Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-22-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
Rawhide
High School Varsity

An NFL Counterfactual - The London Monarchs (1976- )

National Football League plans rapid, daring international expansion.

NEW YORK (AP) - Today the Commissioner of the National Football League, Mr Pete Rozelle, made a startling announcement that signaled the intention of the NFL to increase its number of teams to 32 by the start of the 1976 season.

Six new teams, from five different countries, will swell the number of professional football francises. Currently 26 teams compete in the National Football League, split between the National and American conferences. This has been the arrangement ever since the merger of the NFL and the upstart American Football League.

New teams in the cities of Seattle and Tampa were widely expected, however nobody was prepared for Mr Rozelle's proclamation that franchises were also awarded to Mexico City, Toronto, London and Barcelona....

----

Hayden Appointed London GM

LONDON (AP) - 30 year-old Jack Hayden, a little known assistant at the Green Bay Packers, was today announced as the first general manager of the London Monarchs. With no coaches, no players, and no stadium, the task appears to be quite the monumental challenge.....

---

International teams frozen out of NFL Draft

NEW YORK (AP) - The prospects of the four international sides in the 1976 National Football League season appear to be diminishing rapidly from dismal to utterly hopeless... The London Monarchs, Toronto Huskies, Mexico City Aztecs and Barcelona Dragons were denied the opportunity to participate in this year's draft, denying them access to the brightest prospects from this year's college players.

The commissioner of the NFL, Mr Pete Rozelle, justified his decision on the basis of....

----

'76 Monarchs Home Schedule

Two hundred years ago we lost an entire continent. Now in 1976, we are taking their game back. Become a Monarchs Gold Member today to guarantee preminum seats at all Monarchs games as we take on the Yankees. Let's beat them at their own game!

All Kickoff Times are in GMT

September 12 - at Philadelphia (5:00pm)
September 19 - at Washington (5:00pm)
September 26 - BALTIMORE COLTS (1:00pm)
October 3 - at San Diego Chargers (8:00pm)
October 10 - PITTSBURGH STEELERS (1:00pm)
October 17 - at Houston Oilers (6:00pm)
October 24 - CLEVELAND BROWNS (1:00pm)
October 31 - MIAMI DOLPHINS (1:00pm)

November 7 - at Cincinnati Bengals (5:00pm)
November 14 - DALLAS COWBOYS (1:00pm)
November 28 - at Baltimore Colts (5:00pm)
December 5 - NEW YORK GIANTS (1:00pm)
December 12 - BARCELONA DRAGONS (1:00pm)

December 19 - at Toronto Huskies (5:00pm)
December 26 - HOUSTON OILERS (1:00pm)
January 2 - at Barcelona Dragons (12:00pm)
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.

Last edited by Rawhide : 03-27-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:09 AM   #2
Rawhide
High School Varsity

The hell is this?

Well, that's hardly a polite way to start.

No, I mean, what is this?

It's a dynasty report for a Front Office Football 7 game.

An international NFL team. You've taken the name of a failed NFL Europe team and attached it to your game. How novel.

Well, it's a twist on an old theme. You see, I've already written a London Monarchs story. And also a Jack Hayden story.

I vaguely recall some soccer manager game that you smashed out on the ipad. Yes, and you dumped that Monarchs dynasty more than a year ago after 30 seasons or so. What will be different this time?

Well, look at the schedule for the Monarchs, for starters...

Why does that.....wow! Houston Oilers! Baltimore Colts! What manner of evil is this? What have you done?

We've taken the NFL as it was in 1976 and added four extra teams. All of which happen to be located outside the United States.

I should have realised, if I read that first post in more detail. So, no Carolina, no Jacksonville, no Indianapolis and no Ravens. Wait a minute, no Titans either! Or Texans!

That's right. And there won't be in this dynasty. Also, the Cardinals are back in St Louis and the Rams are in Los Angeles.

Okay....so what about the players?

Well, the rosters now are as they were historically in 1976. The four international teams are filled with scrubs though, so there will be quite a bit of suckitude in these early years. Future draft classes right through to the 2014 draft will have real players, although I can't guarantee the odd fictional quirk here and there.

And what about the coaches?

There's no historical coaches file, as far as I can tell, so all of the coaches are historical.

Right, I think I get it. But why Barcelona?

Well, it is 1976 after all. London needs a division rival close to them, in the same time zone, to cut down on long hours of international travel. I would have chosen Berlin, but, you know, the Wall, the Cold War and all that.

Berlin Wall would be a heck of a name for a team.

All in good time.

Are you always going to have these internal monologues to begin a dynasty?

No, not really. But I don't want it to be a stat dumpfest either. There will be the occasional news story, a snippet from a biography, the perspective of a fan, and we'll also get inside the office of the GM from time to time.

Right, well, you have better continue then...

No, after you....

But I insist....

Well, if you say so....
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:26 AM   #3
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Monarchs Roll of Honour

Super Bowl Championships

AFC Championship Game Results

AFC South Division Titles

Hall of Fame Players

Monarchs Roll of Honour

1982 - Kent de Ossie
1984 - Herman Edwards
1984 - Bert Alcott
1985 - Joe Montana
1985 - Gerg Wilson
1986 - Jose Bynaker
1986 - Drew Hill

Head Coaches

1976-1980 - KC Beckam (24-56)
1981-1986 - Junior Nutter (38-59)
1986-1986 - Jared Cornplow (0-4)
1987-1987 - Dwight Ford (6-10)

First Round Draft Picks

1977 - LCB Herman Edwards
1978 - LT Chris Ward
1979 - QB Joe Montana
1980 - None
1981 - RB Freeman McNeil
1982 - LDE Keith Willis
1983 - SLB Karl Meckenberg
1984 - C Jim Sweeney
1985 - None
1986 - LDT Alvin Wright
1987 - FL Cris Carter and SLB Randy Kirk
1988 - LT Paul Gruber

Season Record

1976 - 4-12
1977 - 5-11
1978 - 7-9
1979 - 3-13
1980 - 5-11
1981 - 5-11
1982 - 5-11
1983 - 10-6
1984 - 8-8
1985 - 6-10
1986 - 4-12
1987 - 6-10
1988 - 6-10

Award Winners

All-League First Team
1978 - Billy Van Heusen (P)
1979 - Dave Lewis (OLB)
1983 - Wilson Whitley (LDT)
1985 - Joe Montana (QB)
1985 - Tim Smith (WR)
1985 - Karl Mecklenberg (ILB)
1987 - Karl Mecklenberg (ILB)
1987 - Alvin Wright (LDT)

Ten Year Anniversary Side - Elected in 1986

QB - Joe Montana (1979-1985)
RB - Joe Delaney (1984-1985)
FB - Matt Suhey (1980-1985)
WR - Drew Hill (1979-1985)
WR - Marcos Will (1976-1982)
TE - Derrick Ramsey (1978-1981)
T - Bert Alcott (1976-1985)
G - Mackenzie Gist (1976-1982)
C - Kent De Ossie (1976-1985)
G - Lynn Boden (1979-1983)
T - Joe Bynaker (1979-1985)

DE - Keith Willis (1982-198)
DT - Levi Stone (1980-1984)
DT - Don Reese (1976-1979)
DE - Jeff Yeates (1977-1981)
OLB - Dave Lewis (1977-1982)
ILB - Karl Mecklenburg (1983-1985)
OLB - Woodrow Lowe (1983-1985)
CB - Herman Edwards (1977-1985)
CB - Tom Henke (1976-1982)
FS - Mark Murphy (1982-1985)
FS - Max Wilkins (1976-1978)

K - Gerg Wilson (1976-1985)
P - Jeff Hayes (1982-1985)

Coach - Junior Nutter (1981-1985)

Twenty Five Year Anniversary Side - Elected in 2001

Super Bowl Champions since 1967
I (1966) - Green Bay Packers 35-10 Kansas City Chiefs
II (1967) - Green Bay Packers 33-14 Oakland Raiders
III (1968) - New York Jets 16-7 Baltimore Colts
IV (1969) - Kansas City Chiefs 23-7 Minnesota Vikings
V (1970) - Baltimore Colts 16-13 Dallas Cowboys
VI (1971) - Dallas Cowboys 24-3 Miami Dolphins
VII (1972) - Miami Dolphins 14-7 Washington Redskins
VIII (1973) - Miami Dolphins 24-7 Minnesota Vikings
IX (1974) - Pittsburgh Steelers 16-6 Minnesota Vikings
X (1975) - Pittsburgh Steelers 21-17 Dallas Cowboys
XI (1976) - Dallas Cowboys 39-17 Pittsburgh Steelers
XII (1977) - Oakland Raiders 23-13 San Francisco 49ers
XIII (1978) - Pittsburgh Steelers 26-20 New York Giants (extra time)
XIV (1979) - Chicago Bears 24-21 Pittsburgh Steelers
XV (1980) - Pittsburgh Steelers 37-12 Dallas Cowboys
XVI (1981) - Seattle Seahawks 22-21 Pittsburgh Steelers
XVII (1982) - Seattle Seahawks 32-17 New York Jets
XVIII (1983) - Pittsburgh Steelers 30-25 Chicago Bears
XIX (1984) - Houston Oilers 17-13 Seattle Seahawks
XX (1985) - San Diego Chargers 28-22 San Francisco 49ers
XXI (1986) - Detroit Lions 27-6 Barcelona Dragons
XXII (1987) - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 30-10 Pittsburgh Steelers
XXIII (1988) - Los Angeles Rams 30-10 Paris Concordes

Last edited by Rawhide : 04-04-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:55 AM   #4
Rawhide
High School Varsity

[Background Music]
[Distant Scenes of Players Warming Up]

NARRATOR: Two hundred years ago, the American colonies rose up in revolution against their English masters. Now, the roles are reversed, and it's a different kind of revolution.

[Players performing starjumps]

NARRATOR: One fought not with muskets, but with x's and o's.

[Head Coach KC Beckam examines a board with strategies, adds several lines with a thick marker]

BECKAM: Tiger-shoot-left-45-zee, let's see if they can pick it up tomorrow.

[Cue to the practice field]

QUARTERBACK MITCH BLUNDIN: Right, the play is tiger-shoot-left-45-zee, on three. [Claps hands]. Leggo!

[Blundin stands behind centre, calling the play]

BLUNDIN: Tiger! Shoot! Tiger tiger! Aw shit! [Editor's note: edit swearing in final release]

[Blundin drops the snap and the defense recovers, KC Beckam throws clipboard to the ground]

BECKAM: Aw goddamit Mitch!

NARRATOR: The revolution may take some time to ferment, but there seems little doubt that the Monarchs plan on being the Kings of the National Football League one day.

[Closeup to General Manager Jack Hayden, sitting in his office]

HAYDEN: We've been dealt a tough assignment this year but we're confident of finishing the season with at least 2 wins. It will take us a while to build a quality NFL roster but we're confident of bringing success to this side of the Atlantic.

[Close out with music, transition to next scene in Mexico City...]

=====

MONARCHS WIN!
Eagles falter in final drive

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The London Monarchs struck a blow against the critics of the newly-internationalised National Football League by winning their first ever game in franchise history, upsetting the Philadelphia Eagles at Veterans Stadium 17-16.

Trailing 16-3 in the final quarter, the first Monarchs touchdown was scored by running back Tom Brennan on a 5 yard rush. The London team then took the lead with an interception return touchdown by cornerback Ray Jenkins.

The Eagles had their chances to win, missing a 43 yard field goal, and then turning the ball over on downs during their final drive. Philadelphia's notorious fans booed the team off the field, irate that they lost to a bunch of scrubs.

Earlier in the day, the Washington Redskins beat Barcelona Dragons 42-10 in the first NFL game played outside of the United States. Joe Thiesmann threw for 421 yards and 4 touchdowns. Fellow expansion brothers Toronto Huskies lost their home opener 27-17 to Cincinnati. Two other expansion teams got a maiden win in their first outing: Seattle beat Green Bay 31-14 at home, while Tampa Bay beat Mexico City 27-10.

----

Excerpt from Head Coach KC Beckam press conference at RFK Stadium, September 19 1976:

REPORTER: What were the positives of today's loss, Coach?

BECKAM: Nobody got killed. That's a positive, I suppose.

REPORTER: The rushing game?

BECKAM: Diabolical. We can't rush at all. Eleven yards? That's generous from the statisticians.

-----

Everything from this point on is non-canon - as explained in a future post, I failed to save the game after Week 2 of the 1976 season, and essentially lost a whole season of writing. I don't feel like deleting everything though, so will put the "lost game reports" from 1976 into its own threads and start afresh in 1977. Hope this suits!

Last edited by Rawhide : 03-23-2015 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:14 AM   #5
Rawhide
High School Varsity

The Lost 1976 Game Reports - Non-Canon

-----

Excerpt from BBC Nightly News, Sunday September 26 1976

REPORTER: Today saw the first ever home game at Wembley Stadium for the new London Monarchs team. And although we...I mean, they lost 29-10 to the Baltimore Colts, the team won over many new fans with their attractive style of play, even if most didn't know what was happening half the time. Here's more....

----

Journal of Jack Hayden, GM of the London Monarchs
October 3 1976

Loss 7-44 at San Diego. Warm day. We scored first on opening possession through Marcos Will, 8 yard reception from Blundin. At 7-0, thought we would hang tough with Chargers. Not to be. Fouts nearly perfect (21/24-259 for four scores), Blundin turned the ball over twice in reply. Offensive line leaked like a sieve, and we couldn't get to their QB in reply. Jet lag starting to be a problem, game started at 8pm British time, blistering sun here. Longest trip we'll do this year. Heard later our 7-44 loss wasn't the worst of the day, the Bucs got a mighty 0-61 beating in Pittsburgh. Who do we play next? Pittsburgh. Shit.

====

"It's a little disappointing, I suppose. Pittsburgh are one of the very best teams in the NFL, you saw what they did to Tampa Bay last week, but not even the Bucs gave up five touchdowns in one quarter. I'm grateful, I suppose, to our defense for finding three turnovers in that half, but we also have to remember that the Steelers played all their reserves in that second half. 35-9 looks and sounds good, but it's not really, not for us." - Quarterback Mitch Blundin at the post-game press conference, Wembley Stadium, October 10 1976.

====

Newly acquired running back Cliff Taylor, playing his first game for the Monarchs, made as many yards in his first game as London had made in total for the first five games of the year. But his 89 yard contribution wasn't quite enough as Houston was able to hold on to a 13-9 lead at home.
- The Times

====

"Yeah, that one hurt a lot. One point losses in any sport hurt. Soccer, darts, American football. The manner of defeat hurt more than the loss though, y'know? We lost that game twice. We lost it with the safety, and we lost it on the last drive." - Head coach KC Beckam speaking after Cleveland beat London 25-24 at Wembley Stadium.

====

It's not all bad. We have by far the toughest schedule of any of the new teams thus far. And Miami are still unbeaten in 1976. They had an unbeaten season some years ago, they could well do it again. Putting up 31 points in one quarter against the Monarchs is probably par for the course for them. Heads up! Better days are ahead!
Monarchs Supporters Club president Jack Schitt in a memo to fans.

====

Excerpt from the journal of Jack Hayden, London GM
November 7 1976

Cincinnati today. Is it possible for a loss to feel like a win? 26-0. They're stil unbeaten, and we have now lost eight in a row. Defense stood up today, with four takeaways. If only we could get our offense sorted out.

Our scouts say there are a couple of decent running back options out there. Ricky Bell from USC, Tony Dorsett from Pittsburgh. Tony Reed is another name out there, from Colorado. We may be looking at a top three pick at this rate, although Barcelona and Mexico City are still to crack a win in 1976.

====

Press Conference following Dallas's 34-6 win over London at Wembley Stadium, November 14 1976

REPORTER: Blundin didn't get the start today. Any reason?

BECKAM: We wanted to get a good look at William Hill. It's unfair to compare Hill to an absolute superstar like Roger Stabach, but we're happy with his performance today. No turnovers, no mistakes.

REPORTER: Also no touchdowns.

BECKAM: Well, that too.

REPORTER: Any comment on rumours that your position is under review for 1977.

BECKAM: Ah, no comment.

====

As the Baltimore Colts strode off the field of Memorial Stadium, the first crowned division champions of 1976, it was clear that the difference between them and their vanquished opponents was like comparing a handclap to a thunderclap. - Excerpt from NFL Films Baltimore Colts 1976 review.

====

BECKAM: This is the only time I'm going to comment on this topic. Mr Rozelle set up our franchise, the Mexico franchise, the Barcelona and Toronto franchises, set them all up to fail. It was a calculated and cold act of football assassination. Not only do our boys have to fight and scrap just to lose by 30 points each week, we have to fight this perception from the American media that they aren't even trying. Let me tell you something. There are 53 men downstairs all exhausted. They're heartbroken. They pour their heart into everything they do and they're just as disappointed to lose 3-35 to the Giants as they anyone would be. But Mr Rozelle really needs to think about how he can better support the international franchises, otherwise we will quickly go the way of the dodo.
Press Conference, Wembley Stadium, December 5 1976.

====

BLUNDIN = BECKAM'S BLUNDER
Sign spotted at Wembley Stadium, December 12 1976

As Mitch Blundin fell to the turf, two yards short of a first down, a cacophony of celebration erupted from the opposite sidelines. Yellow and red helmets were tossed in the air as Barcelona took the obligatory game-ending knee and closed the chapter on a 20-12 win. They didn't so much win the game as London lose it - the only two touchdowns of the game were scored on a punt return and an interception. Now the 12 game losing streak of the Spanish side was over. Coincidentally, it was a streak that the Monarchs now equaled themselves.
- Excerpt from "One Season: The International NFL and 1976"

=====

Press Conference following Toronto's 24-17 win over London at the Skydome.

BECKAM: Are we tanking? Are we tanking? I take offense at that question. You saw a great game of football tonight between two desperate teams. It was a great game last week too, and this was no different. The difference between our effort now and our effort earlier in the season is zilch, nada, nothing, zero. Having said that, same old story, interceptions and special teams cost us dearly.

=====

Press Conference following Houston's 11-6 win over London at Wembley Stadium.

BECKAM: You're the same journalist that asked the tanking question last week, aren't you? What's your name? Clarkson? Well, let me tell you something Clarkson - that was some [expletive deleted] effort tonight to hold the [expletive deleted] Oilers to no [expletive deleted] touchdowns and a five [expletive deleted] point [expletive deleted] win. Let me [expletive deleted] tell you something - you [expletive deleted] wouldn't know [expletive deleted] from [expletive deleted] sugar. [expletive deleted] off and let the real [expletive deleted] men discuss football. [expletive deleted] .

=====

Press Conference following London's 37-6 win over Barcelona at Camp Nou.

BECKAM: Excuse me one minute gentlemen. [Opens beer and takes a drink]. That's the way to finish a season. That's the way to finish a tough season. I'm mighty proud of our young men. Would I like to come back next year? Sure. My family is in England now, my neighbours are English, my friends are English, my employer is English. Of course, I'll wait to sit down with Mr Hayden and we'll see whether we agree on the future path of our side.

REPORTER: Was there any consideration given to draft strategy before today's game?

BECKAM: [Audible sigh]. No. And as it turned out, all four international sides finish on two wins for the season, if I'm not mistaken. So you're right in one sense, we could have turned up today and did [expletive deleted] all and earn a number one pick, but we'd lose the respect and goodwill of all our fans who have seen us bust our guts for the first fifteen games. Now we might pick as low as fourth? Oh well.

Last edited by Rawhide : 03-23-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:20 AM   #6
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Okay, now we have the redacted game reports from an alternate 1976 universe out of the way, how did the season really progress (in this new-save era)?

Quite a bit better. Twice as better! Four wins!

Code:
Front Office Football: The Seventh Edition 1976 Summary for London Monarchs Year 1976 Record 4-12 Winning Pct. .250 All-Time 4-12 Winning Pct. .250 Playoffs 0-0 Playoff Visits 0 Bowl Wins 0 Head Coach K.C. Beckam Record 4-12 Winning Pct. .250 Off. Coord. J. Downs Def. Coord. W. Miller Asst. Coach B. Lathrop Stren. Coord. R. Logan London Monarchs Team Rank Rushes per Game 18.1 30 Rushing Yards 50.4 30 Yards Per Carry 2.78 31 Pass Attempts 39.4 5 Completions 21.4 19 Completion Pct. 54.2 29 Passing Yards 191.8 24 Yards Per Attempt 4.86 29 Yards Per Catch 8.97 28 Total Yardage Gained 219.9 30 3rd Down Conversions 22.5 31 Points Per Game 8.6 31 Pass Rush Pct. 19.2 20 Pass Defense Pct. 39.9 30 Turnovers 34 26 (T) Turnover Margin -14 27 (T) Opponents Team Rank Rushes per Game 32.6 30 Rushing Yards 122.9 31 Yards Per Carry 3.77 18 (T) Pass Attempts 33.4 8 Completions 21.9 17 (T) Completion Pct. 65.6 29 (T) Passing Yards 211.5 16 Yards Per Attempt 6.33 24 Yards Per Catch 9.64 14 Total Yardage Gained 320.4 24 3rd Down Conversions 35.9 28 Points Per Game 25.3 29 Pass Rush Pct. 22.3 26 (T) Pass Defense Pct. 67.4 28 Turnovers 20 29 (T) Week Team Versus Oppnt 1 17 at PHI 16 2 3 at WAS 30 3 35 BAL 32 4 7 at SD 20 5 0 PIT 27 6 6 at HOU 28 7 3 CLE 34 8 3 MIA 34 9 0 at CIN 28 10 3 vs DAL 41 12 3 at BAL 19 13 7 NYG 30 14 28 BAR 16 15 17 at TOR 27 16 3 HOU 23 17 3 at BAR 0 Passing Pos Att Comp Yards Y/Att TD Int Rate 11 M. Blundin QB 609 331 2937 4.82 8 21 57.5 **Team --- 631 342 3069 4.86 8 21 57.9 $$Opp --- 535 351 3384 6.33 21 12 86.8 Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD Fum 42 T. Brennan RB 138 258 1.87 2 1 28 A. Torretta RB 79 258 3.27 1 4 43 C. Turner RB 47 219 4.66 0 1 **Team --- 290 806 2.78 3 25 $$Opp --- 522 1966 3.77 19 18 Receiving Pos Targ Catch Yards Y/Ctc Y/Tar Drop TD 80 M. Will WR 130 65 660 10.15 5.08 11 2 81 B. Reed WR 117 64 524 8.19 4.48 7 1 84 T. Carrell WR 117 61 620 10.16 5.30 8 1 85 C. Walters WR 75 37 394 10.65 5.25 4 3 88 J. Blanks TE 34 21 139 6.62 4.09 2 1 87 R. Carmody TE 42 21 198 9.43 4.71 2 0 42 T. Brennan RB 28 17 129 7.59 4.61 3 0 20 W. Wilson FB 20 16 82 5.13 4.10 0 0 Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack Hurr Ints Defn PDPct 49 G. Reynolds S 84 35 1.0 0 2 8 81.2 50 J. Gogolak ILB 81 32 0.0 1 0 1 75.6 46 M. Wilkins S 56 24 0.0 1 4 4 81.6 39 D. Wolfe CB 49 10 0.0 0 0 4 72.3 53 S. Mowatt OLB 48 19 2.5 1 1 7 76.0 91 J. Fletcher DT 44 13 4.5 5 0 0 80.7 90 T. Luscinski OLB 43 12 0.5 0 0 2 69.7 23 J. Sczurek CB 42 11 0.0 1 3 4 78.6 96 K. Sims DT 41 16 1.5 6 0 0 79.8 51 B. Culberson ILB 40 13 0.0 1 0 4 76.2 27 R. Jenkins CB 37 12 0.0 0 1 4 73.0 95 T. Fielder DT 36 17 2.5 5 0 0 81.5 77 J. James DE 36 5 6.0 8 0 0 79.9 21 T. Henke CB 35 8 1.0 0 1 6 78.1 72 B. Bullard DE 33 12 6.5 10 0 0 80.1 22 L. Williams S 33 10 0.5 1 0 3 77.8 55 D. Barker OLB 31 11 0.5 0 0 1 68.4 44 A. Johnson CB 24 8 0.0 0 0 0 70.6 94 M. Cooke DE 22 9 2.5 5 0 2 81.3 79 H. Sabbatini DE 22 3 3.0 7 0 0 80.4

Barcelona go 0-16 and get the coveted first overall pick. Mexico City are 2-14, while we are tied with the Bucs, Chiefs and Giants. So, picking somewhere between third and sixth.

AFC Conference Championship
Pittsburgh Steelers 19
Miami Dolphins 13

NFC Conference Championship
Dallas Cowboys 28
Detroit Lions 10

Super Bowl XI
Dallas Cowboys 39
Pittsburgh Steelers 17

Season Awards
MVP - Roger Staubach (Dallas Cowboys QB)
Offensive Player of the Year - Roger Staubach (Dallas Cowboys QB)
Defensive Player of the Year - Bill Stanfill (Miami Dolphins LDE)
Offensive Rookie of the Year - Gary Davis (Miami Dolphins RB)
Defensive Rookie of the Year - Greg Buttle (New York Jets WLB)

Last edited by Rawhide : 03-23-2015 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:39 AM   #7
Rawhide
High School Varsity

House Rules

Coaching Staff
- I may hire and fire coaches without restriction.
- Where suitable, preference will be given to former Monarchs players when hiring.

Roster Management
- I may re-sign any number of players from my roster in any year once their contract has expired.
- I may apply the franchise tag where needed.
- I may extend the contracts of any players under contract, but their bonus must be increased by 50% to reflect higher costs of living in England.
- I may only "cap out" the contract of one player from offense and one player from defense each year, where needed.

Free Agents
- I may sign a number of free agents each year, under the following formula: Free Agents = (18 - Number of Wins in Previous Season). So, for instance, in a 4-12 season, I may sign 14 free agents from other sides.
- No free agent signing can have a higher rating than any player in the same position group under contract as at the beginning of the staff draft. So, I may only sign that 40/40 quarterback if there is already a player on the offensive side of the ball with comparable ratings, e.g. 42/42. That will prevent me from stocking my team in 1977 with free agent mercenaries
- I will make all offers before the second stage of free agency ends. I cannot make any new offers until the last player that I offered a contract to has signed, either with me or elsewhere. I may update offers to players who already have offers but cannot make offers to any other players until that 'first phase' is complete.
- When I install a new head coach, offensive coordinator or defensive coordinator, preference in free agency will go to players from their former side.

Trading
- When the AI offers a trade, I will perform a "dice roll" via Microsoft Excel to decide whether to accept. There will be a 50% probability of my accepting any AI trade offer.
- I may not trade for the first overall pick under any circumstance
- I may initiate player-for-player trades with the AI but must give up the superior rated player or a first or second round pick as part of the trade

Game Plans and Roster Management
- I am the general manager; the coaches have full control over gameplanning. I have full control over roster management.

Other tweaks and rules will be added when necessary.

Last edited by Rawhide : 03-25-2015 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:04 AM   #8
Rawhide
High School Varsity

1977 Pre-Season

KC Beckam is retained as coach, although we do not extend his contract past the 1977 season. He may walk away after this upcoming season.

We fire our offensive and defensive coordinators, and sign Jamal Martin (Barcelona offensive coordinator) and Gino Crane (Barcelona defensive coordinator) to the roles. Barcelona went 0-16 in the previous season but Martin and Crane are upgrades. Jared Cornplow, former assistant coach at the Raiders, is hired to the same role for London.

Our former offensive coordinator picks up a job with the Miami Dolphins, and our former defensive coordinator with the Oakland Raiders.

We pick fourth overall in the draft, behind Barcelona, Mexico City and Tampa Bay. The best five rated prospects are RB Tony Dorsett, DT Bob Baumhower, CB Herman Edwards, RB Wilbert Montgomery and OT Ted Albrecht.

Just five players are under contract for 1977. Six if you count the kicker, who is by far the best rated player on the team.

We can sign 14 free agents before the draft, with maximum ratings of 38 for defense, 32 for offense, and 58 for kickers/punters.

I re-sign a number of players so we have 21 under contract before the start of free agency.

14 offers are made, with the following players signing for the Monarchs:

WLB Al Palewicz (29/38) - Kansas City
LCB Perry Smith (35/42) - Green Bay
SS Terry Brown (34/34) - Cleveland
LT Tom Drougas (27/32) - Miami
FB Sam Scarber (27/28) - Free agent (former San Diego)
SE Walker Gillette (30/30) - San Diego
QB Gary Huff (24/37) - Chicago
RDE Joe Owens (36/36) - Houston
RB Fred Willis (29/29) - Houston
LDE Jeff Yeates (37/41) - Buffalo
TE Charlie Young (32/32) - Philadelphia

Young is the last player from the original crop of offers to sign for us, in Stage 11. So, we reach out to three more before the draft.

MLB Tim Kearney (29/29) - Detroit
FL Howard Twilley (29/29) - Miami
LG John Watson (28/33) - San Francisco

Top 10 Players Changing Teams in 1977 (as per Grey Sheet):

RDE John Andrews (61/61) - Miami --> Mexico City
LG Mike Montler (61/61) - Buffalo --> Atlanta
RG Tommy Lyons (58/58) - Denver --> Cleveland
LDE Bubba Smith (49/49) - Houston --> Minnesota
RG Bruce Van Dyke (60/60) - Green Bay --> Kansas City
LG Gale Gillingham (59/59) - Green Bay --> Toronto
FB Marv Hubbard (69/69) - Oakland --> Barcelona
WLB George Webster (57/57) - New England --> San Francisco
SLB Pat Hughes (54/54) - New York Giants --> Toronto
RB Jim Kiick (50/50) - Denver --> Seattle

So, onto the draft! Barcelona look certain to take Tony Dorsett, while we are hoping that either Baumhower or Edwards will drop into our lap at #4.

1.01 - Barcelona Dragons - RB Tony Dorsett (62/76)
1.02 - Mexico City Aztecs - QB Tommy Kramer (12/60)
1.03 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - WLB Robin Cole (40/60)

Well, that was a mild surprise. We have to choose between the two highest players on our board, of which we were mildly hopeful just one would still be available.

In the end, we decide that you play to win the game, so we take the cornerback.

1.04 - London Monarchs - LCB Herman Edwards (35/56)

Baumbauer falls all the way to 10, where he is drafted by Toronto.

1.05 - New York Giants - QB Matt Robinson (10/42)
1.06 - Kansas City Chiefs - RB Wilbert Montgomery (54/61)
1.07 - New Orleans Saints - FL Stanley Morgan (42/64)
1.08 - Baltimore Colts - SS Nolan Cromwell (33/35)
1.09 - New York Jets - SLB Bruce Huther (27/58)
1.10 - Toronto Huskies - NT Bob Baumhower (41/64)

The rest of our draft panned out relatively poorly.

2.03 - London Monarchs - WLB Dave Lewis (23/42)
3.06 - London Monarchs - QB Steve DeBerg (9/44)
4.05 - London Monarchs - RDE Joe Campbell (13/33)
5.04 - London Monarchs - RCB Mark Mitchell (11/29)
6.03 - London Monarchs - SE Johnny Perkins (17/31)
7.06 - London Monarchs - FB Sidney Thornton (21/29)

With 11 vacancies on our roster, and our full quota of 14 free agents already signed, we wait until the final stage of free agency before making a few offers. None are really worth mentioning. Our RDE Burnell Bullard (32/37) begins an absurd holdout. Disappointingly, the random number gods reward him with a fat new contract worth $5.73 over five years!

Let's see how the 1977 rookies went at training camp.

LCB Herman Edwards (35/56) --> (38/54)
WLB Dave Lewis (23/42) --> (27/41)
QB Steve DeBerg (9/44) --> (14/44)
RDE Joe Campbell (13/33) --> (15/29)
RCB Mark Mitchell (11/29) --> (13/27)
SE Johnny Perkins (17/31) --> (19/31)
FB Sidney Thornton (21/29) --> (23/31)

Beckam seems to be favouring DeBerg as the starter in pre-season, ahead of Huff who started 11 games for Chicago last year, going 5-6 in that time.

Pre-Season Results:
Won 41-16 v Philadelphia
Won 13-10 at Tampa Bay
Lost 11-37 at Dallas
Lost 17-47 v Atlanta

We are dead last in the power rankings heading into the new season.

Last edited by Rawhide : 03-25-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:16 AM   #9
Rawhide
High School Varsity

1977 Season

At Houston Oilers (0-0)
Huff gets the start but tosses two interceptions, while DeBerg comes off in relief and throws one of this own. Walker Gilette sets a new Monarchs record with 129 yards receiving. Normally reliable kicker Gerg Wilson shanks his first extra point attempt for the new season. Lost 9-28.

At Los Angeles Rams (0-1)
We got the early lead thanks to a 48 yard rushing touchdown from Tom Brennan. Aidan Torretta went one better and got a 62 yard rushing touchdown of his own, setting up a dramatic fourth quarter. London tied the game at 24 with 2:14 remaining as Huff found Gillette on the end of a 34 yard bomb. Gerg Wilson attempted a 55 yarder as time expired but the kick was short. The Monarchs would get the ball first in extra time but fail to earn a first down, setting up the Rams' opportunity for victory. Lost 24-27 in extra time.

At Buffalo Bills (2-0)
The final game of our roadtrip to start 1977. The Bills attempted to stuff the ball down our throats, through their powerhouse running back O.J. Simpson, and their defense did a stellar job of stuffing our own running back Tom Brennan (11 yards on 13 carries). Aidan Torretta would claim the lead for London, which we held right through until the last dramatic 20 seconds. With Buffalo backed up on their own 6 yard line, rookie corner Herm Edwards would force a fumble from receiver Reggie Craig, pick up the ball and run into the end zone without a hand on him. First victory for 1977. If you don't count the 3-0 win against expansion Barcelona last year, it is the first time we kept an NFL offense without a touchdown. Won 13-3.

Home v Oakland Raiders (3-0)
A massive test to open our home season. The game looked to be over quickly when the Raiders opened a 14-10 lead, but the Monarchs would fight back to reduce the deficit to just four points. Oakland would take just three plays to answer and took a 21-10 lead to the sheds. Two early scores in the second half would see the game over as a contest and the Raiders advanced their perfect record. Lost 13-38.

We have a bye during Week 5, after which time Dallas (5-0), Oakland (5-0), Pittsburgh (5-0) Denver (4-0) and Chicago (4-0) are still unbeaten, while Detroit (0-5) and Barcelona (0-5) are still chasing their first wins for 1977. Detroit played in the NFC Championship Game last year, while Barcelona are still looking for their first win in franchise history, losing 21 in a row.

At Baltimore Colts (1-4)
The Colts have had a poor start to the season, but you wouldn't know by the way they mishandled us. Four quick touchdowns in the first half and the game was as good as over. Lost 6-31.

Home v Houston Oilers (2-3)
The AFC South is incredibly weak this year, with us standing just a game behind the division leaders. We trade field goals then allow the Oilers to get a 13-3 lead. We claw it back and even the ledger at halftime, thanks to a Huff 46 yard pass to Carrell. Gerg Wilson puts us ahead in the dying moments of the third quarter, and Houston quickly reply. With two minutes in the game, we are building a drive when receiver Marcos Will fumbles in midfield. The ball is picked up by a Monarch however and taken 58 yards down the field for the winning score! We are now half a game behind the Colts. Won 23-16.

At Kansas City Chiefs (3-3)
We hang around for three quarters, but decisively lose the game on a pick six. Lost 13-30

Home v Denver Broncos (6-1)
A golden opportunity slips through our fingers. We outplay the AFC West leaders for 56 minutes, holding a 16-3 lead until Terry Hanratty springs the Broncos offense into life. Rick Upchurch was the main beneficary of his passes, finding two touchdown passes as well as a vital 36 yard gain on third-and-long during what would turn out to be the game-winning drive. Lyle Alzado made a critical stop, bringing down free agent running back Jim Jodat a yard short of keeping the Monarchs drive alive. With the loss, we are 2-6 at the halfway point of the season. Lost 19-24

At San Diego Chargers (5-3)
An abysmal performance, with our running backs making a grand total of 11 yards. Our only touchdown was scored through a 98 yard interception return. Lost 7-33

Home v Barcelona Dragons (0-9)
An awful first half from both teams, with just two field goals on the board at halftime. Barcelona would grab another field goal before Jim Jodat put London in front. His efforts were in vain as Barcelona benefited from our turnovers, and Tony Dorsett placed the Dragons in front again at 13-10. We levelled the score again with 9:10 to go, but couldn't stop our rapid rate of turnovers. Barcelona had the opportunity to drive downfield and set up a game-winning drive, but quarterback Jon Fears destroyed the Dragons' hopes, tossing a pick six and gifting London our third win of the year. The two teams combined for six turnovers, including three fumbles lost. Won 20-13

Home v St Louis Cardinals (7-3)
A dour game but London has its first winning streak in franchise history.Gary Huff is poor once again at quarterback and is turning the ball over far too often. However, KC Beckam seems determined to keep him under center, and that's probably the best option of a poor trio. The defense sealed the win with an interception inside the two minute warning, and the disbelieving Cardinals drop out of the wildcard places in the NFL. Won 10-6

Home v Cleveland Browns (6-5)
We are brought back to earth with a smashing loss, accentuated by two pick sixes from Gary Huff. Steve DeBerg closes out the game. Lost 13-45

At Seattle Seahawks (5-7)
Our second West Coast trip sees us fall agonisingly short against the Seahawks. Although we hold Seattle to just 11 first downs (compared to our 21), we allow the hometown team to score the winning drive late in the fourth quarter and have no means to counter. Lost 9-10

At Barcelona Dragons (0-13)
The winless Dragons get the jump on us early, scoring 10 points in the first three minutes thanks to our turnovers. Steve DeBerg rights the ship somewhat but another turnover from the rookie sees Barcelona get a 17-7 lead early in the second quarter. The hometown crowd were in raptures. We trade touchdowns and the Dragons lead 24-17 at the long break. Quarterback Jon Fears restores the 14 point lead with a scramble early in the third quarter, but our special teams come up big with a fumble return from a punt. The game is finally put beyond our reach in the fourth quarter when the Dragons score. Appropriately, the game ends on an intercept. Barcelona break a 29 game losing streak. Lost 24-38

Home v San Francisco 49ers (10-4)
Rookie quarterback Steve DeBerg throws three touchdown passes - but two of them for the Niners. Rookie corner Herman Edwards does well with two picks of his own, and we outlast San Francisco at home. Gerg Wilson contributes four field goals. Won 19-14

Home v Baltimore Colts (7-8)
Baltimore have already wrapped up the division despite their poorly form, and we have the opportunity to finish just one game behind them in the standings. A bizarre statline from DeBerg with nearly more yards (31) than pass attempts (30). Herm Edwards grabs a pick six, and must be in strong contention for Defensive Rookie of the Year honours. The Colts even up their record with a big win. It seems likely that this was KC Beckam's last game as coach, having amassed a 9-23 record in two seasons. Lost 13-37.

Code:
1977 Summary for London Monarchs Year 1977 Record 5-11 Winning Pct. .312 All-Time 9-23 Winning Pct. .281 Playoffs 0-0 Playoff Visits 0 Bowl Wins 0 Head Coach K.C. Beckam Record 9-23 Winning Pct. .281 Off. Coord. J. Martin Def. Coord. G. Crane Asst. Coach J. Cornplow Stren. Coord. R. Logan London Monarchs Team Rank Rushes per Game 19.9 29 Rushing Yards 71.9 28 Yards Per Carry 3.61 19 Pass Attempts 40.5 4 Completions 23.4 10 (T) Completion Pct. 57.9 27 Passing Yards 201.4 24 Yards Per Attempt 4.97 30 Yards Per Catch 8.59 30 Total Yardage Gained 252.8 30 3rd Down Conversions 28.4 27 Points Per Game 14.7 28 (T) Pass Rush Pct. 17.6 22 Pass Defense Pct. 47.1 23 Turnovers 30 21 (T) Turnover Margin +4 12 Opponents Team Rank Rushes per Game 29.6 26 Rushing Yards 112.8 27 Yards Per Carry 3.81 19 Pass Attempts 35.3 13 (T) Completions 22.1 17 (T) Completion Pct. 62.7 21 Passing Yards 227.5 17 Yards Per Attempt 6.44 22 Yards Per Catch 10.28 16 Total Yardage Gained 328.9 27 3rd Down Conversions 36.4 26 Points Per Game 24.6 30 Pass Rush Pct. 20.7 21 Pass Defense Pct. 54.2 22 Turnovers 34 3 (T) Week Team Versus Oppnt 1 9 at HOU 28 2 24 at LA 27 3 13 at BUF 3 4 13 OAK 38 6 6 at BAL 31 7 23 HOU 16 8 13 at KC 30 9 19 DEN 24 10 7 at SD 33 11 20 BAR 13 12 10 STL 6 13 13 CLE 45 14 9 at SEA 10 15 24 at BAR 38 16 19 SF 14 17 13 BAL 37 Passing Pos Att Comp Yards Y/Att TD Int Rate 19 G. Huff QB 522 310 2684 5.14 6 10 68.8 4 S. Deberg QB 126 65 539 4.28 2 10 35.1 **Team --- 648 375 3223 4.97 8 20 62.3 $$Opp --- 565 354 3640 6.44 25 19 81.9 Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD Fum 42 T. Brennan RB 159 586 3.69 1 5 20 J. Jodat RB 93 245 2.63 2 1 28 A. Torretta RB 40 227 5.68 3 0 **Team --- 319 1151 3.61 6 31 $$Opp --- 474 1805 3.81 13 30 Receiving Pos Targ Catch Yards Y/Ctc Y/Tar Drop TD 16 H. Twilley WR 120 68 666 9.79 5.55 11 1 86 W. Gillette WR 122 63 621 9.86 5.09 12 3 80 M. Will WR 123 59 656 11.12 5.33 7 1 84 T. Carrell WR 70 41 342 8.34 4.89 8 1 20 J. Jodat RB 50 33 194 5.88 3.88 4 1 34 S. Thornton FB 28 23 128 5.57 4.57 1 0 42 T. Brennan RB 30 22 102 4.64 3.40 3 0 17 J. Perkins WR 37 20 160 8.00 4.32 5 0 Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack Hurr Ints Defn PDPct 99 T. Kearney ILB 101 27 1.5 2 3 4 76.9 30 E. Buckner S 89 37 0.0 0 2 11 80.5 98 D. Lewis OLB 66 23 1.0 2 2 5 74.5 46 M. Wilkins S 50 25 0.0 0 0 5 77.4 38 P. Smith CB 45 9 0.0 0 0 3 72.2 95 T. Fielder DT 43 18 4.5 6 0 0 82.2 54 J. Gardner OLB 42 11 2.0 1 1 1 69.1 47 H. Edwards CB 40 10 0.0 1 6 9 85.9 70 J. Owens DE 39 11 6.0 11 0 0 81.4 71 D. Reese DT 34 10 1.0 7 0 0 81.2 21 T. Henke CB 33 15 1.0 0 3 4 79.6 78 J. Yeates DE 30 15 3.5 12 0 0 80.7 22 C. Parson CB 30 8 0.0 1 2 1 77.1 33 T. Brown S 26 6 1.0 0 0 3 75.9 72 B. Bullard DE 26 4 4.5 6 0 0 77.6 90 T. Luscinski OLB 20 3 1.0 0 0 1 70.1 93 A. Palewicz OLB 17 4 1.0 0 0 0 71.7 73 M. Fultz DT 17 3 1.0 4 0 0 80.9

Individual Game Records Set in 1977
Pass Attempts - Gary Huff (59 v Seattle)
Pass Completions - Gary Huff (34 v Kansas City)
Yards Per Pass Attempt - Steve DeBerg (7.50 v Barcelona)
Receptions - Howard Twilley (10 v St Louis; equals record of 10 set by Marcos Will in 1976)
Receiving Yards - Walker Gillette (129 v Houston)
Yards Per Reception - Walker Gillette (21.50 v Houston)
Targeted Passes - Marcos Will (15 v Kansas City)
Passes Dropped - Walker Gillette (6 v Seattle)
Interceptions - Herm Edwards (2 v San Francisco) and Tim Kearney (2 v Kansas City)
Tackles - Tim Kearney (13 v Baltimore)
Assists - Emmett Buckner (6 v Buffalo; 6 v Houston)
Hurries - Tom Fielder (4 v Los Angeles)
Field Goals - Gerg Wilson (4 v Denver; 4 v San Francisco)
Key Run Blocks - Tom Drougas (4 v Baltimore, equals record of 4 set by Mackenzie Gist in 1976)
Key Run Opportunities - Tom Drougas (10 v San Francisco)
Punt Return Yards - Tom Henke (46 v Buffalo)
Kickoff Return Yards - Tom Brennan (167 v Barcelona)
Yards From Scrimmage - Walker Gillette (129 v Houston)
All-Purpose Yards - Tom Brennan (196 v Houston)

Team Game Records Set in 1977
Pass Attempts - 59 v Seattle

Last edited by Rawhide : 03-26-2015 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:35 AM   #10
Rawhide
High School Varsity

AFC Championship Game
Oakland Raiders 30
Pittsburgh Steelers 27
Pittsburgh go 16-0 in the regular season but couldn't finish the task in the post-season.

NFC Championship Game
San Francisco 49ers 34
St Louis Cardinals 28

Super Bowl XII
Oakland Raiders 23
San Francisco 49ers 13

Season Awards
MVP - Ken Stabler (Oakland Raiders QB)
Super Bowl MVP - Fred Biletnikoff (Oakland Raiders FL)
Offensive Player of the Year - Ken Stabler (Oakland Raiders QB)
Defensive Player of the Year - Jeff Merrow (Atlanta Falcons RDE)
Offensive Rookie of the Year - Tony Dorsett (Barcelona Dragons RB)
Defensive Rookie of the Year - Robin Cole (Tampa Bay Buccaneers SLB)

No Monarchs won any awards or named to any All-League teams.

Last edited by Rawhide : 03-27-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:58 AM   #11
Rawhide
High School Varsity

1978 Pre-Season

We pick 31st overall in the staff draft, and KC Beckam is still available when we are selecting. He is the highest rated coach on the board, but has a strength in the area of tight ends, not really a position of priority at our club. There is another coach rated just two points less, and he has significantly higher ratings in scouting, interviewing and intelligence.

I decide to give Beckam a contract extension. He is locked up until the end of the 1981 season. At just 38 years of age, we are hoping he will grow into the role. We make a significant upgrade in the strength coach.

We have the seventh overall pick in the 1978 draft. Picking ahead of us are the Huskies, Dragons, Oilers, Eagles, Jets and Aztecs.

Before free agency starts, Green Bay offer us a trade. We accept. Tom Brennan (36/36) is traded away for fullback Barty Smith (39/39) and a fourth rounder. Smith has played just one snap in the last two seasons but would be a starter for us.

We have 13 offers for free agents available thanks to our 5-11 season. The rating cap is 44 for defense, 40 for offense.

We end up using just 10 of our offers before the draft, leaving some of our powder dry for the post-draft free agency.

One of our own players - LT Tom Drougas - rejects our offer and ends up joining the Lions.

Top 10 Players Changing Teams in 1978 (as per Grey Sheet):

RDE Ron Carpenter (73/73) - Cincinnati ---> Miami
LDE Bill Stanfill (65/65) - Miami ---> Washington
NT Mike McCoy (62/62) - Green Bay ---> Buffalo
QB Ron Jaworski (58/61) - Los Angeles ---> New York Giants
LDE Steve Baumgartner (55/57) - New Orleans ---> Washington
QB Joe Namath (43/43) - New York Jets ---> Kansas City
FL Ron Shanklin (49/49) - Chicago ---> Detroit
RDE Ernie Price (43/43) - Detroit ---> London
QB Steve Spurrier (40/40) - Tampa Bay ---> Los Angeles
FL Marlin Briscoe (43/43) - New England ---> Barcelona

Draft time. I'm hopeful we can get a useful addition to our offensive line or backfield, but will probably take the best player available.

1.01 - Toronto Huskies - WR James Lofton (42/63)
1.02 - Barcelona Dragons - QB Doug Williams (12/33)
1.03 - Washington Redskins (via Houston Oilers) - DT Henry Bradley (45/45)

I decide that if Earl Campbell gets past Philadelphia, I'm going to try and trade up from seven to five for him.

He doesn't get past the Eagles.

1.04 - Philadelphia Eagles - RB Earl Campbell (60/69)
1.05 - New York Jets - WR J.T. Smith (35/68)
1.06 - Mexico City Aztecs - CB Terry Jackson (29/58)

We take the best player on our draft board, who fills a need on our offensive line. He's a mild disappointment when we see his grading though.

1.07 - London Monarchs - LT Chris Ward (24/41)
1.08 - Atlanta Falcons - OLB Clay Matthews (32/60)
1.09 - New Orleans Saints - G Homer Elias (26/60)
1.10 - Detroit Lions - TE Todd Christensen (41/54)

With an extra pick, we aim to plug several holes in our roster.

2.06 - London Monarchs - MLB Sean Clancy (24/39)
3.05 - London Monarchs - LDE Barry Bennett (26/32)
4.10 - London Monarchs - TE Derrick Ramsey (22/33)
4.26 - London Monarchs - RB Walter Landers (15/18)
5.09 - London Monarchs - LT Frank Myers (8/32)
6.08 - London Monarchs - C Will Grant (18/27)
7.07 - London Monarchs - SE Danny Fulton (13/25)

Before the post-draft free agency begins, we have to deal with a trade offer and two holdouts.

QB Steve DeBerg (15/47) is traded away to the Bucs for a sixth rounder in 1979.

QB Gary Huff (32/38) begins a holdout and the random number gods reward him with a $9.7m contract over three years! Fiscal madness!

RDE Joe Owens (35/35) also has a holdout, and we try to trade him away. Nobody is interested, so we release him instead.

Two valuable additions to our defense - we'll have to do well on this side of the ball in the probable case of our offense sucking again.

Training Camp time:

LT Chris Ward (24/41) --> (27/41)
MLB Sean Clancy (24/39) --> (28/42)
LDE Barry Bennett (26/32) --> (29/33)
TE Derrick Ramsey (22/33) --> (25/33)
RB Walter Landers (15/18) --> (16/19)
LT Frank Myers (8/32) --> (11/31)
C Will Grant (18/27) --> (21/28)
SE Danny Fulton (13/25) --> (15/24)

Pre-Season Results:
Won 21-15 at Philadelphia
Won 24-16 v Atlanta
Lost 27-44 at Washington
Won 19-17 v Mexico City

It's little surprise that we are last in the pre-season power rankings. Eight of the top nine teams are from the AFC, with Dallas the only NFC representative. Pittsburgh are the clear favourites to win the Super Bowl

Last edited by Rawhide : 03-27-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:31 AM   #12
Rawhide
High School Varsity

1978 Season
Expected Record - 3-13

At Barcelona Dragons (0-0)
We return to the scene of last year's most disappointing performance. Right on halftime, we go from 10-10 to 20-10 ahead when we recover a kickoff fumbled by the Dragons. Another ten points in the third quarter mean we can afford to coast home. Barcelona restore respectability with a touchdown on the final play of the game, to no avail. Won 33-25 (1-0)

Home v Philadelphia Eagles (0-1)
We play the Eagles for the second time in three seasons, and get the same result, although we have to work hard for it. Gary Huff tosses 262 yards and a touchdown, while Gerg Wilson boots home two field goals, the second in extra time. We have our first ever 2-0 start to a season. Won 20-17 in extra time (2-0)

At San Diego Chargers (2-0)
The schedule-makers have a sense of humour, as we have our third trip to the west coast in our first three seasons. We shock the Chargers by going ahead 7-0 on our first drive of the game, and are building towards increasing the lead before a pick six puts the home team on the board. Huff, in great form, puts London back up with a touchdown pass to Tom Carrell. Dave Lewis grabs his second interception and we have a ten point lead. Dan Fouts exits the game and we lead at halftime. Two more field goals wipes our lead to a single point with 3:16 remaining in the third quarter. The Chargers put together a 14-play drive to go in front for the first time. Dave Lewis is having a great game as he recovers a fumble on the next San Diego drive. We hold the ball at the two-minute warning, down by six. The ball goes over on downs but the Chargers mess up their timeouts, and we have 44 seconds and 83 yards to go. We gain 28 yards but are called for a penalty, and then a sack ends the game. We've done well but not got the points. Lost 17-23 (2-1)

Home v Cincinnati Bengals (1-2)
A game where we never really got going. Huff too inefficient with the ball again sees veteran backup Brian Dowling close out the game. Bengals safety Glen Edwards has a great game, with 3 interceptions and 8 tackles. We are tied for the lead of the AFC South with the Colts. Lost 10-33 (2-2)

Home v Cleveland Browns (3-1)
A dour first half sees the Monarchs lead 3-0 at the break. The trend of playing the game almost exclusively in the middle of the field continues, and the score is the same heading into the fourth quarter. We've had a 3-0 result before (against the Dragons in 1976) but this would be something else. We get the break we want when Perry Smith intercepts Brian Sipe at midfield. Huff throws our chance away in typical fashion by tossing an interception. The Browns then implode. We back them up to the 9 yard line with a sack, then Cleveland gets called for intentional grounding, with a safety awarded in our favour. We close out the game in gritty fashion and earn our third win of the season. Our defense comes up big! Won 5-3 (3-2)

At Baltimore Colts (2-3)
Huge, huge game in the context of our season. A win here will see us establish a two game lead in the NFL's weakest division. The Colts are up for the challenge, and spurred on by a big Memorial Stadium crowd, establish a 27-0 lead at halftime. Drats. The memorably-named Derwin Kafentzis throws a sympathy touchdown as the last scoring play of the game, as we sit Huff and then Dowling. Lost 7-37 (3-3)

At Pittsburgh Steelers (6-0
The Steelers are on fire this year, with an average of 34.3 points per game. They look poised to have another excellent season, with five of the 1976 expansion teams on their schedule. You can only beat who is in front of you though. The Monarchs have a great start to the game, intercepting Bradshaw for just the third time this year, and turning it into three points. We trade field goals and intercept Bradshaw once more, leading 6-3 after 15 minutes. It must be our lucky day, as a third interception is taken and we lead 9-6. We may rue not turning more of these field goals into touchdowns though. We thrown an interception of our own, and the Steelers lead 12-9 in a mildly shocking halftime lead. It sounds like a broken record, but Bradshaw throws yet another touchdown! Four in one game, and six for the season. Some resemblance of normality is restored when the Steelers break through for the first touchdown of the game, Bradshaw to Theo Bell. The Monarchs aren't done yet, and Jim Jodat storms in for a touchdown with less than a minute to go. We can't recover the onside kick though and Pittsburgh win the game on the scoreboard, if not on the field. One telling stat is that Huff was sacked seven times, Bradshaw just once. Lost 19-22 (3-4)

At Toronto Huskies (1-6)
We win a tough game. If turnovers are your thing, this was probably the game of the year. Three interceptions in the space of 35 seconds in the third quarter sums up how effective the offenses were. We get our second safety of the year, and Edwards gets his first interception of the year. Won 15-0 (4-4)

Home v Houston Oilers (3-3-1)
There is a three-way tie at the top of the AFC South, but we are the third cog in the wheel thanks to our big loss to Baltimore. Our defense has forced 20 turnovers in eight games so far and we'll have to continue this form if we are any chance of playoffs in 1978. Playoffs??!!! I just hope we can win another game, given our first half performance. The Oilers blow us out, we get some sympathy scores in the second half but the horse had bolted by then. Lost 13-31 (4-5)

We have a bye week, a perfect time to reflect on standings elsewhere in the NFL. I had previous said the AFC South was the weakest division, and our 15-16-1 is certainly nothing to skite about, but the NFC South is positively putrid. 8-30. Atlanta and New Orleans are tied for the division lead at 3-7. Pittsburgh are clearly the class of the NFL at 10-0, and it will take an almighty effort to stop them winning Super Bowl XIII. The NFC North looks beastly, with Chicago (7-2) leading the other three sides tied at 6-3. The Niners are falling hard this year, from losing last year's Super Bowl to sitting at 1-8.

Home v Barcelona Dragons (2-7)
A great first half sees us lead our Spanish cousins 21-5. Huff has his usual mix of brilliance (3 touchdown passes) and futility (2 interceptions and a safety). Doug Williams doesn't have a good game at all, handing us a pick six en route to our biggest ever win. We blow him apart with eight sacks, which might have something to do with it - Burnell Bullard gets credited with 2.5 sacks in an MVP performance. Won 38-5 (5-5)

Away v Dallas Cowboys (7-3)
Three of our last six games are against the NFC East, where the Giants are holding on to a half-game division lead. Huff tosses two picks on our first two drives, and we never recover. Dowling plays the whole second half and throws a touchdown pass...for the Cowboys. We are blanked. Lost 0-38 (5-6)

Home v Buffalo Bills (5-6)
We try to get our season back on track with a home game against the Bills. Leading 6-0 at the break, we fall behind when quarterback Vince Ferragamo lights up the offense. Gerg Wilson restores our lead to 12-7, which we maintain until the dying moments. Ferrgamo has the chance to win the game for Buffalo but tosses a pick six for Max Wilkins, who takes it back to the house! That's our sixth win of the season, a new club record. Won 19-7 (6-6)

Home v Washington Redskins (7-5)
A typically dour game by the home side, although Washington don't blow us out of the park either. The game is notable for no turnovers from the entire Monarchs offense. Way to go, team! Lost 6-20 (6-7.

We are two games behind the current wildcard holders, the Chargers and Browns. But we are only one game out of the AFC South lead. Our path to the playoffs lies in three remaining games, each of which is virtually a playoff game in themselves, provided we actually win them in order. First up, the Colts travel to Wembley with a half-game lead.

Home v Baltimore Colts (7-6)
Our final home game of the year. The Colts lead 8-0 at the break thanks to a pair of field goals and a safety. Our first touchdown is set up by a field goal block which is recovered at midfield. Huff finds Jodat on the ensuring drive. The Colts extend the lead to 11-7 early in the fourth quarter, and miss another field goal attempt. We drive all the way down to the Colts 1 yard line but fail on four attempts to score - failing to run on any occasion! We are too pass-wacky, which is a bad thing with an ordinary quarterback! The Colts are able to run out of trouble, and we run out of time. [i]Lost 7-11 (6-8)

We are hanging by a thread but the permutations for playoffs involve so many results going our way that we are virtually out of contention.

At New York Giants (10-3-1)
Marcos Will has a huge 116 yard game, and Huff tosses 300 yards for the first time (the first Monarchs QB to do so too). Ron Jaworski has a big game of his own, with 77 (!) pass attempts and 346 yards. The game is tied with a Danelo field goal in the final minutes, and the game seems destined to be a tie, when Danelo ends it with another field goal, this time from 53 out. Lost 13-16 in extra time (6-9)

At Houston Oilers (7-7-1
Two teams with nothing to play for, given that the Colts sealed the division last week. We go into the Astrodome and beat a flat Oilers team to finish the season on seven wins. Huff looks like a franchise quarterback for the second week in a row, this time tossing 287 yards and three scores. Houston make the score seem closer than it actually was with a late touchdown, but the result was never really in doubt. Won 31-28 (7-9)

Code:
1978 Summary for London Monarchs Year 1978 Record 7-9 Winning Pct. .437 All-Time 16-32 Winning Pct. .333 Playoffs 0-0 Playoff Visits 0 Bowl Wins 0 Head Coach K.C. Beckam Record 16-32 Winning Pct. .333 Off. Coord. J. Martin Def. Coord. G. Crane Asst. Coach J. Cornplow Stren. Coord. C. Runowski London Monarchs Team Rank Rushes per Game 22.3 28 Rushing Yards 70.1 30 Yards Per Carry 3.15 31 Pass Attempts 39.7 7 Completions 21.8 20 Completion Pct. 55.0 31 Passing Yards 225.4 17 Yards Per Attempt 5.68 25 Yards Per Catch 10.34 10 (T) Total Yardage Gained 271.5 28 3rd Down Conversions 25.8 30 Points Per Game 15.8 27 Pass Rush Pct. 17.5 27 (T) Pass Defense Pct. 59.3 6 Turnovers 28 14 (T) Turnover Margin +4 10 (T) Opponents Team Rank Rushes per Game 29.3 30 Rushing Yards 117.8 28 Yards Per Carry 4.03 25 Pass Attempts 40.4 30 Completions 23.6 24 Completion Pct. 58.5 5 Passing Yards 237.1 24 Yards Per Attempt 5.87 7 Yards Per Catch 10.04 16 Total Yardage Gained 342.8 30 3rd Down Conversions 34.5 27 Points Per Game 19.8 15 Pass Rush Pct. 25.9 32 Pass Defense Pct. 61.7 26 Turnovers 32 9 Week Team Versus Oppnt 1 33 at BAR 25 2 20 PHI 17 3 17 at SD 23 4 10 CIN 33 5 5 CLE 3 6 7 at BAL 37 7 19 at PIT 22 8 15 at TOR 0 9 13 HOU 31 11 38 BAR 5 12 0 at DAL 38 13 19 BUF 7 14 6 WAS 20 15 7 BAL 11 16 13 at NYG 16 17 31 at HOU 28 Passing Pos Att Comp Yards Y/Att TD Int Rate 19 G. Huff QB 585 326 3357 5.74 15 23 64.5 13 B. Dowling QB 41 17 177 4.32 0 1 44.5 **Team --- 635 349 3607 5.68 16 24 64.2 $$Opp --- 646 378 3794 5.87 19 21 71.5 Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD Fum 20 J. Jodat RB 169 598 3.54 4 3 43 C. Davis RB 46 101 2.20 0 2 **Team --- 356 1121 3.15 6 18 $$Opp --- 468 1885 4.03 10 22 Receiving Pos Targ Catch Yards Y/Ctc Y/Tar Drop TD 84 T. Carrell WR 92 57 589 10.33 6.40 4 5 17 J. Perkins WR 122 57 568 9.96 4.66 4 2 80 M. Will WR 107 51 743 14.57 6.94 4 2 20 J. Jodat RB 70 49 356 7.27 5.09 3 2 86 W. Gillette WR 60 33 463 14.03 7.72 8 2 36 B. Smith FB 42 23 140 6.09 3.33 6 1 Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack Hurr Ints Defn PDPct 99 T. Kearney ILB 89 18 0.5 0 2 7 75.3 30 E. Buckner S 77 27 1.0 2 3 7 80.9 38 P. Smith CB 72 26 1.0 0 5 7 79.0 98 D. Lewis OLB 56 16 0.0 0 4 9 82.1 46 M. Wilkins S 49 16 2.0 1 2 11 83.0 91 E. Price DE 48 20 4.5 9 0 1 81.3 21 T. Henke CB 45 16 1.0 0 1 7 76.3 95 T. Fielder DT 43 17 3.0 10 0 1 81.9 53 T. Ruud ILB 42 13 0.0 0 0 3 75.0 47 H. Edwards CB 38 6 0.0 0 1 10 81.1 31 T. Lassic CB 34 9 0.0 1 2 3 77.9 49 G. Reynolds S 32 9 0.0 0 0 5 80.6 92 C. Tittle DT 31 17 2.0 6 0 1 81.8 78 J. Yeates DE 30 13 3.0 13 0 0 80.3 71 D. Reese DT 29 15 5.0 11 0 0 82.5 96 H. Dunn OLB 29 11 1.0 0 0 1 67.6 54 J. Gardner OLB 25 11 1.0 0 0 1 75.6

Last edited by Rawhide : 03-27-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #13
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Ah, well, those things happen (re: the fictional draft class).

Nice read so far! Keep it up!
Old 03-23-2015, 05:34 AM   #14
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
Ah, well, those things happen (re: the fictional draft class).

Nice read so far! Keep it up!

Cheers! I did have a moment of madness yesterday when I casually closed the game without saving the file. So, everything past Week 2 is now redacted! I didn't feel like deleting the whole lot though, so I've simply simmed to the end of the 1976 season and reorganised some of the posts above. Hope it all makes sense now to those who are reading. Although, if you're reading this now, many days/months/years into the future, you're probably thinking WTF is going on? Ah well!

Last edited by Rawhide : 03-23-2015 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #15
britrock88
Pro Starter

Regardless of the hiccup, this is off to a great start.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #16
Rawhide
High School Varsity

1978 Season Summary

AFC Championship Game
Pittsburgh Steelers 31
Oakland Raiders 18
The reigning Super Bowl champions bow out to the Steelers, who have gone 18-0 so far this season, and 35-1 since the start of last year.

NFC Championship Game
New York Giants 31
St Louis Cardinals 15
The Cardinals qualify as a 7-9 division winner (the NFC West was poor as well, meanwhile 10-6 Green Bay and 10-6 Detroit both miss out on the playoffs). St Louis catch fire in the playoffs, smashing Washington 27-0 and upsetting the Bears 24-14, they fall at the final hurdle.

Super Bowl XIII
Pittsburgh Steelers 26
New York Giants 20
Extra Time

The Giants shock the world by pushing the Steelers all the way in what many expected would be a coronation of the NFL's second unbeaten Super Bowl champions. Ron Jaworski comes up huge on the game's first play, an 80 yard touchdown pass, and ties the game late. Terry Bradshaw takes the ball in overtime and never gives it back, completing a pass to Theo Bell for the winning score.

Season Awards
MVP - Terry Bradshaw (Pittsburgh Steelers QB)
Super Bowl MVP - Terry Bradshaw (Pittsburgh Steelers QB)
Offensive Player of the Year - Terry Bradshaw (Pittsburgh Steelers QB)
Defensive Player of the Year - Too Tall Jones (Dallas Cowboys LDE)
Offensive Rookie of the Year - Earl Campbell (Philadelphia Eagles RB)
Defensive Rookie of the Year - Tom Pridemore (Green Bay Packers SS)

We have our first All-League player! Punter Billy Van Heusen had an enormous 6365 yards on the season.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #17
Rawhide
High School Varsity

We keep our staff intact for 1979. Nine teams change their head coaches. The candidate for our position in 1978 (when we were contemplating releasing KC Morton) has since signed on as the Huskies' new head coach.

We can make just 11 free agent offers, with a rating cap of 44 for defense and 43 for offense. With the 12th overall pick, it looks being a consolidation year as far as roster management is concerned. There is a home-run prospect at the top of the draft board, and it seems Barcelona will pick a quarterback for the second year in a row. This particular selection could make life VERY tough for us for the next ten years though.

11 original Monarchs from 1976 are still on the roster. The worst-rated of these is RDE Burnell Bullard (29/29), who is owed $3m over the next three seasons. He has been hamstrung (pardon the pun) with injury since he got his pay day. He's cut.

We need better play from our backfield. Jim Jodat isn't really suited for the starting role. We sign Mike Thomas (40/40) from the Redskins, and Lynn Boden (43/43) from the Lions to bolster our line.

On the defensive side of the ball, Brison Manor (43/43 - Bears), Cleveland Elam (44/44 - 49ers) and Bernie Jackson (42/42) are our major additions.

Top Ten Free Agent Moves (as per Grey Sheet)
FL Johnny Rodgers (52/52) - San Diego ---> Washington
LDT Jim Bailey (51/51) - Atlanta ---> Green Bay
RDE Brison Manor (43/43) - Chicago ---> London
RT Bob McKay (40/40) - New England --> Detroit
NT Cleveland Elam (43/43) - Detroit ---> London
NT Earl Edwards (39/39) - Cleveland ---> Mexico City
RDE Mack Mitchell (38/38) - Cleveland ---> Seattle
RB Mike Thomas (40/40) - Washington ---> London
RB Stan Fritts (38/39) - Tampa Bay ---> Philadelphia
LDE Walt Patulski (37/37) - Baltimore ---> New Orleans

I resolve that if the Dragons do indeed pass on the 'can't-pass' quarterback prospect, I will move heaven and earth to move up into the second slot to grab him.

1.01 - Barcelona Dragons - RB Ottis Anderson (52/62)

Madness! The Dragons already have Tony Dorsett, rookie of the year, on their roster.

We urgently hit the phones to the Aztecs, who hold the second overall pick. We are able to work out a deal, with Emmett Buckner (44/44), two firsts and two seconds making their way to Mexico City. In return, we get the second overall pick in the 1979 draft.

Welcome to London, Joesph Clifford Montana Jr.

1.02 - London Monarchs - QB Joe Montana (31/73)
1.03 - San Francisco 49ers - SLB Joel Williams (43/70)
1.04 - Toronto Huskies - QB Phil Simms (17/47)
1.05 - New Orleans Saints - QB Steve Dils (14/53)
1.06 - Los Angeles Rams - QB Jack Thompson (10/43)
1.07 - Atlanta Falcons - RT John Giesler (43/60)
1.08 - Philadelphia Eagles - LCB Dwayne Woodruff (36/58)
1.09 - New York Jets - TE Kellen Winslow (49/58)
1.10 - Cincinnati Bengals - RB James Owens (31/41)

The rest of our draft pans out this way:

3.10 - London Monarchs - CB Donald Sykes (18/37)
4.13 - London Monarchs - SE Drew Hill (28/44)
5.12 - London Monarchs - FS Brenard Wilson (20/26)
6.11 - London Monarchs - RB James Mayberry (20/22)
6.21 - London Monarchs - LDE Jim Ramey (12/27)
7.10 - London Monarchs - LCB Craig Henderson (6/7)

Gee there is a lot of quality at the bottom of the draft!

After our draft is over, we send MLB Tom Ruud to the Falcons for a scrub and a fifth rounder in 1980.

Pre-Season
Lost 7-34 at Los Angeles
Won 29-18 v Detroit
Lost 20-24 v St Louise
Won 13-10 at Chicago

For the first time, we aren't ranked 32nd going into the new season! Everyone is still looking up at the Steelers, who are ranked 26 points superior to the second-placed Chargers.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #18
Rawhide
High School Varsity

A quick-sim of our fourth season. It's a shocker.

Code:
1979 Summary for London Monarchs Year 1979 Record 3-13 Winning Pct. .187 All-Time 19-45 Winning Pct. .296 Playoffs 0-0 Playoff Visits 0 Bowl Wins 0 Head Coach K.C. Beckam Record 19-45 Winning Pct. .296 Off. Coord. J. Martin Def. Coord. G. Crane Asst. Coach J. Cornplow Stren. Coord. C. Runowski London Monarchs Team Rank Rushes per Game 18.8 30 Rushing Yards 61.3 31 Yards Per Carry 3.27 29 Pass Attempts 40.7 4 Completions 23.5 7 Completion Pct. 57.8 28 Passing Yards 217.8 19 Yards Per Attempt 5.35 30 Yards Per Catch 9.27 30 Total Yardage Gained 256.8 30 3rd Down Conversions 27.4 27 Points Per Game 16.1 29 Pass Rush Pct. 18.9 22 (T) Pass Defense Pct. 46.3 18 (T) Turnovers 29 22 (T) Turnover Margin -3 18 (T) Opponents Team Rank Rushes per Game 33.6 32 Rushing Yards 131.6 31 Yards Per Carry 3.91 18 (T) Pass Attempts 31.8 2 Completions 20.3 4 Completion Pct. 63.9 22 (T) Passing Yards 214.1 8 Yards Per Attempt 6.73 23 Yards Per Catch 10.54 25 (T) Total Yardage Gained 330.6 28 3rd Down Conversions 37.1 29 Points Per Game 23.4 29 Pass Rush Pct. 25.1 30 Pass Defense Pct. 50.3 21 Turnovers 26 19 (T) Week Team Versus Oppnt 1 22 BAL 23 2 22 at TB 34 3 10 CIN 11 4 9 NYJ 16 5 13 MIA 34 6 23 at BAL 41 7 30 HOU 6 9 6 at BUF 24 10 12 at NE 31 11 23 BAR 10 12 24 MEX 20 13 0 at DEN 27 14 20 ATL 21 15 10 at HOU 13 16 9 at NO 27 17 24 at BAR 37 Passing Pos Att Comp Yards Y/Att TD Int Rate 10 J. Montana QB 624 371 3422 5.48 16 13 74.3 **Team --- 651 376 3485 5.35 16 15 71.1 $$Opp --- 509 325 3426 6.73 19 15 83.5 Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD Fum 24 M. Thomas RB 171 549 3.21 1 3 20 J. Jodat RB 99 270 2.73 0 1 **Team --- 300 980 3.27 1 29 $$Opp --- 538 2105 3.91 13 22 Receiving Pos Targ Catch Yards Y/Ctc Y/Tar Drop TD 89 W. Williams WR 145 82 774 9.44 5.34 13 4 20 J. Jodat RB 82 61 328 5.38 4.00 3 0 17 J. Perkins WR 106 53 587 11.08 5.54 7 4 80 M. Will WR 89 44 540 12.27 6.07 4 2 36 B. Smith FB 38 32 260 8.13 6.84 1 2 83 D. Hill WR 67 30 285 9.50 4.25 6 1 24 M. Thomas RB 25 23 233 10.13 9.32 1 1 87 D. Ramsey TE 34 18 173 9.61 5.09 4 1 Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack Hurr Ints Defn PDPct 98 D. Lewis OLB 69 21 6.0 2 6 8 85.6 99 T. Kearney ILB 64 28 1.5 2 1 2 75.9 93 C. Elam DT 58 27 5.0 10 0 0 82.2 44 R. Rogers CB 56 18 0.0 0 0 3 71.1 47 H. Edwards CB 53 23 0.0 0 2 1 75.9 27 N. Colzie S 51 23 0.5 0 2 11 84.7 49 G. Reynolds S 51 11 0.0 0 0 2 70.0 41 B. Jackson S 45 17 0.0 0 1 4 80.6 51 E. Bradley ILB 44 12 0.0 0 2 1 80.2 31 T. Lassic CB 44 12 0.0 0 0 3 73.6 95 T. Fielder DT 39 6 3.5 4 0 1 81.5 59 S. Clancy ILB 39 10 0.5 0 1 3 76.3 39 T. Casanova S 36 12 0.0 0 0 4 77.2 71 D. Reese DT 36 11 3.5 5 0 1 81.5 73 B. Manor DE 34 15 7.5 7 0 0 81.6 90 D. McClain OLB 31 14 0.5 0 0 3 72.5 96 H. Dunn OLB 27 6 0.0 0 0 0 64.9 91 E. Price DE 24 9 4.0 10 0 0 81.2 77 B. Bennett DE 22 17 3.5 8 0 0 80.3 78 J. Yeates DE 20 14 4.0 6 0 0 81.5

A serious regression from 1978's fighting season.

The worst part is that Mexico City own our first overall pick, so having a 3-13 record isn't even remotely helpful for us.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #19
Rawhide
High School Varsity

1979 Season Summary

AFC Championship Game
Pittsburgh Steelers 20
Buffalo Bills 13

NFC Championship Game
Chicago Bears 21
Washington Redskins 10

Super Bowl XIV
Chicago Bears 24
Pittsburgh Steelers 21

Season Awards
Super Bowl MVP - Mike Hartenstine (Chicago Bears LDE)
Defensive Player of the Year - Too Tall Jones (Dallas Cowboys LDE)
Offensive Rookie of the Year - Tony Nathan (Pittsburgh Steelers RB)
Defensive Rookie of the Year - Jerry Robinson (Detroit Lions MLB)

Dave Lewis is our first positional player named to the All-League first team, while Gerg Wilson gets a spot as second team kicker.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:48 PM   #20
timmae
College Starter

Joe Montana is quite the catch.... Dorsett and my man Otis in the same backfield. Ouch!
Old 03-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #21
britrock88
Pro Starter

Shoot. Do you get pick #33 at least? Or do the Aztecs have your #1 and #2 this year?

(I'm reminded of a Madden dynasty in college where my buddy moved the Ravens to MXC... he went with Olmecs. I like the trend, though.)
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:10 AM   #22
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmae View Post
Joe Montana is quite the catch.... Dorsett and my man Otis in the same backfield. Ouch!

Too good to pass up. Plus it helps considerably with my built-in ratings cap for offense...might be able to make a decent FA acquisition or two now.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:15 AM   #23
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Shoot. Do you get pick #33 at least? Or do the Aztecs have your #1 and #2 this year?

(I'm reminded of a Madden dynasty in college where my buddy moved the Ravens to MXC... he went with Olmecs. I like the trend, though.)

Argh, thanks for the reminder. The Aztecs have both my first and second rounders this year. They will pick second and tenth overall. The Monarchs don't get a selection until 67th overall, unless I move up somehow.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:48 AM   #24
Rawhide
High School Varsity

KC Beckam survives the cut as head coach, but his backside is firmly planted on the hot seat.

The rest of our staff is unchanged.

We extend several contracts, most notably Herman Edwards.

Gary Huff is released. We have our quarterback.

Our free agent ratings cap is 55 for offense, 49 for defense. $27 million in cap space, and we can make 15 offers.

Gregory Reynolds, who started in 25 games since 1976, left as a free agent and joined the Dolphins.

Only one stellar free agent signing - and it's not ours. RB Rickey Young is just outside our ratings cap, and leaves the Chargers for the Bills.

The top ten of the draft shakes out like this:

1.01 - Barcelona Dragons - LT Anthony Munoz (42/83)
1.02 - Mexico City Aztecs (via London Monarchs) - RB Billy Sims (49/63)
1.03 - New York Giants- RB Gerry Ellis (35/56)
1.04 - Toronto Huskies - T Tunch Ilkin (33/63)
1.05 - New Orleans Saints - CB Roynell Young (31/65)
1.06 - New Orleans Saints (via Detroit Lions) - DE Rulon Jones (32/51)
1.07 - Minnesota Vikings - QB Dave Krieg (15/50)
1.08 - St Louis Cardinals - DT Steve McMichael (42/61)
1.09 - Denver Broncos - T Karl Swanke (31/52)
1.10 - Mexico City Aztecs - ILB Larry McGrew (30/59)

There is a ton of draft pick trading in the second round.

My rookies are anything but stellar.

3.03 - FB Matt Suhey (27/54)
4.02 - MLB Rick Razzano (20/40)
5.01 - LCB Eric Hurst (16/19)
6.03 - WLB Makoa Stoutmire (10/22)
7.02 - FL Virgil Seay (12/21)
Old 03-31-2015, 06:07 AM   #25
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Quick Sim 1980

We improve to 5-11.

Four of our losses were by a touchdown or less.

Montana maxes out at 71/71. Now we need to improve the pieces around him, as the running game is still putrid.

Code:
1980 Summary for London Monarchs Year 1980 Record 5-11 Winning Pct. .312 All-Time 24-56 Winning Pct. .300 Playoffs 0-0 Playoff Visits 0 Bowl Wins 0 Head Coach K.C. Beckam Record 24-56 Winning Pct. .300 Off. Coord. J. Martin Def. Coord. G. Crane Asst. Coach J. Cornplow Stren. Coord. C. Runowski London Monarchs Team Rank Rushes per Game 18.7 32 Rushing Yards 57.3 32 Yards Per Carry 3.07 27 Pass Attempts 39.8 4 Completions 24.2 8 (T) Completion Pct. 60.8 21 Passing Yards 236.1 16 Yards Per Attempt 5.94 24 Yards Per Catch 9.76 26 Total Yardage Gained 266.3 30 3rd Down Conversions 25.4 32 Points Per Game 18.2 21 (T) Pass Rush Pct. 16.2 30 (T) Pass Defense Pct. 45.1 24 Turnovers 37 31 Turnover Margin -6 25 Opponents Team Rank Rushes per Game 31.6 32 Rushing Yards 117.8 30 Yards Per Carry 3.73 18 Pass Attempts 35.3 11 (T) Completions 23.1 19 Completion Pct. 65.5 26 Passing Yards 239.6 22 Yards Per Attempt 6.78 23 Yards Per Catch 10.36 19 Total Yardage Gained 347.6 28 3rd Down Conversions 30.0 8 (T) Points Per Game 24.4 29 Pass Rush Pct. 23.2 30 Pass Defense Pct. 52.4 21 Turnovers 31 12 (T) Week Team Versus Oppnt 1 13 HOU 32 2 29 at DET 40 3 9 NYJ 26 4 7 OAK 17 6 23 BAL 20 7 26 at HOU 20 8 19 at KC 17 9 24 DEN 34 10 7 at SD 20 11 16 at BAR 13 12 9 MIN 13 13 22 at CLE 24 14 30 at CHI 27 15 7 BAR 27 16 33 GB 36 17 17 at BAL 24 Passing Pos Att Comp Yards Y/Att TD Int Rate 10 J. Montana QB 630 385 3756 5.96 14 22 70.7 **Team --- 636 387 3777 5.94 14 22 70.4 $$Opp --- 565 370 3833 6.78 19 20 81.4 Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD Fum 20 J. Jodat RB 149 435 2.92 4 3 33 J. Mayberry RB 80 231 2.89 1 2 10 J. Montana QB 34 140 4.12 0 10 **Team --- 299 917 3.07 7 27 $$Opp --- 505 1885 3.73 15 27 Receiving Pos Targ Catch Yards Y/Ctc Y/Tar Drop TD 89 W. Williams WR 147 82 916 11.17 6.23 17 0 80 M. Will WR 108 57 609 10.68 5.64 12 3 83 D. Hill WR 101 55 618 11.24 6.12 12 3 20 J. Jodat RB 60 46 256 5.57 4.27 3 2 17 J. Perkins WR 61 39 450 11.54 7.38 1 3 23 M. Hubbard FB 42 32 182 5.69 4.33 2 0 87 D. Ramsey TE 41 31 423 13.65 10.32 0 0 33 J. Mayberry RB 20 16 102 6.38 5.10 2 2 Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack Hurr Ints Defn PDPct 56 M. Johnson ILB 75 30 1.0 2 0 7 77.0 37 D. Jauron S 72 27 2.5 0 3 7 81.4 98 D. Lewis OLB 65 18 2.0 4 2 5 76.6 47 H. Edwards CB 61 21 1.5 1 3 11 80.0 39 T. Casanova S 55 21 0.0 0 2 2 74.1 50 D. Rozumek ILB 53 14 0.0 0 3 0 75.0 44 R. Rogers CB 51 16 0.0 0 1 4 72.2 27 N. Colzie S 48 14 0.0 1 3 3 79.8 21 T. Henke CB 44 10 0.0 0 3 8 79.4 93 C. Elam DT 42 21 1.5 9 0 0 81.1 76 H. Jones DE 36 14 3.0 6 0 0 79.7 90 D. McClain OLB 34 8 1.5 2 0 2 73.9 97 L. Stone DT 34 15 1.0 2 0 0 81.5 54 B. Davis OLB 34 11 0.0 0 0 1 67.7 73 B. Manor DE 26 10 5.5 12 0 1 82.7 70 J. Sauer DT 26 11 3.5 3 0 0 79.8 78 J. Yeates DE 22 5 1.0 5 0 0 82.0 95 T. Fielder DT 20 9 1.5 2 0 0 81.1 77 B. Bennett DE 19 10 1.5 8 0 0 79.9 59 S. Clancy ILB 19 6 0.0 0 0 0 53.9
Old 03-31-2015, 06:13 AM   #26
Rawhide
High School Varsity

NFL 1980 Season in Review

AFC Championship Game
Pittsburgh Steelers 23
Oakland Raiders 6

NFC Championship Game
Dallas Cowboys 42
Green Bay Packers 31

Super Bowl XV
Pittsburgh Steelers 37
Dallas Cowboys 12

Season Awards
Defensive Player of the Year - Robert Brazile (Houston Oilers SLB)
Offensive Rookie of the Year - Billy Sims (Mexico City Aztecs RB)
Defensive Rookie of the Year - Bobby Leopard (Green Bay Packers SLB)
Old 03-31-2015, 07:15 AM   #27
Rawhide
High School Varsity

1981 Pre-Season

Huskies tackle Tunch Ilkin retires after experiencing an extremely serious head injury during his rookie season.

KC Beckam is sacked. He went 24-58 during five years as head coach of the Monarchs.

Our new head coach is former Washington Redskins coach Junior Nutter.

He has a 43-40 record in the last five years, taking the Redskins to the 1979 NFC Championship game, before suffering a 3-13 collapse last year. Importantly, he is highly ranked in the area of quarterbacks, which will help Montana immensely.

We make a new start at offensive coordinator, sacking Jamal Martin after four unsuccessful seasons. Rod Gonzalez is our new man. Martin lands on his feet with the Chiefs.

Dave Lewis receives the franchise tag, worth $4m for this year.

We pick fifth overall in the draft, and there are at least six running back prospects worth investigating. Looks like that's where our draft pick is going this year.

In free agency, we make an early splash, getting Mean Joe Green and Theo Bell from the world champion Steelers. Ted Petersen from the Browns bolsters our offensive line, while we also get Franco Harris from Pittsburgh to help our running game.

Harris has not started for the Steelers since 1978, and currently has severe anxiety. It is a risk signing him to our roster, but he may be able to act as a mentor for whoever we draft at fifth overall.

Alright, off to the draft.

1.01 - Mexico City Aztecs - QB Neil Lomax (18/58)
1.02 - Barcelona Dragons - RB Joe Delaney (55/63)

What are the Dragons planning to do, split the ball three ways?

1.03 - Washington Redskins - RB James Brooks (55/67)
1.04 - New Orleans Saints - RT Joe Jacoby (38/71)

We grab the best rated RB on the board (in our opinions)

1.05 - London Monarchs - RB Freeman McNeil (41/47)
1.06 - Detroit Lions - RB James Wilder (43/63)

Ouch

1.07 - New England Patriots - RB George Rogers (47/62)

Double ouch

1.08 - New York Giants - LCB Eric Wright (50/68)
1.09 - Houston Oilers - LDE Howie Long (35/54)
1.10 - Toronto Huskies - RB Stump Mitchell (52/54)

Triple ouch.

Looks like I might have struck out on the running back bonanza.

2.05 - RDE Greg Brown (25/41)
3.05 - LCB Willie Teal (24/33)
4.05 - WLB John Woodring (17/28)
5.05 - FS Todd Bell (17/38)
6.05 - FL Mark McGrath (12/27)
7.05 - RCB Steve Trimble (14/26)

For some reason, we are rated highly in the power rankings heading into the 1981 season.

Is this our breakout season coming up?
Old 03-31-2015, 07:28 AM   #28
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Yeah....nah....
Montana misses the first five weeks of the season and we never really get off the ground.

Code:
1981 Summary for London Monarchs Year 1981 Record 5-11 Winning Pct. .312 All-Time 29-67 inning Pct. .302 Playoffs 0-0 Playoff Visits 0 Bowl Wins 0 Head Coach Junior Nutter Record 50-51 Winning Pct. .495 Off. Coord. R. Gonzalez Def. Coord. G. Crane Asst. Coach J. Cornplow Stren. Coord. C. Runowski London Monarchs Team Rank Rushes per Game 16.7 32 Rushing Yards 50.6 31 Yards Per Carry 3.03 30 Pass Attempts 40.9 8 Completions 25.0 9 Completion Pct. 61.1 20 Passing Yards 277.6 3 Yards Per Attempt 6.78 9 (T) Yards Per Catch 11.11 4 Total Yardage Gained 301.7 22 3rd Down Conversions 30.2 27 Points Per Game 18.8 23 Pass Rush Pct. 14.3 32 Pass Defense Pct. 38.1 27 Turnovers 18 1 (T) Turnover Margin +2 12 (T) Opponents Team Rank Rushes per Game 30.3 30 Rushing Yards 101.7 24 Yards Per Carry 3.36 6 Pass Attempts 34.8 5 Completions 24.1 24 Completion Pct. 69.2 32 Passing Yards 262.6 31 Yards Per Attempt 7.56 32 Yards Per Catch 10.91 28 Total Yardage Gained 351.6 32 3rd Down Conversions 40.2 32 Points Per Game 23.2 25 (T) Pass Rush Pct. 23.8 30 Pass Defense Pct. 44.7 13 Turnovers 20 26 (T) Week Team Versus Oppnt 1 27 BAR 24 2 3 at LA 13 3 13 at BUF 26 4 6 CIN 27 5 20 CLE 23 6 17 BAL 16 7 34 at PIT 31 8 10 at TOR 26 9 17 HOU 20 11 21 at BAR 35 12 32 STL 29 13 11 DEN 24 14 20 at SEA 24 15 27 at BAL 3 16 19 SF 21 17 23 at HOU 29 Passing Pos Att Comp Yards Y/Att TD Int Rate 10 J. Montana QB 490 303 3475 7.09 19 6 91.0 7 E. Oliver QB 98 61 600 6.12 1 2 74.4 18 S. Hunter QB 67 36 367 5.48 1 1 68.4 **Team --- 655 400 4442 6.78 21 9 86.2 $$Opp --- 556 385 4202 7.56 23 15 93.8 Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD Fum 42 F. McNeil RB 166 527 3.17 3 4 20 J. Jodat RB 61 144 2.36 1 0 **Team --- 267 809 3.03 4 23 $$Opp --- 484 1627 3.36 12 15 Receiving Pos Targ Catch Yards Y/Ctc Y/Tar Drop TD 83 D. Hill WR 164 92 1097 11.92 6.69 14 6 81 T. Bell WR 135 90 1168 12.98 8.65 5 7 42 F. McNeil RB 72 52 428 8.23 5.94 2 0 89 W. Williams WR 85 48 690 14.38 8.12 6 4 20 J. Jodat RB 46 35 234 6.69 5.09 2 1 80 M. Will WR 49 26 283 10.88 5.78 5 2 87 D. Ramsey TE 29 20 228 11.40 7.86 0 0 Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack Hurr Ints Defn PDPct 56 M. Johnson ILB 74 32 1.5 2 2 8 79.2 50 D. Rozumek ILB 73 22 2.0 2 2 2 72.7 98 D. Lewis OLB 69 24 2.0 1 2 11 78.9 44 R. Rogers CB 65 18 0.0 0 1 4 75.1 35 B. Hardee CB 62 11 0.0 0 1 7 75.4 27 N. Colzie S 61 14 2.0 0 3 6 76.2 26 A. Floyd S 57 13 0.0 0 1 4 76.9 94 J. Greene DT 49 25 6.5 6 0 1 82.2 38 M. Reinfeldt S 47 14 1.0 0 1 1 74.7 47 H. Edwards CB 45 16 0.5 1 0 4 73.9 92 T. Jackson OLB 42 10 0.0 0 0 2 69.8 78 J. Yeates DE 38 13 4.5 7 0 0 81.3 97 L. Stone DT 37 19 1.5 6 0 1 82.8 76 H. Jones DE 29 9 4.5 9 0 0 81.1 93 C. Elam DT 27 10 3.5 4 0 0 79.9 37 D. Jauron S 16 8 0.0 0 1 1 81.2 21 T. Henke CB 16 5 0.0 0 1 0 71.6

We finish last in the AFC South for the very first time, as Barcelona finishes 8-8. They would have made the wildcard places were it not for losing four of the last five games.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:33 AM   #29
Rawhide
High School Varsity

NFL 1981 Season in Review

AFC Championship Game
Pittsburgh Steelers 30
New England Patriots 17

NFC Championship Game
Seattle Seahawks 37
Dallas Cowboys 13
The Seahawks become the first member of the 1976 expansion class to make a Super Bowl.

Super Bowl XVI
Seattle Seahawks 22
Pittsburgh Steelers 21
Quarterback Danny White leads the Seahawks to a 19 point fourth quarter en route to Seattle's first ever Super Bowl victory!

Season Awards
MVP - Walter Payton (Chicago Bears RB)
Super Bowl MVP - Danny White (Seattle Seahawks QB)
Offensive Player of the Year - Walter Payton (Chicago Bears RB)
Defensive Player of the Year - Harvey Martin (Dallas Cowboys RDE)
Offensive Rookie of the Year - George Rogers (New England Patriots RB)
Defensive Rookie of the Year - Eric Wright (New York Giants LCB)
Old 04-01-2015, 04:39 AM   #30
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Wow what a Super Bowl!
Old 04-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #31
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn
Wow what a Super Bowl!

It was pretty nuts!

Raced through the 1982 season.

Gave Montana a contract extension through to the end of 1986.

Keith Willis was our first round draft pick at third overall.

Enough of the details, let's get the year over and done with.

Code:
1982 Summary for London Monarchs Year 1982 Record 5-11 Winning Pct. .312 All-Time 34-78 Winning Pct. .303 Playoffs 0-0 Playoff Visits 0 Bowl Wins 0 Head Coach Junior Nutter Record 55-62 Winning Pct. .470 Off. Coord. R. Gonzalez Def. Coord. G. Crane Asst. Coach J. Cornplow Stren. Coord. D. Lyon London Monarchs Team Rank Rushes per Game 19.1 28 (T) Rushing Yards 66.2 29 Yards Per Carry 3.46 20 Pass Attempts 42.1 5 Completions 24.9 7 Completion Pct. 59.2 25 Passing Yards 273.3 4 Yards Per Attempt 6.49 10 (T) Yards Per Catch 10.96 8 Total Yardage Gained 309.9 18 3rd Down Conversions 27.2 30 Points Per Game 18.3 22 Pass Rush Pct. 17.8 27 Pass Defense Pct. 43.8 23 Turnovers 29 17 (T) Turnover Margin 0 14 (T) Opponents Team Rank Rushes per Game 28.6 27 Rushing Yards 105.1 24 Yards Per Carry 3.68 17 Pass Attempts 36.9 14 Completions 23.4 20 Completion Pct. 63.6 21 Passing Yards 242.6 20 Yards Per Attempt 6.58 21 (T) Yards Per Catch 10.35 18 Total Yardage Gained 339.1 27 3rd Down Conversions 32.3 14 (T) Points Per Game 25.2 30 Pass Rush Pct. 25.3 32 Pass Defense Pct. 58.2 25 Turnovers 29 13 (T) Week Team Versus Oppnt 1 14 at BAL 28 2 9 at PHI 24 3 21 OAK 24 4 19 NYJ 13 5 20 MIA 13 6 31 BAL 30 7 19 at HOU 24 9 20 at BUF 27 10 3 at NE 24 11 27 BAR 41 12 7 at DAL 32 13 9 at CIN 17 14 30 WAS 27 15 20 HOU 27 16 11 NYG 26 17 33 at BAR 26 Passing Pos Att Comp Yards Y/Att TD Int Rate 10 J. Montana QB 505 296 3188 6.31 14 15 74.1 18 S. Hunter QB 136 85 1023 7.52 6 1 97.2 17 B. Swift QB 33 18 161 4.88 1 2 52.7 **Team --- 674 399 4372 6.49 21 18 77.6 $$Opp --- 590 375 3881 6.58 25 18 83.8 Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD Fum 42 F. McNeil RB 190 740 3.89 5 3 33 J. Mayberry RB 73 180 2.47 1 1 **Team --- 306 1059 3.46 6 23 $$Opp --- 457 1682 3.68 11 19 Receiving Pos Targ Catch Yards Y/Ctc Y/Tar Drop TD 80 M. Will WR 134 78 973 12.47 7.26 12 4 83 D. Hill WR 122 69 907 13.14 7.43 8 3 42 F. McNeil RB 86 61 421 6.90 4.90 0 3 81 T. Bell WR 124 54 714 13.22 5.76 7 4 89 W. Williams WR 63 39 388 9.95 6.16 3 2 33 J. Mayberry RB 25 19 177 9.32 7.08 0 0 49 M. Suhey FB 21 19 147 7.74 7.00 0 1 Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack Hurr Ints Defn PDPct 53 K. Butler ILB 96 32 2.0 8 2 5 73.4 34 M. Murphy S 90 38 1.5 0 2 4 79.3 37 D. Jauron S 77 26 0.0 0 2 4 76.5 47 H. Edwards CB 58 16 0.0 0 1 9 76.5 98 D. Lewis OLB 54 19 0.0 2 3 7 79.5 35 B. Hardee CB 47 10 1.0 1 0 4 75.3 43 T. Jackson CB 44 12 0.0 0 3 8 79.4 97 L. Stone DT 43 13 3.5 5 0 0 82.2 94 J. Greene DT 41 15 1.0 5 0 0 80.4 22 T. Henke CB 36 13 0.0 0 1 4 76.0 96 G. Brown DE 33 20 5.0 12 0 1 81.6 92 T. Jackson OLB 29 8 1.0 0 1 1 70.8 70 J. Sauer DT 28 8 2.0 3 0 0 81.5 71 K. Willis DE 26 10 1.0 15 0 1 81.9 93 C. Elam DT 21 6 2.0 11 0 1 81.8 56 M. Johnson ILB 19 3 1.0 0 1 1 73.9

AFC Championship Game
New York Jets 24
San Diego Chargers 22

NFC Championship Game
Seattle Seahawks 44
New Orleans Saints 16

Super Bowl XVII
Seattle Seahawks 32
New York Jets 17

NFL Awards
Super Bowl MVP - Dan Fouts (Seattle Seahawks QB)
Defensive Player of the Year - Lee Roy Selmon (Tampa Bay Buccaneers LDE)
Offensive Rookie of the Year - Marcus Allen (Green Bay Packers RB)
Defensive Rookie of the Year - Chip Banks (Detroit Lions SLB)
Old 04-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #32
Rawhide
High School Varsity

The London Monarchs Ring of Honour is inaugurated at the end of the 1982 season, when centre Kent de Ossie becomes the first player to qualify.

The Ring is open to players, current or former, who achieve the following standards as Monarchs:

All Players
- 100 career games started

Quarterbacks
- 25000 passing yards, or 200 passing touchdowns

Running Backs and Receivers
- 10000 yards, or 100 touchdowns

Defensive Players
- 25 interceptions, or 500 tackles, or 50 sacks

Special Teams
- 250 field goals, or 1000 points scored, or 10000 all-purpose yards

The criteria may be tightened or loosened as the years progress, but a player cannot be retrospectively tossed out of the Ring once they are in.

=====

We retain our coaches for another year, despite going 5-11 in consecutive seasons.

This is the Elway/Marino/Young draft coming up. We have the fifth overall pick.

We already have our quarterback though, so we like the look of prospects such as OT Jim Mills, RB Curt Warner, ILB Karl Meckenburg, RB Gary Anderson and WR Henry Ellard.

Foundation Monarchs receiver Marcos Will is released, despite coming off his best season in catching 973 yards and 4 touchdowns. His cap number isn't commensurate with his ratings. Will later signs for the Bengals.

Dave Lewis, who had been given the franchise tag for the last two years, leaves for the Bills. In his place we get Woodrow Lowe from the Chargers and Wilson Whitley from the world champion Seahawks.

Cleveland Elam leaves for the Steelers, while Dick Jauron is released and later signs for the Jets.

We pick up TE Emery Moorehead from the Jets as another offensive option for Montana, and former Chiefs LB Jerry Blanton joins us late in free agency.

So, onto the draft. If quarterbacks don't go 1-2-3 I'll be shocked.

1.01 - Detroit Lions - QB John Elway (17/69)
1.02 - Atlanta Falcons - QB Tony Eason (32/62)
1.03 - Miami Dolphins - QB Dan Marino (25/64)

Some nice real-world parallels with Marino here.

1.04 - Cleveland Browns - RB Curt Warner (50/60)

So, no real decision to make here. We must go defense once again.

1.05 - London Monarchs - ILB Karl Meckenberg (46/83)

Yes!!!!

1.06 - Kansas City Chiefs - QB Jim Kelly (20/69)
1.07 - Atlanta Falcons - CB Darrell Green (51/78)
1.08 - St Louis Cardinals - QB Todd Blackledge (17/42)
1.09 - Barcelona Dragons - WR Henry Ellard (46/69)
1.10 - New York Giants - WR Willie Gault (35/43)

2.04 - FS Terry Kinard (27/63)
3.06 - WR Mike Jones (21/28)
4.05 - RCB Robert Sowell (16/27)
5.04 - RDE Greg Townsend (17/29)
6.03 - C Steve Mott (11/40)
7.05 - RB Van Williams (21/23)

Of these picks, only Kinard and maybe Mott appear to have a future in London.

Foundation Monarchs tackle Mackenzie Gist leaves the club after the draft and joins the Falcons. We sign former Chargers linebacker Rich Wingo.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #33
Rawhide
High School Varsity

After the first four weeks of the season, London sit atop the AFC South standings!

A league-lowest two turnovers is a big factor in our success so far, along with the play of our secondary. Mark Murphy returns two pick sixes in our win over the Raiders.

Influenza sweeps the team during our loss to the Browns, and after the bye week we slip back behind the 4-1 Colts and 4-1 Dragons.

We cross the ocean and take on the Colts in their house, and leave with a 13-10 win and the division lead once again.

The Oilers provide a bit of a shock when they prevail in extra time, tipping us out of the playoff positions for the time being.

A mammoth 135 receiving yards from Drew Hill helps us to a big road win at Arrowhead.

The Broncos are no match for a resurgent Monarchs at home, going down 33-10.

Halfway through our season, and we are 6-2. A huge improvement over the two 5-11 seasons we've just endured. That record is good enough for the division lead, although the Colts and Dragons are also 6-2. The Browns are half a step behind at 6-3.

Freeman McNeil is on pace for the first 1000 yard rushing season by a Monarch, with 632 so far. Montana is playing lights out, with 16 touchdown passes and just four picks.

For the fifth time in eight seasons, we travel to San Diego. The Chargers, by contrast, has never had a trip to England. We equal our best win tally with a 16-10 result. The following week, Barcelona spanks us 36-16 and we drop back to the #6 seed in the AFC. Damn it.

Of to Mexico for the very first time, and the Aztecs go down fighting 20-7. That means we'll finish with at worst a 8-8 record for the very first time.

At Joe Robbie Stadium, rookie quarterback Dan Marino hurls a 68 yard touchdown bomb with 4 seconds remaining to defeat London 34-31. Damn damn damn.

We then face our second successive rookie quarterback in the form of Tony Eason and his Falcons. Atlanta leads the game 30-3 when Montana explodes into life, with a little help from Willie Williams:

Code:
3Q: 03:10 LON - Willie Williams 16 pass from Joe Montana (Gerg Wilson extra point) - Falcons 30-10 4Q: 14:31 LON - Gerg Wilson 46 field goal - Falcons 30-13 4Q: 08:26 LON - Willie Williams 10 pass from Joe Montana (Gerg Wilson extra point) - Falcons 30-20 4Q: 08:07 LON - Drew Hill 38 pass from Joe Montana (Gerg Wilson extra point) - Falcons 30-27 4Q: 02:18 LON - Willie Williams 31 pass from Joe Montana (Gerg Wilson extra point) - Monarchs 34-30 4Q: 01:05 LON - Gerg Wilson 42 field goal - Monarchs 37-30

Well.

Celebrations are put on hold though, as we have to go to Nou Camp and take on Barcelona again. The Dragons win 42-13 to sweep the season series, and place us out of the playoff seedings. Damn damn damn!

We take on the 10-4 Saints in our penultimate game. A big win to the Monarchs, who advance to 10-5. We get quite a bit of help from the Aztecs who upset the Dragons, and we nudge ahead again in the AFC standings!

The Colts (12-3) have already locked up the AFC South, but we can make the playoffs with a win in our last home game of 1983. Unfortunately, it just doesn't happen to script, with Bert Jones having a big day out (4 touchdown passes, 350 yards).

But we receive a massive jolt of help with Houston upsetting Barcelona. Add a Pittsburgh Steelers win over the Browns, and it all adds up to London making the playoffs!!!
Old 04-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #34
Rawhide
High School Varsity

1983 Wild Card Game
London Monarchs (10-6) at New England Patriots (9-7)

The Pats are our first playoff opponents in history.

They have a quick start to the game, scoring a field goal on their first drive and forcing a three-and-out. Steve Grogan appears to find Don Bass for a 28 yard touchdown reception on the ensuring drive, but it is called back for illegal use of the hands.

Just before halftime, Mark Murphy forces a Grogan fumble and rookie linebacker Karl Meckenberg recovers to give us possession in the midfield. We can't do anything with it though, and when we give up a fumble of our own, the Patriots capitalise straight away, going up 10-0.

We back New England up in the shadows of halftime, and Montana only requires two passes to find Drew Hill for our first post-season score. The Pats get a field goal before the break and lead by six.

Midway through the third quarter, Gerg Wilson (a foundation player) reduces the gap back to three with a 46 yard field goal. On the final play of the third, Steve Grogan throws his second touchdown pass, and the lead is back to ten. It is a lead the Patriots would not surrender, sacking Montana three times in the final quarter as drive after drive ends in futility.

Code:
1Q: 12:32 NE - John Smith 42 field goal 2Q: 07:55 NE - George Rogers 48 pass from Steve Grogan (John Smith extra point) 2Q: 01:18 LON - Drew Hill 15 pass from Joe Montana (Gerg Wilson extra point) 2Q: 00:24 NE - John Smith 35 field goal 3Q: 06:55 LON - Gerg Wilson 46 field goal 3Q: 00:01 NE - George Rogers 11 pass from Steve Grogan (John Smith extra point)

AFC Championship Game
Pittsburgh Steelers 20
Baltimore Colts 16

NFC Championship Game
Chicago Bears 21
Seattle Seahawks 19
Former Seahawks QB Danny White gets the ultimate revenge for being dumped in favour of Dan Fouts, steering the Bears back to the Super Bowl!

Super Bowl XVIII
Pittsburgh Steelers 30
Chicago Bears 25
The Steelers establish a 27-6 lead at the halftime break and hang on to win their fifth Super Bowl.

NFL Awards
MVP - Bob Avellini (San Diego Chargers QB)
Offensive Player of the Year - Eric Dickerson (Houston Oilers RB)
Defensive Player of the Year - Joel Williams (San Francisco 49ers SLB)
Offensive Rookie of the Year - Eric Dickerson (Houston Oilers RB)
Defensive Rookie of the Year - Byron Darby (New England Patriots RDE)

Dickerson had a tremendous year, gaining 1688 yards and 9 touchdowns, and another 700 yards in receiving.

Two Monarchs players earn the eye of the All-League team judges. Wilson Whitley gets First Team defensive tackle, while Joe Montana is Second Team quarterback.

Overall, a pleasing season!
Old 04-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #35
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Old 04-02-2015, 08:48 PM   #36
Rawhide
High School Varsity

1984 Pre-Season

Junior Nutter gets a new contract to the end of 1987.

RT Ted Petersen and MLB Dave Rozumek depart for Philadelphia and Buffalo respectively. RCB Billy Hardee leaves for Kansas City.

We sign RG Steve Kinney from the Cardinals, and FL Tim Smith from the Aztecs.

For the first time ever, we don't pick in the top ten of the draft.

1.01 - Minnesota Vikings - QB Boomer Esiason (20/74)
1.02 - Buffalo Bills - QB Warren Moon (39/69)
1.03 - Oakland Raiders - QB Steve Young (31/73)
1.04 - Detroit Lions - CB Frank Minnifield (31/66)
1.05 - Denver Broncos - QB Jeff Hostetler (11/63)
1.06 - Atlanta Falcons - ILB Fredd Young (42/68)
1.07 - Tampa Bay Buccanneers - WR Gary Clark (39/68)
1.08 - Mexico City Aztecs - WR Irving Fryar (46/62)
1.09 - St Louis Cardinals - DE Sean Jones (37/65)
1.10 - San Francisco 49ers - OLB Carl Banks (35/50)

1.24 - C Jim Sweeney (29/59)
2.23 - LG Terry Long (21/46)
3.24 - WLB James Haynes (23/28)
4.23 - SLB Johnny Taylor (15/36)
5.24 - RDE Sean McNanie (13/29)
6.23 - QB David Archer (10/27)
7.24 - RCB Ken Nelsen (9/26)

On to 1984. Will Big Brother be coming for London?
Old 04-02-2015, 09:10 PM   #37
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Before the regular season begins, we make a massive, massive, massive trade!

Barcelona gets Freeman McNeil and our 1985 first rounder.
We get Joe Delaney, and Barca's 1985 third and fifth rounders.

Drafted second overall in 1981, Delaney has not started a game for the Dragons, but has over a thousand career yards at 4.37.

Our first game of the season just happens to be against the Dragons - we go down 24-20, with Delaney getting 130 yards, which is a franchise record. Montana leaves the game halfway through, leaving Steve Deberg to finish the game off. Deberg is back as a second-stringer with the Monarchs, and throws his first touchdown pass since 1977 in the process.

Second year quarterback John Elway guides Detroit past London in a 20-19 squeaker.

After getting our first win of 1984 against the Chiefs, we have a historical offensive performance against the Bengals. Montana gets 454 passing yards, Delaney gets 141 on the ground and 117 in the air, while Tim Smith and Drew Hill also get 100 yard games. We outscore the Bengals 26-6 in the second half on the way to a 46-34 win.

Montana tosses four picks in a 28-25 overtime loss to Cleveland. We head back to Baltimore and win 24-17 to be 3-3. Our roadtrip continues with a 30-21 loss to Pittsburgh, and a 20-23 loss to the Huskies.

At halfway, we are 3-5, two games behind the wildcard holders.

Our season is virtually sealed when we lose 22-23 to the Oilers. Houston goes 6-2 on the season, we drop three games behind.

There are signs of life in a 33-3 win against Barcelona, and when we win three games in a row by a combined six points, we are suddenly 7-7 and just one game out of contention.

At Lambeau Field, we beat the Packers narrowly 31-24, and face a do-or-die situation against the Oilers in our last game. If we beat the Oilers (9-6), we have a shot at winning our first division title, although the Dragons (8-7) are also a show.

We fall 21-24 to the Oilers and miss the playoffs. The Dragons and the Aztecs qualify for their first post-season trips.

AFC Championship Game
Houston Oilers 31
Cincinnati Bengals 9

NFC Championship Game
Seattle Seahawks 27
Mexico City Aztecs 6

Super Bowl XIX
Houston Oilers 17
Seattle Seahawks 13

NFL Awards
MVP - George Rogers (New England Patriots RB)
Super Bowl MVP - Stan Blinka (Houston Oilers SILB)
Offensive Player of the Year - George Rogers (New England Patriots RB)
Defensive Player of the Year - Robert Brazile (Houston Oilers SLB)
Offensive Rookie of the Year - Irving Fryar (Mexico City Aztecs WR)
Defensive Player of the Year - Shaun Gayle (Washington Redskins SS)
Old 04-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #38
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Old 04-03-2015, 05:47 AM   #39
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Our tenth season begins with our staff staying intact.

We won't pick until midway through the second round. Barcelona has our 11th overall pick after the Joe Delaney trade.

The Colts take Bernie Kosar with the first overall pick. Our first pick is defensive end Earl Wilson.

The whole off-season is a bit of a snooze, to be honest. We have a ton of trade offers for Joe Delaney, but they're all rejected.

We are ranked #1 heading into the season. I wonder why?

With a quarter of the season gone we are 2-2. Our two losses are by a combined three points. Montana is on pace to throw 40 touchdowns. If he does, he will be the first since Terry Bradshaw threw 41 scores in 1980.

Halfway through, 4-4. Half a game behind Houston, who are 5-4. Our two losses were by one point and then four. If nothing else, we are competitive - right in every game.

Well, that little competitive streak ends when the Pats blow us out 23-3 at home. We then lose at Barcelona, and our season is basically over. We haven't won at Nou Camp since 1982.

Looking at the standings, maybe we are still in this. All the other teams sit at 5-5, we are 4-6. We go to St Louis and the 8-2 Cardinals continue their great season beating us 24-14.

The season of disappointment is underlined when the Raiders get their second win of the season, holding us to a single field goal in the process.

The rest of the season is basically a blur. And it's over.

AFC Championship Game
San Diego Chargers 28
Toronto Huskies 23

NFC Championship Game
San Francisco 49ers 30
Green Bay Packers 10

Super Bowl XX
San Diego Chargers 28
San Francisco 49ers 22

NFL Awards
MVP - Eric Dickerson (Houston Oilers RB)
Super Bowl MVP - Edgerrin Cope (San Diego Chargers QB)
Offensive Player of the Year - Eric Dickerson (Houston Oilers RB)
Defensive Player of the Year - Gary Barbaro (Kansas City Chiefs SS)
Offensive Rookie of the Year - Herschel Walker (New York Jets RB)
Defensive Rookie of the Year - Bret Clark (Houston Oilers SS)

We have three players named to the All-League First Team.
QB Joe Montana
WR Tim Smith
ILB Karl Mecklenberg

And thus ends ten years of Monarchs football.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:32 AM   #40
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Well, I lost most of the post I was going to type here.

Some off-season news:

* Foundation centre Kent de Ossie retired, leaving just Bert Alcott and Gerg Wilson from the class of 1976 still on the roster.
* Former coach KC Beckam is now in charge of our rivals Barcelona.
* Terry Bradshaw retired, ending a wildly successful career in Pittsburgh.
* Keith Willis was traded to the Huskies for guard Mike Munchak.
* We took defensive tackle Alvin Wright with the seventh overall pick
* Montana, Delaney and Mecklenberg got big extensions, foreshadowing salary cap problems in future.
* Following complaints from many NFL franchises about the regular disruption caused by international travel, it is rumoured that the AFC South will be re-established as AFC Europe in the not-to-distant future. Watch this space.

We lose fullback Matt Suhey and safety Mark Murphy for the entire 1986 season before a ball is snapped due to injury.

The season is largely forgetable, as we stumble out of the blocks and fall quickly behind the pace. Same old story for the Monarchs. The highlight is a 23-20 win against the Dragons at Barcelona, our first win there since 1982.

Junior Nutter is sacked mid-season after we lose a home game to the Dolphins, and Jared Cornplow takes over for the rest of the season. It's a lost cause.

Barcelona finished 14-2 and coasted all the way into the Super Bowl, the first international side to do so. Bastards.

AFC Championship Game
Barcelona Dragons 27
Cincinnati Bengals 17

NFC Championship Game
Detroit Lions 27
New York Giants 17

Super Bowl XXI
Detroit Lions 26
Barcelona Dragons 7

NFL Awards
MVP - John Elway (Detroit Lions QB)
Super Bowl MVP - John Elway (Detroit Lions QB)
Offensive Player of the Year - John Elway (Detroit Lions QB)
Defensive Player of the Year - Kenny Easley (Minnesota Vikings CB)
Offensive Rookie of the Year - Neal Anderson (Oakland Raiders RB)
Defensive Rookie of the Year - Pepper Johnson (Los Angeles Rams MLB)
Old 04-04-2015, 12:55 AM   #41
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Massive changes.

We have a completely new coaching staff.

Head Coach Dwight Ford (Dallas assistant coach 1976-1986)
Offensive Coordinator Levon Loudon (Tampa Bay head coach 1984-1986)
Defensive Coordinator Richard Marsh (Seattle assistant coach 1976-1986)
Assistant Coach Thurman Wilde (no previous NFL experience)
Strength Coordinator Derrick Oliver (Atlanta strength coordinator 1979-1984)

Rod Gonzalez joins the Oakland Raiders as offensive coordinator.
Gino Crane is the new Dallas Cowboys assistant coach, and a head coach candidate for 1988.
Junior Nutter is taking a sabbatical during 1987.

We trade away Joe Montana. He is now a Ram. We get their 1987 first rounder (17th overall) in return.

In free agency, defensive tackle Wilson Whitley departs for Seattle. We get Giants quarterback Wade Wilson, who went undrafted in 1981, on a four year contract. Also signing are guard John Scully (Cincinnati) and safety Michael Downs (Denver).

1.01 - Miami Dolphins - RB Bo Jackson (59/72)
1.02 - London Monarchs - SE Cris Carter (46/63)
1.03 - Oakland Raiders - RT Harris Barton (38/74)
1.04 - Green Bay Packers - QB Steve Beuerlein (19/55)
1.05 - San Diego Chargers - LDT Dan Saleaumula (44/74)
1.06 - Mexico City Aztecs - LCB Rod Woodson (36/63)
1.07 - Houston Oilers - RT Howard Ballard (43/78)
1.08 - Buffalo Bills - SE Perry Kemp (44/67)
1.09 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - SLB Greg Lloyd (44/62)
1.10 - Denver Broncos - MLB Dave Wyman (39/64)

1.17 - London Monarchs - SLB Randy Kirk (34/48)
2.01 - London Monarchs - RCB Brian Davis (26/45)

Late free agency is a barren wasteland as usual, so fast forward to the season proper.

First game in the Ford-Wilson era is a thumping 41-13 win over Barcelona! We'll take that! Fast forward to Week 11, they get revenge in a one-point squeaker. We sit 3-7 at the bottom of the AFC South and they're back in playoff contention. Most of our losses this year have been by the barest of margins. If only we could convert some of these closer games into wins, we'd be back in the mix.

Regardless, 1987 is the first season in four years that we improve our win tally from the year before.

Not a bad way to start the rebuild.

AFC Championship Game
Pittsburgh Steelers 20
New York Jets 17

NFC Championship Game
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16
San Francisco 49ers 10

Super Bowl XXII
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 30
Pittsburgh Steelers 10

NFL Awards
MVP - Jim McMahon (Pittsburgh Steelers QB)
Super Bowl MVP - Ricky Reynolds (Tampa Bay Buccaneers RCB)
Offensive Player of the Year - Jim McMahon (Pittsburgh Steelers QB)
Defensive Player of the Year - William Gay (Minnesota Vikings LDE)
Offensive Rookie of the Year - John Settle (Kansas City Chiefs RB)
Defensive Rookie of the Year - Ricky Reynolds (Tampa Bay Buccaneers RCB)

Four Monarchs got All-League honours.
First Team DT - Alvin Wright
First Team ILB - Karl Mecklenberg
Second Team RB - Joe Delaney
Second Team S - Michael Downs

Last edited by Rawhide : 04-04-2015 at 01:22 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:38 AM   #42
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Big changes in the NFL.

Rumours became reality as two new European cities were awarded franchises, establishing an all-European division within the AFC.

Rome get a new team called the Centurions, while Paris will be the home of the Concordes.

The Centurions are the former Colts, while the Concordes are the former Oilers.

The NFL didn't want to see Houston and Baltimore left without teams however, and instead took away the Aztecs and Bills from their home markets, and transplanted them into their new cities.

The Houston Oilers are now members of the NFC South, and the Baltimore Colts will play in the AFC East.

We will now travel across to America for just five games, instead of eight, with eleven games now in our own time zone.

----

Our free agent signings barely rate a mention.

Tim Smith (Seattle) and Jose Bynaker (St Louis) both leave the club.

Paul Gruber is our first pick in the draft at seventh overall. We consider taking Thurman Thomas, but decide fixing our line is the priority, especially as we still have Joe Delaney.

----

Five years since our last playoff apperance (and only winning season). Can we repeat the old magic?

Well, the first game doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Losing 0-27 at Rome!

At the halfway point of the season, three teams in the AFC Europe division are holding playoff seeds. Guess which team isn't?

We still finish the season with a 6-10 record, so we haven't gone in decline. Regardless, I feel this is a wasted season.

The new boys, Paris and Rome, are both off to the NFL playoffs. Elsewhere, the reborn Houston Oilers are the NFC South champions. The Baltimore Colts had a dismal season at 3-13 though, and there is talk that the franchise may be on the move again. Charlotte, Indianapolis and Jacksonville are candidates to receive the side.

Paris and Rome shock the world by winning both of their playoff games and face off in the AFC Championship game.

AFC Championship Game
Paris Concordes 23
Rome Centurions 6

NFC Championship Game
Los Angeles Rams 17
Detroit Lions 12
Yes, that's right, Joe Montana's Rams are off to the Super Bowl.

Super Bowl XXIII
Los Angeles Rams 30
Paris Concordes 10

NFL Awards
MVP - John Elway (Detroit Lions QB)
Super Bowl MVP - Joe Montana (Los Angeles Rams QB)
Offensive Player of the Year - John Elway (Detroit Lions QB)
Defensive Player of the Year - Chip Banks (Toronto Huskies SLB)
Offensive Rookie of the Year - Thurman Thomas (St Louis Cardinals RB)
Defensive Rookie of the Year - Erik McMillan (Denver Broncos SS)

Alvin Wright is named a Second Team defensive tackle.