Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2004, 01:19 PM   #1
Suicane75
Coordinator

Is This True?

Just saw Micheal Moore on Charlie Rose and he said that On September 12th The Saudis were allowed to fly around the US and pick up members of Osama Bin Ladens family who were living here. I'll grant that i'm not the smartest guy and talk of politics usualy gives me a headache but I had never heard this before.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 01-15-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:23 PM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

hxxp://www.snopes.com/rumors/flight.htm

replace xx with tt

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-15-2004 at 01:23 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:23 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

Dude Where's My Country?

Last edited by korme : 01-15-2004 at 01:23 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I think I heard that it was true. Mainly it was his brothers and sisters that attend schools in the US, but really other than relation, have nothing to do with him. If I remember correctly, he and his family are at odds over the way they allow his brothers and sisters to be westernized.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:30 PM   #5
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I guess I stand corrected. It seems that they did move them from where they were, but they were spoken to before they were allowed to leave the country.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:32 PM   #6
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Question everything you hear from Michael Moore.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:33 PM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock

He's a pantload...
Old 01-15-2004, 01:34 PM   #8
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

Thats why I came here. As weird as that sounds, I feel like theres an expert on this board on enough subjects and generaly smart people that I can get a good concise answer on just about anything. That and I'm too lazy to look for myself.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:42 PM   #9
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Question everything he says (as you should with any source concerning this war), but also know that even if you hate Michael Moore, he's sometimes more correct than his detractors would care to admit.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:45 PM   #10
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
Question everything he says (as you should with any source concerning this war), but also know that even if you hate Michael Moore, he's sometimes more correct than his detractors would care to admit.

Sure, but he has a rare talent for exaggeration and embellishment, and a seeming disdain for fact checking.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:47 PM   #11
KevinNU7
College Starter

My guess is they let them go because they were afraid Americans would attack them because they were related to Osama. I'm pretty sure we know everything we need to know about his relatives in America and know if they are working against the US or not.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:50 PM   #12
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Sure, but he has a rare talent for exaggeration and embellishment, and a seeming disdain for fact checking.
Just like our President.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:51 PM   #13
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Thats why I came here. As weird as that sounds, I feel like theres an expert on this board on enough subjects and generaly smart people that I can get a good concise answer on just about anything. That and I'm too lazy to look for myself.

And you will also get multiple opinions.

As for Michael Moore, I assume everything he says is wrong unless I can confirm it myself. To this day, I am pissed that he fooled me with his "documentary" Bowling for Columbine. He will not fool me again.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:54 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just like our President.

Or many big name talk show hosts of the conservative persuasion? Each side has its blind zealots who don't check most of their facts. There's Moore on the left with Rush and O'Reilly on the right.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:59 PM   #15
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
And you will also get multiple opinions.

As for Michael Moore, I assume everything he says is wrong unless I can confirm it myself. To this day, I am pissed that he fooled me with his "documentary" Bowling for Columbine. He will not fool me again.

How were you fooled? My brother is a big fan of Michael Moore's and owns Bowling for Columbine. Just interested as I do not know much about him.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 02:01 PM   #16
Easy Mac

I'm not a fan of Moore, but I think he's hilarious.

I too think that Osama's relative would have been picked up and gotten out of here for their protection, and if it is true, I have absolutely no problem with it.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 02:06 PM   #17
John Galt
Pro Starter

I remember we had the discussion about Bowling for Columbine a while ago and a lot of allegations were made about falsehoods he propogated. Strangely, a lot of the allegations became "true" in the eyes of the mass media (like the staging of the gun purchase from the bank and the timing of Heston's speeches). Anyway, I recently was referred to Moore's reply. You don't have to believe everything he says, but after looking at this and doing some more factchecking, I think Moore was mostly improperly maligned in the whole affair. Anyway, here is Moore's reply:

hxxp://www.michaelmoore.com/words/wackoattacko/

Last edited by John Galt : 01-15-2004 at 02:09 PM.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 02:09 PM   #18
Buddy Grant
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
That and I'm too lazy to look for myself.
That description fits many (most?) of us here!
Buddy Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 02:16 PM   #19
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
How were you fooled? My brother is a big fan of Michael Moore's and owns Bowling for Columbine. Just interested as I do not know much about him.

Well, I thought it was a documentary. As a documentary, I thought it was based on fact. I walked out of the theater thinking it was a good, thought-provoking film. Then I found out that it is almost completely misrepresentation.

See:
hxxp://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

Replace hxxp with http above.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:34 PM   #20
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
I think Moore was mostly improperly maligned in the whole affair.

Sure, according to Moore. But, there is one eggregious lie in his response which you link - the scene in the bank was not the first contact Moore had with the bank. There exists a fax (actual documentation, rather than someone's self-serving claims) he sent them weeks in advance of shooting that scene with all of the information needed for the background check. He probably did fill out those forms while he was there, but them being used for the background check within 10 minutes is pure fiction - it had been completed before Moore walked in that day.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:36 PM   #21
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Sure, according to Moore. But, there is one eggregious lie in his response which you link - the scene in the bank was not the first contact Moore had with the bank. There exists a fax (actual documentation, rather than someone's self-serving claims) he sent them weeks in advance of shooting that scene with all of the information needed for the background check. He probably did fill out those forms while he was there, but them being used for the background check within 10 minutes is pure fiction - it had been completed before Moore walked in that day.

It's a movie, he's an entertainer. He makes money on this stuff...of course it's contrived...this is his schtick...
Old 01-15-2004, 02:38 PM   #22
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:

Moore's point in reply, however, is that the bank can and does issue guns the same day because they have authorization to do so. The fact that a movie contacted them beforehand so that there weren't any screwups (ie - what if Moore had a black mark on his record causing him to get rejected) is just smart, not deceptive. Moore had them do an initial check on his background, but the actual event wasn't staged.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:45 PM   #23
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The fact that a movie contacted them beforehand so that there weren't any screwups (ie - what if Moore had a black mark on his record causing him to get rejected) is just smart, not deceptive. Moore had them do an initial check on his background, but the actual event wasn't staged.

Then why not state that in the movie then.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:49 PM   #24
bbor
Pro Starter

Moore is a twat.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 03:04 PM   #25
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Whether or not the bank scene was staged, I don't have a real problem with. I don't doubt that there was a bank which gave away a rifle for opening an account. He certainly makes it look like they would instantly give a gun to anyone but I'm willing to let that slide. It's not a central deception. In fact, I don't think the web page I offered even mentions this.

I encourage you read Moore's reply to criticisms about Heston's Denver speech. Then read the link I provided. Then re-read Moore's reply. Even his reply is deceptive.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:21 PM   #26
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Afoci
Then why not state that in the movie then.

Because, obviously, it wouldn't have the same effect. A documentary can never be real time recording of events just like they would happen in real life. Checking ahead, getting the proper paperwork, and setting certain things up is an inevitability. If doing so distorts the events then you shouldn't do it, but I don't think Moore's checking ahead did anything to distort what would have happened otherwise. You can disagree, but as far as I know, the bank has never denied that they have issued guns on the same day because they are so authorized under federal law.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:37 PM   #27
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:

As do almost all of the political writers, Democrat and Republican....
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 03:42 PM   #28
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
It's a movie, he's an entertainer. He makes money on this stuff...of course it's contrived...this is his schtick...

Though he calls them 'documentries' when they belong in the comedy section.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 03:43 PM   #29
tucker342
Pro Starter

dola-

Michael Moore's source in his book Dude Where's My Country for that statement is:

6. Patrick E. Tyler, "Fearing harm, bin Laden kin fled from US," The New York Times, September 30, 2001.

Here's a link to the article: hxxp://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F60F14F63F590C738FDDA00894D9404482
(switch the xx to tt)

Take what you want from it....
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 03:44 PM   #30
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Because, obviously, it wouldn't have the same effect. A documentary can never be real time recording of events just like they would happen in real life. Checking ahead, getting the proper paperwork, and setting certain things up is an inevitability. If doing so distorts the events then you shouldn't do it, but I don't think Moore's checking ahead did anything to distort what would have happened otherwise. You can disagree, but as far as I know, the bank has never denied that they have issued guns on the same day because they are so authorized under federal law.

The effect would have been changed if he would have been denied. What he did was ensure he would be approved and then went and did it. That is not being truthful.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:50 PM   #31
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Will you ever be done sucking M. Moore's cock?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 08:57 PM   #32
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

It's always funny to me that by posting even the most slight defense of even a single issue relating to Michael Moore, folks think I'm waving the fanboy flag. Like how I specifically instruct folks to question everything he says in my post, and then I get the above post (which I took in jest, of course, but it did remind me that I needed to clarify things or the some amongst us might think otherwise).

Come to think of it, that's happening right now with Bucc calling me a "political extremist," when I'm much more of a political moderate. Guess everyone's got to jump to the nth power when commenting on a viewpoint they don't hold. *shurg*
Old 01-15-2004, 09:02 PM   #33
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's always funny to me that by posting even the most slight defense of even a single issue relating to Michael Moore, folks think I'm waving the fanboy flag. Like how I specifically instruct folks to question everything he says in my post, and then I get the above post (which I took in jest, of course, but it did remind me that I needed to clarify things or the some amongst us might think otherwise).

Come to think of it, that's happening right now with Bucc calling me a "political extremist," when I'm much more of a political moderate. Guess everyone's got to jump to the nth power when commenting on a viewpoint they don't hold. *shurg*

It is not really any of that NM. It is just that you hardly post here, but if there is a Michael Moore thread, it is guaranteed you will jump in and support what he has to say. I don't really give a crap about any political thread on this forum, but I just like to bust your pansy-ass liberal chops.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:11 PM   #34
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Ah. Well, in that case, please feel free to follow your own example and polish my personal knob.