Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Looking for a barbershop in Austin, TX

Can someone tell me where a good barbershop is that would actually know what a skin fade is and would have the appropriate clippers for my type of hair. I know this may sound like a weird post, but as a Black man, I always have a hard time finding a good barbershop. I have had the best luck at Black owned barbershops and Military barbershops (since they cut a variety of hair).

I hope someone has an idea where I can find one near Century Park Blvd and Mopac Expressway that won't butcher my hair and place plugs in it. I have a number of bad experiences when I strayed away from the barbershops I had the best luck with.

Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

there's one on the drag right by the tower that you should avoid, because the old dudes there like to rub their crotches on the armrest. it's icky.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

ohhh there they go. there they go. why every time i start talkin about boxing a white man gotta pull Rocky Marciano out they ass? rocky marcciano was good, but compared to joe lewis, rocky marciano aint shit.

he beat joe lewis' ass.

he did beat joe lewis ass.

joe lewis was 75 years old when they fought, jow lewis came out of retirement to fight rocky marciano. jow lewis always lied about his age. one time frank sinatra came in here and sat down on this chair. i said frank u always hanging out with joe lewis. just between me and you how old is he? u know what frank said? jow lewis is 137 yeas old. 137 years old!

u aint never meet no frank sinatra.

FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOU! , whos next?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Please, somebody help me. I don't want to know about crotch stained armrests or movie quotes. Give me some damn valid information with a small sprinkling of jokes. Yes they made me laugh, but I need a damn barber.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister
Please, somebody help me. I don't want to know about crotch stained armrests or movie quotes. Give me some damn valid information with a small sprinkling of jokes. Yes they made me laugh, but I need a damn barber.

oh what your clever little songs aren't going help you now are they hair boy.

only jeeber can save you now. unless he lives somewhere else in texas. maybe huckleberry.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

Sorry, I haven't spent any significant amount of time in Austin since I was five years old. And even if I did, I doubt I would know where a black man could get a decent haircut.

Me, I just go to Sports Clips...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I troll the South Austin area, since that's the closest metro place to me. Can't vouch for the type of specific treatment you're looking for, but I've have luck with the SportClips chain (hxxp://www.sportclips.com/). They cater directly to guys, with sports themed shops.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
D'oh, Jeebs beat me to it.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I know this may sound like a weird post, but as a Black man, I always have a hard time finding a good barbershop.

Try living in Wyoming.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-03-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #10
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
I troll the South Austin area, since that's the closest metro place to me. Can't vouch for the type of specific treatment you're looking for, but I've have luck with the SportClips chain (hxxp://www.sportclips.com/). They cater directly to guys, with sports themed shops.

Ahhhh.....sports themed barbershops will definitely work. I go to barbershops for both atmosphere and for the haircut. I will have to look into this. I never seen a sports themed barbershop chain before, so this looks cool. Thank you sir.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #11
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Dola,

And thank you JeeberD for the mention as well
Old 05-03-2006, 02:02 PM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Ahhhh.....sports themed barbershops will definitely work. I go to barbershops for both atmosphere and for the haircut. I will have to look into this. I never seen a sports themed barbershop chain before, so this looks cool. Thank you sir.

And don't let DC know, but the staff is usually pretty easy on the eyes.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #13
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Try living in Wyoming.

Damn....

In Phoenix, I have to drive 20 minutes to go to a good barbershop. But I imagine Wyoming doesn't give you a number of options. I would have to go completely bald if I lived there.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:07 PM   #14
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
And don't let DC know, but the staff is usually pretty easy on the eyes.

I plan to visit there every two weeks then. Thanks for the tip. I promise I won't let DC know on this open message board.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:15 PM   #15
Huckleberry
College Starter

I think sachmo71 is referring to Wooten Barber Shop. I went there as a kid and again in college. Never noticed the crotch-rubbing.

While I am a fountain of information re: Austin, I'm not going to be much help on the black man hair issue. Lack of personal experience. However, when I read the first post I also thought of SportsClips. There are several all over town.

You're talking about way north, and there's one in the shopping center at the northeast corner of Parmer Ln and I-35.

According to Google maps the two intersections are 3.1 miles away from each other. Take MoPac south and head east on Parmer.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 05-03-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:16 PM   #16
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
I think sachmo71 is referring to Wooten Barber Shop. I went there as a kid and again in college. Never noticed the crotch-rubbing.

While I am a fountain of information re: Austin, I'm not going to be much help on the black man hair issue. Lack of personal experience. However, when I read the first post I also thought of SportsClips. There are several all over town.

You're talking about way north, and there's one in the shopping center at the northeast corner of Parmer Ln and I-35.

I think they only did the crotch rubbing when sachmo71 was there.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #17
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Dola,

And thank you JeeberD for the mention as well

No problem. Fair warning, though...the SportsClips that I go to is covered in Dallas Cowboys posters and merchandise. I'm guessing that the ones down in Austin are going to be slathered with a sickly shade of orange...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #18
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
No problem. Fair warning, though...the SportsClips that I go to is covered in Dallas Cowboys posters and merchandise. I'm guessing that the ones down in Austin are going to be slathered with a sickly shade of orange...

Not so much. It seems to be evenly split between Cowboys, Texans, and Spurs stuff at the one I go to. However, they do have the full compliment of Longhorn sports knick-knacks you can buy up front.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Damn....

In Phoenix, I have to drive 20 minutes to go to a good barbershop. But I imagine Wyoming doesn't give you a number of options. I would have to go completely bald if I lived there.

Hahaha...options?

I've gone to cutting my own hair, just so I don't go downtown and pay some dude to mess up my hairline. I've tried to convince my younger brother to come here and I'd help him open a shop, but..he says he doesn't have the patience for it. Bah..patience. There is money to be made.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I plan to visit there every two weeks then. Thanks for the tip. I promise I won't let DC know on this open message board.

::cover eyes::
Old 05-03-2006, 06:45 PM   #21
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I lived in East Cobb when I shaved my head for the first time over a decade ago. Avoiding having to drive a long way to get a decent haircut was definitely a factor.