Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2006, 01:39 AM   #1
Antmeister
Pro Starter

For FOFC Musicians and Music Lovers

While listening to one of my podcasts, the host mentioned how she acquired her new bumper music from this online label called Magnatune. As usual, my curiosity got me totally sidetracked and I looked into their website and of course this lead me to other sites of this nature.

Magnatune: http://magnatune.com/

What is nice about this label is that they have taken on a new philosophy about selling music. You can listen to an artists' entire label for free and decide to purchase that able from anywhere to $5 to $18 ($8 is what they suggest as typical, but you can buy from anywhere in that range). What is also nice is that if you need to license the music for film, internet, DVD, etc., it is automated on their web site. Very nice! Now for the sake of musicians who may want to take a chance there, they split the costs of the album 50/50 and that is just a small part of the contract terms which can be viewed herehere. Just think of this place as a shareware label. Nice!

Jamendo: http://www.jamendo.com/us/

While Magnatune is like shareware, Jamendo falls more under the category of donationware. The music supplied on this site is free and can only be used for non-commercial purposed under the Creative Commons license. That means the music can be freely traded (depending on how it was licensed), but it is encouraged that you donate to the artist if you like the song. For licensing for commercial work, they have a section The site is not that well organized, but there is some great music there. I am currently listening to MEA and the music is awesome.

ccMixter: http://ccmixter.org/media/view/media/home

For all you mixer out there (if any), here is a site that will allow you to take samples of anyone's work that fall under the Creative Commons license and make new creations. The Beastie Boys even allowed for some of their music to be sampled here. This is a better organized site. If you are an artist that would want to hear how someone would remix your song, this is a good way to go.

So check out these sites just for listening to the music alone.

Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:05 AM   #2
mckerney
Coordinator

I'd recommend Jonathan Coulton, who along with his Thing a Week, putting a new song up on his site for free download every week, has all his other songs for free stream or download. He's also a supported of the Creative Commons license.

hxxp://www.jonathancoulton.com/

Along with Ooklah the Mok (hxxp://www.otmfan.com) he's the best nerd rock musician with free offerings on the web.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
I'd recommend Jonathan Coulton, who along with his Thing a Week, putting a new song up on his site for free download every week, has all his other songs for free stream or download. He's also a supported of the Creative Commons license.

hxxp://www.jonathancoulton.com/

Along with Ooklah the Mok (hxxp://www.otmfan.com) he's the best nerd rock musician with free offerings on the web.

Cool...thanks for the other links.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I guess it would also help if I gave out the direct link to obtain a Creative Commons license. It is not just for audio. You could also get one for videos, images, text, etc.

http://creativecommons.org/
Old 02-16-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Weedshare.com is a similar type of site, it sounds like, although ultimately you have to pay for the music you download. You can download the featured artists' tracks for free and get 3 free listens before you are required to pay for the track. Artists get 50% of the money, and I think 30% goes to Weedshare and the other 20% goes to whomever you bought the file from. So, in other words, you can make money by distributing the files yourself, if those people buy the files. It's a bit too Amway for me, but I appreciate the fact that they've got some great artists on their site whose music otherwise wouldn't see the light of day.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #6
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Weedshare.com is a similar type of site, it sounds like, although ultimately you have to pay for the music you download. You can download the featured artists' tracks for free and get 3 free listens before you are required to pay for the track. Artists get 50% of the money, and I think 30% goes to Weedshare and the other 20% goes to whomever you bought the file from. So, in other words, you can make money by distributing the files yourself, if those people buy the files. It's a bit too Amway for me, but I appreciate the fact that they've got some great artists on their site whose music otherwise wouldn't see the light of day.

Now that is an interesting concept. What better way to encourage people to promote the music they like. Thanks for the heads up. Never heard of it.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's funny, I thought that too, but then I started thinking of it as Amway, and although I never attempted to make any coin off of the artists I liked, I still told people where to download the music.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
Schmidty
Coordinator

The title got me all excited that you had made a new song.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
The title got me all excited that you had made a new song.

HOLY CRAP!!!

YOU DID MAKE A NEW SONG!!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #10
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
HOLY CRAP!!!

YOU DID MAKE A NEW SONG!!!!

LOL....yeah, I usually don't point out in the thread title that this is a new song. Maybe I should do that for future releases.