Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-10-2021, 09:17 AM   #701
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Im on 2 drugs for anxiety. Are they working? Dont know, I just started taking the 2nd. I am hoping the doctor prescribes marijuana, but they wont. That is the best anxiety reliever for me besides alcohol. Hard to some across weed, so I drink on top of the meds they are giving me.

Stupid, I know, but the problems go away fro a night. And that is okay by me. Im 53 and diabetic and know my time is limited. 20 years? maybe. 15? okay. Just let me make it through.

Are you in a medical MJ state? I'd think you could just go find a different doctor that.... does that sort of thing.

How close to Illinois are you?

Otherwise grow your own!
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:24 AM   #702
lungs
Pro Rookie

Dola:

My mind was playing some awful tricks on me Friday-Sunday. Boss e-mailed last week that he wants us to come in for employee reviews on Monday. Then on Fridays, he puts our next week's workload up and under my name there was nothing but a project I was 100% caught up on.

Being that this was my yearly review coming up, and I was originally brought on to this company with zero experience in the field with the purpose of getting this certain project out of the weeds and that project was winding down, my brain was telling me that having nothing to do next week when my review was set up for Monday was an ominous sign.

Well, it wasn't. I got a raise, the biggest bonus I've had thus far, and encouragement to get a few certifications that will bring bigger raises in the future.

Edit: Oh, and the reason there was no work under my name is because boss was doing some cross-training with our drone pilots so they can do a better job out in the field and I should use this week to study to get my drone pilot's license.

Last edited by lungs : 02-10-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #703
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Are you in a medical MJ state? I'd think you could just go find a different doctor that.... does that sort of thing.

How close to Illinois are you?

Otherwise grow your own!

I am in Medical state. Just need to find a doctor that will give me a green card. I prefer a natural solution.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #704
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Dola:

My mind was playing some awful tricks on me Friday-Sunday. Boss e-mailed last week that he wants us to come in for employee reviews on Monday. Then on Fridays, he puts our next week's workload up and under my name there was nothing but a project I was 100% caught up on.

Being that this was my yearly review coming up, and I was originally brought on to this company with zero experience in the field with the purpose of getting this certain project out of the weeds and that project was winding down, my brain was telling me that having nothing to do next week when my review was set up for Monday was an ominous sign.

Well, it wasn't. I got a raise, the biggest bonus I've had thus far, and encouragement to get a few certifications that will bring bigger raises in the future.

Edit: Oh, and the reason there was no work under my name is because boss was doing some cross-training with our drone pilots so they can do a better job out in the field and I should use this week to study to get my drone pilot's license.

Nice. I would love to read your autobiography. Dairy farmer to Hemp farmer to drone pilot.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 02-10-2021 at 10:00 AM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #705
PilotMan
Head Coach

Hey! I'm a drone pilot! I've built and fly racing drones and I have my Commercial license. But I guess that's less impressive since I do piloty stuff anyway. Lol

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:18 AM   #706
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Nice. I would love to read your autobiography. Dairy farmer to Hemp farmer to drone pilot.

Other than the aforementioned illogical thoughts of getting canned, this new gig has been great for my mental health. Physical health maybe not so much as I sat on my ass all day for the most part. But being in a good spot mentally has allowed me to work on the physical part the past few months.

And I do still collect residual income from hemp. Just glad I’m not trying to make a living off of it!
Old 02-10-2021, 10:22 AM   #707
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Hey! I'm a drone pilot! I've built and fly racing drones and I have my Commercial license. But I guess that's less impressive since I do piloty stuff anyway. Lol

Hah. I was going to say something about trying to be FOFC’s #2 pilot. I’d be using drones to inspect installations on cell phone towers. We used to send climbers up those towers. Drones are saving a ton of time and insurance money.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:20 PM   #708
Edward64
Head Coach

I remember wanting to be a pilot when I was younger. I travel extensively (pre-Covid) but could never get used to the turbulence with the dips and bumps.

At one time, I fantasized about being Tom Cruise in Top Gun (I wish they would release Top Gun 2 already).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:40 PM   #709
JPhillips
General Manager

Some of you know this from Facebook, but Mom passed away last night and it's been a rough day. She was ready to go and she passed peacefully, but even when you know it's coming it's not easy.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:49 PM   #710
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Some of you know this from Facebook, but Mom passed away last night and it's been a rough day. She was ready to go and she passed peacefully, but even when you know it's coming it's not easy.

Oh man. So, so, very sorry. My thoughts are with you.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:06 PM   #711
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Sorry for your loss, Jphillips.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:47 PM   #712
rjolley
College Starter

Sorry for your loss, JPhillips.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:04 PM   #713
Edward64
Head Coach

Condolences.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:11 PM   #714
miami_fan
Coordinator

Sorry for your loss, JPhillips. May you and your family find peace in this tough time.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:25 PM   #715
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm sorry, JPhillips

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:28 PM   #716
bhlloy
Coordinator

Sorry for your loss, man.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:54 PM   #717
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Thank you for sharing. Can't improve on what the others have said; I wish your whole family grace and peace.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:58 PM   #718
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm sorry for your loss JPhillips. May all those touched by this find peace with it as swiftly as possible.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:03 PM   #719
Kodos
Resident Alien

I’m sorry for your loss, JPhillips. Losing your Mom is a tough one. My condolences to you and your family.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:11 PM   #720
JPhillips
General Manager

We're doing a small service for the family, but we're working on a summer memorial service for my mom, who was a church organist for 50+ years, and the other members of her church that have passed over the last year. We really like the idea of honoring them individually and also collectively as members of their church community.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:08 AM   #721
BYU 14
Coordinator

Almost as popular as pet Bots
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:07 AM   #722
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Minor thing (so far) but I'm gonna stick it in here anyway.

I am NOT equipped to deal with my 91 y/o mother-in-law's hypochondria indefinitely. I'm managing it so far but at some point it may take a minor miracle for me to avoid snapping.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #723
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, might as well dola.

Just had a startling realization: when I stopped at a local hot dog joint and ate inside tonight, it was the first time in 28 days that I'd eaten outside my house. Have had a few pick up meals but the last time I sat down somewhere to eat was the night before Will headed back to Miami.

If you've paid attention over the years, you may have picked up on the fact that we rarely eat at home (and even then it's probably 70% drivethru orders if we eat here).

Doing that math, after a day that started before 6a and included a missing cat (found safely after 4.5 hours of growing panic) AND that aforementioned m-in-law doctor trip (seems to be fine, mostly anxiety driven symptoms & complaints), I much better understood why I REALLY wanted to dine in just about any ol' place tonight.

My comment to my regular counter guy tells the tale "I just really wanted something that felt normal"
Old 02-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #724
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
My comment to my regular counter guy tells the tale "I just really wanted something that felt normal"

Same here.

We've not eaten inside once since coronavirus hit. We did eat outside of a burger joint last year when the weather was still nice. Wife and I are talking about doing more eat-outside when the weather gets better.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:53 PM   #725
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Same here.

We've not eaten inside once since coronavirus hit. We did eat outside of a burger joint last year when the weather was still nice. Wife and I are talking about doing more eat-outside when the weather gets better.

Until the in-house health situation here, we were pretty much back to normal dining pattern. Everything in the adjacent county to Athens is pretty much open (and I saw literally overflow crowds at 5 different sit down places in both counties this evening).

And then our own personal hellride started :/
Old 02-19-2021, 08:11 PM   #726
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Minor thing (so far) but I'm gonna stick it in here anyway.

I am NOT equipped to deal with my 91 y/o mother-in-law's hypochondria indefinitely. I'm managing it so far but at some point it may take a minor miracle for me to avoid snapping.

You have my greatest sympathy. Dealing with a hypochondriac on a daily basis is incredible frustrating and exhausting.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:32 PM   #727
JPhillips
General Manager

Lots of driving over the past three days and yesterday was the funeral for Mom. It ended up being a lovely day, especially compared to the snowy mess on Monday. The minister used Matthew 22 37-39 in a lovely tribute to Mom's service to her church and her community. The graveside service was not at the grave due to the mud and the threat of collapse. Feeling the warm sun on my back was nice, though.

As a kid, I mostly grumbled about Mom being an almost ever-present fixture at school and community events. It was only much later that I understood she was serving the community in the way that she could, through her ability to play the piano and organ, and that she was showing me how to serve as much as Dad did as he ran organizations and fundraisers.

She hasn't been able to be herself for a couple of years, and that was a tragedy, but she's at peace now. Take care and God bless, Mom.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #728
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Sorry for your loss JPhillips. It doesn't matter how prepared you or they are, it's never easy.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #729
Kodos
Resident Alien

You never realize how much your parents did for you until you become a parent yourself. May your Mom rest in peace.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-24-2021 at 05:38 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:58 AM   #730
AlexB
Pro Starter

Was having a ropy afternoon, feel much better after listening to one of my favourite songs for the first time in a while - it has an uplifting effect for me despite the title

AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #731
BYU 14
Coordinator

That's a great song
Old 02-28-2021, 10:01 PM   #732
Edward64
Head Coach

I need to plan for a post-coronavirus goal.

Told my wife we should make plans to visit Galaxy's Edge this Christmas. I have to believe this pandemic will be largely under control by then.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:21 AM   #733
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Told my wife we should make plans to visit Galaxy's Edge this Christmas. I have to believe this pandemic will be largely under control by then.

A few months ago, my wife observed that was one of the hardest things about the pandemic: no goals, nothing to look forward to because everything was on hold.

SI

Old 03-01-2021, 09:25 AM   #734
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
A few months ago, my wife observed that was one of the hardest things about the pandemic: no goals, nothing to look forward to because everything was on hold.

SI

I had a moment last night like none I have ever experienced in my life of sheer hopelessness that relates directly to this. We are always so busy and always travel 2-3 times a year and usually have everything planned by now and right now absolutely nothing.

It wasn't as bad before because the first 2-3 months of Covid I was actually enjoying the 'down time' and then I got some normalcy through coaching when Football started even though our season got shut down after only a single game, it was still 6 weeks of routine with camp. Started to get bad for me during the holidays when we had to adapt quite a bit due to spikes and finally came to a head I guess.

I was in a bad place for a couple of hours and I will just leave it at that. This morning getting back to setting up things to look forward too was my first priority. Booked a trip to San Diego for late summer and will be doing a getaway next week up to Sedona. It is crazy how much that has picked me up.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #735
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I was in a sizable funk that started about Friday myself.

I wonder ... given that at least parts of the country are experiencing springlike weather, is it making us more aware that there's hardly anywhere to go / anything to do / anything to look forward to? The whole coming-out-of-hibernation instinct being conflicted with the stark reality?
Old 03-01-2021, 10:22 AM   #736
BYU 14
Coordinator

Great point Jon and I think that is definitely a mitigating factor.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #737
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I will say that myself and, especially, my wife were much more affected by the ice storm a couple of weeks ago than we would have been pre-pandemic.

It wasn't that dissimilar a feeling than Harvey back in 2017. It was a slow moving disaster with increasing risk the longer the event went on where there was a significant risk of flooding (from burst pipes in this case), water damage and mold mitigation, and having to live elsewhere (with my parents, at a hotel?) long term. Only, it was almost more concerning during the pandemic, even though the event wasn't as bad.

However, the difference just like everything during the pandemic is that you just have fewer resources outside of the home. We've both been extremely fortunate with work letting us work from home and it has very much been our sanctuary these past months. It was frightening to lose that. We've been homeschooling our son, doing pickup for everything, almost never going inside buildings (still exercising outdoor but distancing is easy there), and trying very hard to minimize our exposure outside the home. Our thought process is that others can't do that as easily so our part is to be the ones not getting other sick. So the idea of living in a hotel, shared public spaces and ventilation, and having to get food much more often is really unappealing right now. We can choose to not go into stores or restaurants right now (but still shop there- just in different ways). You can't do that if you're in a different living circumstance. It would completely change the new normal of how we've done things for the last year and not for the better.

SI

Old 03-01-2021, 11:58 AM   #738
rjolley
College Starter

We had to cancel our vacation plans for last year up to this summer. Had a Disney cruise and a train trip to Chicago planned, among other things. After some discussion, we decided to get a travel trailer. That would allow us to go to some of the nearby RV parks and get away for a bit. With 5 of us, flying places is too expensive.

Since my wife and I are from east of the Mississippi, there's a lot out here that we haven't seen before. It should be exciting. We do have some security concerns, but we'll do what we can to mitigate those.

I am looking forward to it just to see some different scenery. We haven't been out much, so taking a drive and hanging out even a couple of hours away will be great.

Last edited by rjolley : 03-01-2021 at 11:59 AM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #739
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So for the doctors or medical proffessionals on FOFC:

I've been told by my mother that my 66 year old dad is is going to have a "heart cath" performed on him to check out a heart murmur.

How much or how little should I be worried?
Old 03-07-2021, 03:48 PM   #740
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The cath is a simple process, minimal concern. My MIL had a heart transplant several years ago and gets them often.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #741
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The cath is a simple process, minimal concern. My MIL had a heart transplant several years ago and gets them often.

Pretty much ditto around me, minus the transplant. Mother-in-law had one at 91 last year with no complications, my dad has had one in the past year or so, I've lost count of how many relatives I know that have had them.

Nothing is absolutely 100% safe of course but, these days, heart caths are so common that they've had a LOT of practice doing them.

Often an out-patient procedure these days, seems to depend on whether they go through the wrist or the groin, and then it's just a matter of how early in the day you get one. Early enough, you're in your own bed same day.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-07-2021 at 03:56 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:28 PM   #742
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I guess I'm overly concerned because my Dad's dad died of a heart attack when he was 68. So any heart condition alarms me.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:17 PM   #743
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, now that I've gotten my first shot, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and feeling better.

I know I may be in the 5% that may still catch it after vaccination but I know it won't be as severe.

Good to be in the US, UK & Israel right now. Sucks to be in some EU countries.

(Also sucks to be in developing countries where their only feasible option in the near term is the Chinese vaccine)
Old 03-22-2021, 09:04 AM   #744
JPhillips
General Manager

I feel like I understand this thread much better now. Thanks for the insight, David.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #745
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Other than the aforementioned illogical thoughts of getting canned, this new gig has been great for my mental health. Physical health maybe not so much as I sat on my ass all day for the most part. But being in a good spot mentally has allowed me to work on the physical part the past few months.

And I do still collect residual income from hemp. Just glad I’m not trying to make a living off of it!

I have illogical thoughts about getting fired, too. It's exhausting.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #746
PilotMan
Head Coach

Doing pretty good lately, but today, while I am in a hotel in Chicago, the Mrs went to get her last weekly venom therapy shot (it's been 12 weeks of this) and she's having a bad reaction. She was having a hard time breathing and coughing. She got 2 EpiPen injections and then they called an ambulance and took her to a hospital. She says her vitals are ok, but they are being cautious as the breathing and coughing issues keep returning. I don't know what to do. I could run home, but there's almost nothing I can do. The boys are old enough to help take care of her, but no matter, I can't get there.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:22 PM   #747
Edward64
Head Coach

Wife got her second Moderna shot today. No biggie so far, just a little sore.

Bought on of those plastic name things to protect her "vaccine passport". She's on Spring Break, so she should be fully vaccinated when she goes back to school next week.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:21 AM   #748
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, had a massive panic attack at 3:30 am this morning (in the recent remodeling of my brother's house, he put in an air circulation system that is RIGHT over my bed in my room, and I started shivering, from that point it was, as the kids say these days, on like Donkey Kong.

Took all my meds (including a double pain killer mix of acetaminophin and tramadol when the hip started acting up), and my hands were shaking so hard that I couldn't open the container. The hip was at about a 6 on the pain scale, but the pain level has dropped, but I can't sleep, as when I raised my adjustable headrest to take my meds, it somehow knocked the plug out, so I have to wait for my brother to wake up to fix.

Other than that, my morning is going peachy fine fucking keen.

Can you tell I'm still on edge? (no fever thankfully)
Old 04-08-2021, 07:11 AM   #749
pantera
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So for the doctors or medical proffessionals on FOFC:

I've been told by my mother that my 66 year old dad is is going to have a "heart cath" performed on him to check out a heart murmur.

How much or how little should I be worried?
I know that I'm late to answer (I just joined) but I had a murmer & heart cath. Also valve surgery. Doing fine and I'm younger than your dad. Feel free to ask me any questions.
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:01 AM   #750
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
So, had a massive panic attack at 3:30 am this morning (in the recent remodeling of my brother's house, he put in an air circulation system that is RIGHT over my bed in my room, and I started shivering, from that point it was, as the kids say these days, on like Donkey Kong.

Took all my meds (including a double pain killer mix of acetaminophin and tramadol when the hip started acting up), and my hands were shaking so hard that I couldn't open the container. The hip was at about a 6 on the pain scale, but the pain level has dropped, but I can't sleep, as when I raised my adjustable headrest to take my meds, it somehow knocked the plug out, so I have to wait for my brother to wake up to fix.

Other than that, my morning is going peachy fine fucking keen.

Can you tell I'm still on edge? (no fever thankfully)

That sounds shitty. I hope things get better for you soon, Foz.