Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #501
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here we go again. MBBF is going to bitch and moan about unfair attacks and how threads devolve into simply piling on him. At some point the light has to go off as to the root cause, don't you think?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #502
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
A $100 price drop coupled with the rumored release of Gran Turismo 5 this fall and Final Fantasy XIII in March will create a substantial surge in PS3 sales. The failings of the management in the past aside, it's not terribly difficult to see what's going to happen in the coming months. They should easily meet their goals in North America.

Last year they had MGS to drive sales as well. The only difference this year is the rumored price drop.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #503
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
The only difference this year is the rumored price drop.

That's a pretty big difference.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #504
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Here we go again. MBBF is going to bitch and moan about unfair attacks and how threads devolve into simply piling on him. At some point the light has to go off as to the root cause, don't you think?

He admitted he was the one being the jerk in the first place. Best to ignore and return to discussion.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #505
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Best to ignore and return to discussion.

... of you once again making broad sweeping predictions that only Sony believes. My point is that the new titles are cancelled out by last year's blockbuster release that drove sales then. The hope here is that a $100 price drop means 70% more sales than last year, in a horrible economy. That's a pretty big leap o' faith.

But who knows, maybe you'll get this one right. Shoot enough bullets and eventually one will hit the target...
Old 07-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #506
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
My apologies. I was hoping you'd show respect to another poster despite your tone if I replied in a respectful manner the first time. If your solely interested in being a jerk, move along. The thread was relatively flame-free until your post.

Dude. Don't you know that no one here fucking respects you?
Old 07-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #507
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's a pretty big leap o' faith.

Given the massive sales figures for the category overall despite the drop in sales volume for virtually everything else on the planet, including food, I'd say it's hard to completely write off any projection as too over the top optimistic.

"We may not eat well but by God we're going to have the next whatever-comes-down-the-pike game that's released" certainly seems to be a prevailing attitude among a lot of consumers.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-14-2009 at 04:04 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #508
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Video games are still a very economical form of entertainment, even in a shitty economy.

So yeah, nothing suprises me.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #509
RainMaker
General Manager

If you're looking to play Battlefield 1943 on the 360, the servers are still shit. Maybe next week I'll be able to play the game I paid for.

Last edited by RainMaker : 07-14-2009 at 04:29 PM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #510
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
If you're looking to play Battlefield 1943 on the 360, the servers are still shit. Maybe next week I'll be able to play the game I paid for.

I heard about that. PS3 servers are running lag-free. I was surprised to hear the 360 servers weren't handling it well.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #511
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Dude. Don't you know that no one here fucking respects you?

Sorry you feel that way. It's certainly not accurate, but I hold no ill-will against you.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #512
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I heard about that. PS3 servers are running lag-free. I was surprised to hear the 360 servers weren't handling it well.
They were till Coral Sea was unlocked and everyone went on to play it. I got on later that night but am still not real impressed. As a sniper, items in the distance tend to be real choppy.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #513
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'd comment on 09' games, but I'm still stuck in 08' (mainly because those games are cheaper now and I've had a hard time justifying a $50-$60 tag on new games.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #514
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And another PS3 game, the much bally-hooed MAG (Massive Action Game) has been put off till 2010.

MAG Reloading For Release In 2010? - Mag - Kotaku
Old 07-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #515
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
And another PS3 game, the much bally-hooed MAG (Massive Action Game) has been put off till 2010.

I'm out of the loop.. Massive Action Game was the title of a game? What, was A Bunch of People Blowin' Shit Up taken?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 07-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #516
RainMaker
General Manager

I'd rather have games delayed than come out early and suck.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #517
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I'm out of the loop.. Massive Action Game was the title of a game? What, was A Bunch of People Blowin' Shit Up taken?

Well, it was a play on Massively Multiplayer, it's going to support 256 player maps/
Old 07-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #518
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Even Sony doesn't want to release their big shooter that close to Modern Warfare 2.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #519
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Made me
Old 07-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #520
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

MAG Reloading For Release In 2010? - Mag - Kotaku

It was 'much bally-hooed'? By who? Outside of PR releases from Sony, I don't think anyone is expecting much of this game. There are far bigger games on the release calendar.

Out of the Sony presentations, MAG was easily one of the weakest. It's probably a big reason it was delayed. They'd be much better off releasing a second Warhawk instead of MAG.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-15-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #521
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
It was 'much bally-hooed'? By who? Outside of PR releases from Sony, I don't think anyone is expecting much of this game. There are far bigger games on the release calendar.

Out of the Sony presentations, MAG was easily one of the weakest. It's probably a big reason it was delayed. They'd be much better off releasing a second Warhawk instead of MAG.

I think they touted this game quite a bit actually. They've been doing it for almost two years if I'm not mistaken. This is not going to be a massive blow but it hurts yet again.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #522
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I think they touted this game quite a bit actually. They've been doing it for almost two years if I'm not mistaken. This is not going to be a massive blow but it hurts yet again.

I don't think it does, though. Or if it does, it hurts because it's a promise they couldn't deliver on - but that's a tightrope all developers/hardware manufacturers have to walk. It's not exclusive to Sony.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #523
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

"They've" being the key word. I agree that it was hyped by Sony, but no one considered it a AAA title. I'm not trying to downplay the effect of the delay specific to the game itself, but it's not a serious situation in any way. That game isn't going to sell units. It's just a nice complimentary game at best.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-15-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #524
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

U.S. Console Sales Take Another Big Hit In June - Console Wars - Kotaku

"On the other end of the scale, without the help of Metal Gear Solid 4 and Grand Theft Auto IV, PS3 sales dipped from 405,500 last June, to 164,700 this June."

That's a near 60% drop in sales. Yes, a price cut will help slow the bleeding, but Sony's dreams of 30% more fiscal year over year in sales is just that at this point. A pipe dream. They don't have the horse power, and they will not be able to get the view that it is a luxury item in a horrible economy to change. Their main opponent, the 360, is the only sales unit to be going up in sales at this point. The gap is not shrinking, it is widening.

Sony has to realize at this point they are not only going to be #3 this generation, they are going to be a DISTANT #3. Well, I doubt they're smart enough to realize that, they are still thinking in terms of a ten year cycle, yadda yadda yadda... it's pride only keeping them from admitting the truth.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #525
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

"On the other end of the scale, without the help of Metal Gear Solid 4 and Grand Theft Auto IV, PS3 sales dipped from 405,500 last June, to 164,700 this June."

That's a near 60% drop in sales. Yes, a price cut will help slow the bleeding, but Sony's dreams of 30% more fiscal year over year in sales is just that at this point. A pipe dream. They don't have the horse power, and they will not be able to get the view that it is a luxury item in a horrible economy to change. Their main opponent, the 360, is the only sales unit to be going up in sales at this point. The gap is not shrinking, it is widening.

Sony has to realize at this point they are not only going to be #3 this generation, they are going to be a DISTANT #3. Well, I doubt they're smart enough to realize that, they are still thinking in terms of a ten year cycle, yadda yadda yadda... it's pride only keeping them from admitting the truth.

This is the same company that desperately needs to move more PSPs and they finally come out with the PSP Go which looks interesting, but they decided to price it at $249 even though it costs less to make than current PSPs. Reason?

Quote:
When you introduce a new piece of hardware you have the opportunity to say there is a certain premium that is associated with it, and we took that into account.

They seem to be happy with their position as long as they're milking as much money out of the people that are buying their consoles as possible.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #526
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

So two consoles selling at a price point 40% cheaper are outselling the PS3? Some ground-breaking stuff there.

As has been mentioned several times already, there's little reason to get caught up in the numbers until the PS3 price drop occurs. Until then, it's not tough to figure out what will occur regarding sales.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #527
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
As has been mentioned several times already, there's little reason to get caught up in the numbers until the PS3 price drop occurs. Until then, it's not tough to figure out what will occur regarding sales.

When you say "we will increase sales 30% over last year" and yet each month goes by you sell many fewer than the year before, you're getting farther and farther behind and better pull something big out of your butt to meet your projection. At the rate they are falling behind last year, a $100 price cut may help them MATCH last year's sales, but it's going to have to move an awful lot of consoles to be 30% better than last year. They are so far behind that projection it's not even funny anymore.

And keep in mind all those cheap Blu-Ray players coming out will eat into that side of the business...

Last edited by gstelmack : 07-17-2009 at 09:05 AM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #528
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
When you say "we will increase sales 30% over last year" and yet each month goes by you sell many fewer than the year before, you're getting farther and farther behind and better pull something big out of your butt to meet your projection. At the rate they are falling behind last year, a $100 price cut may help them MATCH last year's sales, but it's going to have to move an awful lot of consoles to be 30% better than last year. They are so far behind that projection it's not even funny anymore.

And keep in mind all those cheap Blu-Ray players coming out will eat into that side of the business...

No question about it. They need to come through with that projected price cut in August as has been rumored. Any further delay beyond that will severely cripple their ability to make up the difference in their goal.

With that said, no one thought they would make the FY08 goals when they announced them, yet they managed to do so without a price cut.

I'm not sure that the drop in BR player prices will make much of a difference. People searching for the $99 (or lower) BR players likely weren't going to buy a PS3 until it was $199 or lower anyway. I'm sure there are a few exceptions, but it would be a pretty small number.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #529
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This is the same company that desperately needs to move more PSPs and they finally come out with the PSP Go which looks interesting, but they decided to price it at $249 even though it costs less to make than current PSPs. Reason?

Since the PSP Go doesn't have a UMD drive, many games will be sold as downloads. According to Sony part of the PSP Go's increased price is to give a bigger cut to retailers since those retailers won't be selling UMD games to PSP Go owners.

IMO they would have been better off releasing a brand-new handheld in a year or two, maybe with a touchscreen and the device could double as a phone or something, I dunno. PSP Go looks like a failure before it's even been released.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #530
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Since the PSP Go doesn't have a UMD drive, many games will be sold as downloads. According to Sony part of the PSP Go's increased price is to give a bigger cut to retailers since those retailers won't be selling UMD games to PSP Go owners.

I'm keeping my PSP just because it has the best of both worlds. UMD, downloadable games, and bigger screen. I don't see much advantage to the PSP Go personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
IMO they would have been better off releasing a brand-new handheld in a year or two, maybe with a touchscreen and the device could double as a phone or something, I dunno. PSP Go looks like a failure before it's even been released.

I'm confused by your statement. I'm assuming you know that it's widely rumored that Sony will release an all-new portable in 2011, but maybe I'm wrong in that assumption. The PSP Go isn't anything more than a niche product to hold over until the new portable comes out. I'd also expect the next portable to play all PSP games and likely be able to download the already purchased games, much like the PS3 and PSP now. They'll all have a common network.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #531
Calis
College Starter

Are they going to be discontinouing the PSP's apart from the Go?

I'd still like to pick up a PSP at some point, because there's some nice strategy games on there I want to try, but I think I'd prefer the current to the new Go and was wondering if there'll be trouble getting the others later.

I would imagine they're not stopping it, but haven't heard anything.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #532
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm confused by your statement. I'm assuming you know that it's widely rumored that Sony will release an all-new portable in 2011, but maybe I'm wrong in that assumption. The PSP Go isn't anything more than a niche product to hold over until the new portable comes out. I'd also expect the next portable to play all PSP games and likely be able to download the already purchased games, much like the PS3 and PSP now. They'll all have a common network.

I figured one would come eventually but hadn't heard about a true PSP successor coming out that soon. If so then why even bother with the PSP Go...
Old 07-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #533
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Are they going to be discontinouing the PSP's apart from the Go?

I'd still like to pick up a PSP at some point, because there's some nice strategy games on there I want to try, but I think I'd prefer the current to the new Go and was wondering if there'll be trouble getting the others later.

I would imagine they're not stopping it, but haven't heard anything.

No, they will continue to sell both according to their announcement at E3.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:02 AM   #534
RainMaker
General Manager

Why do you guys keep arguing about this PS3 shit? They lost the console war. They're a distant third and will remain that way till the next generation of consoles. Even if a price drop happens and they take a bigger hit on each sale, they've still lost.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #535
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

AAA Lucha Libre headed for US - News at GameSpot

While wrestling fans may have qualms with THQ's WWE SmackDown vs. Raw and Midway's TNA Impact!, they may be happy to know they're guaranteed at least one "AAA" title in the near future. Upstart publisher Slang has announced AAA: El Videojuego, the first Mexican wrestling game for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, PSP, and DS.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 editions of the game are being developed with the Unreal Engine 3 by Immersion Software, with offices in Guadalajara, Mexico, and Bogota, Colombia. An Immersion representative today confirmed for GameSpot that the game should arrive on both those platforms in late 2009 or early 2010, with launches targeted for Latin America and the United States. Argentine developer Sabarasa Studios is handling development on the Wii, PSP, and DS editions of the game, with those editions set to trail Immersion's efforts to retail.

AAA: El Videojuego will feature the league's familiar six-sided ring, as well as a number of international stars, including ex-WCW wrestlers La Parka and Konnan. Other AAA stars who could be included but are not yet confirmed for the game include Octagon, Abismo Negro, Jack Evans, Teddy Hart, and Silver King. One issue not addressed in the teaser is whether the game will feature the company's "mini" division of diminutive wrestlers like El Guapito and Mascarita Sagrada.

Official trailer is at
YouTube - Lucha Libre AAA El Videojuego En HQ
Old 07-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #536
MJ4H
Coordinator

Preliminary sales numbers show Wii Sports Resort is a huge hit

Wii Sports Resort has already sold nearly 1.5 million copies worldwide and like Wii Fit, Wii Play and Mario Kart Wii is expected to be a strong seller for the remainder of the year.
When comparing Wii Sports Resort to previous Wii openings, the title is only beaten by Super Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit. With Wii Sports Resort releasing on Sunday in America, “week one” will be a whole seven days which we are estimating from the strong day one sales (~300,000) to be around the 700,000. The ten largest debuts for Wii titles are shown below.
Title Japan Americas Others Total
Super Smash Bros. Brawl 842,536 1,593,621 286,949 2,723,106
Mario Kart Wii 580,510 1,212,795 579,136 2,372,441
Wii Fit 252,510 729,598 644,865 1,626,973
Wii Sports Resort (Estimated) 349,411 700,000 330,000 1,379,411
Wii Sports 181,902 529,658 361,526 1,073,086
Super Mario Galaxy 260,993 619,379 180,754 1,061,126
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 146,367 432,504 236,882 815,753
Animal Crossing: City Folk 306,986 219,653 98,074 624,713
Mario Party 8 282,003 309,705 28,383 620,091
Wii Play 178,367 180,390 123,388 482,145
[VGChartz]
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:18 AM   #537
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Not a big surprise, but worthy of note. Sony has doubled their purchase orders for PS3 components, likely confirming that either a new PS3 Slim and/or a price cut will occur in the August/September timeframe.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090727PD219.html

Also, it was leaked that a PS3 version of Star Ocean 4 is on the way.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #538
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Oh NOES!!1!!!!!1!1!

Games maker EA has incited a wave of backlash over the latest marketing ploy for their upcoming action game, Dante's Inferno.

In an effort to promote the title at last week's San Diego Comic-Con event, EA decided to run a contest asking showgoers to "commit acts of lust" with any models working at the convention's myriad booths. They were then instructed to submit photos via social networking sites like Twitter or Facebook. The winner would receive "dinner and a sinful night with two hot girls, a limo service, paparazzi and a chest full of booty," while five runners-up would have to make do with a copy of the game, a $240 gift card and assorted game merchandise.

Of course, EA gave themselves an out, noting on the official rules page that "...judges reserve the right, in their sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify any Submissions that are inappropriate for any reason, including without limitation, for depicting or mentioning sex, violence, drugs, alcohol and/or inappropriate language." In other words, don't get crazy while you commit your "acts of lust."

Unfortunately for EA, the gaming community hasn’t responded well. Twitter posts about the marketing effort have been largely negative; tweets to #EAfail have spiked, with many accusing the company of being tasteless, immature and sexist. In turn, those responsible have issued a respectful if unapologetic tweet right back:

"'Commit acts of lust' is simply a tongue-in-cheek way to say take pictures with costumed reps," it reads. "Also, a ‘Night of Lust’ means only that the winner will receive a chaperoned VIP night on the town with the Dante's Inferno reps, all expenses paid, as well as other prizes."

It's just the latest EA marketing stunt to go awry. Back in April, the company got in hot water for sending journalists illegal brass knuckles to promote their game based on The Godfather II. And at the E3 trade show in early June, EA angered Christian groups after making waves with a viral marketing campaign for -- you guessed it -- Dante's Inferno, this time featuring fake protesters.

Tweets to EAFail spiked... that is like noting posts on the KKK message board spiked after Obama was elected.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #539
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Unfortunately for EA, the gaming community hasn’t responded well. Twitter posts about the marketing effort have been largely negative; tweets to #EAfail have spiked, with many accusing the company of being tasteless, immature and sexist. In turn, those responsible have issued a respectful if unapologetic tweet right back:

I'm not sure how they jump this conclusion. I absolutely cannot see the "gaming community" having an issue with this. I would bet money that the "#EAFail" posters are not gamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #540
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Little King's Story is great so far, I'm well on my way to world domination. I like the combination of RTS, adventuring, and some light RPG elements. The music and graphics are some of the best I've seen and heard on the system as well. Overall it's living up to the hype so far, give it a shot if you like strategy games.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #541
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I'm not sure how they jump this conclusion. I absolutely cannot see the "gaming community" having an issue with this. I would bet money that the "#EAFail" posters are not gamers.

I'm sure people that are at EAFail hate EA anyways so, just posting some mock anger over anything EA would do anyways. Kind of like our political threads...
Old 07-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #542
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Playing Ghostbusters right now on the 360. Definitely a rental. Good for the nostalgia value since it is like I'm watching Ghostbusters III, but gameplay is little light.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #543
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just a heads up to PS3 owners that Fat Princess will be released on Thursday. Really excited to get this game. 32 player battles to stuff cake down the throat of a princess. It doesn't get any better than that. Early reviews have been very good.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #544
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Just a heads up to PS3 owners that Fat Princess will be released on Thursday. Really excited to get this game. 32 player battles to stuff cake down the throat of a princess. It doesn't get any better than that. Early reviews have been very good.

Looking forward to this too. But will probably wait until the fall/winter to buy it.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #545
MJ4H
Coordinator

Got to admit that sounds effing epic.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #546
Calis
College Starter

Got a chance to spend Sundat afternoon playing Wii Sports resort with a friend. Very impressed. Tiger Woods had me convinced of Motion Plus already but this game really hammers it home.

Standouts are the ones you'd expect with Bowling and Table Tennis both being extremely well done. Was surprised how much fun we had with the basketball. It is simplistic but challenging and there is some strategy involved.

Archery feels great also. Really impressed with the feel of that one.

There is some filler crap as expected. The water sports are boring, and the dogfights are nothing special. I can't see bicycling or canoeing holding up either.

Swordfighting is a blast also and I can't wait to see a game flesh this out.

This was how I enivisioned the Wii controllers working from the start. I think we are finally there.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #547
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
and the dogfights are nothing special.

lol what!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #548
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Got a chance to spend Sundat afternoon playing Wii Sports resort with a friend. Very impressed. Tiger Woods had me convinced of Motion Plus already but this game really hammers it home.

Standouts are the ones you'd expect with Bowling and Table Tennis both being extremely well done. Was surprised how much fun we had with the basketball. It is simplistic but challenging and there is some strategy involved.

Archery feels great also. Really impressed with the feel of that one.

There is some filler crap as expected. The water sports are boring, and the dogfights are nothing special. I can't see bicycling or canoeing holding up either.

Swordfighting is a blast also and I can't wait to see a game flesh this out.

This was how I enivisioned the Wii controllers working from the start. I think we are finally there.

I picked it up for my son on Sunday. It's a very good upgrade from the original Wii Sports and, as always, Nintendo did a great job with the controls. Archery is really nice and even the frisbee game is pretty cool and shows off just how accurate the motion plus controls are.

I want to see someone other than Nintendo actually use the controls in a way other than just simply waggling the controller when the screen prompts you to, though. Wii motion plus is cool, but Nintendo should be embarrassed it took them this long to get the controls as promised when the system launched.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #549
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Wii motion plus is cool, but Nintendo should be embarrassed it took them this long to get the controls as promised when the system launched.

I found these comments to be interesting. I listen to a few podcasts each week covering the industry and these sentiments popped up on more than one podcast. The CAGcast was specifically one that discussed this issue where they felt like the release of WiiMotion+ hammered home two points......

1. Nintendo was admitting with the release of WM+ that the original design wasn't up to snuff as had been mentioned by many consumers.

2. Nintendo always finds a way to make you feel good about buying more plastic add-ons that really should have never been needed in the first place.

I did hear one other podcast that even brought out the conspiracy card (i.e. Nintendo underdesigned the original controller knowing they could release the WM+ later and get more money). I'm not buying that in any way, but I'm somewhat amazed at how willing some Nintendo users are to purchase more accessories that are little more than charging $20 per controller to 'patch' the existing controller.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #550
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
...I'm somewhat amazed at how willing some Nintendo users are to purchase more accessories that are little more than charging $20 per controller to 'patch' the existing controller.

And many of us were amazed at how many Sony users were willing to pay $200 just to get a Blu-Ray player added on to their console

Every manufacturer has their accessories and add-ons they want to sell. Don't make like Nintendo is somehow "special". The initial controller they released worked very well and took the industry by storm; any attempts to turn that into a failure are just flying in the face of the facts.