Bernie 15-1
Crappy product 300-1

I'd say any of the top 4 are likely. And all blamed in the same tweet
Old 07-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #11452
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
This has to be the low point in crisis management and it's beyond sad it might not even have an effect:

Putin stood right next to him and said he wanted him to win.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #11453
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

FakeNews. The tv stations translated the speech incorrectly and wrote the wrong subtitles.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #11454
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Well all you lefties keep on saying that Putin can't be trusted. RGIHT!!

/pompous snark
Old 07-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #11455
RainMaker
General Manager

$12 billion in new welfare for farmers thanks to the tariffs. Would be cheaper just to get a real economist to convince him how dumb tariffs are.

‘Just be a little patient’: Trump pleads with farmers caught in tariffs war - The Washington Post
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:51 PM   #11456
bhlloy
Coordinator

I feel like one day I may wake up from this bizarro world where the Republican Party hasn’t become the party of protectionism and massive bailouts to support it.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:14 PM   #11457
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just remember: what you’re seeing and what you're reading is not what’s happening.

Trump today.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #11458
BYU 14
Coordinator

Alex to the rescue. Seriously, talk about bat shit crazy.

Alex Jones Threatens To Shoot Robert Mueller
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #11459
kingfc22
Head Coach

And now we’re deleting records of conversations to fit the narrative.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...script/565385/
Old 07-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #11460
Thomkal
Head Coach

CNN has a copy of Trump-Cohen tape discussing payment to buy the rights to Karen McDougal's story:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/24/polit...ape/index.html
Old 07-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #11461
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

This congress and the man presiding over it are both so suffocatingly inept and so blindingly deceitful that I simply cant fathom seeing a recovery in our lifetime. The nails are being hammered into place one by one, and they are being driven by the purest malice.

I'm sick for our children.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 07-24-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:56 PM   #11462
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile, the GOP gubernatorial runoff in Georgia results in a come from behind blowout victory for Trump-endorsed Sec. of State Kemp over previously heavy favorite Lt. Gov. Cagle.

It's going to end up somewhere around 2:1, if not 70-30. Kemp will carry 157 of the 159 counties, including Cagle's hometown.

Cagle's once double-digit lead evaporated after tapes of his conversation with another (failed) candidate were released by said failed candidate. Basically Cagle outright admitted on tape that he played politics with what he called "bad legislation" and helped it pass. That killed him with those who supported it AND killed him with those who opposed it. (It's legal to record a conversation here as long as one person involved in the recording is aware it's being done, so it was fair game)

The impact of the Trump endorsement was simply to provide the final nail, as the local media reports that the candidate's internal polling showed all undecideds following it over the past week.

Kemp, meanwhile, sent his kid to the same school mine went to ... and he's every bit if not more the intolerably unlikable ass that his opponent is.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-24-2018 at 09:57 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:33 PM   #11463
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

Trump was a guest on his show and said his "reputation was amazing".

I don't care about Jones and the political stuff. I think he's a sick man for what he's done to those poor parents who lost their children at Sandy Hook.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:24 AM   #11464
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
CNN has a copy of Trump-Cohen tape discussing payment to buy the rights to Karen McDougal's story:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/24/polit...ape/index.html

Didn't listen to the tape but read the article.

TBH, not sure what is incriminating about the tape? There may be other tapes that goes into greater detail or Mueller may have some sort of record of the payment/paper trail coming from campaign finances but this tape by itself doesn't really say much.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-25-2018 at 05:26 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:38 AM   #11465
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think he's a sick man for what he's done to those poor parents who lost their children at Sandy Hook.

Couldn't agree more. I hope their lawsuits are successful.

Alex Jones compares himself to Woodward, Bernstein in bid to dismiss Sandy Hook lawsuit - CBS News
Quote:
Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones argued he was acting as a journalist, comparing himself to the Washington Post reporters who uncovered the Watergate scandal, when he questioned the official narrative of the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting on his talk show. In written arguments filed Friday, the right-wing radio host moved to dismiss a defamation lawsuit filed by the families of some of the 26 people killed in the Connecticut shooting. Jones acknowledged that he had called the shooting a hoax, but said he now believes it happened.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #11466
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Didn't listen to the tape but read the article.

TBH, not sure what is incriminating about the tape? There may be other tapes that goes into greater detail or Mueller may have some sort of record of the payment/paper trail coming from campaign finances but this tape by itself doesn't really say much.

Imagine any other President getting caught on tape facilitating a hush money payment in possible violation of campaign finance laws. For most of our history this would have been a huge story.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #11467
digamma
Torchbearer

Yeah, I mean, what else do you want the tape to have on it?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #11468
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

I thought you wanted me to sort everything out for a minute there.

Then I thought, that's a bit harsh, maybe not entirely inaccurate, but unlikely to get me on board.

Then I saw the headline and sighed in relief.

Last edited by AlexB : 07-25-2018 at 11:41 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #11469
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I thought you wanted me to sort everything out for a minute there.

Then I thought, that's a bit harsh, maybe not entirely inaccurate, but unlikely to get me on board.

Then I saw the headline and sighed in relief.

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #11470
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
This has to be the low point in crisis management and it's beyond sad it might not even have an effect:

I think it's smart. It muddies the waters, and Trump does better in muddy waters.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #11471
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Imagine any other President getting caught on tape facilitating a hush money payment in possible violation of campaign finance laws.

Possible violation is right but I don't buy it unless there is more to the tapes. Trump has likely been paying off a bunch of mistresses even before he formalized his campaign. He used his own money or company's money.

I don't think its a great leap of faith that he did the same here (e.g. not use his campaign finance money). If he did, I assume there will be more coming out which would be great but I don't see it based on the tape(s) that have come out already.

Quote:
For most of our history this would have been a huge story.

If it is campaign finance dollars used, I agree. If not, then I revert back to Clinton, his infidelities are between him and his wife. It should also impact his supporters but I think its pretty obvious it doesn't.

I don't think it helps the Democrats to be jumping on everything that Trump may have done wrong. It drowns out the important stuff and infidelity, especially when it happened before he became President, is unfortunately not that important nowadays.

Quote:
Yeah, I mean, what else do you want the tape to have on it?

For it to mean much to me, there should be a smoking gun and I don't see it (yet).

Don't get me wrong, I would love to tie Trump making payments from his campaign kitty to his infidelities but I really don't see much here right now.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #11472
Thomkal
Head Coach

Trump's Hollywood Star destroyed last night:

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...489103611.html
Old 07-25-2018, 02:32 PM   #11473
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

I don't think its a great leap of faith that he did the same here (e.g. not use his campaign finance money). If he did, I assume there will be more coming out which would be great but I don't see it based on the tape(s) that have come out already.

We spent the better part of three years in the 90s talking about stains on a blue dress and other aspects of Clinton's sex life. I get that things have changed in the last 20 years, but this is an incredible amount of goal post moving.

Does this matter in his ability to govern? Probably not. The record there is pretty clear as it is.

But the fact that a presidential candidate paid someone off (regardless of whether it came from campaign funds, his foundation, Michael Cohen's safe, or least likely, Trump's own pocket) a month before the general election to prevent her from talking about an affair is a fairly major scandal in any other time.

I remember how hard it was for many to reconcile with children how to talk about Clinton and Lewinski. This and Stormy, etc., makes that seem like a Pixar film.

To pretend it isn't shows just how little everything matters.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #11474
Atocep
Coordinator

Yeah, Clinton's affairs were a massive story at the time.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #11475
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This story was bought by the National Enquirer and spiked. Discussing David on the tape makes it worth investigating as to whether there was coordination.

It isn't just about sex. Hush money payoffs are avenues for blackmail, just ask John Edwards.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:23 PM   #11476
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Clinton's affairs were tabloid fodder, but what caused his Presidency issues was lying under oath.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #11477
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Clinton's affairs were tabloid fodder, but what caused his Presidency issues was lying under oath.

The GOP was going after him for the affairs. Him lying under oath was a convenient opportunity for them to impeach.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #11478
digamma
Torchbearer

The field goal attempt just got another ten yards longer.

Last edited by digamma : 07-25-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #11479
Thomkal
Head Coach

Mark MeadowsVerified account @RepMarkMeadows
I just filed a resolution with @Jim_Jordan and several colleagues to impeach Rod Rosenstein. The DOJ has continued to hide information from Congress and repeatedly obstructed oversight--even defying multiple Congressional subpoenas.…

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-25-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:10 PM   #11480
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Mark MeadowsVerified account @RepMarkMeadows
I just filed a resolution with @Jim_Jordan and several colleagues to impeach Rod Rosenstein. The DOJ has continued to hide information from Congress and repeatedly obstructed oversight--even defying multiple Congressional subpoenas.…

He didn't force them to vote on it this week and they're recessing for 5 weeks tomorrow.

It's about giving red meat for the lunatic fringe while not having to actually do anything.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #11481
corbes
College Benchwarmer

So the basis of the Rosenstein impeachment claim is that "norms have been violated"??????

Quote:
In an appearance on Fox Business Network Wednesday night, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) said that while the next step remains uncertain as the House leaves town for its summer recess at the end of this week, “it was very important for those of us who believe that norms have been violated to step out and say Rod Rosenstein needs to be impeached.”

House conservatives introduce resolution calling for impeachment of Rod Rosenstein, who oversees special counsel probe on Russia - The Washington Post

I don't even know what word adequately describes the depth of shamelessness involved in that statement.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #11482
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
He didn't force them to vote on it this week and they're recessing for 5 weeks tomorrow.

It's about giving red meat for the lunatic fringe while not having to actually do anything.

So the Freedom Caucus's specialty.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:36 PM   #11483
bronconick
College Starter

Also, 8 of the 11 who signed on were in Moscow for the 4th of July, and the impeachment articles also mention something the DOJ did in October 2016. Rosenstein was hired in April 2017.

Last edited by bronconick : 07-25-2018 at 08:39 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:20 AM   #11484
Edward64
Head Coach

Here's one Stormy Daniel's analysis.

The $130,000 Stormy Daniels payoff: Was it a campaign expenditure? | PolitiFact
Quote:
The central legal question is whether Cohen paid Daniels to help Trump’s campaign, or to help Trump. Experts agreed that the most significant consequences hinge on this point.

The Federal Election Commission rules examine this through the lens of whether campaign funds have been put to personal use; the commission applies something called the Irrespective Test. The law says that something is personal if it’s "any commitment, obligation, or expense of a person that would exist irrespective of the candidate’s election campaign."

By that standard, said Emory School of Law professor Michael Kang, "the circumstances and context here are suspicious," but it’s no slam-dunk that the payment was an expenditure on behalf of the campaign.

"Cohen may have been sufficiently involved in Trump’s personal dealings, perhaps with other similar transactions in the past, that they can credibly argue the hush payment would’ve been handled in similar fashion even if Trump were not a candidate," Kang said.

Former FEC chair Bradley Smith told us he sees evidence from Daniels that places this outside the realm of the campaign.

"Daniels herself has said that years before Trump declared for president, she was threatened about not disclosing any affair, suggesting, if she's telling the truth, that her silence was desired long before Trump became a candidate," Smith said.

And one on McDougal.

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/25/176108...ugal-explained
Quote:
Rather than a smoking gun, the tape is probably most significant as a piece of a larger puzzle about an apparent hush money and scandal suppression operation for Trump. What we learned specifically from the tape is that Trump was well aware of Cohen’s involvement with AMI and David Pecker in hushing up McDougal.

The specific thing Trump and Cohen discuss doing in the tape is themselves paying AMI. There’s no evidence yet that they actually ended up doing this.
:
Trump allies’ best chance of defending themselves is probably to argue that the payments weren’t truly campaign-related. Trump, for instance, could argue that he is a celebrity and that such payments are common among celebrities dealing with the tabloids. AMI, too, could try to argue that this was a standard practice it used in its celebrity coverage. But the evidence could well contradict these claims.

As of right now, I think there is a good chance he will wiggle out of affairs-campaign finance issue based on what is public. Not saying that's the right thing. Obviously there will be more tapes and more from Cohen.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-26-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:33 AM   #11485
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
We spent the better part of three years in the 90s talking about stains on a blue dress and other aspects of Clinton's sex life. I get that things have changed in the last 20 years, but this is an incredible amount of goal post moving.

Honestly, I think Clinton was at least equivalent if not greater. His affair was during his Presidency and he lied under oath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I remember how hard it was for many to reconcile with children how to talk about Clinton and Lewinski. This and Stormy, etc., makes that seem like a Pixar film.

To pretend it isn't shows just how little everything matters.

The public didn't know/expect it from Clinton and so it was a great shock and disappointment. The public did know about Trump, probably expected it of him (e.g. 3 wives), and he was still elected.

I think we just differ on this. The Clinton thing made a bigger impact on me than what we currently know about Trump's affairs and payoff.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:39 AM   #11486
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Such disaggregation is truly something to behold.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:05 AM   #11487
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The public didn't know/expect it from Clinton and so it was a great shock and disappointment. The public did know about Trump, probably expected it of him (e.g. 3 wives), and he was still elected.

No. The campaign in 1992 was rocked by infidelity accusations and Clinton was generally thought to be a womanizer long before the election. Lewinsky wasn't presented as a shocking, out of character event, but instead as part of a pattern of immoral sexual behavior.

Last edited by JPhillips : 07-26-2018 at 08:05 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #11488
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
No. The campaign in 1992 was rocked by infidelity accusations and Clinton was generally thought to be a womanizer long before the election. Lewinsky wasn't presented as a shocking, out of character event, but instead as part of a pattern of immoral sexual behavior.

Yup. I remember Rush Limbaugh joking about the new Clinton condom: "Scented with Flowers."

Gennifer Flowers - Wikipedia
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #11489
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Quote:

I'm going to assume you were answering to my first sentence in the quote and don't disagree on the second re: Trump.

You are right, there was the Flowers scandal before the election which Clinton was obviously able to survive until it really hit the fan with Lewinsky. His lies and Hillary standing by him (e.g. 60 minutes) with Flowers helped considerably.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying -- you don't believe it was a "great shock and disappointment" re: Lewinsky because it was to me. Certainly didn't expect it while he was President.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-26-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:41 AM   #11490
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm saying the public absolutely knew and largely expected it from Clinton. At the time it was very common for people to separate his personal behavior from his Presidential behavior. His approval rating was @60% throughout his second term.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #11491
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So these things don't get lost,

Yesterday,

the WH banned a reporter from an event for asking questions they didn't like

Republican members of the House filed impeachment papers against a GOP appointee for his actions supervising an investigation into the President

emails made public show Columbus, OH cops planned an arrest of a woman suing the President and then lied about it
Old 07-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #11492
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm saying the public absolutely knew and largely expected it from Clinton. At the time it was very common for people to separate his personal behavior from his Presidential behavior. His approval rating was @60% throughout his second term.

I don't know how to prove or disprove the first sentence. I did try searching for polls but only found articles. I personally don't see it where public would have expected Clinton to have affairs while in office.

I do agree his polls were good during/after Lewinsky but think that can be attributed to numerous factors other than "public ... expected it from Clinton".
Old 07-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #11493
mckerney
Coordinator

The Trump administration deliberately took actions that it knew was likely to strengthen MS-13.

Trump admin was warned a policy change could strengthen MS-13. They did it anyway.

Last edited by mckerney : 07-26-2018 at 08:57 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #11494
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
The Trump administration deliberately took actions that it knew was likely to strengthen MS-13.

Trump admin was warned a policy change could strengthen MS-13. They did it anyway.

That's because they don't care about MS-13. They care about deporting Hispanics.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #11495
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
That's because they don't care about MS-13. They care about deporting Hispanics.

One could say the more active MS-13 is the more it helps Trumps agenda in his war against brown people.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #11496
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
One could say the more active MS-13 is the more it helps Trumps agenda in his war against brown people.

I'm just happy that Long Island is safe for white people again.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #11497
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm going to assume you were answering to my first sentence in the quote and don't disagree on the second re: Trump.

You are right, there was the Flowers scandal before the election which Clinton was obviously able to survive until it really hit the fan with Lewinsky. His lies and Hillary standing by him (e.g. 60 minutes) with Flowers helped considerably.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying -- you don't believe it was a "great shock and disappointment" re: Lewinsky because it was to me. Certainly didn't expect it while he was President.

The context and the rise of the Moral Majority played a massively significant factor in the 'shock and disappointment', and the way it all played out in the media. The rise of Limbaugh as a factor in politics simply reinforced that. The perception at the time that it was a massive deal, whereas now, what comes out from trump is just a 'meh' moment means nothing.

Taken for what they are, one major change is apparent. That the right, no longer holds their own to the same standards they held everyone else to and the reasoning for that is all about power. That it was really all about power all along and it will never again, be about anything but power.

Or, as a society, we are now completely immune to sexual assault, and serial cheaters who leave a wake of damage behind them. I'm leaning toward the former.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #11498
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
So these things don't get lost,

Yesterday,

the WH banned a reporter from an event for asking questions they didn't like

Republican members of the House filed impeachment papers against a GOP appointee for his actions supervising an investigation into the President

emails made public show Columbus, OH cops planned an arrest of a woman suing the President and then lied about it

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #11499
corbes
College Benchwarmer

this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
it was really all about power all along
Old 07-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #11500
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
Aside from the shamelessness and the red meat, the angle may have something to do with leverage in the contest for speaker of the house.

Reading Between the Lines on House Efforts to Impeach Rod Rosenstein - Lawfare

Cue Scalise. Rep. Scalise says he supports effort by conservative lawmakers to impeach Rosenstein - The Washington Post