Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2020, 07:47 PM   #19301
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So Rick Moranis is coming out of retirement to film a 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids" sequel.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:54 PM   #19302
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So Rick Moranis is coming out of retirement to film a 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids" sequel.

Lord only knows, if there was ever a reason to end a retirement ...
Old 02-13-2020, 04:19 PM   #19303
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I oh so hate haggling over car prices. Hate hate hate with an extra side of hate.

Put an offer in over the phone on a vehicle after driving it. Very nicely kept used car, just hilariously overpriced. We'll see what they say when they call back.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:35 PM   #19304
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
I just bought a vending machine soda with my watch.

Wait... how?
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:50 PM   #19305
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Wait... how?

Some payment enabled smartwatch, and a newfangled pop machine that can accept electronic payments.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:42 AM   #19306
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

We're currently deep in the process of deciding among three options for middle school for my oldest child. For various reasons, it's not an easy call. True to my text sim nature, last night I created and presented to my wife and 10-year-old a spreadsheet comparing the pros and cons of all three.

I need intervention, y'all.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:30 AM   #19307
miked
College Starter

I live in Dekalb County, the land of crappy schools. We currently have 4 middle schools we are looking at and I too created a rubric for scoring them on various categories. I think my daughter secretly threw it out, so no intervention here.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #19308
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I live in Dekalb County, the land of crappy schools. We currently have 4 middle schools we are looking at and I too created a rubric for scoring them on various categories. I think my daughter secretly threw it out, so no intervention here.
Currently, my wife’s copy is folded, on the table next to the chair where she was sitting last night, likely never to be reviewed again.

My daughter’s copy? A week or two ago she got a notebook and decorated the cover. Said notebook is where she’s taking notes on everything the guidance team is telling them about preparation/registration for middle school. She trimmed the edges of the spreadsheet, and taped it into her notebook. God bless that child. ✊🏾✊🏾✊🏾
Old 02-16-2020, 07:56 AM   #19309
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
We're currently deep in the process of deciding among three options for middle school for my oldest child. For various reasons, it's not an easy call. True to my text sim nature, last night I created and presented to my wife and 10-year-old a spreadsheet comparing the pros and cons of all three.

You haven't coded a page where your daughter can enter her own preferences, tell her to wait a day and then present her the results which school got chosen?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #19310
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
You haven't coded a page where your daughter can enter her own preferences, tell her to wait a day and then present her the results which school got chosen?

One of the schools is private, and the part that has irritated me the most is that none of the school ranking web sites I've found compare public to private.

Speaking of that, miked, we're fortunate here: depending on which ranking site you believe, one of our options is between the #1 and #4 public middle school in all of NC.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:17 AM   #19311
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

One of the schools is private, and the part that has irritated me the most is that none of the school ranking web sites I've found compare public to private.

I get being able to pick private schools, but you can select from 3 public middle schools? I know there are exceptions but thought for the most part its based on where you live?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #19312
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I get being able to pick private schools, but you can select from 3 public middle schools? I know there are exceptions but thought for the most part its based on where you live?
We could select from a ton more than that if we wanted. I haven't bothered to count, but there are well over a dozen public school options for us. There are so many options here that the school system holds a "school choice expo" every year at the Greensboro Coliseum to help people be aware of what's available. The middle school that our neighborhood is zoned for is roughly top-3 in the county, among non-choice schools, so we're ignoring all the charter and magnet options that are lotteries, and just focusing on...

a. the 'academic excellence' magnet that just accepts the top 75ish kids each year based on grades and test scores. (No lottery, and as mentioned above, it's considered one of the top tiny handful of public middle schools in the state.)
b. the private school near us
c. the school we're zoned for

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-16-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #19313
miked
College Starter

Quote:

Don't forget magnet and charter. We have 1 super mediocre one that is public, but a few charter and magnets, plus some privates as well. It's either pay the $$ or move to Johns Creek and spend half my day in a car...
Old 02-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #19314
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Good F***ing lord! Is Duncanville what passes for entertainment these days?
Old 02-17-2020, 12:52 PM   #19315
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
All I can say is fuck carpenter ants. Didn't even realize I had any until I noticed a bubble of paint on a door frame in my bathroom. Touched the bubble, and there was nothing behind it. Pried the trim off of the wall, and the damn things burrowed through most of it, and up into the wood above the door.

Have an exterminator coming out, but I'm fearful that they did more damage up in the attic. I sure hope not.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:20 PM   #19316
lungs
Pro Rookie

I’m amazed that Ryan Newman survived that crash.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:30 PM   #19317
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

The evolution in safety over the last several years is amazing. Hope his injuries aren't anything that will hurt his quality of life.

I wish people would ease up on Hamlin. No way he could have known how bad it was and as soon as he learned he completely toned down, as did his whole team.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:35 PM   #19318
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I wish people would ease up on Hamlin. No way he could have known how bad it was and as soon as he learned he completely toned down, as did his whole team.

Agree. Nobody told him anything until he pulled into Victory Lane.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #19319
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Joe Gibbs came out later and issued an apology, saying they simply had no idea about the severity of the situation.

Coming from Gibbs, I find that entirely & completely credible.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:03 AM   #19320
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

Yep. I was scared as Hell he was a goner. Especially when LaJoie slammed into his driver side as he was in the air.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #19321
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:

Similar spot for me. My 13-year old is deciding between 3 public high school options and has to make a decision by Friday. Ye olde spreadsheet of pros and cons was prepared. Daughter won't have anything to do with it. She appears to be completely paralyzed by the decision-making process but won't accept any parental assistance with trying to formulate an approach to make the decision. Frustrating, because she's usually very level-headed. And as grown-ups, we know how much establishing a structure to the decision-making process can help with reducing the stress.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:59 PM   #19322
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Substituting Salt and Pepper Kettle Chips for tortilla chips to make nachos is a terrible idea.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #19323
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
All I can say is fuck carpenter ants. Didn't even realize I had any until I noticed a bubble of paint on a door frame in my bathroom. Touched the bubble, and there was nothing behind it. Pried the trim off of the wall, and the damn things burrowed through most of it, and up into the wood above the door.

Have an exterminator coming out, but I'm fearful that they did more damage up in the attic. I sure hope not.

Exterminator came today. They weren't carpenter ants, they were termites. I've never seen any around the place. He found that they were coming up through the foundation around the pipes in the slab. It is amazing they can do that, because on that side of the house the slab is 4 feet thick.

I went in the attic, and looked for any obvious damage, but the way my rooms are laid out, I can't get closer than about 15 feet to the area. I'm going to cut an access panel to that part of the attic in my closet, so I can get a closer look.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:14 PM   #19324
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The evolution in safety over the last several years is amazing. Hope his injuries aren't anything that will hurt his quality of life.

Yup. When I saw that crash I figured no human could possibly survive that. Sure he's banged up bad but to be able to survive that is a testament to the people who make those cars.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:31 PM   #19325
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Substituting Salt and Pepper Kettle Chips for tortilla chips to make nachos is a terrible idea.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:53 PM   #19326
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Exterminator came today. They weren't carpenter ants, they were termites. I've never seen any around the place. He found that they were coming up through the foundation around the pipes in the slab. It is amazing they can do that, because on that side of the house the slab is 4 feet thick.

I went in the attic, and looked for any obvious damage, but the way my rooms are laid out, I can't get closer than about 15 feet to the area. I'm going to cut an access panel to that part of the attic in my closet, so I can get a closer look.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:55 AM   #19327
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Every dream I had last night was in slow motion. Unbelievably tilting.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #19328
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

My doctor was arrested yesterday for opioid/medicare fraud. Am I right to be concerned about what kind of care I have been recieving these past several years? I am a hypochondriac to begin with, can't imagine what tests I was sent for was just to possibly return favors. Or should I just assume a doctor is still a doctor at heart and that while he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar so to say he still provided great care to his patients as well?

St. Louis County doctors face federal charges in opioid prescription bust | FOX2now.com

Last edited by panerd : 02-19-2020 at 03:17 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:38 PM   #19329
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I mean there is a chance he was overcharging your insurance. Any unnecessary tests you recall?

Though I don't think you were harmed much.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:52 PM   #19330
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
should I just assume a doctor is still a doctor at heart

If there's anything I've learned from watching Forensic Files, it's that some doctors don't seem to care too much for morals or well-being of others.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:47 PM   #19331
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
My doctor was arrested yesterday for opioid/medicare fraud. Am I right to be concerned about what kind of care I have been recieving these past several years? I am a hypochondriac to begin with, can't imagine what tests I was sent for was just to possibly return favors. Or should I just assume a doctor is still a doctor at heart and that while he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar so to say he still provided great care to his patients as well?

St. Louis County doctors face federal charges in opioid prescription bust | FOX2now.com

My dad was a pharmacist and owned his own drug store. Knew a few other guys who got in trouble for similar back in the day. We talked about it a few times. They were all great pharmacists and dedicated to their communities (this was before the Walgreens of the world were prevalent), and just fell in to some kind of financial trouble so they started selling samples, etc...Is it possible your doctor was terrible and using you as a lab rat, most certainly. It is far more likely he was doing it to pay student loans while maintaining a lifestyle he couldn't afford, house, boat, kids private school, country club, etc....
Old 02-19-2020, 07:31 PM   #19332
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

My gut says it's unlikely to have impacted your care a whole lot.

At the scale that seems to be suggested here, there probably wasn't a need to send you on a testing scavenger hunt, the profit was likely coming from this instead.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:13 PM   #19333
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

You should definitely feel concerned. From the outside looking in, I'd look for another doctor. If you want to confirm if you were impacted, look through your claims line by line and see if everything is accurate. Some billers will "upcode" to get more money. Say your typical visit is $50.00, but it was coded as an extended visit billed at $100.00. That's upcoding. Also get a copy of your medical records and make sure they're accurate. Some doctors will enter false diagnosis and medical conditions, or will put more severe conditions than patients actually have. They do that so these fraudulent claims get sent for payment.

Not all doctors (and labs, too) are created equal. In my previous professional life, I worked Medical Billing and I can't begin to tell you how many labs went belly up for falsifying claims to Medicare. There's so much fraud out there, it's eye opening. And maddening.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:22 PM   #19334
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah I got sent for a lot of tests. Like I said earlier I am definitely a hypochondriac so I likely was not against him doing it but what kind of money would he actually make if he wasn't doing the tests himself? And I can get my records just by asking? I may watch too much Seinfeld, I thought it would be a lot harder than that.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:33 PM   #19335
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah I got sent for a lot of tests. Like I said earlier I am definitely a hypochondriac so I likely was not against him doing it but what kind of money would he actually make if he wasn't doing the tests himself? And I can get my records just by asking? I may watch too much Seinfeld, I thought it would be a lot harder than that.

The doctor wouldn't get money for labs, unless they were in cahoots. You can absolutely get a copy of your medical records, it's your legal right under HIPAA. You might get charged for them though, but nothing unreasonable.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:37 PM   #19336
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The doctor wouldn't get money for labs, unless they were in cahoots. You can absolutely get a copy of your medical records, it's your legal right under HIPAA. You might get charged for them though, but nothing unreasonable.

Yeah like Jon said he was probably making plenty off this opioid scheme that he wasn't doing quid pro quo for tests but I do wonder about the billing. The type of doctor that would give out opioids knowing their dangers would probably have no issue charging me 100 instead of 50 etc...

I just ask my.doctors office for my records under a HIPAA request? Would be interested just to see what they say.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #19337
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah like Jon said he was probably making plenty off this opioid scheme that he wasn't doing quid pro quo for tests but I do wonder about the billing. The type of doctor that would give out opioids knowing their dangers would probably have no issue charging me 100 instead of 50 etc...

I just ask my.doctors office for my records under a HIPAA request? Would be interested just to see what they say.

Yup. You don't even have to say all that, if you don't want. "I would like a copy of my medical records", should suffice.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #19338
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

My son gets robbed of an award from school. They give two kids the award for tying the highest SAT score in the senior class. The problem is my son beat their scores by 200 points.
We contact the school, and the Principal apologizes and promises to fix the problem. Then our son comes home upset, because the two kids are his friends. My son has a special heart, yet I feel like the worst parent ever.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:08 PM   #19339
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
My son gets robbed of an award from school. They give two kids the award for tying the highest SAT score in the senior class. The problem is my son beat their scores by 200 points.
We contact the school, and the Principal apologizes and promises to fix the problem. Then our son comes home upset, because the two kids are his friends. My son has a special heart, yet I feel like the worst parent ever.

Friendships complicate stuff like this, but if your son was the winner fair and square I would hope his friends and their parents understand. I suspect how the principal handles it will go a long way.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:39 PM   #19340
Edward64
Head Coach

Costco's $1.50 hot dog & soda is a great deal. Whenever we go shopping there (more often than not planned around lunch time), I grab the hot dog meal afterwards. I do wish they have fries to go with it though.

This Costco Membership Change Has Us Quaking In Our Boots
Quote:
There’s a lot to love about Costco. We can stock up on healthy gluten-free foods to make weeknight cooking a breeze (hello, everything bagel cod), fill our cars up with gas, and load our fridge with our favorite Starbucks ready-to-drink items. But one of the best things about Costco is that for the longest time, even if you weren’t a member (or just hadn’t gotten around to renewing yours yet), you could stop at the food court to get a hot dog and a soda for $1.50, one of the cheapest lunch deals around. Well apparently, that’s all about to change — it’s rumored that beginning this March, only those with an active Costco membership will be allowed to buy food from the food court.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:38 PM   #19341
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Costco's $1.50 hot dog & soda is a great deal. Whenever we go shopping there (more often than not planned around lunch time), I grab the hot dog meal afterwards. I do wish they have fries to go with it though.

Their pizza is cheap and good too. Saw something about how they're the 14th biggest pizza chain in the country which is crazy.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #19342
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Their pizza is cheap and good too. Saw something about how they're the 14th biggest pizza chain in the country which is crazy.

I've never had their pizza. I've tried the polish hot dog which is good too. I'll try the pizza next time.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:58 PM   #19343
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I've never had their pizza. I've tried the polish hot dog which is good too. I'll try the pizza next time.

I love it, you only need one slice.

I used to work right down the street from one. Once a week I would figure I'd pop in and get cheap lunch. Only problem was I would inevitably buy $42 worth of shit I didn't need.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:44 AM   #19344
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sams Club pizza is kind of gross
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:53 AM   #19345
spleen1015
Coordinator

Anyone else have periods where you're just bored?

No video games hold my interest for more than 30 minutes or so. There are some good shows I'd like to watch but I find after a few minutes I'm bored and distracted.

The only thing I can stand to do right now is read and that's only for short bursts, but I can come back to the same book later.

I find myself just surfing the internet with no purpose or refreshing twitter.

Pretty lame right now.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:00 AM   #19346
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Anyone else have periods where you're just bored?

No video games hold my interest for more than 30 minutes or so. There are some good shows I'd like to watch but I find after a few minutes I'm bored and distracted.

The only thing I can stand to do right now is read and that's only for short bursts, but I can come back to the same book later.

I find myself just surfing the internet with no purpose or refreshing twitter.

Pretty lame right now.

yeah, especially when my wife is travelling and the kids have been put to bed. That period between 8:30-10:30 I tend to shamble about aimlessly. I'll bet some sports or fire up a game but same as you I lose interest pretty quick. Slay the Spire is really the only game that holds my interest, and I don't want to start any projects because I'll know I want to go to bed soon.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #19347
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Even though I love their hot dogs I used to go in and get a soda and a couple of slices of pizza. Then I wised up...

The proper way to eat costco is to first get the dog and soda then, when done, get a slice of pizza
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #19348
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
yeah, especially when my wife is travelling and the kids have been put to bed. That period between 8:30-10:30 I tend to shamble about aimlessly. I'll bet some sports or fire up a game but same as you I lose interest pretty quick. Slay the Spire is really the only game that holds my interest, and I don't want to start any projects because I'll know I want to go to bed soon.

Slay the Spire is part of a Humble Bundle right now.

I assume you recommend it?
Old 02-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #19349
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Slay the Spire is part of a Humble Bundle right now.

I assume you recommend it?

One of my favorite games ever.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:05 PM   #19350
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

It boggles my mind that if you're not a member of Costco, you can go in and eat. wtf are those greeters there for? they always ask for a card.