The defense however ...

HEY the black shirts will win

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:16 PM   #103
bhlloy
Coordinator

Did USC just find another QB, except this time one who basically didn't have any other power-5 offers? A half of football doesn't a career make, but he looks good...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:56 AM   #104
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Did USC just find another QB, except this time one who basically didn't have any other power-5 offers? A half of football doesn't a career make, but he looks good...
I thought Oregon State offered? But yeah, either this is a very bad Stanford defense or he's something. 28-33 377? Wow.

Also, if this keeps up it'll be funny to see the Helton/Harrell dynamic & how the fanbase treats the two.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #105
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Gameday is going to be in Ames for Iowa/ISU

Iowa going to get some great press. We need that

People would probably care if it weren't inept Rutgers.

RU QBs threw for 40 yards on 26 attempts and 2 picks. I would credit Iowa but it seems like this is about par for the course for RU over the last few years (Shitkowski 4.2 YPA and 4-18 TD-INT last year). Sometimes you have to cut your losses and admit you were wrong. Chris Ash must have naked pictures of Paul Robeson they way he continues to get chances.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #106
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
People would probably care if it weren't inept Rutgers.

RU QBs threw for 40 yards on 26 attempts and 2 picks. I would credit Iowa but it seems like this is about par for the course for RU over the last few years (Shitkowski 4.2 YPA and 4-18 TD-INT last year). Sometimes you have to cut your losses and admit you were wrong. Chris Ash must have naked pictures of Paul Robeson they way he continues to get chances.

Both of Rutgers QBs were terrible. Some credit goes to Iowas D line, esp. Epenesa. But, those 2 guys were as bad as they get.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #107
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I didn't expect 38-7 but it wasn't very far from my expectation. This offensive line is probably the worst of P5s. Neal Brown is all about creating a culture and too many guys left the program this summer to be competitive this year. He has his work cut out for him and he needs to show he can put a competent offense on the field because he failed to do that at Troy and isn't off to a good start at WVU.

In other news, Florida State putting up a hell of a fight against UL Monroe.

I didn't expect that either, not with our defense. They tried going deep on us early, which typically works.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:56 AM   #108
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just finished watching the Husky game. Can't remember the last time I was so annoyed by them. Can't use the weather delay as an excuse, both teams had to wait it out. This was the sloppiest I have seen them in a long time. Dropped passes, missed receivers, blown tackles, poor end game management, etc...Just a brutal game to watch.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #109
miked
College Starter

FBS teams which have been shutout more than twice since 2016:;

Rutgers (7)
UTEP (3)
Old 09-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #110
tarcone
Coordinator

Well, at least Rutgers can claim the birth of college football. So they have that going for them.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #111
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just finished watching the Husky game. Can't remember the last time I was so annoyed by them. Can't use the weather delay as an excuse, both teams had to wait it out. This was the sloppiest I have seen them in a long time. Dropped passes, missed receivers, blown tackles, poor end game management, etc...Just a brutal game to watch.
First time in a long time I can remember a UW defense under Kwiatkowski/Lake that was so frequently blowing fundamental things like gap integrity and proper tackling technique. Joe Tryon is a physical specimen but he's freelancing out there waaaaaaay too much and he got burned several times. The drops by the receivers were killers too.

The thing about the weather is the 2.5 hour delay (game re-started at 10:30 local time) reduced the crowd to less than 1/3 capacity. Those that remained did their best to make noise, but it was less than it would have been without the delay.

I've taken for granted that UW's defense reloads instead of rebuilds, but the youth on that side clearly needs some more seasoning to reach their (considerable) potential.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #112
tarcone
Coordinator

IT'S HATE WEEK. And ESPN Gameday is there for it. Iowa travels to Ames to play Iowa State.

This is a big game. Matt Campbell has done a nice job at an impossible place to win.

Iowa State believes this is their Super Bowl. They would rather beat Iowa than go to a bowl game.

I hate Iowa State.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #113
miami_fan
Coordinator

This seems appropriate for this thread as I only knew of T. Boone Pickens as the guy who supports OSU football. Does Jerry Jones take the lead now?

RIP

T. Boone Pickens, billionaire OK St. donor, dies
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #114
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Oh my god, Kansas won a road game vs a P5 team for the first time since 2008! And they smoked Boston College to do it...

Weak slate of games. I guess Iowa/Iowa State & Florida/Kentucky are the highlights? Maybe Syracuse can knock out Trevor Lawrence and keep it close again vs Clemson.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Weak slate of games. I guess Iowa/Iowa State & Florida/Kentucky are the highlights? Maybe Syracuse can knock out Trevor Lawrence and keep it close again vs Clemson.

It ain't exactly a lot of must-see TV on the slate.

A couple of other down-ballot games that are kind of interesting in some fashion are Nebraska vs NIU and maybe Michigan State-Arizona State, with UCF-Stanford a bit less than those.

Otherwise, it's a day where the interesting viewing seems limited to teams you're already a fan of and any stray upsets that might start brewing.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:54 AM   #116
tarcone
Coordinator

First time since week 7 of 2017 no ranked teams are playing against each other. That week there were like 7 upsets.

Pitt/PSU could be good.

I cannot wait for Iowa/ISU.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #117
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Furman up 14-3 on Virginia Tech in the 3rd. I was at the Furman-Georgia State game last week and watched them give up 48 points. A P5 OC who can't figure out how to score against that defense should not be employed the next day.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #118
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT trails Citadel 14-6 at the half.

per Elias, it's the largest margin Tech has trailed a non-FBS team by at the half since NCAA classification play began in 1937.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #119
Atocep
Coordinator

What Neal Brown did with this WVU team from last week to this week is impressive.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #120
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Temple held Maryland on a goal line stand with like 4 minutes left. They went 3 and out and their punter shanked it, giving Maryland 1st and goal immediately. Temple's defense held again.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #121
Jas_lov
College Starter

Pitt kicked a FG from the 1 yard line down 7 with less than five minutes to play in the 4th quarter. They deserved to lose after that dumb decision. And they didnt even make the FG!
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #122
tarcone
Coordinator

This is Iowa's 2nd toughest game on their schedule. Only behind Wiscy. I say that because PsU and scUM suck.

Old 09-14-2019, 03:16 PM   #123
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

local headline reads "Georgia Tech stunned by Citadel"

The only thing "stunning" about this collection of scholarship thieves and fraudulent "coaches" is if they win a fucking game.

This @#$%@#$ assclown is like watching Butch Jones all over again -- all talk, no ability -- and he's got a lot less of a roster than Butch baby had.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #124
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
This is Iowa's 2nd toughest game on their schedule. Only behind Wiscy. I say that because PsU and scUM suck.

You dont think very highly of the BIG apparently
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #125
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

The only thing "stunning" about this collection of scholarship thieves and fraudulent "coaches" is if they win a fucking game.

This @#$%@#$ assclown is like watching Butch Jones all over again -- all talk, no ability -- and he's got a lot less of a roster than Butch baby had.

Between Tennessee and Georgia Tech

And now Ole Miss is struggling with SW Louisiana

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-14-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #126
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
What Neal Brown did with this WVU team from last week to this week is impressive.

Amazing turnaround.

After the first two games, I was legitimately feeling like we could go 1-11 this year. I’m hoping that Missouri is just really, really good, but NC State’s QB may just be real bad.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #127
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
You dont think very highly of the BIG apparently

Yes and no. I think Iowa is that good. And I think most teams int he B1G are overrrated.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
And now Ole Miss is struggling with SW Louisiana

That's no surprise at all.

No coaching to be found in Oxford, hasn't been in some two years now. If Matt Luke has an IQ over 80 I'd be shocked.

edit: And, yes, I realize what that belief indicates about the state of academics there

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-14-2019 at 05:45 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #129
bob
College Starter

Quote:

So I knew going into this year that it was Year 0, and that next year could be another Year 0. And so did the AD given the 7 year contract they gave him. That being said, I'm worried that they hired a marketing coordinator rather than a coach. A lot of the social media stuff seems really silly right now, and I have no clue what they are doing on offense.

Also, stop calling third down "money down" when you are letting the fucking Citadel convert at a 70% clip.

Unrelated note: I don't think I've ever see the QB return a kickoff 50+ yards. That happened today for GT.

Last edited by bob : 09-14-2019 at 05:50 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #130
bob
College Starter

Further note on GT: I won't be shocked if they stumble into another win somewhere given the state of the ACC, but I'm having trouble finding one on the rest of the schedule. And I might have to find a long hike on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #131
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Amazing turnaround.

After the first two games, I was legitimately feeling like we could go 1-11 this year. I’m hoping that Missouri is just really, really good, but NC State’s QB may just be real bad.

I wasn't buying into how bad the talent Holgorsen left behind was. I knew it wasn't great by any means, but it's not as bad as fans were making it out to be in order to cover for Brown through the first 2 games.

I do think with the number of freshman Brown played today along with essentially benching his starting LG, C, RG combined with today's performance shows that there are problems with the upperclassmen buying in. Those guys should have received a wake up call.

Dana did leave the team absolutely stacked at receiver for the foreseeable future. Sam James could be a household name by next year and Ali Jennings and Winston Wright looked good for freshmen getting their first real time out there today.

Dante Stills has first round talent.

The kneel on the extra point was stupid and unnecessary.

I don't think this is a bowl team, but today was a good sign for a very young team with a new coach.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #132
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina had to bring themselves back to Earth after their win against Kansas, and not let a FCS school surprise them. Mission accomplished with a 46-7 win against MEAC member Norfolk State. One more non-conference game vs UMass next week before starting Sun Belt Conference games.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #133
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
and I have no clue what they are doing on offense.

It's okay, neither do they.

I don't think he's a marketing director so much as a used car salesman. The kind at the local note-n-tote lot.

Quote:
Also, stop calling third down "money down" when you are letting the fuckingCitadel convert at a 70% clip.

Thacker should have been fired before the final gun. He's utterly worthless, he's actually made a bad defense worse.

And, honestly, NOW I'm ready to declare at least 90% of the roster as scholarship thieves. There isn't a legitimate P5 player on the entire fucking roster. Release them all at the end of the year afaic. Not a goddamned one of them deserves a scholarship after today.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #134
BishopMVP
Coordinator

P5 thieves maybe, but you could probably still beat UMass by 20. Lost 52-17 to UNC-Charlotte?!? How have we gotten worse every year in the decade since we went D1?
Old 09-14-2019, 09:21 PM   #135
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa survives. And probably the dumbestplay ever. An ISU guy ran over the PR and the ball hit him in the back and Iowa recovered. So Dumb.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:43 PM   #136
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I know QBR was dumb from the start, but Ian Book went 15/24 for 360 & 5 TD's & gets am 85.5, Phil Jurkovec goes 1/1 for 52 yards (& no TD) for 77.3... and New Mexico has a player go 0/1 & get an 86.4? Wtf? New Mexico vs. Notre Dame - Box Score - September 14, 2019 - ESPN
Old 09-15-2019, 11:48 PM   #137
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I know QBR was dumb from the start, but Ian Book went 15/24 for 360 & 5 TD's & gets am 85.5, Phil Jurkovec goes 1/1 for 52 yards (& no TD) for 77.3... and New Mexico has a player go 0/1 & get an 86.4? Wtf? New Mexico vs. Notre Dame - Box Score - September 14, 2019 - ESPN

Was it a perfect pass that would have led to a TD that was dropped or something? Otherwise makes no sense.

On this boxscore the guy was 0-1 w 0.1 rating

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId=401110788

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-15-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:06 AM   #138
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is Jalen Hurts a first rounder now? I mean hell is he 1.1 even?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:57 PM   #139
booradley
High School Varsity

Quote:
It's okay, neither do they.

I don't think he's a marketing director so much as a used car salesman. The kind at the local note-n-tote lot.

Thacker should have been fired before the final gun. He's utterly worthless, he's actually made a bad defense worse.

And, honestly, NOW I'm ready to declare at least 90% of the roster as scholarship thieves. There isn't a legitimate P5 player on the entire fucking roster. Release them all at the end of the year afaic. Not a goddamned one of them deserves a scholarship after today.

I watched a condensed version of the game. GT has some athletes, but they aren't disciplined - either in terms of execution or (sadly) behavior. My impression is that they have a culture problem and will need to clean house before things can start to improve to an acceptable level.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:02 PM   #140
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
My impression is that they have a culture problem and will need to clean house before things can start to improve to an acceptable level.

When the new guy in charge is the one creating the culture, well ...
Old 09-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #141
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mike Leach is a god damned national treasure.

Morning links: Mike Leach breaks down a Pac-12 mascot battle - Deseret News
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #142
Edward64
Head Coach

Looking forward to GA vs ND game this weekend. Good game for both to prove themselves and get confidence for rest of the year.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #143
tarcone
Coordinator

If you havent caught this, you should. Its awesome.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #144
tarcone
Coordinator

Oh, Its over $67,000 now.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #145
Butter
Coordinator

I hope Michigan keeps Harbaugh 4EVA
Old 09-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #146
JPhillips
General Manager

Some observations from the Wiscy/UM game:

How could so many people think Michigan was the class of the B1G?

Shea Patterson is not very accurate.

That Wiscy O-line factory just keeps on going.

The Wiscy/OSU game is going to be great.

This has to be Harbaugh's last year, right?

Last edited by JPhillips : 09-21-2019 at 12:17 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #147
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from Twitter (@LouBrutus)

Jim Harbaugh and Michigan are being shamed like a puppy who has shat upon the carpet.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #148
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
This has to be Harbaugh's last year, right?

Unless he wins out from here, yeah I'd think so.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #149
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That was a very Ole Miss way to lose a ball game.

Not sure why the 3rd down play (next to last run) wasn't reviewed.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #150
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina didn't have much of a passing game in its first 3 games. Problem solved when one of the worse defenses in the nation UMASS hosted CCU. Coastal won 62-28 with almost near perfect passing from both QB's used. Over 300 yards passing and rushing too.