Old 05-26-2018, 01:49 AM   #302
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Alex Reyes in his 4 rehab starts:

23 IPs, 0.00 ERA, 0.61 WHIP, 8 BBs, 44 Ks, 2-0

Scheduled to start Tuesday against Milwaukee

This is why I kept him in a DL spot on my fantasy team for two months.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:05 AM   #303
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Alex Reyes in his 4 rehab starts:

23 IPs, 0.00 ERA, 0.61 WHIP, 8 BBs, 44 Ks, 2-0

Scheduled to start Tuesday against Milwaukee

Too bad we won't be able to score any runs for him.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:19 PM   #304
bhlloy
Coordinator

Trout is ridiculous. It's kinda stupid that I keep coming here to post stuff like this, but really. I just hope the Angels can put enough of a winning team around him to convince him to stay.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:37 PM   #305
tarcone
Coordinator

I get player safety, but Bader for St Louis bumped the Pitt plslid through the base and bumped the Pitt player. The called it a DP.

I didnt think it was interference. It looked like a good baseball play.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #306
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I get player safety, but Bader for St Louis bumped the Pitt plslid through the base and bumped the Pitt player. The called it a DP.

I didnt think it was interference. It looked like a good baseball play.

It’s a stupid rule, but it was because he did not stay touching the base when he bumped him.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:23 PM   #307
JPhillips
General Manager

Fun with numbers!

The Yankees have the highest winning percentage in MLB, but they are currently in second place, a half game back of the Red Sox.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:38 AM   #308
tarcone
Coordinator

Wacha was filthy yesterday. No one got good wood on the ball until the hit in the 9th.

So close.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #309
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wacha was filthy yesterday. No one got good wood on the ball until the hit in the 9th.

So close.

I was pulling for him, heck of s game!
Old 06-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #310
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Giants' Dereck Rodriguez, son of Pudge, got a win over the Phillies in his first major league start.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:25 AM   #311
Logan
Head Coach

Not a Yankee fan but ESPN forcing them to move a game from 1pm to 8pm before traveling for a doubleheader the next day is pretty ridiculous.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #312
JPhillips
General Manager

Will be interesting to see if the A's can get Kyler Murray to leave Oklahoma.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #313
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The Giants' Dereck Rodriguez, son of Pudge, got a win over the Phillies in his first major league start.

He looked pretty damned good doing it, as well. His track record isn't amazing, but the stuff he flashed yesterday looked pretty damned good.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:55 PM   #314
korme
Go Reds

This is a seriously simplified, stupid version of a much larger, bigger picture question, but I'll shoot anyway

Is 200 wins the new 300 wins
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #315
stevew
Hall Of Famer

250 maybe is.

Is C.C. a HOFer? Maybe
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:16 PM   #316
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
This is a seriously simplified, stupid version of a much larger, bigger picture question, but I'll shoot anyway

Is 200 wins the new 300 wins

Good question. The way things are going, I could see 200 being the new 300. Not many pitchers go more than 6 innings anymore. And that seems to becoming more rare itself.

Actually, I could see wins as a stat fading away.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:18 PM   #317
tarcone
Coordinator

Heard on the radio today that Reyes is probably done this season. No firm confirmation, but one of the radio guys was reading into the way the Cardinal officials were talking about his injury.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #318
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Good question. The way things are going, I could see 200 being the new 300. Not many pitchers go more than 6 innings anymore. And that seems to becoming more rare itself.

Actually, I could see wins as a stat fading away.

And I do too, I'm honestly the biggest proponent of just throwing out wins and rbis as stats that mean anything in terms of value (because they don't). However, it still is a benchmark. I could *almost* be talked into hits singularly being a worthless stat, too (Ben Revere led the league in hits in 2014 [iirc] and was graded by any measure a below average hitter) - but let's stick to the original topic.

The reason I asked is because it was recently brought up if someone like Jon Lester would be a HOF candidate. I scoffed at first, but upon further review, he has 3 championships (whatever value, it has to have some, Dave Bancroft i.e.), only 4 A-S in a bloated league - it's annoying the dudes that racked up AS appearances when there were 8 teams in each league. Lester also has a very nice career 3.56 ERA, has only had one season below quality ('12), and has been really good for a long stretch. His top 5 Win seasons by total? 19-19-16-16-15. People just don't get numbers anymore and he's at 165 so it seems ridiculous but he's actually an interesting candidate. All in all, he's probably not getting a sniff but I hope you see this example as the reason I bring it up.

Edited to add:
I just wasted my time looking up Lester numbers when a much better example would be King Felix, who has exactly one more win than Jon (166), but probably a much better resume (2 CY for starters). That's probably a better example of how even 250 seems fucking impossible today.

Last edited by korme : 06-05-2018 at 08:35 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #319
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
250 maybe is.

Is C.C. a HOFer? Maybe

Saw an interesting stat, CC is the leader among active players in complete games with 38. That ranks him 997th all time. Only 711 behind the all time leader Cy Young.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #320
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I just wasted my time looking up Lester numbers when a much better example would be King Felix, who has exactly one more win than Jon (166), but probably a much better resume (2 CY for starters). That's probably a better example of how even 250 seems fucking impossible today.
Felix is going to be an interesting case. A huge amount depends on whether he can turn himself into an effective 'crafty' pitcher now that his fastball is pedestrian. The early reviews are not good on that front, but he's made adjustments throughout his career and I'm not yet ready to write-off the possibility he'll find a late-career rebirth.

With Felix you have a pitcher that got to the majors early to start the counting stats but struggled to harness his stuff (2005-2008), then hit a peak period of very high-level pitching (2009-2014) but has rapidly descended to being just barely above replacement-level.

If you'd asked me five years ago, I would have expected Felix would end up a lock for the Hall of Fame. Now...boy, I dunno. If he can't turn things around to being at least a decent starter for 3-5 more years, I don't think he gets in.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #321
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Felix is going to be an interesting case. A huge amount depends on whether he can turn himself into an effective 'crafty' pitcher now that his fastball is pedestrian. The early reviews are not good on that front, but he's made adjustments throughout his career and I'm not yet ready to write-off the possibility he'll find a late-career rebirth.

With Felix you have a pitcher that got to the majors early to start the counting stats but struggled to harness his stuff (2005-2008), then hit a peak period of very high-level pitching (2009-2014) but has rapidly descended to being just barely above replacement-level.

If you'd asked me five years ago, I would have expected Felix would end up a lock for the Hall of Fame. Now...boy, I dunno. If he can't turn things around to being at least a decent starter for 3-5 more years, I don't think he gets in.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. And I was actually surprised when looking at his stats that he's not closer and a lock already. He's 3/4 of the way there by almost every metric but if he doesn't turn it around from the last few years he's not going to make it. Which really was a shocker for me.

His #2 and #3 comparables through age 31 are Smoltz and Doc Gooden, which I thought was interesting. He probably doesn't need the entire career that Smoltz did after this point, but he definitely needs the 3-4 years of being at least in the top 10 pitcher in his league conversation.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:07 AM   #322
Logan
Head Coach

Last edited by Logan : 06-14-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #323
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yeah, I'd agree with this. And I was actually surprised when looking at his stats that he's not closer and a lock already. He's 3/4 of the way there by almost every metric but if he doesn't turn it around from the last few years he's not going to make it. Which really was a shocker for me.

His #2 and #3 comparables through age 31 are Smoltz and Doc Gooden, which I thought was interesting. He probably doesn't need the entire career that Smoltz did after this point, but he definitely needs the 3-4 years of being at least in the top 10 pitcher in his league conversation.

Tim Lincecum with a higher statistical peak and longer tenure. Still super bummed about how fast he burned out.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #324
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Tim Lincecum with a higher statistical peak and longer tenure. Still super bummed about how fast he burned out.
You have to think that Lincecum got everything he could out of the body he was born into. Made the most of his ability, but his body just wasn't built to withstand the kind of torque he put on his arm.

He'll always be a Husky legend both from his performance on the field and his tremendous generosity since then in funding program improvements.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #325
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Dola -

Not to pile on too much, but his dad wasn't exactly Nostradamus with his predictions:
Quote:
"He'll throw forever," Chris once posted on a blog, referring to his son, "and maintain his velocities and the best breaking ball since Sandy Koufax and the best fastball since Gibson and Feller.

https://www.si.com/vault/2008/07/07/...pitching-giant
Old 06-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #326
PilotMan
Head Coach

Way to go Hunter Strickland

hxxps://deadspin.com/world-class-doofus-hunter-strickland-out-for-two-months-1826969957

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #327
kingfc22
Head Coach

Giants have the market cornered on broken pinky fingers. #3 so far.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #328
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I’m currently arguing with a lady on Twitter that if offered, the Mets should trade DeGrom for Trout. I realize this is not going to happen. The argument started when she commented no position player is worth trading DeGrom for. Then punctuated it with an additional NONE! I countered by telling her she is wrong and that Trout guy is pretty good.

She disagrees.

I need to reassess how I spend my free time.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #329
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm just happy the Mets stink enough that it looks like I'll be able to get good seats for cheap when the Res come in August!
Old 06-22-2018, 08:59 PM   #330
tarcone
Coordinator

Something special brewing in Milwaukee. Flaherty is awesome through 5.Hos slider is unhittable. The Brewers are flailing at pitches.

Last edited by tarcone : 06-22-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:04 PM   #331
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If you like shitty bullpens, then ATL-BAL is for you
Old 06-22-2018, 10:29 PM   #332
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Does anyone have MLB Extra Innings on DirecTV? Is it working properly? I get the mix channel on 720, but clickng on any game takes me to channels that have nothing on them. The channel listings for 721-748 show games, but none of them are right and I can only find like 3 of the current games on. I'm watching the ATL/BAL game by going to Fox Sports OH, not the MLB Extra Inning channels. What gives? Is this just my DTV that's messed up? This kinda pisses me off.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:47 PM   #333
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Something special brewing in Milwaukee. Flaherty is awesome through 5.Hos slider is unhittable. The Brewers are flailing at pitches.

What was it?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:57 PM   #334
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Too bad this F$%^$#ing team sucks! Nobody can hit a F$(&%ing ball.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:27 AM   #335
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
What was it?

Flaherty had a no hitter going and was absolutely filthy. He got into pitch count trouble in the 6th and then allowed a one-handed solo shot to Aguliar. On a low pitch to boot.

Cardinals couldnt hit themselves out of a wet paper bag.

I saw the Cards GM yesterday where I was reffing. His daughter was playing. I so wanted to go tell him to find another impact bat. So, so tempted.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:26 PM   #336
MrBug708
Head Coach

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/06/23/lu...campaign=sinow
Old 06-23-2018, 10:39 PM   #337
bhlloy
Coordinator

I can’t imagine the Midwest being somewhere that would be a good idea to try that. I really hope he’s never allowed anywhere near MLB. If alleged domestic abuse is now something that gets you a 75 game suspension then a guilty plea to sexual abuse of a minor should be a lifetime ban.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:50 PM   #338
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Edwin Jackson joining his 13th team. He might be able to get to 15 or so before he retires. Can't believe he's only 34.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:49 AM   #339
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I can’t imagine the Midwest being somewhere that would be a good idea to try that. I really hope he’s never allowed anywhere near MLB. If alleged domestic abuse is now something that gets you a 75 game suspension then a guilty plea to sexual abuse of a minor should be a lifetime ban.

They have no soul in the Midwest. Missouri gov did all that shit and they openly support a thrice married serial philanderer.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:35 AM   #340
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
They have no soul in the Midwest. Missouri gov did all that shit and they openly support a thrice married serial philanderer.

Im not sure which Missouri governor you are referring that had sexual contact with a 6 year old.

And Im not sure being married 3 times and cheating is on the same level as having sexual contact with a 6 year old.

But, what do I know. Im shocked the Royals are doing this. Then again, winning and making money trumps all.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:23 AM   #341
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'd vocally chastise the Dodgers if there were to sign him, but would probably secretly be fine with it.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #342
PilotMan
Head Coach

Reds pitcher, Michael Lorenzen just hit his 3rd HR of the week. Yesterday and today as a pinch hitter, and today was a grand slam.

Like Steam?

Old 06-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #343
JPhillips
General Manager

Second pitcher grand slam in the last week, after waiting 60 years since the previous one.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:24 PM   #344
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

WTF are the Mariners wearing?
Old 06-30-2018, 10:19 PM   #345
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
WTF are the Mariners wearing?

"And that's how 'Turn the Clock Ahead' Night died a lonely, ignominious death."

Last edited by Shkspr : 06-30-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #346
JPhillips
General Manager

I wonder if Matt Harvey is fixed. He's had three good starts against the Braves, Cubs and Brewers. I'd love to see a story on what, if anything, he's doing different.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #347
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I wonder if Matt Harvey is fixed. He's had three good starts against the Braves, Cubs and Brewers. I'd love to see a story on what, if anything, he's doing different.

I would have to think that, "Not needing to worry about the fucking NY media" would be at the top of the list.

Like Steam?

Old 07-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #348
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Whatever the story, the headline isn’t going to be, “Excellent Pitching Coaching in Cinncinnati Fixes Harvey.” Trust me, I’m not a fan but I live in the area. The Reds haven’t done wonders for any pitcher in an extremely long today time.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #349
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Don't know if anyone does MLB DFS here, but I swept all the FD single entries today in the $1-$10 range. Also 9th in the grand slam. $3800 on $28 in entries. I usually do the $25 single entry also but didn't today
Old 07-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #350
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Break out the brooms, is this Atlanta team for real or do we just really suck?

:P