Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #1
wustin
College Prospect

Military stages coup in Myanmar

Links to some articles from AP

Key events in Myanmar, long under military rule

Why is the military taking control in Myanmar?

Military stages coup in Myanmar

wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #2
wustin
College Prospect

dola

gonna quote something very damning that could've happened to the US last month

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Associated Press
— Jan. 29, 2021: Myanmar’s election commission rejects the military’s allegations of fraud in the elections, finding no evidence to support the claims.

— Feb. 1, 2021: Myanmar military takes control of the country for one year, citing the government’s failure to act against its claims of voter fraud and refusal to postpone the November elections because of the coronavirus crisis. Her party says Suu Kyi is again placed under house arrest.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #3
molson
General Manager

Ya, it's fascinating how close it was to the Trump playbook except for the control of the military part.

Though, the default for decades there was direct military control. The civilian government never really became firmly established. I guess it always kind of felt like the military was going to "permit" the civilian government to exist for a time, but there was a limit to how much power it was ever going to be willing to cede.

Last edited by molson : 02-01-2021 at 11:15 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:21 AM   #4
Edward64
Head Coach

Suu Kyi continues to have great support from the population. Even though her stance on Rohingyas is unpopular on the world stage, the populace supports it.

If I was China, I would swoop in, stabilize it, put in my own leadership friendly to me (like Hu Sen in Cambodia). Access to land for Chinese to build up, some natural resources, more ports, apply more pressure on Thailand etc.

China doesn't seem to care about world pressure, condemnation etc. One more step to dominating Asia and putting India on notice.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:32 AM   #5
wustin
College Prospect

I believe China already has been buying up oil and other resources from Myanmar.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:41 AM   #6
molson
General Manager

I'm trying to figure out how Reddit will cash in on this.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
Thomkal
Head Coach

My first thought when I heard about the coup was "Man this could have been us in the US"-I hope international pressure will force the military to step down and put its rightful leader back in charge
Old 02-01-2021, 12:25 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
If I was China, I would swoop in, stabilize it, put in my own leadership friendly to me (like Hu Sen in Cambodia). Access to land for Chinese to build up, some natural resources, more ports, apply more pressure on Thailand etc.

China doesn't seem to care about world pressure, condemnation etc. One more step to dominating Asia and putting India on notice.

I am not nearly as well versed in international politics as I should be. But this sounds just like China's MO. However, it feels more like a Russia-style destabilization to get them to that point.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:54 PM   #9
molson
General Manager

This woman was doing her aerobics class as the coup kicked off right behind her.

Myanmar Girl Doing Aerobics Unaware of Coup, Military Convoy Reaching Parliament Can Be Seen Behind - YouTube

I'm patiently waiting for Reddit to edit this so she's dancing in front of various other historical events.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:33 PM   #10
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
This woman was doing her aerobics class as the coup kicked off right behind her.

Myanmar Girl Doing Aerobics Unaware of Coup, Military Convoy Reaching Parliament Can Be Seen Behind - YouTube

I'm patiently waiting for Reddit to edit this so she's dancing in front of various other historical events.

That's hilarious (and like her spirit).
Old 02-01-2021, 05:56 PM   #11
PilotMan
Head Coach

Amazing

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:53 PM   #12
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

How long is a year in Myanmar?
Old 02-01-2021, 07:04 PM   #13
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
How long is a year in Myanmar?

Probably after some key civilians have disappeared.

Ironically, the well intended world criticism of Rohingya persecution may have encouraged the coup.

Quote:
Frontier Myanmar, a current affairs magazine based in Yangon, said the fact that Min Aung Hlaing is “one of most wanted men on the planet” due to his role in the atrocities committed against the Rohingya also contributed to the general’s anxiety about his future. “Appointing a loyalist to replace him as commander-in-chief would have helped, but that seemingly was not enough to assuage his concerns,” it said in a commentary.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-01-2021 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:20 PM   #14
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I am not nearly as well versed in international politics as I should be. But this sounds just like China's MO. However, it feels more like a Russia-style destabilization to get them to that point.

I know talk is cheap and this is unlikely, but this is probably as good of a foreign policy softball as Biden will get for US & allies to apply the big stick/threats and get the military to back down.

Find the military top brass a nice asylum in the Riviera (or where ever filthy rich dictators go nowadays) or threaten we'll send Rambo (IV) back in there to take them out.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:26 PM   #15
wustin
College Prospect

There's already a list of politicians, celebrities, and media people who have been detained by the military.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:13 AM   #16
Edward64
Head Coach

3+ weeks on and civilians are still demonstrating. No idea where this will end up.

Doesn't look as if Biden wants to get involved beyond words. Can't blame him, not a lot of strategic interest here and he's got much bigger distractions. I would like to visit Myanmar one of these days because it's a country that hasn't been as westernized as many others in Asia.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #17
Flasch186
Coordinator

best place to watch live streams of foreign countries and rolling events like this?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:14 PM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I heard you can watch them live on yoga videos

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:39 PM   #19
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I heard you can watch them live on yoga videos

Had to think for a second and then chuckled.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:42 AM   #20
Flasch186
Coordinator

but for real now, where can I watch the events unfold while not exercising?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:22 AM   #21
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
but for real now, where can I watch the events unfold while not exercising?

I think the BBC might cover them better than here in the US, but I don't have a specific site otherwise.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:58 PM   #22
Edward64
Head Coach

There was an escalation in protest deaths today. Still no flippin idea how this will turn out.

I still don't think this will happen as there is very little US strategic interest but I wish Biden would take a more forceful tone and show the "big stick", get the military out and Aung San Suu Kyi back in.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:45 AM   #23
Edward64
Head Coach

About 550 dead in 2 months since coup. Surprised it took so long to cut off internet.

I wish I could say Myanmar was strategic enough where we would put our (and coalition's) troops in harm way and restore democracy ... but it isn't. I would love to visit Myanmar someday.

https://apnews.com/article/myanmar-c...b8f8135f382a01
Quote:
Myanmar’s wireless broadband internet services were shut down on Friday by order of the military, local providers said, as protesters continued to defy the threat of lethal violence to oppose the junta’s takeover.
:
:
The coup reversed years of slow progress toward democracy in Myanmar, which for five decades languished under strict military rule that led to international isolation and sanctions. As the generals loosened their grip, culminating in Aung San Suu Kyi’s rise to leadership in 2015 elections, the international community responded by lifting most sanctions and pouring investment into the country.