Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2018, 10:32 PM   #13451
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If they could, they'd just make it illegal for some people to vote.

Quote:
No polling place exists in Dodge City, Kansas, a majority Hispanic city of 27,000. Voting takes place at just one location. Not only is it outside of town, it’s a mile walk from the nearest bus stop. To vote you have to get the hell out of Dodge.

Last edited by JPhillips : 10-19-2018 at 10:32 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #13452
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wtf, why does Trump always gotta be a stooge. Do the Saudis have piss tapes on him too?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:34 PM   #13453
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If they could, they'd just make it illegal for some people to vote.

Free Ubers to the polls
Old 10-19-2018, 11:13 PM   #13454
Edward64
Head Coach

Looks as if Mexico is taking Trump's threats seriously. The new policy seems to be reasonable vs before of just com'on through.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/19/ameri...der/index.html
Quote:
Mexican authorities haven't said whether anyone from the caravan will be permitted to travel to the US border.

They've previously outlined how they planned to respond to the group, stating:

• Anyone with a valid visa will be able to enter and move freely.
• Anyone who wants to be recognized as a refugee or as a beneficiary of "complementary protection measures" must do so individually. Those who do so will be held "at a migratory station" for up to 45 business days.
• Anyone who enters "in an irregular manner" will be "rescued and subject to an administrative procedure and, where appropriate, will be returned to their country of origin in a safe and orderly manner."

Mexican authorities also have said they're asking for help from the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees to process migrants seeking refugee status.

This appears to be a shift from previous policies, in which humanitarian or transit visas were issued, and migrants were given the option of continuing their journey north if they didn't want to seek asylum in Mexico.

This past spring, when another caravan of Central American migrants crossed into Mexico, such policies allowed that group to make it to the US border.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-19-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:11 AM   #13455
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
TBH if the economy and stock market continues to do well and Mueller investigation does not come up with the smoking gun (e.g. him personally involved in a significant way) I do think he gets re-elected.

Here's the place where I disagree; even with all of that, his approval ratings are still quite bad. With the economy doing as well as it is they should be in the 60s. The fact that they are where they are indicates something is dragging them down. Fundraising for the midterms is literally going harder for the Democrats than it ever has in modern American political history. There's almost always a bump to party that's out of power but every projection I see, the polling data, the special elections results all point to this being a historically big wave that way as well.

In other words, there just isn't any evidence that the plusses are enough. Trump has some things on his side with the incumbency and the economy, but what the data really supports is that as good as those things are his negatives are far outweighing them. It'll help him some when(assuming it happens) the Democrats take over the House again because then they'll need to govern in a disciplined manner(no sign of that happening that I can see) or take some blame for not doing it. Based on the data out there so far, the '20 Dem candidate doesn't need to be inspirational or transcendent. They just need to be the slightest bit better than Hillary and not do anything colossally stupid. That really should be an exceptionally low bar that most potential candidates can clear.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:10 AM   #13456
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Here's the place where I disagree; even with all of that, his approval ratings are still quite bad. With the economy doing as well as it is they should be in the 60s. The fact that they are where they are indicates something is dragging them down. Fundraising for the midterms is literally going harder for the Democrats than it ever has in modern American political history. There's almost always a bump to party that's out of power but every projection I see, the polling data, the special elections results all point to this being a historically big wave that way as well.

In other words, there just isn't any evidence that the plusses are enough. Trump has some things on his side with the incumbency and the economy, but what the data really supports is that as good as those things are his negatives are far outweighing them. It'll help him some when(assuming it happens) the Democrats take over the House again because then they'll need to govern in a disciplined manner(no sign of that happening that I can see) or take some blame for not doing it. Based on the data out there so far, the '20 Dem candidate doesn't need to be inspirational or transcendent. They just need to be the slightest bit better than Hillary and not do anything colossally stupid. That really should be an exceptionally low bar that most potential candidates can clear.

Obviously anecdotal here... but I am a Libertarian voter for the past 10+ years that will be voting McCaskill for Missouri Senate just because of Trump's handling of his presidency. Not sure what I will do for president in 2020 I guess it depends who they go with...

Decent candidate: Democrat
No better than Trump: Libertarian
Sanders: Trump
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #13457
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Oh and here is probably an example of how not to campaign for Senate. So a guy comes door to door last weekend stumping for the local Democrat for State Senate and McCaskill for US Senate. Instead of just sending him on his way I give my "panerd 2 cents" on the 2016 election and how I will probably vote McCaskill in this election because of how bad Trump sucks. Fast forward to a few days ago and I get a text from "The guy you talked to on your porch asking if I have been keeping up with the latest in Saudi Arabia etc"

1) I didn't give him my phone number and I thought since I don't have a home phone that my cell number was in no way linked to my street address. Power of the machine I guess?

2) Who in the world (even most ardent Dem or Repub supporter) wants text messages from some stranger?

3) Very tinfoil hatish but almost seems like it would be a good Republican strategy to bug people via text posing as Democrats to piss them off. Again who wants texts from a stranger about anything?

My own fault for talking I guess but don't know who would greenlight texting people who didn't ask to be texted.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #13458
molson
General Manager

It's so bizarre to me that door to door campaigning and phone banking are things in 2018, but I guess they must work if people do them.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #13459
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's so bizarre to me that door to door campaigning and phone banking are things in 2018, but I guess they must work if people do them.

Personal contact is supposed to be the best way to get people to vote.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #13460
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Obviously anecdotal here... but I am a Libertarian voter for the past 10+ years that will be voting McCaskill for Missouri Senate just because of Trump's handling of his presidency. Not sure what I will do for president in 2020 I guess it depends who they go with...

Decent candidate: Democrat
No better than Trump: Libertarian
Sanders: Trump

That's pretty much me as well. I've voted for Coffman, the Republican in Colorado's 6th every time before this year. I like him, think he's a good rep. Still voting for the Democrat this year though as Trump needs some kind of check.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #13461
BYU 14
Coordinator

Same. I have always voted across party lines as I look for moderate candidates and overall I am probably in the neighborhood of 55/45 republican. Straight Dem this mid term, which will be first time ever I have voted one party across the board in an election.

I just really want to see some checks and balances amidst the chaos and in all honesty, with the Dems in control of at least one branch, I can envision some more republicans finally standing up to Trump when he crosses the line or spews one of his lies or baseless rants.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #13462
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Same. I have always voted across party lines as I look for moderate candidates and overall I am probably in the neighborhood of 55/45 republican. Straight Dem this mid term, which will be first time ever I have voted one party across the board in an election.

I just really want to see some checks and balances amidst the chaos and in all honesty, with the Dems in control of at least one branch, I can envision some more republicans finally standing up to Trump when he crosses the line or spews one of his lies or baseless rants.

I'll always vote the Idaho Republican AG, I know what he's all about and he backs it up, and I'll vote for incumbent competent unoffensive Republicans who only have a token non-qualified Dem challenger (which happens sometimes in Idaho statewide races). So that means I'm about a 90% Dem voter now. And Idaho is definitely becoming a little more liberal every year, at least in the Boise metro area and pockets like Sun Valley and and Moscow - which together make up about half the state's population. I won't vote for the Trump party anymore unless there's a specific compelling reason too.

Last edited by molson : 10-20-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #13463
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

My only fear is the Democrats (and Republicans I guess also) misunderstand a lot of the no Trump votes and try to initiate some "mandate" and lead to Trump being reelected for 4 more years in 2020.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #13464
Atocep
Coordinator

As Brian Swartz touched on, Trump has a lot going for him right now with the economy. Usually a president in an economy like this would be incredibly popular. Instead Trump is sitting with an approval rating around 40. He's a recession away from seeing a complete collapse in support and the likelihood of a recession before the 2020 election is probably somewhere in the ballpark of 60%.

I just don't see him being reelected outside of some major unforeseen event that swings his approval ratings up into the mid 50s. I think turnout in 2020 is going to be like nothing we've ever seen and Trump's most lasting impact will be as a boogeyman to scare people into voting.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #13465
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Oh and here is probably an example of how not to campaign for Senate. So a guy comes door to door last weekend stumping for the local Democrat for State Senate and McCaskill for US Senate. Instead of just sending him on his way I give my "panerd 2 cents" on the 2016 election and how I will probably vote McCaskill in this election because of how bad Trump sucks. Fast forward to a few days ago and I get a text from "The guy you talked to on your porch asking if I have been keeping up with the latest in Saudi Arabia etc"

1) I didn't give him my phone number and I thought since I don't have a home phone that my cell number was in no way linked to my street address. Power of the machine I guess?

2) Who in the world (even most ardent Dem or Repub supporter) wants text messages from some stranger?

3) Very tinfoil hatish but almost seems like it would be a good Republican strategy to bug people via text posing as Democrats to piss them off. Again who wants texts from a stranger about anything?

My own fault for talking I guess but don't know who would greenlight texting people who didn't ask to be texted.

Re: 1) Both parties have voter lists for things like door knocks and phone banks. He was probably working off a list when he came to your door and then followed up with you.

Re: 2) He shouldn't have done that outside of a formal text campaign by the candidate, but most campaigns and non-profits are finding texting to be 4-5x more effective than door knocking, e-mailing or phone calling.

Re: 3) see above.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #13466
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

My wife and I both got postcards from volunteers for a state assembly race. I knew campaigns were doing this, but I didn't realize they were targeting state races as well as national.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #13467
Edward64
Head Coach

Beats me if Russia has really violated the treaty but suspect the main target is China and continuing to keep up/maintain/extend lead vs China.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/20/polit...sia/index.html
Quote:
"And I don't know why President Obama didn't negotiate or pull out. And we're not going to let them violate a nuclear agreement and go out and do weapons and we're not allowed to," he said. "We're the ones that have stayed in the agreement and we've honored the agreement.

"But Russia has not, unfortunately, honored the agreement. So we're going to terminate the agreement. We're gonna pull out," he said of the agreement, which was signed in December 1987 by former President Ronald Reagan and former USSR President Mikhail Gorbachecv.

The Trump Administration has said repeatedly that Russia has violated the treaty.

Administration officials believe the treaty has put the US at a disadvantage because China does not face any constraints on developing intermediate-range nuclear missiles in the Pacific and does not allow the US to develop new weapons.

National Security Adviser John Bolton is expected to discuss the treaty with Russian officials on his trip next week.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:25 PM   #13468
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm always worried we might not have enough nukes.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:59 PM   #13469
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
China is pouring billions into Africa right now. Infrastructure, manpower, and I have to think, that they believe they can use Africa as a massive manpower repository for when their own workers start to leave and join the middle class. It may not pay off. I've read that the value per dollar spent is horrible, because of the grift and lack of centralized infrastructure. However, if they stick with it for another 20 years, it may pay off in the long run.

I was browsing SEA news and read about the US Build Act. Don't know all the details but its a good start to counter/duplicate what China is doing.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1MD2HJ
Quote:
The Senate passed the Better Utilization of Investments Leading to Development (BUILD) Act as part of a bill to reauthorize the Federal Aviation Administration, which passed by 93 to 6. The entire package, which had already been approved by the House of Representatives, will now be sent to President Donald Trump, who is expected to sign it into law.

The measure creates a new agency, the U.S. International Development Finance Corp, that consolidates the Overseas Private Investment Corp (OPIC) and other government development organizations.

Those institutions lend money for projects such as energy, ports and water infrastructure in developing countries.
:
Backers of the bill argued that OPIC needed to be modernized and U.S. lending in general made more efficient to keep up with China’s increasing investment throughout the world.

U.S. officials have worried that countries have been falling victim to what they call China’s “debt trap” diplomacy, giving up control of major assets such as ports or roadways when they fund infrastructure projects with Chinese loans that they cannot pay back.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:12 AM   #13470
Edward64
Head Coach

Happening more and more with GOP folks.

I appreciate the instant gratification doing something like this but am against it. Not because I don't think they deserve it (some do, not sure about McConnell tbh) but because of the precedence.

I can easily see how many Dems will be harassed over a meal when they eventually come to power, and it can easily expand past dinner shaming to other personal-in-public activities. Things can easily get escalated and really get ugly.

If I was McConnell and like, without bodyguards or secret service protection, I would be carrying.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/20/polit...ors/index.html
Quote:
Washington (CNN)Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was confronted at a restaurant in Kentucky on Friday, according to CNN affiliate WLKY.

According to WLKY, McConnell, a Republican representing Kentucky, was dining at Havana Rumba in Louisville, Kentucky, with his wife, Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao, when a group of men approached the couple.

"Why don't you get out of here? Why don't you leave the entire country?" one of the men yelled at McConnell, WLKY reported.

McConnell's office did not immediately return CNN's request for comment, but McConnell's press secretary Stephanie Penn told WLKY that, "The leader and Secretary Chao enjoyed their meal in Louisville last night and they appreciate those who spoke up against incivility. They hope other patrons weren't too inconvenienced by left-wing tantrums. As the leader often says, the Senate will not be intimidated by the antics of far-left protesters."
WLKY also reported that McConnell's to-go box was tossed out the door of the restaurant.

"We deeply regret the incident that took place at our restaurant this weekend," the restaurant said in a statement to WLKY. "We strongly believe everyone should feel welcome and safe in our restaurants. It was Friday night in the middle of the rush and our staff was caught off guard as the incident developed quickly. Once we were aware of the situation we acted quickly and efficiently to assure that everyone was safe."

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-21-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #13471
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's fucking stupid, but when the president is up there talking about how assault is the cool thing to do and how you get respect is there any other message that says that it's not the right thing to do?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #13472
AlexB
Pro Starter

Yeah, in an ideal world people would rise above, and it is definitely something that shouldn't happen.

But at same time it's not surprising - Trump has set the tone, what did he expect? Hopefully things settle down, but unfortunately I have my doubts tbh
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #13473
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Yeah, in an ideal world people would rise above, and it is definitely something that shouldn't happen.

But at same time it's not surprising - Trump has set the tone, what did he expect? Hopefully things settle down, but unfortunately I have my doubts tbh

Based off the Republican political add I just saw during the early football game it's only going to get worse, that was seriously the most ludicrous thing I have ever seen.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #13474
molson
General Manager

I'm guessing celebrity politicians were more protected in decades past. Maybe we had an odd era of political civility in the 70s, 80s and 90s, but I'm sure there were plenty of famous politicians who would have been harassed if they ventured to unfriendly places.

Last edited by molson : 10-21-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #13475
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wagner in PA did a Facebook live stream where he told our Gov to put on a catcher's mask cause he was going to step on his face with golf spikes on

Last edited by stevew : 10-21-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #13476
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Wagner in PA did a Facebook live stream where he told our Gov to put on a catcher's mask cause he was going to step on his face with golf spikes on

The number of wanna-be Trumps over the next few election cycles is going to painful to watch.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #13477
Thomkal
Head Coach

So the murder of the Saudi journalist just gets worse and worse. Cut off his hands, injected him with something, put him on a meeting table, and dismembered him.

Meanwhile the attempts of the Saudis to cover up what happened gets worse and worse-video out showing a member of the security team who participated in the murder arriving at the consulate and then coming out after it was over, dressed in the journalist clothes and fake beard. He then wandered through a park and a restaurant until the video showed he changed clothes, and then threw something in a dumpster afterwards.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #13478
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The number of wanna-be Trumps over the next few election cycles is going to painful to watch.

The fat geriatrics acting like tough guys is pure cringe.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #13479
QuikSand
lolzcat

Do we really think that this is going to be the thing that changes the overwhelming trend of "nothing matters" here? A non-American, who has neither white skin nor an American-sounding name, murdered by another country, happening somewhere else, and the worry is that our POTUS isn't reacting with the right amount of outrage?

Really... this is going to be the thing that tips people? Makes them wake up from the spell they've been under, or gets them to come out and actually vote? Really?

Just doesn't pass the smell test, and he knows it. People don't care, at least not for long. He'll whimper about a mirage tax cut, or talk about gays, or some other half dozen things on the days leading up to the midterms, and this will be gone for all intents and purposes.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #13480
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

Quote:
Personal contact is supposed to be the best way to get people to vote.

Yeah, I just recently read about a study that said just that. Personal contact and texting gets much better results. They did say, though, it takes a more long term approach, with canvassers working the same area over a longer period of time than the average campaign can do/afford. It was very interesting study, and my guess will lead to more money spent on community organizers and professional canvassers that will be hired out to candidates.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:25 AM   #13481
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Do we really think that this is going to be the thing that changes the overwhelming trend of "nothing matters" here? A non-American, who has neither white skin nor an American-sounding name, murdered by another country, happening somewhere else, and the worry is that our POTUS isn't reacting with the right amount of outrage?

Really... this is going to be the thing that tips people? Makes them wake up from the spell they've been under, or gets them to come out and actually vote? Really?

Just doesn't pass the smell test, and he knows it. People don't care, at least not for long. He'll whimper about a mirage tax cut, or talk about gays, or some other half dozen things on the days leading up to the midterms, and this will be gone for all intents and purposes.

I dunno, this one has legs. Familial tax fraud schemes died in about 3 days. This is going on 16 days or something
Old 10-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #13482
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is familiar to people - it's basically the weekly subject of a 48 Hours/Dateline NBC/20-20 episode, or 98% of Investigation Discovery or Oxygen channel programming.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #13483
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

Quoting to be able to repost for the next this.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #13484
PilotMan
Head Coach

Hey, you know who else was a nationalist?

For context:

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-a-nationalist

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 10-23-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #13485
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I dunno, this one has legs. Familial tax fraud schemes died in about 3 days. This is going on 16 days or something

Tax fraud is hard stuff. I mean he's probably smart for doing it because it's so hard, so that's good, right? Good for them for beating the system. It's always trying to keep the man down. And yeah, who really cares about a guy who doesn't look like a real american. Clearly, he wasn't smart enough.

Like Steam?

Old 10-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #13486
Edward64
Head Coach

I guess Mexico wasn't able to stop the caravan. It'll keep on happening so the US better get a coherent, coordinated policy in place.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/23/over...chterm=caravan
Quote:
The caravan's numbers have continued to grow as they walk and hitch rides through hot and humid weather, and the United Nations estimated that it currently comprises some 7,200 people, "many of whom intend to continue the march north."

However, they were still at least 1,140 miles (1,830 kilometers) from the nearest border crossing — McAllen, Texas — and the length of their journey could more than double if they go to Tijuana-San Diego, the destination of another caravan earlier this year. That one shrank significantly as it moved through Mexico, and only a tiny fraction — about 200 of the 1,200 in the group — reached the California border.
:
A team of AP journalists traveling with the caravan for more than a week has spoken with Hondurans, Guatemalans and Salvadorans, but has not met any Middle Easterners, who Trump suggested were "mixed in" with the Central American migrants.
:
The migrants, many of them with blistered and bandaged feet, left the southern city of Tapachula in the early afternoon Monday under a burning sun bound for Huixtla, about 25 miles (40 kilometers) away.

In interviews along the journey, migrants have said they are fleeing widespread violence, poverty and corruption. The caravan is unlike previous mass migrations for its unprecedented large numbers and because it largely sprang up spontaneously through word of mouth.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #13487
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I guess Mexico wasn't able to stop the caravan. It'll keep on happening so the US better get a coherent, coordinated policy in place.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/23/over...chterm=caravan

Is this really a big threat to the US right now? I get that it's dominating the R stump speeches, but is this as big of a threat as, oh, not vaccinating your kids? Flu shots?

Like Steam?

Old 10-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #13488
Edward64
Head Coach

Heard snippets of Trump talking about a middle class tax cut. Not enough details to really discuss the pros & cons but something to watch out for to see if it develops.

Trump is like Santa Claus right now, promising/handing out free candy.

Trump's mystery tax cut puzzles Washington - POLITICO
Quote:
Call it the mystery middle class tax cut.

In recent days President Donald Trump has twice promised a new “major tax cut” ahead of the November midterm elections, mystifying White House officials, congressional leaders, and tax wonks around town who mostly have no idea what he’s talking about.

The pledge — which Trump repeated Monday afternoon — came as news to House and Senate lawmakers, who’ve already returned to their home states to campaign for the elections and have no plans to consider new legislation before then.

White House officials spent the day trying to decode what Trump meant because no one knew the substance of any such tax cut, or had seen any policy proposal related to it. Aides were left wondering what Trump had read in newspaper clippings, or seen on Twitter, to inspire this grand promise from his rally podium.
:
The GOP is already scrambling to avoid criticism for the ballooning debt and deficit under Trump’s watch. The president’s own Treasury Department reported last week that the deficit hit $779 billion in the 2018 fiscal year, the highest level since 2012, following the GOP tax cut bill and a massive spending increase in Congress. Jason Furman, who served as chair of the Council of Economic Advisers under President Barack Obama suggested a 10 percent middle class tax cut would cost roughly $2 trillion over ten years."
:
One potential clue to Trump’s thinking: Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) released a tax proposal aimed at the middle class late last week. Some Republicans close to the White House speculated that Trump is trying to one-up his potential 2020 presidential rival.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #13489
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Deficit wasn't ridiculous enough already, let's completely blow it up.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #13490
RainMaker
General Manager

It sounds like he just made it up on the fly. I wouldn't read much into it. He's been lying pretty hard lately and is maybe nervous about how the midterms will go.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #13491
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Is this really a big threat to the US right now? I get that it's dominating the R stump speeches, but is this as big of a threat as, oh, not vaccinating your kids? Flu shots?

Assuming there are no terrorists in the bunch (hah!), taken in isolation, probably not a "big threat".

But long term, if the US welcomes this group of 3,000-7,000 economic refugees, you don't think there will be many more that will come encouraged with the success of this group? And then the question is how many is too many.

IMO, its a valid question on how the US wants to deal with these caravans e.g. holistic immigration reform (all for expanding the guest worker program), the wall, unauthorized/illegal immigration etc.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-23-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #13492
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It sounds like he just made it up on the fly. I wouldn't read much into it. He's been lying pretty hard lately and is maybe nervous about how the midterms will go.

Probably, but its nice to dream.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #13493
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Assuming there are no terrorists in the bunch (hah!), taken in isolation, probably not a "big threat".

But long term, if the US welcomes this group of 3,000-7,000 economic refugees, you don't think there will be many more that will come encouraged with the success of this group? And then the question is how many is too many.

IMO, its a valid question on how the US wants to deal with these caravans e.g. holistic immigration reform (all for expanding the guest worker program), the wall, unauthorized/illegal immigration etc.

The US has always "dealt" with it. trump is acting like there's never been any policy in place for them. Like every president before just opened the gates and said welcome home. That's not an accurate representation at all.

Like Steam?

Old 10-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #13494
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Why would a terrorist march for 1200 miles when they could just as easily start much closer to the border?

Only 10-15%, at most, will reach the border and they will all get turned away. It's a bullshit story, but for some reason the media runs after whatever frisbee Trump throws out there.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #13495
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm genuinely surprised at how the Right has gone full post-modern.

Quote:
On whether there are middle easterners in caravan, I asked: "there's no proof?" Trump responded: "There's no proof of anything"
Old 10-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #13496
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
The US has always "dealt" with it. trump is acting like there's never been any policy in place for them. Like every president before just opened the gates and said welcome home. That's not an accurate representation at all.

And they continue coming haphazardly so whatever plans we have may have tactically dealt with a particular caravan/event but does it address the broader picture?

It would be good if we came up with a holistic immigration reform plan. I had hopes but Trump's immigration reform plan seems to be just keep the undesirables (his definition) out and threaten to kick out the unauthorized.

It would be good to come up with a plan to address the southern brown people and also the yellow, black, other brown people, and definitely the highly educated all-color people.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-23-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:29 PM   #13497
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Why would a terrorist march for 1200 miles when they could just as easily start much closer to the border?

Only 10-15%, at most, will reach the border and they will all get turned away. It's a bullshit story, but for some reason the media runs after whatever frisbee Trump throws out there.

This. The last "dangerous" caravan ended up being a couple hundred people who applied for asylum and were rejected or accepted accordingly. This is just appealing to the baser instincts of, well, his base.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #13498
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

All they have to do is come in on a student visa like the 9/11 hijackers.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #13499
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And they continue coming haphazardly so whatever plans we have may have tactically dealt with a particular caravan/event but does it address the broader picture?

It would be good if we came up with a holistic immigration reform plan. I had hopes but Trump's immigration reform plan seems to be just keep the undesirables (his definition) out and threaten to kick out the unauthorized.

It would be good to come up with a plan to address the southern brown people and also the yellow, black, other brown people, and definitely the highly educated all-color people.

If only Trump and the Republicans had enough people in place to outvote the Dems for all the brilliant plans they no doubt have for every pressing and non-pressing issue. Things will change after this elections! Down with Mexicans!!!!

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-23-2018 at 06:13 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:14 PM   #13500
CarterNMA
Mascot

I can think of two Scottish "terrorists" who would walk 500 miles. And then 500 more. Just to fall down at the Border Control Point door.
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote