Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #551
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Netflix adds Discovery,TLC, and Animal Planet shows.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #552
JediKooter
Coordinator

Hmmm now they are getting closer to what I like to watch.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #553
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

My son just texted me and told me that DISH just bought Blockbuster and will be announcing a streaming service on Friday.

As a DISH subscriber I'm interested to see where this goes and how it compares to netflix.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #554
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

DISH bought Blockbuster last April...
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #555
JediKooter
Coordinator

Is the time stamp bug back?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #556
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I would like Food Network programming.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #557
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
DISH bought Blockbuster last April...

Hadn't heard that but I guess the streaming announcement for Friday is new?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #558
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Hadn't heard that but I guess the streaming announcement for Friday is new?

Yeah, I had heard that a big announcement might be around the corner, so that could very well be it.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #559
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Netflix adds Discovery,TLC, and Animal Planet shows.

This appeals to my personal use. I use the streaming a lot as background for when I'm doing work, and these shows have good stuff for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I would like Food Network programming.

And this would top it off for the same reasons as above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #560
AgustusM
College Prospect

I wont be dumping netflix anytime soon. No matter how stupid I think this all is, the service is till very much a bargain even if they doubled the price. I pay something like 27 bucks a month for Netflix and over 100 for cable (not really cable but uverse, but whatever) and we easily watch 5 times as much on netflix as we do on regular TV

why, well because I have a wife and 4 kids and everyone wants something different. The only "TV" I watch is live sports and other live shows like the news or sportsenter. If it was just me I would get just a sports package - but my wife watches all kinds of stuff and the kids all have their favorites. Just easier to have the full package and be done with it.

Also I don't mind a technical glitch now and then. Nothing a nice quick reboot doesn't solve but that stuff drives my wife insane. If I am not home and netflix is not working she gets frustrated and just watches something else.

We also have hulu plus, a couple of Apple TV's, Amazon streaming (free with prime, but I have never think to look something up on it)

Not sure there was a point to all this sharing other then we have so many options and I have no issue bouncing from one to the other - but what so many more "normal" less technical users like my wife want is one simple solution to watch everything. for that I have high hopes for google TV
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #561
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I put my streaming account on hold- but the addition of breaking bad, discovery, tlc, and animal planet could help bring me back.

Are they still losing the starz contract in a couple months?
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #562
tarcone
Coordinator

Saturday Night Live: The 1970s.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #563
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Netflix snatches DreamWorks rights from HBO – USATODAY.com

Adding Dreamworks.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:38 AM   #564
RainMaker
General Manager

Talked to a friend of mine who worked at Amazon a year ago. He says talking with his friends who still work there, they are convinced that Amazon will eventually buy out Netflix. That the entire reason Netflix is splitting in two is so they can sell them easier.

The theory is that Netflix can be used to lure people into their new tablet. The talk right now is to give Prime away free with the tablet, and if Netflix replaces their Prime instant video, it's a pretty big lure. Now Amazon loses money on this but makes it long term since their video/music/app section is heavily built-in to the product. Not to mention the store. So they give it away for free, but you'll be doing all your music, movie, book and product buying off their tablet.

Just an interesting take I though I'd share.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-27-2011 at 05:39 AM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #565
cougarfreak
College Starter

Netflix added The Wonder Years to instant stream today. Hot Damn!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #566
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post

I read somewhere that they are missing season 4
Old 10-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #567
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The Walking Dead got added.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #568
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729 View Post
I read somewhere that they are missing season 4

Looks like season 4 is there.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #569
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I really want them to get season 2 of The League on streaming. Season 3 just started on FX..

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #570
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #571
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Just kidding everyone...

Netflix Abandons Plans to Rent DVDS on Qwikster
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #572
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder if this means they are going to abandon their video game plans too.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #573
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post

I'm sure some people will take them to task for this but at least they listened to their members instead of doing something that didn't make any sense.

(i.e. Big Ten legends and leaders and using the assine B1G moniker)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #574
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post

Hallelujah!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #575
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Steve Jobs, Al Davis.....an Qwixter. These things tend to happen in 3's.

Last edited by stevew : 10-10-2011 at 10:31 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #576
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Watched the entire series of "Commander in Chief" and I can see why it got cancelled, but it wasn't bad. Also started watching "Luther" and it's engrossing even while it's a bit crazy.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #577
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Luther is something I have been interested in seeing for a while. How far are you into it? Is it worth jumping into? Ever since seeing him in The Wire, it would be cool to see him on the other end of the law.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #578
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Luther is something I have been interested in seeing for a while. How far are you into it? Is it worth jumping into? Ever since seeing him in The Wire, it would be cool to see him on the other end of the law.

I mean, it's sort of a mess. But Elba is quite good and the woman who plays Alice is arresting. They make the plot holes worth it. I mean, it's not going to wow you compared to The Wire or anything (which I've only heard about, not seen), but..I think from what I've seen that it's worth checking out for a few episodes. I've seen two so far and I do want to watch more even as I've wiki'd to see what happens next.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #579
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I mean, it's sort of a mess. But Elba is quite good and the woman who plays Alice is arresting. They make the plot holes worth it. I mean, it's not going to wow you compared to The Wire or anything (which I've only heard about, not seen), but..I think from what I've seen that it's worth checking out for a few episodes. I've seen two so far and I do want to watch more even as I've wiki'd to see what happens next.

Cool. Not everything has to be in the league of 'The Wire' in order for me to watch it. So I will give this one a shot.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #580
AgustusM
College Prospect

whole episode leaves me with a lower opinion of netflix as a company - but I am very happy that they saw their error in their ways and made the quick and right decision to correct it. Have to give them credit for that, others in a similar situation would have stubbornly gone down with the ship.

No doubt in my mind that one day netflix will be a streaming only company and I agree 100% they should strive to be that, they simply need to build that side so it is strong enough to stand on its own and then no one will care about DVD's

as far as games, to me it makes no sense for them to enter that market as it too should be shifting from digital media to downloadable\streaming media as well. I don't believe any company in 2011 should be plotting a future centered around physical media. My kids will think of DVD's the way think of 8 tracks.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #581
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
whole episode leaves me with a lower opinion of netflix as a company .

I'm sure when Netflix CEO Reed Hastings finishes bathing in his money pen a la Scrooge McDuck, he'll be really broken up that you love his company less than you used to.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #582
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
My kids will think of DVD's the way think of 8 tracks.

As the best way to listen to The Moody Blues?
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #583
Autumn
Head Coach

I agree though, when streaming his robust enough people will just stop paying for the discs, just like we stopped going to the video store when Netflix became robust enough. Better to not get too clever I think.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #584
molson
General Manager

The % of U.S. households with high speed internet has kind of stalled at 60% though. And as we know, U.S. high speed internet generally kind of sucks compared to a lot of countries, and I'm sure only a portion of that 60% is really fast enough for actual streaming movie watching. I think DVDs are here to stay at least until some national U.S. internet bandwidth revolution that makes high-speed internet pretty much free for everyone.

Last edited by molson : 10-10-2011 at 09:04 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:09 AM   #585
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The % of U.S. households with high speed internet has kind of stalled at 60% though. And as we know, U.S. high speed internet generally kind of sucks compared to a lot of countries, and I'm sure only a portion of that 60% is really fast enough for actual streaming movie watching. I think DVDs are here to stay at least until some national U.S. internet bandwidth revolution that makes high-speed internet pretty much free for everyone.

I have a 20M download. I also can have up to 7 devices streaming (usually I don't) in my house at one time, and I haven't run in to bandwidth problems yet as far as streaming movies, sports or anything else for that matter. I'm probably in that small minority you are talking about, but that kind of speed seems to be available for those who want it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #586
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I have a 20M download. I also can have up to 7 devices streaming (usually I don't) in my house at one time, and I haven't run in to bandwidth problems yet as far as streaming movies, sports or anything else for that matter. I'm probably in that small minority you are talking about, but that kind of speed seems to be available for those who want it.

Just very very recently though. I didn't have anything above 10M down / 512K up until this summer, for example. Then AT&T built out enough that TWC pushed their wideband offering. And I live in a relatively well-off suburb in a high tech area that was once known for networking. So many other places are still stuck with much slower Internet. Plus it's expensive.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #587
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I currently have 25M download. I'm about to switch to a service that is 15M download (at&t U-Verse). Do you think I will notice any difference? I play a lot of xbox 360 over the net and stream some movies on netflix every now and then. Other than that, just basic surfing.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #588
molson
General Manager

And anecdotally, when I go to redbox, it is, I think, a lower-economic kind of entertainment option. Which makes sense. If you're moving a lot, don't make money, have bad credit, are unemployed, etc, you're not paying $50-$100/month for high speed internet that you often have to make a year-long commitment for. I don't think we're getting high speed internet to those people as whole anytime in the next couple of decades at least (probably until all TVs have a built-in internet connection, and even then - that might just make internet service more expensive) DVDs have a long life ahead of them yet. I think Netflix is short-sighted for trying to go to streaming-only (if that's really what they're doing), and redbox is making a killing recognizing that a huge amount of Americans still don't have high-speed internet, and aren't getting it anytime soon.

Last edited by molson : 10-11-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #589
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

After reading these few posts I checked it out. I'm also through two episodes. It's obviously not The Wire. It has that one thing that I can't fucking stand. CSI is notorious. The cops are stumped. The lead detective is sitting there. BOOM OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE HE HAS THE ANSWER.

But yea, Elba and the red head are enough to keep me going.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #590
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
After reading these few posts I checked it out. I'm also through two episodes. It's obviously not The Wire. It has that one thing that I can't fucking stand. CSI is notorious. The cops are stumped. The lead detective is sitting there. BOOM OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE HE HAS THE ANSWER.

But yea, Elba and the red head are enough to keep me going.

I finished. I can completely get over the superman detective instincts. I thought the show as a whole was outstanding. What an ending. Plot holes. Whatever. Just a great ride. Now to check out BBC America and see when I can watch my season 2.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #591
tarcone
Coordinator

Hey Hosers, Strange Brew is on Netflix, eh.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #592
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Buck is a great documentary if you haven't seen it.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #593
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

What worse? Streaming snobs or Donovan McNabb?
Old 10-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #594
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

For, the, record, I, don't, move, a lot, and, I, do, have, a, job. I just don't like poorly encoded movies that can be accessed INSTANTLY (!!1!).
Old 10-22-2011, 01:06 AM   #595
molson
General Manager

I have been a loyal Netflix supporter since 1999....I recently ditched my instant streaming in exchange for the 2 DVD out at a time plan, with the thought that I'd manage with Showtime and Redbox for new releases, and old school Netflix mail for everything else....And tonight - I can't even find my dvd queue on their website - or even an email address to complain about it. I've gone from laughing at Netflix price increase whiners to wishing this company would die in a garbage fire.

Really, they've cancelled Qwiskter, but have also utterly abandoned their DVD customers on their website....I'll give it a day or so to see if it's a web glitch, but really, are they going to drive me back to local video stores?
Old 10-22-2011, 01:09 AM   #596
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
I currently have 25M download. I'm about to switch to a service that is 15M download (at&t U-Verse). Do you think I will notice any difference? I play a lot of xbox 360 over the net and stream some movies on netflix every now and then. Other than that, just basic surfing.
You won't notice a difference. Maybe some larger files will take longer to download, but it won't effect your ability to play games or stream stuff at all. 15m is still really good and likely more than most of their customers. I was doing fine on 10m and my parents work on 5m just fine.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #597
RainMaker
General Manager

Thought I'd mention that Amazon Prime added a bunch of new PBS stuff to their streaming selection. Frontline, NOVA, documentaries, etc. Going to watch Ken Burns Civil War tonight.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:16 AM   #598
Izulde
Head Coach

Borgia by Canal+ is one of the best adaptations of the Borgia story I've seen. I was sad when I got done with episode 12 today and saw they don't have Season 2 up.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #599
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And tonight - I can't even find my dvd queue on their website - or even an email address to complain about it.

I just logged in my then clicked on Your Queue and it list my DVD queue with my instant one in another tab.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #600
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
You won't notice a difference. Maybe some larger files will take longer to download, but it won't effect your ability to play games or stream stuff at all. 15m is still really good and likely more than most of their customers. I was doing fine on 10m and my parents work on 5m just fine.

Cool, that is good to hear.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote