Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #101
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Holy crap. I admit I was wrong. Wiggins and picks to Golden State for D-Lo. Shocked the Warriors didn't wait until the offseason. Must be great pick value.

Russell is too good for a team that looks to be on track for a top five pick, especially if you think Stephen Curry will be back this year as well. I like taking a shot on Wiggins. I would trust my staff, leaders and culture to get him on track. Now is the time for KAT. No more excuses. He has the coach he wanted, Jimmy Butler is off the team and now he has his buddy on the team. Make or break time for him.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #102
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Looks like it's Crowder instead of the Rooster.

I’ll take it. Winslow has been hurt, Johnson has rode the bench and Dion has been Dion. Replace those three with Iguodala alone would be cool just to get those salaries off the books.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-06-2020, 04:26 PM   #103
Arles
Grey Dog Software

So when Russell + Towns taking up $60 mil in cap space equals a 30-win team in the West, what's the next step for the T-Wolves? They have no trade-able contracts, no 2021 1st and no cap space.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:38 PM   #104
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Russell is too good for a team that looks to be on track for a top five pick, especially if you think Stephen Curry will be back this year as well. I like taking a shot on Wiggins. I would trust my staff, leaders and culture to get him on track. Now is the time for KAT. No more excuses. He has the coach he wanted, Jimmy Butler is off the team and now he has his buddy on the team. Make or break time for him.

What exactly is on track for Wiggins though? He's never produced. He was the number 1 pick based on high school hype rather than college production. He's never scored efficiently and doesn't do much other than score.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #105
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Wiggins has been a better defender. Towns has been the major sieve this year. If you look at Wiggins with Towns, the defensive rating is 115.2. If you look at the same number of minutes of Wiggins without Towns, it drops to 107.4. The *hope* is he turns into Harrison Barnes-lite with a little better D and less shooting. Since he doesn't have the burden of the offense, he can focus on D and being a complimentary guy. Also having Klay and Draymond helping instead of Towns and Teague should help his numbers.

Still, this is a trade of two average to below average players with huge contracts. I think Wiggins has a chance to be a better fit in GS than Russell joining a team that already doesn't play D. In the end, the 2021 first may end up being a pick in the 5-10 range in a deep draft (and the most valuable aspect of this trade).

Last edited by Arles : 02-06-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #106
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
What exactly is on track for Wiggins though? He's never produced. He was the number 1 pick based on high school hype rather than college production. He's never scored efficiently and doesn't do much other than score.

Whatever the expectations are for the 4th maybe 5th best (behind the year's high draft pick) on the roster? I don't think they expect anything from him as the #1 pick in a draft. He is not Golden State's #1 pick of that draft. It is a gamble taking on that contract but I think it is a gamble that Golden State can take given their recent success and deep pockets. I have yet to hear anyone put limitations on his ability to play other than his mental makeup. It is a big if but if the Warriors can fix that makeup. they should get a better player than the one Minnesota had.

Adding Andre Drummond to the Cleveland locker room is also an interesting gamble.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #107
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:

Adding Andre Drummond to the Cleveland locker room is also an interesting gamble.

The Pistons are the worst run team in the league. They gave away an all-star talent for literally nothing. There is zero excuse for this other than "we are cheap and were afraid he would opt in". Who's coming to Detroit? Nobody is coming for the location or tax rates and nobody is coming to play with anyone on this piss poor roster. Cap space is totally pointless here unless you're going to back up the brinks truck for the next Charlie Villaneuva.

So what if Drummond opts in? You have all next year to trade him as an expiring and get some kind of decent player that might be on a long term deal a team wants rid of or maybe he opts out and there's a soft market for him and you can sign him to a long term deal at a discount. I mean the guy pulls down 16 boards a night - if you surrounded him with some talent he could be a legit 3rd piece.

I hate this team so much - you have Derrick Rose who's somehow defied all odds and put up a good season and you don't trade him when you could get something for him before he breaks down again but you do trade away the young guy who leads the league in rebounding for...cap space that nobody wants anyways.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:11 PM   #108
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
So when Russell + Towns taking up $60 mil in cap space equals a 30-win team in the West, what's the next step for the T-Wolves? They have no trade-able contracts, no 2021 1st and no cap space.

Pretty much the same place they'd be in with Wiggins and Towns taking up @60 mil.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:25 PM   #109
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Draymond Green is going to have some fun with the aloof Andrew Wiggins. Wiggins wont be able to handle the intensity the Warriors play with when they are healthy. This will end up hurting Golden State unless they trade him right away.

Timberwolves needed to trade Wiggins at all costs although it is starting to feel like KAT is running the organization.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #110
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
The Pistons are the worst run team in the league. They gave away an all-star talent for literally nothing. There is zero excuse for this other than "we are cheap and were afraid he would opt in". Who's coming to Detroit? Nobody is coming for the location or tax rates and nobody is coming to play with anyone on this piss poor roster. Cap space is totally pointless here unless you're going to back up the brinks truck for the next Charlie Villaneuva.

So what if Drummond opts in? You have all next year to trade him as an expiring and get some kind of decent player that might be on a long term deal a team wants rid of or maybe he opts out and there's a soft market for him and you can sign him to a long term deal at a discount. I mean the guy pulls down 16 boards a night - if you surrounded him with some talent he could be a legit 3rd piece.

I hate this team so much - you have Derrick Rose who's somehow defied all odds and put up a good season and you don't trade him when you could get something for him before he breaks down again but you do trade away the young guy who leads the league in rebounding for...cap space that nobody wants anyways.

Now for your next trick. You need to see if you can replicate the Detroit GM in one of your sims and enjoy the comments people make about the AI.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
The Pistons are the worst run team in the league. They gave away an all-star talent for literally nothing. There is zero excuse for this other than "we are cheap and were afraid he would opt in".

I thought the narrative was that the concern was opt OUT and lose him for nothing.

Which, granted, that's what they basically got back anyway.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-06-2020 at 07:29 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:35 PM   #112
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I find it funny that the Timberwolves apparently were offering their pick this year which is likely top 5. However the Warriors decided next years draft was better and wanted the deferred pick apparently feeling the Timberwolves will suck as usual and get a top 5 pick regardless.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #113
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Pretty much the same place they'd be in with Wiggins and Towns taking up @60 mil.
Except they don’t have their 2021 1st round pick (which could be in the top 10). I’m not really sure how much better Russell is than Covington and Wiggins. There’s a decent chance this team wins 30 games next year.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:37 PM   #114
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I find it funny that the Timberwolves apparently were offering their pick this year which is likely top 5. However the Warriors decided next years draft was better and wanted the deferred pick apparently feeling the Timberwolves will suck as usual and get a top 5 pick regardless.
That may be, but I think a part was also that they will already have a high lottery pick for their team this season. They probably don’t want to pay for two top 8 picks with the guys they have. It’s better for salary (and future trades) to have one in 2021. But, I do think they are gambling they won’t be much better next year with Russell (which I think is right).
Old 02-07-2020, 01:15 AM   #115
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMGA
I thought the narrative was that the concern was opt OUT and lose him for nothing.

Yeah this is the way I see it basically. I mean, if that's all you can get for Drummond then you roll the dice and take your chances on losing him in free agency IMO. The last time the Pistons made a move I thought was a good idea in player personnel (liked the Casey hire as coach) was … wait for it … nope can't think of any in the last few years.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #116
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Definitely a worthwhile gamble for the Timberwolves. What they had wasn't working and Wiggins was a large part of that problem. Russell should be a far better fit with Towns. And they added a couple 3 point shooters from Denver to help space things out on offense. Defense will continue to be an issue no doubt but the roster as it stands now should work together better than what they had.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:06 PM   #117
miami_fan
Coordinator

Marvin Williams has been bought out by the Hornets and is reportedly headed to the Bucks.

Who had Marvin Williams having a 15 year NBA career when he was drafted by the Hawks?
Old 02-07-2020, 10:15 PM   #118
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Who had Marvin Williams having a 15 year NBA career when he was drafted by the Hawks?

The people that wanted the Bucks to draft him instead of Andrew Bogut
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:26 PM   #119
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Damian Lillard is on fire lately, and it's fun to watch.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:26 PM   #120
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Now for your next trick. You need to see if you can replicate the Detroit GM in one of your sims and enjoy the comments people make about the AI.

The Pistons make 2K's AI logic look good.

Guess I have to work on adding GM's who use two phones at once (google it if you don't know) and then give away all-star players...I honestly don't know if I can write AI to be as bad as the Pistons
Old 02-07-2020, 10:31 PM   #121
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

No I have read they were afraid since there was no market for him that he would opt in and stick them with the 29 million next year.

That's the only plausible explanation for this (which is massively stupid but Gores doesn't appear to care about winning.)
Old 02-15-2020, 09:24 PM   #122
Atocep
Coordinator

This has been one of the best dunk contests in terms of overall quality.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:06 PM   #123
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

gotta be honest this 4th quarter is fun
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:12 PM   #124
Butter
Coordinator

I never watch the All Star game, but the 4th quarter is Must See TV
Old 02-16-2020, 10:12 PM   #125
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

These guys can play some great basketball when they try.

James Harden first time ever trying to play defense...

Last edited by jbergey22 : 02-16-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:25 PM   #126
miami_fan
Coordinator

This is fun.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:30 PM   #127
miami_fan
Coordinator

New rule. Gotta win by two or if he misses the free throw, the team goes back ten.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:39 PM   #128
Atocep
Coordinator

Sources -- Cavaliers and coach John Beilein have discussed possibility of him stepping down

Yeah, as I mentioned when he was hired, Beilein and the NBA is a god awful match.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:42 PM   #129
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Sources -- Cavaliers and coach John Beilein have discussed possibility of him stepping down

Yeah, as I mentioned when he was hired, Beilein and the NBA is a god awful match.

Would love to see him somewhere like Texas
Old 02-16-2020, 10:55 PM   #130
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Would love to see him somewhere like Texas

He's one of the best basketball coaches alive (at least from a teaching standpoint), but he's so awkward and generally an asshole that he needs the right spot.

I think he'd do well someplace like UW, but I don't see them moving on from Hopkins so quickly after last season.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:02 PM   #131
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
He's one of the best basketball coaches alive (at least from a teaching standpoint), but he's so awkward and generally an asshole that he needs the right spot.

I think he'd do well someplace like UW, but I don't see them moving on from Hopkins so quickly after last season.

Not a chance we move on from Hopkins. He will have a long leash. We were doing well this year until Greene went down. All went to hell after that. He needs to recruit more system guys and not the one and dones.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:22 PM   #132
RainMaker
General Manager

Just crazy he couldn't cut it for even a season in the big leagues.

The guy is 67 so is it a lock he goes back to the college game? There's no rush either because he's getting paid by the Cavs. If he does go back, I think he'd be patient and wait for the right opening.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:04 PM   #133
miami_fan
Coordinator

Stole this from Twitter.

If Beilein leaves, the Cavs would be hiring their sixth head coach in seven seasons.

In four of those seasons, they made the NBA finals.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #134
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

SI.com (whose links used to break the forum IIRC, so I'm not linking here) has a Beilein article with some speculative landing spots. I think it's a pretty decent list that make sense in some form or fashion, including in no particular order:

Itchy Big 10 schools? Indiana or Northwestern (though it downplays both)

Scandal tinged schools? Kansas, Auburn, Arizona, LSU (and it downplays the two SECs as seemingly poor fits)

Unhappy ACC schools: Wake, BC, GT

Vandy: a place with a pro guy that isn't working in college might be see the appeal in a college guy that hasn't enjoyed the pros

Texas: which the article calls the most likely and most appealing P6 job
Old 02-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #135
JPhillips
General Manager

Indiana seems like such a perfect match.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:50 PM   #136
miami_fan
Coordinator

So Beilein out, JB Bickerstaff in.

Serious question: Is it just a coincidence that Dan Gilbert has just recently returned to work as he recovers from a stroke and Beilein is out the door?

Not anywhere near as serious question: How many days does the virtual sim gamer spend loading up and evaluating this 2019-2020 Cleveland Cavs save at this point before finally advancing to the next day?
Old 02-19-2020, 09:30 PM   #137
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder what kind of odds they’d give on Bickerstaff finishing out next season?

Kinda feel like we’ll get Jason Kidd or Derek Fisher eventually.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #138
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I wonder what kind of odds they’d give on Bickerstaff finishing out next season?

Kinda feel like we’ll get Jason Kidd or Derek Fisher eventually.

That job is so toxic with Gilbert there.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:35 PM   #139
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mike Brown 3 can’t be discounted.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:33 PM   #140
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I'll admit it, I was wrong. I thought it would take another year at least for him to iron out his weaknesses (a tough time finishing through contact, too many long 2's or turnaround fadeaways, inconsistency on defense), but the Jayson Tatum side step 3 plus our big's (Theis in particular) leading the charge in back sealing recovering P&R help defenders has turned Tatum into a top 10 NBA initiator right now. The 3-pt % will probably not stay up at 47% like it has for this whole month, but being able to turn the corner off a P&R a step inside the 3-pt line, give the hesi, and legit be able to jump sideways into an unblockable 3 due to length, or turn downhill if there's a runway is a serious problem for opponents right now.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #141
Atocep
Coordinator

The Knicks vs Spike Lee over which entrance he uses at MSG has to be the most Knicks thing ever.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:47 PM   #142
molson
General Manager

I'd rather watch Spike and Dolan argue over entrances than watch a Knicks game.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:11 PM   #143
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Zion is pretty much must see TV
Old 03-03-2020, 09:16 PM   #144
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Caris LeVert is unstoppable
Old 03-07-2020, 12:52 PM   #145
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am wildly speculating in a very unfair way. With that acknowledgement, I am not sure I am firing my head coach to make Kyrie Irving happy,
Old 03-07-2020, 07:04 PM   #146
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am wildly speculating in a very unfair way. With that acknowledgement, I am not sure I am firing my head coach to make Kyrie Irving happy,

Nor is anyone is their right mind.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:59 PM   #147
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Not that I want to give Kyrie any benefit of the doubt, but since he's out for the year why would they fire Atkinson now instead of the off-season even if it was Kyrie's push? Yeah, it's a ridiculously top 6-heavy conference, but the Nets are technically the 7 seed right now...
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:39 AM   #148
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Not that I want to give Kyrie any benefit of the doubt, but since he's out for the year why would they fire Atkinson now instead of the off-season even if it was Kyrie's push? Yeah, it's a ridiculously top 6-heavy conference, but the Nets are technically the 7 seed right now...

The argument for my speculation would be that Kyrie being out does not mean he is not still being around trying to be a "leader" and making Atkinson's life a living hell.

There are now reports saying that Atkinson wanted to go as much as the Nets wanting him to go. I am not saying Atkinson should have been kept no matter what. I would probably go as far as saying if KD said to fire him, then the Nets should listen. I am just not giving Kyrie that power.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #149
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Draymond Green apparently has no self awareness. I believe pretty much everything Barkley said about him is true.

His per 36 minute numbers this year.
10.2 ppg
7.8 ast
7.8 reb
39 percent shooting percentage
1.7 steals
1.0 blocks
045 WS/48 (career .132)

While a key piece surrounded by stars, he is just an ordinary player without them.

Also, he is an idiot for bringing up rings to a top 50 all time great and one of the best power forwards in history.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:37 PM   #150
RendeR
Coordinator

Assuming people here already know this but: NBA to shut down as of Thursday due to coronavirus.

Shits geting deep.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote