Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-12-2021, 02:36 PM   #101
Ironhead
College Prospect

I have been playing The Show on Xbox and while it's been fun all it is really doing is making me want to get back into OOTP. I think I just need to admit to myself that I really, really enjoy building overly complex spreadsheets in Excel.

Any additional thoughts on how OOTP 22 plays for the solo game? I tend to focus on GM only. While I have some older leagues from OOTP 18 I could import I would probably just want to start fresh again.

Last edited by Ironhead : 05-12-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #102
Swaggs
Coordinator

I have been having a good time with it.

I play as GM only (I may play out an elimination game every season or two) and am not someone that will do a ton of testing or anything to prove it, but it seems like the improvements to the coaching staff has enhanced things beyond previous versions. There is no a coaching cohesion rating for the team, so you have to sometimes balance how well a new addition will fit in versus how well they will help out with development. Coaches now have ratings for development, mechanics, and aging (names may be slightly different) that impact how well players reach potential, how well they may break out and improve what their potential is (ie: increase power capacity or add a pitch), and reduce loss of skills. And there are particular talents for C-INF-OF-Base Running that you can assign your coaches to.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:28 PM   #103
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Some of the guys in the OOTP 22 mods forum have done an excellent job replacing the generic OOTP stadium advertising with the real-life ads from all 30 MLB ballparks. Here is Minute Maid Park, home of the Houston Astros.

OOTP doesn't put a lot of resources into the graphics, but they have improved significantly for us folks who like to watch our games play out. For me, it makes for a more immersive and enjoyable experience.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:39 AM   #104
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Am I weird or does the addition of batting helmets make a huge difference?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:23 PM   #105
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Am I weird or does the addition of batting helmets make a huge difference?

Not weird at all I was surprised by the addition as I was reading the patch notes. Just another thing that adds to the immersion and reality. I would think this will be improved too over time IE getting logos, bill of helmet in second color, and one flap ear covers.

Good first step though and nice to have
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:10 AM   #106
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Anyone unable to connect to the online services? My internet working fine. Game updated through steam and now won't connect.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:13 AM   #107
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Anyone unable to connect to the online services? My internet working fine. Game updated through steam and now won't connect.

Same. It happened a week or so ago as well. They got it corrected pretty quickly IIRC.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:21 AM   #108
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Not weird at all I was surprised by the addition as I was reading the patch notes. Just another thing that adds to the immersion and reality. I would think this will be improved too over time IE getting logos, bill of helmet in second color, and one flap ear covers.

Good first step though and nice to have

I am currently using Action PC Baseball for my "good" statistical replay, but I also enjoy having the graphical presentation of OOTP as well. I especially use it for a fictional league, as these players only have the engine of OOTP to show their stuff, there are no comparisons to real life results. But I'll definitely enjoy having batting helmets and any extra graphical features added to the game.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:15 PM   #109
Swaggs
Coordinator

I have gotten about 25 years into a sim (I typically GM only but will occasionally play out an elimination game).

A couple of fun stories from my universe:

I took a 5th round flyer on a 6'10 pitcher that had really good personality characteristics and good, but not great hitting skills. He was awful at defense, slow, and poor with the strike zone, but figured it would be fun to follow a 6'10 hitter. He ended up developing really well and has turned into a perennial 4-5 WAR player and a gold glove defender. I had read that height is a factor at 1B, but his error/throwing/range were and still are all in the red, but he turned into a 65 grade defender and has won 4 or 5 gold gloves (he is about 30/31 now). I like to think being 6'10 allows him to reach just about any throw and cut at least some time off of standard throws with his reach. He didn't develop until he was 24 or so and I had an established 1B that was close in age and had been very good from 21ish or so, but I ended up dealing him due to service time and durability. He's also turned into a borderline HoF player (around 55 WAR through his age 31 season).

The other one is that I signed a British player during the international signing period that had great personality traits and was durable and he has turned into a really good RF. He is around 60/65 across the board and a 5-star player. Personality, especially work ethic, really seems to matter in developing these guys. He came up at 21 or so and got established and was going along with 4ish WAR years and then blew up at 25 and had an 8.4 WAR (.340s/40 HR/130 RBI), so I'm thinking I have an MVP on my hands. Then I notice St. Louis (I'm the Pirates) has a 2B with a 14.4 WAR and check him out. He finished the year hitting .437 (mid 30s HR and gold glove defense). This was totally out of the blue - it had been over five years since any expansion and the typical league leaders were between .320-.350, with an occasional outlier in the .360s or .370s (over about 25 years). Kind of blew my mind. I literally remember the only time I have ever seen a .400 hitter in any of the hundreds of (MLB) seasons that I have played OOTP, across versions, was an OF that just had a really high contact rating and hit .401 in barely enough ABs to qualify AND I benched him out of the last game. Hitting .437, just out of nowhere, seemed nuts. I'm loving the universe I have going, though.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:23 PM   #110
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I have gotten about 25 years into a sim (I typically GM only but will occasionally play out an elimination game).

A couple of fun stories from my universe:

I took a 5th round flyer on a 6'10 pitcher that had really good personality characteristics and good, but not great hitting skills. He was awful at defense, slow, and poor with the strike zone, but figured it would be fun to follow a 6'10 hitter. He ended up developing really well and has turned into a perennial 4-5 WAR player and a gold glove defender. I had read that height is a factor at 1B, but his error/throwing/range were and still are all in the red, but he turned into a 65 grade defender and has won 4 or 5 gold gloves (he is about 30/31 now). I like to think being 6'10 allows him to reach just about any throw and cut at least some time off of standard throws with his reach. He didn't develop until he was 24 or so and I had an established 1B that was close in age and had been very good from 21ish or so, but I ended up dealing him due to service time and durability. He's also turned into a borderline HoF player (around 55 WAR through his age 31 season).

The other one is that I signed a British player during the international signing period that had great personality traits and was durable and he has turned into a really good RF. He is around 60/65 across the board and a 5-star player. Personality, especially work ethic, really seems to matter in developing these guys. He came up at 21 or so and got established and was going along with 4ish WAR years and then blew up at 25 and had an 8.4 WAR (.340s/40 HR/130 RBI), so I'm thinking I have an MVP on my hands. Then I notice St. Louis (I'm the Pirates) has a 2B with a 14.4 WAR and check him out. He finished the year hitting .437 (mid 30s HR and gold glove defense). This was totally out of the blue - it had been over five years since any expansion and the typical league leaders were between .320-.350, with an occasional outlier in the .360s or .370s (over about 25 years). Kind of blew my mind. I literally remember the only time I have ever seen a .400 hitter in any of the hundreds of (MLB) seasons that I have played OOTP, across versions, was an OF that just had a really high contact rating and hit .401 in barely enough ABs to qualify AND I benched him out of the last game. Hitting .437, just out of nowhere, seemed nuts. I'm loving the universe I have going, though.

I've found that the combination of contact rating and avoid strikeouts is the best for a good batting average. I had a player lead the league with a .358 average one year that had 70+ on both stats, he had no power at all (5 HR for the season), but his OBP and BA were both great, he scored a TON of runs for me.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:29 AM   #111
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

We're finishing up my 56th season (I think 60th overall) in the online league I'm in. Had one player who was absolutely insane, Nathan Fry. I drafted him number one overall and he shattered all the pitching records. 342-139 record, 6,374 Ks in 4,702.1 innings, 2.71 ERA. Best season he was 26-1, 1.66 ERA, 416 Ks in 276.1 innings.

Player Report for #21 Nathan Fry
Old 05-28-2021, 08:38 AM   #112
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
We're finishing up my 56th season (I think 60th overall) in the online league I'm in. Had one player who was absolutely insane, Nathan Fry. I drafted him number one overall and he shattered all the pitching records. 342-139 record, 6,374 Ks in 4,702.1 innings, 2.71 ERA. Best season he was 26-1, 1.66 ERA, 416 Ks in 276.1 innings.

Player Report for #21 Nathan Fry

so DeGrom with run support
Old 05-28-2021, 10:18 AM   #113
Swaggs
Coordinator

Does anyone have any tips for developing SP? I have high player development budget and catchers with high catching ability and position ratings, but I am just not very good at finding these guys outside of free agency. I guess tips on what to look for in drafting and signing international players, too. I absolutely never acquire low work ethic players and rarely low intelligence or poor leadership. I’m a little more flexible with greed and loyalty.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:34 AM   #114
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Does anyone have any tips for developing SP?

If you're not already doing this, disable AI promotion/demotion on your pitching prospects you care about. Shortlist them, and keep an eye on their progress at least once a month. Manually promote them when they're ready to move up.
Also, I manually set the pitch counts for all of my pitching prospects, with a limit of 80 for the younger ones. For some reason, the AI minor league managers think it's a wonderful idea for 18 and 19 year old pitchers to be throwing 110 pitches per game. I finally noticed this after getting PM'ed several times that these poor guys were out 14 months with reconstructive elbow surgery, etc.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 05-28-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:51 AM   #115
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This is an encourage set of info, I haven't fired up the game in a while but this is going to make me spend some time with it today and see how far I get.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:14 PM   #116
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I was just reading yesterday this advice: Just like in real life "tinstaapp." There is no such thing as top pitching prospect. The randomness of developing pitchers, with its very high bust rate, suggests to not to put many resources on top pitching prospects. Instead, use them as trade bait for developed or nearly developed pitchers. Only draft college pitchers that are close to ready with mid-ranged pics, and maybe burn some late picks on high-school arms on the chance they develop.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:29 PM   #117
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Does anyone have any tips for developing SP? I have high player development budget and catchers with high catching ability and position ratings, but I am just not very good at finding these guys outside of free agency. I guess tips on what to look for in drafting and signing international players, too. I absolutely never acquire low work ethic players and rarely low intelligence or poor leadership. I’m a little more flexible with greed and loyalty.

You can poke around on the OOTP forums but I think we've found that work ethic is NOT tied to development -- just intelligence. The only other tip I have is to that an undeveloped changeup RARELY develops. For any guy I look at, I assume the changeup is staying right where it is. That's worked well for me.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:26 PM   #118
Swaggs
Coordinator

Some good info here. I definitely get flustered with the nuances of micromanaging my minor leaguers. I generally set players, in the strategy screen, to play certain positions when I draft them and then don’t touch them again unless they were really impressive to start with or until they look promising by AA. I tend to draft/sign SP with stuff over 55 and with control and movement, I like to see over 50 (I’ll take lower control if the stuff is high), plus three non-change up pitches. It seems like I get serviceable guys, but rarely anything approaching a 1 or 2 starter. Good defense at catcher, SS, and CF seems to make lesser starters have good seasons, at least.

As a follow up to my .400 hitter story from above, he fell back to Earth and has hit a more reasonable .360ish the past few years, but two years after he did it, an OF for the Angels hit in the .420s. I’m in the mid-2040s now and am enjoying all the new “history” that has been made.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:50 PM   #119
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Some good info here. I definitely get flustered with the nuances of micromanaging my minor leaguers. I generally set players, in the strategy screen, to play certain positions when I draft them and then don’t touch them again unless they were really impressive to start with or until they look promising by AA. I tend to draft/sign SP with stuff over 55 and with control and movement, I like to see over 50 (I’ll take lower control if the stuff is high), plus three non-change up pitches. It seems like I get serviceable guys, but rarely anything approaching a 1 or 2 starter. Good defense at catcher, SS, and CF seems to make lesser starters have good seasons, at least.

As a follow up to my .400 hitter story from above, he fell back to Earth and has hit a more reasonable .360ish the past few years, but two years after he did it, an OF for the Angels hit in the .420s. I’m in the mid-2040s now and am enjoying all the new “history” that has been made.

Also focus on guys with personality comments that mention intelligence. Once they hit 40ish OPF (20-80 scale) get them up for spring training as a non roster invite if they're not on your 40 man. It seems to slightly speed up development and give you a better scouting report.

Last edited by Atocep : 05-29-2021 at 10:50 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:54 PM   #120
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
You can poke around on the OOTP forums but I think we've found that work ethic is NOT tied to development -- just intelligence. The only other tip I have is to that an undeveloped changeup RARELY develops. For any guy I look at, I assume the changeup is staying right where it is. That's worked well for me.

Bobble covered the things I've seen.

Additionally, I just focus on starters that have at least 3 pitches. I don't look for 3 non-change up pitches. Guys with elite fastball and slider/curve/ect plus a decent change can be very good pitchers with a 3 pitch mix, but if that change is underdeveloped it's not going to ever be a legit 3rd pitch and you'll end up with a bullpen arm.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:58 PM   #121
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I tend to draft/sign SP with stuff over 55 and with control and movement, I like to see over 50 (I’ll take lower control if the stuff is high), plus three non-change up pitches. It seems like I get serviceable guys, but rarely anything approaching a 1 or 2 starter. Good defense at catcher, SS, and CF seems to make lesser starters have good seasons, at least.

That's funny, because I hate drafting low control pitchers. I find that a pitcher with poor control rarely becomes good.
Development seems to be pretty random, but 50 control seems to be the magic point. Anything less and they just put too many men on base to be effective.
Nothing worse than seeing your pitcher pick up on their stuff, but then lose control, and no longer be a viable pitcher.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:12 AM   #122
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
That's funny, because I hate drafting low control pitchers. I find that a pitcher with poor control rarely becomes good.
Development seems to be pretty random, but 50 control seems to be the magic point. Anything less and they just put too many men on base to be effective.
Nothing worse than seeing your pitcher pick up on their stuff, but then lose control, and no longer be a viable pitcher.

I have found that, with power pitchers (and power pitching coaches throughout the system) and especially so with relievers, they can get enough Ks to offset som walks. My typical, high leverage relievers are typically like 75/60/50 with 98+ velocity and power or groundball focus. It is fairly easy to draft these guys at the end of the 1st round to the 3rd and as throw ins on trades. My current closer was a late 1st rounder and is like 105/85/50 and averages almost 18 Ks per 9. He’s a stud, but you are right about the control in that, when it rains it pours with the walks. He’s been having 3 WAR seasons and had one 4.7 WAR season and is typically below a 2.00 ERA. He’s bombed a few times in the postseason vs good teams, though.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:21 PM   #123
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The game is all fucked up for me again. The background is black and when I hover over players name nothing comes up. If I open the profile there are no ratings, etc...
Old 05-30-2021, 10:06 PM   #124
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I have found that, with power pitchers (and power pitching coaches throughout the system) and especially so with relievers, they can get enough Ks to offset som walks. My typical, high leverage relievers are typically like 75/60/50 with 98+ velocity and power or groundball focus. It is fairly easy to draft these guys at the end of the 1st round to the 3rd and as throw ins on trades. My current closer was a late 1st rounder and is like 105/85/50 and averages almost 18 Ks per 9. He’s a stud, but you are right about the control in that, when it rains it pours with the walks. He’s been having 3 WAR seasons and had one 4.7 WAR season and is typically below a 2.00 ERA. He’s bombed a few times in the postseason vs good teams, though.

I'd love to have a pitcher like your closer! Wow. My closer is pretty good as well, he's 30 and in his 6th season in the majors, all as the closer of my team. He's 80/55/50 and he has career 2.00 ERA and has 14.4 K/9 this season.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:36 PM   #125
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I'd love to have a pitcher like your closer! Wow. My closer is pretty good as well, he's 30 and in his 6th season in the majors, all as the closer of my team. He's 80/55/50 and he has career 2.00 ERA and has 14.4 K/9 this season.

He has, by far, the best stuff I’ve ever had with a pitcher. When I saw him near the end of the first round, I couldn’t believe it (even if the control looked questionable). Plus, he’s a lefty to boot. I played a few seasons today and the bad news is that he is now fragile and the movement and control has been inching down. He’s in his age 29 season. I hate paying relievers $10M+, but I’m going to try to keep him a Pirate for life if I can.

Another random fun storyline from this universe is that I picked up a depth SP on a minor league deal just prior to spring training. He was like 34, something like 55/40/50, and a captain, so I figured he would be a good AAA piece and may get a few starts if/when I go beyond 7 or 8 starters. He signs and I look at his career stats and see that he has played for 16 different major league teams! His stats confused me at first because the summaries for his career teams (at the bottom of his pitching stats screen) was nearly as long as the yearly stats. I ended up trading him for a reliever another team was trying to dump salary on, but I’ll have to follow up on him and see how many teams he ends up suiting up for. I might try to sneak him in at some point down the road. It looks like Edwin Jackson holds the real record with 14 teams in

Last edited by Swaggs : 05-30-2021 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-31-2021, 12:59 AM   #126
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
He has, by far, the best stuff I’ve ever had with a pitcher. When I saw him near the end of the first round, I couldn’t believe it (even if the control looked questionable).

I think OOTP models this pretty well. If he's got off the charts stuff and at least average movement, he can afford to have subpar control and walk a few guys.

My pitching strategy differs from most folks. I usually have one or two starters with good stuff, and three or four with just average stuff. However, those guys have above average control, above average movement and at least three good pitches. My team defense usually leads the league in zone rating, efficiency and errors. The "average stuff" pitchers usually demand outrageous contracts when they reach free agency and typically end up with higher ERA's when they sign with other teams.

This is the latest prospect I'm getting ready to call up, and he's fairly typical of the type of starter I usually try to draft.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 05-31-2021 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:47 AM   #127
Swaggs
Coordinator

That’s been my general strategy with starters, too. It seems like it does really well during the regular season but less so I the postseason. One of the subtle improvements over the past few versions is that it is harder to find workhorses with high endurance. They are there, but even average SP with 65+ endurance seem much harder to find. That guy, with four pitchers and durable rating ought to be really good for awhile.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:33 AM   #128
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So the game is totally busted for me. Can't see any rating at all. When I open player card this is what I get. All I see is overall rating, everything else is grayed out. In addition when I hover the pointer over a player on the roster the window that pops up showing ratings doesn't come up. Makes the game unplayable. Been like this for 3 days. I wrote on the OOTP forum, no help, also wrote OOTP on Twitter. Looked through settings and couldn't find anything. Tried uninstall and reinstall, no dice. any suggestion?

download
Old 06-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #129
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
I wrote on the OOTP forum, no help, also wrote OOTP on Twitter.

It looks like this is a Perfect Team issue, so did you post in the Perfect Team Bugs Forum? I don't play Perfect Team, but I do notice from time to time people posting Perfect Team questions/bugs in the general OOTP22 forum, and they typically don't get answered or addressed there.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:02 AM   #130
RainMaker
General Manager

Does the catcher rating really help the pitchers? I've always been someone who likes hitting at the position and have sort of been overlooking defense.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:16 AM   #131
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Does the catcher rating really help the pitchers? I've always been someone who likes hitting at the position and have sort of been overlooking defense.

I don't have a link but I saw somebody on Reddit study this in OOTP21 and Catcher Ability made a pretty significant difference. I usually try to find a high contact/low strikeout catcher with almost maxed out catcher ability.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:27 AM   #132
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
It looks like this is a Perfect Team issue, so did you post in the Perfect Team Bugs Forum? I don't play Perfect Team, but I do notice from time to time people posting Perfect Team questions/bugs in the general OOTP22 forum, and they typically don't get answered or addressed there.

I don't think it is a perfect team issue. It happens when I play the regular game also. I was finally able to get someone from OOTP to help and we are working through it. May be an issue with the skins. I deleted that folder and am reinstalling.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #133
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I think the general consensus is that it is disproportionally important in OOTP. I read a 'study' a guy did last fall and he said the bare minimum for fielding (position) ability that you want up the middle is 65 and that catchers ability to prevent runs, through framing and defense, makes it worthwhile to sacrifice offense there.

I usually try to get at least 70 defensive ability and 50 contact, but have had regulars with 35 contact. I generally hate to go below a 50 contact on players (I probably value contact more than I should and prioritize it to the point that I typically never start or draft someone that had less than a 50 there, aside from catchers and occasionally SS). I think it may be the most important factor in making your team go from a playoff contender to a favorite. I started paying more attention last version and went from being a single player GM that would occasionally put together a run and win the World Series 1-2 times every ten years or so, to having a shot almost every year (unless I am deliberately doing a rebuild for financial reasons). If you are someone that sim and runs through seasons relatively quickly, you will certainly notice a difference.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:52 AM   #134
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't think it is a perfect team issue. It happens when I play the regular game also. I was finally able to get someone from OOTP to help and we are working through it. May be an issue with the skins. I deleted that folder and am reinstalling.

Maybe you could try adding some custom skins? I wish I knew how to give you some help on this. I'm sure it is frustrating.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #135
Swaggs
Coordinator

Let me triple dola, because I am curious...

How do you all typically play? Do you manage, GM, or both? Do you manage games directly or sim seasons.

For me, I eliminate the Rule V because I think it is a drag, I increase the development modifier for pitchers/hitters to 1.15 and decrease aging to 0.75 (I like good players to come up in their early 20s and occasionally reach their 40s and this seems to help), max out the international players available to sign during the international period, and run a 25 round rookie draft. I GM only in the Challenge Mode and sim about a week at a time, adjusting the roster for injuries and poor performance, and will very occasionally play out an elimination game (like if it is game 162 and an elimination game or game 7 of a series). It usually takes me 90ish minutes to sim a full year for me (unfortunately, I am now about 25 years into my career and the crashes have started back up).
Old 06-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #136
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
How do you all typically play? Do you manage, GM, or both? Do you manage games directly or sim seasons.

I play GM only, with the full real-world universe, but with fictional players. I rarely intervene with the manager's decisions. The only exceptions are sometimes I'll force start a guy at a position, and occasionally I'll intervene late in a game in a pinch hitting decision or relief pitcher decision.

As for the default settings, I impose service time limits for minor leagues (except AA and AAA). It keeps players moving up, and prevents the AI teams from stocking the rookie leagues with a bunch of ringers who demoralize my young prospects. I also run autocalc every season just before opening day, using the 2018 season modifiers. Without autocalc, you'll eventually see the hitting stats get out of whack over a long period of time, with multiple guys hitting 800+ career home runs. With autocalc, my season leader in HR's is usually in the 50's, and every once in a while a guy will hit more than 60 in a season, but nothing outrageous. League ERA is usually around 4.00, and league batting average is usually around .245 to .250. In my current long-time sim, coming up on 80 years, the all-time career leader in HR's had 773, and the #2 guy had 720, so far the only two with over 700. To me, this is much more immersive than the multiple 800+ HR guys you'll end up with if you just play with the default settings over time.

For the AI settings, I set trading difficulty at "hard" and trading preference to "favor prospects". The AI does a better job in OOTP22, so I don't use "very hard" and "heavily favor prospects" anymore, as it basically puts a stranglehold on making reasonable trades. For Player Evaluation AI Settings, I use 25-25-25-25. This is the best ratio I've found to help the AI's evaluation of players.

I don't do much simming, I usually play out at least three or four innings in each game and sim the rest.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 06-01-2021 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:06 PM   #137
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Used to play as manager and GM, and play out games pretty regular. Now I almost exclusively GM, and sim through a month at a time.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-01-2021 at 05:54 PM.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:47 AM   #138
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
So the game is totally busted for me. Can't see any rating at all. When I open player card this is what I get. All I see is overall rating, everything else is grayed out. In addition when I hover the pointer over a player on the roster the window that pops up showing ratings doesn't come up. Makes the game unplayable. Been like this for 3 days. I wrote on the OOTP forum, no help, also wrote OOTP on Twitter. Looked through settings and couldn't find anything. Tried uninstall and reinstall, no dice. any suggestion?

Here's the link to tech support - Out of the Park Baseball Support - Out of the Park Developments

Try opening a ticket?
Old 06-02-2021, 09:48 AM   #139
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Got it taken care of, thanks!
Old 06-15-2021, 08:30 PM   #140
21C
College Prospect

OOTP Go has been released for iOS and Android devices. I haven't given it a full run yet but it has been useful to check in on my Perfect Team games on my phone.

It is a free game but you pay for historical seasons - you get the 1977, 1996 and/or 1921 seasons free (sorry, I originally read 1921 as 2021 and posted it wrong).

Last edited by 21C : 06-15-2021 at 09:18 PM.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:10 AM   #141
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have no idea where this team will go, but I just started a perfect draft with my first 4 picks Josh Gibson, Giancarlo Stanton, Jim Thome, and devers....

Peter Alonso in rd 5

Last edited by Lathum : 06-19-2021 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #142
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So I have 3 players on my perfect team with a 13 next to their name. If I try and move them to the roster it says player can not be activated for 13 days. Anyone know what that is all about?
Old 06-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #143
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
So I have 3 players on my perfect team with a 13 next to their name. If I try and move them to the roster it says player can not be activated for 13 days. Anyone know what that is all about?

You must have sent them to the reserve roster the prior game day. Once you send a guy to reserve he has to stay down for 14 game days.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:23 PM   #144
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
You must have sent them to the reserve roster the prior game day. Once you send a guy to reserve he has to stay down for 14 game days.

Which is 7 real life hours if that isn't obvious.

Also, be careful messing with your roster when a sim is immanent. There's an auto-submit as well as your download and things can get out of sync.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:20 AM   #145
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I hate it when the AI craps out.

I have a perfect draft team with a great bullpen. Kirby Yates- 99, Edwin Diaz-89, Craig Kimbrel-83, and Nate Jones-79. All rested.

I am up 8-0 going into the bottom of the 9th. The sim lets my starter give up 6 runs without getting an out before replacing him. Yates then comes in and gives up 3 runs and I lose 9-8.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:10 AM   #146
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I hate it when the AI craps out.

I have a perfect draft team with a great bullpen. Kirby Yates- 99, Edwin Diaz-89, Craig Kimbrel-83, and Nate Jones-79. All rested.

I am up 8-0 going into the bottom of the 9th. The sim lets my starter give up 6 runs without getting an out before replacing him. Yates then comes in and gives up 3 runs and I lose 9-8.

What were your settings? In the 20s that was common. Do you change your settings to sabermetric? Default is balanced.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:02 PM   #147
Atocep
Coordinator

As my interest in the base game has died down a bit lately I've been messing around with Perfect Draft and it's a hell of a lot of fun in a "doesn't require much of my attention sort of way".

Couple of thoughts on that:

Am I the only one that occasionally forgets to draft a backup catcher or just doesn't have one come up in the last round or 2 so you get stuck with an iron man catcher?

Also, Oscar Charleston feels like cheating. There are a handful of Tier 1 guys for your first pick, but I don't think anyone matches landing Charleston.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:50 PM   #148
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Am I the only one that occasionally forgets to draft a backup catcher or just doesn't have one come up in the last round or 2 so you get stuck with an iron man catcher?

The game dishes out a set number of cards at each position. For catchers, I think it's 10. So you can keep a count of how many show and know whether there's going to be one left.

Also, I've seen a couple of winning teams in longer tournaments go with 3 catchers especially if one is able to play more than one position to minimize fatigue.

Lastly, seems like the best players are putting a lot of value on a catcher's Catcher Ability as it helps out pitchers. FWIW.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:55 PM   #149
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
The game dishes out a set number of cards at each position. For catchers, I think it's 10. So you can keep a count of how many show and know whether there's going to be one left.

Also, I've seen a couple of winning teams in longer tournaments go with 3 catchers especially if one is able to play more than one position to minimize fatigue.

Lastly, seems like the best players are putting a lot of value on a catcher's Catcher Ability as it helps out pitchers. FWIW.

Good to know on the number of players generated. I've run into a couple of other guys in the 2nd round of tournaments with one catcher as well and I feel their pain. It's basically a free win.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #150
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I always grab a back up catcher pretty early so I don't get screwed. They were running a bunch of quick tournaments for cards about a week ago, really enjoyed that. My only beef with the perfect drafts is you can only do one, so if you to enter one for a good card you basically tie yourself up for an extended period of time.