Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #101
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

EDIT: POTENTIALLY NSFW (gore)
NPR: Death Reported Near Tehran Rally; State Dept. 'Deeply Troubled' By Events

Seems more solid than what was on Twitter.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 06-15-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #102
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

dola,

I wish people would stop RT every last tweet they find interesting. It just gums up the works and makes it impossible to tell the source of anything.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #103
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

Fair warning, there's one very graphic picture a bit down the page there, probably not suitable for the extremely squeamish.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #104
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Thanks, edited.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #105
JohnnyBGood
n00b

Uhhh, I'd say this pretty much "confirms" shootings. Warning... extremely graphic and disturbing content. NSFW.

Edit: Attachment removed. I couldn't figure out how to use the spoiler button. Apologies. Here is an html link if you so wish.

http://inapcache.boston.com/universa...1_19382207.jpg

Last edited by JohnnyBGood : 06-15-2009 at 03:02 PM.
JohnnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #106
stevew
Hall Of Famer

please edit that.
kthx.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #107
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood View Post
Uhhh, I'd say this pretty much "confirms" shootings.

I don't think there was much doubt about the shooting, but that picture sure seems a lot different than the alleged confirmation that the protesters had basically kicked ass & took names at the militia headquarters.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #108
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Reporteldy there are leaked interior ministry statistics that say Ahmadinejad came in third... by a lot

Iran protest cancelled as leaked election results show Mahmoud Amadinejad came third - Telegraph

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #109
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Reporteldy there are leaked interior ministry statistics that say Ahmadinejad came in third... by a lot

Iran protest cancelled as leaked election results show Mahmoud Amadinejad came third - Telegraph

Quote:
Mr Mousavi's cancellation of the protest came as sporadic disturbances continued around the Iranian capital, and reports circulated of leaked interior ministry statistics showing him as the clear victor in last Friday's polls.

The statistics, circulated on Iranian blogs and websites, claimed Mr Mousavi had won 19.1 million votes while Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had won only 5.7 million.

The two other candidates, reformist Mehdi Karoubi and hardliner Mohsen Rezai, won 13.4 million and 3.7 million respectively. The authenticity of the leaked figures could not be confirmed.

I think those leaked numbers are as bogus or worse than the ones the government gave out. I find it hard to believe almost any incumbent (unless arrested or other major scandal) would get less than 14% of the vote, much less one that had popularity as he did amongst certain voting blocs as well as one that had some questionable tools used to help him in the election (shutdown of the text messaging services for a few days through the election, word of voter intimidation).
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #110
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Apparently Obama will speak at 5. Interesting to see how he handles this.

If it were me, I'd say something along the lines of noting that the official complaint process had put the ball back in the Supreme Leader's court, and that the U.S. and indeed the rest of the world sincerely hopes that he will act positively on it and lead his country to a peaceful resolution.

Paints the U.S. as an objective observer (whether we are or not), implies that they've got a process and they should use their process, and puts responsibility on Khameni to run his country properly.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #111
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Old 06-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #112
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
and puts responsibility on Khameni to run his country properly.

While I don't really disagree with your analysis/recommendation otherwise, that last bit has as much chance of happening as hell has of freezing over in July. Unless there's some serious revolutionary element that somehow needs to hear us say something in order to remain viable (and if that's the case, I question how viable they actually are), I think I'd prefer we just keep our mouths relatively shut instead of implying something that no one in their right mind could actually take seriously.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-15-2009 at 03:23 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #113
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
While I don't really disagree with your analysis/recommendation otherwise, that last bit has as much chance of happening as hell has of freezing over in July.

We could have a 50 post discussion over the word properly, but suffice to say that pols and actual people usually have vastly conflicting agendas. See just about any country/society ever for an example.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #114
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
While I don't really disagree with your analysis/recommendation otherwise, that last bit has as much chance of happening as hell has of freezing over in July.

Well, quite.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #115
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
If it were me, I'd say something along the lines of noting that the official complaint process had put the ball back in the Supreme Leader's court, and that the U.S. and indeed the rest of the world sincerely hopes that he will act positively on it and lead his country to a peaceful resolution.

Paints the U.S. as an objective observer (whether we are or not), implies that they've got a process and they should use their process, and puts responsibility on Khameni to run his country properly.

Exactly how I think he should handle it as well. Their "supreme leader" is not a complete idiot, he has to realize at the very least some small reconciliation has to be made to keep the peace. The government can't just ignore millions and millions of angry people.

I doubt even Obama's detractors would expect him to go hard line against the Iranian government's internal politics without a plan. If he does make a harsh stance, the administration must have something up their sleeves.

Last edited by Tigercat : 06-15-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #116
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
The government can't just ignore millions and millions of angry people.

Tell it to the Chinese.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #117
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Tell it to the Chinese.

China also had a better and much more impressive army presence in it's cities though. I should have probably said Iran specifically can't.

Last edited by Tigercat : 06-15-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #118
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Their "supreme leader" is not a complete idiot, he has to realize at the very least some small reconciliation has to be made to keep the peace.

Plus, there's the very real possibility that Khatemi had nothing to do with the fraud that was perpetrated. As I said before, I really don't see the point of him perpetrating this fraud when he gets to pick the slate of candidates anyway. If he didn't want Mousavi, he could have kept him off the slate.

In which case you'd think Khatemi would want to come down hard on someone who felt arrogant enough to upend an electoral process that the ruling regime has gone out of their way to cast as "fair". Heck there's even a movie about it.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #119
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Plus, there's the very real possibility that Khatemi had nothing to do with the fraud that was perpetrated. As I said before, I really don't see the point of him perpetrating this fraud when he gets to pick the slate of candidates anyway. If he didn't want Mousavi, he could have kept him off the slate.

Depends on what you see as a possible motive. It is also to his benefit to have as many of those eligible to vote actually go out and do it. It looks good for their claims of "democracy" and their claim to legitimacy. So, in theory, they could put a candidate on there that they will not let win, but will inspire more people to participate. In that case, they are hoping to get the upside (more participation) without the downside (landslide for that candidate). An arrogant/naive/dumb idea, if they went that route, of course.

Last edited by Tekneek : 06-15-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #120
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The thing is, though, I don't see Khatemi as arrogant, naive or dumb.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #121
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Yes, but I would have said the same thing about Deng Xiaoping in 1989.

Point being, there's a lot under the hood here that we have no chance of seeing.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 06-15-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #122
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The thing is, though, I don't see Khatemi as arrogant, naive or dumb.

definately not.

not naive, not dumb. maybe a tad bit arrogant, but the internal politics are such a mess it'd be hard to believe they can really be all that arrogant.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #123
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

It would appear that they have miscalculated in some way, though, since they would prefer to not be dealing with street riots.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #124
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's a picture of the burning religious police base I mentioned in an earlier post.

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #125
Galaril
Pro Starter

Being married to a South Korean and having served in the US Air Force and later for the US Government in the Intel field I find there being some distinct similarities in the Pro-Democracy revolution that began in South Korea in the 1980s and what is going on in Iran right now. I do not see this turning out well for the older conservative incumbent and his supporters. I am not naive enough to believe this will turn this country around to a Pro-US viewpoint but it sure seems like a even slightly more moderate Iran will benefit everyone.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #126
JPhillips
General Manager

Old 06-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #127
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Plus, there's the very real possibility that Khatemi had nothing to do with the fraud that was perpetrated.

Here's a different opinion on that:

Quote:
Michelle Moghtader
Director of Community Outreach, National Iranian American Council

Quote:
Boston, Mass.: Could Ahmadinejad have "stolen" the election, if true, without the consent of the ruling religious leaders?

Michelle Moghtader: He definitely could not have done any of this by himself. But, the details are unknown because of the lack of international vote monitors.

Iran: Election Aftermath and World Reaction - washingtonpost.com
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #128
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Here's a picture of the burning religious police base I mentioned in an earlier post.

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

umm..

Quote:
Smoke billows from a burning car as supporters of defeated Iranian presidential candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi atack a local base of the Islamic Basij militia...

This says quite clearly that there is a car burning, not the base.

Last edited by lordscarlet : 06-15-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #129
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I saw that video of the religious policeman shooting into the crowd. Those are the kinds of images that can really whip the student opposition into a fury. The fact that the video got out for international consumption is amazing. It's hard for the international community to avoid that kind of evidence.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #130
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I think those leaked numbers are as bogus or worse than the ones the government gave out. I find it hard to believe almost any incumbent (unless arrested or other major scandal) would get less than 14% of the vote, much less one that had popularity as he did amongst certain voting blocs as well as one that had some questionable tools used to help him in the election (shutdown of the text messaging services for a few days through the election, word of voter intimidation).
You underestimate how much they dislike him. You have to remember that during the boom in oil prices a couple years ago, Iran still had a horrible economy (while every other Middle East country thrived). Their financial problems are bad and have been going on for a long time.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #131
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

It creeps me out how they're all on motorbikes for some reason. Gives it this feeling of lawless lawmen.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #132
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
It creeps me out how they're all on motorbikes for some reason. Gives it this feeling of lawless lawmen.

There's no feeling about it. It's exactly that.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:49 PM   #133
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post

As Nate Silver pointed out on 538, this doesn't disprove voter fraud, but it definitely doesn't prove it.

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #134
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Typical 140 pound momma boy pussies who are a bad ass when they get a weeks of training, a bunch of riot gear, a batton and a gun and oh yeah 2000 of there friends behind. I love how they run around smacking woman and girls as they side step the men.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #135
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Man, I'm in the US military and they have yet to give me a motorcycle.

I feel screwed.

INCREASE THE US MILITARY BUDGET NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #136
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I am not naive enough to believe this will turn this country around to a Pro-US viewpoint but it sure seems like a even slightly more moderate Iran will benefit everyone.
It may not turn the government policies around right away, but you'd be hard pressed to find more pro-American muslims than the Iranians. The Kurds and maybe the Lebanese. It's amazing what actually living under a religious government/police state does to change opinions of theocracies. And there are a ton of exiles, both in Europe and the US, that would love to go back.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #137
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
And there are a ton of exiles, both in Europe and the US, that would love to go back.

I can't help but note that there are a ton of Europeans & Americans that wish they would, so it seems like a win-win.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #138
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can't help but note that there are a ton of Europeans & Americans that wish they would, so it seems like a win-win.

not me. Persian girls are beautiful
Old 06-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #139
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
It's you Jon, so I'm sure you have enough reasons to hate anybody , but I'm not sure if you're confusing them with many other Muslim emigres. Iranian/Persian exiles/emigrants (at least the ones I've known) are generally educated and attempt to integrate themselves - and often fled the country over protest of the Mullahs takeover. They're not the ones like the Muslims in Rotterdam or the outskirts of Paris refusing to integrate and attempting to implement Sharia.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 06-15-2009 at 08:42 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #140
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They're not the ones like the Muslims in Rotterdam or the outskirts of Paris refusing to integrate and attempting to implement Sharia.

I didn't say they weren't more welcome than some other alternatives, I merely pointed out in a fairly lighthearted/quick flip manner something that ought to be pretty obvious.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #141
RainMaker
General Manager

That you don't like brown people?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #142
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
It may not turn the government policies around right away, but you'd be hard pressed to find more pro-American muslims than the Iranians. The Kurds and maybe the Lebanese. It's amazing what actually living under a religious government/police state does to change opinions of theocracies. And there are a ton of exiles, both in Europe and the US, that would love to go back.

I think there's a danger in not knowing much of anything about Mousavi. It seems clear that he'd be better than Ahmadinejad, but we don't know to what extent. So far he's been setting himself up as defending the revolution. Would we get any better relations with him than with Khatami, who had nearly all of his reforms blocked by the clerics?

There's been a lot of discussion about what happens if the West strongly supports Mousavi and he loses, but there's also danger if he wins. If he isn't a great reformer haven't we given him the upper hand by touting him as the bringer of freedom to Iran?

I hope the protesters succeed, but I also hope Mousavi is worth the fight.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #143
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Devil you know...

or rather devil you don't can't be much worse.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 06-15-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #144
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
not me. Persian girls are beautiful

Sarah Shahi..... yum.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:11 AM   #145
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Sarah Shahi..... yum.

There's a Persian woman named Sarah? What's that about?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:16 AM   #146
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hxxp://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-j-PIsk7N6oc/persian_girls_selection_of_beautiful_iranian_girls/

SFW but a few modeling shots with some skin so i hxxp'd it anyways

1:35 and 1:48...WOW
3:47
4:46

yeahhhh...definately

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-16-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:22 AM   #147
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
There's a Persian woman named Sarah? What's that about?

Aahoo Jahansouz is her real name-She was the really hot chick who Tony was banging in the last season of the Sopranos. I think the one he flew out to see that was Chris's friend.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:26 AM   #148
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Golshifteh Farahani from Body of Lies was definitely a highlight of that film.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:30 AM   #149
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

who's the girl in that video i posted at 1:35 and 1:48 - she is WOW. must be a supermodel of some sort?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #150
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Aahoo Jahansouz is her real name-She was the really hot chick who Tony was banging in the last season of the Sopranos. I think the one he flew out to see that was Chris's friend.

She is a great-great-granddaughter of the 19th century Iranian king Fath Ali Shah Qajar.

hxxp://gearpatrol.com/images/sarah_shahi2.jpg
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote