Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2005, 12:57 PM   #1
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Maximum Football???

Leaving aside the fact that this game has been advertised forever, anyone still looking to buy this game? Should be out in the next month or so. Would have been out already from what I understand, but when Matrix Games picked it up as the distributor they wanted the career thing added and so the delay resulted.

One of the posters over on that board really hit what I think. You would think that great as the text-sims may be, would it really be that hard to add even some rudimentary graphics to the game? Not even 3d, just something to add movement and a sense of 'being there' while it unfolds. Can't believe this far into game developement and its either all or nothing. Madden or FOFC (good as the latter may be.)

Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
Riggins44
High School JV

I imagine I'll give it a looksie when it ever comes out. Wonder if it will beat Time Killer 2.0 (aka QB Challenge) to market?
Riggins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
AgustusM
College Prospect

Forgive my pessimism, but this thing has been on eminent release for about two years now.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:26 PM   #4
FBPro
College Starter

I'll probably check it out IF it ever comes out.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:39 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

Teaseware.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
One of the posters over on that board really hit what I think. You would think that great as the text-sims may be, would it really be that hard to add even some rudimentary graphics to the game? Not even 3d, just something to add movement and a sense of 'being there' while it unfolds. Can't believe this far into game developement and its either all or nothing. Madden or FOFC (good as the latter may be.)

To do that, you'd either need several people working on the game, or give up pretty much any other advancements in the rest of the game for the version that added the graphics (assuming we're talking about a new version of an existing game.) The latter is a big risk; you'd be gambling the ongoing viability of your game on a new and unproven feature, rather than improving and polishing things that you already know work. As for the former, I don't think any company making these games outside of SI (and EA, I suppose) has the resources to have development teams with several full-time employees.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:51 PM   #7
biological warrior
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM
Forgive my pessimism, but this thing has been on eminent release for about two years now.
More like 3-4. I remember talks about this in 2001, when I was a senor in high school. When is the ''scheduled'' release as of right now?
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:01 PM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by biological warrior
When is the ''scheduled'' release as of right now?

Interestingly enough, on their web site, there is *still* a thread posted with details of their expected relase date, and linking there you will see the disappointment that ensued when they announced that the game was, alas, not going to b available until Superbowl weekend. That would have been last year's Superbowl, by the way, and the thread was from November or so of 2004.

There are other, more recent items in other places on their board, but that one is still the eye-grabber, still front and center. Talk about leading with your chin...
Old 12-30-2005, 02:19 PM   #9
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Reading the current website over at Matrixgames, I'm still pretty pumped about this game. Release should be any day now, I think reconfiguring everything for career play caused an unavoidable delay, and looks like its going to hit the ground running with plenty of leagues/teams/uniforms/past and present already made and waiting for it.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:22 PM   #10
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I was excited about this game, but Black Ice Hockey has fulfilled all of my sports gaming needs for the next several years, so I won't need to buy Maximum Football. Sorry.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:25 PM   #11
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I was excited about this game, but Black Ice Hockey has fulfilled all of my sports gaming needs for the next several years, so I won't need to buy Maximum Football. Sorry.

Why do I think that when this game finally does come out, you'll have your copy inside of the first week?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:26 PM   #12
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Obviously because you've finally realized Pumpy knows the secret to immortality, and will thusly still be alive in 2514 when the game is finally released.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:28 PM   #13
thrym
Mascot

Quote:
Reading the current website over at Matrixgames... Release should be any day now...

Pardon my disbelief, but this game has been at the "Should be released any day now" stage for about 2 years. EveryTIME there is something more to add or tweek or a bug to squash...

A new question is forming in me brain...is anyone here a part of the Beta test team? Hummmm.

Anyway, I'll believe its NOT 'vapor-ware' when it's actually released and reviews surface...until then...
Old 12-30-2005, 02:31 PM   #14
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Why do I think that when this game finally does come out, you'll have your copy inside of the first week?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:32 PM   #15
thrym
Mascot

Quote:

Ahhh, Black Ice Hockey...the memories...like my first prostate exam, only without the Vaseline!
Old 12-30-2005, 02:33 PM   #16
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

You folks remind me of Lions fans. As long as they stay angry they show they care. When apathy hits, then the real trouble for them begins.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:34 PM   #17
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrym
Ahhh, Black Ice Hockey...the memories...like my first prostate exam, only without the Vaseline!

Indeed.

Hey, I'm just judging by your location, but are you Scottie Pippen?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:38 PM   #18
thrym
Mascot

Quote:
Indeed.

Hey, I'm just judging by your location, but are you Scottie Pippen?

No, not Scottie...I played BBall with him a few times at the local rec (McGee) center. That's my brush with greatness...
Old 12-30-2005, 02:45 PM   #19
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels, on November 19, 2004
Don't know if many here are following this, but Maximum Football is all set and ready to go, Matrix Games is distributing it. Look under General and then Done Deal.http://maxfb.iphost.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels, on December 30, 2005
Reading the current website over at Matrixgames, I'm still pretty pumped about this game. Release should be any day now...

Forgive me if I don’t wet myself on your say-so, Bubs.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:48 PM   #20
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I belive him. I think I heard a psychic on "Coast to Coast AM" mention that it was going to be ready soon
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:50 PM   #21
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Forgive me if I don’t wet myself on your say-so, Bubs.

Well, if they hadn't delayed due to implementing the career play I would better see your point. My point is, despite all the setbacks, ect, there is still nothing like this game out there and hasn't been since the FB Pro series. So the fact that it is coming out makes all the difference in the world to me.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:52 PM   #22
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
I belive him. I think I heard a psychic on "Coast to Coast AM" mention that it was going to be ready soon

Nah, that was the Jon Stewart Show, where all the credible people go on!
Old 12-30-2005, 02:53 PM   #23
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Well, if they hadn't delayed due to implementing the career play I would better see your point. My point is, despite all the setbacks, ect, there is still nothing like this game out there and hasn't been since the FB Pro series. So the fact that it is coming out makes all the difference in the world to me.
Bubba, what makes you believe that it is really coming out this time? When I was young, my daddy often said to me, "Son, when a dog bites a man once, that's the dog's fault, but when that SAME dog bites that SAME man again, that's the man's fault."
Old 12-30-2005, 02:58 PM   #24
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Bubba, what makes you believe that it is really coming out this time? When I was young, my daddy often said to me, "Son, when a dog bites a man once, that's the dog's fault, but when that SAME dog bites that SAME man again, that's the man's fault."

Only because 1. Matrix Games hasn't pulled the plug on it, and they would have more to lose by promoting vaporware than David Winters would.

2. Beta-testers are answering questions in the forums even at this date.

3. David Winters himself is still answering questions, so even he knows that despite the delay this thing is going to be huge when it hits.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:53 PM   #25
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

I for one plan on getting this game just to try out the CFL. I have been following it's progress(or lack of if you will) since it's inception. If I can wait for 5 or so years whats the problem waiting 1 or 2 months more? Preferably it will come out June 30 since I get 2 months vacation at that time
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 04:54 PM   #26
Ben E Lou

RE: Update - 10/5/2005 12:15:56 AM
Title95
Matrix Trooper

Okay, let's try it this way. Is there a chance the game will be released before Halloween?

(in reply to Title95)
Report | Post #: 109
RE: Update - 10/5/2005 1:15:20 AM
AxnXcamr
Matrix Recruit

Please god say yes

FOOTBALL 4tw!!!

(in reply to Title95)
Report | Post #: 110
RE: Update - 10/5/2005 2:03:09 AM
Title95
Matrix Trooper

AxnXcamr,

I agree unreservedly. I have had all I can stand of Madden 2005 and 2006.

(in reply to AxnXcamr)
Report | Post #: 111
RE: Update - 10/5/2005 3:51:12 AM
David Winter
Matrix Hero

I posted a new build for the testers on Sunday night. Lets see what happens with that.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:56 PM   #27
Ben E Lou

Aha! MAybe THIS is why Bubba thinks release is imminent:

RE: Update - 10/12/2005 2:08:39 PM
Erik Rutins
Administrator

The information that has already been posted on the release date (before the end of the year, once beta testing is complete) is the best we can provide right now. No more detailed info will be forthcoming at this time, sorry. When we have a more precise estimate, we'll post here. Beta testing and fixes are an iterative process that is not as easily predicted as some may think, particularly at this scale of development.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development and Business Relations
Old 12-30-2005, 04:58 PM   #28
Ben E Lou

But then...

Update - 8/18/2005 5:29:13 PM
David Winter
Matrix Hero

Everyone.

I'm going to be gone for nearly a month starting on Saturday. I won't be back until the second week of September.

I'm going to be in Orlando on business. A few weeks ago I started a new job that takes me between Vancouver and Orlando a lot. Then I am getting married and going away for a couple of weeks.

I'm going to be providing a build to Matrix (and all testers) on Saturday (Aug 20). This I hope to make the GM based on any remaining Matrix feed back. Once we're okay on the GM we have some promotional artwork and packaging to finalize.

Thanks
David Winter

That's must be some SERIOUS artwork and packaging.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #29
Ben E Lou

Oh...and just to clarify...

RE: Update - 8/18/2005 6:39:32 PM
Tullius
Matrix Veteran

Sorry, but what is "GM" ?

(in reply to David Winter)
Report | Post #: 2
RE: Update - 8/18/2005 7:27:02 PM
David Winter
Matrix Hero

Oh.. sorry.. GM = Gold Master. Basically it's software design babble meaning "the release build".

Old 12-30-2005, 05:01 PM   #30
Ben E Lou

Good night. This is the opposite of it-will-be-released-when-it-is-ready:

RE: Release? - 6/7/2005 2:09:52 PM
Erik Rutins
Administrator

To answer the original poster, it's definitely coming and we're aiming for a Summer release. Can't be more specific at this time.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Old 12-30-2005, 05:03 PM   #31
Ben E Lou

Don't shoot the messenger.

RE: Release? - 12/20/2005 1:29:01 PM
Erik Rutins
Administrator

Wow, this thread was raised from the grave... a quick update for you all. We appear to be very close to a release candidate. We need more testing on the latest build from David, but progress in the last two months has been very good and we're optimistic about a release in the near future.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Old 12-30-2005, 05:13 PM   #32
digamma
Torchbearer

I think that board may be the closest thing we see to the FOFC purgatory board we all desire.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:20 PM   #33
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Some bright guys over there...

Quote:
If I recall, Sierra was also going to make a Baseball Pro and Basketball Pro game similar to Football Pro 99 before the divison shot down. It would have been interesting too see what those games would have been like.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:54 PM   #34
FBPro
College Starter

I saw that as well and wondered what planet he'd been on.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:33 PM   #35
Rizon
Pro Starter

I'm going to buy a copy when the game is released in 2007.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:41 PM   #36
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Honestly, it's to the point where i think SkyDog should start banning anyone that mentions this game before it's actually available for purchase.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:43 PM   #37
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

what this means is it's crap. They can't release it because it's crap.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:52 PM   #38
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Still say this is the best chance we get at the game most of us want. What else is there even remotely down the pike? Division Rivals?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:33 PM   #39
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Still say this is the best chance we get at the game most of us want. What else is there even remotely down the pike? Division Rivals?

Do you seriously not get it? Regardless of what this game promises to be, its vision has been pimped out for years with absolutely no public results. Obviously, there's a test team out there who's been playing SOMETHING, but what does that do for the rest of us? Most of us have absolutely no reason to believe that the release of this game is imminent. We have heard it all before. This game is no longer news. When it is actually released, THEN it is news.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:41 PM   #40
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Do you seriously not get it? Regardless of what this game promises to be, its vision has been pimped out for years with absolutely no public results. Obviously, there's a test team out there who's been playing SOMETHING, but what does that do for the rest of us? Most of us have absolutely no reason to believe that the release of this game is imminent. We have heard it all before. This game is no longer news. When it is actually released, THEN it is news.

Bah Humbug to you to. I'm already designing my leagues in my head. Throw-back leagues, future leagues, restructured leagues, college leagues. This game will be out shortly, before the super bowl at the latest.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:44 PM   #41
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
This game will be out shortly, before the super bowl at the latest.

As long as we keep having a Super Bowl every year, you can't be proven wrong. Smartest contribution so far.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:47 PM   #42
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
I'm already designing my leagues in my head.

And this is quite likely the only place they will ever exist.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:53 PM   #43
Zippo
High School JV

Quote:
Bah Humbug to you to. I'm already designing my leagues in my head. Throw-back leagues, future leagues, restructured leagues, college leagues. This game will be out shortly, before the super bowl at the latest.
somebody should start a betting pool for this.
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:54 PM   #44
Galaril
Pro Starter

You know what I think this thread needs is an appearance by Derek Smart to tell us about the inner workings of the Gaming software development industry.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:37 PM   #45
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
As long as we keep having a Super Bowl every year, you can't be proven wrong. Smartest contribution so far.

Nice.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:41 PM   #46
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

When you consider the odds of the NFL having a full season strike are higher then this game being released, it's not such a smart contribution
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:48 PM   #47
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I just pre-ordered!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:18 AM   #48
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
I just pre-ordered!

For 2010.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:30 AM   #49
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm already designing my leagues in my head. Throw-back leagues, future leagues, restructured leagues, college leagues. This game will be out shortly, before the super bowl at the latest.

I can design a million leagues in my head too, but, if the game plays like ass, it won't make a difference.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:49 AM   #50
BradS
n00b

LOL funny as hell thread, ppl still believe this is coming out soon. You should go to the Combat Leader board there. Same deal, been in development for over 4 years now. Until recently the developers decided they did not like the direction the game is going and development halts. What a joke.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote