Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #51
miami_fan
Coordinator

Is the Union goalkeeper always this shaky?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #52
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Andre Blake is actually a very good goalkeeper. He was MLS Goalkeeper of the Year in 2016 and was on the 2019 All Star Team. That was a very strange poor performance by him.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #53
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Andre Blake is actually a very good goalkeeper. He was MLS Goalkeeper of the Year in 2016 and was on the 2019 All Star Team. That was a very strange poor performance by him.

That is why I described him as the Union keeper. I know Andre Blake as Jamaica's number one that is very impressive. I don't watch a lot of Union games so I was not sure what the deal was. Yesterday, he really looked like he had met his center backs for the first time during warmups.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #54
miami_fan
Coordinator

So whose fault is it now, Arsenal fans?
Old 10-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #55
AlexB
Pro Starter

One very happy Leicester fan right now
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #56
AlexB
Pro Starter

Even happier now!
Old 10-25-2019, 04:11 PM   #57
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Even happier now!

Classless performance! Running up the score against ten men, LFC should have took the foot off the gas... and ...and...

Sorry, I tried. I don’t believe in any of that stuff Dominant performance by Leicester.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #58
AlexB
Pro Starter

The weird thing is we didn’t seem to deliberately destroy them, we played our normal game and it just kinda happened. Which is even more exciting.

Granted they were poor, and gave up after the third (and their shape until we scored the third played into our hands), but I have never seen a Leicester side so clinical.

I almost ache from smiling so much
Old 10-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #59
miami_fan
Coordinator

Wait... Southhampton has to play Man City next?!
Old 10-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #60
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Wait... Southhampton has to play Man City next?!

Twice next week!
Old 10-28-2019, 05:26 PM   #61
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Apparently, I spoke too soon. Dest has been getting hyped for a week or two now by the Amsterdam-centric media.
Team USA it is for Dest, apparently he announced that today.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:56 PM   #62
Critch
lolzcat

Dont know if this belongs in here or in the Strange News thread:

Serie A blasphemy bans: Francesco Magnanelli & Matteo Scozzarella suspended

Apparently a player was banned for blasphemy last season too.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:32 AM   #63
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Dont know if this belongs in here or in the Strange News thread:

Serie A blasphemy bans: Francesco Magnanelli & Matteo Scozzarella suspended

Apparently a player was banned for blasphemy last season too.

Which league/coutry was this? Thats hilarious.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:27 AM   #64
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Italy, which takes this very seriously.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #65
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You start to get the feeling this is going to be Liverpool's season.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #66
bhlloy
Coordinator

Firstly, do NOT google Andre Gomes’ injury under any circumstances. Just save yourself the trouble, worst I’ve seen in years.

Secondly, what an awful decision by VAR to send off Son. Just... no. Sucks about the injury but the tackle is a yellow at best. On top of all the other VAR related garbage this weekend, it’s just ruining the game.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #67
miami_fan
Coordinator

Premier League to consider ban on heading at academy level following landmark report linking dementia and football

Are the Premier League teams "going soft" or is it just that U.S. Soccer were ahead of its time?
Old 11-03-2019, 06:57 PM   #68
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Firstly, do NOT google Andre Gomes’ injury under any circumstances. Just save yourself the trouble, worst I’ve seen in years.

Secondly, what an awful decision by VAR to send off Son. Just... no. Sucks about the injury but the tackle is a yellow at best. On top of all the other VAR related garbage this weekend, it’s just ruining the game.

The results from all the hoops that the Premier League jumped through to differentiate their system from every one else has been hilarious to watch.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:24 PM   #69
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Italy, which takes this very seriously.

As is this.

Napoli players told to spend week at training ground following poor form

The idea of say the New York Knicks with their 1-6 start being restricted to their practice facility in Westchester is funny.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #70
MIJB#19
Coordinator

The second half in the Chelsea - Ajax game was one of the weirdest I have ever seen in a football match.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #71
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, today's news was.. unexpected.

Bleacher Report will be losing the UEFA Champions League/Europa League rights starting in 21-22.. that's not a surprise, they really half-assed it with their bleacher report service, etcetera.

What is a surprise?

Who bought the English Language rights...

CBS Sports.

No, I'm not kidding.

Apparently it will be part of CBS All-Access as well as CBS Sports Network.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #72
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As is this.

Napoli players told to spend week at training ground following poor form

The idea of say the New York Knicks with their 1-6 start being restricted to their practice facility in Westchester is funny.

The funny thing is that the players said no, the coaches said no, and Napoli still tried to force it on them, and is threatening all means of retaliation.

(Seriously, if you read a book on Italian football history, such as Winning at All Costs,that's one of the reasons why English players failed so often when moving to Serie A, you try telling a Premier League player that he has to be home and in bed by 10 PM. (now, this was many many years ago, but still)
Old 11-09-2019, 06:48 AM   #73
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Well, today's news was.. unexpected.

Bleacher Report will be losing the UEFA Champions League/Europa League rights starting in 21-22.. that's not a surprise, they really half-assed it with their bleacher report service, etcetera.

What is a surprise?

Who bought the English Language rights...

CBS Sports.

No, I'm not kidding.

Apparently it will be part of CBS All-Access as well as CBS Sports Network.

Good move just to get it away from Bleacher Report. In related news, Bundesliga is moving to ESPN/ESPN+ next season. I am here for that.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #74
miami_fan
Coordinator

Are USMNT supporters happy for Christian Pulisic's Chelsea success?

It does not feel like there is the joy and pride in him among USMNT supporters as there was in Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey when they were overseas. Maybe Pulisic is just meeting our expectation of USMNT star now.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #75
AlexB
Pro Starter

Beginning to think we're actually pretty good...
Old 11-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #76
tarcone
Coordinator

Owners of the new St Louis MLS team are building the stadium privately. It will be 22000 people. L:ooks awesome. Looks like they will develop the area around the stadium as well.

When pro sports are good.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:27 PM   #77
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Good move just to get it away from Bleacher Report. In related news, Bundesliga is moving to ESPN/ESPN+ next season. I am here for that.

What does that leave for Fox Soccer Matchpass?

They've lost Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana, they've moved the rugby and Aussie rules off it to make it Soccer-only, now they're losing the only thing they had left.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #78
AlexB
Pro Starter

I I'm no fan of Jamie Redknapp, but he's just made a good point: who out of the Arsenal team would get into the Leicester team? I don't think there's any, which is a damning indictment of Arsenal tbh
Old 11-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #79
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What does that leave for Fox Soccer Matchpass?

They've lost Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana, they've moved the rugby and Aussie rules off it to make it Soccer-only, now they're losing the only thing they had left.

Dead as a doornail most likely. Same with Fox Soccer +
Old 11-09-2019, 05:12 PM   #80
AlexB
Pro Starter

I’m putting it out there... Wilfrid Ndidi is better than N’golo Kante.

Kante is still awesome, but Ndidi is unbelievably good.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #81
miami_fan
Coordinator

Spurs has sacked Mauricio Pochettino.

I turned on Talksport and the first caller has called for Mourinho. So predictable.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #82
BishopMVP
Coordinator

A lot of increased chatter about Charlotte getting MLS team #30. I don't love that they're planning to play in BoA, but maybe Atlanta's success makes that more palatable than building a 20,000ish SSS. Charlotte City Council still seems reluctant to spend $$$ to support just that, but there's going to be money poured into keeping the Panthers so they can fold the two together & sell it more easily than if it were just for an MLS team.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #83
miami_fan
Coordinator

The 2019 MLS Expansion Draft will be held at 5:30 PM ET on Tuesday, November 19.

A friend of mine just sent me this in a text message and it is the first time I am hearing about this. I checked ESPN's front page, nothing about it. I checked ESPN's soccer page, nothing about it. I went to Fox Sports (btw I thought ESPN's site was bad, whew boy Foxsports), nothing there. Fox Sports' soccer page? Nothing there either.

Weird marketing strategy there, MLS
Old 11-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #84
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The 2019 MLS Expansion Draft will be held at 5:30 PM ET on Tuesday, November 19.

A friend of mine just sent me this in a text message and it is the first time I am hearing about this. I checked ESPN's front page, nothing about it. I checked ESPN's soccer page, nothing about it. I went to Fox Sports (btw I thought ESPN's site was bad, whew boy Foxsports), nothing there. Fox Sports' soccer page? Nothing there either.

Weird marketing strategy there, MLS

MLS fans have known about this for a while. And especially after MLS Cup. It was big news when we saw who was protected and who wasn't (revealed on Saturday)

MLS just isn't really all that covered well by ESPN or Fox.

Hell the draft is only broadcast on MLSsoccer.com for a reason.

And generally speaking a lot of these players won't be the core of the new teams either (or even start that much).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-19-2019 at 04:34 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #85
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
MLS fans have known about this for a while.

Even some non-fans knew.

(I'd seen ... and read ... the AJC coverage of the protected list just to see how many names I recognized primarily from FM)
Old 11-19-2019, 07:28 PM   #86
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
MLS fans have known about this for a while. And especially after MLS Cup. It was big news when we saw who was protected and who wasn't (revealed on Saturday)

MLS just isn't really all that covered well by ESPN or Fox.

Hell the draft is only broadcast on MLSsoccer.com for a reason.

And generally speaking a lot of these players won't be the core of the new teams either (or even start that much).

What about those fans who are just getting into MLS as fans of Inter Miami CF or Nashville SC?

I chose those two networks as those are the two places I go to see MLS. I was not expecting them to broadcast the draft. I was surprised of no mention at all from a network partner.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #87
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What about those fans who are just getting into MLS as fans of Inter Miami CF or Nashville SC?

I chose those two networks as those are the two places I go to see MLS. I was not expecting them to broadcast the draft. I was surprised of no mention at all from a network partner.

Honestly, I suspect the best coverage from that standpoint might come from the local outlet(s) in the market.

In looking today to see if anyone from Atlanta was selected, the first Google result was a detailed account of all the selections for Miami, from the Miami newspaper. That fits hand in hand with the reason I knew the expansion draft was this week (coverage in the Atlanta newspaper).
Old 11-19-2019, 08:41 PM   #88
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Spurs has sacked Mauricio Pochettino.

I turned on Talksport and the first caller has called for Mourinho. So predictable.

Sky Sports News says Mourinho gets the Spurs job in the next 24 hours.

Where Pochettino goes will be the interesting part, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer must be having a sleepless night.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #89
bhlloy
Coordinator

Pretty stoked that I'll (hopefully) be getting to go to watch Wales at a second major tournament. A pretty incredible turnaround after losing 2 of the first 3 games in a tough group.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #90
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Sky Sports News says Mourinho gets the Spurs job in the next 24 hours

So a hundred million euros transfer kitty in January for the Special One?
Old 11-19-2019, 11:03 PM   #91
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The biggest name selected was Lee Nguyen formally of LAFC (and New England before that). The second biggest name was, who, Ben Sweat of NYCFC? Zarek Valentin of Portland?

These aren't exactly going to move the needle all that much. That is one of the big reasons why the ESPNs and Fox Sports aren't covering it that much. There was an article on ESPN about the results however:

Inter Miami picks Lee Nguyen in MLS Expansion Draft, Nashville takes Abu Danladi
Old 11-19-2019, 11:06 PM   #92
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

How is this on MLS? It's not ideal, but I don't think there was a concerted effort to hide the draft, ESPN & FS just chose not to dedicate resources to it. And to Imran's other point, even if MLS can try and pull strings to increase eyeballs getting the networks to cover DP signings is much more valuable than this expansion draft of fringe starters at best.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:09 AM   #93
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sky Sports News says Mourinho gets the Spurs job in the next 24 hours.

Didn't even take that long.

Timestamp on the story is 138a eastern (U.S.) time.

Jose Mourinho takes over as new Tottenham Hotspur manager
Old 11-20-2019, 07:15 AM   #94
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Amazon Prime are filming a documentary following Spurs for the year, they've picked a good year for it.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #95
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Jose Mourinho and Tottenham Hotspur, that sounds like a horrible mismatch.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #96
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Jose Mourinho and Tottenham Hotspur, that sounds like a horrible mismatch.
Why? you think pairing a team with a history of creative offensive players with a coach who employs a clogged toilet offense to draw half his games is a bad fit?
Old 11-23-2019, 12:37 PM   #97
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So I'm watching my first EPL match this year (I usually don't care) and I really like how NBC has flattened the score graphic. I thought the faux 3d score graphic with big drop shadows looked very last decade.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2019, 07:15 AM   #98
miami_fan
Coordinator

Unai Emery has been relieved of his duties at Arsenal.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:36 AM   #99
kingfc22
Head Coach

Thank god.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:10 AM   #100
miami_fan
Coordinator

Ozil permanently in?