Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #51
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
He didn't get a ton of chances to show it at FSU but Williams has underrated playmaking & handles. Played PG at a pretty good HS. You never know how much is real but he was getting helium on draft boards & projected as high as 4 in some mocks. (Of course Terry was getting some helium & projected late lottery by some & he fell to 31.)

I hope that's more indicative of his skillset and potential. Can't say I watched much of FSU play last season and Williams didn't stand out if I did. Right now, it feels like I just watched the Bears brain trust finish their draft.

rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #52
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I watched a ton of FSU and Williams was great. Keep in mind, they played 10-11 deep and no one dominated. Just the way Ham wants it. Kind of a variation on how UK used to run out 2 5-man teams. FSU just kept bringing in sub after sub, used the entire bench.

Williams was 4th on the team in minutes for a team that had 11 guys average 9 minutes or more - only Trent Forrest averaged more than 30 (30.9). The usage was by design.

Now, I don't know what kind of NBA player he'll be and maybe #4 was a stretch, but this is a classic Ham quote:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-19-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:38 PM   #53
Ksyrup

Klay done for the year, achilles tear. Damn.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-19-2020, 02:24 PM   #54
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Still waiting to see what happens with Hayward & Boston. Would've loved a trade centered around Myles Turner, but it never made a ton of sense from the Pacers side unless they got multiple draft assets (or I guess liked a young player like Romeo Langford/Robert Williams).

I can get why he wants a longer term deal & why he didn't want to opt in just to be traded without any leverage, but it's always made more sense for Hayward to take the player option. I can't imagine he'd get more than $20m/y on a multi-year deal.

I heard he was getting traded to Cleveland as part of a pick swap if he opted in. Who knows how true that is. But he rightly wants no part of that.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #55
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I watched a ton of FSU and Williams was great. Keep in mind, they played 10-11 deep and no one dominated. Just the way Ham wants it. Kind of a variation on how UK used to run out 2 5-man teams. FSU just kept bringing in sub after sub, used the entire bench.

Williams was 4th on the team in minutes for a team that had 11 guys average 9 minutes or more - only Trent Forrest averaged more than 30 (30.9). The usage was by design.

Now, I don't know what kind of NBA player he'll be and maybe #4 was a stretch, but this is a classic Ham quote:

I am totally of the school that your best lineup finishes games, so I'll take that ray of sunshine and hold onto it that this isn't another Mitch Trubisky pick.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:02 PM   #56
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hayward opts out.

RE: Nesmith, the celts just watched Duncan Robinson eff up a few games vs them in the conference finals. Nothing like a guy that can put up like 9 points in less than 2 minutes. Not saying that Nesmith will be that good, but there's a strong possibility he will be.

Last edited by stevew : 11-19-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #57
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Craig?
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:10 PM   #58
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Craig?

Jr.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:49 PM   #59
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Warriors adding Oubre with their trade exception.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:16 AM   #60
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if the Rockets would take Wiseman, that Minnesota pick, Paschell, Wiggins and whatever other picks they can trade for Harden.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:19 AM   #61
Ksyrup

My daughter loves the Warriors and hates James Harden. If he ended up on the Warriors, her head would explode.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:41 AM   #62
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My daughter loves the Warriors and hates James Harden. If he ended up on the Warriors, her head would explode.

You and most Rockets fans I know

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #63
miami_fan
Coordinator

G. Dragic is back with the Heat. 2yrs $37.4 mil. My confidence is Giannis staying in Milwaukee just went up a little bit. The Heat has been trying to keep as much cap space open for the Giannis sweepstakes.so a two year deal slightly surprising.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-20-2020, 05:38 PM   #64
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How much is guaranteed on the second year though?
Old 11-21-2020, 02:03 PM   #65
wustin
College Prospect

i love nba offseason, it's so much more entertaining than any other sport's.

over/under 20 games detroit wins next season?
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:21 PM   #66
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How much is guaranteed on the second year though?

It is a team option for $19.4 million. It looks like all of the team's signings so far are either one year deals or two years with a club option in that second year.

The Hornets are going to waive Nick Batum and stretch his contract in order to sign Gordon Hayward. Is the Hayward contract going to be the new Nick Batum contract for the Hornets? Will Hayward be the new Nick Batum?
Old 11-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #67
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
i love nba offseason, it's so much more entertaining than any other sport's.

Oh yeah.

Also, the Rockets have gone from "crap, tear it all down" to "mildly intriguing". I just don't know what to think.

SI

Old 11-21-2020, 04:29 PM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I know this will come as a shock (imagine how surprised I am) but ... the Hawks actually did something I approve of.

The signing of Kris Dunn ain't half bad.

I don't even dislike the Rondo signing that's being reported today, IF he can be as productive as Jeremy Lin was in a similar role a couple years ago.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #69
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I know this will come as a shock (imagine how surprised I am) but ... the Hawks actually did something I approve of.

The signing of Kris Dunn ain't half bad.

I don't even dislike the Rondo signing that's being reported today, IF he can be as productive as Jeremy Lin was in a similar role a couple years ago.

They are just simple moves which is what make them worthy of approval. They brought in three adults to help teach the kids.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:03 PM   #70
Danny
Head Coach

Very much liking the Lakers chances to repeat based on free agency so far.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:33 PM   #71
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The Hornets are going to waive Nick Batum and stretch his contract in order to sign Gordon Hayward. Is the Hayward contract going to be the new Nick Batum contract for the Hornets? Will Hayward be the new Nick Batum?
The Hornets are basically paying $39m/y for Gordon Hayward for the next 3 years, that's awful. At the rate they overpay ex-Celtics I half expect Brad Wanamaker to get a 4/$60m offer from them.

Celtics signings don't move the needle, but Tristan Thompson and Jeff Teague are solid veterans, and if either gets bumped out of the rotation because some of the young kids pop, who cares?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:38 AM   #72
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am not a online league player but this looks like some shit that would break up a league. Here are the OKC's future draft picks without protections.

2021- Their own 1st and a 1st round pick swap with Miami and/or Houston
2022- Their own 2nd and 1st rounder from Phoenix and the Clippers
2023- Their own 1st and 2nd, a 1st round swap with the Clippers, and Miami's 1st
2024- Their own 1st and 2nd, 1st rounder from Houston, 1st rounder from the Clippers and a 2nd rounder from Minnesota
2025- Their own 1st and 2nd, 1st round swap with Houston or the Clippers
2026- Their own 1st and 2nd, 1st rounder from Houston and the Clippers.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:08 PM   #73
miami_fan
Coordinator

Bam Adebayo and the Heat agree to a 5 year max deal.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:02 PM   #74
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Btw I think most basketball fans here have stumbled across it, but if you're looking for an online league there's a great one with a bunch of FOFC'ers run by one CJBL: A web-based, FM-style multiplayer College Basketball League has openings - Page 6 - Front Office Football Central

No pro teams available, but plenty of college ones & it's the start of the off-season so a good time to jump in. No base game required, no uploading files, but something that feels a lot like FBCB/DDSB
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:01 PM   #75
Atocep
Coordinator

Westbrook for Wall and a 1st?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #76
miami_fan
Coordinator

Sources -- Houston Rockets agree to trade Russell Westbrook to Washington Wizards
Old 12-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #77
Ksyrup

Old 12-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #78
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I, uh, um. Geez - I was content to run it back with the 2019-2020 Rockets, the Silas offense, and new acquisition Wood. Sure, I'm expecting they'd get to the 2nd round, lose again, and go "yup" but there was always more possible. Now I'm just like "great, traded one untradeable contract for another untradeable contract". Only, I'm guessing Wall is so broken that he's functionally useless, whereas you might be able to fool some Eastern Conference team into thinking Westbrook is worth something to chase the #6 seed and take on his contract.

SI

Old 12-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #79
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Are we sure John Wall qualifies as functioning?
Old 12-02-2020, 09:02 PM   #80
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I, uh, um. Geez - I was content to run it back with the 2019-2020 Rockets, the Silas offense, and new acquisition Wood. Sure, I'm expecting they'd get to the 2nd round, lose again, and go "yup" but there was always more possible. Now I'm just like "great, traded one untradeable contract for another untradeable contract". Only, I'm guessing Wall is so broken that he's functionally useless, whereas you might be able to fool some Eastern Conference team into thinking Westbrook is worth something to chase the #6 seed and take on his contract.

SI

I don't see the upside for Houston in this trade. Is Wall a better fit with Harden than Westbrook? Last I remember about him, he not a consistent outside shooter and needs the ball in his hand to be effective. Plus, he hasn't been on a court in 2 years.

My guess is they're planning to move Harden at some point unless they luck out and Wall is better than expected.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:11 PM   #81
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yup - that's where I am, too. There are a bunch of Rockets fans who are just happy to see Westbrook gone and they don't care what it took to do it, thinking he's just a total net negative when on the floor. But I don't necessarily buy that and I don't think John Wall is anything but broken at this point.

SI

Old 12-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #82
korme
Go Reds

Man, I loved prime John Wall.

I think Houston is just happy to get a pick out of this.

In my opinion I like this trade for neither team. I think Westbrook is going to take shine away from Beal, which is a mistake.

Houston's fascination with pairing a ball dominant PG with the most ball dominant SG in league history continues for attempt #3.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #83
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Anthony Davis signs a max extension with the Lakers. Collective yawns.

Has there every been an MVP-level player with less . . . charisma/buzz/Q rating/whatever than Davis?

From what I hear, maybe Moses Malone? He was a bit before my time, so I don't know for sure.

At least Alcindor/Abdul-Jabar was kind of hated. People had thoughts about him and reacted to him.

Davis is just . . . great at basketball. And seems like a nice guy, I guess. He's vanilla pudding.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #84
miami_fan
Coordinator

It is weird with AD. You show be able to compare him with someone like Kawhi but that down not work either. At least Kawhi is known as the guy who does not want you to know anything about him. It seem intentional with Kawhi. I would like to see how things change if/when both players are in LA long term .
Old 12-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #85
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
From what I hear, maybe Moses Malone? He was a bit before my time, so I don't know for sure.

Hmm, since he was NOT before my time, lemme think about that.

Hrm ... {gears grind} ... {faint smell of smoke wafts on the breeze} ...

Maybe? A little? I think Malone came across more ... sullen? than Davis?

Tim Duncan maybe?
Old 12-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #86
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Hmm, since he was NOT before my time, lemme think about that.

Hrm ... {gears grind} ... {faint smell of smoke wafts on the breeze} ...

Maybe? A little? I think Malone came across more ... sullen? than Davis?

Tim Duncan maybe?

I thought of Duncan, but Duncan really leaned into being boring. That was his brand. So it kind of worked. He wanted to be boring. He tried to be boring. He was boring.

I don't get the sense that Davis wants to be boring. He just is.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #87
Ksyrup

Agree on Malone - sullen is a good word for it,

Duncan is a better comp, although he had that Federer-type professionalism ascribed to him which Davis has not yet. Not that he's a bad guy, but he's not actively described in such glowing terms.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-03-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:31 PM   #88
korme
Go Reds

If I'm in the Lakers front office, I'm loving the criticism that's being pushed here
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #89
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Right. Lebron has enough personality for the both of them (and then some).

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #90
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

And after LeBron retires, just sign a second-best player with a big personality. That person becomes the face of the franchise while AD keeps quietly putting up 27/12 every night and keeping the Lakers near the top.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #91
miami_fan
Coordinator

Looking at all the Larry Joe Bird highlights on Twitter in honor of his birthday is bringing way too much joy than it should. Larry Bird pre-back injury was sooo cold.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #92
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

They were telling some of the stories about him on a radio show I listen to about how he was the biggest trash talker in the history of the league,

They mentioned one story where he played a whole game left handed and put up a 47 point triple double. When asked why he played left handed he said he was saving his right hand for when they played the Lakers on Friday.

If he played today with the 3 point usage he would average 40 a game easily.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:40 PM   #93
JPhillips
General Manager

My favorite is when he entered the lockerroom for the three-point competition and said, which one of you assholes is finishing second?
Old 12-07-2020, 04:05 PM   #94
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
They were telling some of the stories about him on a radio show I listen to about how he was the biggest trash talker in the history of the league,

The Athletic had a article in which teammates and opponents talked about his legendary trash talk. My favorite did not even make the cut. While playing against the Pistons, Bird felt disrespected that Chuck Daly put a young Dennis Rodman to guard him. After busting him on four consecutive shots, Bird says to Daly:

“Who’s guarding me, Chuck? Is anyone guarding me? You better get someone on me or I’m gonna go for 60.”

Old 12-10-2020, 12:52 PM   #95
miami_fan
Coordinator

Playoff P gets the max.

Paul George extension adds $190 million to LA Clippers contract
Old 12-15-2020, 12:53 PM   #96
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Looks like The Greek Freak is staying put:
Giannis Antetokounmpo to sign five-year, $228.2 million supermax extension with Bucks - CBSSports.com

SI

Old 12-15-2020, 01:01 PM   #97
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #98
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Good for the Bucks and good for the league, too

SI

Old 12-15-2020, 02:10 PM   #99
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't want to be that guy but James Harden signed the same contract three years ago. I am happy Giannis is staying. Now all eyes should to Mike Budenholzer and the Bucks front office.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:16 PM   #100
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Good for the Bucks and good for the league, too

SI

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 12-15-2020 at 02:16 PM.