Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2010, 02:57 AM   #2701
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
I'm in the World Cup and after the 2nd Group Stage game, i had a guy get injured, but it said i couldnt call anyone up to replace him. Is that right? I thought you could replace an injured player on the roster.

I'm pretty sure the rosters are fixed for tournaments as soon as the tourny starts, or shortly after that.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:58 AM   #2702
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

nope, not during the competition
Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #2703
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
This may be a stupid question, but are saves transferable between PC and Mac versions?

I'm thinking of picking up the Mac native version next time it's on sale to play natively on my Macbook Pro.

I asked this a while ago and Marc said yes. I have been unable to test it, though, but I do believe Marc.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #2704
markprior22
High School Varsity

Is there a place in game (or in the help files) that gives a brief overview of the different tactics and let you know what type of players fit best?
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #2705
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
Is there a place in game (or in the help files) that gives a brief overview of the different tactics and let you know what type of players fit best?

Tactics aren't as important as assigned roles. In the latest version of FM you can see attributes highlighted that are critical for a certain role.

I'd also recommend the Tactical Theorems and Framework for FM10. This year was the first time I played with my own tactics an TTF gave me a much better understanding.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #2706
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'd also recommend the Tactical Theorems and Framework for FM10.

I'm not sure I've heard of this before, what is it?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #2707
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'm not sure I've heard of this before, what is it?

From the SI forums:

Quote:
The guide includes:

* Over 60 pages of tactical advice
* A comprehensive guide to the new tactical interface
* Foreword by one of the co-founders of Sports Interactive, Ov Collyer
* A special bonus guide to real-world football tactics, Tactical Visions, from new Think Tank member playmaker
* An appendix, giving brief portraits of tactical styles in FM – with links to the forums, encouraging you to contribute to the guide’s development

Get it here: http://www.fm-britain.co.uk/tactics-...l-theorems-10/
Old 06-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #2708
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You need to sign up via email to get it (use a throwaway just in case)
Old 06-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #2709
Radii
Head Coach

oh wow awesome, thanks!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #2710
markprior22
High School Varsity

Wow...TTF looks like an excellent resource. Thanks
Old 06-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #2711
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
haha

Oddly enough, my company uses its own calendar, invented by an ex-CEO. Each year has exactly 52 weeks, so it's 364 days. 4 weeks every month, except for March, June, September, and December, which have 5 weeks. This was developed over 20 years ago, so we're starting to get really silly with this stuff -- our "July" started June 6, and ends July 3. February 2009 was the first month to have no days in the actual month it was supposed to be -- it started January 4, and ended January 31. Obviously, they're working on phasing it out.
I just want to say that this is amazing.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #2712
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Started a new game with Rennes, and just noticed a funny/weird thing regarding my upcoming matches :

Photobucket

BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #2713
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think I'm gonna start a french league game. What are the foreign transfer rules? Any other leagues I should have selected?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #2714
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

in league 1 max 4 foreigners under contract
in league 2 max 2 under contract
in national max 3 under contract

If you choose to manage in France pick up to CFA, since some reserves play there, also choose a side for which the reserve plays in CFA, else the reserve will never play a game (except friendlies).

Else the league is relatively easy with lots of good youngsters.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:56 PM   #2715
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I've tried a Brazil game before but it didn't last long. I may try one against after this San Marino experience though.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #2716
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay guys now don't shoot me but where would you say the best resources are for WWSM 2008. I would love to upgrade to the new game but my laptop cannot handle it so I am stuck with 2008. I have dabbled here and there with the game but would really like to get a better understanding of what I am doing.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #2717
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

see if you can't google for tactical theorems and frameworks 2008?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #2718
markprior22
High School Varsity

I am getting messages that certain players on my U19 affiliate are turning 16 and can be offered a professional contract. What is the strategy as far as this goes? Can I let it go for a while or am I taking some sort of risk that they will be signed by another club? If they are a player that looks to have a decent future, do I need to sign them to a pro contract immediately?
Old 06-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #2719
Warhammer
Pro Starter

After a week of well earned vacation, I have returned and in two games, we have achieved promotion to the Championship! In 6 seasons, we have progressed from the BSN to the Championship! Now if we could only get a new stadium...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:07 AM   #2720
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreizhManu View Post
Started a new game with Rennes, and just noticed a funny/weird thing regarding my upcoming matches :

Photobucket

You mean your crazy european dating system? Ya, that is funny
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:56 AM   #2721
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

You know what annoys me? Options.

I have created this dynasty in the Austria Premier League and I',m ending my 4th year having taken a chump team to mid-table or better every year. European qualifications one year. My best players keep getting sold when I don;t want them too though. During my time, I've had affers of 2.2 mil that I was forced to take for a player I bought for 1.3, which was the biggest fee ever paid in my clubs history. That's after the player won Austria Premier Divison Player of the Year last year. Grr. I had to sell my awesome striker I bought for 600k because I was offered 950k, at the time the biggest sell of a player in club history. I was forced t osell a DC who was 19 and Swedish and great for 1.3 mill and I had just bought him for 150k eariler in the year. I'm lucky they actually allowed me to turn down a 1.9 million offer for my AMR after I paid 900k for him.

So, I'm playing for players far in excess of what the club has done before. But I'm having fun with my players, trying to build the fortunes of the team up with a lousy pitch we don;t own so I can't get relaid and fighting with the board for betyter training facilities and a sell of the team a few months ago.

So, all is good, right. ? So then I get a bunch of offers recently, in the last month, I've gotten six club offers, but most are laughable. It seems like I've developed into the coach du jour. I got two offers from Czech Premier teams, one mid-table and one 2nd to last in the division. I got an offer from Stoke, in the EPL, with a transfer budget of 7 million and salary of 750k

They are offering me a ton more money i salary too. How do I not accept that? And yet, I don;t want to fight through a division again, especially the hardest one in Europe. I don;t want to have to struggle through a few seasons of trying to fight for every last point in a relegation battle.

And yet, this is a team with a much better reputation, and who's money situation makes ours look like a junior league team.

Realistically, any manager would take that unless they had a tie to Austria, and I don;t I'm Kenyan and American. And yet...I'm enjoying the fights in Austria. But this would be a real promotion. On the other hand, I have never cracked into the top four in Austria, and I won;t this season, I'm in a real battle for 5th with 39 points in 30 games, and teams at 38, 36 and 33, but #4 is way ahead of me at 54. I'm not advancing like I Wanted too in Austria.

Grrr. Options! I never intended to take this dynasty to England and especially not at the head of Stoke....

What to do, what to do, what to do.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 06-26-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:29 AM   #2722
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Stay in austria until you have the top team there
Old 06-26-2010, 05:24 AM   #2723
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Man, I've had a blast pulling my usual routine with Rushden & Diamonds, taking them from the BSP up to League 1 with a bunch of free-transfer scraps, but I have plateaued in League 1 big time, finishing in 7th in my first year, then 8th and 8th again, with extrabonus end-of-season collapses taking me out of playoff contention in the least graceful ways possible. I just can't field a decent defense to save my life.

..but I'm loving it, as always.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #2724
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm hooked again but I'm struggling in my first game with Shewsbury. The team is inconsistent and some key players are feeling their age. I hope I survive to the offseason when I'll have more opportunities to reshape the roster.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #2725
aran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Man, I've had a blast pulling my usual routine with Rushden & Diamonds, taking them from the BSP up to League 1 with a bunch of free-transfer scraps, but I have plateaued in League 1 big time, finishing in 7th in my first year, then 8th and 8th again, with extrabonus end-of-season collapses taking me out of playoff contention in the least graceful ways possible. I just can't field a decent defense to save my life.

..but I'm loving it, as always.

In my Wrexham career (just finished my first year), Rushden was the last team to beat us before the end of the season when we went on another 5 game unbeaten streak. Wrex pulled together towards the end. We went from being in the relegation hole at 21st to being 15th over the course of like 30 games under my tutelage. It took a while to turn it around, but it seems like we have a good shot at something nearing the playoffs next year. Especially since I'm bringing in younger players to replace a lot of the chaff in the team. It's hard with a transfer budget of $10k though.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #2726
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I know it probably varies quite a bit from person to person and depends if you watch full games or just the highlights, but how long does a season usually take in hours of play?

One of the things I enjoy about FOF is being able to get through a season in one sitting, whereas on the other hand I grow tired of TEW before I can get through a full year. I know that in EHM the seasons were lengthy but not too bad.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #2727
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I know it probably varies quite a bit from person to person and depends if you watch full games or just the highlights, but how long does a season usually take in hours of play?

One of the things I enjoy about FOF is being able to get through a season in one sitting, whereas on the other hand I grow tired of TEW before I can get through a full year. I know that in EHM the seasons were lengthy but not too bad.

FM seasons take me the longest of any text sim game I play, but I get more engrossed in them than any other game. I've put over 14 hours into my 1st season and I'm only about 2/3 of the way through a season. I generally watch extended highlights.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #2728
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post

I can do a season in two nights and an offseason in a third, unless Iget busy with other stuff.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #2729
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I forgot how wonderful it is to get a great loan player who can turn a season around. Since I got a striker from Wigan, I went from 16th to 7th place and in the thick of a playoff race.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #2730
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I can do a season in two nights and an offseason in a third, unless Iget busy with other stuff.

Probably this, when I get going at a good rhythm. Takes me longer at lower levels or when I'm having to "turn over" a team significantly though.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #2731
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I forgot how wonderful it is to get a great loan player who can turn a season around. Since I got a striker from Wigan, I went from 16th to 7th place and in the thick of a playoff race.

Once, I had a great Division Three team except for the attack and after two years of making the team better and none of my strikers were doing anything, and sitting at the rear of the table, I loaned two young strikers from Man U's youth squad, set them up, and ran with them to promotion. Then I loaned them again and got promoted the very next year from Div II with them. They were awesome loans.

I've never had that kind of performance from loaners before or since though.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #2732
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

One of the things I love about FM is how players start doing weird stuff, totally unlike the stats based text sims elsewhere, but with a more realistic feel. For example, here is Mensur Kurtisi, a striker for my team who started taking stupid pills this year for me or something.

The year before I came to this team, he was in the Austrian First Division, and they won it. He had:

20 plays, 2 goals scored, no assists

Then I took over and chose for him to be my featured striker with a finished of 16, pace and acceleration of 13 each, heading of 12, jumping of 14, etc. We are now in the Austrian Premier with tougher competition, and here is his statline from my first year:

35 appearances, 17 goals, 9 assists, 4 Man of Match, 7.14 average rating.

So, yay Mensur, who was 24 at the time.

Now he's 25 and my second year at the club. I have an amazing striker for the first half of the season, and then I have to try and find another after I am forced to sell him.

36 appearances, 13 goals, 11 assist, 3 Man of Math, 6.86 rating

Well, there's obviously a drop here, but I pick up a hot striker for just 65k from the Ivory Coast for year three and hope to get him a new playmate. Here is his statline for this past year (you will note I benched him near the end frequently)

23 appearances, 3 goals, 5 assists, 1 Man of Match, 6.66 rating

He's only 26, his stats have not dropped. So what happened?

I watched hi mon the pitch begin to hesitate. Before he would get the ball from a cross or pass and immediately strike, but now he was stopping aiming, etc and giving the defense time to adjust. He never broke away nearly as much as he did before, and when he did, and got one:one with the keeper, he didn;t come close to beating him for a goal like he used to for two years for me.

How many times in sports do we see someone suddenly play different and you wonder what is going on? I love that this game has that.

So now I have to move a guy that was a runner up in the Austrian Press Award two years ago, and now blows.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #2733
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Agreed Abe. This game has always done such a good job of modeling player personalities and quirks. I love trying to manage the psychology of players as much as just their skills.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #2734
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

heh, I applied for and took the Egypt job and left my Zombabwe job, but there was a day after I had accepted and before it was announced and I resigned from Zimbabwe.

That day was the day I was required to submit my final squad for the World Cup Qualifiers. Who is in my group? Egypt. Who was Zimbabwe's first game against in a few days? Egypt. So I could have really screwed over Zimbabwe by submitting a list of chumps as the squad for the next few games, but I felt that would be dishonest, and I chose not to do it.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #2735
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Ooh, the game has made a 16 year old wunderkid for Egypt. He's awesome! Already worth 1.3 million!

First time I get to international manage a wunderkid!

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 06-27-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:44 AM   #2736
MrBug708
Head Coach

Abe - What leagues are selected in your game?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #2737
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Abe - What leagues are selected in your game?

Assume just top flight unless I tell you otherwise

Ukraine
USA
Turkey
Switzerland
Austria Premier and 1st
Spain
France
England Premier and Championship
Germany
Italy
Portugal
Hungary

Since I played a team in Austria, I turned on a lot of leagues near me, plus the majors. Normally you'd see me with Greece, Belgium, Netherlands, etc, but I opted for Hungary, Poland, Austriax2, etc

Old 06-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #2738
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I have had a ton of success with Polish, Hungarian and Bosnian players on my team too. I had a massively awesome Polish striker, who after getting sold to Kaiserslautern in the German first league had 33 starts and a 7.46 rating in the top German league, so he was awesome, obviously. My star, won the Austrian League player of the year one year was this young awesome Bosnian. I picked up a couple more Bosnians that are making a real impact and some Hungarians that are really helping me out. I just splashed the cash on a Jamaican with our largest transfer fee ever (2.5 mill) using all of the money I got from some high profile leavings to get me my star, shutdown goalie.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #2739
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Geez, I just changed captains and literally 13 of my players are happy with my new choice. No one is pissed. Wow

Old 06-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #2740
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
I am getting messages that certain players on my U19 affiliate are turning 16 and can be offered a professional contract. What is the strategy as far as this goes? Can I let it go for a while or am I taking some sort of risk that they will be signed by another club? If they are a player that looks to have a decent future, do I need to sign them to a pro contract immediately?

Can anyone offer advice on this? What happens if I don't sign a player who is eligible for a pro contract? Will they get angry? Am I extremely vulnerable to losing them? Really appreciate the help.

On another note, is the EA FIFA game (for 360) a quality game? I am really trying to get in to soccer and think a game like that (along with FM) would really help me to understand.

Thanks again
Old 06-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #2741
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I don;t know the consequences, but I typically sign anyone I want to a contract as soon as they turn the appropriate age.

However, I let others just languish. I regularly try to find quality youth and sign them though, so I'm pretty ruthless whe it come so cutting youth.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 06-27-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #2742
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don;t know the consequences, but I typically sign anyone I want to a contract as soon as they turn the appropriate age.

However, I let others just languish. I regularly try to find quality youth and sign them though, so I'm pretty ruthless whe it come so cutting youth.

What Abe said. If you don't sign them to a pro contract at 17 you're more vulnerable to losing them, but you'll still be compensated to some degree by the club that does sign him (based on his existing value). The advantage of signing him then is that you can control if he goes or not.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #2743
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Brescia just made an offer to co-own my stud 20 y/o keeper for 700k. I turned them down.

Empoli made an offer to co-own one of my AM R's for 200k. I might take it...I dunno.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #2744
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

the major difference on youth and pro contracts is that pro contracts are full time, training.. youth training is nowhere near as hard. So if you got a good to great 16-17 year old, get him on a pro contract to assist in his career
Old 06-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #2745
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Assume just top flight unless I tell you otherwise

Ukraine
USA
Turkey
Switzerland
Austria Premier and 1st
Spain
France
England Premier and Championship
Germany
Italy
Portugal
Hungary

Since I played a team in Austria, I turned on a lot of leagues near me, plus the majors. Normally you'd see me with Greece, Belgium, Netherlands, etc, but I opted for Hungary, Poland, Austriax2, etc

Your computer is much better then mine
Old 06-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #2746
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Your computer is much better then mine

Literally, the only reason I upgraded my memory and such was so that I could run more leagues in FM!

Old 06-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #2747
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Not that I'm complaining but my League 2 Shrewsbury team just was spontaneously offered a very good 19 year old right back who is valued at 475k for free by Burnley (currently 19th in the EPL.) Is this just a salary dump? Did I do something to please their boss? I don't think I ever saw anything like this in previous versions.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #2748
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not that I'm complaining but my League 2 Shrewsbury team just was spontaneously offered a very good 19 year old right back who is valued at 475k for free by Burnley (currently 19th in the EPL.) Is this just a salary dump? Did I do something to please their boss? I don't think I ever saw anything like this in previous versions.

probably salary dump offered to all managers... or the players a headcase
Old 06-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #2749
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

We ended up hanging around 7th to 9th place all season long. Last game of the season, we are at Port Vale who are in 7th place and we are in 8th place. 1 point separates us. I think a tie will get us in, but I'm not positive so we play for the win. In the 84th minute, Callum, the aforementioned loaner striker makes a brilliant shot from 20 yards out to give us the 1-0 lead which we hold onto! Onto the playoffs.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #2750
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
probably salary dump offered to all managers... or the players a headcase

Yeah, I found out that at least 9 teams were interested and he picked Torquay over us. Bastard.