Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
cyril
Mascot

"Draft Day" the movie discussion "SPOILER ALERT"

I did not see a thread so I will start one. Watched the movie yesterday. I admit I am biased, since the movie subject is about what we all enjoy so much here in the league.

What I enjoyed:
1. the authentic atmosphere, real stadiums, real commish, real broadcasting guys. They even got Arian Foster in a secondary role. They got the immersion factor right.
2. The plot showed the inner workings of a NFL team. I don't know how authentic they are but at least they serve my curiosity.
3. the wheeling and dealing among GMs. It's like seeing myself (in the league 4 times a year) being dramatized. Actually quite fun watching those.
4. The movie climax, as unbelievable as it is, actually got me rooting for Costner. I wish I could pull off deals like that.

What I didn't enjoy:
1. One particular plot: Costner spending the #1 on the OLB did not make sense. He was confident before he could get that OLB at 7, the movie even explained that if the OLB did not get picked at that spot, he would likely drop to the teens. Then how could the GM (as erratic as the movie tried to portray him as) spend his newly overpaid #1 on him? Any sane GM would try to trade out at that time if he suddenly realized the QB is not worth it. This plot decision would have been more convincing if the movie showed he actually tried to trade out and for numerous reasons, no team would buy it at that point and he got stuck. But no. No such scene and that bone-headed move was a big negative for me.

2. Jennifer Garner's character was forced and was added for box-office reason IMO. A distraction that did not add much to the movie.

3. Shallow supporting characters: the head coach, the owner. Wasted potentials I think. The movie could be so much better if the HC and the owner were more developed than the one-sided dumb wits they were portrayed as.

I actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit, despite those irrational and forced plot-lines that I would have sneered at should they appear in another movie. As I said I am biased, throw a starving dog a rotting bone and he would still savor it. That's me here.

Overall, it's pretty far from being on par with "Moneyball" but still better than "The Blind Side" (the movie I mean, I actually enjoyed the book) IMO.

What do you think?

cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:22 AM   #2
Landshark44
High School Varsity

three 2nd rounders for pick 1-6 ruined it for me.......

and then seattle, who gives up pick 1-1 for three 1sts....

trade back the three firsts to get pick 1-6

c'mon man
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There was some(limited) discussion on it in page 32 or 33 of the NFL offseason thread. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, warts and all, when it's on HBO. Most Costner movies involving sports are good that way. Finally caught up with "For the Love Of the Game" a few months ago and that was really good and I wish I would have seen it before it had been out for like 10 years.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

To your 1st didn't enjoy point: He was the BROWNS gm.
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote