Dems want to take away your religion, the Muslims are taking over our government, and the Dems want to turn us into a communist state, but fearmongering a Trump 2nd term is equally bad.

On the contrary, I wouldn't say - and didn't say - both sides are equally bad, but your statement here is a transparently gross distortion of what one side has actually said. As long as we are dealing in hyperbolic exaggerations, it's not possible to come to a rational and realistic assessment.

One can be against something that both sides do extensively while not at the same time saying they both do it in the same exact ways to the same exact degrees. That isn't bothsidesism; it's a refusal to engage in distortionism regardless of how popular it is to do so.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-01-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #30460
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I think there is a fair chance there will be sporadic violence if Trump loses but agree that it won't be as bad as many here think. I also think there is a fair chance there will be sporadic violence if Biden loses.

It comes down to Trump losing by how much. Worse case is another "hanging chad" situation. But looks like Biden is going to be a clear cut winner so violence will be sporadic. If Trump sneaks by or wins by a fair amount (surprise, surprise) another series of peaceful-like BLM protests and unpeaceful-like BLM (e.g. Portland etc.) protests will likely happen.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #30461
PilotMan
Head Coach

Any violence will be cast aside as a mentally disturbed individual and whatever ties look like they are tied to anything trump related will be quickly severed, and whoever the individual is will be left to hang on their own. Of course, that still won't stop them.

People who do act in this way are essentially ISIS martyrs, willing to take the fall for what they believe in, and they are sure that they will be 'protected' in the end.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #30462
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #30463
kingfc22
Head Coach

God let this be a blowout. Please
Old 11-01-2020, 07:24 PM   #30464
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Whether it works or not, it's another seal removed from doors keeping us separated from tyranny.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:58 PM   #30465
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
On the contrary, I wouldn't say - and didn't say - both sides are equally bad, but your statement here is a transparently gross distortion of what one side has actually said. As long as we are dealing in hyperbolic exaggerations, it's not possible to come to a rational and realistic assessment.

One can be against something that both sides do extensively while not at the same time saying they both do it in the same exact ways to the same exact degrees. That isn't bothsidesism; it's a refusal to engage in distortionism regardless of how popular it is to do so.

The President just applauded supporters who rammed a car and tried to drive a bus off the road. He is a fascist who has advocated for violence numerous times and had his supporters respond.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #30466
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Driving a car off the road is violence, and the president applauding it is fascist. There is no equivocation.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:37 PM   #30467
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think any of those words mean what you think they mean.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:53 PM   #30468
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I don't think any of those words mean what you think they mean.

I really don't see how you can watch the video of what those people did to the bus and think it is anything other than violence. If I waive a gun in your face but don't shoot you it is still a violent action.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:53 PM   #30469
GrantDawg

Violence: behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something. As in, driving a car of the road which injured someone in the car.
Fascism :a political movement that employs the principles and methods of fascism, such as using violence try to silence an opponent.
I am pretty comfortable in my knowledge in understanding those words. I seriously doubt your ability.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2020, 08:54 PM   #30470
stevew
Hall Of Famer

but is that the webster's dictionary definition or is it the urban dictionary one?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #30471
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Literally being on a bus that's being driven off the road would easily be a top 3 most terrifying life moment for most of us. but, hey, both sides are evil and that's not violent.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #30472
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
but is that the webster's dictionary definition or is it the urban dictionary one?

Where is Edward!
Old 11-01-2020, 08:58 PM   #30473
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Where is Edward!

Reading up on Hasidic jews to better understand why they are prejudiced against.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #30474
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Literally being on a bus that's being driven off the road would easily be a top 3 most terrifying life moment for most of us. but, hey, both sides are evil and that's not violent.

+1000000
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #30475
PilotMan
Head Coach

I would have figured a guy like you would already have plenty of sources on that.

Like Steam?

Old 11-01-2020, 10:21 PM   #30476
Butter
Coordinator

Naw man, we're all just hysterical idiots and Brian Swartz is the intellectual who can truly see the evil in both sides
Old 11-02-2020, 05:34 AM   #30477
GrantDawg

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:50 AM   #30478
whomario
Pro Starter

Trump & the Coronavirus: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO) - YouTube

starting about 17.15 is the quintessential Trump Moment. Presumably a doctor tells him about PTSD in colleagues seeing a lot more death in a shorter time than even they are used to --> "yeah, lot of dead. And BTW,while we are at it, will you pass these pens around, okay ?"

You got this man coming into the presidents office gathering his courage to bring up to the president (who he knows is not exactly keen on hearing about "the bad stuff") the suffering of his colleagues and ... He's fucking giving him a pen for his troubles to remind him of the awesome day he got to meet the president.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-02-2020 at 07:04 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:29 AM   #30479
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

In somewhat of a surprise, The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, which hasn't endorsed a republican candidate for President since 1972, just endorsed Trump.

"Mr. Biden is too old for the job, and fragile. There is a very real chance he will not make it through the term. Mr. Trump is also too old but seemingly robust. But in Mike Pence, Mr. Trump has a vice president ready to take over, if need be. He is a safe pair of hands. Sen. Kamala Harris gives no evidence of being ready to be president.

This newspaper has not supported a Republican for president since 1972. But we believe Mr. Trump, for all his faults, is the better choice this year. We respect and understand those who feel otherwise. We wish that we could be more enthusiastic and we hope the president can become more dignified and statesmanlike. Each American must make up his or her own mind and do what he or she thinks is best for the community and the republic. Vote your conscience. And, whatever happens, believe in the country."

The Man And The Record
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:36 AM   #30480
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
I really don't see how you can watch the video of what those people did to the bus and think it is anything other than violence. If I waive a gun in your face but don't shoot you it is still a violent action.

No it isn't. It's still a criminal action, but it's not violent. Violence involves harm, not just intimidation. This is why we have laws not just for vehicular manslaughter and the like, but also ones for reckless driving, endangerment, etc; because there's a difference. If the other vehicles had rammed into the bus, as opposed to attempting to force it off the road, that would have been a violent act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Violence: behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something. As in, driving a car of the road which injured someone in the car.
Fascism :a political movement that employs the principles and methods of fascism, such as using violence try to silence an opponent.
I am pretty comfortable in my knowledge in understanding those words. I seriously doubt your ability.

See above distinction between endangerment and violent acts, a distinction enshrined in our legal system for a very long time. All the reporting I've seen says nobody in the bus was injured. On fascism, a leader approving of violence is an element of fascism. There are many other elements of fascism as well. Embodying one element is the not the same as embodying all of them, and there are many forms of government which endorse violence and intimidation to achieve their desired ends. Ergo there is no such thing as a single act which can properly be described as fascist. And then we could also add equivocation, which I haven't seen anybody in the conversation do; that's using ambiguous language to conceal the truth of a situation. I think everyone here has been forthright about what they think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew

I've been driven off the road before. I wouldn't rank it this high, but it definitely was scary and not fun and it's not on my list of things to do again. Again, it's a horrible thing to do but not violent. Many actions are terrifying but don't involve violence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter
we're all just hysterical idiots and Brian Swartz is the intellectual who can truly see the evil in both sides

There's almost nobody on this board I consider an idiot. Why is it that we can't simply disagree without resorting to this kind of aburdist exagerration (to put it charitably)? What I see is a general pattern of emotional overreactions to excessively demonize people who I also detest, but don't wish to exaggerate the flaws of - they have plenty of legit ammunition given out freely without making it worse than it really is.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-02-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #30481
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, also known simply as the PG, is the largest newspaper serving metropolitan Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Descended from the Pittsburgh Gazette, established in 1786 as the first newspaper published west of the Allegheny Mountains, the paper has existed under its present title since 1927.

It ended daily print publication in 2018 and currently puts out print editions only three days a week, going online-only the rest of the week. In 2018, the editorial tone of the paper shifted from liberal to conservative after the editorial pages of the paper were consolidated with the The Blade of Toledo, Ohio. After the consolidation, Keith Burris, the pro-Trump editorial page editor of The Blade, directed the editorial pages of both papers.

Not surprising?
Old 11-02-2020, 07:42 AM   #30482
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dola - also fired a long-time political cartoonist who was critical of Trump (and replaced him with one who was conservative) and pulled a Black reporter from covering George Floyd.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:45 AM   #30483
wustin
College Prospect

The Pittsburgh Gazette are owned by the Block family who are strong trump supporters.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #30484
molson
General Manager

Quote:
No it isn't. It's still a criminal action, but it's not violent. Violence involves harm, not just intimidation.

Aggravated assault is 100% a violent crime (which pointing a loaded gun at someone is) by any legal and technical definition.

The FBI considers it as such, for example.

FBI — Aggravated Assault

" Attempted aggravated assault that involves the display of—or threat to use—a gun, knife, or other weapon is included in this crime category because serious personal injury would likely result if the assault were completed. "

So does the DOJ's Bureau of Justice Statistics

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=31

(Aggravated assault is a violent crime)

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=31#terms_def

(Description of aggravated assault)

In state and federal statutes that use "violent crime" as a category for some qualification (like prior violent crimes enhancing a sentence of a subsequent crime), aggravated assault it always a violent crime. I've personally described it as a violent crime in many criminal sentencing briefs.

There's usually two ways to commit assault - it's either an attempted battery, or a intentional threat of violence which actually creates well-founded fear. Both are violent crimes, all day.

Last edited by molson : 11-02-2020 at 08:40 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #30485
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks molson. I stand corrected on that point, although it's still quite strange because it doesn't actually fit the commonly used definition of violence.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-02-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:45 AM   #30486
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

SI

Old 11-02-2020, 08:53 AM   #30487
kingfc22
Head Coach

Seriously
Old 11-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #30488
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

"Driving people off the road is not violence" is the new "waterboarding is not torture".
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:56 AM   #30489
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I would say waterboarding is definitely torture, and not even among the milder forms of such. So no.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #30490
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Not surprising?

It is to me, The Blade used to be known as a pretty liberal paper. Though I can't say I've read it recently.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #30491
kingfc22
Head Coach

Did you not read what he posted

In 2018, the editorial tone of the paper shifted from liberal to conservative after the editorial pages of the paper were consolidated with the The Blade of Toledo, Ohio. After the consolidation, Keith Burris, the pro-Trump editorial page editor of The Blade, directed the editorial pages of both papers.”
Old 11-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #30492
QuikSand
lolzcat

we cut out the parts that don't advance our choice of narrative

we're going with "liberal bastion finally sees the light" try to keep up
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:02 AM   #30493
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
It is to me, The Blade used to be known as a pretty liberal paper. Though I can't say I've read it recently.

perhaps different Blade papers in various cities?
Old 11-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #30494
PilotMan
Head Coach

Meanwhile Blade had this to say:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-b1526077.html

Quote:
After being reminded that Trump was avoiding tax long before he was elected, Snipes replied: “This is not rocket science. It’s not what you know, it’s who you know.”

Like Steam?

Old 11-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #30495
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I just came here to make the Snipes or vampire reference but I see the job was already done.

SI

Old 11-02-2020, 11:17 AM   #30496
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
There's almost nobody on this board I consider an idiot. Why is it that we can't simply disagree without resorting to this kind of aburdist exagerration (to put it charitably)? What I see is a general pattern of emotional overreactions to excessively demonize people who I also detest, but don't wish to exaggerate the flaws of - they have plenty of legit ammunition given out freely without making it worse than it really is.

Why can't you admit trying to run someone off the road is violent? What ridiculous firewall exists within you that refuses that comparison?
Old 11-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #30497
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Why can't you admit trying to run someone off the road is violent? What ridiculous firewall exists within you that refuses that comparison?

Exactly. This is one of the most ludicrous attempts to parse something I've ever seen on this board, and there have been a LOT of attempts to parse words on this board.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #30498
QuikSand
lolzcat

Once you plant your flag, it's unbelievably hard to unplant it. This is not a new thing, it's a well documented (though poorly understood) psychological phenomenon, and it happens to all of us.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #30499
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter

You may wish to consider my post two and a half hours prior to this one, in which I said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me, earlier today
I stand corrected on that point, although it's still quite strange because it doesn't actually fit the commonly used definition of violence.

There are a number of things society doesn't consider violent which also involve threats of force not actual force itself. This leaves in a position where I don't understand what violence actually means in modern society, since we certainly aren't following the definition of the word. Nonetheless, I was clearly wrong; this situation must be considered an act of violence in light of molson's excellent points. The underlying point about how much violence is likely to occur post-election still stands.

More fundamentally even, people can simply have differences of perspective and opinion, including those that seem ridiculous to you, me, or the neighborhoood muse. None of these necessarily mean that someone is trying to play semantic games or aren't expressing themselves in good faith or are implying others are idiots. It just means they see a situation differently, and only that.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #30500
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Once you plant your flag, it's unbelievably hard to unplant it. This is not a new thing, it's a well documented (though poorly understood) psychological phenomenon, and it happens to all of us.

Perhaps, but from a poster who seems to demand absolute intellectual rigor from all, it seems an odd hill to die on. Even if he did try to take it back in a very weak manner.