Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-25-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Deep Thoughts by Antmeister71

Lately I have been having a number of deep thoughts that I think many more people can elaborate on if you have the answer.

Deep Thought #1: BAM!
I just saw at the end of the wife debating thread that someone quoted Emeril Lagasse's famous catchphrase "Bam!"

After some deep thought I remembered that this Emeril Lagasse's catch phrase was used almost a decade before in a cult TV show back in the early 90's which was called "In Living Color". David Allen Grier and Tommy Davidson, who were both very bad television producers, used to say this whenever they whipped out their business cards. Is it possible that Emeril Lagasse was a big fan of this show and stole (ahem borrowed) this line.

Deep Thought #2: Boy Bands
A number of people tend to think that boy bands started with New Kids in the Block. Why? There are a number of groups that come to mind that were very successful before them. Why did this term come about and what makes them different than any other pop phemonon in the past? And why are they called bands when they don't even play instruments?

Deep Thought #3:Coral Castle
When people talk about the great wonders/mysteries of the world, people often think of pyramids, Easter Island, and Stone Henge. But here in the United States, we have probably one of the most perplexing wonders that is never discussed. In Florida exists this place called Coral Castle. This entire castle was built out of Coral and to top it all off, it was built by one man, Edward Leedskalnin, in the early part of the 1900s. To this day no one can figure out how it was built. Why does this get no publicity?

Deep Thought #4: Grits
Since I grew up eating this stuff, I love it. But I found something out that was fascinating to me when I discussed Grits with my wife. When I asked her one day if I should buy some at the store several months ago, she gave me a puzzled look. Apparently she has never heard of/or eaten grits. That didn't really surprise me because I realize people grow up eating different things. I guess what surprised me is that she never seen a store that carried it. So upon visitng where she grew up (East Los Angeles), I discovered that a number of stores (not mom and pop stores) didn't carry them. While I know that a store can't carry everything, I thought Grits was actually something that was an American staple, much like hot dogs and hamburgers. So I am curious. Do the stores in your area carry grits?

(By the way, my wife hates them. She says its the consistency that she can't stand).

Last edited by Antmeister : 08-26-2005 at 04:07 AM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

#1 - I got nothing
#2 - American Heritage says band = "1.a A group of people" ... I suppose using the term for non-musicians is mostly laziness, but it's still accurate (and presumably where the musical term was derived from anyway).
#3 - Probably a lack of marketing as much as anything else, as well as the fact it isn't nearly as old as any of the other sites you mentioned. Plus it's kinda stuck close to the ass end of the country.
#4 - Obviously I've got access to just about every type of grit known to mankind.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:11 PM   #3
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
Deep Thought #2:Boy Bands
A number of people tend to think that boy bands started with New Kids in the Block. Why? There are a number of groups that come to mind that were very successful before them. Why did this term come about and what makes them different than any other pop phemonon in the past? And why are they called bands when they don't even play instruments?

While you are correct that many "boy" bands existed before this, the first boy band is historically thought of as Menudo. This was the formula that was copied. The connotation is these musical acts are NOT bands, hence the "boy" adjective. It could be argued that the Monkees were in fact the first boy band, as for the first season of their show they, too, could not play instruments. The "faking" it got the best of them, though, and they taught themselves (and the rest is history).

Quote:
Since I grew up eating this stuff, I love it. But I found something out that was fascinating to me when I discussed Grits with my wife. When I asked her one day if I should buy some at the store several months ago, she gave me a puzzled look. Apparently she has never heard of or eaten grits. That didn't really surprise me all that much because I realize people grow up eating different things. I guess what surprised me is that she never seen a store that carried it. So upon visitng where she grew up (East Los Angeles), I discovered that a number of stores (not mom and pop stores) didn't carry them. While I know that a store can't carry everything, I thought Grits was actually something that was an American staple, much like hot dogs and hamburgers. So I am curious. Does the stores in your area carry grits?

After extensive traveling, I too have found that grits simply are not the American tradition most believe they are. They are actually a southern staple (cheap to make, buy, and eat, much like homony) that crept north during the industrialization of America when the population began to migrate to the urban centres. Westward expansion occurred at a similar period in history FROM the already industrialized north, so grits "missed the wagon train", so to speak, for the trek west.

Just a couple of stabs at your thoughts...

Regards,
Chas
Old 08-25-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Deep Thought #1:BAM!
I just saw at the end of the wife debating thread that someone quoted Emeril Lagasse's famous catchphrase "Bam!"

After some deep thought I remembered that this Emeril Lagasse's catch phrase was used almost a decade before in a cult TV show back in the early 90's which was called "In Living Color". David Allen Grier and Tommy Davidson, who were both very bad television producers, used to say this whenever they whipped out their business cards. Is it possible that Emeril Lagasse was a big fan of this show and stole (ahem borrowed) this line.
No comment. Didn't watch In Living Color because I couldn't watch TV from about 1991 through 1996 (was at college).

Quote:
Deep Thought #2:Boy Bands
To me, they were around when I was growing up. The Jackson 5 were history by then, so I would consider them the first boy bands...plus I don't think that people looked at groups like The Jackson 5 as being gay. I looked at NKOTB as being gay. A band is a bunch of performers who play musical instruments. Your voice could be considered a musical instrument.

Quote:
Deep Thought #3:Coral Castle
When people talk about the great wonders/mysteries of the world, people often think of pyramids, Easter Island, and Stone Henge. But here in the United States, we have probably one of the most perplexing wonders that is never discussed. In Florida exist this place called Coral Castle. This entire castle was built out of Coral and to top it all off, it was built by one man, Edward Leedskalnin, in the early part of the 1900s. To this day no one can figure out how it was built. Why does this get no publicity?
Didn't even know about it.

Quote:
Since I grew up eating this stuff, I love it. But I found something out that was fascinating to me when I discussed Grits with my wife. When I asked her one day if I should buy some at the store several months ago, she gave me a puzzled look. Apparently she has never heard of or eaten grits. That didn't really surprise me all that much because I realize people grow up eating different things. I guess what surprised me is that she never seen a store that carried it. So upon visitng where she grew up (East Los Angeles), I discovered that a number of stores (not mom and pop stores) didn't carry them. While I know that a store can't carry everything, I thought Grits was actually something that was an American staple, much like hot dogs and hamburgers. So I am curious. Does the stores in your area carry grits?

(By the way, my wife hates them. She says its the consistency that she can't stand).
No. I think it might be a Southern thing. I have never eaten them.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:15 PM   #5
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
#1 - I got nothing
#2 - American Heritage says band = "1.a A group of people" ... I suppose using the term for non-musicians is mostly laziness, but it's still accurate (and presumably where the musical term was derived from anyway).
#3 - Probably a lack of marketing as much as anything else, as well as the fact it isn't nearly as old as any of the other sites you mentioned. Plus it's kinda stuck close to the ass end of the country.
#4 - Obviously I've got access to just about every type of grit known to mankind.

#2: Good point. I never thought through that one deep enough. A band of pirates, Robin Hood and his band of merry men, etc. But it still doesn't explain why New Kids on the Block are still consider the pioneers.

#3: I understand that Florida may not give it any publicity, but I don't even see many documentaries or educational shows about this place. I see more on crop circles than I do on this fascinating place.

#4:Yippee! Another grit eater.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:21 PM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Deep Thought #1:BAM!

The delivery is completely different. I mean, remember Fred Flinstone's kid, Bam Bam? He said "Bam!" a lot too, but it's nothing like Emeril's "Bam!" or like the In Living Color "Bam!" That "Bam!" was more like a "Baaaaaammm!" in a high pitched voice (not totally unlike you're own ).

I loved that skit, by the way. If I ever give a friend one of my business cards, I always try to do that number on them. Never gets old.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:22 PM   #7
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
No comment. Didn't watch In Living Color because I couldn't watch TV from about 1991 through 1996 (was at college).

I'm sorry....missed out on a good show. Two very good actors came from that show.

Quote:
To me, they were around when I was growing up. The Jackson 5 were history by then, so I would consider them the first boy bands...plus I don't think that people looked at groups like The Jackson 5 as being gay. I looked at NKOTB as being gay. A band is a bunch of performers who play musical instruments. Your voice could be considered a musical instrument.
LOL

Quote:
Didn't even know about it.
I am telling you that even the story of the place is fascinating. I will visit there one day.

Quote:
No. I think it might be a Southern thing. I have never eaten them.
You are most likely correct. It is most likely a bad assumption on my part
Old 08-25-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in Cinti
...After extensive traveling, I too have found that grits simply are not the American tradition most believe they are. They are actually a southern staple (cheap to make, buy, and eat, much like homony) that crept north during the industrialization of America when the population began to migrate to the urban centres. Westward expansion occurred at a similar period in history FROM the already industrialized north, so grits "missed the wagon train", so to speak, for the trek west...

Interesting. I like this answer.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
#4:Yippee! Another grit eater.

Actually, I can't stand the blasted things, I'm really picky about food textures & grits are too close to trying to chew sand for my palate.

And now I wait for SD or any of our other Southerners to try to revoke my regional citizenship for that admission. (At least I don't put sugar on them & try to fake it).
Old 08-25-2005, 04:29 PM   #10
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Quote:
And now I wait for SD or any of our other Southerners to try to revoke my regional citizenship for that admission. (At least I don't put sugar on them & try to fake it).

I prefer mine with Butter, Pepper, and Tabasco... I LOVE grits... buy them by the case (seriously).

-Chas
Old 08-25-2005, 04:30 PM   #11
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Actually, I can't stand the blasted things, I'm really picky about food textures & grits are too close to trying to chew sand for my palate.

LOL....so you are more on the side of my wife, you don't like them.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:36 PM   #12
korme
Go Reds

The only place I know grits exist at is Waffle House.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:48 PM   #13
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I knew I wouldn't be able to find red beans and rice or po-boys up here in Greensburg, but I forgot about grits.

oh shi
Old 08-25-2005, 04:49 PM   #14
wishbone
High School JV

Growing up in Oregon, I don't even know what grits are. I think they are just a word that comes up when making of the South. I'm not trying to offend anyone, just saying that out here, to me, grits is not a food item, it's a punchline.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:53 PM   #15
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

If it wasn't for My Cousin Vinny I'd never know what a grit was. No grits around here.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:01 PM   #16
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
If it wasn't for My Cousin Vinny I'd never know what a grit was. No grits around here.
What about the TV show, Alice? Did you ever watch it? Flo always said, "Kiss my grits!"
Old 08-25-2005, 05:01 PM   #17
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Wait a minute, I just realized grits have been mostly everywhere I have lived and most of it wasn't in the South. Sure my parents are from the South, but I have bought grits in Barstow, 29 Palms, Santa Ana, Oceanside, Vista, Escondido, and San Diego (all in California) as well as here in Phoenix. Los Angeles even sold it, just not in the section where my wife lived which is mainly a Hispanic population.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:02 PM   #18
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
What about the TV show, Alice? Did you ever watch it? Flo always said, "Kiss my grits!"

Damn, I am embarrased to say that I used to watch that show back in the day as well. Stop showing our age!
Old 08-25-2005, 05:15 PM   #19
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
The delivery is completely different. I mean, remember Fred Flinstone's kid, Bam Bam? He said "Bam!" a lot too, but it's nothing like Emeril's "Bam!" or like the In Living Color "Bam!" That "Bam!" was more like a "Baaaaaammm!" in a high pitched voice (not totally unlike you're own ).

I loved that skit, by the way. If I ever give a friend one of my business cards, I always try to do that number on them. Never gets old.

See The Family Guy eposide when Peter and Brian catch Quag and Cleveland's wife sleeping with each other (a new eposide), and they are in the bar, and Peter starts going, "Bam! Bam!, Bam!", then goes "take it Bam-Bam", "BAM!", "BAM" (slamming his stick doing it), then goes "take it Emeril", "Bam".
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:14 PM   #20
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue

C'mon.....the delivery is exactly the same. It wasn't a long "Baaaaaammmmm!". It was short and ear splitting and was intended to give the recepient a near heart attack. I am convinced that Emeril took that phrase, I am sure of it.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:13 PM   #21
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
C'mon.....the delivery is exactly the same. It wasn't a long "Baaaaaammmmm!". It was short and ear splitting and was intended to give the recepient a near heart attack. I am convinced that Emeril took that phrase, I am sure of it.
I agree, it was definitely short and loud. Usually preceeded by a mumbled "Hm, I have it here somewhere, let me just look in my pocket, ah yes..."
Old 08-25-2005, 11:02 PM   #22
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
I agree, it was definitely short and loud. Usually preceeded by a mumbled "Hm, I have it here somewhere, let me just look in my pocket, ah yes..."

I remember the "BAM!" being nothing like Emeril's bam. Loud? Yes. But it had a much higher pitch and was drawn out a bit for effect.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:06 PM   #23
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Had never, ever heard the term "Grits" until I went to college in Atlanta at Age 17.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:28 AM   #24
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Ok well I guess I am not alone in believing Emeril is borrowing that phrase from "In Living Color". Check out this link. Wikipedia does not make it a fact, but it sure is interesting to know I wasn't the only one that thought this:

http://www.answers.com/topic/in-living-color
Old 08-26-2005, 03:36 AM   #25
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm a big grits fan too Ant, love them, try to eat them as often as I can.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:24 AM   #26
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Ant, since you seem to remember In Living Color pretty well, will you please support me in my lonely crusade to acknowledge that the show had two different theme songs in various seasons? I posted it before and everyone just laughed at me.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:25 AM   #27
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Ant, since you seem to remember In Living Color pretty well, will you please support me in my lonely crusade to acknowledge that the show had two different theme songs in various seasons? I posted it before and everyone just laughed at me.
*points at you* Ha ha!
Old 08-26-2005, 08:25 AM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ant, since you seem to remember In Living Color pretty well, will you please support me in my lonely crusade to acknowledge that the show had two different theme songs in various seasons?

Damn, this is easy.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0098830/soundtrack

# "In Living Color"
(Theme Song)
by Heavy D and The Boyz
(seasons 1 and 2)

# "That's the Way You're Living When You're Living In Living Color"
(Theme Song)
by Heavy D and The Boyz
(seasons 3 and 4)
Old 08-26-2005, 08:27 AM   #29
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Damn, this is easy.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0098830/soundtrack

# "In Living Color"
(Theme Song)
by Heavy D and The Boyz
(seasons 1 and 2)

# "That's the Way You're Living When You're Living In Living Color"
(Theme Song)
by Heavy D and The Boyz
(seasons 3 and 4)
*points at you* Ha ha!
Old 08-26-2005, 08:34 AM   #30
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

Maple Leafs, here at FOFC, we strive to provide the information you are seeking. But please be forewarned that there will be times when people laugh and ridicule you and there are times, more often than not, where your posts will degenerate and morph into a topic that covers "Breast enhancers vs. Twizzlers" controversy. Now thanks to the quick clicking of JonInMiddleGA, you now have the answer you have sought. And thanks to RaidersArmy, you get a free ribbing and it doesn't even cost you a thing. Welcome to the FOFC and have a good day.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:39 AM   #31
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

When you use Twizzlers as breast enhancers, do you use glue or spit to make them stick?
Old 08-26-2005, 08:43 AM   #32
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in Cinti
When you use Twizzlers as breast enhancers, do you use glue or spit to make them stick?

The degeneration has begun....morphing will begin in 5 posts.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:35 PM   #33
Silver Owl
High School JV

As a kid growing up in the hills of Kentucky we ate something called "mush" which is very similar to grits. I used to love mush but when I tried grits as an adult I didn't care for it.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:17 PM   #34
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:

bumped because I never saw this the first time around but have to comment on Funky Finger Productions ...

David Alan Grier usually said something like "let me give you my card", but then patted himself down and said "You know what? I'm fresh out. Howard?"

Tommy Davidson (Howard) would then laugh or something while basically standing still for a few seconds, and then ... BAM! He also had to point out that it was actually someone else's business card, and that he had written his info on the back.

It was indeed short and very loud, and I also seem to remember that it was much higher pitched than Emeril's version.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:27 PM   #35
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Grits are what southerners eat, cream of wheat is what midwesterners eat. At least thats how I understood it growing up in Michigan, Texas, Georgia, then Florida. I still eat cream of wheat and have never touched grits.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:48 PM   #36
Schmidty
Coordinator

One of the recipes that I make, and love, is cheesy grits with shrimp and spicy salsa. My wife loves it too, so I make it quite a few times a year.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:06 PM   #37
Craptacular
College Starter

Speaking of In Living color, the episode where they just play a bunch of song spoof sketches is on BET right now.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:17 PM   #38
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh, I forgot about "Head Detective" (reading the Wiki page). I seem to remember the BAM! as being pretty short and loud, a lot like Emeril's actually. But it's been a while.

I didn't have grits that often growing up outside Philly, though I'm sure we had them once in a blue moon. Hash browns were much more prevalent (if we even had a starch besides toast with our eggs - often it was just bacon, sausage, or even scrapple or pork roll...mmm, pork roll). My wife's family is southern, so we have them more often. I love them, personally. Don't worry though Ant, I'm sure there have been times when other southern board members have mistaken a largely southern phenomenon as being one that is universal.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:27 PM   #39
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

You'll find grits in any area that has a Cracker Barrel.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:35 PM   #40
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dammit, am I hungry for pork roll now...