Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-03-2006, 09:34 PM   #201
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Well FWIW, I did some searching over at the Matrix Games forums and saw that someone quoted David saying this (in Jan '05):

Quote:
... players now age and retire. Number of seasons played, and injuries are currently the only items that are taken into account for "retirements". Age effects the physical SA's of players (SPD, STR, etc...)

To begin a new season you'll be asked to do the following in the order of.

- Create New Season (schedule generated, players retire, new ones added to FA listing). Once you have started playing the season you can't add or remove teams.

- Complete league draft.

- Run Training Camp to hone player skills.

- Teams must be at league required roster sizes before playing a league game.

- Injured players are listed on the team roster, but not counted toward the active roster.

- Quick play games have no impact whatsoever on any of this and the only thing it checks for is the correct active roster size.

There are a couple of other things too but I'm in the process of working all that out.

A good chunk of this is already working and that's really all I have the time to do. I can't give any more details until the game is released as things are subject to change.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #202
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Dola..

It's entirely possible that the box art caused an item or three to be abandoned off that list.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:05 PM   #203
ahbrady
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
Maximum-Football is going to be the flagship in a line of sports titles for the PC. All bearing the Maximum mark. In the next year you will see Maximum-Hockey and Maximum-Lacrosse. In the distant future I hope to also have Maximum-Baseball.

So we can expect Maximum-Baseball by early next century. I can't wait.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:33 PM   #204
IwasHere
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahbrady
So we can expect Maximum-Baseball by early next century. I can't wait.
I thought that was the release date of the demo?
IwasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:39 PM   #205
JPhillips
General Manager

Actually there will be no demo.

Without box art what's the point?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:26 AM   #206
sabotai
General Manager

Hahaha.

The guy actually claimed that his project was 8 times as complex as Jim's or Alrie's because his has a play editor and 3D graphics, even though he readily acknowledges his game has an almost complete lack of any team management AI (plus no college drafts, free agent signing period, contract negotioations, and who knows what else).

Oh, but you can have as many teams in your league as you want. Well there you go...much more complex.

Last edited by sabotai : 02-04-2006 at 12:26 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:30 AM   #207
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Hahaha.

The guy actually claimed that his project was 8 times as complex as Jim's or Alrie's because his has a play editor and 3D graphics, even though he readily acknowledges his game has an almost complete lack of any team management AI (plus no college drafts, free agent signing period, contract negotioations, and who knows what else).

Oh, but you can have as many teams in your league as you want. Well there you go...much more complex.

Where did he make that claim? I want to read it and laugh
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:34 AM   #208
sabotai
General Manager

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm...mpage=1&key=&#
Old 02-04-2006, 12:37 AM   #209
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Thanks. Just finished reading that thread. Now, I'm even more resolute not to be the guinea pig.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:57 AM   #210
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man, if ever there was a reason for Warez, this would be it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:22 AM   #211
Izulde
Head Coach

This game is going to be so unbelievably bad it'll make playing Barbie games thrilling.

Here's to hoping Division Rivals comes through with a demo sometime in the next couple years. They at least have an idea of wtf a multi-tiered leagues game should be like.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:43 AM   #212
Bee
Pro Starter

So basically, from what I can gather...this is taking a game that's 11 years old, updating the graphics to circa 1999, adding flexibility to rules/league customization and reducing what little career mode ability the original game had?

Anyone want to guess how well this game's going to sell?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:17 AM   #213
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
So basically, from what I can gather...this is taking a game that's 11 years old, updating the graphics to circa 1999, adding flexibility to rules/league customization and reducing what little career mode ability the original game had?

Anyone want to guess how well this game's going to sell?

But imagine how many people have a GF2 or better card! The game can be played on modded out typewriters in North Korea.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #214
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winter
I really do not care what other independent guys do. I really don't. They are not building this game. They have their games with a few spread sheets and some dialog boxes. Big whoop. I did that in 1990.

Ouch. Got me there. I was still in school in 1990.

I think he's forgetting my 3-D instant replay function from TCY, though.

This guy is a real trip. Can't wait to see how he reacts to the first few bug reports.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #215
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Can't wait to see how he reacts to the first few bug reports.
What bugs? It has been in beta for two years now, hasn't it? There won't be bugs, right?
Old 02-04-2006, 10:22 AM   #216
timmynausea
College Starter

I think he meant that he first announced that this game would be finished in 1990, which is also when people stopped saying "Big Whoop".
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:28 AM   #217
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winter
I really do not care what other independent guys do. I really don't. They are not building this game. They have their games with a few spread sheets and some dialog boxes. Big whoop. I did that in 1990.

That must have been the basis for maximum football - back in 1990 the feature list he has would have been something to look at. He probably did all the AI stuff with the spreadsheets and dialog boxes then and spent the last 16 years working on the 3D engine, manual, box art and adding a revolutionary aging process - imagine making players get a year older after a season! If only some of us independent guys could do that. We need to stop wasting our time with trading, drafting, recruiting and financial AI and do more important things like making sure you can have 9 chances for your lego people to make a first down.

Last edited by Gary Gorski : 02-04-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Gary Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:28 AM   #218
digamma
Torchbearer

So he's touting that his game works very similarly to games released 10-11 years ago?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #219
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
So he's touting that his game works very similarly to games released 10-11 years ago?

Are you suggesting that if I loaded up Front Page Sports '95 that I'd have a working demo of the product?
Old 02-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #220
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Are you suggesting that if I loaded up Front Page Sports '95 that I'd have a working demo of the product?

Playing FPS95 to evaluate Maximum Football would probably more like playing last year's version of Madden to evaluate this year's version, but yeah something like that.

Last edited by Bee : 02-04-2006 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #221
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
We need to stop wasting our time with trading, drafting, recruiting and financial AI and do more important things like making sure you can have 9 chances for your lego people to make a first down.

Gary, my game plan dialog boxes only have room for four downs' worth of choices when it comes to game planning. To go to nine downs would require a completely different dialog box.

I'm afraid I just don't have the flexibility to do that. It would take me at least a year to add that kind of flexibility option.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #222
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lego sports football rulez!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #223
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
The weather system has been updated. Snow and rain effect uniforms as can be seen in the last screen shot. Players hitting the ground have their uniforms effected. No effect on game play, but I think it looks better.

Apparently the new weather system makes all players wear snowboarding boots.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #224
Tigercat
College Starter

The grounds crew did a terrific job of seperating the snow perfectly away from the field lines. Such a good job that both teams can only stand and look at the field in awe.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #225
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This is a top 5 thread of all time. Especially when you combine it with the thread from the other board.

Also, I think that David Winter is just one of our regulars in disguise messing with us. No one can be THAT clueless.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #226
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Winters reports on site that final has been given to Matrix for distribution. Video killed the radio star. Bad graphics are still graphics.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #227
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Bad graphics are still graphics.
It is time to restore the QOTM.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #228
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
This is a top 5 thread of all time. Especially when you combine it with the thread from the other board.

Also, I think that David Winter is just one of our regulars in disguise messing with us. No one can be THAT clueless.

Since he's from Canada, my guess is it's FrogMan.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:15 PM   #229
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
The grounds crew did a terrific job of seperating the snow perfectly away from the field lines. Such a good job that both teams can only stand and look at the field in awe.

I know I wouldn't want to walk on that pristine snow any more than these players. With those giant feet, the footprints might mark even the dry grass.

It does make me feel warm inside to know that his engine is flexible enough to allow for players with giant feet. As someone who wears a size 13 shoe myself, I'm tired of archaic games like Madden that only cater to those in the 10-12 range.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #230
digamma
Torchbearer

My heart does a little flutter when I click on "General Discussion" and see that Bubba has the last reply in this thread.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #231
Desmond
Banned

Yall are just being mean at this point. You poo poo'd on the idea that the game would ever be released for so long instead of posting this stuff over there then. Now that the game, who's features and lack thereof have been known all along, is close to release all you're doing is piling on. It doesn't sound like David is much more than a guy who has spent a long time trying to make a game he wanted to make, it may suck, but really, why do you have to be so vicious at this point?

And yeah, I know i'm gonna get flamed. And I also find alot of it amusing, but lets try and not be bullies.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #232
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond
Yall are just being mean at this point. You poo poo'd on the idea that the game would ever be released for so long instead of posting this stuff over there then. Now that the game, who's features and lack thereof have been known all along, is close to release all you're doing is piling on. It doesn't sound like David is much more than a guy who has spent a long time trying to make a game he wanted to make, it may suck, but really, why do you have to be so vicious at this point?

And yeah, I know i'm gonna get flamed. And I also find alot of it amusing, but lets try and not be bullies.

Fair enough. I've got a couple of questions for you though.

a) Are you going to buy the game

and most important

b) HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY THE GAME? (sorry for the caps, but I seriously want to know what audience this game is going to cater to). How is this game going to be better than anything else out there? You can coach in Madden. You can coach in Action PC! or FBPRO. Am I missing something here?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:32 PM   #233
Ben E Lou

Quote:
who's features and lack thereof have been known all along
Wrong. I dismissed this game a long time ago because of lack of career play. Only recently did I become aware that career play was being added, but since it had taken so long, I never checked the feature list. I recently did, and I was stunned.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:38 PM   #234
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Wrong. I dismissed this game a long time ago because of lack of career play. Only recently did I become aware that career play was being added, but since it had taken so long, I never checked the feature list. I recently did, and I was stunned.

Same for me. I also dismissed it because I didn't think it was ever coming out. I still don't know if it will, but since it appears there's a chance this game may actually be released, I started looking into the career play. Boggles the mind that what's being released is being called "career play".
Old 02-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #235
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Boggles the mind that what's being released is being called "career play".
Yup.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #236
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Somebody HAS to buy this, just so they can report on the hilarity.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #237
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Somebody HAS to buy this, just so they can report on the hilarity.
It may not be horrible at what it does. The issue is what it doesn't do.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #238
Desmond
Banned

Quote:

Fair enough. But you decided not to pay attention to it. At this point all you're doing is kicking a dead horse.

I realize that all you're doing is trying to get him to realize his game could have alot more mass appeal but does it honestly seem like that dream will ever be realized?
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:04 PM   #239
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Fair enough. But you decided not to pay attention to it. At this point all you're doing is kicking a dead horse.

I realize that all you're doing is trying to get him to realize his game could have alot more mass appeal but does it honestly seem like that dream will ever be realized?
Well, I guess not. I'm also quite sure I'm reacting out of just pure shock, too. When I read the stuff that this guy is posting, it is reminsicent of the moment when I read the words "I will not accept a banning.":

"No, it doesn't say that. That CAN'T be what he wrote. Wait, let me go back and read that again. I must have misread it. {Pause} Wow. He really said that. OK, Let me read further and see where the punch line is....."
Old 02-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #240
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:

I'd put serious money on a total and complete debacle. The half-assed way of implementing things and the sheer Daikatana-esque delays scream epic flop to me.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #241
JeeberD
General Manager

Yeesh...you gotta give a guy a warning that he's gonna run into druez over there.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #242
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Depending on the price, I'll consider buying this game. It's got to be worth the laughs, right?

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 02-04-2006 at 01:43 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #243
twothree
College Prospect

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Yeesh...you gotta give a guy a warning that he's gonna run into druez over there.

Quote:
It is time to restore the QOTM.

Yes, bring back the QOTM.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #244
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

And from what I've read, there's a lot it doesn't do...
Old 02-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #245
theclassic
n00b

If this game is $20-25 dollars I'll buy it. I have always wanted to setup a football game for high school football. With the rules being flexible, as well as the number of the teams, this might be the best way to go about it. Needless to say though, if it's anything over the previous mentioned price I'll forget it.

Some of the post that designer has written are awfully confusing, and he himself sounds confused when writing them. For example.

Quote:
Aa I mentioned, there are no contracts to deal with. There is no AI for salaries. teams can't keep players forever because they leave the team for various reasons. Only eligible free agents can be brought back to play. Players that are retired, injuried, or other wise not eligible, are not able to be kept.

Actually you could go and bring back a retired player for one year, but that's the limit.

Am I the only one who is just outwardly confused about this? You can bring back a retired player, but only for a year. Alright Jim Brown, how well can you run for the Browns again! It's only one year, per game rules. How far back are players going to be unretired? Some of the post on the draft were just as confusing. Free agents could be drafted again for example. To the best of my knowledge, and without reading a lot of the post within the thread posted at their forums, this means that career player, is basically just a re-drafting of the league every year. I hope I am wrong on that.

This game has potential. I have never really been into the whole financial part of football sims, so the fact that there won't be one isn't a total deal breaker for me. But in replace you must have a decent system of a college draft, and a smart trading AI. Something I think this game will probably lack.

I'm just holding my breathe that this game can simulate high school football with a few user created mods.
theclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #246
dervack
College Prospect

Oh man. The game will have weather events, but it won't effect the gameplay. If it won't effect the game play, does it really matter?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #247
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

One thing that appeals to me with Maximum Football is the ability to simulate pee wee leagues. I can't wait to see the state of the art graphical representations of pee wees. This is something the independent developers with their spreadsheets and dialog boxes can only dream about.

yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #248
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
One thing that appeals to me with Maximum Football is the ability to simulate pee wee leagues. I can't wait to see the state of the art graphical representations of pee wees. This is something the independent developers with their spreadsheets and dialog boxes can only dream about.

Hey, that's an illegal formation. I hope Maximum Football will penalize them for that.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #249
Dutch
"Dutch"

To go along with pee-wee football, I hope you can recreate Jack in the Box's son for that league.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:08 PM   #250
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
We need to stop wasting our time with trading, drafting, recruiting and financial AI and do more important things like making sure you can have 9 chances for your lego people to make a first down.
But....but...AI is so simple, it doesn't factor into how complex a game is! How much time could you really spend on something that's easy!?

I think all of the text sim people are jerking us around with all of this AI crap and really dropping the ball on the big feet issue. We've gone so long without big feet and it's time for a change!