Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

Ping: Computer techies - Hard Drive Partition Question

I have a 360 GB hard which is partitioned into 2 drives (C: and E. It is the drive that contains the OS (XP if it matters).

I am looking for a way to remove the partition without wiping the entire drive clean. I am ok with losing the data on E as its just music and pics which have already been backed up, but would prefer not to have to restore C: or (worse) re-install everything.

Can any of you recommend any utilities that could accomplish this? Thanks in advance.

dwardzala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Do you simply want to remove the E partition or do you want to delete it so that you can extend your C: partition to include the space now available because E: was deleted? The former can be done easily through Disk Management by right-clicking on the E: drive and choosing Delete. If you want to extend the C drive to now include the free space then you need a partitioning program like Partition Magic or Partition Commander. I think that gparted will work as well and it's free. I also think that Paragon's Partition Manager has a free version as well.

Be advised that you should back up anything important on your C: drive and that you also run the risk of screwing up Windows as resizing partitions is not a run-of-the-mill operation.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

I actually want to extend the C: drive space (and eliminate the E: drive altogether).

Point well taken on backing up - I have done that as well.

Incidentally, Windows disk management would not remove the E: drive and it looked like it wanted to take out C: at the same time, but gave a warning about the drive being in use.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Typed up a response, looked up and it was word for word everything weegeeboard said. Partition Magic, be careful, this isn't a minor thing, etc. .

In Windows 7 this functionality is built in, you can extend the system drive like any other. May not be an option to upgrade, but figured I'd through it out there.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Typed up a response, looked up and it was word for word everything weegeeboard said. Partition Magic, be careful, this isn't a minor thing, etc. .

In Windows 7 this functionality is built in, you can extend the system drive like any other. May not be an option to upgrade, but figured I'd through it out there.

Thanks. I am actually evaluating whether or not to do this or get a new drive and move everything over and then just reformat it for an internal data drive.

One positive out of this is my hard drive is now backed up.