Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-22-2023, 03:20 PM   #401
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jordan Poole is the most Wizards wizard to wizard ever. Surprised they haven’t tried to add 5 years and 400 million to his existing deal.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 03:26 PM   #402
miami_fan
Coordinator

From the golf thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Is the coast clear for the NBA to go all in on the Chinese money now? Or maybe even the Middle Eastern money? ICYMI

NBA Courts Investment by Sovereign Wealth, Pension Funds

Qatari Investment Authority close to buying stake in Wizards, Capitals, Mystics: Sources - The Athletic

The coast is clear.

Quote:
The NBA, NHL and WNBA are on the precipice of being the first North American professional sports leagues to receive an investment from a sovereign wealth fund. The Qatari Investment Authority, the country’s sovereign wealth fund, is close to buying a stake in Monumental Sports and Entertainment, the parent company of the Washington Wizards, Washington Capitals, and Washington Mystics, sources briefed on the deal told The Athletic.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:24 PM   #403
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I think Gradey Dick is tanking his draft stock with the suit he picked to wear
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:33 PM   #404
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is this supposed to be some wizard of oz thing?

Ok nvmd that makes sense I guess
Old 06-23-2023, 12:05 PM   #405
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I think Gradey Dick is tanking his draft stock with the suit he picked to wear

Apologies for all of my cultural and geographic ignorance and biases but I would love to know how this young man decided that this was what he was wearing to the draft.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-23-2023, 02:07 PM   #406
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wizard of Oz Kansas
Old 06-23-2023, 11:16 PM   #407
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The official haul for Marcus Smart. I use Haul because, well, when you work through all the trades they made during the draft..

• Kristaps Porzingis
• Jordan Walsh
• 2024 R1 pick (GSW, top-4 protected)
• 2024 R2 pick (DAL)
• 2025 R2 pick (best of DET, GSW or WAS)
• 2026 R2 pick (best of MIN, NOP, NYK or POR)
• 2027 R2 pick (ATL)

That's a haul.
Old 07-02-2023, 09:25 AM   #408
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Desmond Bane is a good player but I just don’t see rushing out and committing a 5 year max extension to him. Let him get an offer next summer and match it.
Old 07-07-2023, 05:57 AM   #409
whomario
Pro Starter

Wembanyama barely being in the US and pretty much first thing that happens is him starting an all out war with Britney Spears Stans propably wasn't on anyones list of things likely to happen this week.
(She recognized him, walked up and tapped him on the shoulder, security hit her trying to push her back. Spears made a viral post about it, he then gave an Interview about the encounter "with that person" and you can guess how that went down ...)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-07-2023 at 06:06 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 07:56 AM   #410
miami_fan
Coordinator

I rather Wemby have to deal with this sort of stuff right now, during summer league. It is even better that he already has a support system that has practice for stuff like this with him on some level. I think he and that support system will be better off in the long term. Maybe if Zion had one of these early on, he wouldn’t be where he is at right now.
Old 07-07-2023, 10:01 AM   #411
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The security guy that decked Britney has gotta be a legend among security guy circles.
Old 07-07-2023, 01:19 PM   #412
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is a microcosm of Spears' life since like 2000 or so.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-07-2023 at 01:25 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 12:30 PM   #413
Ksyrup

Mid-season form!

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-09-2023, 01:06 PM   #414
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

So it turns out the answer to 'when does Pop retire' is roughly speaking never/when his body forces him to. New 5-year extension, which would take him to nearly 80.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-09-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 08:12 PM   #415
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
So it turns out the answer to 'when does Pop retire' is roughly speaking never/when his body forces him to. New 5-year extension, which would take him to nearly 80.

Over/under on when the "game has passed him by" come out in full force? Midway through the 24-25 season?
Old 07-17-2023, 10:46 PM   #416
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thoughts on this mid season tournament? I don’t hate the idea. It’s a neat idea. Maybe the winner of the in-season tournament should get a first round playoff bye? Add a few extra play-in games perhaps.
Old 07-17-2023, 11:19 PM   #417
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Thoughts on this mid season tournament? I don’t hate the idea. It’s a neat idea. Maybe the winner of the in-season tournament should get a first round playoff bye? Add a few extra play-in games perhaps.

A complete eyeroll concept afaic.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:15 AM   #418
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I think I am in the same place as you are. I just don't know what the "why" piece is for the teams and/or the players. As a club football fan, I like the idea of multiple competitions and multiple ways a season can be deemed successful depending on the team and where they may be in terms of team building etc. Especially for the good teams who have no chance of winning the NBA championship. For example, Sacramento's season last year plus a in season cup and the reward comes for winning it has a different feel than the #3 seed and a first round exit to the Warriors. Winning the in season cup may not be the goal of the current Boston Celtics team for example. I would not go as far as as a playoff bye but maybe an extra home playoff game in the first round? I also think there has to be some organizational reward as well. Something like being included in the lottery if the teams are not already in it or increased lottery odds if they are. Or maybe the cup winner is guaranteed a pick in the top ten of the draft.
Old 07-21-2023, 08:41 AM   #419
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

From what I've read, they've patterned it specifically on the FA Cup, but they seem to have forgotten that the FA Cup starts in August with small teams waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the English football pyramid, and as a result almost every match as it progresses is strongly memorable to someone.

Like, there will be a League Two team that makes it to the 3rd round only to get annhiliated by Manchester City, but years later the fans will still talk about the time that their local team got to play at the Etihad and laugh about how their 33-year-old slow centre back got roasted by Haaland, who scored 5 before being substituted at half time.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 12:56 PM   #420
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
From what I've read, they've patterned it specifically on the FA Cup, but they seem to have forgotten that the FA Cup starts in August with small teams waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the English football pyramid, and as a result almost every match as it progresses is strongly memorable to someone.

Like, there will be a League Two team that makes it to the 3rd round only to get annhiliated by Manchester City, but years later the fans will still talk about the time that their local team got to play at the Etihad and laugh about how their 33-year-old slow centre back got roasted by Haaland, who scored 5 before being substituted at half time.

they know but they don't care because this cash grab will happen anyway. I do hope that it eventually turns into "let's run with our youth" and then it would be kind of fun if it were more of an U-23 tournament and teams could sign more players for that and it'd be fun if someone went on a Linsanity-ass run to win a NBA Cup, that would be lore for a team. But nobody cares about the players getting more money.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-21-2023 at 12:56 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 04:30 PM   #421
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

I disagree with the FA Cup comparison at least for the current model. The current model is more like the revised Champions League that took place after the lockdown.

1. Six groups of five teams. 4 group stage games per teams.Two home, two away. Six group winners and two "wild cards" go to the knockout stage.

2. Knockout stage games are single elimination with the semis and finals being played in Las Vegas. This is similar to when the Champions League moved everything after the round of 16 to Portugal.

Now I think that the ultimate goal is to create a competition where international and maybe even G-League teams will also participate. That will probably have to wait for the Middle Eastern or Chinese money to truly start flowing into the U.S. game though.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:04 PM   #422
Ksyrup

I have no idea what the purpose of an in-season tournament that just involves the teams in your league is. But then again, I ignore pretty much all soccer tournaments like this, and I actually follow the EPL. I just don't care (other than in the EPL, I recognize it helps for a team to do well for financial reasons, but aside from that...?).

But here... what's the point? No one in this country cares if your team won the tournament but got knocked out of the actual post-season in a play-in game, for instance. In fact, I could see this spawning a ton of negative (but funny) social media memes, along the lines of Butch Jones' "Champions of Life" crap. They almost have to attach some sort of post-season or financial component to it (for the organization, not just the players) for it really mean anything.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-21-2023 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2023, 08:47 PM   #423
miami_fan
Coordinator

Did anyone besides the hardest of hardcore basketball fans care about four individual games between games 9 and 21 on a team's schedule? How about six maybe seven games before a team has play 25 games on their schedule? Because that is the tournament. Regular season games that they were playing anyway.

The NBA should be reducing the number of regular season games. We all know that. We also know that the owners have no desire to do that. The Heat have the Bucks, Knicks, Wizards and Hornets in their group. I still may not watch that Wizard game but I am much more likely to watch that Wizards game because of the tournament than I would without it.
Old 07-22-2023, 03:37 PM   #424
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I have no idea what the purpose of an in-season tournament that just involves the teams in your league is. But then again, I ignore pretty much all soccer tournaments like this, and I actually follow the EPL. I just don't care (other than in the EPL, I recognize it helps for a team to do well for financial reasons, but aside from that...?).

Because, critically, the FA Cup doesn't include just the EPL but in fact all clubs down to level 9 of the English football pyramid. Which means over half of the clubs that compete are semi-pro or amateur.

If you're a fan of a non-EPL team, it can be really cool if your team makes a run and kills a giant or two from a few tiers higher than you.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:51 PM   #425
Danny
Head Coach

I think ive now come to the belief that Harden is more of a cancer than Kyrie.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 04:26 AM   #426
whomario
Pro Starter

Another sign of the Apocalypse, surely. Going undefeated 8-0 as well with maybe like 3-4 weak quarters throughout. Lots of guys had game of their life type performances but it's also been a real steady improvement for a lot of the role players over the last few years.
Fair share of drama involved, too though. Kleber quitting the team after being scolded by Schröder, Schröder getting into it with the coach, as well as Theis, during a timeout (which were all broadcast live with every word audible) only to react to it by turning a 15 point deficit into a 100-71 trouncing of Slovenia.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 09-16-2023, 12:08 PM   #427
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Signing the fumes of Tristan Thompson and getting a DUI is a helluva week for Koby Altman.
Old 09-27-2023, 01:45 PM   #428
miami_fan
Coordinator

Sources - Blazers trading Damian Lillard to Bucks in 3-team deal - ESPN

Bucks get Dame

Suns get Nurkic, Grayson Allen, Nassir Little and Keon Johnson

Blazers get Jrue Holiday, Deandre Ayton, Toumani Camara, the Bucks' 2029 1st round pick and swap picks with the Bucks in 2028 and 2030
Old 09-27-2023, 05:13 PM   #429
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Sources - Blazers trading Damian Lillard to Bucks in 3-team deal - ESPN

Bucks get Dame

Suns get Nurkic, Grayson Allen, Nassir Little and Keon Johnson

Blazers get Jrue Holiday, Deandre Ayton, Toumani Camara, the Bucks' 2029 1st round pick and swap picks with the Bucks in 2028 and 2030

This seems like one of those deals fans propose and don't really consider who the third team (Suns) gets. I guess they were real desperate to get out of the Ayton contract that they gave him before last season.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 05:14 PM   #430
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Reports say Blazers will look to immediately flip Holiday elsewhere, no interest in keeping him
Old 09-27-2023, 05:20 PM   #431
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Holiday to the Celts for Brogdon and some picks
Old 09-27-2023, 09:28 PM   #432
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
This seems like one of those deals fans propose and don't really consider who the third team (Suns) gets. I guess they were real desperate to get out of the Ayton contract that they gave him before last season.

Desperate enough to take on the Nurkic contract. Do the Suns plan on playing any defense?

Full credit to Giannis for putting just enough stuff in the media to nudge the Bucks to bring Dame in. As much as I would have liked him to go to the Heat, I like the stuff they got back provided they get a decent haul for Holliday.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:01 AM   #433
whomario
Pro Starter

Wembenyama is just ludicrous to watch. Guy was out there eurostepping for a dunk from 20 feet out ...

Look, i fully guard myself against disapointment by expecting him to at best be Porzingis 2.0 including the injuries but until then ...

Last edited by whomario : 10-15-2023 at 04:02 AM.
Old 10-17-2023, 06:29 PM   #434
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Kinda hard to not wonder if any of the charges against Kevin Porter, Jr will end up sticking.
Old 10-21-2023, 08:28 AM   #435
whomario
Pro Starter

Old 10-21-2023, 10:45 AM   #436
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

He's the Erling Haaland of basketball.
Old 10-21-2023, 02:21 PM   #437
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

His movement is so impressive for his size both on offense and defense.
Old 10-21-2023, 02:27 PM   #438
Atocep
Coordinator

I know we've never seen a player like him, but I also don't think there's been a guy with his defensive ceiling that's entered the NBA in our lifetimes. His ability to stay in front of guys on the perimeter is incredibly impressive. He doesn't just rely on his length and let guys go by to block their shot from behind.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 01:44 PM   #439
Atocep
Coordinator

Jaden McDaniels getting 5 years and $136 mil is absolutely nuts.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 09:00 PM   #440
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

23 year old who is already an elite wing defender and shot around 40% from three in his first year as a true starter for the T-Wolves. If his offense continues to improve, this will be a bargain.
Old 10-23-2023, 09:39 PM   #441
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Never heard of him. Looks like a career 9 points game 4 rebounds game guy. Still young but way over paying.

Last edited by Galaril : 10-23-2023 at 09:43 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 11:08 PM   #442
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Wolves strike again.
Old 10-24-2023, 03:46 AM   #443
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Are we saying it's nuts because salaries in general are nuts, or because this specifically is nuts relative to the market?
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 06:57 AM   #444
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Are we saying it's nuts because salaries in general are nuts, or because this specifically is nuts relative to the market?

Paying this guy 27.2 million a year is nuts. I guess he is considered a high ceiling guy but man that is a lot for future output.

Last edited by Galaril : 10-24-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 09:12 AM   #445
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm more of a casual NBA fan these days with Rik Smits long gone from the league, but how about the Pacers putting up 143 points in their first game? Been a long time since I could feel excited about their prospects for a season.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:21 AM   #446
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You do know that we have a pro/college basketball thread for the new season right? (laughs).. if people keep using this one, we might as well merge the two.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:22 AM   #447
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
You do know that we have a pro/college basketball thread for the new season right? (laughs).. if people keep using this one, we might as well merge the two.

Like I said, I'm a casual fan, I just saw the first NBA thread and went with it
Old 10-26-2023, 10:55 AM   #448
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I'm more of a casual NBA fan these days with Rik Smits long gone from the league, but how about the Pacers putting up 143 points in their first game? Been a long time since I could feel excited about their prospects for a season.

I haven't thought about Rik Smits for a long time but he was awesome and I enjoy that you were all "No Smits, no Thomkal."

Last edited by molson : 10-26-2023 at 10:55 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 12:21 PM   #449
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I haven't thought about Rik Smits for a long time but he was awesome and I enjoy that you were all "No Smits, no Thomkal."

Yes I'm very fickle that way
Old 10-26-2023, 12:43 PM   #450
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think it was the most points since 1990. Im assuming, given the timeline of that, that Paul Westhead and the Nuggets were involved