Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2004, 01:15 PM   #1
thetrilogy
Mascot

FOF2004 Game Winning Kick (GWK)

We need this stat for the kickers please.

How hard can it be to put that in a patch?

thetrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 01:16 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

how realistic is such a rating?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 01:23 PM   #3
thetrilogy
Mascot

Not very, but I'm always interested in how many chances the
kickers get for the win and what percentage they hit the winning FG.

Just look at the playoffs this weekend, how many times kickers played
huge roles in the outcomes of the games.
thetrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 01:31 PM   #4
Suicane75
Coordinator

Screw that, I wanna be able to Put TE's in the WR slots.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 01:32 PM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I'm sorry. I actually misread your first message as wanting a rating for game-winning kicks. I think seeing a skill rating like that would be giving us too much info.

Sure. I think it would be the equivelant of the "4Q Heroics" stat that the QB's have. You could count field goals that either tie the game or win in the last 5 minutes or OT.

Works for me! good idea.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:34 PM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Screw that, I wanna be able to Put TE's in the WR slots.

Despite what Brian Billick does... that is a very rare occurence in real life. It would also give us a cheap alternative to WR's in the game. I think it'd be too much of an advantage for the human player.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:42 PM   #7
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Despite what Brian Billick does... that is a very rare occurence in real life. It would also give us a cheap alternative to WR's in the game. I think it'd be too much of an advantage for the human player.

but I can put FB's in at HB and that rarely happens IRL too...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 01:45 PM   #8
dunkem
Mascot

A stat that would be nice is to have a breakdown of made fieldgoals by distance. 1-19,20-29,30-39,40-49,50+.

I think the "clutch" rating, if any, should be invisible, but the stat for late game-winning field goals would be a good addition like the 4Q heroic stat.
dunkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 01:45 PM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
but I can put FB's in at HB and that rarely happens IRL too...

I'd say that Jim should remove that option in future versions. Mike Alstott is basically the only HB/FB hybrid back in the NFL.

I do think we should retain the feature to specify the 3rd down/passing/certain passing backs. I think you should be able to stick a FB in those slots.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:48 PM   #10
Tasan
College Starter

Well, Richie Anderson spots at HB sometimes, so I think it happens a little more often that you'd think, but it is a real often thing.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:49 PM   #11
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan
Well, Richie Anderson spots at HB sometimes, so I think it happens a little more often that you'd think, but it is a real often thing.

I was going to bring up Richie Anderson as well (sigh.. one of my favorite Jets ever...)

I guess it happens a bit here and there... but i don't know if the benfit of including it outweighs the massive advantage a human can have by exploiting it.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:56 PM   #12
Suicane75
Coordinator

OK, thats a fair point, but running a 2 TE offense where they both get a decent amount of passes thrown to them is nearly impossible, unless im doing something wrong, which is entirely possible.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:57 PM   #13
primelord
Pro Rookie

Actually I think you are starting to see a lot more of the TE in a WR slot these days. Granted it is only the exceptional guys, but Heap, Shockey, Gonzalez, and Sharpe all get put out wide from time to time. Plus teams like the Raiders use guys like Teyo Johnson in that role as well.

And with guys like Winslow Jr. coming into the league it is going to happen even more. Now whether it is a good idea for FOF or not is another story. As cthomer pointed out it gives you a cheaper alternative to quality WR's and may create an unfair balance over the AI. However it certainly seems like it is becoming more common in the NFL.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 02:07 PM   #14
Suicane75
Coordinator

In my USFL/CFL league I started out with a between the tackles running game/short pass offense scheme. My first 3 years my leading WR's were my FB, RB and TE.
In my 4th year I drafted a solid recieving TE and I really wanna use him in this offense but it's nearly impossible to get both my TE's a decent amount of passes thrown their way. Im all for not getting an advantage but at the same time I shouldn't be penalized for wanting to expand my offense.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:13 PM   #15
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
In my USFL/CFL league I started out with a between the tackles running game/short pass offense scheme. My first 3 years my leading WR's were my FB, RB and TE.
In my 4th year I drafted a solid recieving TE and I really wanna use him in this offense but it's nearly impossible to get both my TE's a decent amount of passes thrown their way. Im all for not getting an advantage but at the same time I shouldn't be penalized for wanting to expand my offense.

It sounds like it would help if you set the % of your 2 TE formations much higher, ensuring that they are on the field a whole lot.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:25 PM   #16
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
It sounds like it would help if you set the % of your 2 TE formations much higher, ensuring that they are on the field a whole lot.

I did that, in every formation I set the 2 TE % higher than the standard formation but after 6 games my second TE still only had 10 passes thrown his way, I dont wanna set it so extremely high that it bastardizes the other sets.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:50 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I do think we should retain the feature to specify the 3rd down/passing/certain passing backs. I think you should be able to stick a FB in those slots.

I may be misremembering the options in the game plans but ...

I believe this would make it just as possible to use a FB as a HB in any situation.

1)Set your FB as, say, the 3rd down back
2)Set the 3rd down back as the primary RB in a formation

voila ... FB as HB.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 02:51 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
but it's nearly impossible to get both my TE's a decent amount of passes thrown their way.

Q1 -- What the route running skill of these TE's?
Q2 -- How does that compare with the route running skill of your WR's and/or RB's?
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:28 PM   #19
dunkem
Mascot

I got 50 catches out of my TE (Conwell). I use a lot of TE formations and Conwell has good route running. I think that most TE's don't get catches because the formation % is too high on the run and shoot formations with no TE. If your gameplan is set to too many long passes, it may limit TE catches too. A lot of different factors..... your playing time for your TE may be too low, his endurance may be too low, or your wide receivers may be great route runners which will limit the amount of times your TE gets targeted. Depending on your scout, your TE may be overexagerated.

My gameplans/formations are heavy on TE's, FB's and RB's so they get a good share of balls thrown to them. I haven't gotten Tony Gonzalez kind of numbers yet, but I do remember seeing one of the all-conference TE's getting somewhere near 85 catches.
dunkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:20 PM   #20
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrilogy

I love that idea for future implementation on the kickers' stat sheets.
It'd be just great to see how reliable this guy is (or is not) when the game is on the line, if you can trust him (ala Vinatieri) or not for botching game winning FGs.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:09 PM   #21
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Q1 -- What the route running skill of these TE's?
Q2 -- How does that compare with the route running skill of your WR's and/or RB's?

Good point, looking it over he may very well be the 5th option everytime he's on the field anyway so it probably isn't that great an idea for me to run that offense.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:22 PM   #22
General Mike
Pro Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
I'd say that Jim should remove that option in future versions. Mike Alstott is basically the only HB/FB hybrid back in the NFL.

Being a RU fan, and seeing what they did with Leonard this year after Hairston went down, should make you want this even more.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:04 PM   #23
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

In my league, L.J. Smith had close to 100 catches a year for 7 straight years. He had a 100 route running and my WR's didn't have high route running ratings.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:17 AM   #24
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
In my league, L.J. Smith had close to 100 catches a year for 7 straight years. He had a 100 route running and my WR's didn't have high route running ratings.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 08:50 AM   #25
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27

That's right baby... Rutgers.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:43 AM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yep, I'm a fan of Rutgers too as that is where I went to medical school (well it was called UMDNJ - Robert Wood Johnson Medical School since he donated a LOT of money to the school) but it is on the corner of Rutger's campus and had been known as Rutger's Medical School in the past I just hope he develops for the Eagles in real life like he seems to develop in my FOF2004 careers

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-15-2004 at 10:44 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 04:17 PM   #27
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrilogy

that's a very good idea...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 04:18 PM   #28
tucker342
Pro Starter

dola-

Obviously the game should have a clutch rating, but that should be hidden, but to help you firgure out who has good clutch, it should show how many times they've made the winning FG...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote